Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Hey the e is real close to the i on the keyboard.
    I thought wench looked funny because I forgot to put an h after the w.

I went to school in Kentucky, give me a break. Back me up on this Tsjay.

Now my feelings are hurt so I am not going to tell you what I ordered at the Jeep dealer this morning.
    You mentioned that you were down in North Texas. Have you run across a club called Jeeps of North Texas? They have a site at Jeepn.org. It looks like they are in the Dallas area.

My map does not even show Keller where you are located. I am in Harker Heights.

I ordered mine today so I think I am now qualified to say congrats on your Easter present.
  • wranglerchuckwranglerchuck Member Posts: 3
    Greetings fellow Jeepers,
    I installed a 2 ½ inch suspension lift and a 1 inch tranny drop on my 93 YJ and still have vibration between 30 - 45 mph. Both on the acceleration and deceleration. Any suggestions?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    So tell us what you ordered! I'm dying to know what you ended up getting, especially since I may be in the market for a new one. While the Forester sounds so much like a perfect other vehicle for us, I just can't get excited about it. Now a new Wrangler to go along with the '98 would be nice. It won't be black though...
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Spill your guts, toad! Come on!

How can you do this to us? Give it up! We gotta know!

tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

Have you choked your friend that won't tell you about his Jeep that he ordered today?
    Sorry, Pal, but I don't have an answer for you. Just wanted to say howdy and welcome to the board.

If you would like to go to www.itsajeep.org, and go to the chat room there in the evenings, there will more than likely be a couple people there who might help you.

This group is more of a "social club" where friends hang out and celebrate the joys of Jeep ownership.

tom

• anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Sorry.

Now, what did you get?

;-)
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Did you do an alignment after the lift? If not, that is recommended, if so, recheck everything (all bolts, etc.) for tightness. Other than those obvious suggestions, I'm at a loss.

-twylie
    You might want to try the folks at jeepn.org out of the Dallas area. These guys sound like they are some real gear heads. A guy that posts as Gonzo seems to be pretty up on stuff and he is the guy that seems to have all the tools that get borrowed. They do a thing called wrench-a-thons where they all get together and help each other with their mods.

Border Patrol?
    Sorry about the delay, but did you notice what day I ordered my Jeep on?

APRIL FOOL!!!!!!!

Can I still post here if I bought a Geo Tracker?
  • madebw00madebw00 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the tips - yeah, the DFW Metroplex is pretty active. There is Cowtownjeeps, Jeeps of North Texas, FWD FWD and lots more. I know some folks in those clubs. We will see. For now life is good. Keller is north of Ft Worth near Alliance Airport.
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    Check to see if your vibration is coming from the drive line. If it is you will need a transfer case lowering kit or to raise the motor mounts. Usually right after a lift kit is installed the pinion angle will change the with the YJs short drive shaft, it will more then likely cause a drive line vibration. Another cure is to install degree shims for the rear to correct the angles.
    Ordering a new Jeep is nothing to joke about! Now I am depressed! :( Not because you fooled me, but because I was all excited about your new Jeep.

CRAP!

Now you'll just have to go order one today and tell us all about it tonight.

Shame on you Toad!

Tom

I went ahead and used my bumper mount idea for the antenna. I bought a 5.5' antenna, so it sticks up over the top by about 12 to 15 inches.

I didn't even need a bracket. I just used a stud mount for the antenna, and the hole was far enough away from the tailgate that I shouldn't get any rubbing of the antenna against the Jeep. It it hits anything, it would just be the tailight lens.

I just ran the cable through the corner of the liftgate where it closes against the tail gate. There was enough space in the corner for the cable to go through and still allow the liftgate to close.

My problem now is that I want to take advantage of one of those extra circuits that they provide from the factory for the hot wire on the CB, but I don't know how you make the connection. Fuse number 18 is the unswitched extra circuit, but where do you tie in with that circuit? I see no extra wires under the dash that might be on that circuit.

