Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Now the big question: what kind of mileage might owners expect??

I really don't think they needed a bigger engine. Just adding the 6-speed alone to the 3.5 would have helped tremendously in both performance, smoothness, and economy. Now that they've added a half liter for a lousy 5 hp, I'm guessing the mileage hasn't improved at all.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• anniecanniec Member Posts: 8
    Hey Fenn,

Hope I'm not too late to help out. I have a 2004 AWD Pacifica and I love it. I specifically wanted AWD because I had heard of problems with wet-road handling with FWD, we have driven ours through mountain snow and flooding freeways and it handles beautifully. It does not drive like a truck at all. I looked long and hard for an AWD in the colors I wanted but it was worth it.

Gas mileage is rotten, from my perspective. On nice long flat freeways trips we get 20-22, but in the city or on steep mountain roads expect more like 14-16.

I bought a used 2004 Pac but I made sure I got a late-year model. My Pac was made in 12-03 and I've had no problems - I bought it at 30K miles (and made sure there were no gremlins in its history) and I've put 20K more on it in the last 15 months. If you can find a good one, the late-year 2004s are a great deal.
    :)
  • fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    Now the big question: what kind of mileage might owners expect??
    Pacificas weigh about 5000 lbs with a full tank of gas and a driver and have full time AWD. Of course they get bad mileage.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    You shouldn't use the words "full time" next to the words "AWD", because it's confusing.

All AWD systems are NOT "full time" because they are actually FWD systems, except when the front wheels slip. In this situation some power will be sent to the rear wheels. So AWD systems are simple systems, pretty fragile, not intended for serious offroading. They are NOT "full time".

Examples: cars like Subaru Legacy, Volvo Cross Country, etc. Pacifica's powertrain is a car powertrain (300, Magnum), not a truck powertrain.

On the other side, 4WD systems (not AWD) can be "full time". With these systems the engine power is sent to all 4 wheels all the time, slippage detected or not. Those trucks have three sturdy differentials to achieve that. They are extremely sturdy, but the gas consumption suffers.

Examples: trucks like Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4 Runner etc. I think the Nissan Pathfinder got a 4WD in the last version too.

If you see snow less than one month per year, and you live in a city where the snow is removed, I think the AWD (or the 4WD) are a waste of money when you buy it, waste of money when you pay for gas, and waste of money when you have to fix it. I used to say that the most reliable AWD system is the one you don't have at all. If you don't have it, it can't break right ???
  • kcbakerkcbaker Member Posts: 8
    I am about to get my front drivers and passenger windows
    tinted to match the middle and rear windows as many of
    you have already done. I think that it really completes
    the look of the Pac.

My question is....Does anyone know what level (percentage)
    of tint is required to MATCH the factory tint???

I'm sure that my window tint guy can figure it out, but
    if I can already have the info for him that might help
    out the process.

Thanks!!
  • nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    You may want to check your local laws regarding the level of tint allowed in the front row. It may be illegal. That's probably why Chrysler never tints the front windows the same as the rear. I love the rear tint on the Pac. It really keeps the interior cool and has a nice limo look to it.
    I'm overseas and will be for quite some time. So I'm not
    worried about the states laws. No limit here. I'm not
    going limo black!! haha I did that on my Dakota Sport!
    Looks great but I have to roll down the windows to use my
    side mirrors!! haha
    You seem to be missing my point.

Besides, for what it is, I don't think the current mileage is all that horrible. BUT, with more gears, it could be better.

What I'm saying is, unless this new 4.0 is more efficient than the 3.5, I would prefer to see Chrysler stick with the 3.5 and add the tranny with more gears. This alone will increase performance AND increase mileage (at least on the highway). By giving us a bigger engine, they might be negating the mileage increase that the extra gears could have provided.

I'm not complaining about the current vehicle's mileage, but I am noting my concern in regards to Chrylser's decision to increase engine displacement in a time when shoppers are looking for increased economy.

IF, by some chance, this new bigger engine is more efficient than the 3.5, then we can forget my concerns and I can look forward to the benefits of the new drivetrain.

