Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    My Chevy Uplander with a 240 HP V6 and 4 speed automatic gets better mileage than that. Just came back from a 2k mile trip and averaged 23 MPG (combined highway and short distance travel). Van was fully loaded too. Hope your mileage improves. Good luck.
  • stilllooking4stilllooking4 Member Posts: 2
    So far, we haven't had any problems other than the gas mileage. We finally had our call returned from the general manager at the dealership and will be going in again to discuss our concerns and have our Equinox looked at. All I can suggest is you check with your dealership before your warranty expires....good luck.
  • dianen1dianen1 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    I purchased my 2011 Chevrolet Equinox in December 2010. While I really like most things about my vehicle and the dealership has been extremely nice, I'm getting frustrated. I've had my car into the shop several times for the same thing. When I start my car it makes a grinding sound. It does not do it every time but about every 3-4 starts, it will happen again. The first time I took it in, I was told there was a recall on some kind of programming so they did that. The second time they replaced the cam actuators (I know this is probably not spelled right). The third time they replaced the timing chain. This past time they replaced the timing chain guide as it was cracked. I am so disappointed because everything else about the vehicle has been GREAT! I have no idea where to turn next as my car is back in the shop AGAIN today. Now they mentioned a bulletin that is out that says there is not a fix for the problem. Am I really supposed to drive a car and pay $500+ a month for a car that sounds like that? Seriously?????
  • jodi88jodi88 Member Posts: 1
    My equinox had been in and out of the shop dies when I drive it. I have been called a liar and told by Chevys own district manager Paul wasco which I videoed that it is normal for Chevy to die when driving. Then I was rear ended when my car stalled. I called Chevy their answer was that we already gave you out answer that we are not taking back your vehicle. So I have now had to drive this death trap while I go to dr appointments for injuries to my neck back and shoulders. Then I tried to register my lemon and they would not register it because of the recall for all the things I had been complaining about. So now I take it in and Chevy tells me you'd car couldn't have been dying not could the engine light go on because the computer doesn't register it. Arg! This company is so frustrating. I don't want to get a lawyer but its crazy.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    Unbelievable...
    My wife's 2011 Equinox had gone months with no 'start-up" noise. I actually had stopped being concerned... Then we drive 300+ miles to cape Cod over the weekend. Once we were at the Cape the FIRST two restarts after the 300 mile trip... the startup noise was back! Absolutely the same noise! WHY??? There has to be a reason the noise goes away for months... then comes back on consecutive startups???? BTW The trip also reminded me of how disappointed I am with the AC vents... narrow, slits that give minimal airflow, almost none of it in the up direction!
  • toby65toby65 Member Posts: 1
    Dianen...

I am having this same problem. I get the noise when I start it with the key or the remote start (one the key & through on star). I've also been told there is "nothing wrong" it's making me nuts because I'm at 29k miles. I asked the dealer today if it would be considered a lemon & he said "probably so". I'm not sure who to contact about the problems outside of the dealership though. I also have problems with the sunroof (makes this awful noise like it needs oil) but i'm told it doesn't use lubricant & My GPS is HELL, it's been serviced multiple times and replaced once. Very annoying because I traded in a very reliable Honda CRV for this car.
  • uncfanuncfan Member Posts: 3
    I, too, have a 2011 Chevy Equinox which is now in the shop for the 2nd time re the start-up noise. It currently has 31000 miles. I heard the noise a few times prior to taking it in but wasn't sure if it was something loose until recently when it got louder. The first time it went in (less than 1000 miles ago), they replaced the actuators. I'm very concerned about all that I'm reading here and other sites on the web concerning this issue. Is it, in fact, true that GM has a bulletin or now says that there is no fix for this problem?
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    I had the acutator replacement and reflash done on my Terrain 4cyl, 2011, and to date @ 26000 miles, there has been no problems with noise or otherswise in the mechanical operation of the vehicle. This was done around 6300 miles.

