Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    icey1383icey1383 Member Posts: 3
    Well, we did it. We purchased a 2009 Limited 4X2. The MSRP was actually $42056. We paid $37000 OTD. Even though it is a demo car it is absolutely besutiful and flawless.
  • Options
    whoopie3whoopie3 Member Posts: 1
    One day after yet another Toyota recall, we are looking for a 2010 Highlander Limited 4 V64WD with a package 7 and auto trunk. We are in the Boston area and would like a dealer with less scams than the one we shopped last night. We would like to pay invoice, but were amazed by the "dealer holdbacks" on the invoice presented to us. They were over $1000. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    hyperchord24hyperchord24 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought the base model, 4 wheel drive (or is the term all wheel drive) with package #2, cold weather package, Carpet/cargo mat and body side moulding for a total of $1079.00. MSRP with destination was $31079.

I paid OTD $27506.82 with a trade in (2002 Honda Civic, they valued at $3500). The total "credit" with my trade was $5700. It's very confusing with the trade-in involved.

I based my original offer (which they did not take) from the invoice price found on this website, but when I mentioned I knew what the invoice price was, he showed me the details of the car on a print-out which showed a different invoice price. This was presumably due to the fact that it had all the extras. It was relatively the same as the invoice for this trim level plus the extras plus $200. Should I have trusted their invoice price? Did I get a good deal?

I bought the car from a family friend salesman. He said he'd get a good deal for me. His first offer was the same as every other dealer I've gone to. I was very disappointed and negotiation was tough.
  • Options
    dorenescardorenescar Member Posts: 28
    For anyone looking at the Hybrid Highlander Limited, just bought completely loaded 4x4 except for DVD for $200 over invoice (would have been invoice but wanted the iced amethyst color; only one in the state). We paid 42,400 plus tax. We live in Northern CA, silicon valley, where prices are often inflated. Very happy with our deal!! :shades:
  • Options
    steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
    Because of the recall, I thought they were NOT suppossed to be selling / delivering any 2010 Highlanders?

Or did they replace the pedal mechanism on yours before you bought it?
  • Options
    beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    Could be it's a 2010 Japanese-made Highlander. I bought a Limited in January that was made in 11/09 and shipped to NJ. I got it with 3 miles on it. VIN begins with J.

John
  • Options
    GOOD POINT - I heard there were some of those around.

Do you know why they would be bringing in 2010 Highlanders from Japan with the manufacturing moved to Indiana?

Unfortunately my Limited was built in Indiana & IS included in the recall (both of them - gas pedal & floor mat). But there is so much space between the bottom of the pedal & the floor mat, I don't see how the floor mat recall included the Highlander. Plus, the driver's side floor mat is secured by two (2) hooks - so that floor mat isn't going anywhere.
  • Options
    Why are/were they still making them in Japan? I have no idea, it surprised the heck out of me.

Since I had both, I stacked the factory carpeted mats and the Toyota black rubber mats in my '06 Avalon and the pedal still had lots of clearance left. I've been 46,000 miles without a problem and can't see why I should, and the mat hooks to the floor.

The regular WeatherTech mat hooks to the floor in my Limited.

John
  • Options
    mfanfamfanfa Member Posts: 2
    Hello whoopie3. I'm not sure what Toyota dealership you shopped in the Boston area since there are several to chose from. I actually work for Toyota of Dartmouth and would love to answer any questions that you may have about purchasing a Toyota. One thing to absolutely keep in mind is that the media is absolutely eating this up and doing what they can do knock Japanese makes but a few things to keep in mind is that Toyota is doing everything in its power to assure customer safety and fix the problem (a recall or two is still better then some seven or eight domestic recalls). There are dealer holdbacks but a few things to keep in mind is that money is all accounted for (pretty much); we have to pay for floor plan, advertising, reconditioning of your vehicle etc. with that money that's why these holdbacks weren't reveiled until just recently. It isn't money that the dealership has to play with. Another reason why you won't find many Toyota dealerships who are willing to go below invoice is because when you incentivize a vehicle too much, it greatly affects its resale value in the end. For example, if Toyota was to discount a Camry $5,000 with customer rebates instantly, what urgency does it create for you as a consumer to go out and buy a new Camry when the uses ones will more than likely be $10,000 below that!! Do you see what I mean? I hope you can see our point as a dealership as I can surely understand your's; not only am I an employee but I am also a consumer and need to buy vehicles myself.
  • Options
    mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Nobody begrudges a dealership and/or salesperson for making money. That's why they're in business, after all. Just don't take advantage.....
  • Options
    uthumveeuthumvee Member Posts: 28
    MSRP - 31,270

Options:
    8 way power driver seat
    Manual Rear Air Conditioning
    Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set/3rd row mat
    Cold Weather Package
    Convenience Package
    EVP #2
    Engine immobilizer
    Heated Power Outside Mirrors
    Light Control Package
    Towing Package
    Windshield Wiper De-Icer

I understand may be some duplication of options as they may be included in some of the packages but didn't want to miss anything.

