Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Not at all. It's the difference between a polite enquiry and an accusation.

Why not re-read my post (#4605), then re-read your reply (#4606). Perhaps you could point out the claims that I was making that you require to be backed up?

I'm not sure where snobbery (net or any other sort) comes into things.
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    I think anon was making a polite inquiry and was just wondering whom the source was. There was no author or a link, and asking a simple question as anon did wasn't out of the question especially on a board where people exchange information. So…was your source Motor Trend?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd prefer to see it reposted as a link myself since I think you're over the line for "fair use" of copyrighted material, which is prohibited by our Member Agreement (which keeps the owners of the copyrights off our backs).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    No, it's from 'The Detroit News' via 'PR Newswire'. Actually, a search will reveal it all over the place. I'll put the URL below to the location I found it originally.

I think that we must agree to disagree on the other matter though.image

Point taken. Wouldn't want either of us involved with copyright lawyers.
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I agree with Steve that a link should have been posted with the information, but I also agree with Mac24 on the fact that there was an accusation that he made up the information by saying "Any pictures or cites to back up these claims?" I have seen several posts by anonymous that were not very polite in the past so I can see why mac would think this was an accusation.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Ive seen the pic of the Apex at my local dealer..
    I had my oil changed & he showed me the pic of it. Looks nice but needs 30" tires..
    Hey cant we all just get along?

BT
  • vicrvicr Member Posts: 3
    This spring I'll be taking the plunge and buying a new SE (still trying to decide on color). A friend gave me a set of 16" wheels from a 1998 Ram Pickup and I thought these might be good candidates to upgrade the base SE wheels. Has anyone ever tried this? Just wondered if offset and bolt patterns were the same.

Thanks.

-Vic
  • madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    I just came across some info on the Rubicon on Jeeps official website. They are giving one away in a game/contest. I may or may not try for that. But the cool part is I came across some prize value info while reading the rules page. It says the MSRP of a "typically equipped" Rubicon will be between $24,000 and $28,000.

I'm not sure when it will be availble for order, but it's listed as a 2003.

Check it out at

www.jeepunpaved.com

madman
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    "...I also agree with Mac24 on the fact that there was an accusation that he made up the information by saying "Any pictures or cites to back up these claims?" I have seen several posts by anonymous that were not very polite in the past so I can see why mac would think this was an accusation."

Impolite? When? I am shocked. Really. Please explain where or how I have been anything close to impolite. I am sorry if this was the case. I apologize if I hurt someone or offended someone.

I thought it was standard procedure to doubt anything on the internet. At least, it is for me. I really am very suspect of rumors or "legends" which start on BBS systems, and therefore request some sort of backup. This is especially true here, as JEEP has no sign of this on their web page that I can see and I have not heard about this vehicle before now.
    Hurt?....no. Slightly offended?......yes.
    By all means, ask for clarification, no one should object to that.
    ....."This is the first I've heard of the Apex, it's not even on Jeep's website. Could you post a link?".....would have been perfectly acceptable.

It's worth thinking about exactly what you say, as your tone of voice and body language can't be observed here. The only tools we have are words, punctuation and emoticons.

Apology accepted :-)
  • markymaypomarkymaypo Member Posts: 3
    I have the 15x8 stock canyon rims with no lift. I'm looking at buying some BFG AT KOs.