Hope this helps ease your concerns.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    dianen1, CapeCod, toby65, and uncfan -

Having looked over your posts, and rather than spamming the wall, I wanted to make sure to offer our assistance in your situations. We can set up a case in our department, contact your dealerships, and potentially get your case to a more appropriate department if you would please email the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • nucrxnucrx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Equinox LTZ. This morning I was backing out of my garage and was ready to put it into Drive when I heard a dinging sound as if my seat belt were not fastened. I checked my seatbelt and it was secure. The sound stopped. As I continued on, the dinging sound once again occurred after making a stop at a stop sign. I checked the Vehicle Menu display on all pages and nothing was noted as being wrong. I proceeded to drive to work and after stopping at a stoplight, the same noise occurred again. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, did you ever find out what was causing it?
    Could it be a "false reading" that someone is sitting in front passenger seat without belt fastened? Possible a briefcase, gym bag etc is on the front passenger seat??? Did you disconnect and re-connect your seatbelt as a test for a malfunction? Maybe a piece of clothing (jacket?) or moisture is in the connection?
  • tony_deciantistony_deciantis Member Posts: 15
    Me too my fuel economy is horrible not even close to what they say Ive been to 3 dealers and everyone says Im the one with the problem (my driving habits) all my other vehicles were fine I dont think Ive changed I think its the vehicle but know one wants to admit it. I live 45 minute drive from the plant where this vehicle was made and sometimes I wonder if I should move further away from it this is the worst vehicle Ive ever had keep it up GM and chapter 11 might be coming soon and then ask people to buy your product and then see how people really feel about all of this
    Me too I think finally they are going to replace my vehicle it's only been nine months since I've had it. This is the worst vehicle I have ever had I told them I wanted replaced with V-6 engine I just need to wait and see now with what they are going to do. The person I am working with is trying to help me out so hopefully I can get out of this vehicle. I told her to go on this forum and see all the complaints. The complaints are all about the 4-cylinder but the 6 cylinder I have heard nothing but good things. The person at General Motors admit to all these problems that she knew about them so she knew I was not lying. I told her this has been a battle for the last nine months
    Received call from dealership this morning. They did hear the noise this morning and the tech agreed it was worse than before the actuators were replaced. He referenced a PI which indicates that the actuators are to be replaced (which was done at the last visit) and if that doesn't fix it, no further repairs are to be made or attempted. A programming update for the ECM is being developed that is supposed to correct the problem and nothing further can be done. No idea of when this update will come.

Have emailed Sarah my information this morning.
  • firstnoxfirstnox Member Posts: 12
    "No further repairs are to be made or attempted?" Is this your decision, the dealers, or Chevrolet's? The car is under warranty - all possible attempts to remedy the problem MUST be made. I hope you keep us posted on your progress.

We had all this work done at month 2 of ownership and knock on wood, one year later (our Equinox 4 Cylinder) is a year old today. I read this column every day to see what this car is doing to people. Never again with Chevy!
    This is the instruction per the PI (dated April 2012) which is from GM. So, I guess you'd say the decision was the dealership's per GM. Certainly not mine...

This was my first brand new Chevrolet since 1994. Very disappointed and not sure I'd buy GM again. Feel like I made a very expensive mistake.
  • pfacpfac Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying my 17 year old a car and she loves the Chevy Equinox. I have owned Tahoes for many years and couldn't be happier.

