Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    If you can live with the flaws in the paint, the best advice is to leave it alone. I hate to see a brand new car re painted. What if the colour is a shade off? You will notice this far more than a bump. When you trade the car in, in a few years you will not get one penny less for a small paint defect. Granted the paint should be perfect on a new car, but things happen to any mass produced vehicles.
  • peter07peter07 Member Posts: 7
    For those that have memory seats in the 2013 Honda Accords, it would seem that once you press the star/stop button to stop the car and exit, the seat should automatically move back and allow easier access out and then back into the car. Then when you get back into the car, when you press Start/Stop again, the seat will automatically go back to its last setting. That is how memory seats work on MOST cars. The way the Honda seats work makes it difficult since if the previous person driving the car was short, then it would make it much more difficult to enter the car without moving the seat back for someone taller.
    This does not happen with the new Accords. Just wondering if that is true for those who have this option in the Accord.
  • nor10nor10 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased 2013 Accord Touring Sedan two weeks ago. This is my first Honda product and the safety items included on this car & Honda reputatuion for building a good product influenced my decission. Two concerns. #1) when in the Eco mode and letting up off gas pedal to slow down for traffic I have noticed that the car will drop in speed dramtically. It feels as if the brakes were being applied. I have only noticed this when the speed is 25mph or less. I noticed drops in speed of 7-9mph. Should I be concerned? #2) Radio having heavy static on XM/FM regardless of station. When I stopped and started car again it went away. This occured twice. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks
  • akdudeakdude Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2013 sport with CVT on October 10. I have experienced some small shuddering in the CVT at low speed acceleration but after 1400 miles they have decreased and it is not really noticeable anymore. My concern/issue is with the front and rear hood, doors and trunk gaps. They are the biggest gaps I have seen on any model of accord or Honda in general for that matter this being my 9th accord starting in 1983. My right exhaust pipe is over a 1/4 inch lower than the left. The gaps are the worst between the front and rear doors and left side of the trunk lid measuring 1/4 inch/6+ millimeters wide for the trunk lid and right at 6 mm between the front and rear doors. I watched an American Honda infomercial on Youtube about how low they have the gap tolerances. I laugh every time because the white Accord the guys are standing next to has pretty big gaps on the left side of the trunk lid. The guy in charge of gap tolerance says the standard used to be 3 mm but they have it down to 1mm. I realize now that he must be talking about the tail lights, headlights and bumper to fender fitment but come on, he should not generalize " body panel tolerance". Is my new Accord just "unique" or are others experiencing the same inconsistency in their 2013 Accords? This new Accord is the best yet but I am not happy with theses huge gaps. I'm meeting with the regional manager next week at the dealership but there's not much he will be able to do. What really drives me nuts is the exhaust alignment. If they don't fix that I will be pissed. The rest I can live with.
  • christian1962christian1962 Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2012
    I have noticed a lot of autumn leaves getting in the gaps between the hood, the front fenders and the windshield wiper crevice area. But they don't get into the engine bay. There's only one misalignment on my car: between the driver's and read passenger doors, there's maybe 1mm difference when seen from the driver's side outside mirror. Also, the bottom of the driver's door has maybe 1mm or less difference with the lower side carriage. The paint is very rich, almost pearl purple at night. I think she looks great! Although neither our Honda Element, nor Fit Sport had the leaves issue, which is kinda weird.
  • faischivofaischivo Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2012
    This has happened to me.. I realy dont mind ,It also happens when I'am driving under normal conditions,, I believe thats when the cylinder diactivation kicks in and goes from 6 to 3 you will see a reduction in speed,, kind of of saves on the bracks is how I look at it . Heavy static and backup camera goes on while you are driving, this has happened to me 3 times ,,,And I heard the static 2 times when I started the car and dint have anything on got an electrical buzz had to stop and start the car again .... backup camera just yesterday my wife asked if the backup camera is supposed to go on while driving,she though that she had done something wrong when in fact she had just made a right turn and the backup camera came on and stayed on ,said she had to stop the car and restart it. I will be seeing my dealer very f****n soon ...... I have owned the car for over 2 months I luv the car , but dealing with this is pissing me off .........
  • faischivofaischivo Member Posts: 26
    Have the same problem exl v6/navi steady buzzing electrical sound from dash ..Have to stop and start again, then it goes away, also have heard it with nothing on ,just starting up the car..

