Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    yachtbkryachtbkr Member Posts: 1
    I cant speak to the 2008 but I can tell you that the nav system in the 2007 SUV Hybrid Lrtd edition with every conciveable option, the nav system which is supposed to be the same lexus, isnt, its not user friendly (in my opinion )and is far from being reliable with missing data. It does look nice however, you would be much better off in my view with a nuvi. which is what we ended up with. . if you are looking at the hybrid, and dont need the cargo room of the highlander, the lexus suv hybrid is a much better car. & worth every penny in difference in quality of the car. We needed the cargo difference for business reasons. i will also say, owning a lexus GS 430 currently (2nd car )and have owned several over the years, that the lexus dealers we have been using have bent over backwards to be everything you would expect,( JM Lexus in pompano beach ) I cant say the same about the toyota dealer in west palm area, we bought from. They tried to sell us as new, a car that had been sold before (according to carfax) it also had a mysterious 300 miles on it, I also saw in the PB post this AM that there was a class action lawsuit against Stuart toyota for alledgedly ripping off old people. check out dealers at
    ripoffreport.com you might find out something that you didnt know.
  • Options
    ty5240ty5240 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, did that but would not here that.
    Boch. I am going to go to other Toyota dealers.

Have to say I was very surprised being treated like this!
    Too bad since we bought our other two Toyota's from them.
    Now a days I guess that does not matter to them for Loyalty
    of thier customers!

I also thought that Toyota's hold there Value more that any other
    car maker, am I wrong....

I am also at this point going to wait for specials that I am sure that
    will be coming up.

Also we were looking at the Highlander Limited which I really love the
    drive and the comfort. Does anyone here have the Highlander Hybrid.
    If so what do you feel about it..

thanks
    ty5240
  • Options
    hymoghymog Member Posts: 3
    Thanks very much for this. I just purchased a Highlander extended warranty from Midwest Superstores for $2000 less (!!) than what my local Toyota dealership quoted me. It was a no hassle straightforward transaction. Just google them, call them, and ask for the Financing Manager.
  • Options
    08fe08fe Member Posts: 9
    what was your price and for how long - the 7/70 or 10/100?
  • Options
    microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    Purchased an '08 Limited 2-wheel drive with Nav at City Toyota in Daly City and we were really happy with the experience. Worked with the Internet/Fleet manager who was hard working, professional and straight shooting. No pressure to buy products we didn't want. Got about $3500 off MSRP which is a good deal in these parts.
  • Options
    martinsmmartinsm Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I live in Colorado Springs and am trying to buy a 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited with NAV and DVD among other options like side steps, body-side moldings, etc. The dealers in town are telling me this vehicle is so hot they are selling it 1K over MSRP only. Additionally, they are saying Toyota is not manufacturing the Hybrids with NAV, DVD and sun roof... I am trying to figure out what is true in all of the crap they are saying. Is it realistic to think I can get a hybrid with all options I want at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    apaoneapaone Member Posts: 18
    That seems like a pretty large difference between Invoice and MSRP. In pricing on kbb, most Ltds with DVD and NAV are invoivced at upper $36k and MSRP at upper $41k. Are your numbers correct? I am also in Boston area looking for a similiar model, which dealer was that from?
  • Options
    plamarineplamarine Member Posts: 11
    Try Herb Chambers in Auburn..got a Sport AWD with a few options for invoice. I also tried Tri State Toyota where I have bought three other Toyotas, but this time I decided to look elsewhere and was shocked by the much better deal I was offered at Herb Chambers.
  • Options
    itzchowitzchow Member Posts: 1
    Located in Central Pa, my parents is looking to buy a Toyota Highlander Sport 4WD. We went to Bobby Rahal, and they quoted us 33471, the salesman said that he would not budge from this price. He even say its $1000 over "their" invoice and even showed me the price on their computer database.

Initially, they were interested in a base Highlander 4wd. We went to a this dealer and at first they quoted 29,xxx. After researching for a night, I had an idea of what to ask for. I asked for their invoice and it showed $28177 with options. The sales manager threw out28,500, 28,600 but we refused. Eventually, it went down to 28,000. I thought initially, WTH, its 177$ under their invoice until I read up on "Dealer holdback", "TDA", and "Whsl. Financial Reserve". My question is when people says a good price is (invoice + $500), is it the $28177 that they give you? Or is it their (invoice - dealer holdback). What about Wholesale Financial Reserve, is it just another scam for their profit? Any input is greatly appreciate because we HAVE to buy it tomorrow and I want to get the best price for my parents( they don't understand english very well). Thanks

