Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning upset2011owner,

It looks as though you've spoken with Customer Assistance on this already; if you would like, please forward us the last 8 digits of your VIN or the Service Request number (71-***********) to socialmedia@gm.com and we can check into this further.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • mark312mark312 Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading about all the problems with the Equinox shifting problems and I am at my witts end too. I bought a 2010 Equinox on April the 9th of 2010 and in August of 2010 I had a hard 2nd to 3rd shift. It sounded like the transmission was falling out of the car. Since we were on vacation I had to wait until we got home to take it to the shop. This vehicle has been in the shop 6 times, had a data recorder put in and our local GM/Chevy dealership even kept it for a week to see if they could simulate the issue. The shop manager drove it and said that something was wrong but they couldn't pull up any fault codes and besides the GM rep told me over the phone that they wouldn't do anything else for me. Well guess what, GM hasn't done anything for me at all! They told me to just drive it until it tears up. Now this is an everyday occurance and my wife will not even drive this vehicle anymore. I even wrote an E-Mail to the CEO of GM and NEVER recieved a reply of ANY kind. I have a 1992 GMC pickup and a 2000 chevy prizm with NO transmission issues. Goodby GM, I am through with you guys. All you wanted was my money with NO help fixing this problem!!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    mark312,

We're sorry to hear about this situation and would be glad to look into it further. Could we please have you email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN)?

• madincoloradomadincolorado Member Posts: 1
    I did alot of research before purchsing this vehicle brand new in 2011 and have currently owned it for 1 1/2 years. Unfortunately during the research process it seemed like a good vehicle with good gas mileage; which is what I was looking for. :cry: Nothing but trouble from the get go.

The speakers have been replaced, the shifting mechanism has been replaced, they have not replaced the tires which I am very MAD about. They have been a problem since I purchased the vehicle! I have proof on my monthly ONSTAR Vehicle Report. First the tire on the front drivers side would not stay inflated (supposed to be at 35 PSI we fill it every month with air and with 20 days or so it is down to about 25 or 26 and now the same thing is happening with the drivers side rear tire.

The BIGGEST Problem is THE LACK OF GOOD GAS MILEAGE! THIS VEHICLE IS ADVERTISED AT 32MPG HIGHWAY WHICH IS WHY I PURCHASED THE CAR!! I HAVE BEEN LUCKY TO GET MAYBE 22MPG HIGHWAY! And possibly getting 17 City which is ludicrous!!

Never believe what you hear or read about a car published by GM! They are liars; to say the least!!

Now the last 2x we have gone to Denver 3 hours from where we live on the way back the A/C completelty stops working and they can't find anything wrong with it!!

DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK!! I AM WARNING YOU NOW, TELL YOUR FRIENDS, RELATIVES AND EVERYONE ELSE NOT TO BUY THIS VEHICLE. IT IS A LEMON AND GM COULD CARE LESS!!
  • tony_deciantistony_deciantis Member Posts: 15
    When you go on the hiway you need to reset your miles per gallon section behind the steering wheel. I had the same problem I did a lot of research called GM and they told me to reset it set the vehicle to cruise and surprisingly I got 34.6 miles per gallon which was really good on the other hand in the city it's horrible on gas I can only get 360-400 miles per tank. The harsh shifting I got used to by now. I hope this can help you.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    madincolorado,

We're sorry to hear that you've had these troubles with your new Equinox. It looks as though your current concern is the tire inflation, correct? If you would like more information on tire warranties, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

• devilsbaydevilsbay Member Posts: 5
    UPDATE: My diagnosis last time I was in the shop (the time of my original post) was that my check engine light was throwing a P0300 engine misfire detected with cylinder 4. Having misfired in history. They said that it was also throwing #PIP5029B that talks about carbon deposits causing misfires at times.

They cleaned my valves with upper engine cleaner and added fuel treatment to my tank. They road tested the vehicle and no misfire was detected. They claimed this took a week to do!

Now it's almost a month later and the check engine light came on again. I took it to the shop and they told me it's throwing the same error code of a engine misfire in cylinder 4. They told me they have to take the engine apart and send the cylinder head to a machine shop to either shave it down or find out if it has a crack.