By the way, just because its big, heavy, and AWD, it does not HAVE to get bad mileage. Because its big, heavy, AWD, and uses only a gasoline internal-combustion engine to propel it ... then yes, it won't be stellar.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    By the way, just because its big, heavy, and AWD, it does not HAVE to get bad mileage. Because its big, heavy, AWD, and uses only a gasoline internal-combustion engine to propel it ... then yes, it won't be stellar.
    I assume that you are talking about diesel or hybrids.
    If the vehicle is lighter, all other things being equal the vehicle should get better mileage. If there is less parasitic drag (2 wd vs AWD) all other things being equal, the vehicle should get better mileage. What the mileage actually is is not material. The fact is that lighter vehicles with 2 wheel drive will get better mileage than heavier vehicle with AWD, all other factors being equal.
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    I can't wait to drive one! The only other things I wish Chrysler had done would be a larger (lower) rear window and larger (or two) moonroofs. I tend to agree with gbrozen about the 3.5 vs. 4.0. The 3.5 has been a great engine with zero problems and a six-speed may have been all it needed. But if Chrysler has done everything right with the 4.0, the Pacifica will be a no-brainer for anyone looking for a vehicle in its class. The lower engine noise of the 4.0 at higher speeds/lower gear situations alone could make the engine worth it. The excessive noise of the 3.5 during hard accleration is my only complaint with the engine. The dual exhaust of the 4.0 will be the icing on the cake.
  • tristan1tristan1 Member Posts: 39
    kcbaker, The perfect matching tint is 20%. I put 30% just on the driver and passenger side and can't hardly tell the difference. I have 20% all around on my maxima and it's hard to park/drive at night specially when it's raining. I have some pics in photo gallery if you wanna check the tint. :shades:
    I am kinda new to this forum. How do I see your pics?

Thanks for the info. So if I put 30% on them as you did
    I should be good to go??!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Posts on NAV systems have been moved to the Chrysler Pacifica NAV System Questions discussion.

Please remember to use the appropriate discussions for the topics you're posting about. Old habits ARE hard to break, but we'll get there!
    I've moved some posts on audio questions to the Chrysler Pacifica: Audio & Entertainment Systems discussion.
    yes, i am referring to hybrid and/or diesel.

or just plain old "more efficient." (like not using a 4-speed auto in this vehicle, as i've said many times already.)

There was a mix up this morning and this main Pacifica discussion got knocked out of kilter. We apologize for any inconvenience this caused with anyone's tracking of the discussion.
    Most of this will seem self-explanatory, but we're learning new tricks as we move away from large, one size fits all discussions where every subject for a vehicle comes up, and towards smaller, more focused discussions. This will help make it easier for folks to find the information they want from a quick glance at th discussion list, rather than having to dig through several thousand posts in a large discussion like this one has become.

Some of the new discussions you'll see include:

Chrysler Pacifica - this where we are now. General comments about the vehicle and newcomers will be most of the posting here, and I'll probably do a fair amount of directing folks to more specific discussions and moving posts to their proper places.

New Pacifica Owners - Give Us Your Report - if you're a new Pacifica owner and want to crow about your purchase, this would be the place to do so. As issues come up with your Pacifica, you'll want to head into one of the specific discussions for that issue or problem.

Chrysler Pacifica: Audio & Entertainment Systems - stereo questions, CD's DVD, ipods, MP3 players, speakers... anything that has to do with your entertainment system can be discussed here.

Chrysler Pacifica: MPG-Real World Numbers - with the price of gas, who's NOT worried about the mileage you're getting? Report your on the road mileage performance here.

Chrysler Pacifica: Starting/Stalling Problems - having trouble getting started or keeping it running? Work out a solution in this topic!

Chrysler Pacifica Test Drive - What Did You Think? - If you're not quite an owner yet, but have taken a test drive or rented a Pacifica, this is the place to give us YOUR review of the vehicle!

Chrysler Pacifica NAV System Questions - Me, I still use a map ;) but these NAV gizmos are pretty neat too! If you need help or want to share some advice about NAV systems for the Pacifica, take the next left to this discussion.

