Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 2006

Comments

• mcp6530mcp6530 Member Posts: 11
    Alrighty, hit a big pothole, tire went flat, towed into pontiac, that will be $1,200 sir. Thanks so much.
    Any suggestions? Found a website that has it for $353.88 18x8 . part number aly06592u80.
    sound legit to you guys? dealer wants 750 for the wheel, online can get it for 350. too good to be true?
    help!!!
    thanks
  • dblducedblduce Member Posts: 58
    Check for wheels on Ebay. I've seen multiple auctions for individual or sets of original wheels for GXP's.

My dealer said that a lot of people go online to tirerack.com, etc, and buy new wheels and tires to have a "second" set to be used for snow, etc. you could buy 4 new wheels for approx. $1200. Definately shop around before buying from the dealer.
  • mcp6530mcp6530 Member Posts: 11
    Both of my power outlets are not functioning and I can't seem to locate the fuse for them. I have the manual, but it isn't clearly marked anywhere in there. Does anyone know the location of the fuses for these power sources?
    Thank you.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    My 60 year old father is considering an '07 Silver GXP with 16k miles on it. What kind of problems have been had with this vehicle? He has a '98 GP GT with 190k on it right now, and it seems like it's in the shop at least once a month, and now needs a new transmission, again. Put one in last year at 160k. According to consumer reports, the GXP isn't rated well. He and I both have looked over and driven this car, nothing seems to be wrong with it right now. Also, he's already been quoted a price of $23,900 straight sale. It's loaded with everything but the navigation. What do you guys think?
  • jehu75jehu75 Member Posts: 6
    How is the change in your tire size working out? Has it affected your ABS/Traction Control/Speedometer etc. Goodyear is coming out with FI All Season that are Z rated and match both sizes.
    I am replacing tires, as well. It has been a nightmare, as I want all-season performance tires that match both front and back. I live where it snows.

Just today, I found out on the Goodyear site that they will be rolling out Z rated F1 tires July 1st, that match BOTH front and back.

Since the Z rating is just below the W, and the GXP is limited to 143, that they might work. My only concern, since they have a 420 rating, that I will lose significant handling from the 050's. Any thoughts?
    Drove my GXP at 95-110 mph from Wichita to Salt Lake City - 17.something mpg.
    I've had my GXP just over 140 a couple of times in rural Utah. It was stable as a rock.
    The tires have been working out great! I notice much better traction when taking off, cornering, driving in rain, etc. Can't wait to try them in the snow!
    Get a price for the Cooper Zeon Sport A/S (all seasons). They have the same W speed rating as the originals. I would tend to think that anything "new" from Goodyear would tend to be overly expensive for the first few months. Oh well, it never hurts to price compare. I would recommend the Coopers any day! Going from 225/50 18 to 225/45 18 makes no noticable difference to me.
  • gxprixgxprix Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody come across a modification site for the Grand Prix GXP. I would like to add some more performance parts. I have already added flowmasters & a K&N intake system. I found a ECM unit that adds 20HP which I will be getting.