I took the vehicle in on Friday morning. They gave me a rental car in place of my vehicle as it states in my warrenty. However, I told them I would like to be put in a rental vehicle of the same caliber of my vehicle in the shop. I paid over $40,000 in cash for this vehicle fully loaded (navigation, dvd, heated seats, etc...) and i've been put in a base model vehicle that my carseat barely fit in AGAIN! I complained and they put me in a jeep cherokee but had me return a day later because i needed to be in a chevy vehicle. When I returned the chevy vehicle is no different (base model again) and i'm on my way out of town with a 2 year old for a 10 hour trip in thanksgiving traffic. I've had to purchase a GPS system for this vehcile, a dvd player for my child, and extra chargers for my phones because this rental is not equipt!

On top of all of that, when I came to pick up the rental vehicle it was on E with the gas light flashing and the tire warning light was on (said the front right tire is low on air). I told the rental agent and he said "oh it's probably just a little low on air, you can fill that up at any gas station." I'm sorry but shouldn't have that been taken care of before I recieved the vehicle? And how dare you tell me that it's my responsibility to go and fill the air in the tire! Not to mention, AGAIN I had no help from anyone changing out the stroller, car seat, other items in my vehicle to the rental. So I had to hold a 2 year old (PREGNANT) while changing out the car seat, putting the stroller in the back, getting my briefcase from work, diaper bag, Toys of my childs, etc...

Now I understand it may not be policy to help someone, but when you see a woman obviously struggling to get all of her items and her child into the rental you think some decent human being would be willing to help her. No not at Chevy or Enterprise (the company they rent with). They treat you like dirt!

So now it's Tuesday morning at 11:00 am and I still have yet to hear from the dealership. I have no idea what the status of my vehicle is, what has been diagnosed, and for all i know my vehicle is just sitting in their bay. I've called the corporate headquarters and have been assigned a representative who will hopefully be helping to solve this. My service # is 71-112-820-7939.

I'm formally writing a letter to Chevy letting them know that I cannot drive this vehicle they've sold me. It's not safe and I have several mechanics telling me that I should just cut my losses. For a vehicle to stall out, be unpredictable, rough idol, and have misfiring cylinders is just an unsafe vehicle to be in. To already have engine issues at 45,00 miles tells me i've bought a faulty vehicle. I will not risk my child's life - I will cut my losses and take the bus if I have to. I drive an hour to and from work every day. I can't afford for something to go wrong. God forbid I'm at a stop light and the engine stalls and someone hits my child and I and something happen to us.