WILL BE AT DEALER VERY SOON ...............................
  • kkuhnskkuhns Member Posts: 8
    Since I started this thread about the CVT jerking, I'm following up with an update.

I have around 2900 miles on my car now. I thought the frequency of the jerking CVT at low speeds was diminishing, and in fact, we could not reproduce the problem the day I took it to the dealer to test about two weeks ago. Since then, I have felt the issue off and on, so I took it back to the dealer yesterday. They drove it and captured the problem in an electronic snapshot. Then they applied a software update from Honda and drove it again to take another snapshot. They could not reproduce the problem on that short test drive, so the Service Manager and I took it for another test drive. We could not reproduce the problem again either, but that was just a short test. The Service Manager said that the Honda rep he talked to at Honda America said they have applied this fix on a few cars and it seems like it might have addressed the issue, pending further feedback. So far, so good for me, in the three or four times I've driven since yesterday. Honda America will analyze the snapshot log files my dealer sent them yesterday.

So, my advice to others who have concerns about this, or other similar concerns, is to 1) take it to the dealer to see if they have an update or can do anything about your issue, and if not then 2) send a letter/fax to Honda America explaining the problem and the steps you've taken and request an investigation. My experience so far has been positive. I have had at least two calls from Honda America expressing interest, trying to understand the issue, and encouraging me to get the car tested. I have also had calls from the dealer service manager, who is getting questions from Honda America, also encouraging me to bring it in so they can test and hopefully resolve the issue.

I'll post another update later, to confirm or clarify if the problem seems resolved, and to confirm there are no harmful side effects from this software tweak to the CVT performance. Time will tell.

I'm glad others are posting their experiences here; it is helpful. I encourage everyone to engage Honda dealers and Honda America in good, clear, dispassionate communication about your issues, and hopefully that will lead to resolutions for you as well. Of course, your mileage may vary...
  • mlk_704mlk_704 Member Posts: 1
    Have about 6000 miles on my 2013 accord 4cyl with CVT. Problem with jerking at low speeds getting worse. Need to take to dealer but thats such a pain. Very disappointed i paid extra to ge a Honda and have issues already. Hopefully their service will be as good as their rep is. Also getting a knock when i stop fast and take a right turn, like brakes or tranny is locking up a little then it releases.
  • pgm17pgm17 Member Posts: 51
    Christian1962,

Today I refueled and instead of starting the car right up I did this instead and the system dropped down the miles and mpg information.

On last refuel I got back in and just turned key to start.
    Today I stopped at on and let it load. It didn't reset. Then I started.
    The system reloaded. Reset trip to zero due to refuel and dropped down the mpg and total miles for that tank.

So now I have one tank with no mpg info and one with on the previous section of screen. Seems like an easy work around!
  • drjjjjdrjjjj Member Posts: 25
    If we overlook the jerky trannys, body panel gaps, paint problems and electric whines-it should be car of the year!
    The car they submit for review for that award will probably be very well tested and perfect! Assuming Motor Trend doesn't just go look at any one out there when determining COTY Award.
  • pammyopammyo Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem - first my phone connection will say "audio not available", then my volume will freeze and my phone is muted, and sometimes I hear the static and buzzing too. The only way to stop it is to restart the car. I would be interested to hear what your dealer says, I called mine and they said they have not heard of this.
  • christian1962christian1962 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks pgm17 for discovering this workaround. I'll use it. :)
  • maxgts1maxgts1 Member Posts: 9
    Recently took delivery of a CVT Sport. A couple of days later, while washing it, I discovered, what seems to be, some small debris caught under the paint during the manufacturing process. Unfortunately, with how I tend to fixate on things, it's not allowing me to enjoy my new car completely. After Christmas, I will be contacting my dealer to let them know about this issue. Although I'll expect the typical dealer response, I have no intentions of repainting any part of the vehicle or letting the dealer try to "fix" the problem. Tell me what you think. Should I just let it be and try to enjoy the car?

• bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Hopefully as time goes by you will be able to ignore this defect. Sloppy work though.
    maxgts1, I notice from your previous posts you are in S Florida as well. Who did you buy and/or plan to use for service?

I used largo for sale but may use braman for service.

I would say leave it. Don't want to mess with original paint.
    On our LX which I got weekend before thanksgiving we scratched up the bumper taking/putting the baby stroller into the trunk.

On a couple day old car I thought I handled it pretty well. And still haven't even put touch up paint. Sometimes have to let it go and enjoy the sweet ride you got on the sport model.
    Hi pgm17. Not sure yet where I'll be getting it serviced. I took a drive by [non-permissible content removed] Tech in Broward to get a price sheet. They've been around for quite a long time. Met the owner, who was very friendly. Mostly positive reviews. I believe they have a location in Dade too. My closest dealer would be Rick Case Honda. My only fear is the detailer at a dealer hacking up my paint job with the free wash that's included with service.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    If they try to fix it, it will look worse, and make you feel really unhappy.

You could bring it here, at a nearby mall, and park it for a couple of days. If you find it in one piece, when you come back, the scratches and dings you will see on it will make you forget that little thing you have right now ...

Enjoy life !
    Cheers !
  • tobyltobyl Member Posts: 6
    When I truned on the ECO, I did not feel any changes in the car. Where can I know the ECO is processing.
    Also, when the engine is on, I feel quiet inside. However, When I stand out of the car, I hear the sound coming from the engine. It did not really quiet. Does it normal for a new car or anyone has the same feel.
    I mostly notice it with how the CVT operates. Also if you have the climate control in Auto, you will notice it keeps recirculate mode on for much longer than non Econ mode. So far things I notice in Econ mode. So far not a fan of it. Prefer normal mode and when I ran one tank with it on didn't see much increase in mpg.
    Thanks for your advise on the ECO. How about the noise from the engine? I feel the engine has a litte bit noise when I stand next to the car.
    edited December 2012
    Yes, I meant to reply about that. The engine seems to have a little more noise when it idles and you stand around the car. It sounds like a ticking noise. More than my 09 Accord 4 cylinder at least. I just assumed it was how the direct injection worked. It is much quieter during driving than my 09 so I was ok with it.
    You mean the engine noise is normal becuase I just confuse with it. Thank you so much for your professional advise; it sounds good.
    To me it sounds normal. Maybe others can chime in.
    Thanks, but I am far from a professional!
    My CVT Sport also has the 'ticking' engine sound at idle. But it's very quiet under normal driving. What I haven't done yet is accelerate hard to redline in Sport mode with the paddles. I've only got 100 miles on the engine. I'm wondering how it'll sound then. How many miles should I put on the engine before I can start doing hard accelerations?
    Manual says to avoid that for about 600 miles and take it easy on the brakes for 200.
  • anne99anne99 Member Posts: 11
    Attention all Honda owners
    Please review this post, and follow the instructions
    You can obtain valuable info about your car for free
    you don't need to create an account, login to anything, or pay for anything
    The listing of recalls, campaigns, and technical service bulletins is FREE
  • ajdreajdre Member Posts: 3
    Similar defect on my 2013 - ex-l , except the "dirt: is under the rear passenger window. I was pretty upset to.

Dealer said they would repaint the area and blend in. however they advised not to mess with the factory paint......I can ignore this.......your defect is in a more inconspicuous place, 100% leave it and try to ignore it Just wait until someone dings your door in a parking lot! Happened to me already....arrrrrhhhh
  • ajdreajdre Member Posts: 3
    Update :

The squeek on the drivers side front wheel was a loose clip on the brake....fixed :-)

The steering wheel is now changed and much better.

The paint defect I can live with.

Love the car.
    While cleaning the dashboard, I discovered three distinct fingerprint swipes on my Accord Sport's LCD. This LCD sits behind a clear plastic lens, so cleaning it is not possible. This is just another example of how Honda's quality control, at their assembly plant in Marysville, Ohio, is not up to par. Luckily it's hardly visible when the screen is on.

