Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Pontiac has said that allocation is based on New Pontiac sales Jan 1, 2002 to Dec 31, 2002. That each dealer will get atleast 1 during the first model year. That there are extra allocations for prime target areas and areas where Pontiac traditionally sells well.
  • dinnerdogdinnerdog Member Posts: 6
    My Subaru Xt also goes 0-60 in 5.3 seconds (check Car and Driver's review), costs less, and is AWD to boot.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You and GTO buyers are a breed apart.

Perhaps they put more emphasis on looks (they don't like SUV-looking vehicles), on that V-8 rumble, and some don't like the driving characteristics of a highly boosted turbo engine. They like low end torque and how that feels.

Cars on paper and cars in real life are very different things, so people should respond to the real life experience if they are shopping wisely, and get what feels and looks good to them---not just by reading 0-60 times.
  • obiwanobiwan Member Posts: 57
    The only way to get a 5.3 second 0-60 in a turbo 4 like that is a 5,000 RPM dump. I guarantee the drivetrain won't hold up to that kind of abuse for very long. Once I get practiced at a 2,000 RPM launch for the GTO's 5.3 sprint, I'll be able to do it all day long and still drive the car home.

That's the difference between the Subaru and the V8 pony/muscle cars.
  • watson448watson448 Member Posts: 1
    No Onstar or Satellite radio as options on this car? What gives!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    how fast does your Xt roll after a sharp curve?
  • fbrusseefbrussee Member Posts: 31
    Sorry, meant to add:

I walked into my dealer, asked what they had coming in, how many were presold. Had six inbound, five presold, four of which had no color preference. Said I'd pay MSRP if he had the color and trans I wanted. They had to change the interior color on their incoming silver one, he took my deposit and gave me my receipt. Whole deal, 15 minutes. Sorry a lot of you are getting the runaround...and sorry dealers, but 18000 is a LOT of cars, and MSRP is the best you're gonna get from all but the most impatient and inexperienced buyers. $3000 markups went away with the Miata ... and there was NEVER a Pontiac built worth a nickel over MSRP. (well, except 20 years later!!!)
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    18,000 is alot of cars. Unless you divide them by 12 months and 2,800 dealers. Or you are one of the hundreds of dealers that will only be getting one. But atleast you should have a little of summer left to enjoy your new GTO.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    "Sorry a lot of you are getting the runaround...and sorry dealers, but 18000 is a LOT of cars..."

Uh, NOT! :) Thats a flat 6.42 cars per dealer
    (working with montana's # of 2800 pontiac dealerships). The allocations, based on the sales volume mentioned here, some will get a few more than six...a lot of dealers less than 6.

fbrussee you got what you wanted at at msrp...I could be wrong...but I don't think that will be the case with a lot of folks who want one these cars. Congrats on your purchase and keep us up to date.

Can anyone shed some light on this...
    I heard each dealership will get at least one...but I also heard from a fellow pontiac nut that in my area where there are 2 pontiac dealers- one is getting 8 and the other is getting none.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    may not be alot. Over on the Mustang board they're talking about 180,000 a year. Even if 25% were V8s (that's probably a low %-age) that's way more than GTOs.

I know they aren't direct competitors but it gives an idea of the potential numbers involved.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

18,000 isn't a lot for an introduction vehicle, as that number is low enough to raise prices for a short while, until the pipeline fills up anyway. But 18,000 is a whole lot for a "collector" car and will drive the price down once eager initial buyers are satisfied, I think.
    Keep in mind that the '05 Mustang will be out soon, with both a coupe and convertible offered, mega-fast, stronger brand following and retro styling. In GT trim, it may outrun the GTO, although the GTO has a usable back seat. That 18K may seem like a lot when we get new cars from Ford and Chrysler's Hemi sedan. Again, don't be too impatient (like me), since I'll be there are rebates and low interest financing on the GTO by 2005.
    "since I'll be there are rebates and low interest financing on the GTO by 2005."

I seriously doubt it. If GM were to offer those incentives on the GTO that would be a result of large inventory/slow sales. At 18k copies a year a large inventory pretty much would say the car is a total dud- which I dont think it is or will be.