I refuse to put our lives in danger!
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    Without a doubt you will get a post here from 'GM sarah' but no other support from GM. My wife's Equinox is about 25k miles behind yours. Like many others here... we wonder what the future will bring. Sounds like the future is not very rosy. And we also have the double edge sword of taking a double hit once more people start hitting the higher mileage marks. More problems=more complaints=more publicity=lower trade-in value! Wondering out-loud, I imagine ultimately the problem will have something to do with the 'dex' oil. As a previous GM owner I remember well the 'dex' antifreeze problem of the late 1990's. Remember the mini fiber hockey pucks they put in the cooling system to fill the gaps!
  • sma1sma1 Member Posts: 20
    Good luck on speaking with a rep. I went in a vicious circle with one and also a district manager who was very unprofessional. Its a joke ad they refuse to acknowledge that there is anything wrong with the vehicle. If you Google "Chevy stalling" you will see an overwhelming amount of complaints regarding stalling. Its amazing how Chevy gets away with this. I finally did in fact cut my loss and trading the vehicle in as it was discovered that the motor was consuming oil therefore causing the motor to loose pressure which was causing the stalling. I've paid in over $8000 in car payments in the 18 months I've had this vehicle along with $1500 of my own cash down payment. All's GM was willing to give me was $3000... Whoopy doo. I look at it this way...either I do this or wait till I hit 100.000 miles and this vehicle take a crap on me after my warrant expires. Yes they were willing to put a new motor in... But you know... I bought this vehicle factory and I want the motor to stay factory and not have it ripped out and disassembled... This is not what I paid for. I wish you luck... And pay attention to your oil as I discovered it to be down to a dangerously low one quart with no oil light lighting signaling it was low...when I took it in for an oil change ut was discovered which helped diagnose the stalling issue. I will never buy another Chevy... This was my first and my last.
  • angrychevyangrychevy Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone else tell me if they have had issues with their 2011 Chevy Equinox. On Sunday, November 25, my tire pressure sensor light flashed on my dash. I pulled over to see if the tire was low, which I knew they were not because I just had my oil changed and tires rotated they were fine. All of my gages went dead, the wipers were going crazy and when I put the car in park, it would not let me proceed. I shut the vehicle down and then it would not start and to make it worse the key got stuck in the ignition. It has 30,150 miles and I was expecting to keep it until it was paid for........this is my second issue. The first was the cam phase sensor which had to be replaced and caused me to be with my car. The car is still at the dealer and as of 4pm today, Tuesday, November 27 they still have yet to diagnose or fix it. I'm very frustated and re-thinking that the gas mileage part of this is worth it.
    If anyone has any known issues, such as me, please provide the info to me. I am dealing with someone at the main headquarters at this point and I would love to share more similar concerns with her.
    :confuse:
  • firstnoxfirstnox Member Posts: 12
    We have the same Tire Pressure light issue. It comes on every 4-6 weeks and we take it to the dealer and they tell us there is a slow leak in the tire. But, they cannot find it. Same light all the time. My gas mileage is 20 MPG and much less than my 1996 Merecedes 300. I think the 2011 Equinox was over marketed and it has real problems - but our dealer seems to think they will work themselves out.

I know I will never be American and buy American again - especially a GM product. I cannot figure out why they cannot make a dependable car.

Good luck and sorry to hear of your issues.
    OMG! This just happened to me.....and the car has been into the shop for 2 days and they tell me they cannot diagnose the issue. They also said this is not a known issue. I'm so angry right now. :sick:

Tell me if you still have the vehicle and if so how did they resolve the issue.

Thanks!

Angry Chevy girl!
  • nox123nox123 Member Posts: 76
    Your Nox story is very confussiing and hard to ...Having oil changed and tires rotated will not prevent a tire failure or air leak. Your gauges went dead or "not working as engineered by GM" and wiper blades went CRAZZY!!! You put car in park and it would not PROCEED; the car is not going to proceed in PARK! So you shut engine down and then it would not start; then Key got stuck in ignition...Wow....so did you contact a locksmith and then get towed to dealer. You need to resolve your current Nox issues and frustrations and try to avoid any more negative feed back at this point...Before You drive yourself CRAZZY! I personally think the NOX is a pretty good truck for the money; and I have not experienced any of these strange or frustrating issues mentioned with my 2010 4cyl 50.000 mile Nox to date. Glad its paid for and getting 23.5 MPG around city and close to 30 mpg on road trips; my Nox is saving me some money!
  • dsb216dsb216 Member Posts: 2
    My tire pressure light went on for a week. It happened the night of a snowstorm, so I thought it had something to do with the cold weather. It resolved on its own. I will not buy Chevy again. I had a Malibu for 10 years, and it was a great car. Imagine my disappointment with this inferior model. It's only a year and a half, and I can't wait until the loan is paid off. It's a nice looking car, but it has a lot of mechanical issues.
    We'd be happy to check into this further with your dealership if you like, firstnox. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a brief recap of the situation).

sma1 - I'm with you.... will never purchase a GM vehicle again! I've been in contact with the social media rep on here as well as a district manager at GM and keep getting phone calls that they need a few more days. They are still reviewing my case.

In the meantime i've been in this rental vehicle for more than 2 weeks and Greenwood Chev dealership has made a total of two phone calls to me to give me status of my vehicle. Just yesterday when I showed up there finally they told me that the #4 cylinder had to be replaced because the machine shop couldn't fix it.

Meanwhile GM corporate has asked me to deliver all of my maintenance receipts to the dealership. Well my husband does all of the oil changes uses Mobil 1 synthetic oil. So i had to print out our bank statements from our trips to Auto zone to purchase the materials because we usually don't keep those reciepts. I also printed out all of my bank records for the gas i use so they know I don't put crap gas in my vehicle.