Initial deal is $29,786 + tax. $140 off of truecars.com great price.. Just wondered if Toyota is going to be more willing to deal given all of the negative press.

Deal?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Now this is the way new cars should be sold.

Where were you when I purchased my 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 2 Wheel Drive in 12-09?

Of course, I am no where near Dartmouth, but a local dealer doing this would have been great.

I did do ALL of my shopping by E-Mail - but each dealer did NOT know what the other was quoting me. But, I would not have had any problem with each dealer knowing what the other was quoting.

As you may already know, the general public is just sick & tired of dealing through the sales model currently being used by Dealers. If something doesn't change drastically AND pretty quickly, I forsee that in the future I will be able to buy my vehicle online DIRECTLY from the Manufacturer. Dealers will only be there to prep the vehicle & to service it.
  • Options
    And where will you go to sit in a new car and take it for a test drive if all the dealer will be doing is prepping the cars folks order on line? I know, a virtual test drive. They'll send you a scratch and sniff postcard for that new car smell while you're taking a test drive on line.

John
  • Options
    I didn't say I had already designed a perfect system- But anything would be better than what is currently being used.

Although at dealers' insistence, I did "test drive" (twice) samples of the HL I ended up purchasing - but they were not "exact" duplicates.

A "test drive" is not as important to me as it could be to someone who must fit a baby carseat in it, fit a huge cargo item in it, etc., etc.

In fact, back in the days when I "ordered" every new car I purchased, I obviously did not have a chance to test drive them. Dealers had fewer cars on their lots back then because most people "ordered" the "exact" car they wanted.
  • Options
    Most people in test drove something similar before ordering. I got my license in 1966 and know the routine. I think my dad took me on my first car buying trip when I was 2 or 3.

The heck with cars, what I really liked as a kid was the annual truck company rodeo with the backing contests and silver dollars thrown in the grass for the little kids to collect. My father was a safety officer and organized it once a year. The rest of the time he worked wrecks and stuff in three states. Think of it as a big picnic with semis. He hated leaving the state police, but they doubled his salary in 1950 and stole him away.

Speaking of cars :) he told me once that back when he was a kid in the 20s and 30s that Fords were delivered by rail in crates to Covesville, Virginia (south of Charlottesville) and a garage would assemble the sub-assemblies. I assume they'd deliver them anywhere, Covesville is just a tiny village and back then it was the center of a thriving apple industry. My grandfather and 2 brothers farmed 1500 apple trees back in the mountains.

John
  • Options
    jeffp5jeffp5 Member Posts: 3
    I'm negotiating now for a 2010 SE. Two dealers have quoted me $213.95 for Pennsylvania title, tags and registration. Seems a bit high, compared with some of the DMV material I've read, but it was curious they were both identical...

Does anyone have any experience with this??

Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes, I think that is too high.
    In fact in some if not most states, the dealer actually collects what is called "vendors' compensation" for paying the sales taxes.

If the DMV is reasonably accessible to you, you can go there & pay the sales taxes, title, & license fee yourself. That would save you the $ 213.95
    Actually, it would save you even more than that because "you" would receive that same "vendors' compensation".

Even if it would take you a couple of hours to do that (which I seriously doubt), that would be like paying you $ 100.00 per hour to do it yourself.
  • Options
    jeffp5jeffp5 Member Posts: 3
    Interesting thought - I'm all for saving some dough. Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    cbusireddycbusireddy Member Posts: 33
    Requested Model: 2010 Toyota Highlander AWD V6 Base

$28,856..................Internet Price Quote

Package(s):
    P CT Carpet/Cargo Mat - 3 Row Seating
    Accessories:
    F DJ AM/FM 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer
    F EH Cold Weather Package Includes:
    F FE 50 State Emissions
    F PE Fabric-Trimmed Power Multi-Adjustable
    F QB Highlander Extra Value Package #2
    F TO V6 Towing Prep Package
    P DK Preferred Owner's Portfolio