The specs for the BFGs indicate that with the 8" rims I can go with 31x10.5, 32x11.5, or 33x10.5. If I want to go with the 32" or 33" BFGs do I need to add a lift? If yes, can anyone recommend a decent lift? I really like the idea of going with 32" or 33" instead of 31". Thanks
    Yes, for all practical purposes, you will need a lift. If you want to go wider than 10.5 you'll need spacers or new wheels. There are many varieties of lift available, both in type and cost. Remember, you tend to get what you pay for. Also, consider if you want to go off road or not, it makes a difference.
    You can also get 32X9.50R15 which is good for your rim and side clearance. Then height is the only issue (I'd think you'd need a lift...perhaps the spring spacers would do the trick.)
    If you are wondering what size tires will fit on your Jeep, check out this website:

http://www.natltire.com/ntw0799/pages/fithit6.html

It'll give you a good idea.

madman

they leave out a lot of tire size options.

such as:

33x9.50R15 BFG AT KO

or

LT 275/85R-15 Denman Coyote http://www.denmantires.com/denman_coyote_a.htm

Who here knows what is a good, simple, inexpensive alarm for a Wrangler which has a motion detector/sensor?

I don't need the starting, door locks (what, doors?), power windows (power zippers?), or other features.

I don't really want it for keeping the car from getting stolen, even, but to keep the young punks from putting their hands where they don't belong.

I am looking at Bulldog, and Logix Alarm LA9324.

Any others to consider? If I didn't believe it was cruel, I'd just leave a guard dog there all day.

:-)
    Have a look at the 328i3 from Crutchfield.
    Possibly add the AU94T radar motion sensor.
    Crutchfield can also supply a custom wiring harness, and they have a good reputation for customer service.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Stever, I had a couple of my old post bookmarked for posterity, and they have disappeared from my "message center" with the re-organization of the club.

I guess they are still there, but I will have to scroll back through all the posts to find them, right?

They were from the day I ordered Thelma and from the day I picked her up.

Hope they are still there.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

I FOUND THEM! NEVER MIND :)
    Regarding the fitment chart, it's a starting point. It will give you an idea of what size is likely to fit. But it definitely is not the end all be all.

Fit will depend on several factors (how much "sag" is in the suspension, what the "true" tire size is, etc, etc). But, like I said, it's a good starting point.

madman
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Glad you found them! Karen did some rearranging trying to get some more interest going in the clubs.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • big_davebig_dave Member Posts: 13
    I just bought the CS9000 from Crutchfield for my 99 Wrangler and installed it last weekend. So far, it works great. It has shock detection as well as current sensing (goes off when someone opens a door activating the interior light). It was cheap ($49), but it does a good job for what I need. Install was pretty easy -- just soldered one wire to the battery, one to one of the relays under the hood, and one to the back of a parking light. You can install a starter disable, but I didn't want to bother with it.
    I don't want to use doors in the summer, so that won't work here.

I want something with the motion sensor, "brains, remote (and transmitter), and siren only.

Don't want anything else, nor want to pay for anything extra. Maybe I can buy the sensor and a controller at radio shack. Will have to check it out.
    Hang on to your seats, folks! Old tsjay is takin' his baby offroadin' for the first time tomorrow. Ross Allen is goin' too.

I'm supposed to meet a couple other jeepers down at Turkey Bay on Kentucky Lake. There are jeep and four wheeler trails there, and it will host a Jambo in April.

I'll take plenty of pics, but I use a regular camera, so it will be a week or more before I have pics to post.

I can't believe I'm really taking my Thelma Jane offroad! I'm fired up for it, though, and I think I'll have a real good time. Thelma is excited too. :)

tsjay

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Hope you have (had) a good time! Let us know how it goes. It can be great fun!
  • cptsteamcptsteam Member Posts: 12
    Well a bit off hassle and way to much driving (1850 miles all the way from Wisconsin!)........BUT.......

My new 2002 Yellow Sport is home in Las Vegas!

I changed out the 30inch Goodyears for 45$ a tire in trade for 5 31inch BFG ATK KOs...and the new tire ROCK! I have not really need any super tight turns so I don't know if they are rubbing....or even what rubbing would feel like.

I got a MOPAR spair tire ski carrier and it seems like it will fit...although bairely......on my new 31inch spair.

I am putting on the steering box and engine skid plates (both MOPAR) within the next couple days.

The MOPAR hitch is nice but I think I will want a rear bumper hitch one day for a little more clearence for more serious offroading.......any suggestions guys and girls?