Anybody else looking to push the HP on your GXP??
  • jpete74jpete74 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 gxp. the question is does anyone have problems whith there stabilitrack turning on in a corner when you are all over it, after you have shut off the traction control and the stabilitrack system. The dealer and a gm engineer tell me that is what the car is designed to do but they also told me you can not shut off stabilitrack. The owners manual showes u how and that it is possible and the gxp only. any info would be great, this problem has me verry upset about the car not performing the way it should.
  • hankpsufanhankpsufan Member Posts: 2
    Did you replace just the rear tires or also the front ones?
  • hankpsufanhankpsufan Member Posts: 2
    When you have a chance could you please give us an update on how the Cooper tires are working out for you? Specifically, I was wondering about any adverse consequences you may have experienced since the rear tires were not an exact size match........the overall diameter being a little smaller. thanks
    Not a thing wrong since updating the tires. The only thing noticable is that going from a 225/50 to a 225/45 makes the rear tires seem "thinner" or closer to the ground than the front ones. but if you measure from the ground up to the bottom of the rim in both the front and rear wheels, its the same. Since I changed the size of the rear tires and not the fronts, it doesnt have any impact on the speedometer, since its driven off the front wheels/transmission. I have had no other problems whatsoever. They have been great tires for the past 6 months / 5,000 miles I've had them.
    I would highly recommend the Eagle F1 All Season. They were expensive, but the performance I am getting out of them is as good, or better, than the 050's. Highly recommended and no change in tire sizes.
  • mcrowemcrowe Member Posts: 1
    I recently have a problem with my 00 pontiac GTP . It seems flooding and runs terribly , black exhaust smoke. Then 1/2 hour later start run good for a minute then it was back to running rough and die. I unplugged the MAF sensor and started it ,ran fine. I drove it 168 miles home. Service light on now though never came on before. Just wondered if anyone had this problem. And if it is the MAF sensor.
  • jpete74jpete74 Member Posts: 2
    most likely that is the fault of the maf u can actually clean it will carb cleaner but be carefully not to touch the fine wires in the middle they can break easy. if that does not take care of it try replacing it. the check engine light probably will not go out on its own, you will have to have it shut of.
  • proudnewdadproudnewdad Member Posts: 12
    My friend has a HP tuner and we plan to put a tune on it this Spring. I will post this Spring on how it worked out. I know a different pulley would add some power, but I think you need to yank the engine for that. Sounds like you've done about everything you can so far. Do you feel a difference in power from the mods you've done so far?
  • seanmckeanseanmckean Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering if you had gotten any replies or found anything for mod sites for a GXP. I found stuff for the supercharged but nothing for the V8's. How did the intake and exhaust work out? I am looking for an exhaust that will add some sound but not be overly annoying. Any suggestions?
  • gxprixgxprix Member Posts: 2
    I have not, it seems that everyone has ignored my question (not a very good message board). I have moved on to LS1tech.com, much more superior to this garbage.

To answer your question, the flowmasters were awesome. I would recommend removing the resonator as well, to get a very nice deep sound. To give you an idea, it sounded like an old Monte Carlo or 305/307 Chevy V8 motor. The intake was cool too because it gave the car a supercharger sound when it sucked in the air, I saw a small increase in HP as well.
  • beamiebeamie Member Posts: 3
    ...a proud owner of a '06 GXP. Is there anything I should be aware of or look out for besides just to have fun with it? :)
  • miked77miked77 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced my tires and rims with new ones. I have the 4 tires, that were only driven on for approx. 8 months. I am looking to sell either tires alone or tires and rims. If interested please post message and I will respond to you.
    How much $ and tread life left, particularly the front?

Robert
  • miked77miked77 Member Posts: 2
    Tread life is good on front and back. One rim is messed up but i have been told that it can be fixed. I am willing to sell all 4 for around 600 or best offer, for rims and tires. Tire price can be neg.
  • mygxp1mygxp1 Member Posts: 3
    Congratulations!

In 2005 I purchased a new Grand Prix GXP. I fell in love with the car the moment I started it. The car GOES! What a joy to drive. I already have 92K miles on it.

The key word I hear when I take my car for repairs is "unique" or "special". That means $$$$$$$. I will share a few examples....

I do mostly highway driving. I have gone through two sets of front rotars and I am currently on my third set of brake pads. Besides the car being a front wheel drive car with a whole lot of power, it goes through front brakes. Lesson learned...NEVER allow the rotars to be resurfaced. They will ware the brake pads unevenly. My point...the rotars are $180 EACH!

Tires...again...unique...if you want to get away from the BF Goodrich Tires that come stocked on the car, it requires someone who knows how to do a little bit of math to find the "right" size. If you put some other tire on the car that was NOT made for it, you could run into trouble with the computer.

The BIGGEST issue of all....
    MY TRANSMISSION went! The problem started SLOWLY. I took it to the dealership and they said the computer is just picking up on mifires. They didn't understand what I was feeling. It was taking longer to shift from one gear to the next. It felt like a hiccup. I was getting significantly less MPG....10-12 on HIGHWAY. I had a tune up done since I was so close to 100,000 miles. Problem not solved. I continued to drive the car. It felt sluggish to ME, but nobody could tell me what was wrong. I took it to a place that only does Transmissions. They could barely feel it and said it could be the trans going, but they couldn't say for sure because my car would not allow their computer to read the transmission codes?! They contacted "Snap On" who provides their equipment. The car stopped going before I could follow up with the place.

The point is..."EXPERTS" could not tell me for sure what was wrong with the car. I had it to a total of FOUR different places. The good thing about it NOT going...I KNOW NOW it is the trans. The trans has to be a rebuilt trans...Just for the Transmission....$1,900 BEFORE labor! You are looking at close to $3,000 to do the job with labor. Then you are without a car for a bit. I am waiting for the results.

