Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    ejwinters,
    Keep us posted! If you want for us to check into anything further for you on this, please don't hesitate to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • ejwintersejwinters Member Posts: 5
    OK...Update. Picked it up from the shop today and they told me that yes indeed it did misfire and the cause was because they put too much oil in the car. As of right now it hasn't misfired.

The transmission issue...they chalked up to the car getting to know my driving habbit.
    So fingers crossed and stay tuned!! Not sure I by it but we'll see.

The guys in the Bill Black Chevy Service department did do everything they knew to do. The guy that they put on quirky cases...like mine drove it for about 60 miles today after they cleared the codes and he said it worked fine for him. A second guy drove it around just to get a second opinion and then the Service Manager rode around with me so he could see and feel what I was feeling. Everything was ok...switching gears was a little rough...but not bad on a couple of occasions but nothing for me to flip out about. As he said..."it's the computer getting to know your driving style". Although later...i was parked on a hill and it didn't want to back up...so as i said we'll see! Thanks everyone for the comments. if anything else happens I'll be sure to let you know!
    Glad that they have found the cause of the issue, ejwinters! Take care!
  • latielynnlatielynn Member Posts: 1
    I bought the 2012 Equinox LT Feb of 2012. I have had zero issues and have no regrets for the purchase. The vehicle is wonderful. I'm in Oregon and have driven the AWD in snow and rain. It does everything it should, and it does it well.
    And for the record, I love the bucket seats too (with Lumbar support).
    My NOXey is fantastic and I have recommended it to many friends.
  • skeet7skeet7 Member Posts: 10
    Good luck with this...you'll need it. Our is schedule to go back in shop Monday to pull dash out yet again to fix a rattle :)
  • ed_the_equinoxed_the_equinox Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 2012 Equinox with a V6 on November 28, 2012. We drove both the 4 and 6 at various dealerships and decided on the the V6. One thing I regret is that I did not get to drive it on the interstate and see how it performed. The shifting of the transmission is horrible. It is not smooth. I figured with the V6, it should be a great ride on the interstates as we will be doing a lot of interstate traveling. WRONG. I will be doing 65 and going up a slight hill, pressing on the accelerator harder and harder now doing about 60 and then it hesitates, shifts, and then I am doing 72. It is the worst vehicle I have had to deal with for holding a relative constant speed. The service manager at the dealership told me that this was an inherent problem as there is no direct connect with the accelerator to the throttle. This I know but I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS and other vehicles and I don't have this problem. They offered to check the transmission but without a code, they won't find anything. I am disappointed in this vehicle.
  • jpf55jpf55 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our 4 cyl Fwd LTZ Equinox in Nov of 2011 and have since put 67,000 miles on this vehicle. We have put this car through every type of driving condition you can possibly imagine. Up & down the mountains of Tennesse and the Carolinas, Through the ice, snow and sleet of Illinois. In addition to that we drive 180 miles per day with a full load of car poolers and we get about 27.5 miles per gallon.
    I can't complain about this car considering what its been through and it's my 5th Chevy I've owned throughout my life time. My 4th Chevy, a 2000 Silverado LS that I still own has 275,000 miles on it and runs like new!
    So, to the point of this inquiry. Before the 100,000 mile warranty runs out, I would like to resolve the transmission jerk that seems to present itself on occasion. I'm not sure what causes this issue and it cannot be duplicated when I take it to the dealer. However, there seems to be a concensus noted throughout this blog there seems to be an issue. If by chance "gmcstsvc" is reading this or anyone else has had this problem and resolved it please let me know!
    In the mean time I'll keep driving my Chevy's! :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One thing you can do is document the problem with your dealer. Make sure your concerns are noted on the repair order even if they can't reproduce the problem. Then, if there's a fix (or a failure) after warranty, you might be able to get some help from GM, especially since you've been a loyal customer. No guarantees but it won't hurt (other than having to pay the diagnostic fee perhaps).

The Secret Warranty
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    After about a year now, we're having a similar "jerking" issue with our 2012 LS. We only have about 8K miles on ours and is mostly city driven.

Have yet to take it in for this "jerking" or hard shift, as I can see where it'll be one of those, "we can't duplicate the problem" stories. However, I will be taking our nox in within a month or so for an oil change and will at that time address and document the issue.

One thing ours did, once, and I've not seen it mentioned is this. One day I was coasting down a slight decline to a red light. I put the tranny in neutral but the light suddenly turned green. When I put the shifter back in "D", nothing would happen. The engine would race when I hit the throttle. After 3 or 4 attempts it finally took off.