Now I agree availability may improve once the novelty wears off, so a better deal could be had.
    Gee, I hope you're right. That would bode well for resale on mine once I get bored with it and something else is my new 'must have'. I sold my first two PT Cruisers for almost exactly what I paid for them, but this third one can't seem to find a new home, and trade in values are lousy. Wonder if the '04 GTO will be worth five times it's original value 20 years from now like the 70 GTO's were in 1990! I'll bet there's dealers that will get at least one to mothball, just like happened with Eldorado convertibles, Miatas, even found one dealer with a 64 1/2 Mustang on his showroom floor, 39 (yes, that's thirty nine) original miles in Nebraska last year.
    Even if you get bored with it...are you sure you would want to sell it? As far as future value goes...who knows. The fact you are getting one puts you a in a good starting position, if nothing else.

The person the who ordered a judge in 1970 decided for a few hundred dollars more the ram air 4 motor would be a nice option. He probably wasn't thinking about future value either!

FWIW- I have an old pontiac myself. 71 firebird esprit. Original(sans one correct code repaint)65k car. Wish it were a TA or formula...oh well.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Mr. Shiftright and Obiwan are right. What did that Subaru do in the street start (5 to 60)? Give us those numbers. I remember the first WRX C&D got accelerated to 60 in 5.5 seconds. One they got later needed 5.9 seconds. Gee, I wonder why. The C&D "street start" 5 to 60 was 7.4 seconds. In a word - ridiculous. The car basically gives up a huge amount unless "dumped" like obiwan said.

So you can look at those magazine numbers all you want, and I suggest you cut them out and paste them to some foam board or something. You might want to share them with the guy in the GTO when you catch up to him at a light or something.

I guess it'll keep happening, but the GTO/pocket rocket comparisons are silly.
    Has anyone been to the NAIAS? Did they show any evolution to the GTO, like what may be available next year (heated seats, roof, ram air, etc)?

Just curious. Here in St. Louis we'll be lucky to get a production vehicle, the concept cars generally blow us off for the bigger shows.

Thanks.
  • robertkcalrobertkcal Member Posts: 14
    Well for me, the debate is over! No Onstar, so what. No Nav. system, so what. Ordered my GTO on the first day available (June 20th). Took delivery on 12-16, received one of the first ones in the country (Silver w/black). This is some car! I love the styling, the build quality is great, the ride is very nice for a sports car, the seats are awesome (both front & back), and it has the best radio ever in a GM car. And of course, the speed is there and the handling is great. With only 18,000 built a year I feel extremely lucky to have one.
    Did you get the automatic or stick? Tell us more- what you paid, likes and dislikes, what you had before, and how the rear seat headroom is (where the G35 coupe really falls down). Thanks and congratulations on your new car!
  • robertkcalrobertkcal Member Posts: 14
    I got the automatic. I paid $500 under MSRP (I have bought a number of cars from the same dealer). I had a 2000 Monte Carlo SS (it was a great car). I like almost everything about the car, the comfort, handling, power, and as I said, the radio. The front seats are very comfortable and supportive. The rear seats are true buckets and are almost identical to the fronts with the exception of the side supports.
     I would change a few things: 1 - Separate the exhaust pipes. 2 - Use a real GM tilt wheel (Mine has the European kind, where the whole wheel comes down and goes in and out). 3 - Get rid of the power assist to move the seats up to get into the rear. As for the new Mustang, it still has a live axle. If I wanted a "retro" car that only goes real fast straight, I would have bought an old GTO or Camaro
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    You folks are kidding yourselves if you think any modern GM/Holden vehicle will be worth more than you paid for it in 20 years.

Not sure about rebates but within 6 to 12 months they will be discounting off of msrp. Doesn't matter if they make 1800 or 18000. That's just the market position GM is in.