• quality4usquality4us Member Posts: 11
    Thanks to everyone who has posted on several of the issues I have experienced. At least it is good to know I am not alone.

I have had my Accord for three weeks (700 miles) and have noted these problems:

1. The transmission has a noticeable vibration at roughly 1500-2000 rpms in most gears. The problem is inconsistent but observable on each vehicle trip I have taken.
    2. At highway speeds (50-65 mph) there is a noticeable vibration and instability that is unexpected and unacceptable for a new V6 sedan.
    3. Twice, the central computer display, which displays a camera view of the right side of the automobile when the right turn signal is on, failed to return to the normal state when the signal was released. The image from the side mirror-mounted camera stayed on for 15 minutes until the auto was turned off. After it was restarted, the display functioned correctly. I have captured this defect on video.
    4. On three separate occasions, the audio that was displayed did not match the audio that was being played. Twice, the audio being played was from another source but the display showed a different one. Another time, the album/song did not match the one being played (from the same source).
    5. The audio sound quality on two occasions displayed a very noticeable tinny resonance for any of the sources played. Turning the audio on and off, changing sources or CDs, made no difference. After the automobile was turned off and back on, the audio returned to normal sound quality. I have captured this defect on video.

I have tried to explain and document these issues as objectively as possible. Quite frankly, though, I am very disappointed and angered by the poor initial quality of this vehicle that was touted so highly by well regarded automotive and consumer websites and magazines.
  • brdlnbrdln Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Called Honda Customer Service to see if there was any info, or fix yet for the problem with the radio screeching and not working from time to time, something it looks like a lot of owners are having with the new 2013 Accord. The answer was nothing at this time is on record.

I was told, take it to the dealer, and if nothing is done, or found, call back to customer service and give them my case number, and Honda would look into it. I asked, why should I take it in, spend the time, only to be told, like others, there is no solution, or problem, or the problem could not be replicated.

I said the problem is there, people, like on this forum, are having the problem, so it exists. They HAVE been to the dealer, but you have nothing about it. It is being talked about on the net, so it is out there.

CS--"Sir, Honda does not read, nor follow anything that is posted on the internet. Honda does not read anything on the net, AT ALL. People posting on the net are just talking to the air."

I asked how my taking the car to the dealer would change anything, if a solution does not yet exist? CS-"Sir, the only way Honda will know if a problem exists, is if a vehicle is taken to the dealer." Yes I said, but the problem is already out there. CS-"Sir, Honda does not read any thing on the internet, At All."

Wow, the internet is probably the FIRST PLACE problems will show up, with people asking about them. Honda doesn't read the internet? Either it's malarky, or Honda doesn't care, AT ALL about problems with the cars they build.

If Honda IS reading this forum, here is one for you Honda. I HATE the 2013 EX-L 4 that we bought and would NOT recommend it to anyone. It is the worse riding car I have ever driven, the interior comforts of this car totally suck.

I have owned Hondas in the past, but I can't tell you how mad I am at myself for falling in love with the looks, power and some features like the cameras, and NOT TESTING the car more, or looking closer. This is the roughest riding and bounciest car I have ever driven. My Tacoma Prerunner on VERY rough roads, with it's harder suspention is SSSMMMOOOOTTTHHH and comfortable, compared to this car on city streets. Every small bump in the road is felt and the car beats you to death. Just wish there had been what is now regular pavement on the test drive.

There are many things about the car I like, but if I could affort to eat the thousands we would lose, I would DUMP this car in a heart beat.

I also posted earlier, in the car review section, titled, "buyer's remorse", and the list of what is wrong with this car just keeps growing.

Like having to buy after market floor mats, because after three months and 1600 miles, the original driver's mat already has a worn spot starting to show. The front brakes dust up so quickly and dirty, the front wheels go from silver to ugly gray, seems like over night.

No garage door button on an EX-L-4. I think that says it all about the thought that went into this car.