I am thinking of putting some Tuffy boxes in the back next to the bench seat on the wheel wells....aynone have experience out there with these? What color of their boxes match the AGATE jeep interior?

Lastly does the jeep come with the TORQ tools for the tops? I have the duak top group. Also anyone know of a good system for geting the hard top off and on?

The trip was overall pritty cool and the Jeep rocked! It snowed on I-70 in the Colorado Rockies and the jeep with the BFGs could car less! I have not even thrown it into 4 wheel drive yet! The sound system with the 7 speakers was not THAT bad......though was a little loud in my left ear....maybe some of the poly fill in the sound bar and else where would help.

If I can get a digital camera I will list my self on the jeep owners section here...

Again thanks for the little bits of info as I made the various purchase and optioning decisions.

Joe Stnaley
  • waskeywaskey Member Posts: 1
    Potential Jeep owner here. 36 yrs old, always wanted one, always thought they were impractical. Getting to the point where I don't care anymore - married, no kids, one dog. Considering a new Sport, Black with Tan hard top, tan interior. Living in Texas I plan on having the top off a lot. Currently own a Maxima and a Suburban. I'll be the daily driver of the Jeep. Mainly driving to work and back. Any thoughts on going from a car to a Jeep? I'm afraid I'll end up confirming my fears of it being impractical. Thanks for any advice, arm twisting.
    Potential Jeep owner here. 36 yrs old, always wanted one, always thought they were impractical.

Just do it. I was in the same boat until last year. A friend of mine I grew up with who I never imagined in one (condo type) got one, and I said, "That's it, I'm the one who has always wanted one, and HE has one?" I decided then and there that even at 36, I wasn't too old for a JEEP.

Getting to the point where I don't care anymore - married, no kids, one dog.

Same here. Even more reason to do it: dogs love them. Ask TSJAY.

Considering a new Sport, Black with Tan hard top, tan interior.

Got a black 1997. Grey inside. Picked up a tan hard top in December in Albany (3 hours drive each way, topless on way out!!!...with friend from above!!!!!)

Mainly driving to work and back. Any thoughts on going from a car to a Jeep?

I'm afraid I'll end up confirming my fears of it being impractical.

No way! I bought mine because my Civic couldn't handle the dog, boat, camping, and also for skiing, boat junk, firewood (camping), etc. I bought a shelf which goes on the trailer hitch for coolers, wood, storage bins (for camping), and it performed awesome!!!

Thanks for any advice, arm twisting.

You are welcome. Let us know how you make out. If I could do it now, I might go for the silver or that orange/red/rust color. I like the color, and it looks like it would hide dirt and rust nicely in the future.
    Going from a car to a Wrangler - hmmm. I went from a truck to a Wrangler and had no problems. It's bouncier than a car, stiffer suspension, but they are now quite civilized. Mine would be my daily driver if it got better gas mileage (I get a pretty constant 20 mpg). I have a hard top and love it. Others far prefer soft tops. I find that where I live it is either hotter or colder than I would like with a soft top. Mine is black with a black top, very good looking and helped me decide that this would be my LAST black vehicle. The hard tops don't mind 3 feet of snow on them but they aren't great in the wind (and my commute is usually windy). What type of commute do you have? Mine is 75 miles of mostly highway and my 5 speed does very nicely on it, except one short stretch where the expansion joints are spaced in such a way that the Wrangler really rocks at certain speeds. Usually the traffic is too slow to make it do that, but once in a while that interchange speeds up...

When I do use it in the winter (my other vehicle is a 4x2) I always plan on taking extra time to get home. What with the lousy handling in the wind and the fact that it can turn on a dime, so the steering is sensitive, I drive it slower. It also gets much better gas mileage if I keep the speed down close to 65, as well handling better.