I'll update when and if I have any further info.
    jpf55,
    Let us know if you would like for us to document anything for you or if you decide work with a dealership to get this transmission concern checked into. One thing to consider is that it is recommended to have the transmission serviced every 45,000 miles (p. 11-7 of the 2012 Equinox Manual) when the vehicle is driven in more severe circumstances, including hilly or mountainous driving.

We can be contacted at socialmediagm.com if you should have any further questions (please include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

ed_the_equinox,
    Have you already been in contact with customer assistance on this situation?
    Looking forward to your update, cmhj2000. If we can check into anything in the meantime, we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    OK...I've given the Equinox time to "get to know me" and as I feared...it doesn't like me!
    The other day I was pulling out of a parking lot and was coming to a rolling stop at a stop sign. Noticed there wasn't anything coming and put my foot down on the accelerator and nothing happend. I then left off and then went back down and it finally took off. My sister was with me and she freaked out just a bit..."that scared me" was what I heard.

I didn't call the dealership because I've been trying to recreate it so that I will be able to explain to the dealer so that they could experience it.

Today...while driving at 60 mpg...the car started making a grinding noise. If I sped up the sound went away but as soon as i went back to 60 mpg...it made the noise again.

You could feel the noise as well as hear it (if that makes any sense) it would also drop on power.

so back to the dealer it goes in the morning! Hubby is none too happy with my decision in cars. There could be a trade in my future!!
    :lemon:
    We hope that your visit to the dealership goes well today, ejwinters. Keep us posted on the outcome, and if you should need anything don't hesitate to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).
  • ed_the_equinoxed_the_equinox Member Posts: 2
    Yes and told me to bring it in for a check but without a code, they can't do anything. I will be taking it in for an oil change soon and will have them give it a look.
    Sounds like a plan, ed_the_equinox. Keep us updated!
  • skeet7skeet7 Member Posts: 10
    Day after day you say the same thing to ALLLLLL these unhappy customers, but yet when we follow your advice and send you our info., we NEVER hear from you! You (GM Customer Service) are no-more concerned for the owners than we are in owning the Nox's any longer. You try to 'buffer' the comments, but yet these people are talking loud and clear and clearly there is something wrong with the stalling or hesitation of these vehicles. They are unsafe and this needs to be noted and fixed.
  • kev403kev403 Member Posts: 2
    My 2012 Equinox with less than 5 thousand miles is at this time leaking water from one of the sides of the muffler. Yesterday while fueling up a very good amount of water poured out of the side and not the tail pipe.
    This obviously is not normal, any feed back before I take it down to the dealership??
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited March 2013
    Hhmm haven't looked my Terrain, but some vehicles have a weep hole in the muffler that allows water to drain and not pool as it might when used for short trips that don't allow enough heat to build up in muffler. Easy to find more info with a google search on 'automotive muffler weep hole'
    We're sorry to hear that you are having this concern with your new Equinox, kev403. Please let us know if there is anything we can assist with as you work with your dealership to get this checked into. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    OK...as predicted they couldn't get the car to reproduce what it did to me and neither could I. The Tech guy from the dealership rode around with me for an hour, with a computer hooked up to it, and it drove like a dream! Ugg!!
    I took it up heals stop and started abruptly...nothing.
    It's going to be one of those things that they'll never be able to figure out!
    Frustrated! :confuse:
  • kev403kev403 Member Posts: 2
    Sarah do you actual work for GM? and how would you assist me with my dealership?
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    Water in muffler is normal. Some cars have more water come out tial pipe then others. Water from tail pipe is whats left from the fuel/air mix after its burned thru the motor. On older cars it ment more water out the tail pipe. The carbrator was ajusted right.
    Good morning kev403,
    I do work for General Motors (we do use an @gm.com email address for private communication as indicated in my last post: socialmedia@gm.com). What we do as Customer Service Representatives is document that you're having this concern in a file attached to your name and the VIN of your vehicle, we would contact your dealership to get a better feel for what is going on technically, and would stay with you until hopefully the concern is resolved.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • elite8539elite8539 Member Posts: 2
    Chevy knows there is a problem with the computer chip and all the service bullitens that are out on this.