The car could also have other issues now. The factory installed remote start...that suddenly started setting the car alarm off! What in the world is that about?

The front heated seat coil burnt out right after I hit 36K miles. I have yet to repair that. That will cost $350 or so.

Any questions...feel free to ask.....

In 2005, the car didn't have the 100,000 mile warrenty. It had the 3 year 36,000 miles. There is NO reason at all that should have happened. Again....a UNIQUE transmission which means more $$$.
  • pesky1pesky1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone encountering problems with their transmissions? My warranty expired at 60,000 km's. At 71,474 km's, my transmission went. I was out of warranty but GM was nice enough to give me a warranty - goodwill. They replaced the transmission for a $500 deductible amount. This took place November 2007. A year later, my car is back in. Just got the phone call that the transmission is done. Car is now at 117,945 km's (which is an additional 29,044 miles). Dealer wants $5,170 + tax to put in a new transmission... This doesn't seem right... Has anyone else encountered this?
    YES!! YES!!! YES!!!!

I am going through this RIGHT now. It has been such a headache as you know. I get my car back tomorrow...FINALLY!! I have a lot of useful info for you that you might be interested in.

You ARE being ripped off. Do you have a warranty on this 2nd trans? You should have a 50K mile warranty on that trans.

Also...call AAMCO...call other Trans places...they DO have warranties....
    I was quoted $2,250 out the door...no extra fees....

My story and experience is long...If you are interested....feel free to email me.

My email is: coolandi@aol.com
    I know that the trans is a major issue, but I've done a lot of research and do know that the transmission needs a 'Shift Kit' in it and a trans cooler if you are the type that's constantly beating on it. Trans-Go makes a kit for it. I've been modifying mine trans and still have a few mods to perform.
  • jagrismerjagrismer Member Posts: 1
    Does this spare tire they gave you have a part number or something?
    A spare from a Caddy is suppose to work for the GXP. I'll try to find out which one. :shades:
  • mnerdinmnerdin Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2006 Pontiac GXP and last year put $6000.00 into the car. $4200.00 just for new struts and tires. The struts are high performance and made in Germany. The last time we new tires put on, the dealership put the wrong size on and going down the highway at 65, I had every warning light to come , the car starting decelerating and I had to pull off. We bought the car new in 2007 off the floor, we've replaced the brakes 3 times, the tires cost approx. $1200.00 each time they need replaced (we've done that 4 times)...cannot rotate the tires-the front ones are bigger than the back ones.

I think my transmission just went out today...the engine felt like it was bogging down and then had to pull over off the road. I put it in park and tried to go forward in drive again, then in reverse...going nowhere! Called the tow truck...sheesh!
    Hi Mnerdin-

I HAD a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. I had a VERY similar experience. I spent a fortune like you on that car. I also bought the car brand new. I went through many tires, several sets of brakes and rotars, tie rods, etc. I also had the transmission go this time last year. I am NOT a heavy driver. I have also had several other people contact me asking for help about their trans going. I found out from the dealership that GM is KNOWS of the transmission issues in these cars. The dealership told me they go due to no fault of your own. I could go on and on.
    If you would like to email me you can at coolandi@aol.com
  • sphinxrbsphinxrb Member Posts: 18
    Hi, yes my transmission went. It's at the shop now. They told me today that this cars transmission is for a 6 cylinder vehicle, not an 8 cylinder vehicle, which is what this Grand Prix GXP is. He did note that improvements were made to the design of the transmission, but the fact remains that the transmission used in this car is not suitable for an 8 cylinder vehicle. This shop has been in business for over 30 years and knows what they are talking about. I am writing to Pontiac/GM to see if anything, if they will help pay for it.

I too had rotors replaced (thankfully under warranty), but I did find by swiching to CERAMIC brake pads, elimated the rotor wear/groves.

-Rick
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Rick,
    I am from GM Customer Service. What is the VIN of the vehicle, and the current mileage? I would like to look into this a little further. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    edited April 2010
    I was considering a 2008 GXP, and was wondering what are the service and reliability problems..Just the tires sizes and lack of rotation create a "Money Pit", and you all have proved. The tranny is a warmed over S/C V-6 component, and the struts/brakes are just upgrades to dazzle the customer..

Having owned 53 cars in my long life and probably driven 3 million miles, the problems are mainly suspension, tires, and brakes..Engines and transmissions are trouble free unless you like to abuse the car with quick starts and high speed downshifts..Like to go fast and stop quick, FWD will fry your front rotors--weight shift...