So go for it - get that Wrangler!
  • jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    I've had a 2000 Sport as my daily driver for almost a year. I went from a Sunfire GT to my Jeep. The Sunfire was fast, but a piece of junk. When I first got my Wrangler, I was driving an hour each way from home to work every day, and it worked out very well. (Much better than the Sunfire, especially for the trip home during the summer with the top down!) My current commute is 20 mins each way, and it still works very well. Go for it!

Jeephead
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I had a jeep in the past, but don't have one at the moment. I plan on ordering mine two months from today when I turn 48.

No wife, female friend, 2 dogs that travel, no kids. The friend, dogs, and myself will normally not travel at the same time, but I don't think it would be a problem.

Driving a Suburban you should be use to buying gas. If you get rid of the Maxima it should not be that big a shock to have to buy a bit more gas for the Jeep. My boss is in the process of going from a Maxima for his wife to a Durango. I think he will be in for a shock.

I live in central Texas and plan on getting a soft top with the full doors. If it gets to hot I will put the top up. Baseball caps and cowboy hats will protect my thinning hair from being wind blown and also keep me from getting that terrible sunburn on top of my noggin.

My areas of concern are the wind we get down here and the inability to secure any valuables that I would leave in the vehicle. I get blown all over now so I will just deal with it. I won't be driving the Jeep if I have to go to the mall. I plan on leaving it unlocked most of the time and I am not getting some high dollar upgrade on the stereo. I have other vehicles available to me if I need to carry a bunch of people or cargo and it sounds like you have one to two more vehicles also.

Mine will be a daily driver a couple of times a week for 30 mile round trips. My drive is mostly highway with a mix of MP check points and a few stop lights with slower speeds. I don't see the Jeep as being a problem for any reason on my trips.

I test drove a 4 cylinder (all they had with a soft top) on Monday and it did OK on the road. I found a fairly rough parking lot at the livestock auction barn and hit it as fast as I could. They seem to ride a whole lot better than they used to, but they still move around a bit in the wind.

The bottom line in my opinion is that you will be pleasantly surprised by the jeep, but it won't be like driving the Maxima. I don't see the Jeep as being impractical for you.

GO FOR IT. I think you will enjoy it.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Absolutely, you should go for it, but I'd skip the hard top unless you live in a northern climate. The new soft tops seem to be just as quiet, and as long as you have A/C you'll be alright in the summer heat. Since I moved from the Northwest to SoCal my hard top has not left the garage. Color choice is a subjective thing but I'd stay away from black if you live in Texas, too hot in the sun.
    One of the saddest phrases in life is "if only".
    If you want a Jeep in your life, do your research, take test drives, then make your choice and go for it.
    In years to come you'll be able to say "I used to own one of the last Wranglers they ever built!"

DO IT! I have owned my 2001 Sport for over a year now, and I love her better than any of the other vehicles I have ever owned. For the first time in many, many years or maybe EVER, I am satisfied with a vehicle after owning it a year and am not just drooling over some other new vehicle and trying to figure out a way to trade for it. I would not trade my Thelma Jane for any other vehicle out there!

I drove Thelma as my daily driver for the first seven months that I owned her, up until I bought a little S-10 to drive to work. I was driving the Jeep the 54 miles round trip to work and back every day with no problem at all, and I even took her on business trips of up to 300 miles one way. NO PROBLEM!

I just got back from my first offroading trip, and IT WAS A BLAST! Jeeps do it all! Take the top off and the doors off and have a real ball. Take them offroading and have so much fun you can't believe it! They are also capable of getting you to work and back or whatever you need them to do.

Why didn't I get one years ago???

tsjay

• saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    I use my 2001 Sahara as my daily vehicle. It's a perfectly practical car for me. My 2 sons and I tool around in it very comfortably. When we travel as a family, we use my husband's car.

I only have the soft top (with full doors). It's very warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The noise is no problem at all. I like having the soft top because you can put it up quickly when it rains. It wasn't difficult at all going from a sedan to the Jeep!