We bought a 2012 in march of 12. At about 5,000 miles we notice the car was missing slightly in the transmission. We took it to the dealer and they said they could not find anything. We we still would get the problem once in a while. We now have 18,000 miles on it and its in the shop again for the same thing. They said it was the computer chip. The next day they called and said many service bullitens where out on the 2012 equinox transmission. We are no on day 3 as they basiclly rebuilt the trans, No they are waiting to program the computer chip. So don't let them tell you there is nothing wrong. Press the issue. Im so disappointed. Chevy make tuff cars, but when the trans slips at 5,000 miles something is wrong.
  • elite8539elite8539 Member Posts: 2
    i just hope the rebuilt is as good as a brand new one. I thinking we should ask for a new transmission
    Hi elite8539,

I'm sorry to hear of this issue. Its certainly important to us that you are completely satisfied with your vehicle. I'm glad that we have the opportunity to make it right for you. Please let me know if I can help:-)

Sincerely,
    Crystal
    GM Customer Care
  • fpc99fpc99 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

We have a 2012 6 cyl. coincidentally purchased in March of 2012 as well. We had some odd transmission slipping in several instances of shifting in and out of park, especially into reverse - right from the start. We also had occasional messages to "Service Stabilitrak" I noticed this occurred when anything at all substantial was put in the rear cargo area. Each time we called the dealership and were told this is normal "adjustment" and to be sure we're not shifting with our foot off the brake etc.
    I am very disappointed to learn there are service bulletins out and no one is telling us. We cannot afford to take time off and be without a vehicle - but it looks like we may be headed toward major inconvenience and possible safety issues(?) My other car is a 2013 Equinox. Could there be similar issues with that one as well?
  • brinafarrar1brinafarrar1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all - I goggled my problem and found this website. My vehicle is jerking and my feet on not even on the gas. It almost made me rear end the car in front of me and caught me so off guard.

Dropped my car off at Chevy Performance this morning in Chapel Hill and they state they can't duplicate it. This is a major safety concern. I have emailed GM customer care today as well.

Service claims there's no service alerts on this problem but you all are reporting numerous alerts. Why don't they just fix it?
  • jessicas6977jessicas6977 Member Posts: 4
    Call GM directly like I did: 1-800-222-1020
  • 2010equinox22010equinox2 Member Posts: 4
    Is there anything in the works for a class action lawsuit for this vehicle. I had read somewhere that something was being put together, I would like to participate since my 2010 is currently at the dealer for engine replacement, and by reading the reviews replacing the motor doesn't solve the issues.
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    We have 2012 Nox. this is normal. Part of security.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    edited May 2013
    No big surprise but of course, the problem couldn't be duplicated. "sigh"

Was looking at a Kia Sportage, might do it again since my 06.5 Optima is running like a clock with over 100K miles!
  • elizabeth41elizabeth41 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox that is also have the same engine problems (diesel-like start, rough idle, stalling, etc). It has been at the dealership for 5 days, and they have yet to "duplicate" the problem. The "problem" was occurring all weekend before I dropped it off to the dealership on Monday. What do you do when the dealership cannot "duplicate" the problem? I'm terrified to drive the vehicle, and I for sure don't want to take my 2 year old son around in it. Should I contact GM? Should I insist the dealership keep it until they can duplicate the problem? What are my legal rights in this situation?
    Hello Elizabeth41
    I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing such frustrations. I would like you to contact me so I can look into this for you. Please send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Jackie and I will exhaust every resource that I have to try and help you get this issue resolved. We would not want any customer to experience what you have described.

Jackie
    Chevrolet Customer Care
  • amanda823amanda823 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 Chevy Equinox in October of 2010. Since purchasing it, I've had nothing but trouble. The engine burned oil, and the engine had to be replaced. I am currently waiting for a new catalytic convertor. I've also had trouble with the car randomly stalling and shutting off. I don't know that I would recommend an equinox to anyone. I feel like I'm constantly at the garage.
    amanda823,

So sorry to hear that you haven't had a good experience with your 2011 Equinox. Have you spoken with GM Customer Service about your repeated issues?

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • bigkritterbigkritter Member Posts: 31
    I got my first new car for mothers day last year. I thought after turning 50 it was time. There has been a number of things to go wrong, When I take it in for shifting problems they tell me a 4 cylinder was not made to go fast on demand. (which is a line of *&%$%* Then second time they tell me I am confusing the computer by letting up on gas than pressing down on gas. another line of *(&%#*.) third time could not duplicate any problems was told they have a data link they can put on the car to get readout while driven it, Waited over 30 day due to they could not download updated stuff to the data link, then I called and they said they had it now. Took car in, they rest tranny info and said it would learn how I drive. Oh ya they never installed a data link on my car. When trying to merge on freeway The tack goes up high than i let up on gas it does not go down or shift to next gear. also I have had problems with track stabellizer light coming on, which when I check book it tells you how to reset, (ok why did it come on to begin with?) Check engine lights comes on, something about EVAP. Locks unlock sometimes when driving, info center dimes sometimes turns off. my headlight sensor on dash when completely covered by hand does not make lights go on auto, was told if I put a piece of paper over it it would work, Do I beleave all of the Bull ^%$) no ,so whats up. Anyone else been told about this data link?
    Hi bigkritter,

I am very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your vehicle. I would like to research this for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is socialmedia@gm.com "Attn Crystal" in the subject line. Look forward to hearing from you.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
    Hi bigkritter,

I am very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your vehicle. I would like to research this for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is socialmedia@gm.com "Attn Crystal" in the subject line. Look forward to hearing from you.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
  • lch033lch033 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2012 Equinox in the shop at the Dealership twice now. When I go to give it gas it will hesitate and then the transmission kicks in real hard.....it even does it when I try to accelerate in traffic to change lanes. The first time they said the lines and filter were clogged and they cleaned it out and replaced some things.