At this point i'm pretty sure there won't be any resolution to this and they will end up returning this unsafe vehicle to me.

I have no idea how i'm going to get to work everyday now.. I'm not driving that death trap!
    I'm sorry to tell you that my dealership did all my maintenance, relaxed cellinoids,a faulty fuel pump, 5 sensors... The list goes on. And it continued to stall out. GM is useless.... It is really sad that a "made in the USA" company will not back their vehicles. I had multiple retail vehicles free is charge through my dealer... I spoke to GM twice and the district manager who went in circles completely discounting my complaints with her own justification.... Which was basically telling me that there was no proof! REALLY...the mechanics finally discovered my motor was consuming oil! She still had the nerve to argue and I finally hung up on her. Excuse my French... But the district manager was a complete [non-permissible content removed]! Oh she did her job well! She managed to make GM money by giving me only $3000 toward a new vehicle....and I'm at a loss of $8000 (which is in their pockets because I lost a year and a half of payments and had to start a new loan all over again). Great for GM... Sucks for me.....
    GOTTA LOVE THE SOCIAL MEDIA EXPERIENCE AT GM.......THEY WANT YOUR VIN NUMBER, YOUR MILEAGE AND WHAT DEALER YOUR VEHICLE IS AT AND THEN THE BLANK STATEMENT, WE ARE SORRY ABOUT YOUR ISSUE. OH REALLY, WELL I SEE IT SITLL ISN't FIXED GM SOCIAL MEDIA. DAY 5 AT THE DEALER AND MY MESSAGE TODAY WAS, WE ORDERED A NEW BCM AND SHOULD BE HERE SOME TIME NEXT WEEK. WOO HOO FOR YOU GM, YOU DON'T EVEN MANUFACTURE ANY OF THE PARTS THAT YOU ASSEMBLE INTO YOUR NAMEPLATED GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLES. DO YOU EVEN HOLD YOUR SUPPLIERS ACCOUNTABLE FOR SCREWING UP YOUR CUSTOMER BASE. OH I KNOW, I'M ONLY ONE PERSON AND IF YOU SHUT ME UP, I WON'T GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT YOUR FAULTY PRODUCT. THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE AND YOU FAIL TO FIX THE ISSUE. I'M AM NOT BUYING THE EXTENDED WARRANTY THAT YOU JUST IRONICALLY SENT ME AFTER MY CAR IS IN THD DEALER FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU FAILED TO FIX! NEWS FLASH FOLKS, FIX MY ISSUE OR I WILL RANT ON AND ON AND YEAH I AM ONLY ONE PERSON, BUT THE POWER OF ONE PERSON CAN GO ON AND ON AND I WILL GO ON AND ON ABOUT WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP YOU SELL TO THE PUBLIC AND CLAIM YOUR CUSTOMER RELATIONS ARE GETTING BETTER. WELL MOST OF THE PUBLIC FEELS SORRY FOR YOU THAT YOU HAD TO BORROW MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT FOR A BAILOUT BECAUSE YOU HAVE SO MANY CHIEFS AND NOT ENOUGH INDIANS RUNNING THE SHOW. FIX YOUR PRODUCT OTHERWISE YOU WILL CONTINUE TO LOSE YOUR CUSTOMER BASE REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU THINK. I WILL FIND A WAY TO CONTINUE TO TALK ABOUT HOW YOU CANNOT FIX A NEW CAR. YOU DON'T HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE BASE AND THIS FRIGHTENS ME.........RIDICULOUS AND VERY FRUSTRATING
    My dealer has had my equinox since Monday. It was towed in on Sunday. All of the gages were not working, the wipers were going crazy and the tire pressure sensor kept flashing on my dash. The car finally quit working when I pulled over and the key got stuck in the ignition. They called me today, day 5 and said we have ordered a new BCM and it should be here early next week. Oh yippee.....i'm still convinced they don't know how to fix it. Still under warranty, but who knows if it will ever be right again.
    :sick:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2012
    A word to the wise; most people skip over posts in ALL CAPS. It's okay to vent but all caps is hard to read.
    I read it fine. Caps mean your yelling. The guys upset...and understandably so. Actually caps grab my eye more so and catch my interest... Were all disgusted with GM and we all have our own way of venting....
    Hi Sarah,

I sent you all of my information and the service request # that I have with GM corporate. I got a auto-response from you a few weeks ago and then a reply from you that you would continue to let me work with GM corporate.