Go drive one! That's how I finally decided. Have fun!
    Just woke up from about a three hour nap! All the good fresh air I got today wheelin' made me sleepy when I got indoors on the computer.

Anyway, I intended to post a congratulations to you about your Jeep and was just gonna stretch out on the bed for a few minutes and then do it. The few minutes turned into three hours! :)

So... CONGRATULATIONS! I know you have to be thrilled to death with that baby! Come on over to Ky and go wheelin with me!

It's even more fun havin' a Jeep than you thought, huh? They HAVE to be the coolest vehicles you can buu!

Come to gill's and tell us all about it.

tsjay

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Come to gill's and tell us all about it.

Why not tell us all about it right here? Besides, we're not supposed to be promoting other sites and boards. :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Hey all!

Sorry it's been soooo long been busy with school, a friend's illness and the passing of my Aunt...but Jeeps r never far from my mind.

Seriously wakey if you can go for it. I'm looking at a 98 White Sahara at a local Honda dealership...trying to figure out how to swing it. It's an auto, got dual topsand for the most part is in fine shape. They're asking 16,000 for it but the salesman said, "I've got alot of room to work with you on it." Right....prove it ;)

I owe around 3600 on my 95 Firebird, and the trade in value is around 4500, private sale around 5500, and retail around 12900. I need to get at least 6000 to have a decent downpayment..

Then have to hope to get a good finance rate...hopefully only four years, but I need my payments to be 200/mo or less (preferably less). I don't know how much insurance will go up per month. I currently pay 70/mo (including life insurance).

Gal, :) nice to see that you're still around...don't see ya in Gill's too much...get that computer back or get a laptop at a resale shop. You can get a decent one for around 200-400. Come to Gill's when you can though need to catch up every once in a while.

Well, you all behave and keep posting.

Hug your Jeeps for me! ;)

dwrangler 0llll0
    Hey, Steamer DID share it here. I was just inviting him to share it over there too. It's not a matter of one or the other, Tidester Man. People do not come to one site to the exclusion of the other. Jeepers go to lots of sites.

Remember, I have used THAT site to invite people HERE. There have been folks in there that never heard of edmunds.com until old tsjay told them in gill's chat room about this place.

I have been coming here for close to two years, I guess, and I have never encouraged anyone to leave here and have actually pleaded with people who were upset about something NOT to leave here.

This place will always be "home" to me (unless I get kicked out). It's the first Jeep site I ever went to, and despite finding several others, I have never abandoned this place.

tsjay

P.S. Now that I think about it, I guess it has been close to three years that I have been coming to Edmunds. I bought a '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo in February of 1999, and I started hanging out on the Grand Cherokee board some time after that. I come to Edmunds DAILY, and, other than Gill's noncommercial site, I don't go anywhere else on a daily basis.
    It happened! Thelma finally got to have some fun off the pavement. I took her to the Turkey Bay OHV (off-highway vehicle) area in the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area on Kentucky Lake.

I have to first of all thank my guide, RodDawg. He met me down there and led me around the trails.

There were three Jeeps: RodDawg's 97 dark blue (now called Patriot Blue) Sport with a 4" lift and 33 x 12.50 tires, his friend's (Greg's) stock red 97 SE, and, of course, the lovely "Thelma Jane." :) We were very patriotic, the jeeps being red, white, and blue.

Rod's friend, Greg, was a first time offroader too.

Man, I just cannot believe the things we did today! These crazy Jeeps will go ANYWHERE!

Rod stopped at one point early on and turned right, leaving the trail and climbing up the hillside that the trail was cut into. I thought to myself, "This guys is absolutely nuts! I sure won't try that!" But I DID! Thelma Jane did the same thing that Rod's Jeep did. The terrain was so steep that I could only see Thelma's hood as we climbed that hill.