Dealer service is another area especially if your Pontiac is also is a Buick dealer, or a Caddie dealer..Buick/Caddy dealers are not performance minded souls, so I have learned over the years that a Chevy dealer will correct your alignment problems with ease..My last 2 cars chewed tires up, requiring reslotting the struts, which has proven to be a problematic occurrance with the W-body..and the Chevy dealer solved the 2002 Olds Intrigue and a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT..The Intrigue went through 20 tires in 70k miles of e-way driving and the Pontiac devoured two sets in 35k miles of mostly mixed driving..On the Pontiac I changed from an H-rated tire to a T-rated Michelin Harmony which based on past experience will easily offer 50k miles of driving pleasure,based on 35psi-frts, and 32-rears..80+ cruising, and occasional 120+ runs don't faze the tires..The S/C engine will blow up quicker with it's 5qts of oil capacity than the T-rated tires.. The Intrigue had a 6.5qt capacity, but was limited to about 112..so it was safe..

Again, I am happy to have read all the ailments of the GXP, and maybe the SS Chevy with it's run-of-the-mill equipment would be a better/cheaper choice..

The GXP is a great looking car, and probably serves most owners well, except the those drivers who demand "pedal to the metal" cruising!!!!!!!!! You will pay the price.
    Hi Mariah, I already contacted customer service. Their decision was not to do anything. I have writtine wo GM executive offices and I am working with someone there now. In fact, I asked to talk to the rep's supervisor, and she made the decision. When I asked this supervisor for her manager, she would give me a first name only, but would not give me anyway to contact this person, and would not have this manager even call me to discuss it. So I wrote to the CEO. Thanks anyway.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Your welcome!
    Sorry it wasn't a better outcome for you. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    My 2006 GPGT has been less than desireable possessing a myraid of problems, 3 ISS{intermediate steering shafts} replacements and 3 batteries, all within 30k miles..all replaced without too much of a hassle..The last batttery was the biggest hassle--$195.00 charge, however I challenged the charge and it dissolved.

Next story, had dealer install 4 new Hankook tires, road force balance, and check alignment..Rebalanced 2nd time and forced to scrap tires after 10k miles..Misalignment and misbalance by the local Buick, Pontiac& GMC dealer has taught me to not use their services in the future..

The local Chevy dealer reslotted the struts to cure the alignment problem..I did the next tire deal with a Tire Rack installer and they did an outstanding job.. To avoid naming the car dealer, I live in Venice, Fl...go for it..
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    edited April 2010
    mnerdin, sorry about your experiences. I hang out at a few Grand Prix boards and there are many handy hints there. I have an '07 bought late Nov with 18K on it.

Many folks go to one size tires all around. A couple of months back I saw a GXP in a parking lot with 225 or 235.55.17" tires all around. Aftermarket wheels, obviously. Some folks will go junkyarding and buy 17" or 18" wheels off Bonnevilles or Cadillacs, or other GPs. 17s will clear the brakes, 16s won't.

Car dealers and tire dealers are typically clueless about what you can do, many will tell you you can't do this. One tire dealer rotated my fronts to back and backs to front, and they told the GM dealer service department, who told me that the tires were on the wrong ends and they "fixed it" for me. So DO NOT TRUST DEALERS or tire dealers to know, you must become the expert.

Search GM Parts Direct, they have good prices on most parts including brakes, pads, etc. Other aftermarket folks will beat the dealer prices, dealership is THE LAST PLACE I will buy parts. Typically you can beat their parts prices by up to 50% or better.
    I just ordered a strut from them, about $215; dealer is about $440.

I recommend the GM extended warranty, I paid about a grand for an additional 48/48. Black Pontiac in PA is the best price around.

I would be very leery of grinding drilled discs like these. Don't know if I'm allowed to refer to other websites here, but a quick search will find several GP sites with lots of helpful info.

Trannies are a weak point. I considered getting the BG ATF fluid treatment for mine, but since I'm under warranty for 48/48 I won't be doing that just yet. Their deal costs at least 100 bucks more than a dealer charges for trans flush, filter, and fill. They supposedly warrant up to $2000 toward trannie repairs for the next 30,000 miles after their service. Have heard NO feedback regarding BG products from anyone anywhere.

Sorry you're having problems. I have had AM radio trouble that drove me nuts. Dealer wasn't much help until I called an 800 number I found on the internet, a GM rep helped "urge" the dealer toward resolving the problem. GPS is a POS.

