Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
I'm surprised there was no discussion here on this next-gen Impreza. It looks like a great update to me. Especially compelling is the higher mpg (up to 36 EPA highway), more rear seat room, and the upgraded interior materials. The exterior styling is ho-hum, like a 4/5 scale Legacy, but not offensive.

I am looking forward to driving the new Impreza when it arrives at dealerships. If it retains the smooth ride from the current Impreza and the interior and fuel economy are as advertised, this could be my next car after the lease on my Sentra is up.

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/impreza/2012/2012-subaru-impreza-first-look.htm- l

Comments

• saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    With the improved back seat room and excellent MPG, the Impreza hatch might take some Forester sales. For those of us who used to drive Legacy GT wagons it stirs memories.

I wonder whether the new mirrors fold?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited May 2011
    There's a discussion over in the Subaru Crew "Future Models" thread.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9956a/21942#MSG21942

Bob
    edited May 2011
    For those who may not have seen these, there are a lot of good images of the new 2012 Impreza here.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1106_2012_subaru_impreza_look/index.h- - - - tml

The interior is greatly improved. The dash is now nicely padded, as are the sun visors and the upper door sills, plus there's now a Limited trim with leather seats.

So in effect, the Impreza's customer range is now much broader, in that it still addresses the bargain shopper with the base model, yet now also attracts more of a luxury buyer with the Limited. BTW, the CVT is standard in the Limited.

The sedan pictured here is the Limited, and the 5-door pictured is the mid-level Premium model.

Bob
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited May 2011
    That's not a discussion... it's a thread of a discussion.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    any idea if xenon headlights are part of the Limited?
  • seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    I looked all over the web and can not find date when it will hit dealers.
    subaru.com says "this fall", so that puts it sometime between mid-September and mid-December. Since they still have 2011s to sell, we probably won't get more details on a date until closer to delivery. Have you asked your local dealer about a date? Maybe they are starting waiting lists.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Before the tsunami it may have been August, now we'll be lucky to see it thise year!
    That is great news! It makes the 2012 Impreza very price competitive with others in the class, e.g. Civic, Focus, Cruze, even the Elantra... and they don't have AWD. Smart move by Subaru.
  • irritatrixirritatrix Member Posts: 40
    I just spoke to my local dealer, and they said they expect to get 2 in about 45 days, then a major shipment in December. However, he said they already have a waiting list (which may be car dealer BS), which leads me to believe there might not be much wiggle room on price.

He also said the CVT is the same one that's been used in the Outback the last two model years, which I didn't know, and which made me feel a little better about it, since those things are so expensive to repair and replace.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited August 2011
    He also said the CVT is the same one that's been used in the Outback the last two model years, which I didn't know, and which made me feel a little better about it, since those things are so expensive to repair and replace.

Everything I've read says that the Impreza CVT is a smaller/lighter version of the Outback CVT.
    I don't need to buy a car for almost 2 years, so maybe by then supply will be better and I won't have to pay sticker. Although small cars are selling well in general right now.

I'm not surprised that there's a waiting list with only 2 cars due until December. That's not many buyers.
  • irritatrixirritatrix Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2011
    That was my impression from what I've read, too (that it's an all-new CVT). Perhaps he was mistaken, or I misunderstood him. I guess I'll find out when they get some in and I take a test drive.
  • kk_ctkk_ct Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Was buying a Subaru Impreza 2010 car....the dealer is quoting 1800 for the gold plus extended warranty..is the price right?? I have seen ppl mention that such warranties are available for 800-1000 bucks...am I being cheated?? Please advice..
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    That's not as high as I have seen them (still below MSRP), but you can do much better. Take a look at the Extended Warranty thread (under Subaru Crew?). I recall Mastria Subaru as being a good place to get them; there are others as well. You don't have to get it with the purchase of the vehicle or at the selling dealership.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • k5tmk5tm Member Posts: 1
    I got to drive a 2012 two days ago in Austin. A dealer rep was going through town, and our salesman arranged a test drive - claimed it was the first test drive in Austin. Compared to our 2008, the handling is as good, has almost all the pep of the 2008 (once you get used to the new tranny) and the interior is improved. I was able to sit comfortably in the rear seat (I am 6 foot tall), but I would rate it about a 200 mile rear seat -- after 200 miles I would be clawing for a way out of the seat. Our grandson will fit back there just fine. Headroom is constrained by the moonroof. Our 2008 has no moonroof and if we get a 2012 it will not either. The moonroof 'bubble' was part of my 200 mile rating for the rear seat.