Am I safe with the EQUINOX 6 cy. or has anyone had issues as well??? Is it just the 4 cyl???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • ejbergejberg Member Posts: 3
    This is the identical story I heard this week after the dealer replaced my cam actuators again. No timetable on the reprogram that will supposedly ensure that the cams return to the zero position at start-up ... per the service manager, the fact that they're not zeroing is supposedly the root cause of the start-up noise. So, to me it sounds like replacing cam actuators doesn't fix anything -- it's just a delaying tactic that might help muffle the noise while making it seem like they're doing something.
  • rs61512rs61512 Member Posts: 1
    I was driving my 2011 equinox last week when I lost acceleration. I had to coast into a parking lot, put the car in park, tried drive again, nothing. I shut the car off, turned it back on, and it was fine. Three days later, I lost acceleration again. This time, everytime I tried to accelerate, the car stalled. Kept restarting it, nothing. Had to have it towed to dealership. They got it, said it worked great, and could find nothing wrong with it. Started a case with GM, and they are terrible! The first girl told me they could probably get me a rental, since this is a safety issue, then they decided it hasnt happened enough to warrant help. Mechanic said it sounds electrical, but they cannot find a problem. I have been lucky enough to have been in a aprking lot, or small road, but I do mostly highway driving and I am terrified to drive it now!
  • fuzzhead1fuzzhead1 Member Posts: 3
    I just had this happen to me today. It was 90 and it kicked off the air and when I stopped and turned it off and on it finally started too work. I have nothing but poblems since I bought one year ago
    Stay away from the Equinox or Terrain, both 4 and 6 cylinders. Unless you're planning on buying another full-size sport utility (Tahoe, etc.), then stay away from GM (i.e. Equinox, Terrain, Acadia, Traverse). They're all problematic, both 4 and 6 cylinders.
  • dljwdljw Member Posts: 1
    Our 2011 Equinox 4cyl has under 10,000 miles and usually has the starter noise on a cold engine. The dealer will not hear the noise unless the car sits before starting. We were also given the line about replacing the actuators but we knew it would not correct the starter problem. It is just a waste of time and money for GM to even insult their customers with this as a solution. I would like to know how long before GM corrects this problem. How long have they been working on correcting this problem. I started having this problem about 6 mos ago and there were complaints then. Anyone with an engineer degree have any ideas why the starter grinds and what damage it is doing to the engine?
    Just like yours and mine and many others out there with this piece of crap they messed up and they can't figure it out. So now we are stuck with this garbage. I have driven GM over 20 years now and this is the worst vehicle I have ever had just like the rest of the people on this forum and the people who are not on this forum I'm trying to get them to switch my vehicle to a V6 but it's like pulling teeth my fuel economy is very poor they say it's my driving habits looks like we all have the same driving habits. Then there is Sarah on GM customer service who makes it sound like she's trying to help but nothing seems to happen
    We are talking the same noise here???
    Mine sounds VERY much like the sound of a diesel engine and is from within the engine. Does not sound like a "grind" and although it is heard at start-up it is not from the starter.
    My ultimate fear is down the road this leads to a serious and expensive engine repair... past warranty of course. The other fear is once the problem is commonly known, I'm stuck with a lemon no one wants in trade in. Remember the Chevrolet Vega !!!
    BTW I'm sure Sarah from GM Customer Service is just a false identity... much like "Peggy" from the charge card commercial. Probably a roomful of Sarah's trolling the different GM forums promising customer service... cheaper than actually fixing the problem?? Or worse... "What problem?"
    Do I sound a bit testy... probably because my startup noise is back and happening more frequently after 4 to 5 month absence! I even like my dealership but I still remember their look of puzzlement when I mentioned the noise to them nearly 9 months ago. Never even made it to the work order?
    I believe GM is reworking their 4 cylinder engine and will come out with a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder within the next year. They may not want to invest a lot in the current 2.4 liter engine since it will be replaced. Just a thought.
  • bdownenbdownen Member Posts: 1
    My wife is having the same problem with her Equinox. At least 4 times so far the engine has just stopped. It is undoubtedly a major safety issue and she now does not trust it to safely get her to work and back. She's bringing it in to the dealership a second time today, although we know how that will end up going. "We can't reproduce it and the software doesn't show any failures". Which means we'll have to wait until it fails and causes an accident before they take the problem seriously.