I know I could go straight to the battery as long as I have an inline fuse, but that seems kind of tacky, and, heck, there is supposed to be a way to take advantage of the extra circuit the factory has provided.

Tom

• jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Looking in from the copilot seat the wires on my 98 they were tucked in the upper right corner behind the duct work. In my brother in laws 2001 they were tucked above the fuse box and they are marked accordantly. I also installed my antenna on the bumper, this setup has worked fine for me both on and off the road .
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    I thought the same thing about using that extra circuit that the factory so kindly provided...

After speaking to Stu at JeepsUnlimited he convinced me to run the power direct to the battery. I forget the meat of the conversation now, but I do remember him warning me to get a "clean" source of power and a "good" ground. It was his opinion that the battery was the best place to do it.

I ran two twelve gauge wires from the battery (connected with solderless ring connectors) through the firewall where the factory harness goes (I did not poke through the plug). Then along the drivers side in that wire loom then up inside the roll bar padding, the across inside the roll bar padding to the middle by the interior light. I made a tiny slit so the wire could come out and ran it into the CB Rack. Really clean and neat.

Having said all that, if you still want to use the factory wires they are behind the glove box. Take the glove box out and search around behind there with a flashlight, you'll find them eventually.

PS---I ran the antenna wire the same way you did, then came up inside the rollbar padding and across to the CB Rack.

Here's a pic of my CB on the rack...

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/123000-123999/123155_20_full.jpg

And here's a pic of my latest aquisition!

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/123000-123999/123155_18_full.jpg

• 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I agree with David and Stu, you should run the wire to the battery to keep motor noise out of the line as well. Same as wiring an amp for your stereo....the cleanest power comes directly from the source!
    Ugh, choke, cough, I am being choked. (for Tsjay)

April 1st was just to good a chance to pass up and I am just to mean to pass it up. It was kind of like fishing, try to pick the right bait and throw it out and wait.

I actually did order a vehicle at Benny Boyd (a plug) in Lampassas, Tx. These folks had the best deal out of the three places I contacted and they always followed up with phone calls and emails. They did not push me to take what they had on the lot and we did not have to haggle over the price. These folks were the ones to tell me that I was better off ordering what I wanted. They go 1% over invoice and the invoice price was a bit cheaper than the TMV price on Edmunds.

I wanted to wait till the 15th and order an Amber Fire, but that color was no longer available. Kind of spoiled the idea of the 15th (mid life crisis birthday present) so I decided to see what they could find for me.

Nothing really flicked my Bic in what was out there so I figured why not order now. Maybe I can get the vehicle in time to nab the extended warranty and any cash incentives that might be available in May.

Here is what I ordered.

Sienna Pearl Sport (maybe to dark for the TX sun)
    brown soft top (maybe cooler than a black top)
    brown interior
    5 speed transmission
    air
    dana44 rear axle
    trac loc
    standard tires and wheels
    am/fm/cd
    sentry key
    steering box skid plate(to be installed by dealer)

Invoice for me was $21,010 without the skid plate included. They toss on their 1% plus TT&L to come up with I am figuring to be less than $23,000. If I can tack some cash incentives on to that I will be real happy.

The only option they asked me about that I was sure I did not want was cruise control. I was told it would really help on resale. My comment was for them to look at the 12 year old truck that I am driving and decide if I am worried about resale. No pushing any extras on me. I like that.

I went with stock tires and wheels, because I intend to swap them out the first week or so.

I went to a national tire chain store that I will not mention by name (but I think their name should be Not Such A Discount Since You Can Buy Them Cheaper At Sears, But We Do It All Here Tires) on Saturday. The BFG Mud KM 31 inch tires on American Racing Wheels 15X8 AR767 wheels with the life time balancing and rotation, center hubs, 5 locking lug nuts, chrome lug nuts for all the wheels, installation, etc will run me around $1122. That is with no extended road hazard warranty which I figure I will pass on. Going to go with that since no one around here will offer more than $25 a tire for brand spanking new tires with less than 10 miles on them. I really did not want the GSA tires and I thought it made more sense to get the Dana44 by itself and put the cash difference into the tires I was going to buy later.