Apparently the 2.0 has a timing chain, not a belt, so that is an improvement. The rated horsepower of the engine is not too bad either. Since this is grandma's car, it will do well. We are on the cusp of a decision of whether to go to a quarter million miles with our 2008 (and do the required maintenance) or trade now. Gasoline savings over two years (about $1000 with our driving habits) will really help pay for one major maintenance event.

Overall, it is definitely an improvement over our much-loved 2008.
    Tough to justify trading just for the gas mileage improvement. The '08 will depreciate far less now that it's past the steep part of the curve.

Still, if she wants a new car, here's the perfect excuse...
    Stopped by my local Subaru dealer today to see if they had any 2012 Imprezas in yet. The sales rep I talked with said not until January, unless it was a pre-order--then December. If they'd hold off on the pre-orders to January, they could call it a 2013. ;)
    I got to drive a 2012 Impreza Limited sedan today at a preview event at a local dealer. They had only the one car, loaded up with CVT, black leather, 17" alloys, auto climate control, moonroof, and nav, in a beautiful black pearl. Sales rep said price would be "about $25k".

The manual driver's seat felt comfortable, although I wished the wheel would telescope out just a bit more. Materials quality of the dash looked and felt excellent, with nicely padded and grained top and smooth rotary HVAC controls. Door panels didn't match the dash quality (lots of hard plastic) but at least the armrests were padded. Center console had a sliding cushion. One cost-cutting move I found odd in a $25k car was that the visor mirrors were not illuminated.

On the road, the car handled confidently even whipping around cloverleafs at 2X the posted speed (the sales rep encouraged me to do that). Acceleration was adequate and the engine noise wasn't objectionable even under hard throttle... although keep in mind this is a small and relatively inexpensive car. The CVT has paddle shifters but I didn't try those... "shifting" on a CVT seems like a non sequitur to me. If I want to shift I'll get a stick... except that is rated lower in FE than the CVT.

The ride was firm and expansion joints and cracks elicited pronounced and loud "thumps", which seemed to be more tire-related than from the suspension. I am hoping that with the standard wheels and tires, which I would be getting, there will be less noise than with the 17" alloys on the Limited.

Except for the tire noise, the car was pleasant to drive, but the best part was the fuel economy. I reset the meter after getting up to speed (about 60 mph) on the freeway and had the instantaneous setting on. I noticed the numbers moving mostly between 40-60 mpg while cruising, depending on grade (which wasn't big at any time). When moving down the side streets at about 40 mph, the numbers were in the 30s. So it looks like this new Impreza will do considerably better in sipping gas than the current model.

Cargo-wise, the trunk is well-finished and even the lid supports are covered. The 60/40 seat back folds flat... a nice touch as few sedans do that these days.

My one big disappointment was when I climbed into the back seat. I was hoping for a commodious rear seat since I read that leg room had been increased for 2012. Instead, I found the seat more cramped in my sit-behind-me test than in competitors like the Elantra, Focus, and Cruze, and even some smaller cars like the Accent. The problem was not leg/knee room, which was sufficient (I am 5'9"), but in toe space. My ankles hit the bottom of the front seat sooner than I'd like, which resulted in the "knees in the air" feeling and lack of thigh support. Had my feet been able to slide a little further forward, life would have been good in back. I had the driver's seat about mid-height, so it was most comfortable for me, so I checked the room on the other side of the back seat--it wasn't any better, although I'd be able to slide the front passenger seat a little more forward under most circumstances since my wife is shorter than I am. So I'd consider the rear seat only "bearable", not the big plus I was hoping it would be.