Thanks,
    Concerned Mother
    edited November 2012
    UPDATE - 2011 V6 AWD Chevy Equinox!

My vehicle has been in shop at Greenwood Chevrolet for two weeks and 3 days having the Cylinder head replaced because it was bad (so they told me). Today they called me and told me it was ready to be picked up.

I returned my rental vehicle and showed up to pick up my vehicle. They told me they replaced the bad cylinder head and the new one is on there and it's good as new. My husband told me to get the bad cylinder so he could look at it. When I asked Roger (the service manager) for it - he told me that they couldn't give it to me because they have to give it back for warranty purposes. I said "Ok, then can you show it to me and I'll take a picture of it to send my husband." He said he would go take the pic - went into the back room for close to 10-15 minutes.

When he returned this is the picture he showed me (see below). This is supposedly the "BAD" cylinder head they took off my vehicle.

I drive home and notice there is no difference in the performance of the vehicle. It's actually running worse than it was when I turned it in. I find it strange, but get home and show the picture to my husband. He immediately jumps up, gets a flashlight and goes under the hood of the car - he starts packing my son and I in the vehicle and says we're going back to the dealership RIGHT NOW!

Come to find out the paint on the bolts for the exhaust manifold is still there from the manufacturer. This cylinder head that is on my car right now has never been taken off.

We explained everything to the sales manager and he was in shock. This dealership never even removed my original cylinder head and that picture is (i think) of a brand new cylinder head with some bad valves placed in it.

I'm in such shock I don't even know what to say. I've been lied to, knowingly been put back in an unsafe vehicle (more than once) and they have committed fraud. God knows who else they've done this to.

The sales manager has asked that we come tomorrow to speak with the owner, but before we do that I'm heading over my local newspaper, going to 7 on your side news channel, I'm going to post my story on every major Social Media forum in the country, I am going to send my story to news reporters all over the state and I am personally sending a note to the CEO and board members of GM.

Chevy - You should be ashamed of yourself! It sickens me to think of what could have happened to my son and I because you lied about work you never performed, gave me a work order for it, then lied to me again when you gave me a picture of a brand new cylinder head.

I'm sick over this. You disgust me!
  • suevensueven Member Posts: 79
    I had mine replaced as well. When I pulled my car out of the garage the next morning, the garage floor was covered in oil. The cracked the oil pan during the repair....
    45 days later - problem is back and truck is back at the dealer...
    I cannot wait until this lease is over - this trick is a piece of junk!!!
    Good morning sueven,

We're sorry to hear that you've had to bring your truck back in for further repairs. If you would like for us to check into anything further with your dealership, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (please include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, a brief summary of the situation, and the name of your involved dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lsmithhartlsmithhart Member Posts: 21
    I have just gotten my Equinox back from RK Chevrolet. This is the second "major" repair, on a vehicle that now has only 25,000 miles on it. First, I had the cam sensors, timing chain etc replaced... at 15,000 miles! Now, the transmission has been opened up and worked on. It was not functioning, while I was out of town on business.

Now, while RK does fix the problems, and my vehicle works fine when I get it back, we all know this is a short term fix. It is quite apparent, by now, that the 2011 Equinox has a defective drive train. At the very least, a high percentage of these vehicles are lemons. GM needs to act quickly, before the media does. I am waiting for one more problem, then I will be done with this vehicle.