The list of what is wrong with this car just keeps growing, but I'm stuck with it and there is NOTHING I can do to change it. I doubt we will ever adjust to it, like I thought I would, only live with it, until I can affort to dump this pig.
  • alexandyalexandy Member Posts: 16
    Just a "heads up"...took delivery of CVT Sport on 12/31/12 and no issues until the evening of 1/9/13 when I was driving home in some pretty heavy rain. Upon entering a gradual curve in the road, I suddenly noticed the steering was "Heavy", as if there was no power steering. I noticed a yellow light on the dash and thought maybe the engine had died (I was more worried about negotiating the curve at the time). Quickly realized the engine was still running and just a few seconds later, the light went out and steering was "normal". Got home, verified which light had come on and it was the "Electric Power Steering" warning light. Called dealer next morning and they suggested a "Play it by ear" approach (which I agreed with). Everything fine for next 4 days then this past Sunday evening, when I started the car, the light was back on and Power Steering was not working. The light would not go out. I decided to see just how hard the car would be to drive without power steering (was tough) but figured I could drive it to the dealer the next morning. That afternoon they called to say they were going to replace the Electric Power Steering Motor and the car should be ready the next day (today). This afternoon late, they called to say that replacing the Motor still didn't make thing "right", and they were discussing it with American Honda. The plan is to replace the "Controller" and see if that takes care of the issue. The Service Dept person mentioned a couple of times how this is "New Technology" and could take a while to fully resolve (I do have Honda Care and a rental is being provided so not as bad as it could be).
    Gary
  • adam125adam125 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if I got a good deal on my honda accord 2013 CVT sport
    I live in Philadelphia with 8% tax and approx 200 titles
    Car price : 21750
    OTD price: 23750

Also how much smoother of a ride is the camrys?
    edited January 2013
    Computer chip controlling the steering of my car !!! Not willing to accept that was the main reason why I drove 550 miles (one-way) to a remote dealer to get the last 2012 Accord in Eastern Canada (2012 has the old hydraulic steering system, without electronics). It's manual transmission by the way. So no computer chip controlling my transmission neither.

No computer chips for me, thank you.
  • akdudeakdude Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar situation with my 2013 Accord Sport with my case being documented and told to see the dealer and the dealer saying to see the regional manager for Honda at the dealership when he visits one day every 2-3 months. I have owned 9 Accords starting in 1983 and this is the first time I have had to address what I believe to be extremely poor assembly. 1/4 inch body panel gaps are the norm and the right exhaust outlet is 1/4 inch lower than the left. I got tired of waiting for Honda for an explanation or a fix and used the JustAsk web sight and asked a Honda Tech about the exhaust and he said it cannot be adjusted and the only fix is to replace the whole right hand side of the exhaust because it is a factory defect and he has seen it on some other 2013 Accords as well. I'm scheduled to see the regional manager in February four months after my case was documented with American Honda in Torence CA. I really like this Accord Mechanically and performance wise but we will see if they really stand behind their products.
  • bcostinbcostin Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    My iPhone 5 synced up very nicely with my new Accord...phone, music, Pandora all working beautifully on bluetooth connection without any hassle with settings . Unfortunately, I cannot get the text message function to work. Does anyone know if there is a fix available?
  • ronbroredronbrored Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any new updates on this VERY REAL problem that exists on many of the 2013 Accords? (as of mid Jan)
    This only occurs at very low rpms for me. Mostly when pulling out of my garage at almost idle engine rpms. Even then, it's only minor.

There's a thread on this issue at the Drive Accord forums:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78909
  • trainingwheelstrainingwheels Member Posts: 7
    I have experienced your problem #5 several times already, during the 200 miles I have driven my new 2013 Accord 4DR EX-L V6 (no Navi). It happens intermittently. The audio sound quality will be extremely bad, screechy and so distorted that speech cannot be understood. Changing stations within the same source, or changing between sources (XM, FM, AM, CD), or turning audio off and back on does not fix the problem. Then after turning the car off and restarting it, the audio will return to normal sound quality, as you said. At first I thought it might be related to cold weather, but it happened again today at 45 F.
  • tommy101tommy101 Member Posts: 1
    In regards to the 2013 Accord sport, purchased several months ago.

