Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• mikibeemikibee Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 Ford windstar Passenger window stopped working about a year ago as well. I'd be interested in this reply too.

Thanks
  • lukeclukec Member Posts: 3
    I own a 1996 windstar mini van & have the same passenger window problem.
    Please let me know how to correct it when you find out?
    Thanks.
    Luke :mad:
  • tbar1tbar1 Member Posts: 2
    :( I have two problems with my windstar, the first is the back power vents do not work. and the second is the cruse control works only when it wants to.
    according to the owners book the fuse is the same as the radio for the vents.
    and becous the cruse works once and awhile I am not shure what to look at
    any help would be appreciated.
    (tbar1) :confuse: ">
  • tbar1tbar1 Member Posts: 2
    :( I have two problems with my windstar, the first is the back power vents do not work. and the second is the cruse control works only when it wants to.
    according to the owners book the fuse is the same as the radio for the vents.
    and becous the cruse works once and awhile I am not shure what to look at
    any help would be appreciated.
    (tbar1) :confuse: [email protected]
  • matt633matt633 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 windstar GL. the problems are as follows # 1 the battery light indicator came on the dashboard/ why and what to do?
    #2 the rear windows aren't working, I press the vent buttons but nothing happens.
    Why and what to do ? and # 3 my horn stopped working. why and what to do ? .
    however these problems did not happen all at once its just that i came across this site, and figuered might as well kill 3 birds with 1 stone if at all possible. i am mechanically inclined so if you tell me what to do , i should be able to get it corrected.
  • lakemenlakemen Member Posts: 2
    To get to the Mechanical lever to the door for switching from vent floor to ceiling vents you have to take off the side panel which the rear fan swicth and head phone jacks located on it, Inside you will see the blower motor and door. simply find the lever to the door and zip tie into the position for the ceiling vents.
  • kimjo48kimjo48 Member Posts: 1
    Took my car to have it emissions tested. Never had a problem until they were done. I passed but my car would not start up again. It would turn over but it would not start. It was like you put in bad gas or something. It would keep spitting. After it sat for a while it started up and drove it home with no problems. Happened again a month later on vacation. Tried to get it started for an hour and had to have it towed. It kept spitting again. Would give it gas and it would stall. After they towed it, it started right up. They hooked it up to computer and said all was fine. Checked fuel pump and all was fine. Happened again this month. Took it to Ford and they said it might be fuel pump,maybe needs a new battery and the bill would be 1300.00. Has anyone had this problem before? Thanks - hopeful
  • bennerbenner Member Posts: 3
    i just bought my 98 windstar 3 mos ago and within a week it did the same thing...the door light stayed on and it ding ding dinged....the next day i sprayed wd40 on all the metal round things on the door jams.....the tail gate may have on too...look for the metal on metal contacts on any door jam...(open the doors and look)....prob cured so far and its been almost 3 mos...what other problems did u have?
    my abs light is on and sometimes it goes off....when it is off and i speed up to 75 to 80 it goes on...what is that...my brakes seem fine.
    my 98 windstar passenger window dont work either....i know two other families with 98 and 99 windstars with the same passenger side windows not working either....its at least a 500 dollar repair job i heard.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    my abs light is on and sometimes it goes off....when it is off and i speed up to 75 to 80 it goes on...what is that...my brakes seem fine.

ABS light on our '97 was on one time, the cause was just low brake fluid.
  • echo1echo1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My van did the same thing and usually in cold weather. Turned out that I had water in my gas and I put some HEAT treatment in with my gas to get the water out of the gas and I don't have that problem.

Hope this helps.

Echo1
  • manandmachinemanandmachine Member Posts: 5
    removing excessive carbon is easier than poping the heads off, when the engine is hot take a water spray bottle rev the engine as you spray fine mist of water into the throttle body that will lossen any carbon that is excessive might have to pull the plugs to blow or wipe off carbon flakes if it is missing, most pinging problems are from dirty injectors, good to add injector cleaner now and again.
    I'm wondering what the serial number is on the intakes, sometimes they experiment with different designs and get customer feedback lol complaints
    is it just one style of intake for those years? 98, 99, 2000.
  • sadxxxsadxxx Member Posts: 1
    Quite interesting. I also have a 96 windstar GL and my horn stopped working yesterday. Also at the same time, the speed control does not work anymore. There are many posts about this particular issue (i.e. horn+speed control). Most of them blame a faulty ground connection , which is common to both but I have yet to see someone confirming that or, at least, point us to the wire that should be checked.