EDIT: I've been reading alot tonight about "dealer holdback". If they get the money back from the manufactured AND is STILL charging us, wouldn't they make double? IE Dealer holdback on my invoice was $575. So they would be making $1150 on that alone?
  • Options
    kc7777kc7777 Member Posts: 1
    Just out of curiosity. For all the owners of this trim, what was your waiting period before you finally got your car? We have been waiting to get ours since the end of July and yet to get one? The car dealer we're dealing couldn't get the car for whatever reason. Any idea why there was such long wait? The only option we picked could potentially delay the car was the color of our choice. It was that "Blizzard Pearl" special paint my wife loved. But, I couldn't image that special paint would take over three months to get done. We are kind of frustrated at this point and almost at a point to look for another car. Even the car dealer told we could opt out because he just couldn't get it.
  • Options
    hiltdguyhiltdguy Member Posts: 7
    Signed a contract sept 27, 2007. I bought a highlander 08 limited for 40,975 TTL and optios, accessories included, I was told that delivery date will be 6-8 weeks from date of purchase. My highlander will include Navigation, dvd rear entertainment, body side moldign, remote starter, cargo mats, exhaust valor tip. This is add on to the highlander 4wd limited. Here's my dilemma, as of today, 12-3-07, I still don't have the promised vehicle, its passed the 8th week mark. I contacted this agent form the dealership, he said they missed their allocation again for the 4th time, this is one of the excuses(i think) he's throwing my way whenever I call him up and ask for the status of the vehicle. Another is that he will work on trading with other dealership, and even said if that doesnt work he'll even work for a 3-way trade with a local dealership that they dont have a good relationship with,and told me that dont tell anybody in their dealership that he told me that secret. I'm beginning to be fed up with these "excuses" and false promises that he can deliver. I lost my chance on two other offers with other dealership that had that exact suv in their lot for a $1000+ less because I already signed a contract with this dealership that i trusted.
    Two days ago, i called him up again, he said its really not looking great and still he couldnt find anyhting out there, and that the dealer trade isnt working out. So he said he's willing to let me off the contract and find another dealership. I've been waiting for more tahn two mos. now and now he's just bailing out on me. What do I do now? Somebody enlighten me please.
  • Options
    lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    I don't see why you need to stick with a dealer who can't keep his promise. Get your car from someone else.
  • Options
    If he is giving you an out, take it. This way you can buy somewhere else if one pops up. Also, you still can buy from him if the model ever surfaces at his dealership.
  • Options
    That's what I did apaone, I told him i'm gonna back out and then started to ask around other dealership, so right now i have options on other dealership trying to find me this car, and still have the original agent waiting on my unit to come along.
  • Options
    ekkiekki Member Posts: 4
    I too was looking for a Limited with Nav MINUS rear entertainment. 5 dealers basically said tough luck, and almost convinced me it was a package deal ...period. However, my last attempt was through a dealer in Saratoga, NY who explained it is fairly easy to order a vehicle without the rear entertainment. Many dealers aren't willing to do this because the salesman would actually have to apply themselves. The wait would be 3-6 weeks.

If you don't want it, you don't have to get it. Good luck!!
  • Options
    skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    The issues presented in the last several posts are exactly why I may abandon shopping for the Highlander and move on to something else. Toyota has made the option packages far too confusing which makes not only pricing difficult but, even more so, locating the vehicle you want. The dealers tell you that Toyota is making and shipping the styles that people want but this is clearly not the case. For example, I went to 2 dealers, neither of which had in stock, or coming in withing the next several weeks, a Limited that didn't have both Nav and DVD. They said people buying the Limited want the Nav and DVD. And then try getting the exterior and interior color combo you want! Ridiculous! Honda does a much, much, much better job by limiting/simplifying options. If you can wait for the new Pilot to come out early to mid 2008 that is probably the better bet, and it will probably be a better vehicle based on the current MDX platform. That's what I may do. My two cents!
  • Options
    mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    I certainly understand everyone's frustration. If we're all laying out close to 40K for a vehicle, it had damn sure better be equipped EXACTLY like we want it.