The next scary thing we did was to go up a steep, narrow, twisting, rocky ravine. Once again, I thought that there was no way I could follow Rod up that thing, but Thelma Jane just fell right in behind that lead Jeep and went up the ravine like it was no big thing.

At the end of the day we came to a nice big mudhole and played in it for a while. I made several passes throuh it, and I got Thelma good and muddy. She wasn't completely covered in mud, but it wasn't from lack of effort on my part. Her tires just don't stick out far enough to sling mud all over her. She still had plenty of mud on her, though.

I shot several pics, but I used a 35 MM camera, since I don't have a digi. I will try take up the rest of that roll's exposures and get it sent off for processing ASAP. I'll post a pic or two in the photo gallery here.

People, I HAD FUN! Thelma Jane had fun. Ross Allen had fun. WHAT A DAY!

RodDawg, thanks again!

tsjay

Hey, my friend, are you convinced to get a Jeep yet? You didn't make your email address public, otherwise I would have emailed you by now.

If you are still thinking about getting a Jeep, please email me, and I will be glad to give you the benefit of my experience in owning a Jeep. I also had some doubts about their practicality when I went from a beautiful, roomy, comfortable, powerful, Grand Prix GT sedan to a Jeep. NO REGRETS!

I can give you more details and discuss option choices with you, if you email me. I won't try to convince you to get the same options that I did, but I can now see the pros and cons of some of the option choices much better after owning a Jeep for a year.

email is... tjoh298765@aol.com

tsjay

• jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Married here with no kids, 2 dogs. Bought my first Jeep in '97, sold it in 2000, then 11 months later bought a 2001 because I missed the other one so much. I was 35 years old when I bought the first one, and 39 when I bought this one.

For reference purposes, I drove a Chrysler 300M for about 6 months until I got my second Jeep. Before that, it was Explorers, an Infiniti Q45, a Trooper, 280ZX, RX-7, a couple of Mustangs (68 & 80), and a few assorted, unremarkable pickups and cars.

None have been as much fun as the Wranglers.

Sure, I'm 40 years old, and my buddies all drive Yukons, Grand Cherokees, and Explorers, and they don't get. Hey "Its a Jeep thing, you want understand, guys.

I'm a little more critical of the highway part than tsjay, though. I use the Explorer whenever possible for long trips, just because its quieter. Although this latest generation is the most refined of the CJ/YJ/TJ line, its still noisy compared to most any other vehicle. Your Maxima and Suburban are far better choices for a road vehicle.

I think thats a great color combo and selection. I have both tops, and rarely use the soft top, because I have a lift in my garage. If you are planning on removing the hard top, get a lift! I cannot express this enough. It makes the job quick and easy. I bought it immediately after the first time my wife and I took the top off my first Jeep. Others express a preference for the soft top, so I'm going to try it again this summer, especially when I go to Camp Jeep up here in the Ozarks in July.

I would also recommend the CD player with subwoofer, or an aftermarket unit. And of course, air conditioning in Texas.

Impractical? Hmm, I always thought it was like a Swiss Army knife: top on or off; rear windows in or out; doors on or off; windshield up or down; trick it out with hundreds of accessories; lift it; drive to the office, drive the Rubicon. The slight noise and bumpy ride is more than offset by the terrific maneuverability, especially around town. Besides that, top down motoring is a blast, especially in a Jeep.
    We (husband and Golden Retriever) have 2 vehicles, the Wrangler and a Tacoma. Last spring we drove from So. Cal. to northern BC and back. We took the Wrangler instead of the Taco because it has far more comfortable seats, even though it gets 9-10 mpg less. I wasn't willing to trade comfort for money since we did the drive going up in 2 1/2 days. The first day we drove from just north of LA to Portland, Ore. No discomfort at all. Since my backside gets very numb in the Taco going from LA to Vegas, I couldn't imagine driving all that way in it.

So don't worry about comfort with a Wrangler - it is definitely better than a Tacoma!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I may just have to visit Gill's myself!