If, by some act of God, Chevy acknowledges an issue and repairs it, you'll be the first to know.
    Just like you me and all the others but if our warranties were over I could just imagine how many codes and problems they would of found
  • viper222viper222 Member Posts: 1
    Well here's what's up!!! Been dealing with this P.O.S for a year now. First of all I had to provide the PIP for the dealer, they had no idea!!? Unreal and they are the "pros"? Took it in for engine noise and stalling on start up...no idiot light.. or anything. They checked the starter mounting bolts and sent it out the door!! CND (can not duplicate). Drive it for a week engine noise again and I said this thing is only getting 25MPG! Car had almost 10,000 miles on it when they finally changed some parts. They did some cam phazers...I had the car another week same shity mileage! Took it back because I asked them if they changed the oil when they did the cam phazers and they said no! Told them MPG was still bad. They found out the fuel pump orings fail and it jacks fuel in the crank case...it mixes with the oil intern the poor mileage. OK...stop right there!! Raw fuel in the crank case!! How many THOUSANDS of miles did this take of the engine and we have been driving it this way since NEW!! I sent an oil sample in to a lab to get tested...came back "could not tell viscosity of oil. Sample again at next change and resubmit" Well....now have just over 19,000 miles on the car and engine noise on start up is back!! My oil life meter says it's at 50% yet, but we put some miles on so I decide to change it last night. Drained the BLACKEST...SMELLIEST oil I have ever seen come out of a car with only 4000 miles on the oil!! Needless to say I took it to the dealer today and guess WHAT? Need some more cam phazers!! P.O.S I am so sick of this car!! I have sent another sample off in the mail today and should have results back soon. Heading for the BBB and the lemon law next!!
  • oldfogey2oldfogey2 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2011 Equinox back from the dealer for the 2nd time for the transmission downshifting very hard and jerking. They reprogramed the "Transmission Control Module" (TCM). There is a GM Service update, dated April 23, 2012. The Document number is "PI0724 : Harsh 2-3 Shift" it addresses the 2011 Chevy Equinox and the 2011 GMC Terrain. Equipped with the 2.4 Engine RPO LAF and Equipped with 6T45 Automatic Transmission RPOs MHC, MH7. It appears to have corrected the problem. (for Now)
  • lsmithhartlsmithhart Member Posts: 21
    I would agree with the seat belt warning. I often carry a laptop briefcase on my seat and it does the same thing. Clear off the seat and life goes on... fixed. Now if my 15,000 mile Equinox was that easy to fix! I too have had the cam sensor issue, causing the vehicle to break down in a bad part of town... at night... with my wife driving! I bought her this vehicle to give me peace of mind, and now she drives my 2007 Mazda.
    I heard a noise at 1000 miles and was told that it was normal for the engine. I disagreed, but had no recourse. Now, at 15,000 it is no longer a reliable vehicle in my eyes.
  • eng_problemseng_problems Member Posts: 1
    After having patiently read all of the 2010-2011 Chevy Equinox problems associated with the 2.4L engine I have decided to add to the discussions. I purchased a 2011 Equinox in April 2010. Approximately 1 year later we had the same issues with engine knocks and excessive oil consumption that many other owners have reported. After researching the problems I also reviewed the many PI's, Bulletins, and Engineering Investigations that are currently in effect for this vehicle. For those of you that are frustrated (along with me) I do have several recommendations.

1. Immediately file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau auto branch. This can be found online. You will be asked to provide some information and sign a few papers.

2. Investigate the lemon laws in your state and contact an attorney for guidance.

3. We need to get the word out to the consumer public that this is a problem GM vehicle. Establish accounts and relay the problems that you have had with your vehicle on all the major blogs and auto consumer review websites that are available.

4. If you have a consumer watch advocate (local TV station or radio) in your local community contact them and explain some of your issues.

5. Make sure that you are documenting every repair made to your vehicle and ensure that you have given your dealership ample opportunity to fix the problem. Lemon laws vary from state to state as to what "ample opportunity" is.