Please let me know if it is a good price. Appreciate your replies?
  • Options
    mfanfamfanfa Member Posts: 2
    That's an extremely aggressive price, definitely below invoice!!
  • Options
    01accordlx01accordlx Member Posts: 14
    Wondering if this is too good to be true.... '06 Highlander Hybrid Limited AWD, 45,000 miles, private seller looking for $16,800. Classified ad says it was garaged, highway miles, one owner. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
  • Options
    89fj6289fj62 Member Posts: 20
    I bought my new 2009 Highlander Hybrid base model for $37,512 plus PA tax and registrations. The HH came with almost all options it's MSRP was 40,140. I bought this from an internet salesman who sent me detailed information with options and the price .I got 4,500 for my cash for clunkers trade in. I also received a $1,000 rebate from Toyota for purchasing a HH. $100 trade in allowance and almost $500 from parts I sold before I traded in my cash for clunkers vehicle. I bought this HH from Kenny Ross Toyota , Moon Twp in PA.. I was very pleased with the buying process. I did not have to play any games. I did pay full invoice for the Toyota towing hitch but no additional fees for installing the hitch. It is a long process installing the wiring harness but it is worth buying Toyota. Trailer lights are bright not like generic wiring harness
  • Options
    I don't think this is a crazy deal since a new base hybrid goes for 32.5K. This vehicle is 4 years old. So they are selling for 50% of the price.
  • Options
    uthumveeuthumvee Member Posts: 28
    Jumped up to looking at the Sport model. Like the wheels and other acc. muc better.

Sticker - $38,097
    Leather Seat Package - $1,840
    Power Rear Door Jam Protector - $400
    Anti Theft Alarm and Immb - $220
    Package #5 - $2,215
    Power Moon Roof - $850
    Towing Prep - $220
    Carpeted Floor Mats/3rd row - $275
    Body Molding - $199
    Cross Bars - $229
    Mudguards - $99

Quote of $34,875.. Good? Keep pushing?

Thanks..
  • Options
    ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    I have a 2004 AWD Highlander in excellent condition. Garaged and highway miles 65,000. Fully loaded and all service records. I am looking to sell private for $12,000. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
  • Options
    paul181paul181 Member Posts: 3
    Hello im in the market for a 2010 highlander limited fwd with extra value #8
    comes in pearl blizzard and has tow package with electric rear door opener
    msrp$ 38,300.00 was quoted $ 34,200 not including tax, lic, doc fees
    is this a good price any body have the same car please let me know what you paid

location san diego california Mossy Toyota
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think 4000$ below MSRP is good.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I am about to purchase Toyota Highlander V6, AWD Base in Metallic Gray.
    MSRP: 31,029
    Offer Price: 28,000
    Please let me know if this is a good deal, I will be paying the deposit tomorrow. Since I was not able to get this color anywhere I will have to wait 30 days to get the car to be shipped. Is this a good idea? Can the dealer take advantage of the wait time and change anything. Appreciate your replies.
  • Options
    amitkamitk Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    yes it looks good.... i got it for same price... with options of rear ac, cargonet , tonneau rails, ,,,, ,,,,,,,, so you'll pay arond 31-32 on the road.....

i got mine 2 M back, silver, about 2000 mies,,,,, and i have no work about to sell it......
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I just read the following article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35394435/ns/business-autos/

glad that I came out of the dealership, actually they let me go initially. I will be waiting 1 more month to see if there are any additional rebates or warranty increase. :)
  • Options
    snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    Any one take advantage of the 0% APR for up to 60 months on the Highlander (except for Hybrid and SE trims)? I did- it's good till Tuesday.
  • Options
    cskalyancskalyan Member Posts: 2
    in Which region this offer is going on?
  • Options
    donkeypuncherdonkeypuncher Member Posts: 3
    Were you able to get this vehicle at Mossy?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,644
    edited February 2010
    We have a strict No Soliciting policy..

Members are not allowed to buy, sell, or arrange deals through our forums..

Some posts have been removed.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stonewall34stonewall34 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for the same vehicle: Pearl White, FWD, Limited, Highlander.
    MSRP $33,220
    Package #8 $3,400
    Spoiler $200
    Towing $220
    Mats $399
    Special Color $220
    Dealer Fee $599
    Delivery $795
    Total MSRP $39,053

Quote was $36,540 plus dealer fee of $599 for a total before TTL of $37,139

Your deal seems much better than mine. I am holding off to see what incentives do next week.

