Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Member Spotlight - Meet Fezo! - June/July 2012

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
The Member Spotlight will be a regular feature that recognizes the outstanding people that make the Edmunds Forums the best automotive community on the internet.

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    edited June 2012
    It gives me great pleasure to announce Fezo as the first person selected for Edmunds Member Spotlight. Got a question for Fezo? Just ask!

What was your first car?

I learned to drive on a 67 Pontiac Tempest station wagon. The first one I actually bought was after I got out of college in 1973 - a 1969 Volvo 142 that cost $1,500. Now such a car would seem like a pretty tame choice for a 22 year old guy but what got me on the lot was an MGB which tuned out to already be spoken for. To this day I think about an old MG. Maybe a Miata.....

Of all the cars you’ve owned, which was your favorite and why?

Funny thing that. Now I am a stick shift fanatic but my two favorite cars I've had were both automatics - both used cars that happened to come that way. One is my current ride which is a 2007 Toyota Solara SLE convertible. The obvious thing I like is that the top comes down. For a convertible it has a good sized trunk (13 cubic feet - only one less than a plain old Accord sedan). Lets me pack guitars and such no problem. It's not one of those feel of the road fun to drive cars but a top that comes down covers a multitude of sins. It is quiet for a convertible and has more bells and whistles than I've had before even though by 2012 standards it's already kind of an antique....

The other one was a 1987 Nissan Maxima wagon. Had to buy in a hurry because a guy ran a stop sign and totaled my 85 Accord - and nearly me with it! That Maxima had a wonderful feel to it and was really quick. Being a wagon it was a real sleeper. People would kind of look confused pulling out from a light.

Oh, and I should mention when I was a senior in high school my dad realized he needed a third car in the family to shuttle my brothers around as needed and asked me if he bought me a car would I do those chores as need. What a silly question. Any question that started with "If I get you a car" was going to get a yes answer. He traded a dishwasher worth $250 for a 1954 Mercedes 300B Adenauer. What a car! I was the talk of the high school at a time when the other guys were driving muscle cars - GTOs, souped up Mustangs and such. Wish I still had that.

If you were a car, which car would you be and why?

I'd like to say something like a BMW M of some sort but more likely I'd have to be something like a Corolla since I seem to have parts go bad in me and replacement parts would at least be readily available....

If you could invite 3 cars over for dinner, which would you have?

Well, maybe I'd have a 58 Edsel over just to ask it "What were you thinking??!!??"

Maybe a 62 Corvette and see if I could talk it into staying.

Maybe I'd invite that new electric Fit because it wouldn't eat much....

If you could design the car of the future, what feature would it have?

The ability to convert into a hovercraft.

What is the highest mileage you’ve ever put on a car?

I've got 245K on my old 00 Accord that I bought with 46 miles on it. My daughter drives it now and hates that it's a stick shift but of course I have the standard dad reply - "When you buy your own car you can have whatever you want!" I hope to break 300K with it.

What originally brought you to Edmunds?

I was poking around on that new Internet thing in 1997 and somehow stumbled onto the forums. A bunch of folks that were basically car nuts just talking away. What was not to like? Lots of good folks then - a few are still around all these years later. That daughter that I argue stick shifts with was 8 at the time....

How often do you log into Edmunds Forums?

If I'm online I've always got an Edmunds window up, so pretty much every day for hours.

Which forums do you frequent and why?

I pop into a lot but am a sucker for chatty forums that move around a fair bit which puts me regularly in the Stories from the Sales Frontlines and Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous but I look at loads of stuff and will tend to comment whenever something just seems to be asking for my comment...

How did you pick your screen name and why?

Ha! Fezo dates back to when I was 12 years old and trying to cheat my 6 year old brother in Scrabble for Juniors. It had pictures around the side of the board with the words under them. One was of a fez and my brother had the z and played it. I had nothing but vowels including three Os. So I played one and tried to convince him that fezo was a word. He didn't buy it but the word stuck. My family and friends started using it for everything. I was in a band called Fezo for years. My license plate says FEZO as do plates in three other states (Maine, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire - two bothers and a friend who is as much a brother as my brothers).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well live and learn. And I thought "fezo" had something to do with you being Turkish! :P

So, are you the oldest active member in the Edmunds Forums?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    how did they miss the most obvious question?