Yes, to get any real resolution to your problem it is going to take some work and effort. I personally am a patriotic person and purchased my Chevy Equinox because of its good reviews and I wanted to see the company succeed after being in such financial difficulties. But, after spending my hard earned money on what I hoped would be a long term, reliable vehicle and getting such a nightmare in return, I can honestly say that I will never purchase another Chevy vehicle. You, the consumer, can make your own choice.
  • gary0410gary0410 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a used 2010 Equinox with the 2.4L engine. I read all the reviews from the big sites, and consumer ratings here on Edmunds and kbb.com. I saw no reason to hesitate in getting the 4 cylinder version - and I did. Two days after I bought it, it stalled in traffic which lead me to this blog and others like it with the engine problems.

That is the first part of my story.

The second part is I called my Dealership (Which is a Chevrolet Dealership) and spoke with the service department to set up a drop off date. I dropped it off 07/11/2012. When dropping it off I included a letter with this blurb to the Service Advisor:

......."The Equinox stalled on me in traffic last week. It was running rough so I turned the A/C down thinking maybe it was just too hot to have it blasting with the weather we were having. At the next stop light, I stopped and it immediately stalled on me. It started right back up, but still ran rough. Since this has happened, on start-up many times it runs rough, especially when being engaged in reverse. It has on numerous occasions seemed like it wanted to stall when I slow down and stop at stop signs and stop lights. Also, upon acceleration, I have occasionally been getting a Chugging (thwap thwap thwap in fast succession) sound (like it’s misfiring within the engine) – with this seems to come reduced power. I have read numerous Technical Service Bulletins that pertain to this issue within the 2.4L DI Engine in my vehicle and even a couple recall campaigns. I trust that you can do the research and find exactly which ones may pertain to my vehicle.

One important thing: During my research people having this problem report that gasoline mixes with the oil and can cause excessive oil consumption and the viscosity of the oil becomes unsuitable for the engine. Please verify that my engine oil is suitable and not in need of replacement."........

This morning (07/12/2012) I received a call from my Service Technician that he has just experienced many if not all the problems I spoke about and my vehicle is receiving an ENTIRE new engine. No questions asked, no run around, no trying to fix this or that - an entirely new engine.

I have a loaner vehicle now, while it's in the repair shop for the next week. So far, even though I do not feel that I should be going through this with a 2 year old vehicle, I must say that my specific service department is being amazing about it. I will definitely update on this thread any and all information I receive through out this process.

Hopefully I can help some of you get your cars working in correct order again. There is nothing worse than having no confidence in a new or almost new vehicle that you are making massive monthly payments on. But as I said, for now, my experience STARTING OUT in this endeavor is going smoothly.

I will update soon.
  • firstnoxfirstnox Member Posts: 12
    Gary,

This is encouraging news. Where is your dealer? Are they willing to provide you with a written explanation on why the stalling occurs and why they are authorized to replace the engine? It takes one snowflake to make a snowball and your information will help us all.

Thanks you for the news!
    I will definitely be asking for a report on what exactly was done and why it was done when my vehicle is ready. I own it and I feel I have a right to know that information.

When the service adviser told me the entire engine would be replaced I was a little taken aback - only because I haven't seen this outcome many times in the blogs and forums. I'm happy about it - Just didn't expect it.

When I asked, over the phone, what the reasoning was - the service adviser told me that it was an internal problem with the engine. (Which for many or most people is probably a sufficient answer, but I want details) He said no more about it and we went straight to scheduling my pick up of the loaner vehicle.

My dealership is in Merrillville, Indiana - 35 miles southeast of Chicago. I have bought four cars from them the past seven years, and the service department never fails me. I've never had a problem this severe in the past, but hopefully it all ends well too.