So that is my story and just remember that I am a mean little toad.

I have always been told that payback is a medavac, so I am now looking back over my shoulder.

Later this week I will call DC to start the tracking process. I am hoping by Memorial Day that I can be in my TJ headed up to Oklahoma to find some mud. I know I can find sand, but I am not sure how wet the winter has been.

That is it for now from the soon to be in debt Oceantoad.
    Man, you really did it! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I absolutely love that sienna color! And, although I am stuck on black for the top color on any other body color, I think the tan top looks better on sienna than black does. Well, maybe on dark green too.

That is gonna be a beautiful Jeep! Already gettin mods, too! You don't mess around, Toad Man!

KEEP US POSTED!

Tom

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Thanx for the CB idea...
    I believe that my goal for this year for a CB radio..
    My dad was a HUGH CB radio guy...
    Now I wish I didnt sell all of his equipment now..
    Ohh well...That means i get NEW stuff

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    hey..has anyone ever looked at jeeperandcreepers.com they have a good selection of CB's and stuff for our jeeps...
    I think someone else mentioned it in the past

Bama
    I went with the direct battery hook up, but it was close to dark, and I ran out of time before I could get the thing working. I must not have made a good connection somewhere, because the unit will not power up.

I'll fool with it some more tomorrow, and maybe my rack will be here then too.

Thanks for the input to all of you guys who chipped in with some advice.

Jptj, I swear they left out those extra wires on my Jeep! I looked EVERYWHERE for them, and I felt around where I couln't see! NO WIRES! But, apparently a direct connection to the battery is better anyway.

Tom

You done gone and bought an old Fairlane? Looks great! Got a 390 engine?
    Congrats! I knew you wouldn't dare get a Tracker - not with the goats!

Thanks for the idea of ordering the Dana44 and standard tires. I'm thinking of getting a second Wrangler but want something I can put chains on, if needed. In my mind I kept equating the Dana44 with the 30" wheel group. I'm also considering a Forester, which on paper seems so much more practical for a primary car for us. But I sure wouldn't mind a jeep.

Did yours come with the sound bar? That is the one thing I really regret not getting.

I really like the Sienna color. I don't think its that dark for Texas - especially with the brown top. I'm thinking of a white or green Wrangler with the brown top. Black is a great looking color, but not for So. Cal. or CenTex, either.
  • wranglerchuckwranglerchuck Member Posts: 3
    Thanks all,
    It is coming from the drive line, so I'll look into the shims. I can't tell if it's in the front or rear axle, so I'll have to use some "Southern Border" ingenuity to find the source.

Toad, yes BP! 13 years now
  • reeferreefer Member Posts: 37
    DC announced a recall of Jeep Wranglers made from June 2000 to December 2001 to replace the ignition switch that can short out and cause a fire. Letters go out later this month. Great huh?
    YESTERDAY was April Fools Day! Tell me you are kidding! ?

Tom

• davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    It doesn't have a 390 in it yet...
    I was really looking for a 4WD Yugo, but no luck.

The Sport does come with the sound bar which has two speakers in it. There are two more speakers, where, I don't know. They also have an option that gives you a total of seven speakers, but I have no idea where they are located. Most of the time I don't have my radio on. I make the 240 mile trip to Oklahoma most of the time without the radio and by myself (didn't say that I don't talk to myself or other drivers).

I would have gone with the X instead of the Sport except you can not get the Dana44 in the X. I might never have any need for the Dana44, but I would prefer to have it. The Dana44 is a whole lot cheaper purchased separately. Later I want to go with 32 inch tires and a couple of inches of lift so I figure the Dana44 might come in handy then. Most of my miles will be on road, but I figured get it factory instead of adding it later.

