Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    Back in 1991 when I purchased a Honda Civic DX, I had the dealer remove the standard pinstriping. I noticed it fading on other cars which had it so I didn't want it on my car.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    if you opt for a pin strip....go to an aftermarket shop to get it done...the dealer will charge you 4 times the amount to get it done...most export the work to the local tint shop anyway....go there yourself and save $$....the last time I had pinstripe done was for a 06 Pontiac Solstice....$50 for a twin line down both sides and ends.....
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    They told me they have guys inn their body shop that specialize in it and they would do it at no charge if I purchased the car there. If I was going to have it done elsewhere, I would splurge and go for the free-hand painnt over the tape anyway. The paint always looks so much better and can have alot more done.

Odie
  • fredjohnsonfredjohnson Member Posts: 48
    Have any of you installed the normal looking mud flaps on your 2012 Impreza 5 dr Sport Premium? Accessory book says ONLY the aero flaps will work on this car, but I saw the normal painted Subaru flaps on a new Sport Premium at the dealer. The aero flaps are more expensive.
    I have the 2012 Sport Prem with the lower profile 17" rims. I'm in MN. Been driving the past few days in temps of 15(F) BELOW zero to about 30(F) above zero. I don't have any issues with the tires. Sure, at 15 below the rubber is stiffer but the car wasn't any worse riding than any other car I've owned driven at that temp. That being said, I've been used to driving in cold temps like this for so many years maybe I don't even notice the tires anymore.
    Overkill on the Ventureshield.
  • angitheriasangitherias Member Posts: 34
    I'm considering Rally Armor mud flaps when they become available instead of those Aero style ones.
    I checked all the 5-doors and Sports at 2 dealers up here near Hershey, Pa and everyone of them had the Yokohama AVID S34D's on them. According to Tirerack.com these are horrible tires in anything not dry. These are the same tires that are stock on the Mazda3 and from the people I know that have the 3's, they could not wait to get new tires. From what I've heard they wore out way to fast and didn't handle worth crap.

If I do purchase the Impreza Sport I'm going to push for different tires. I know with the 205/50 R17 I'm kinda limited to what I can get.

Odie
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The tires were probably selected because they help achieve EPA numbers.

Bob
    Ya, the yokohamas scared me also, but after driving in the rain, I had no problems with them at all. Tire rack reviews were all from Mazda owners, so these tires suck on fwd cars. On awd cars, I think they work great. I put a review on it and gave it positive review. Hope it showed up.
    :)
    there have been several comments over on the NASIOC forum about the A34s, bottomline seems to be if you have never had snow tires before.....they do fine as an all season tire.....4500 miles on mine so far...and they have done fine through several downpours and about 2 inches of snow..most of said they are OK for everyday driving and some snow.....

as far as performance tire....I relate that back to is the Impreza a true performance car...its not the WRX/STI...so for an small economy AWD sedan or hatch back.....they do fine...IMHO...

I personally think the term Impreza Sport is a little misleading...that simply means you get a roof rack, two tone paint options, and different rims...otherwise the entire Impreza line is exactly the same to include specs....

if you have the $$ to change out the tires..by all means....by I dont personally see the need to do it.....
    I'm not concerned with the rainn and snow performance as I am with how they will handle Pennsylvania Road Conditions. You know the type of road where PennDOT only puts up a sign "Bump" when a sink hole is starting and it dips enough to make you car hop like a bunny, or pot holes big enough to swallow a VW Bug. I will do the same thing I did with the OEM Goodyears I had on both my Escape and Pilot and will stop at the Tire shop that sells the tires and have the Road Hazzard Warrenty pro-rated and added to the tires. Saved me a bunch on the OEM tires on the Pilot when they wore out after 20k and got full replacement for free with Wrangler Silent Armors.

Odie
  • iliketoshiftiliketoshift Member Posts: 24
    Just an FYI. I've always refilled my cars at 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank of fuel on the standard analog gauge.

The gas light illuminated at about 1000' from the gas station, it was on 1 tick of the display as well. I was planning to get gas at that station anyway.

So it filled up with 12.6 (12.599 on the pump). With the tank being 14.6 gallons, if the gas light is linked to actual level in the tank, that would mean it comes on at 2 gallons left.

(for the record that was 30.5 MPG on this tank)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    PA roads are brutal, I'll attest to that...
    Sounds about right, 2 gallons = low fuel.

On my Forester the low fuel light goes on with 2.3 gallons left, but the tank's a bit bigger.
  • onemodogonemodog Member Posts: 26
    I was wondering about this. I calculated closer to 2 gallons as well and not the 2.5 the dealer told me and I believe that is listed in the manual.
  • mmyk72mmyk72 Member Posts: 67
    Great info!!! Save us all on guess work (that's when I eventually get the car).
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I guess it is a matter of perspective. I have always found Pennsylvania roads to be quite pleasant.