LR strut started rubbing a tire. Dealer replaced it under warranty. I ordered another at GMPP and should have it installed next week. Struts, like tires, should be replaced in pairs.

So far the GM extended warranty has paid out about two grand, it cost one grand so I am way ahead of the game.

Good luck, these are great drivers re: acceleration, handling, braking, but tidbit details that cost loyal customers thousands of dollars out of their own pockets could be a clue as to why GM went BK.
  • bevjj32bevjj32 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same exact thing happen today to my '06 GXP, had to have it towed to the dealership and they won't be able to tell me anything until Monday. I have about 77,000 miles, which I didn't expect any engine issues. This is really makes me angry if GM isn't looking into this issue and take care of us as customers. My last Grand Prix GTP had over 185,000 miles and didn't have any issues. :sick:
    UPDATE: I heard back from GM Executive offices. They will not do anything for transmission repair. Not surprising. Hmmm, things are settling down at Toyota now, I guess it's time to abandon GM. It's really a shame. I've had 6 GM cars, last two ('99 Grand Prix GTP, '92 Lumina Z34) were really great cars. I go an buy my dream car('05 Grand Prix GXP), and this is what happens (tranny fail at 55K). I love the 2010 LaCross, but don't know if I would risk it at this point. Tired of paying out $$ for repairs I should not have to be doing.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    At least if you buy a 2010:

"Buick 5-year/100,000-mile Transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty with no deductible"
    2022 X3 M40i
  • mandi41986mandi41986 Member Posts: 6
    I had a 2003 Pontiac GTP and it had 130,000 miles With no problems, Last july I bought a used 2006 pontiac GXP, it has 45.000 miles on it and is acting up, I am scared to take it out with my newborn in it, I dont know whats wrong with it, The speedometer is jumping all over the place, the car is jerking, theres no lights coming on for warnings and such, the tranny fluid temp is normal, the battery volts are jumping between 14.30 and 15.00 which seems normal. Any one else had similar issues and found the problem and solution, I'm very upset because the miles are considerably low for a 2006.....
    If you go to Tire Rack.com you can do a search Year Make and Model for he gxp and find all the tires offered for that vehicle since they are special tires......
    I just bought some from there and they fit perfect.
    I had a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (same model before redesign in 2004), I traded it in at 110 miles with really no problems either. I have a 2005 GXP now. Shouldn't need a tune-up, but you may have a bad spark plug, or spark plug wire. I found if it is a spark plug wire, it usually does it under a load, like going up hill etc. Could just be sensor of some sort. Also, could be transmission, take it in for an electronic diagnostic test. My tranny went bad at 55K. See my previous post. Due to the fact the tranny is not well built enough for the 8cyl engine (per my mechanic), plus one of my family members who drove it had a habit of backing out of the driveway, and before the car came to a complete stop, shifting it into drive. This action causes about 1 months tranny wear each time it's done. I parked on many hills, and never used the parking break, and should have. If the car will roll at all, parking break should be used. Hope this helps, but get it to good mechanic shop to just have it checked. If you have On-Star, you can press the blue button and have them do a diagnostic test. (if you subscribe, if so, you can also go to OnStar online, and have emails sent once per month for a major systems diagnositc report.)
    Thank you I will try that, They backing up thing makes sense sometimes I make the mistake of doing that too!!
    edited June 2010
    Update: So I took it to the dealer and they said that the tranny fluid smells burnt it isnt black yet but will be, they will try to flush it and replace the speed sensor but if that doesnt work then they will have to replace the tranny... [non-permissible content removed]! I am so mad right now, My car has 45k on it I will NEVER buy another GM product again, If I wasnt still paying on my car which I bought last july by the way I would go buy a ford truck right now.
  • grandprix07grandprix07 Member Posts: 2
    You can put 225 for the rear but it is not recommend GM designed the GXP with staggered tire size for a reson the. GXP has sports tuned suspension and by not keeping 255 in the rear you can cause dramatic handling issues and suspension problems the most usual is the struts internals and mounts crack and will start making noise and damage to tie rod ends and vibration within the sterring coloum. Keep 225 on front and 255 on the rear!
  • r_dub1r_dub1 Member Posts: 1
    I am also starting to experiance trans. issues. I have a 07 GXP baught it used, and it ran fine. It started with an occasional hard shift from first - second, then the RPM started to fluctuate 200-300 rpm with the cruise set. Now just this week it started to surge, with lack of power. Any help would be greatly appricieated.