Two Wranglers might not be such a bad idea if you don't carry friends along with you (make the friends drive their car). For me I want a small truck for that stuff that gets thrown in the bed, but you could always use a Wrangler to pull a small trailer for those things that need to be hauled. We also have two dogs that weigh about 50 pounds which I figure is no big deal, but I am not sure about our Great Pyrenees that slobbers all the time. My roomie started talking about a Wrangler also, but I have pushed her back to getting a vehicle that can haul at least 5000 pounds. I do like the idea of having two Wranglers, it would be pretty neat.

I like the white color, but I have a problem washing my vehicles. I tend to do the drive through type wash, but I have a feeling that might not be so wise in a soft top. I have not hand washed a vehicle in years so maybe the darker color will not show road grime as quickly as white.

Are you any closer to getting an Alpaca?

In the future I will let you know how it works out taking the Great Pyrenees to the vet. I think it will be wet to say the least.
    That sienna will definitely show dirt. White or silver are about the best colors for NOT showing dirt. Seems like most stuff that gets on a vehicle is light in color, so a dark vehicle just makes it show more.

Go get yourself a bucket, some car wash detergent, mitt, etc., and be a good daddy to that Jeep and keep her looking good!

Tom

• markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32
    Are you smoking some? The recall you mentioned is for GM cars, not Jeeps... If I'm missing something, please let me know as I'm sure others on this board would like to be informed.

Toad- Congrats on the new Jeep- I've had mine for about 3 weeks and LOVE IT!!! I can't wait for the snow to stop in Chicago (it's April, right?) so I can take the top down and pull the doors off. For now, I'll just be thankful that the heater works well- the soft top is quite a bit warmer than I anticipated.

Happy Jeepin!

Pat
    I don't think the Great Pyrenees will be that big of a deal. One time I watched a Great Dane fold himself into the space behind the front seats of a MG or similar sized 2 seater sports car! Compared to that the Great Pyrenees will have lots of room! There was some discussion a while ago about securing a dog since I would guess you wouldn't be transporting him with the windows on! Now are you planning on moving all 3 dogs at once? That might be tight for a long trip - my Golden takes up half the back when he lies down (and I took out the back seat a long time ago).

I'm not too concerned about having a clean vehicle. My Wrangler is black and shows everything. Since mine is a hard top I just take it through a car wash every so often - what they use there are much softer than the branches on trees and brush that I often drive through. I figure a white one can't look much worse than the black, and anyway, it is a jeep - they are supposed to be dirty!

Not any closer to an Alpaca - it will probably stay just a dream until I can retire. One of my friends has a dairy goat and is trying to decide whether she should try breeding dairy goats or just breed hers to a meat type male and sell the offspring. Her kid this year is so cute - I don't think I would be any good breeding meat animals...
    According to the radio last night, there is a recall on Wranglers made in 2000-2001. Since mine isn't that new, I didn't pay attention to the months involved. There were several recalls mentioned in the broadcast.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I heard it on the radio for Wranglers also.

What does Sienna look like? Is it brown, tan, beige (is beige the same as tan?), or what?

Anyone have a picture?
    It's maroon, I guess would be the best way to describe it. It's really nice.

tom

MTNGAL- The first thing to go when I get the TJ will be the back seat and then the tires. Still trying to figure out where to store the seat.

The three dogs will never travel together. The Pyr stays out with the goats and doesn't have any manners. Leaving the dog alone and not giving her lots of attention is one of the hardest things I have had to do. I am a real animal person. I don't mess with selling the goats, that is the roomie that takes them to market or sells for barbecues.

TSJAY- I just don't know if I can force myself to buy materials for washing the Jeep. I have really tender hands. I will give it a covered place to sleep, feed it name brand gas and oil, take care of mechanical problems and only abuse it on a limited basis. I am not sure on a name, but I was thinking Lucille when I was shooting for Amber Fire (named after Lucille Ball). The roomie has suggested Ruby or Garnet. I am thinking Erik The Red or The Toad Mobile.

ANONYMOUS02- Tsjay was pretty much on the money when he called sienna a maroon. I saw the color a couple of months ago and that is what I remember. I looked at the color chip that they had at the dealers in their book and it was almost a dark brown with reddish tints. Your guess is as good as mine at this stage. Not sight unseen, but darn close.