GM could, should and likely will respond with, at least, a favorable trade option for the newer, corrected model. I would think that this would show confidence in their product and compassion there customer. If not, this will be an ugly time for GM, and a loss of customer loyalty and trust.
  • luvmynoxluvmynox Member Posts: 1
    I was having some experience with hard shifting, called the dealer quoted them the service bulletin fond on this blog. I had my problem resolved with no hassles at the dealership and now mine is running smooth, in fact I hardly notice the shifts. I drive highway and city each day and have almost 60,000 kms. This vehicle has more than pleased me, I traded in an 08 Torrent and have to say that I am experiencing better fuel economy, comfort and little problems when compared to my Torrent and the dreaded Escape that I had before then. Mcuh better than other cars/dealers than I have personally experience with in the past (Mazda,Ford,Chrysler and Toyota).
    We're glad to hear that you've had success with your dealership getting the shifting concern resolved! Here's wishing you many more happy miles and a great holiday season!

Dont hold your breath...GM will respond and run circles around you. My 2011 equinox needed a new motor because it was consuming oil...and multiple other problems ranging from sensors, cellinoid, cam, fuel pump, etc. I bought this vehicle brand new and I refuse to have my brand new motor pulled apart. So I traded...the most GM WOULD GIVE ME WAS $3000... Whoopy dooo...i put $1500 cash down and 18 months worth of payments totaling$8000 onto this vehicle...the $3000 basically added insult to injury. So basically I lost $6500 and gained 28 months more of a truck payment. The district manager actually had the nerve to fight with me and I finally hung on her. She did her job well...she gained the company another sale by ripping me off.

Oh and as far as Sarah the GM responder to all our complaints... I wonder how she feels at the end of the day after acting concerned and lying to all of us...OR maybe she is just a computer responding...

I wish you better luck than I had with GM...
  • ohmyheadachesohmyheadaches Member Posts: 8
    It is of no comfort to see I am not alone. Bought a NEW '11 LT. Within a few months, get engine light on and burning smell. Pull over and they had to tow me to dealership. Stranded me at home with no loaner for almost a week. Couldn't find anything they said. Then rough shifting, transmission slipping (others in the car when happens, but no pattern). Told me for 1st engine light issue I had to use PREMIUM BRAND of gas. I asked if Shell was what they considered a premium brand. Tell me on the slippage that it was because I drove with the Eco feature on. Turn it off they say. Still slips. Not as much, but still, and it is hard shifting...jerks you and a very hard feeling when riding. Now engine light is on again. Within a block of home car stalled. Stalled twice more while driving to dealership about a mile away. THEY told me to drive it there. Hook it up to the little box under the driver side and nothing shows. Said they're gonna have to hook it up to another testing machine and will call sometime monday. Again they start with the brand of gas and other nonsense. If they can't find it and fix it, I'm trading in for a different make. Will NEVER buy Chevrolet again. Oh, did i mention that it has 9K miles on it, and constant problems since the check engine light the first 3K miles. I'm going to lose money, but I will have a reliable vehicle.
    Do not leave the dealership without a LOANER or RENTAL car. You purchased this car with a warranty, expect them to take care of you! If you let them walk all over you, they will. The transmission module (internal they say) was replaced on mine. The cam sensors were replaced on mine, the timing chain was replaced on mine etc...etc...etc. I bought it new, and I told them to get me a rental, which they did. Every time, with the exception of normal maintenance, I was given a vehicle. I even insisted on an SUV, and received one.