Here in Alaska, they don't even bother putting up a "Bump" sign unless you're likely to catch two feet of air at the speed limit! Generally, they just put up a sign at the start of the highway that says "dips next 400 miles." I'm still not sure whether they're referring to the road surface or the drivers using it. :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    My light came on with 5 gallons left in my '06 Xterra. :confuse:
    It uses twice as much gas...same remaining range! ;)
  • turnancoughlinturnancoughlin Member Posts: 2
    What do you think is a good price? I am in CA, so have to pay the extra $700 for improved emissions.
    will depend by region...so go to trucar...and type in your info and see what they are going for in your area....the PZEV option is only $300 here in MD
  • debbadoo2debbadoo2 Member Posts: 24
    Thoughts on the red back lights on the dash? Like? Dislike? I currently have blue back lights and don't recall if I have had red before. I'm sure I have but I just don't recall.
    Red dash lights are awesome. Gives it a more sporty feel when driving. And pretty comfortable to the eyes too.
    I like them as well...I converted all my interior lights using red LED blubs as well to compliment the dash lighting.......Im also looking at installing a strip of white LEDS in the hatchspace.....I saw a great DIY project that would completely illuminate the hatchback area......but have to wait till it gets warmer......
  • bruusterbruuster Member Posts: 2
    I'm waiting for my limited in So Cal and only had to pay $300 for PZEV. I think the $700 you were quoted is wrong. Question the dealer.
  • turnancoughlinturnancoughlin Member Posts: 2
    Bruuster, thanks for the reply. I think I made the $700 figure up.

If you don't mind me asking, where in SoCal are you? Which dealer are you using? How much paying? Sport limited/not sport?

Glendale is closest dealership for me, but salesmen are sleezy. Sherman Oaks seems to have a much better rep. But I don't mind going further afield for the right deal.
    I'm wondering if the Impreza5 will be able to do this? I shot this yesterday with "The Beast" (my '06 Pilot, the one I'm going to be trading on the Impreza).

Link to video

Odie
    That shouldn't be any problem. It was difficult to tell how deep the various ruts were, but a few holes jostled the Pilot pretty well, so you might end up scraping up some mud on those unless you maneuver the vehicle differently.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The packed stuff that was traveld on was just that packed. When I got into the deeper stuff (3 - 4inches) I followed the tracks I made the day before. Under the snow in that section is just dirt, no stone / gravel. The packed part was all gravel up to the large parking area (on left before I made the hard right, then you see it again when I make the hard left headed back down).

Odie
  • The Impreza will have no problem with anything like the conditions shown in the video, though I'd personally slow down a bit on slick hardpack with limited room to recover from a slide (that's just me). I've found Subie AWD and VDC systems to be far better in real-world limited traction conditions than my Honda AWD vehicles (CR-V and Pilot), so clearance will be the biggest advantage with something like a Pilot. Tires make a HUGE difference, though, and the best AWD can be utterly thwarted by a poor tire, so if you're going to be looking for snowy drives, maybe something a little more suited than the stock tire will be in order.
    edited February 2012
    My camera makes it look like I'm going faster than I was. I was only doing 10-15, but on the longer streches I had it up to 20 since I know these trails very well. The main stretch from the road up to the big parking area does see alot of WRX's and Evo's running (they close the road for this) for times to go up, not down. There are multiple pull offs that people pull into and set up camera's, I just wish some would post some of the video's but I'm not sure how Legal it is they do this since it is only a 15mph gravel roadway. I wanted to take my girls all the way out to the Hang Glider launch sight, but that trail is closed for a bit due to downed trees. If you go under Google Maps and look up Bendigo Airport, Tower City, Pa. Just to the East you will see the intersection of Gold Mine Rd, Clarks Ferry Rd, and Greenwood Rd. Just north of the airport you will see Peters Mountain (Greenland Rd.) Thats where I was at. If you follow Gold Mine Rd. south until it intersects with Rt. 443, that is a fully paved section that has alot of elevation changes and switchbacks, and some great views. Now granted these are not the Rocky's or the Smokies, but its close enough to for me to go play on. We also have Rausch Creek which is just east of the airport closer to I-81 and is a massive off-roading park. They are talking about adding a Rally track in for AWD cars to play on.