MARKWARREN66- Thanks. You know I have seen pictures of this snow thing that you are talking about, but that is about it. Today was cooler than normal, but I think we still hit about a temperature of 67. The dealer I went through sells mainly hard tops because the people are concerned about the noise, weather is not a problem here. I think it might be fun to play in the snow every once in a while, but not as much as you guys get up north. Hope you have a blast when it warms up and you can go topless. I used to run with no doors, but I never got around to folding down the windshield. I guess that is about as necked (yes necked) as you could get. Warm weather with no top or doors, I am willing to bet a dollar that you will love it.
    Mine is in the spare bedroom, next to the chest freezer, near the washer and dryer (my spare bedroom is multi-purpose. It also has a queen sized bed in it). I put it back in the jeep last spring when we took the Wrangler to Canada (we had a third rider for about 4 hours at one point), then didn't bother taking it out again until a month or two later when I found myself at my Mom's house with more stuff than I could carry with the seat tumbled forward, so it spent a month or two in her garage in Vegas. I finally gave into her pleading for me to move it, but if it had been up to me, I would have left it there.

By the way, I do assume that you are planning on traveling with either the dogs or luggage, but not both without a trailer. I find when we go to Vegas we have room for very little luggage if we have the dog.

I don't ever remember folding down the windshield when I was driving OD green jeeps. I do remember putting up the hood so that it covered the windshield when we were out in the field (sun reflection on the glass), and chaining the steering wheel because they didn't have ignition keys - and (if I remember correctly) my foot was almost too small to put the clutch in and hit the starter! Those were the days...
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    This is from www.safetyalerts.com, in case you had not heard.

DaimlerChrysler Has Recalled the 2001 Jeep Wrangler

DaimlerChrysler Has Recalled the 2001 Jeep Wrangler because water and impurities can enter into the ignition switch causing a
    short circuit.

Potential Number of Units Affected: 95000

Manufactured: 06/2000 - 12/2001

Defect Summary:
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. WATER AND IMPURITIES CAN ENTER INTO THE IGNITION SWITCH CAUSING A SHORT CIRCUIT.

Consequence Summary:
    THIS COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE FIRE.

Corrective Summary:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH WITH A REDESIGNED SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN APRIL 8, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE
    THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE
    TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 02V075000.
    http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/02/v00128.htm
    Got my VON today along with a partial VIN. Called DC and they told me my order was in D1 status with the week of the 15th scheduled for the build. Things seem to be rolling along at this stage. Things might be going so fast now that I will not be able to slap some extra money down like I wanted to do.

I guess there is no pleasing me.
    Put a toilet in that spare bedroom and rent it out as an apartment. Sounds like it has all a person would need as long as it has cable.

When I travel to Oklahoma I fly solo with just my "stuff". The people I stay with (the wife) do not like dogs. If the two 50 pound hounds are with me, it will just be local type trips (McDonalds for breakfast burritos). The Pyr will travel to the vet and that will be it.

I work out on West Ft. Hood and today had to go over to the MP station on main post (no I am not in trouble, they haven't caught me). I counted 28 Wranglers over on main post and I am sure there were more since I was driving and could not rubberneck a whole bunch. I saw a real nice CJ5 painted purple, chrome bumpers, lift, etc out on Clarke Rd. (do you remember where that is?). The only problem with the CJ5 was that it was at the wrong end of a tow strap.

Now I know why the dealer in town did not want my business, he has all the soldiers going there.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I see Wranglers all over Camp Pendleton whenever I drive through it. It's kind of ironic that the U.S. military abandoned its classic military transport in favor of the humvee a couple decades back but all of the enlisted guys still drive the civilian version as their personal transport. My sister tells me that some of the older officers still like to be driven around in Jeeps so she does see one now and again, just like you see the occasional postal Jeep delivering mail.