So the new Impreza remains on my list because of its AWD with excellent fuel economy, availability of a hatchback, sharp looks, and quality interior. However, the sales rep told me the base Impreza would NOT come with cruise control standard or even available. I hope she's wrong about that, because if not I'd have to move up to the Premium trim which will mean more bucks.
    "However, the sales rep told me the base Impreza would NOT come with cruise control standard or even available. I hope she's wrong about that, because if not I'd have to move up to the Premium trim which will mean more bucks."

I think she's correct.

Bob
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    My dealer where we bought out 11 Outback from informed us their Impreza's are due in Jan. I love the fact that an AWD can get up to 36 MPG....Our dealer has offered to order ours w/o a down payment and when it comes it if we dont like it...he will simply add it to his dealer stock...

We are looking at adding the 5Dr Limited with nav, pkg #1 and splash guards, which edmunds is showing a MSRP of $25447. Im looking at getting it for $24,500 pls TTL. Im going to offer $25,750 out the door and see what my dealer tells me.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    edited November 2011
    We had ordered the 5dr Sport Limited with Moonroof from my dealer on October 24th at $800 below invoice (Ramsey Subaru in Ramsey, NJ) which is fully refundable if we don't like it upon delivery, since like many others we were buying sight-unseen. It will go into the dealer inventory if we don't like it. According to the NASIOC website forum, the first North American delivery was in Vancouver earlier this week for pre-orders. It seems like the priority is the top of the line models first and then working their way from West to East Coast. I still haven't gotten a VON or VIN, but other people have received the Subaru emailing along with delivery dates. Pre-orders that went in before October 31st included a $500 gift from Subaru of America for Subaru items. It is supposed to be in the order status letter from SOA, but I haven't received any communcations yet. I think my order may have included the correct email address due to the illegibility of the salesman's penmanship.

I keep asking my dealer for the VON, but haven't heard back yet. Not sure if I should just call SOA directly. The salesman told me initially to expect delivery about the 2nd week of December. But, I'm betting more like Xmas or early January. I guess if there is a unit on a boat that matches my order, it may become mine, taken from a dealer's initial inventory.
  • stubbs97stubbs97 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone preorder a Suburu rep on these boards that can tell me what the invoice would be for the Premium Sedan? Edmunds here is quoting 18.8k but the dealership we test drove the car said they really have no reason to wiggle from the MSRP which to me, I can understand since Subuaru is moving cars yet dealers always budge.

I loved the car, great new body style.

Any help with the right price to pay would be awesome

Thanks!!
    the visor mirrors were not illuminated

Are there spot lights that do the job, though?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Invoice is generally 6% under MSRP.

Depending on where you are located, the dealership is right - they don't have any incentive to sell the car for less unless they can't sell the car otherwise. My local dealership tells me that every time I try to buy a car from them. After seven years, they still haven't sold me one and seem to have no trouble selling them to other buyers who are willing to buy at MSRP.

I have just come to accept that, for me, their role is simply to perform warranty / recall service and to provide cars I can test drive; I will have to purchase somewhere else.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • stubbs97stubbs97 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply
    edited November 2011
    Perhaps, it's how hot the market is in your region. Subarus are not as popular in Jersey, so perhaps, that's why I'm seeing the discounts. First dealer gave me a reasonable price about $200 over invoice, but when the other dealer gave me $800 below invoice, I wouldn't haggle. Both are offering 100% refunds if I don't like the car when it arrives, since we haven't seen the car with the pre-order.

I would highly recommend that you start off with www.zag.com, and see what the prices are there and hopefully, you have membership with one of the supported networks. I'm using the AMEX pricing option for bargaining. The 2012 Impreza is up on their site now. It seems to work out better than Costco pricing as well. I would go in with the printout and then the dealership has to beat it if it isn't them. Did this when considering the KIA Sorento and Audi Avant. But, my wife opted for the fuel-efficiency option. I am seeing $800 below invoice using AMEX pricing on the ZAG site.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited November 2011
    My wife and I are in the market for a new car (primarily for her) and prior to yesterday the new Impreza was not even on our radar screen. I casually browsed the Subaru web site and saw the car was newly redesigned and was finally able to offer competitive fuel economy, and that caused me to look further.