The other three cars I bought from them were brand new, this one is the first used car. I have no records or knowledge of what engine problems the previous owner had, if any - but I do know it was a local one-owner vehicle and not a Rental/Fleet vehicle or anything of that sort.
  • naphirinaphiri Member Posts: 3
    I began having problems with my 2010 Chevy Equinox shortly
    after I bought it NEW in late 2010. I started to hear a clattering noise when I accelerated especially in first and second gears. During the first year of ownership, several brake lights went out so I took I to the local dealership and asking about the clattering noise. I was essentially patted on the head and told to use a higher octane fuel to address the knocking. Naturally that didn't work. Once he noise became so loud you could hear it with the windows rolled up and the air conditioning on, I took it back to the dealership. Thankfully they had been bought out in the interim and the idiot I dealt with before was gone. Immediately, the staff recognized the problem and after several days in a rental car told me gas had leaked into my oil but the engine would not require replacing and the issue had been resolved. Needless to say, it has not. A few months later my car was back in the shop again and now the engine is being replaced just like so many others in his forum. Gradually the engine noise returned to the point that my 4 cylinder sounded like a diesel truck. I hope to have the car back by next week. I was told there is a bulletin out about the engine failure but they have "fixed" the problems and the new engine will work fine. I have no faith in Chevy or this car. The equinox was supposed to be my son's first car. I feel I am between a rock and a hard place because I really don't want my son to drive his car and neither do I want to pass this problem on to someone else. I will never buy another GM product. I wish Saturn were still around. GM really screwed up a good thing there. Did I also mention it left me stranded on the road when the battery failed for no apparent reason? Not even 40,000 miles on the car!
  • naphirinaphiri Member Posts: 3
    I can definitely confirm that the fuel economy on my new 2010 Equinox is not what was advertised EVER. I have tried higher octane gas and it didn't really matter. My car is now being fitter with a new engine because the fuel injectors were flooding the cylinders with gasoline. Obviously, this has a lot to do with the poor fuel economy. Dreadful.
    Where did you get this PI0724 from cause no one at general motors knows about this. It's like they want to help but the don't give a damn I'm just sick and tired how this vehicle shifts gears and I'm tired of hearing it's the characteristics of the vehicle and my driving habits this as got to stop and a correction needs to be done. Can someone please help me cause I'm sick of this every single day
    edited July 2012
    Received my Vehicle back last Thursday (7/19/2012). Engine was replaced, REPAIR REFERENCE PIP5025 - If you do a Google search it comes up as Excessive Oil Consumption causing cylinder damage.

Again, PIP5025 - This is a newly released service bulletin from GM.

Sounds like a happy ending except I already have gas mixing with my oil again and can smell it in a bad way. I'm going back to the dealership tomorrow morning (Monday 7/23/2012) for them to see what the heck is going on now.

All I can say to people about this is keep a detailed record of EVERY repair and even conversation you have with your dealership, report to safercar.gov, and keep your fingers crossed that a GM "fix" actually sticks and we can all move on with our lives over this. It's quite irritating, to say the least.

Will update when I can.

P.S. If this new gas smell from the oil turns into another long in shop repair, I'm also going to file a report with General Motors - From what I understand it may not do much, but at least I'll have record of doing so.
    Ive been constantly following this site I guess people are really fed up with these problems GM is such a joke at the way they have been. I've called them wrote on their Facebook page messaged them on their website and nothing they are so full of it. Sometimes they were better off filing for chapter 11 and none of us would of had this problem. I driven GM all my life but I'm coming to a point where I have to change companies. But really they are all the same crap. Nice to you when they need something (a sale) but then they don't give a damn
    Honestly I completely disagree. I think MANY of the issues people are having are with specific dealer service departments. GM is standing behind it's power train warranty - and my dealership has been pretty good to date. Problems arise - and I've been following this site since my problem started, during it's repair, and now afterwards. Many people on here complain complain complain and then they disappear - most likely because their Equinox is now fixed and they moved on with their lives. People are quick to complain but very rarely do they give out praise once they have done so. I'm not HAPPY about having to go through an engine replacement in a two year old Equinox - but GM did everything I expected a company to do once the problem arose - as well as with my dealership. Consider me 100% satisfied with GM at this time.
  • ejbergejberg Member Posts: 3
    While I'm glad that YOU finally achieved some sort of satisfaction, my nightmare continues and GM is now just brushing me off -- even though they acknowledge the problem and claim they are working on a fix. I don't constantly go online to maintain a diary of dealer and GM failed fix attempts (I'm up to 6 multi-day service visits now, with several part replacements plus reprogramming).