Odie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2012
    Got it. The camera does make it appear faster. Is that a GO Hero, by chance? I use a Hero with my WaveRunner and I get a kick out hearing my daughter giggle and laugh as we have fun on the water. Good times :D

I've tried video recording our Jeeping adventures in Moab, but I've always struggled to capture the ridiculous angles, drops, and spans we traverse. What appears positively terrifying in person comes across as rather mundane later. I just can't seem to capture the "pucker" factor.
    nope... just a normal Polaroid t1031 digital camera on a Stand-all vehicle tripod. I have the camera set for HD 640x480 video. And I agree on the not being able to show the angle at which your going. Check out some of the video's on youtube of "Lake Christy" or "Rausch Creek" (which is about 5 min from where I started my video)

Odie
    I was getting the impression that you were traveling slowly on those roads, in line with what you said were your speeds. I'm a little embarrassed to say that it seemed slow to me.... :blush:

It did get me thinking that I should set up my video camera on something similar the next time I take my Forester out on the logging/mushing/snowmobile trails. It is fun to be driving along a trail and come across a musher coming the other way; there's just something a little surreal about it.
  • hcalcathcalcat Member Posts: 30
    Nice to see a positive review reflecting how most of us feel about the new 2012 Impreza.

link title

Article pretty accurately reflects how I feel about the car after test driving it and comparing it with other cars. There really isn't much to complain about.

On week 3 of a 6-8 week wait on a DMG Sport Limited. Should be receiving VIN soon. They extended the 0.9% financing till the end of February so it will be close.

As a side note, the price of gas is ratcheting up again so it should create even more demand as people scramble to purchase more fuel efficient cars. Supply of hatches is ridiculously low at dealers here in Southern Cali.
  • thom52thom52 Member Posts: 30
    How did you manage to get the .9% deal extended? In the Seattle area, we are told we are out of luck, with our car ordered in January and coming in this week.

you wrote:
    "Supply of hatches is ridiculously low at dealers here in Southern Cali. "

What is up with them ordering almost all sedans everywhere it seems? Same thing here in the Northwest. First wave of cars is almost all Sedans and of course the demand is for hatchbacks, especially in the outdoorsy oriented Northwest. Not sure what they were thinking. So of course there is a shortage of hatches. I am glad I got in line for one early! :)
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    edited February 2012
    5 door premium, CVT, Option 2 (all-weather package), Utility Package 1A (foglights, and couple small things) $20,918 plus tax and license.

Factory invoice according to True Car is $21,140. Edmunds says $21,118.

I'd be very happy to get it near invoice on such a new, hot model.

It appears that there is a $300 "regional ad fee" that is also built into the cost.

Hmm, lots of stuff goes into the pricing, doesn't it?

John

Edit: Oh, ZERO percent interest through February...2 month delay on first payment...but, since this is an order, the interest would be whatever is on the table when the car comes.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    well, I was a back seat driver today. But my wife loved it! Her words, handled well, good acceleration, very comfortable. Also, she appreciates the simplistic nature of the controls and dash--nice dials, levers, etc. Mirrors were big...

vs my '03 Forester, she loved the front seat. In fact, she said she wouldn't want it if the front seat was like the Forester seat.

Back seat has about 2" more leg room than the '03 Forester! All in all, has almost all of the earlier generation Forester attributes (small size but spacious and well laid out interior, good mpg, nimble handling) but with major improvements in important areas such as less noise and more mpg.

I'm 6'3" and I found the back seat very comfortable.

John
  • hcalcathcalcat Member Posts: 30
    I believe it is a regional offer by Subaru. If I go to the Subaru website and put in my zip code under "Offers", 0.9% financing comes up for the 2012 Impreza but only until Feb 29th. My salesman informed me about this as well

As for hatchbacks, Subaru is missing the boat as the prior models hb's outsold the sedans according to the Topix reviewer. So they knew but didn't adjust the mix enough. The Sports and Limited models are also hard to come by unless you special order.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    GM and Toyota hath decreed that Americans don't buy hatchbacks. Why would you listen to the customers instead? ;)
    They extended the 0.9% financing till the end of February so it will be close.

We have been steady at the 1.9% (60month) the entire time here in Central PA. The dealer told me he doesn't see it changing anytime soon.

Odie
    Did anyone happen to see the Impreza Sport commercial yet?

Impreza - Dog Tested

Odie
  • iliketoshiftiliketoshift Member Posts: 24
    The horn sounds like a squeaky cat toy.

I don't need anything especially loud, or deep, but come-on Subaru. The horn on my son's bicycle with training wheels has more authority! I need to get a new horn, this is embarrassing! Any suggestions?
  • onemodogonemodog Member Posts: 26
    I would agree with that!
    The first time I hit the horn I laughed.
  • thom52thom52 Member Posts: 30
    I have not seen that or ANY Impreza commercial yet here in the Northwest.
    What is REALLY funny to note in that commercial, is that it features the hatchback.....which is in short supply because they loaded up the dealers with sedans. :)
    I'm not overly fond of those commercials. I will admit, though, that the Forester parallel parking commercial was a riot.
    Hella Supertone ;)
    would this work... someone wrote they added it to a Prius.

PIAA Sport Horn

Odie
    +1

The WRX and STI owners love that horn.