I wonder if the Pentagon ever considers buying some Jeeps again. Humvees seem like such overkill much of the time. I know there has to be a need for smaller, more agile vehicles to supplement the Humvee.
    goducks1 - lets not be limiting the Wranglers to just enlisted - some of us officers drive them too!

oceantoad - I remember West Ft. Hood - I was assigned to a battalion out there. It might have moved onto main post - there was only one company that had aircraft. I used to drive back road through it that eventually went into the (more or less) ghost town of Briggs, and met up with the main road into Austin. I don't remember where Clarke Rd. is, but then, I left the area in '86 and I get hazy about things (can't remember the county road designation of that back road, and I used it a bunch). We also would haul the horses over to the maneuver areas and ride in all that open land around there. Fond memories of what is now a by-gone era for me.
  • huckhillhuckhill Member Posts: 20
    I took a test drive a couple of weeks ago and when we wrote up the order, just for pricing, the ambire fire came up no problem. Now you have me concerned. I checked the Jeep web page and so far, ambire fire is still up as an option.

I was told that I would have to order by the end of May or wait until the factory would again accept orders in September. Retooling for the '03?

There was no pressure and this dealership prefers you to order. They keep only a few TJ's on the lot for test drives. He said that he had not been told of any major changes for the '03, but admitted that the dealers were sometimes the last to find out.

I also looked at the Forester. Reliable, five seater, decent engine and performance, some light off-road capability and good gas milage. But, I do not see myself getting excited about driving it. Everytime I hopped up into my old CJ, I felt the same excitement. I looked for any excuse to drive it.
    You weren't in the 15th MI Bn were you? They were the fixed wing Mochickens (Mohawks) that were phased out in the last part of the 80's. The 15th of April in 85 or 86 they reconstituted and formed B Co which had the Guardrail birds and I was the 4th or 5th person in the unit. I was in the 303rd MI Bn and also HHD of the 504th MI Group from late 84 through mid 86.

Don't tell me we where in the same unit at the same time.

They did have some dust off birds out here, but I don't know who they belonged to.

Do you remember TCATA now TEXCOM? They were up in the area of the 303rd barracks. That is where I work.

Clarke Rd was the main drag up past the pool, chapel, gas station and then under 190. If you continued on under 190 you could hang a right and go up toward the PX area.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Mtngal--no offense meant to the officers. My sister is a Marine captain and always admired my Jeep, though she drives a Grand Am unfortunately. Or drove one at least--she sold it after getting reassigned to Okinawa last month.
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Hey tsjay, I just read your web page about how you came to buy a Jeep. I particularly enjoyed your poem:) I bought a 2001 Honda Civic in may of 2001. Every time I passed a Jeep my thoughts raced "why didn't I buy that?". "Snap out of it stupid, you just bought a car." "No, I have to get out of this thing and just go for it". "You can't, you'll lose your shirt", etc, etc. Well, 2 months ago my impractical side finally gave in and I ordered a 2002 Steel blue se 5 speed. I love my Jeep but...! Argh, I hate to admit this but the 4 cylinder is just a dog in my area. There are simply too many hills. So after another wrestling match with myself I've decided to sell her (at just 800 miles) and get into an X model. How's that for trading quickly? On a related side note, my Jeep's msrp is 19,120/ invoice is 18,150 and I am willing to sell it for 16,300. Good deal? So far I have had no takers but the dealership will only give 14,000 so that is not an option. Any advice? Thanks for listening, I just thought I'd share my story.
    I wanted the Amber Fire, but when I checked on some options during the last week of March it came up as restricted at the dealer.

On Monday the 1st I went to the dealer, Benny Boyd in Lampassas, Tx (a plug} and had them run the color again. It came up restricted again so I went ahead and ordered a Sport in another color.

I was going to call DC about the reason for the restriction, but I caved and didn't bother. It might be possible that the Amber Fire will be back in 03, but I was not willing to wait that long or take the chance it would not be available. My dealer has no idea for the reason that the color is restricted.