SO fezo, how many wills have you sucked your way into?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Only two and neither of them mean it.... Well, maybe Richard will at least put that "Hi, Steve" in there. The other one is clearly just a tease......

Oldest poster - I think that would be isellhondas (who should properly now be isoldhondas) but we're pretty close. Both date back to 1997.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Now that your famous, you shouldn't need anyone's will. The money will start pouring in! :P

Nice writeup!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Maybe I'd invite that new electric Fit because it wouldn't eat much....

lol, good thinking!

The ability to convert into a hovercraft.

Don't you have a vacuum cleaner?

It's not one of those feel of the road fun to drive cars

You didn't mention me once, but at least you stole my phrase :P

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Well, I didn't mention you by name but you did get recognition as being the tease on putting me in the will....

Yeah, that "feel of the road" was just for you. If not I might have said something like "driving dynamics" and made roadburner happy.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Well, there you go. Not a word of thanks to all us little people whose shoulders you are standing on to get all this attention !!

Just kidding Steve. If anyone deserved this honor it is you buddy ! Congratulations!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2012
    In your honor, I drug the Subaru out of the garage, grabbed my gas coupons and filled it up (first time since February). After getting twenty cents a gallon off, the price came in at $3.49 a gallon. Was able to cram a bit over ten gallons in it.

New Joisey Turnpike prices. :)
    Very good! Right on the nose.

My usual Sunoco station is 2 cents cheaper but a lot of good it does me - I'm 100 miles away.

Going home for a long weekend next Thursday and by a month from now will be home for more or less good.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Fezo dates back to when I was 12 years old and trying to cheat my 6 year old brother in Scrabble for Juniors. :D

Funny! Until reading this, I thought "fezo" was a Steely Dan reference. :shades:

Ain't never gonna do it
    Without the fez on, oh no
    That's what I am, please understand
    I wanna be your holy man
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Nice going, Fezo. It's like this honor was custom tailored just for you.

Milk that hospital stay for all it's worth. Hopefully you'll be out soon.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

See that? I was ahead of my time! :D
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    An extremely fitting first choice. Congrats, Sir!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Steve: "my name is Fezo, and I'm addicted to Edmunds."
    All: "hi, fezo!"

:)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    "My name is Fezo"

Is there a 12-step program for this addiction? Or at least one to help maintain marital harmony while spending time on Edmunds.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The Kroger store (and some of it's other name stores) are allowing up to $2.00 off per gallon through its discount program. $.10 off for each $100 spent in the store. The good thing is that prescriptions count as $50 and gift cards count double their face value toward the $100 increments. Occasionally and currently the gift cards count as 4X their face value--e.g., buy $150 of Lowes cards for planned purchase of fence or replacement disposal or paint, and you get $600 credit ($.60 toward fuel purchase). Cashier told my wife last week she had just checked out the largest sale in her decades at Kroger: $3500, gift cards for remodeling at Lowes.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Congrats on being número uno! You deserve it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited June 2012
    Is there a 12-step program for this addiction? Or at least one to help maintain marital harmony while spending time on Edmunds.

Just log in from work. Not that Fezo ever did that from the office. ;)
    I posted in another discussion, but I'll make it clear here, I think it's great you were selected as the first one in the spotlight. You are very deserving.

And I think it's great Edmunds is doing this.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Just log in from work

No, none of us have..... :blush:

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    I always enjoy reading your posts, Fezo. You inject a lot of humor! Cheers.
    Log in from work? This might assume that I actually did any work.... As opposed to collecting a paycheck.....

Thanks, guys. Enjoying the spotlight.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    that honoring folks like Fezo (well done!), Edmunds has come to grips with the fact that torpedoing all those boards a number of years ago that were mostly social wasn't a very good idea.

They were fun, and maybe this one, among others, will help replace them.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Guppis es la tienda de animales con todos los productos para tu mascota.