1. Hood vibration on the freeway, never had a hood vibrate before on any car.

2. Live in California so weather is not an issue, in the morning my first attempt to start the car. It will not turn over with first attempt. Second time it turns over. Very disappointing NEW CAR?

3. Noticeable vibration/hesitation when I reach 20-30 mph.

4. At a stop light, the steering wheel tends to rotate when i accelerate.
  • angileriangileri Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Accord Sport and notice the same thing with my radio, the reception really stinks, even with stations that are in the same city I am driving in have lots of static.

I wonder if this is because of no external antenna?

Also my Sport does not have XM radio, is this an upgrade or was it supposed to be offered on all models of the Accord? Does it just need to be activated?
    UPDATE from quality4us:

I brought my Accord V6 into my local Honda service center to address the 5 problems I identified in my first post (#86). The Honda service personnel were VERY interested and attentive! Here is the status of the five items:

1. The head technician wanted to drive with me to see if we could reproduce the engine vibration at about 1700 rpm. After a short drive, we both felt the vibration. He reported later that they replicated the vibration in the shop and noted that it only occurs when the engine is in 3-cylinder mode. This appears to be a fuel economy feature found only in the V6. As I understand it, you will experience it more in ECON mode but also at times in Drive (w/ no ECON). The technician then drove two other brand new V6 Accords from their lot and noticed the exact same vibration, which means the problem is NOT isolated to my vehicle. The service center contacted American Honda and was told that they have no indication that this is abnormal behavior. My interpretation of this is that the problem has not been sufficiently reported to Honda to warrant a technical fix. My dealer indicated that they will monitor Honda technical bulletins and report any other customer complaints. Bottom line: this is a real technical issue that will take awhile to surface and for Honda to take action for a technical fix. I cannot imagine that this highly engineered car was designed to have this vibration.

2. The vibration at highway speeds may be linked to the problem discussed above. We put this on hold and I agreed to conduct more highway trips to better describe the conditions.

3. The image from the side-mounted camera that did not switch off was due to user error! There is a button on the end of the turn signal that, if pushed, will keep the image on. I apparently pushed this button. However, I will monitor this situation to be sure.

4. and 5. My Honda service center report that American Honda IS AWARE of the audio issues (screeching, tinny sounds, static, etc.) and will soon issue a software fix, perhaps later this month.

A few observations:

It is good to know that there are Honda service centers that care enough to diagnose a problem and be persistent to get an answer from American Honda.

Honda does seem to be responding to some of the complaints that have come in and appear willing to make fixes, at least to the audio issue.

Customers must insist that problems they encounter, however minor, are diagnosed, reported, and addressed. I documented the problems I found and submitted a certified letter to American Honda as required under the Maryland Lemon Law. This was not an irate letter -- just a straightforward documentation of my issues. By doing so, I have started a process that gives me certain rights (i.e., refund for my purchase) if Honda is unable to fix the problem after a certain number of attempts.

I would be interested to hear from others about their experience with these problems.
    Funny !

It's obvious you never played with cars when you were a kid. If you remove a spark plug cable from any cylinder, of any engine, it starts vibrating. When I disconnected two spark plugs on a 4 cylinder engine (30 years ago) it started vibrating so badly that I thought it would break my engine mounts !

Any engine is weight balanced by design when all its cylinders fire. Example: Stand up and move both your hands up and down at the same time. Your body doesn't move. Now think one hand is disabled (by some useless computer software) and then move up and down the remaining hand only. Your body will shake all the time.

This is what you bought ! VCM means Variable Cylinder Management. It disables some cylinders at some times. You buy computers, and then you complain because they act ?? Obviously it pisses you off. That's why you worked so hard to earn the money to buy that new car. To get computers to piss you off.

Memo: next time buy a 4 cylinder. There is no software to disable cylinders on that one. If you buy a manual transmission too, you get no software to change your gears. I just bought a 2012 4 cyl manual. It's smooth like silk. A dream to drive. My fourth 4 cyl manual Accord. The first one was a 1979 Accord coupe. I drove that one till the paint peeled off. Then I had a 1994, and a 2001.