I was very interested in this car at one point, but between the bland styling, no trunk, and miserable experiences at more than one St Louis dealer, I've moved on.
    I drove an automatic today (I ordered the six speed). Superb ride and handling, plenty fast, but the styling and rear seat access leave a LOT to be desired. Bottom line, it rides and drives better than I expected, but the ergonomics and styling make me wonder how fast I'd get bored with it. Still comparing with Infiniti G35, which also has lousy rear seat access unless you get the four door (ugh). Maybe I'll just put $5k more worth of 'go fast' parts in my PT Cruiser and wait.
    Don't know where your miserable St. Louis experiences have been, but both dealers here I've worked with have been very easygoing, up front and eager to please! They're not all bad, you may just need to shop around more!
  • jeremie_75jeremie_75 Member Posts: 2
    Doesn't anyone else think that the new GTO looks like the front end of a sunfire meeting the rear end of a cavalier... GM, your "sleek" styling is to boring for me. Ford stomped the firebird and camaro into the ground with the retro mustang... Why can't you learn from your past mistakes?? Give a car like the GTO some character.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    No, I think it looks like a Monaro... part of the trade offs with trying to get a car converted in 17 months to meet USA requirements. Style is a personal thing and everybody has their preferences. I rather prefer a vehicle that looks nice enough but doesn't attract too much attention, and has the power and performance to be a "sleeper".
    (My grandfather used to love cruising through downtown on his way home late Friday nights, just so he could blow the doors off most of the high school kids cars at the stoplights in his '64 Buick Wildcat)
    From some articles I've seen, Pontiac is going to change a few styling cues for the 2005 release. For me, much of a car's character comes from the performance and driving fun.
    Yes, it looks bland...but like a Monaro, not a Cavalier or Sunfire! That's the price for getting it to market in under 24 months. In person, it looks a lot better. From behind the wheel, looks don't matter. This car ROCKS!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    just read back through this board. Plenty of discussion regarding the cars looks.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• imontyimonty Member Posts: 13
    orwoody you have it so right. Not only did it take 17 months to make it a Pontiac it was less than 24 months from dream to release as a Monaro. This thing didn't even go through clay models it was built direct from CAD design so it is remarkable that it is as good as it is. I am glad people who have driven it are liking it. That is why you buy a car, not just for looks. I am sure that the General will respond with changes to the next model as the experience in turning a dream to an Australian car then to a US car in in 3 years means they can probably do whatever they can dream up for the next model. I have seen how our auto industry can work if it puts it mind to it and it would freak you US guys out. we have to work with very small teams and make it happen. We don't get many second chances. I hope you enjoy the GTO for what it is a great drivers car that looks good. It ain't supposed to be a brute. That job is for the Coupe4 which is the 4 wheel drive version soon to be released here!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    From which dealership did you purchase, and what color did you order? I'm just around the corner from you, so I'll keep my eye out for you blazin' by.

I also agree that St. Louis domestic dealerships are pretty reasonable to deal with. midwesttrader, I recently had two trouble-free transactions and am really pleased with my service department, so maybe you've been shopping in the wrong places!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    for the first time. Local Pontiac dealer had a black/black on the showroom floor with a big sign: "Do not touch!" Car looks much bigger in person. This is not a little car. Anyone that says this car looks like a Cavalier or Sunfire needs to see one in the flesh. I couldn't look inside (they were closed on Sunday) so I will reserve my total judgement until such time, but what I saw was impressive. This car looks so much more aggresive in person than in pics. Rear window looks almost horizontal! Not a fan of the wheel style, though; just not to my taste.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    Dealer #1 B-------- Pontiac South (closest to my house); initially spoke with a fairly green salesman who said "sure we can order one for you at msrp no higher, we don't treat our customers that way." He also promised to mail me a brochure when they came in. Never heard back from him so after a few weeks I stopped by again. This time I talked to him and another jerk who was doing the actual ordering. Suddenly it was how much are you willing to pay we are selling them at thousands over msrp.

Dealer #2 S------ Pontiac (outside metro area); sales mgr would not even discuss the car over the phone other than to say be prepared to pay well over msrp on whatever we get in, not taking orders at the time

Dealer #3 B------- Pontiac GMC (near the airport); would sell at msrp, all but one car was presold. It was an auto and I wanted a stick.

Those were my three experiences late last summer. All three dealers acted like they were doing me a favor by selling to me at msrp or higher. None had any brochures. Follow-up was poor. Little respect for me as a customer only looking for a sale on their terms. Interpret as you see fit.
    midwesttrader, sorry you've had such a lousy experience. It doesn't sound like you've been treated as a customer. I've never dealt with a GMC dealership in StL, but I know which ones you're talking about. Unfortuntely, from the TMV reports, it looks like you're after a high-demand vehicle that's selling for MSRP right now, so it may be worth a wait.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Well, my dealership was polite and cooperative (M-----) but now the build date they've been given is third week of March!!!! I was told I'd have the car late February, now they're saying it's 90 days past build date, or mid to late JUNE! Shopping for another in my color (silver, red, stick) but there ain't none out there....I heard there's one in Louisville, any Kentuckians care to confirm? I don't mind travelling to get what I want, and will wait if I have to....but after driving a six speed today, I DON'T WANT TO WAIT!!!
  • crispiegeecrispiegee Member Posts: 90
    Okay guys, I need your help.

Last year, I had been thinking that my next car would be a foreign brand, but now I’m really torn between the ’05 Mustang and the GTO.