¿Que?
    Yes, it took a number of years but I think they've pretty much found the right balance.

Too bad things like the old FMO and Ask Sir Fezo topics have been lost in the ether. Lost my lovely posts rewriting Beach Boys car tunes featuring Hyundai Excels and such.....
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Edmunds has come to grips with the fact that torpedoing all those boards a number of years ago that were mostly social wasn't a very good idea.

Agreed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    "...The other one is clearly just a tease..."

No, I was serious, when I croak you get my. 1988 GMC Vandura along with any wildlife that is living in it at the time. :lemon: :lemon:

My wife can't drive a stick and I don't want her digging me up so she can complain that it's blocking the driveway making it hard for her new boyfriend to park. :sick:

Congrats on your new found fame.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Maybe we can work a deal. I'll take the Vandura but you have to throw in the Corvette.....

I'll set my cat out on the wildlife in the van.
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    Completely agree...Sir Fezo and FMO were outstanding.
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    And lost forever is my Christmas poem based on "Twas the night before Christmas" where one of the lines was "and they went to the mattresses". There was gold in them thar hills, all gone now.
    Ah, yes. Those were the days except for the fact that back then we were constantly relearning where the line was that you couldn't cross. That seems much more defined now.

OK,, here it is - the only commercial you'll see in here - Team Steve - Relay for Life Hope Lodge NYC June 21, 2012. Raise me a fortune....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You should be honored - even the spammers graced your topic with their presence (selling all sorts of goods for your pets).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yeah, I caught one spammer. What higher honor.....
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Hey, congratulations Steve or....ah...fezo!

You certainly deserve the honor!

Now, get yourself healthy and STAY that way my friend!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    interesting piece on Nightline last night. Robin Roberts announced that she has another illness (she was the one that had very public breast cancer treatments a few years back), and it is the same one (MDS). She may be taking over Fezo's room at some point, since they were talking about treatment being a bone marrow transplant.

She was at least fortunate to be a perfect match with her sister, so at least that part will be easier.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Yeah, I caught that. Welcome to the club, Robin. Not one you want to be in but you'll be fine. It's time consuming getting better but all is moving along for me and I'm sure it will for her as well. Just don't expect to be right back to work.
    Good opportunity to plug Be The Match too.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Big, bright spotlight on one of the brightest lights here at Edmunds! :)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    edited June 2012
    I've been around here since about 1999, maybe longer, I really don't remember.

You've been on the forums I frequent for several years now. But farther back, it seems I don't remember seeing postings from you. But there were several occasional posts from other 'Old Timers' about the vaulted 'Fezo' and what he said about some topic in the past years.

Was there a time where you took a 'time out' from Edmunds?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Hey, you cheat in Scrabble and like the Beach Boys and probably Jan and Dean as well - that makes you good in my book!
    There might have been a couple of years where I was taking it easy but I've certainly been around.

I think there was a time fairly early on when I took a break back when they couldn't figure out how tight a reign they wanted to put on things. Back then you might find your post "scribbled" - which meant gone.
    Oh, sure. Jan and Dean, too! I would think for car guys that would almost be a requirement!
    Too quiet in here.... In the old days that's when we post something like "Who's The Most Annoying Host" as a new topic.

Just not the same today when they have the rules a lot more figured out, though my nominee would be..... NO. Not catching me there....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,194
    No.... go ahead.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Now my money was on steve as the first to take the bait but glad to see you here....
    It's a tough question. They did so much weeding over the years.

I think the one who survived all those years pretty much intact is Mr. Shiftright who doesn't qualify as annoying in the least. Back in the day he was the beacon of sanity though he'd probably be insulted by my saying that.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Got a question for Fezo? Just ask!

Hi Fezo! What is the meaning of life? And why can't I find a car to buy that meets or exceeds my lofty expectations?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Oh, sure. Jan and Dean, too! I would think for car guys that would almost be a requirement

Now you're from the Northeast. You can add Doo-Wop which seemed so predominantly NYC and Philly. Good doo-Wop and old car shows are hard to beat as a combo.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Fezo, you have *no idea* how much human effort it takes to appear sane. :P