H.O.N.D.A. means: Happy Owner Never Drives Anything else. Just take care what you buy. They started offering lots of electronic crap. The market begs for it, so they have to offer it.
  • trainingwheelstrainingwheels Member Posts: 7
    I have also experienced the hesitation/vibration at about 1700 rpm (your item #1) on my 2013 Accord 4DR EX-L V6 (no NAVI). Thank you for posting such clear, factual descriptions of your issues.
  • frogeefrogee Member Posts: 5
    I have also noticed a strange vibration/clatter on my V-6 Accord. Buying a 4 is not the answer, if you want the power and smoothness generally associated with a six. I realize that manufacturers are desperate to get fuel economy numbers up, but they should not be so aggressive that drivability suffers. I had planned to bring this to the attention of my dealer and am encouraged by the experience of the original poster.
    I wonder if you recently drove a 4 cylinder Accord. Its power and smoothness are incredible. Obviously if you want to shred the asphalt, a V6 is better. But really you can't talk about V6 smoothness when some cylinders are disabled, so the engine becomes asymmetric. It's like a bird flying with one wing only.

It would be really entertaining to be able to see the engine block running on half cylinders, under load. I am sure it vibrates like crazy. But you can't see it. When you stop and open the hood, it always fires all 6 cylinders. Allowing the customers to see the 3 cylinder operation would be a marketing disaster.
  • davee4davee4 Member Posts: 2
    I also have the same issue with V6 engine vibration as you described. In fact, my experience was identical to yours. I brought the vehicle in to the dealer, they noticed the issue on a test drive and contacted Honda to determine if there were issues. According to them this was not abnormal.

Like you, I am concerned that this vibration should not occur and could eventually lead to problems with the engine. Although not described by you, at highway speeds the issues is not evident. If this is the case, my thought was that an eventual software revision to minimize 3 cylinder operation below say 50 MPH would help. I would be curious to see how this would impact MPG.

I will continue to pursue this with the dealer until resolved.

One final note, aside from this issue, there are absolutely no other problems with the vehicle.
    Here is a quick update.

I was contacted by American Honda this past week in response to my letter documenting the vibration @ about 1700-1800 rpm. I recounted my experience at my local service center in which the technicians confirmed the vibration and noted that it was associated with the VCM (variable cylinder management) system.

The customer service representative reiterated that Honda has not reported this as a problem with the vehicle. I asked if any other customers have reported this vibration and he said he did not know. Of course, he is a customer service rep and not necessarily knowledgeable about the technical information or may not have access to customer complaints. I asked if Honda maintains a data base of this information and he just repeated that Honda has not reported this as a problem. (Not much help but understandable.)

I mentioned that I did not consider that my vibration problem had been properly recognized or resolved by Honda and that I intend to send another letter by certified mail to document this situation (as required by MD Lemon Law).

I agree with other posts that this is probably an issue of poor design and engineering to have three-cylinder engine operation -- an inherently unbalanced and unstable situation-- as a fuel economy measure.

This is my first automatic transmission car in which I am the primary driver. I would have purchased a manual transmission V6 w/ leather had it been offered but it wasn't. However, my other automatic transmission cars (e.g., Subaru Outback V6, 10 years old w/ 160,000 miles) do not have this type of vibration. Had I observed the vibration in the Honda Accord during my test drive, I would have purchased a different vehicle. (I find it awfully hard to assess every driving feature and make a judgment on a 10+ year purchase based on 15 minutes of test drive.)

Honda is probably in a tough spot. They implement the VCM to claim the high MPG numbers and have probably done what they can with the engine mounts and other methods to minimize vibration. It seems that they could fix the problem but it would be at the expense of the EPA-reported MPG. It will be interesting to see it their engineers (and management) can devise a solution.

My approach at this time, and my suggestion to others, is to politely insist that this vibration is not acceptable as normal operation for a vehicle, especially one of this caliber. I will continue to pursue my concern, not as a crusade, but as a reasonable customer expectation for a $30,000+ purchase.