You should call your dealer and have them get on their PC. It only takes a couple minutes of their time and they should be able to tell you about the color.

Not being pressured by the dealer is great. It has been a while since I have bought a new car and this time was sure different. I am not in to haggling about prices and would rather be told how much. If I don't like the price I can always go to a different dealer.

The Internet has also made quite a difference when you can go to a place like Edmunds (a plug) and find all the options, prices, tests, driver evaluations, etc.

This time I did not feel like I had been an unwilling sex partner with a sales person.

What year CJ did you have? Mine was a 76 CJ5 with the 258, 3 speed, no back seat or ash tray and cigarette lighter, and full canvas doors. I bought it new in Wilmington, N.C. All I have to do is look at the padded dash on the new vehicles to realize they have come a long way. The test drive was also pretty amazing as far as comfort.

Hope that you can get what you want, but for me it was a no go.
    Guess what - I was the S4 of the 163d MI Bn when you were there ('85-87). We supported the 15th MI Bn because it wasn't at full strength at the time, but as far as I remember they still had mohawks. I haven't thought about the 504th in YEARS! I never thought I would forget about the organization, but I have - I vaguely remember knowing people in the 303d and HHD 504th, but couldn't come up with names or faces. Did you remember the brigade runs on the airfield?

I remember TCATA - I had a friend who worked there. I remember her telling me that everyone used to complain about the cows leaving little piles in the parking lot. The Army's way of fixing the problem was to paint lines on the driveway, simulating a cattle guard (appropriate for that unit). It did work for about 3 days. I was going to mention it since it was the last military organization on the back road out to Austin, but couldn't remember the exact initials, and certainly couldn't remember the name. At the time she was working with the Bradleys.

Such a small world!!!!

To get back to Wranglers, since it will be a while before we have time to do anything about the Taco, I get to drive the Wrangler as a daily-driver. The seats are so much more comfortable!
    Enjoyed your post. Man that is a total shame that you didn't get what you really wanted when you got your Jeep! I'm really sorry to hear that.

I also considered the SE model when it looked like there was no earthly way to get a Sport, but after a test drive, I knew that I couldn't live with the 2.5 L four banger. I drive too much on the highway for one of those. I decided to hold out for the Sport with the 4.0 L inline six.

I wish you the best of luck in selling it, so that you can get your "new" new Jeep. Considering the super low miles on your current Jeep, I think your asking price is reasonable. Make use of Edmunds and run that puppy through the used car price guide.

Glad you liked Thelma Jane's web page. That poem of mine was really based on fact! Well, I didn't rob the 401 K (considered it), but I did have to take out a home equity loan to clear up some of the debt on my trade-in, since I was $8000 upside down. :)

Tom

http://www.members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

• ispygatorispygator Member Posts: 14
    Hey ya'll, haven't been around in a while...just caught up on a couple hundred posts.

1) At 6' 7", there are VERY few vehicles I can a) sit up straight in and b) even remotely afford that also meet item 1)a).

The Wrangler DEFINITELY fills the bill on both accounts. However, as another visitor posted, all that padding on the dash told him/her that Jeeps had changed/improved. True enough, but it also took out TONS of knee space that my old CJ7 had. Bottom line for me, is that its a great run around town 2nd set of wheels, but because of leg/knee room looooonnnng trips would be difficult.

2) Based on the end of 1) above, and not doing much more than 30 minute trips (rarely over 55 MPH, the auto tranny is great. I would much prefer the mileage improvement with the 5 speed manual over a 3 speed auto, but, manchester road in st. louis county burb's isn't very manual shift friendly. And the auto makes the better half happy with kids in their rocket ship seats in the back.

Both transmissions have their definite advantages over the other. Give an honest evaluation of your needs, driving style, driving environment, and wants. Then get it; don't let someone else tell you you're making a mistake if you don't get the manual/auto. I miss my old stick Accord & CJ7, but at my current place in life, the auto is just right. And I didn't say I wasn't getting lazy either ;-}

Keep on Jeep'n!