The problem here is that when I "looked further", I ran into what I might call some bizarre and/or arbitrary rules on which features can be ordered with which models; I mean, what's up with the fact that you can order a more fully optioned 2.0i Premium than you can a 2.0i Sport Premium? That and what's up with the fact that if one wanted a fully tarted out Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited, they have to have a CVT instead of a manual transmission?

Our budding love-affair with the new Impreza may well stop before it even started; too bad too because there is very much to like about this car.
    edited November 2011
    I'd drive the CVT before writing it off. Might surprise you. :) It does have a manual mode (paddle shifters) with 6 simulated gear ranges. Works pretty well in the models I've driven.

All Impreza Limiteds are CVT-only, not just Sport Limiteds; same with Legacy and Outback Limiteds.

Bob
    Seriously? Sorry, not happening; if there aren't three pedals under the dash I will not consider the car.
    There are at least 3 pedals under the dash on the new Impreza: accelerator, brake, and dead pedal. ;)

Oh, and some Imprezas have a 4th pedal.

Since the Impreza doesn't offer a 6MT and the FE with the stick is lower than for the CVT, the stick doesn't shine brightly for me. FWIW, the CVT was smooth in operation when I test drove a Limited sedan last week. And the FE was great.
    I'd gladly trade the three miles per gallon for a car which is worth driving. That said, I seriously doubt the difference in fuel economy will be all that much; so far at least, pretty much every car on the market with a higher EPA rating for the Automatic transmission variant (regardless of whether we're talking DSG, CVT, or good old fashioned slushbox), has yet to even equal the Manual transmission variant in the real world (based upon reports from drivers).

Now, given that the Impreza is lacking that extra gear cog, it might well be that the CVT can deliver marginally better economy, but that is a poor tradeoff for driving an emasculated car, errr, IMHO. :blush:
  • minghiminghi Member Posts: 24
    wow, which dealership offered you $800 less than invoice. I'm in NJ too and it will help me a lot, thanks in advance
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    Taking a quick look at the configuration online up here in Canada it looks as though you can get a manual in any Imprezza you want, even the top of the line Didn't check any options, but each trim level has the manual, and you can get both of the automatic climate controls with one so it is possible, just Subaru US didn't want them that way. I'd suggest getting one from here but as usual they are charging more than an equivalent US version ( and you still have to get it to conform to US regs)
    Ramsey Subaru. I'm not sure if that offer still exist, but I believe www.zag.com also gives the same price and the price is being offered by their dealership. Originally, I had inquired via email with Liberty and Bill Kolb, but when Ramsey give me the price without hassle or haggling, it was a no brainer. From ZAG, I chose the AMEX pricing. Ask for Cory at the dealership, but they all seem to be reasonable Reps. I ordered back on Oct. 24th and have been told that it's in the first allocation (on one of the first few truck loads of Imprezas) to Ramsey. SOA expects to give me a firm date by December 9th.

Since, it was a pre-order purchase (sight-unseen), it was 100% refundable if we didn't like the car upon delivery. Again, not sure if that offer still holds true since initial deliveries will start coming in shortly. I think they have the low price to get sales moving on the new Impreza, and if I don't like it, they can have inventory to sell it to someone else. It's really no loss to them and they will eventually need vehicles for test drives. Win-Win for both buyer and seller.
  • kdston3kdston3 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if this will help you out any, but I recently ordered a 2012 Impreza 2.0i limited with no options, just as the car comes and paid 20,800. MSRP on the car was 22345. Maybe this might help give you a starting point for negotiating a price. Invoice for this car was 21,267 and invoice for the automatic premium model is 19,603.
    Subaru isn't the only manufacturer to screw around with the option availability for cars with manual transmissions here in the U.S. market. Turns out the issue was moot because as soon as my wife drove the a GTI this afternoon she dug her heels in and said, "No more looking, this is the car!"

For the last two hours we've had a brand spankin' new 2012 2-Door VW GTI 6-Speed manual done up in black metallic sitting in the garage. :)
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    edited November 2011
    Wives have a way of doing that. Congrats on the new car, I am sure she will enjoy it.
  • iliketoshiftiliketoshift Member Posts: 24
    I am all but sold on the Impreza, though it struck me that I have one worry -
    My wife drives a '10 forester. I like just about everything about that car except one thing. I can't help but noticing, every time I get into it, the seats are just a massive step below my VW (IMHO).