I got it back and a week later it started it again......it's at the Dealership now and they say they "can't get it to duplicate" so I can come pick it up.....I don't know what's going on with it however it's NOT RIGHT.

I almost want to tell them to keep it and I'l get something else.....I've been loyal to Chevy for years and I just want someone to fix this!

Anyone else having these issues??

Lara in Terrell, Texas
    Hi Lara,

I know it can be frustrating experiencing vehicle problems and not being able to duplicate the situation at the dealership. Please continue working with your dealer to resolve this issue. If you have any other questions or concerns we are here to be of assistance.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    Hi Lara,

I have the same issue with my 2012 Nox. It feels as though the transmission is slipping, then all of a sudden it grabs and jolts you forward. It feels like when you drop the clutch with a manual transmission. There have been several times where it felt like soemone hit me from behind. y 2010 Nox did this as well, and this seems to be an issue with this vehicle. this message board, as well as another popular Equinox message board is full of people with this issue.

Dealerships are telling customers everything from, "this is normal for this type of transmission", "the cars computer is still trying to learn how you drive, and this will clear up over time", "can not fix as we can not duplicate the problem". I was told not to run the Nox in ECO mode, to see if it helped...which it did not.

Not sure what else to do...
    Hey Lara,

I have had alot of problems too. Have you been told about a data link that they put on your car?
  • ccoreyccorey Member Posts: 2
    Add another one to the list of burning oil problems. I took it 2 months ago with a slugging response issue, engine light came on. The service invoice came back with very low oil, then apparently there was a recall (12312) done to the Equinox at that time. They adjusted the the computer settings for the oil life gauge. Guess what, two months later (today) it is back in another service center. I did check the oil before it was towed and there was not a drop on the dip stick. I noticed it was sluggish a few days before when turning but did not correlate it as i thought the problem was resolved.
  • twerkingtwerking Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Not sure if this issue has been resolved yet but the problem is your water pump chain. Its an internal chain driven water pump. When replacing you need to make sure all the links / chain are removed. The only way to do this is drop the oil pan. The water pump chain and timing chain on the NOX are junk. The water pump chain will correct your heat issue as it did mine but now I need to do the timing chain and tensioner. Hope all the valves are ok! You may want to look into doing this as well before your chain goes and/or jumps timing and messes up your motor. I will be getting rid of my girlfriends NOX as soon as I get it running properly again.
  • recall7recall7 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2013 Chevy Equinox LTZ, V6,AWD with Nav. Last 8 of VIN D6175156. For some reason I do not have the overlay (guide Lines) on my 7 inch screen from the rear camera. GM customer service informs me that this feature is not available. Whoever at GM who made the decision to delete this feature should be looking for a job. On my last call to GM customer service I was told that I could solve the problem by buying another vehicle. Thank you GM.
    where are you finding service bulletins
  • gmretiregmretire Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2012 Equinox 6 cyl. that misses- vibs @ 1500 rpm have contacted Dealership and Chev. cust service, they have checked it out at least 4 times and say it is normal !, I asked them why it didn't do it till 6-8k miles on it, they don't know !, I have had Passengers in the car and ask what's wrong with it ? they did not know I was having issues with it ! G.M. has pretty much wrote me off, I have 2 more Years Lease with this Equinox and am Mad as you know what., I am a G.M. Retire and will probably never Buy a G.M. again ! Pretty sad they Take your Money and run, and say it is Normal, it's Crap !, they say they don't have any others like it.,which I know better by searching Interenet! You can feel miss in Neutral,Park or going down the road any gear when it reaches 1500 RPM, which is about 55mph with cruise ! Help !!
    Hello gmretire,

I'm sorry to see that you're experiencing these issues with your vehicle. I want to assist you in finding a resolution for this concern? If you would send your full name, address, telephone, name of dealer servicing the vehicle, current mileage and VIN number to socialmedia@gm.com, I would be glad to research some options that may be available to you.

Marlea Wilson
    GM Customer Care