I know you've been here a while and you're one of our most valuable members - didn't mean to imply you're doing anything improper. Besides, anyone who exhibits as much enthusiasm for Jeeps as you do is obviously an asset to Edmund's!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Thanks, Pal. You would be very welcome to visit Gill's place.

And, you sure have that right about my enthusiasm for Jeeps! You ought to consider one!

I'll tell you a great place to get retail and invoice costs for the Jeep and the various options. It's also a great place to get a good idea about the trade-in value of the vehicle you are going to be trading. Also, you can go to some of the message boards and find out what kind of deals people are getting in relation to invoice on the new Jeeps and which options are good to have. I made full use of that place when I was shopping for a Jeep, and I got a great deal because of the research I had done there. It's called Edmunds.com! :)

I do thank Edmunds for the great web site they have provided. I was serious about all that I said above. The information I obtained here was invaluable in getting the deal made on Thelma Jane.

By doing my homework here, I knew that I should be able to trade my 2000 Grand Prix for the new Jeep for about $7000 with tax and all. The first place I went wanted $10,000 and the second $9000. I knew better than to take either of those deals because of the info I got here. I ended up trading at the third place for about $6500! Thanks a bunch, Edmunds!

tsjay

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Wow..Tom that off roadin & that nap..really got you going ...
    Well..i guess in the only no off-roader left..
    All alone now..I just dont think I could knowingly get TAZZ dirty...
    WASKY..get that jeep boy..u will love it..
    they are impracticle..gas guzzlers...no storage..
    PERFECT!! I have no regrets at all about getting tazz.. Its my toy...
    Ok jeepers..
    not going to make it to "that other site" tonight all..gotta a sick little girl here...

take care all
    KEEP JEEPIN
    Bama
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    After your post about Edmunds, I decided you have a definite future as a politician!

I agree with you about Edmunds being a big help in the decision process and thanks to all of you that post. Even just lurking out here I still get lots of good input. Glad to know that my backside won't go numb on my four hour trips to Oklahoma, thanks to MTNGAL.

I finally did my test drive on Monday and actually saw a real live Amber Fire Wrangler. The Amber Fire will be the one with Sienna as a close second.

I did the test drive solo so I still don't know how quiet the new soft top material is, but I thought it was quieter than the old tops.

The ride seems to be a whole lot better than what I remember from the old days.

57 days and a wake up till I order, not that I am counting or any thing.
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    I totally agree about Edmunds. I've referred a few new car buyers here and to CarsDirect.com to do research. Whereas before the Internet I was totally clueless when it came to cars, now I felt completely empowered going in to buy my Jeep. Had it not been for Edmunds, the salespeople could have (and, most likely, WOULD have) been able to tell me just about anything on any Jeep option and I would have believed them. As it was, I knew more about the Wranglers, the options available, and the prices than virtually every salesperson I spoke with. That gave me ammunition to deflect their attempts to deceive me:

1. Trying to tell me the $500 rebate only applied to Automatic Transmission Wranglers.
    2. Trying to convince me that a hypothetical Wrangler with a "mini console" was the same as one with a "full console"
    3. Trying to tell me that I'd need a 6 cylinder engine to carry the weight of a hardtop and all the options I was adding on.
    4. Even went so far as to accuse me of "taking all the fun out of buying a vehicle" because I wanted to order exactly what I wanted from the factory rather than accept something else that they had on their lot.

And the benefit didn't stop there. Since I started posting on this discussion board, I've learned invaluable information about maintaining my Jeep and about cars in general than I ever thought I would know. I even got tips on driving a stick-shift!

Thanks to Edmunds, I'm convinced that I got the best deal that I possibly could have gotten at the time, and I was able to get EXACTLY what I wanted. As a result, I have had not even one SECOND of regret since I made my purchase just over 10 months ago. I don't even mind paying my monthly loan payment!

yellowman