The Forester, even with the lumbar support button, feel less than supportive. I don't remember considering any of the other Subaru models' seats when we go into the showroom to wait for an oil change or whatnot.

TO compare, we recently rented an Impala for a week in florida. I didn't think the seats were great, and their geometry was a bit off - but they certainly felt more supportive than the Forester. So I'm hoping that me and newer Subaru seats can get along in the end.
    Happy wife, happy life.

Bob - Forester Limiteds are also auto-only.
    As the Tee-Shirt I saw at the local Sushi-Bar says, "If the Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy; if the Daddy ain't happy, ain't nobody cares." :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2011
    Subaru is hardly alone in packaging the higher trims with an automatic transmission in the compact market. Try Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Ford, and Hyundai for starters. Those are just the ones I recall from memory featuring "fully tarted" models packaged with automatics. There are probably more. I appreciate a truly great manual transmission, too, but with weak demand it just doesn't make financial sense. I don't blame Subaru for following a similar market strategy as their competitors, and for an auto, I rather like the CVT. Once you get into automatics, the tall pedal on the right equals "go" and the wide one on the left equals "stop". The Subaru CVT does very well at that without missed shift points or hunting for gears.

I guess the easiest solution to the problem is to simply not buy it. But you may have a difficult time finding what you want out there in the US market. Best of luck. I just finished my own shopping experience looking at just about every compact in the market, and ended up with the Subaru. I hope you find what you're looking for.
    Subaru is hardly alone in packaging the higher trims with an automatic transmission in the compact market. Try Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Ford, and Hyundai for starters.

Not Honda. The highest-trim Civic, the Si, is available only with a 6MT.
  • Ha, ha. Never mind. Just saw your post on the GTI. Congrats. Great car. It's a stellar drive.
  • I compare the Si with the WRX (although getting trounced by the WRX). The Si and Impreza wouldn't be straight across competitors, making the EX the top-end Civic most similar to the Impreza, which comes only with an auto. Manuals are a dying technology and Subaru is smart to focus on newer autos for the US market. Keep the manuals for low-end, low-cost models and for sport models. Even sport-oriented models are questionable; I mean, what's the percentage of Ferrari manual trannies these days? Pretty low. Outside the US and Australia it's a different game, but in the US we seem bound and determined to make manuals obsolete. Sigh. It's what I learned to drive on.
    Oh, I see. Not "top trim", but "top trim not including sport trims".

It's what the US market demands. If more people demanded the highly-featured trims with a stick, we'd get them. It's all about selling cars.
    edited November 2011
    "It's all about selling cars."

Agreed. If Subaru were to offer the Impreza Limited with a manual transmission (something that wouldn't cost them a dime as the model is already certified in the U.S. and manufactured for other market with a manual transmission), I submit they would sell more cars; maybe not a major increase in sales, but an increase none-the-less.

In my case, and in the case of folks like me, Subaru is forcing a self-fulfilling prophecy, “Nobody buys Premium model cars with manual transmissions ergo, we won't build any such cars, therefore nobody will buy them.”

Well, we bought a car with a manual transmission yesterday, and in another 18 months we'll buy yet another one, and unless Subaru changes their arbitrary policies on configuration, the second will be from another manufacturer as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2011
    Exactly. It seems to me the "Sport" designation Subaru put on that line of Impreza seems a misnomer. Is it faster? No. Does it corner better? No. What does Sport mean in this case? The manual words the off-road capabilities differently for the Sport versus the non-Sport, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Definitely agree about meeting consumers' demands. Subaru is moving more mainstream and I think the transmission is part of that strategy. The WRX, Si, Evo, MazdaSpeed, and other performance-oriented lines will probably stick with manuals for awhile, but the higher-volume products like the Impreza will be automatic-centric in the US market.

Shipo, I hope you have fun with that GTI. VW has a great manual transmission; my favorite, in fact.
    30% of Imprezas are manuals, per the video in Consumer Reports that previews the 2012 Impreza:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi3m0oih3UQ