Did you go through with your purchase. If so, did your price change.

Thanks
  • Options
    ceezoorsceezoors Member Posts: 4
    If you are still interested in buying a Highlander, please DO NOT buy one that is a white 2006 Highlander Hybrid. It has a defect with the brake and within the past year, cruise control. Basically, when I would brake, my car would surge/accelerate for 1-2 seconds unexpectedly. This had happened to me over a dozen times. I took it in for diagnostics/check-up twice and they it came back "no codes stored", and basically told me that "my car was safe to drive and that I should drive it". If you want more info on the electronic malfunction , go to ABC's World News Tonight and look at the story on the demonstration of the runaway toyota due to electronic malfunction. When I took it into the dealer, my only option was to trade it in because they would not do anything about my vehicle, claiming that it had nothing to do with the recall. However it did, especially when there are 8 complaints listed on NHTSA's website for 2006 toyota highlander hybrid with the same issue and a couple of wrecks due to the defect. If I were you, I'd wait it out if you are still intent on buying one. Unfortunately for them, I will probably not ever purchase another Toyota due to the lack of concern for their customers' safety and lives.
  • Options
    No i have not yet purchased. I will not buy until they drop the price to $33,800.00
    they dealer was 38,400msrp and they drop to 34,400.00 but i want $ 600.00 more off . they did come back and offer my 34,200.00 but i said i would wait till march and toyota has to run discounts to win back customers . Hold strong
  • Options
    stonewall34stonewall34 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. The quotes that I am getting are not near as good as yours but I have not yet started pushing hard on the negotiations. You are off to a good start. Good luck.
  • Options
    rao5rao5 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2010 Toyota Highlander AWD V6 Base in MA for $28,850.

On-Road $28,850 ---> $26,750 + $1800(Tax) + $300(Doc. fee)

Package(s):
    P CT Carpet/Cargo Mat - 3 Row Seating
    Accessories:
    F EH Cold Weather Package Includes:
    F FE 50 State Emissions
    F PE Fabric-Trimmed Power Multi-Adjustable
    F QB Highlander Extra Value Package #2
  • Options
    Wow!! This is smoking hot deal. Can you please PM me the dealer info cbusireddy@gmail.com. Appreciate your help.
  • Options
    nacenace Member Posts: 45
    good work and congradulations on your buy. if you will please, advise as to what toyota $ incentives were involved. thank you
  • Options
    tsx06tsx06 Member Posts: 11
    rao5, how did you get a V6 Base model with AWD? Please advise. :confuse:
  • Options
    I just purchased a new 2010 Highlander Limited and got in on the first day of the incentives. A 60 month 0 % interest loan and a '2' year free maintenance package from Toyota. The car listed for $41,500 and I was able to purchase it for $36,500. I think the Highlander Limited is still one of the best SUV's on the road and believe I got a great deal with decent incentives. Any feedback would be welcome.
  • Options
    sjl136sjl136 Member Posts: 7
    Are you a returning Toyota customer? I am wondering if the 2yr maintenance is for everyone or only a loyalty incentive.

I signed on Sunday for a 2010 Limited V6 AWD with Nav, power liftgate, etc (QI) for $1,250 below invoice after the $750 cash back and some negotiating. I pulled the trigger before the March incentives thinking it was a pretty good deal and a bird in the hand as they say.
  • Options
    sjl136sjl136 Member Posts: 7
    Oh, and to your question, I think you got a very good deal. Did yours include a cash incentive? There was $750 customer cash on limited models through March 1st, but I am wondering if that is still in place?
  • Options
    sunil_1818sunil_1818 Member Posts: 4
    That is a very nice deal. 2 year free maintenance program is great. Is the maintenance program only for returning customers? Where are you located?
  • Options
    sunil_1818sunil_1818 Member Posts: 4
    Wow. I think this is the best deal I have seen. So you got 2010 Limited V6 AWD with Q1 package for less than 34,500 with the $750 cashback?
  • Options
    This was the Q1 package. Also, I traded in my old Highlander which entitled me to the '2' year free maintenance incentive.
  • Options
    Hello , what state did you purchase?

thanks
  • Options
    espressooespressoo Member Posts: 20
    Do you mind listing all your added options besides the QI EVP8 option. Your listed price of $41.5K for a Limited FWD is rather high unless you had many more options not mentioned. Btw, are you in the SE region? Thanks!