I think you have a bad dealership there! GM, at least has attempted to handle this, my dealership (RK Chevrolet in Virginia Beach Va.) has been very good. Complain to GM, let them know what is going on. If you do not get help, come back on here and let's blast them! We all need to make it loud, through local and national news media. First, however, let GM know.
    You describe my stalling and slipping issue to a T. It blows my mi mind that the same exact issue has occurred on all of our 2011 Equinox's that have vented her. Heck, we should all file a class action suit against GM. They should not be allowed to get away with this...
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    Mine is a 4 cyc and my 2 major complaints are still the 'start-up' noise and the not up to advertised gas mileage. I keep my fingers crossed the 'start-up' noise will not turn into something major later... so far 18000-20000 miles. I see now the 6 cyl owners have joined the site with their own problems! My wife is happy with the car... I am disappointed. I wish I had done a bit my work getting a better deal on a CR-V, RAV, or Sorento. At the time Equinox WAS the best deal but the disappointing mpg has likely reversed my good deal!
  • michwoodmichwood Member Posts: 3
    I could just copy previous post and paste them here. Very frustrated. I do not have time to keep taking my 2011 equinox back to the dealer to have it fixed. We traded a 10 year old Isuzu Trooper that had almost 200,000 miles which was more reliable than this. Cannot wait to trade this in for something other than a Chevy. We are on our way to take it back... Again! Major hesitation issues... Again! Scared it will leave me stranded with kids. Already had the timing belt issue, the hard shifting issue, hesitation issue..... Oh and the air conditioner decides it does not want to work sometimes. Hate to make payments on something that is not reliable! Chevy, I work hard for my money and don't enjoy wasting it. I don't have an extra car sitting around to use when this happens and can't afford a rental! So glad to know we are not alone. Why don't they recall these things if multiple people are having the same issues? How do you know if you have a lemon?
  • rzawierzawie Member Posts: 1
    I just had my 2011 equinox towed to the dealership because the transmission went out. And conveniently my warranty just expired because I am over on mileage. I also had timing belt issues and the ac/heat fan went out under warranty. I am hoping GM will cover my transmission. If not, I will never get another Chevy and will trade it in for a Volkswagen.
    We're sorry to hear that you've had these troubles with your new Equinox, ohmyheadaches! Have you head back from the dealership today already? If we can check into anything further for you, please be sure to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, a brief summary of the situation, and the name of your dealership).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    michwood,

We're sorry that you're having these frustrations with your Equinox and would be happy to check into this further with your dealership. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, a brief summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Are you already in contact with the GMC Customer Assistance Center, rzawie?

Oh, I didn't leave without a loaner. put me in a 2013 Nox. Called today and said that they replaced the intake camshaft position solenoid...it was sticking in open. Did a lil research, and seems there was a bulletin in June 2011 to reset computer for CEL issues, then changed to RECALL in Aug 2011. I was in the first time with tow to deal for CEL at 3K miles and burning smell. They said they found nothing, but went ahead and reset computers. They certainly didn't find the recall notice.

I don't drive much. It is now around a year later, and an additional 5K miles on odometer, and then the stall/CEL/stall/stall on way to dealer. They should have done this work the first time!!!

He tells me to keep the loaner until they finish their check. Sent it to the "only transmission guy on staff" and he will have it up to 3 days checking for the slipping, rough shifting issue.

Oh, and I am in '11 LT FWD, not AWD, so is that why they missed it the first time? Recall for AWD and not FWD. A little common sense would tell them the issues were the same....the exact things described in recall bulletin are what I have experienced plus the transmission issues.

So I will wait to see what they say about transmission. I plan to drive it up to 2.5 months and see if I have the same issues. If so, I'll explore legal avenues available for remedy. I will be saving extra toward downpayment and go to a different brand. I am not going to get stalled out on TX highways or 6 lane roads in this thing. I am not going to pay hefty repair/replacement bills down the line due to faulty engineering/mechanical issues.
    I found Recall 11195A that fit my symptoms to a T, and guess what they replaced today? The camshaft intake thing referenced in the bulletin.

Now I'm going to research 11195B to see what it says, since that is referenced here.

I'll let you know what, if anything, they say is wrong with transmission. We are not alone, and GM needs to make this right. I'm just going to run away and not look back, but you can bet my big mouth is going to be flappin in the breeze about this.
    I think it's sad that I bought this 2011 Chevrolet, because I have always loved GM products. Now, with 25000 miles on it, I have made my wife go back to her old 2007 Mazda CX7. I don't trust the Equinox, which has broken down twice, been in for engine and transmission repair and is still "iffy"! My 85,000 mile Mazda... it needs a CV axle, but I trust it. sad day for GM, very sad day for "buy American"!
  • dmitranodmitrano Member Posts: 3
    This car is a lemon we have oil problem ,gas problem and transmission problems , Chevrolet or GM will not fix it.

We purchased Chevrolet Equinox 2011 on 08/26/2010 new. On 12/13/2010, the car was creating a strong ticking sound. I checked the engine’s oil and discovered the oil measuring dipstick was completely dry I added a quart of oil to the engine I then, checked the oil once again and the oil was still not retaining or appearing on the dipstick as it should have.