I know the Pontiac guys will say, “Mustangs suck,” and Ford guys will say the same about the GTO. But try to help me with some USEFUL comments – something I can think about in my decision-making process.

From my perspective, each has strengths.

GTO Pros:
    - Simple, elegant styling derived from Monaro
    - Luxurious European-style interior
    - Super-powerful, proven LS1 engine
    - 6-speed transmission
    - Great sounding exhaust
    - 4-wheel independent suspension

GTO Cons:
    - Considerably more expensive than the Mustang
    - Simple styling also a bit bland
    - Many people think it’s just a Grand Am
    - Uncertain resale value due to limited following

Mustang Pros:
    - Beefy, muscular styling that is uniquely “Mustang”
    - Looks great in silver with white stripes
    - Strong positive response among the public
    - Improved interior
    - Everyone knows it’s a Mustang

Mustang Cons:
    - Center stack still looks cheesy – cheap looking radio, HVAC
    - Hard-to-read retro gauges
    - Questionable reliability of Ford 4.6 V8
    - Significantly lower HP & torque than GM’s bigger V8
    - Wheezy sounding exhaust
    - Only has 5-speeds vs. 6-speed in GTO (29 mpg hwy)
    - Old fashioned solid axle

This is tough. I wish Ford wouldn’t wait to re-issue the Mach 1. That’s probably the Mustang that I will really fall in love with. I’m still not a fan of the Ford Modular V8, though.

The Mustang looks great on the outside, but it seems like the GTO is superior when you get underneath the skin (albeit for a higher price). Your opinions are welcomed.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    you mentioned the questionable resale of the GTO as a con. People aren't exactly selling their souls for used Mustangs. So I think, at the very least, you could erase that from the list (although, in reality, i think the limited availability of the GTO will carry the resale a bit more than the typical GM product).

Otherwise, I think being able to drive both would be a big help in determining, and that's just not possible yet.

Alot of folks are going to say its not a fair comparison because the GTO is made to be much more "substantial" than the Mustang. But, given the typical Ford vs. GM comparison, I think you're decision will be a rather common one.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    What an odd combo, I don't think I've ever seen it on any car. Make mine Electric blue with the white LeMans stripes (like a GT-350).

Seriously, Crispeegee that's a good analysis based on what we know so far.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

GTO would be a freat moron detector - whoever thinks that it looks like a Grand Am is a moron.
    the solid rear axle turns me right off
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    Or you could wait for the new Mustang Cobra...
  • benjordan2benjordan2 Member Posts: 8
    Why is everyone complaining about this GTO. I think it looks awsome, just because you old timers want it to look like it did back in the day, let us the youth of today have our own stlye of the GTO. Besides its not the style you buy it for its what is under the hood.
    People generally also like a certain amount of style in their vehicles, especially when they're paying $30K plus for it... AND, if they're "old timers," they generally have more money to pay for it than "young upstarts" do. There's a market for old styling and for progressive styling, as sales of the PT Cruiser have shown.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I'm old enough to remember and have driven the old GTO, and other muscle cars... Personally not too many of them had any real appealing style. It was mostly the sheer thrill of driving them in a straight line or at stop lights.
    The new Mustang is retro but clean, but the GTO is nice looking. It all depends on what kind of attention you are looking for.
  • obiwanobiwan Member Posts: 57
    When it came out, the PT cruiser, the New Beetle, the Plymouth Prowler, the T-bird all had gobs of "style".

What's happened to them?

The Prowler was cancelled years ago. The T-bird is on the chopping block. Cruisers and Beetles are piled up on the dealer lots.

"Style" and "curb appeal" are fleeting. Once the hype dies down, the car better have it where it counts if it wants to last.

Look at the Porches. They haven't done much to evolve the style but they have it where it counts and so they sell. Ferrari certainly has style but it also has the rest of the package. The Mustang has the style. But it has a lot more under the hood than the recent T-bird did and that will keep it afloat.

What does the GTO have? The same thing that the original had. A hot engine under the hood of a generic looking midsize coupe. No one will ever convince me that the old GTO had cutting edge style. Sit one next to a Cutlass, Chevelle, Skylark, GS, and most importantly the Tempest/LeMans and try to tell me it was unique.

The GTO has what it takes under the skin to keep it around for a long time. Let the others show up and look "cool".

Answer me just this one question: What good is a flashy paint job or gaudy styling when all they see is your tail lites dissapearing over the horizon?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Interesting thread....

When I was much younger, I spent every dime I had for a used (but well cared for) '67 "GOAT" (wish I had it today).