However, I will say that between Schaumburg Toyota in Schaumburg, IL and Pauly Toyota in Crystal Lake, IL there always seem to be a half-dozen or so Highlanders Limited WITH Nav and W/O DVD pretty much all the time...which begs another question - why won't they deal more ?
  • Options
    jaberjaber Member Posts: 10
    I had the exact same experience so I bought it out of state and had is shipped to me. I bought it from Toyota West in Ohio. Dean was the salesman's name. Limited 4x4 with Nav, DVD etc etc.
  • Options
    jaber, how much of a deal did you get including TTL. I'm from WI and leaning to get the car from a dealer out of state if they can deliver asap and loaded with the options that i wanted, dvd,nav limited black
  • Options
    I got it for 38,995 (without TTL) for 4wd, limited, navi, dvd, auto rear hatch, rear ac, back spoiler, mats, and I think that was it. I was happy with it, as it sounds like they are in short supply. I have had dealers try to sell me portable navis, but dont't do it. The integrated navi is really sweet.
  • Options
    bayouguybayouguy Member Posts: 12
    He should have never told you 8 weeks. I was told 12 to 14 weeks to get mine. Loaded AWD Limited with the Towing Package. I probably won't see mine till March. If another Dealership had the exact one you wanted, he should have easily been able to get it from them. Something doesn't sound right. Before you back out, make sure you can get the one you want somewhere else. If not, you might be starting all over again from scratch. One thing about it, I feel the 2008 Highlander is worth waiting for! ;)
  • Options
    my highlander was 41108 including TTL, 4wd, in dash nav, power rear door spoiler,, mats, remote starter, rear ac. the side molding was included originally but my dealer said toyota don't include them anymore. this price includes the rear dvd entertainemnt also, but since it's so freaking hard to get this package, i poted to have an aftermarket install 10 inch dvd which will be done through a dealer affiliated party so warranties on the car won't be affected. the dealer promised(again) that with in 2 weeks the car will be here. Originally I won't settle for an aftermarket installation of the dvd, partly because there is no auxillary jacks in the third row seats, so if the kids play their gaming console the wires will have to dangle from the dvd down to the rear seats. but i'm so tired of waiting, i just wanna have my highlander asap.
  • Options
    i feel the same way too, that's why i'm sticking with the highlander, eventhough my thoughts are with the mdx too.regarding on "backing out" i have the best of both worlds now, old dealer is still looking for that car, 'coz i didnt backed out yet, then i have other dealers looking to please me and trying hard to earn my business. by loooking for the car with options, eventhough i'm not even in contract with 'em yet.
  • Options
    2inc2inc Member Posts: 4
    Base model with 3th row seat. I had a quote for $26,400.00 OTD at Longo in El Monte, CA. Tax rate is 8.25%
  • Options
    I forgot I have heated seats and the tow prep package too, so add those on the items below for that price.

I got it for 38,995 (without TTL) for 4wd, limited, navi, dvd, auto rear hatch, rear ac, back spoiler, mats, and I think that was it. I was happy with it, as it sounds like they are in short supply. I have had dealers try to sell me portable navis, but dont't do it. The integrated navi is really sweet.
  • Options
    does anyone know how to make the radio screen stay on, on the NAvi, as it always goes to the Map screen after a minute or so.
  • Options
    brain2brain2 Member Posts: 6
    City Toyota (Daly City, ca)
    $37k (excl. tax and lic)

no DVD but pretty much everything else

heated seats
    running boards
    toyota nav
    4wd
    snrf
    pwr hatch
    keyless entry
    mats
    rear spoiler
    Tow pkg
    9 spkr stereo
    mag grey

Was hoping for better mileage but overall liking the car after 350miles
  • Options
    brianm4brianm4 Member Posts: 33
    I am looking at purchasing a similar HL (except in 2WD).
    Would you mind sharing the MSRP and TMV if you have it.
  • Options
    tywebb3tywebb3 Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at a 2008 Highlander Limited, AWD, Magnetic Grey with the following options:

EJ: JBL Radio
    FE: 50 State Emissions
    QR: CFC free rear auto climate
    RF: Rear spoiler
    HD: Heated seats
    SR: Sunroof
    TO: Tow package
    3T: Roof rails
    WL: Wheel locks
    DK: ?????? (not sure...code given to me by dealership)

MSRP: $38,470.00
    Invoice: $33,903.00 (w/o DK option)
    Dealer Price: $35,017.00 (first offer by dealer...does not include tax, tags, or pf)