Although I've gotten GM to admit that there are WIDESPREAD problems with the 2011 Equinox (one GM Customer Service rep actually said "everyone is having this problem"), at this point they are essentially telling me to shut up and stop bothering them, since they have nothing to offer. They expect me to just patiently wait for my dealer to call me when they've released a software update -- which, per their statement, will be available "in the third quarter of 2012 at the earliest." And, against my objections (since the vehicle wasn't fixed), they actually closed my case.

So, the vehicle that I bought brand new off the dealer's lot for my long commute is probably not going last very far past the warranty period, if it even makes it that far. Let's face facts here: the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox has design flaws that GM still has not fixed.

I've lost all faith in GM and my dealer (Quirk Chevy in Manchester, NH), and they think it is OK to inconvenience me when they are at fault. I've told them repeatedly that I will leave my vehicle with them as long as they want IF they provide a vehicle for me to use, but they insist that I sit in their service department for hours waiting for them to have a revelation before they will authorize a loaner, claiming it's GM's policy.
    With all due respect, people do have the right to complain. Some Equinox owners have had so many problems that they can not rely on their vehicle. Also, consider the following:
    1. Even if GM fixes it right the first time, should engines be torn apart to replace actuators, camshafts, timing chains, etc. on almost brand new vehicles? What kind of engineering goes into these vehicles?

2. Should stalling in intersections or on the freeway be occurring?

These are major problems. Customers who spend $25k to $30k of their hard earned money on a new vehicle should not be going back to the dealership to fix so many major problems. My last new vehicle was a 2006 Dodge Caravan that I paid under $16. I had no warranty claims. This should be the norm.
    I am thankful these "complainer" boards exist. Because of this board I know the startup engine noise I hear intermittenly is not just happening on my vehicle. Like some others here my local dealer still likes to pretend they do not know noise I am speaking of. Also like others here I wonder what problems I will have months or years from now. Some of the posters here have many more miles on their vehicles than I do. They are my test pilots.
    Recently I have noticed (15k miles) that my idle can be rough at times but thankfully no stalling yet. I subscribed to this board so I would get updates! Keep them coming!
    Finally after almost a year of myself and the many others out there GM has finally released what they call a software update which is PI0724A which is the cure for the 2-3 hard shift I will be doing this next week cause the dealers are way to busy. So after complaining to who knows how many people threatening them to take my vehicle back they've found the solution to this mystery I hope. By Thursday of next week I will be updating my experiences with this update but don't wait for me get this done ASAP and take away all your problems. P.S. when I spoke to the dealer today I refreshed his memory from last year and mentioned to him isn't this the characteristics of the vehicle????? Or my driving habits????? He said no do I replied to him so when I told you all this why wouldn't you believe me. So bottom line is when someone tells you something listen before you jump the gun.
    First of all, anyone saying that they have a right to complain is right. I NEVER once said you didn't have the right to complain. What I DID say is that it seems to me people are having problems with their specific dealerships and then blaming GM as a whole for their experience. That isn't fair.

Nor is it fair that GM didn't better engineer their engine before putting into vehicles. Look at my past posts, I wasn't happy about this AT ALL. It's ridiculous. BUT - GM offers a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty and IS FIXING these problems UNDER warranty - when it's taken to a dealership that is actually aware of the problem and not making YOU jump through hoops. Don't blame GM for your dealership making you jump through hoops to get a loaner car. I received a loaner the day I dropped my Equinox off.

I offered up what I experienced to everyone on this board by giving all the information that I received throughout my process. I hated going through it, but you have warranties for a reason. If every carmaker made perfect cars there would be absolutely no need for them.