While it's true that the General had stuffed a big engine in a run of the mill car at the time, it put Pontiac on the map as far as a forward thinking brand with forward thinking styling. Those GTOs of bygone days had hood scoops, dual exhaust pipes and wood dashes/consoles. They definitely didn't have the look of the more mundane cars of the day, even based on the more generic of Pontiacs. Further on in the GTOs development, they also "morphed" into "THE JUDGE" and sported some crazy color schemes, too. Yes, they were considered "unique" at the time.

If the current GTO is indeed a "limited production" run as GM says it is, I would think that would be all the more reason to give it more "style" than as a thinly disguised Grand Prix.

The car already has the "steak" with the performance crowd. It just doesn't have the "sizzle" with the current styling.

Considering what I see on the road today, with big flashy spoilers, big exhaust cans, flashy chrome wheels, etc. I would think the "younger crowd" would like a bit more "flash".

It would be my guess that the "older" crowd (which I guess I'm now a part of) would prefer more of that type of "sizzle" for their $30K+ large. I would also think that the "younger" crowd would appreciate some of the same. Considering where the GTO is priced, Pontiac is trying to tap into some of that nostalgia since that same "older group" will be the ones most likely to be able to afford it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Add to your consideration that the GTO supposedly is VERY comfortable. You read this everywhere. I doubt you can say that about any Mustang. 1 to 2+ hours in a car and that is quite important in the REAL world. Same can be said for the back seat. The GTO has a real one. The Mustang.......? Even if you don't have 3 or more in the car, a real back seat is great for fitting things in the car for "road trips" - especially if you have fishing stuff and/or a guitar or something. LOL.

As for the Mustang having more low end power - I'd like to see that comparison with actual power curves. Where did that come from? I doubt it. The LS1 is a low end torque monster.
    Retro is by definition a doomed philosophy for car design I think, and I'm glad the GTO didn't fall for it.

The problem is that you cannot develop a strongly retro design. What can you do, make it look OLDER every year?

So it's an evolutionary dead end and almost guarantees that your product line will not have brand identification year after year, say as BMW or MB does so well.

Retro can be amusing and fun, but as a major design trend it cannot hold water because it's so hard to get the interpretation right.

Probably the only viable retro design these days is the new Mustang, but we'll see about that, too.
    While I don't disagree with your argument, I think the same can be said of the GTO's current design.....where can they take it from here?

If you start out as a copy of a current car (in this case, the Grand Prix), where can you go except to continue with the same design themes currently in place?
    Well, you can evolve that design more readily, although I must admit the GP is not all that inspiring as it sits.

I wonder if the GTO will face the same fate as Marauder and Impala SS or if it will develop a little niche for itself?

I was just curious so I went to look at an original GTO coupe the other day and I must say it is still very very "period attractive". Forunately, there were other competing mid 60s cars in the showrrom as well, and the GTO stood out as quite handsome among them. Aside from a '65 Mustang coupe, none of the mid 60s cars on the floor looked anywhere near as good as the GTO. The '64 Chev was a big brick, ditto Ford and Chrysler, but the GTO has a kind of "pouncing" look to it---the skin on the body almost seemed to stretch a bit. Very dynamic styling, good job for the times I thought. No wonder this old restored coupe was selling in the mid $20Ks!

I'm not sure we could say the same about the new GTO, although it is certainly not an offensive design.
    That's kind of "damning with faint praise"...... that it's "certianly not an offensive design".

Do agree with you, the cars of the period (mid-'60s) were mostly a "brick", whereas the Pontiacs (in particular, the GTO) were sleek-looking. That is, until they went to the big "endura" bumper period.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    You and the others make solid points on looks, performance and cost, but you really can't put the Impala SS in the same category as the Mercury. GM was selling every SS it was building when it decided to stop making them and the other RWD B-Bodies in order to build more trucks. GM made similar decisions with the G-Bodies and Fiero. So it's not like with the Marauder, an over-hyped car that never delivered on its promises. The Merc was just too much "too":

Too much $$
    Too little performance
    Too late to market

I think if the car wasn't called GTO, it wouldn't get as much flack as it does. I don't think the Poncho will have problems selling because of having a limited run, but it still has the front-end of a 97-03 GP. But again, considering GM only spent a short time on the changes it still looks ok, but not to make me want one or rush right out and buy one. Make mine triple-black and 389 Tri-Powered or the sleeper one Wangers & DeLoreon built for the mag reviews with the 421SD.
This discussion has been closed.