Basically this is an AWD limited without NAV and DVD. When I asked how much they could improve on the price the response was they would look at it but the pricing given out by the internet department is very aggressive. I was initially set at offering $34,000.00 for the vehicle with little flexibility but do you think that is too aggressive on my part? I still have a few months until I absolutely need the bigger vehicle so I figured I would go aggressive and see if I could get a "deal" at the end of the year. What do you think?
  • Options
    My Highlander is on its way. Santa hopes to have everything wrapped up be christmas.
    Dealer has mine coming out of Okaohma. Mine will be the first limited with the towing packgae,
    awd and th navigation system Around :D these parrts
  • Options
    Mine was a loaded AWD Limited with Nav. and the towing package for $39,700. (MSRP $41,794.00) (TS,SF,XM,CT,DG,R1,QR,NV,PB,HD,SR, RF) A good rule of thumb is to take the MSRP and subtract $2,000. and be ready to walk away if they don't take it. You can get a few hundred more off on the Base and Sport Models. I negotiated with three different Dealerships over 150 mile area for about 6 weeks. I walked away three different times, the last time saved me $400. The new Highlanders are too Hot right now to get a real good deal. They are selling like Hot Cakes. About $1800 to $2000 off of sticker is the best you can get on a loaded Limited. Alot of people are paying $1000. off of sticker and never blinking an eye. Good Luck! ;)
    PS.
    If they can't locate the one you want with all of your options, be ready to wait about 12 weeks to order one. I lucked out, I live in Louisiana, but they found mine in Oklahoma.
  • Options
    Hey man! I'm getting mine too, tuesday next week. My dealer called me up friday 12-7 that it has finally arrived. Fully Loaded 4X4 limited BLACK. final price$ 40965 including TTL. By the way I settled for the after market install of the rear DVD system, the 9 inch screen got upgraded to 10in. actually it's being installed right now over at AMS as I'm writing this. I've settled for this, beacause it's just do darn hard to get this trim and all the specifications that I wanted(9 wks of waiting). I can't wait to get the car on tuesday and enjoy my new ride.
  • Options
    vt256vt256 Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking for Limted with Nav minus DVD as well. Do you mind sharing the offer they gave you?
  • Options
    two pieces of advice i received before buying my highlander that were very helpful:

1. Call the "internet sales dept" of your local dealer. Mine quoted within $50 of the cars direct instant web quote (coincidence?) and were very low pressure. No sales pitch no nonsense...conversation all based on fact. Everything negotiated over phone. Actual car purchase took 30 minutes of paperwork and no additional sales pitches or last minute surprises.

2. Try Cars direct: They had very competitive pricing, low pressure sales people and they deliver to your door for "free". I would have bought from them but the dealer nearby had the car I wanted in stock for the same price.
  • Options
    Brianm4
    todays MSRP from cars direct is $42,147 (though it might change over time..looks like the price quote did)

don't know the TMV but should be easy to figure out with the options i listed (forgot to include rear auto AC)
  • Options
    oops..actually MSRP=$41,618. Don't have remote engine start (just keyless entry and engine start)
  • Options
    vt256vt256 Member Posts: 11
    thanks brain2 for advice. already got quotes from Cars Direct for Limited w/ Nav minus DVD in PA though. They couldn't help with delivery. Prices with this config in PA was more than fully loaded Lim in NJ so does not make sense.

what's the best price out there for Lim w/ Nav minus DVD? (read 39K somewhere)?
  • Options
    You should be able to do better than $39k for Ltd with Nav minus DVD. In MA a dealer's first offer to me for a Ltd with both NAV and DVD was for $38k. The configuration you are looking for is not available in MA (unfortunately b/c that is my preferred package), but depending upon the options I would think you could get it for around $37k.
  • Options
    $97 over invoice for a Ltd will probably not even get you a call back from the dealership. If you get it for this price, congrats. If not, a more realistic aggressive price is probably around $500 over invoice. Good luck.
  • Options
    Bought mine just before thanksgiving for $37,000.00 (not incl tax & lic.)

Original dealer offer (through internet sales dept) was $37,200.00
  • Options
    bobecbobec Member Posts: 1
    I am looking in the Washington DC area for a Limited 4X2. Would you mind sharing any positive/negative experiences with dealerships in the area and which dealership gave you the financing deal?
  • Options
    mwest75mwest75 Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I are just beginning our process of investigating our new vehicle so we're checking on several different ones. An interesting note that I'm rather displeased with is this $750 Admin fee. Is this something that is commonly waived if I push hard?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    porboyrichgirlporboyrichgirl Member Posts: 1
    Here you go: press info button, touch "screen setting", select "OFF" for the first item (automatic transition from audio to navigation, etc.) and you're all set.