And I still stand by the fact that most of the people on here who complained about their Equinox then never came back to update us on their experience is because it was fixed and they went on their merry way. Otherwise, as is human nature, they would have been back here complaining again. Complain away if you have problems - just don't assume they are always GM's fault when they (GM) is releasing the fix information to dealerships and standing behind the fixes 100%.
  • lsmithhartlsmithhart Member Posts: 21
    Since my earlier post, I have had my engine worked on. It was, indeed, the camshaft sensors (among other things). Now I only have the updates to do, then wait and see if it's a fix, or a bandaid. The disappointment that we all feel is very real, and may well make us think twice about GM as our next purchase. I, for one, believe that the mistake was rushing to production and not giving this 4 cyl. enough road testing.

It's hard to imagine, given the shear numbers involved, that this problem would not have come out with proper pre production road/load tests. Yes it is expensive and time consuming to do these tests, but look at what happens when you DON'T do it. Statistically, it's likely that somewhere between 25 and 30 percent of those who own the "bad" engines will avoid GM like the plague for many years. Unfortunate, because overall, these are good vehicles.

So, as much as it hurts to say this, if GM comes through with a real fix, and takes care of us when the time comes to look into another new vehicle, I will consider moving forward WITH GM. It's not like they are alone in making these mistakes. Ford had a major issue recently software, requiring a patch that is not a real "fix" at all. Range Rover is always having problems, and that is a much more expensive vehicle. I could go on, but why.

Let's just hope it's fixed... and if not, let's bury GM in a mountain of bad press and social media alerts. There is no better way to make manufacturers deliver a quality product, and hurt them if they don't, then to inform potetial buyers BEFORE they spend. GOOD LUCK ALL!
    Took my vehicle in today for the update and guess what it's like nothing was even done. So now what after I was told the vehicle was road tested and everything was fine. What's next in my personal opinion it's a waste of time. Or did they not even do anything? I thought my problems were over but there not so whats my next step. I have a plan and GM won't like it so Tuesday when the person calls me back I will let her know, or else I take my action against them.
  • jujudjujud Member Posts: 9
    I have to turn channel when I hear Chevy's commercial on TV-they will buy back 2012-2013 car if you are not satisfied within certain time/miles. It is like adding misery to pain. I posted last year after my 2011 4cyl. stalled on me right after I bought it in May, then an additional 3 times. Computer did not register them. Dealer finally updated comp. after my insistence from readings on Edmonds. Then finally got GM recall in August and they at that point replaced sensors & celoids. Asked for a buy back/trade even for another car(I paid $31,000 cash)-Chevy district rep said no. At 21,000 miles I am finally getting 18-19 mpg. Talked to 2012 4cyl. 2 mo.owner at gas station yesterday and he is getting 32mpg already-happy for him but sickening for me as I got in my car. Mine runs rough and kind of jerky when it auto changes gears up/down. Just saw new comp.update on here to help with that. Called dealer this week and he had not heard of it, quoted #Pt10724A to him and said he would get back to me. Told him I was sick about their new commercial to Chevy and tell them I still want a buy back.....like it will do any good! Should have gotten lawyer last year! Is there a class action suit out there anywhere? They know they screwed up on 2011 Eq. I think. Service manager at another Chev. dealorship told me Chevy changed 2012 engine some when they changed my oil. I am doing all servicing at Chevy and keeping records too. They have not gotten any bad publicity about this car. Why?
    PI0724A is useless it doesn't do anything now the newest problem I have is there is rust coming out on my vehicle it's very noticeable on the white one is yours white and if it is look at the back where it's most noticeable. I even went to a dealership today saw new ones in the lot with rust on the vehicle this is b.s.
  • jujudjujud Member Posts: 9
    I don't see rust in back,but I have a plastic back bumper in the back. I do see where my garage concrete is black under the muffler(?) pipe. I back into garage and line car up in same place every time. I do have a white car, but see no rust.