I'm sure that more subjects will warrant their own discussions over time. If you don't see a discussion on the list in the Chrysler Pacifica Group that you think we need to be talking about, please feel free to click on my username and drop me an email or create it yourself. (We can "detail" it later if need be ;) )
    yer audio link is still to the main discussion

DOH! Nice catch! :surprise:

Here's the correct link:

Chrysler Pacifica: Audio & Entertainment Systems

Thanks for the assist. Sometimes after looking at those URLs for a couple of hours, they all start to blend together!
  • tristan1tristan1 Member Posts: 39
    kcbaker, My pics are on the main pacifica forum under pacifica ownwers-photo gallery it should be on last post. Just click on the glowing red link.

You should be ok with 30% IMO. Just choose a good quality film and a reputable place.
  • davidd5davidd5 Member Posts: 79
    Just a quick note for you all. The top gear ratio with the six speed will be the same as the four speed. The 2 new gears will be used as 1st and 3rd. It will actually have 7 forward gaers. 1-6. There is actually 2 4th gears. On kick down [6-4]the 4th gear is a differnent ratio then 4th used in 1,2,3,4,5,6.
    good grief!

thanks for the info, though.

Will the differential be the same ratio, too?

• davidd5davidd5 Member Posts: 79
    Good question. I do not know for fact,but would suppect it will be the same. Chrysler has not provided us with any info for that. :(
    I just contacted my local dealer and they informed me that the 2007 Pacificas are on "emissions hold" here in California. I hope Chyrsler didn't blow it by not sticking with the proven 3.5 engine.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks longtime loyal Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep buyers who want the company to build a subcompact model or two. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 20, 2006 with a few relevant comments and your daytime contact info.
  • frankenberryfrankenberry Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2004 Pacifica with 20,000 the only problem I've noticed is a clicking/popping sound when turning the wheel while parking. It seems to happen when you back out and then go ahead, but only for a few seconds. Not real familiar with this site but noticed several similar complaints but no real solutions. Can you help me out. Thanks
    This was a common problem with the 2004. Take it in to a Chrysler dealer and they should know the TSBs to take care of it. Mine was fixed and there hasn't been a sound since.
  • protocol_droidprotocol_droid Member Posts: 6
    I've got an 05 with halogen. Just found some 06 HID's on ebay. I know I need the PDM as per your earlier posts. I need to know how to find part#'s for the PDM either for the 04, 05 or 06. Are they the same? Just want to know which one to get.
    What is TSB's. Can you be more specific on the fix, sometimes you have to coach these dealers. Was there a cost, mine still is on warranty and I bought an extended warranty?
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    The PDM part number for the 06 is 5082789AH. The one for the 05 is 5082789AF. The one for the 04 (to 10/31/03) is 4727987AD and from 11/1/03 is 5082054AA.

If your vehicle is an 05, I would get the PDM for that year. Hope it's helpful!
  • protocol_droidprotocol_droid Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the part #'s. Does the PDM need to be reprogrammed or can I just swap this thing out myself...it does look like it's only a few clip plugs and that's it.

THanks for the reply!!
    My understanding is that it could be done by yourself and it's a simple swap ~ however, knowing the risk that you're taking concerning the whole electrical system, I would ask the dealer to do it! I surely did!
    Well, it looks like Chrysler has finally owned up to the fact that there is a problem with their Fuel Pump Module (FPM) and/or the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and has issued a Safety Recall (F44).

Basically it's saying that they would need to reprogram the PCM and/or replace the FPM, depending on when the vehicle was built.

Now, all those owners who have had this problem with the engine cutting out when slowing down or turning must finally feel vindicated!
  • vic_vinylevic_vinyle Member Posts: 34
    :) Everyone: for specific info on this recall, go to :

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

and enter the year and model of your Pacifica. My 2006 was not affected by the recall since it was built after Nov 2005.
    :shades:
    thanks!
    Just curious ~ Where does it say in the recall that PAC made after November 2005 is exempt?
    From my post #1604: The clicking sound on my 2004 AWD was eliminated early in 2005 by the replacement of the Power Transfer Unit (PTU). It is covered by TSB 21-011-04. My Pac has been completely quiet since then. It was done at no cost.
    just received this notice in the mail yesterday. It doesn't specify build dates, it just says "some '05 and '06 Pacificas."

What worries me is that it reads there may be a problem with "the fuel pump and/or PCM." Now, does this mean they don't know what the problem is or there are 2 problems and you may be affected by one or both??