A Salesman at Naperville Toyota, Naperville, IL
  • Options
    nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    "My wife and I are just beginning our process of investigating our new vehicle so we're checking on several different ones. An interesting note that I'm rather displeased with is this $750 Admin fee. Is this something that is commonly waived if I push hard? "

the set admin fee (southeast toyota) cannot be waived. it is charged only to the dealer invoice, so its takes 750 away from the dealer, but doesn't add to the sticker. from the sounds of things, you can't get these at invoice anyway so you shouldn't worry too much about it.
  • Options
    "Is it realistic to think I can get a hybrid with all options I want at a reasonable price? "

the market place is what determines price, and right now HH are selling at sticker or above cause of the demand. if you don't want to pay that price, the guy behind you will, so there is no reason for the dealers to come of list price (msrp).

right now a reasonable price is stickers, and if the dealer wants more than that, then they are just being greedy. just find one who wont charge over sticker and get your car.
  • Options
    "Initially, they were interested in a base Highlander 4wd. We went to a this dealer and at first they quoted 29,xxx. After researching for a night, I had an idea of what to ask for. I asked for their invoice and it showed $28177 with options. The sales manager threw out28,500, 28,600 but we refused. Eventually, it went down to 28,000. I thought initially, WTH, its 177$ under their invoice until I read up on "Dealer holdback", "TDA", and "Whsl. Financial Reserve". My question is when people says a good price is (invoice + $500), is it the $28177 that they give you? Or is it their (invoice - dealer holdback). What about Wholesale Financial Reserve, is it just another scam for their profit? Any input is greatly appreciate because we HAVE to buy it tomorrow and I want to get the best price for my parents( they don't understand english very well). Thanks

EDIT: I've been reading alot tonight about "dealer holdback". If they get the money back from the manufactured AND is STILL charging us, wouldn't they make double? IE Dealer holdback on my invoice was $575. So they would be making $1150 on that alone? "

first of all, profit is not a dirty 4 letter word. anyone selling something is entitled to try to make profit. holdback comes from the manufacturer to the dealer for selling cars. if the holdback is 575, then the dealer gets 575 when they sell the car (from toyota), but its not double. dealers know what the holdback is on each car, but so what. right now, the 08 highlanders are selling very well, and if dealers are selling them at 1000-2000 above invoice, then that is what they will continue to sell for untill the demand cools off some.
  • Options
    "which begs another question - why won't they deal more ? "

b/c the cars are hard to find, and they want to make as much as they can right now. kinda like when the wii came out and people sold them on ebay for 2x what the retail price was. as long as consumers are willing the pay the going price, and demand is higher than supply, the price will stay high. its basic economics.
  • Options
    ekkiekki Member Posts: 4
    I just reserved a Limited with Nav minus DVD for $500.00 over invoice. I didn't try to get lower than $500.

FYI:There is an option Toyota offers for $1295 (or upgraded to $1595) for a rear DVD player that is mounted within each headrest. This price includes 2 wireless headphones. I was very happy knowing this is an option for the future. Toyota can order and install within 5 days of request.

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    tupelotupelo Member Posts: 4
    Congrats!

Just started the hunt myself for a Limited w/o DVD.

Was this $500 over Edmunds listed invoice, or the dealer's invoice (as far as I can tell, the dealer invoice often includes advertising fee's, DFA's, gas etc which bump it up another $500-750).

Cheers
  • Options
    scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    I had posted about a month ago how I had purchased a highlander after requesting quotes online through Toyota Websites. Brief history. I was given a price & excepted their offer and put down my credit card # to hold it. The car was shipped in & they installed an aftermarket DVD player & said the car was ready to pick up. I was then called & basically told the price on the car went up $3,000 because of their mistake. I just got finished w/the BBB process, and in my opinion it was a waste of time. They basically took feedback from both sides and just closed the complaint w/out making a decision or recommending a solution.
    The final statement the dealer said this..."We have tried to resolve this issue with Mr. ...... with concessions on Price and stated all the facts honestly. We are sorry that Mr. ........ still feels he was harmed in some way that would justify his demands. Unfortunately some people feel that an honest mistake by someone should be capitalized on. Mr. ....... did say he knew the price was a mistake to XXXX and XXXXX. We withdraw our offer to sell Mr. ........ a vehicle at any price and prefer not to do any business with him. I believe our conversations with Mr. ........ have all been clearly stated and I can not add any more to this.
    We never entered into a contract of any kind with Mr. ........and never deposited any money towards a vehicle purchase for Mr. ........
    "

So BEWARE if you deal with these sellers. Most transactions I'm sure go smooth. I had most of our negotiating done via emails and had put the credit card down & it still was something the dealer could back out of. They offered a few hundred off the high price and expected me to lunge at the new offer. "My Demands" were to just get the car at the price we had agreed to. They are making false claims that I admitted to them that I knew they made a mistake. I hope some of you learn from my situation.

On a side note, the dealership is Lakeland Toyota in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

I'm now thinking of waiting for the 2009 Pilot to come out....

Thanks!