The car’s mileage at that time was 6,058.00 We had the car serviced at Lannan Chevrolet in Woburn Ma on 12/14/2010, and 02/28/2011, 4/11/2011 and 5/24/2011.
    The service department checked the oil level within the Equinox and found it was 2 quarts lower than the quart I had previously added on the first visit.
    The second visit the car had a mileage of 9639.00 and the same problem for the other visits, now because the visits were every 2000 + or - miles the oil consumption was between 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil missing plus the high gas consumption.

I purchased a new car because I needed a reliable car, since my old s.u.v. was using a lot a gas and burning oil .Chevrolet was adverting this car as the best gas mileage,32 MPG On Highway and 22 MPG in the city, on board computer give as the reading of 20.9 average MPG.

Lannan Chevrolet in Woburn add oil to the engine every visits we had, if they did not
    Then will be 3 1/2 quarters missing of oil, for the7000 miles oil change.
    Your motor is consuming oil. Mine did the same and they were going to drop a new motor in it but I chose to trade it because I did not want anymore problems. You need to have a different dealer look at your vehicle. I can't believe GM is ignoring your issue!!! This is major!!!
    dmitrano,
    Have you already initiated contact with our Customer Assistance Center? If you haven't and would like for us to check into this further for you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far).

Just wondering: Did you take a hit on the resale value/trade in value due to the service issues you've had?
    I think GM needs to get serious about fixing the problems on the 211 Equinox. I, for one, am not going to let this go on much longer. Wit todays social media, we are able to work together to get the work out. GM failed to properly test this drivetrain!

Now, after all the complaints, what are you doing to fix it? Your dealerships don't even know about the recalls or "codes" that GM has sent out. My dealership has been good (RK Chev.), but the car is unreliable.

You have our names, you know our problems... fix it. I believe a buyback of full value, in the form of a NEW car credit would suffice. If we apply this towards a new GM product, we are happy, you keep a customer and this social media problem is nipped in the bud.
    Oh I took a huge hit. Trade in was $16,000. GM gave me an additional $3000 which basically added insult to injury. And I put $1500 cash down when I initially bought this vehicle. Then there was over $8000 in car payments that I paid in the 18 months , during most of which my vehicle was in and out of the shop because they couldn't figure anything out until they noticed when the did an oil change that it was consuming. When i traded and tried to ask for more money i got into a huge argument with the district manager who talked circles around me, very rudely i might add, telling me $3000 is the most GM gives anyone. So.... Basically GM is making a whole lot of money with all these lemons they are selling. It makes me sick to see all these posts that this is such a huge problem and that GM continually gets away with it.
    call me this morning tell me they fixed the CEL by replacing the intake camshift solenoid. Knew that. Then tell me they replaced stretch bolts on transmission because the valve body wasn't secured. Some bolts over torque, some under. Said it runs like a dream now. Maybe. I will see. If it does, how long will it last? I'm still going to run to another brand, just not immediately, unless this thing keeps going in shop in next month or two.

I know I will take a BIG hit, but I don't trust the dealer, nor do I trust this auto.

And I thought I was buying a safe and reliable car.
    I sure you have better luck than I had.

They too replaced my cam selinoid...along with the fuel pump and 5 sensors. I also do not trust the dealer... To be honest with you, thinking about it now...the dealer really rushed me through the trade in process, most likely so I wouldn't sue them. I'm sure some poor sole is now encountering my issues and GM saved a whole bunch more money because they got out of putting a new motor in. Sadly I didn't have the time to NOT have a vehicle...otherwise I would have pursued legal action, tv stations and media to bash their brand. I have a friend whose wife's jeep stalled while she was driving it...he threatened then with legal, conracting his state rep and reporting to the media...JEEP gave him back every cent of that vehicle. I guess GM doesn't give two $#&%'@...
  • suevensueven Member Posts: 79
    Welcome to the club!! The only advantage that I seem to have it s responsive service department.
    This truck is the biggest piece if crap! I have never gotten over 19 miles per gallon.
    At this point I hate having my kids in the car as I feel like it is not all that safe.
    So glad that I only leased this truck and can give the piece of crap back at the end of the lease!