I read the below datasheet:

6255110 -- Remedy Instructions and TSB ( 482.51 KB)

It is a link on their website and it states that it is for about 127,900 vehicles with:

MDH070800 THROUGH 112400 built through Nov 25, 2005.
    :shades:

I am guessing that is part of the VIN number.

Vic
  • turbanskiturbanski Member Posts: 85
    Can anyone tell me (milage wise)when the stalling problem shows up? I have a 2005 AWD touring with 15,000 miles that has never stalled out or even hesitated, hot or cold engine. According to the build plate my 2005 was built in August of 2004 and I leased it in December. I don't want to fix something that's not broken.

Thanks, Tom U.
    I'm with you in that I've never had a problem.

I don't believe it has anything to do with miles. I seem to recall seeing people post with the problem with low miles.

However, I do want to have it checked for the problem at my next service visit because I don't want to risk it happening one day while pulling out into traffic.

• turbanskiturbanski Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for responding. I will have it checked out. I'm due for NYS Inspection this month anyway.

Tom U.
  • 04pacman04pacman Member Posts: 23
    About a month and a half ago I had service performed at the Dodge dealership I bought my Pac from after I was feeling a lot of vibration when rpms hit about 1500 rpms. They ended up changing a Motor/tranny mount and insulator; they said it was torn in half. I also had them do an oil change, changing to 5w/30 for winter. Well I've run thru a couple of complete tanks of gas, about 1,400 miles, and my fuel mileage is still really bad and I'm driving it the same way. Before, according to the trip computer, I was getting an average of 19+ MPG, now I'm about 16.9 to 17.2 Average MPG.:cry: Doesn't seem like much, but I do a lot of driving, about 25,000+ miles a year. I've run thru three full tanks using "Lucas" fuel treatment thinking that maybe the injectors needed cleaning and so on. My Pac has about 42,000 miles. Please help... Any Ideas of what it might be? Anyone know if the fuel-savers on EBay work? :confuse:
    Mileage always suffer in the winter. Several reasons for it.

The fuel formulation changes to meet Government requirements which drops fuel economy.

Colder weather is not optimum for great gas mileage. 70 degree air is perfect....20 degree air is not.

thanks
  • 04pacman04pacman Member Posts: 23
    This was happening before the weather changed and it was also a sudden change, like someone flipped a light switch, not a gradual change like most winters. I'm just wondering if maybe it was something with the repair work, the service manager said the tech had a heck of a time getting the mount out, or if maybe I need to change a fuel filter, which I'm trying to locate (I think they put it in the gas tank). Just trying to get more info of what it may be before I go back to the service shop.
    Makes you wonder if there was some type of friction going on that could affect mileage? Or, some type of wiring that was disturbed that prevents it from operating correctly or going into overdrive as required?

thanks

Vic
  • tgrandatgranda Member Posts: 1
    Well!!! Where do I start. I would say my first mistake was buying my 2004 AWD Pacifica. Front transfer case replacement was #1. Snap ring on the reverse gear in transmission broke (REPAIR TRANSMISSION )#2. Replace ATC (TWICE +A FEW FUSES)#3. Front brake rotors at 6000 miles #4. Cannot open sun roof, actually sucked headliner off the roor of the car. Repairs were Glue and valcro back in place & recomended not to open sun roof all the way #5. Cannot open rear windows the thumping noise will brake your ear drums, Again, told not to open windows thats why you have A/C #6. You never know when it's going to start, No answer for this one other than I don't know how to start the car #7. Cannot leave the keys in the ignition in the off position you never know when all four doors will be locked on you, and radio playing #8. I'm told by the service rep that i'm one of the very few owners that have problems with the Pacifica. All comments and suggestions welcome.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I have a 2006 FWD Pacifica with 34,000 miles. During a recent trip to South Carolina from Ohio, the car developed a hesitation at 30 mph on slight uphill grades. I thought that I might have picked up some bad gas so I tried the dry gas and fuel injection cleaner route with no success. It is intermittent, and when I took the car to my Chrysler dealer, he was unable to duplicate the problem. I always use the recommended 89 octane fuel. Could I have a fuel injector that is partially plugged?
    sounds like you got a lemon.

When I have my climate control set to floor mode so much hot air comes out the side window demister outlets that it makes me nauseous. Is there anyway to turn them off?