good luck
    LOL boy that was a dumb dealer LOL.
    You can check the voltage drain by removing the negative terminal and remove fuses and see if you have small spark when touching the terminal to the post, gives you an idea where the drain is, or you can use a test lite as well between the battery post and the negitive terminal and pull one fuse out at a time.
    is thier a part number for this steel shift piston in the transmission any one have it handy?
  • tomstartomstar Member Posts: 5
    I had the same prob. The ABS lite would come on intermittently. Took to Ford dealer, they ran a $50 diagnostic and THEN checked the brake fluid level and said that was the problem. Why didn't they check that first .. duh...uh! My lesson is to you free ... check the brake fluid level and see if that is you prob.
  • tomstartomstar Member Posts: 5
    My front driver power seat, '97 Windstar, is moving sluggish and seems to be "slipping" when I move forward or backward. I have to "assist" the movement with my body. Up/down, tilt seems OK. Is there a belt or chain I can change and how hard/complicated is this to do to fix the problem. I don't think it is the motor. I have not had the seat out yet to examine.
  • ilovemyvanilovemyvan Member Posts: 1
    I've just found this great site and have read many of the postings, most do not shine a postive light on the windstar. Now I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who loves their van like I do? And does anyone have high mileage with little problems? Mine just turned 100,000 miles. My family is planning a trip to MI next month. Read the posting on the chimes and pinging. I'll try the wd40 and fuel inj cleaner and let you know if it works for me... :shades:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    We did until we were told recently that a couple gaskets are leaking and repair cost is about $1500. We will see how long it lasts with the leaks, they do not seem that bad right now. We have 93,000 miles on our 1997. It is becoming a limited use vehicle for us, so we will not be racking up many miles in the future.

Of course this forum is for "Ford Windstar Problems" so naturally that is what you are going to read about.
  • nancypnancyp Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 96 WINDSTAR VAN I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH 2 THINGS. THE VAN IS MISSING A LITTLE. NOT ALL THE TIME. MY DASHBOARD LOW WATER LIGHT WILL START CLICKING ON AND OFF AND MY SPEEDOMETER JUST GOES HAYWIRE, (AFTER IT REACHES ABOUT 45 IT JUST GOES UP TO 80 AND THEN BACK TO 45 BACK AND FORTH.) SOMEONE TOLD ME IT COULD NEED NEW PLUG WIRES, BUT THEN SOMEONE ELSE SAID IF IT IS NOT MISSING ALL THE TIME THAT IT IS NOT THE PLUG WIRES. THE DASH ALSO HAS A FRYING NOISE IN IT WHEN THE SPEEDOMETER IS GOING CRAZY. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
  • rossross Member Posts: 17
    My 96 did this and they replaced the speedo head. About $500 if I remember. Bad thing is, after about 40k more miles, it is going to go out again and then they wanted $900 to repair and said it would go out again in another 40k miles. I declined. I use my watch and mile marker signs if I want to know my speed. :lemon:
  • huntersmomhuntersmom Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 1996 Windstar, and recently the trac off light started to flash. It does not flash all the time, just once in awhile. We have only had the van for around 3 weeks and the first time that this happened was after I had washed it. But it seems like if it is flashing, and I shut the van off and restart it, the light disappears(usually). In the owners manual it says that the traction control is malfuncationing, but it does not do it all the time. I hoping that someone can give me a clue of what it might be, or if someone else has had the same problem. Thanks :confuse: :confuse:
  • boyingtonboyington Member Posts: 1
    The car looks right ... to me anyway and seems to be in fine working condition drives nice etc... has just over 100,000 miles on it... I am buying it for my small antique bizz...
    How do I tell the dealer I want to have it looked over by a mechanic? or can I send a mechanic there to look at it ?
    I see that in the past there were some problems...
    what do you all think good price for a good car ... or bad idea?
  • grandpa3grandpa3 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2001 windstar and at 40-45 miles per hour it runs rough. If we speed up or slow down it returns to normal running condition. When we started it today the check engine light stayed on. We had the code reader put on it and it gave us a misfire code for cylinder 6. They said we needed to change the plugs, which we promptly purchased and installed. It is now running rough even at an idle and the check engine light remains on. Changing the plugs only made it worse. What should we look at next?
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    For my money, around $2500 would be a good price regardless of book value
    We are doing the head gaskets on a 3.0 litre, the main problem was the thermostat, had stuck closed, overheating the head gaskets and producing a leak, the head gasket seems to be a poor quality as the sealing material on the gasket was eaten away, the most diffulcult part was getting the exhaust manifold bolts out, they seem to have been tighten to 150 lbs LOL we needed a 1/2 rachet and on a few a johnson bar, Also we had one snag yesterday the head bolt kit was the wrong one, its listed wrong on the after market gasket set as well for the recommoned bolt kit. We have to check around today, not much luck for sundays. I'll update the right kit later. :sick:
  • 99vanman99vanman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Windstar SE and the speed control stopped working. Anyone have a idea on where to look for the problem to fix it. Also passenger front door and passenger sliding door automatic locks don't work. Any ideas on these problems let me know.
    Thanks !!!
  • maryann2271maryann2271 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 windstar and the air condition, speedometer,and odometer just stopped working not to mention the ABS light is on. I have no clue what happened or how it did. It was working the night before and now it is not. I have taken tried to reset the computer and this did not fix the problem. I have checked all the fuses and they are all working. Please help this is my only vehicle and I am at witts endI can't afford another car nor a ticket because I can't tell how fast the car is going. :sick:
    My 99 WS had the same problem I had to take it to the dealer for them to reset it. It was one of the 3 O2 sensers
    This is just a follow up I took the vehicle to the dealership and they told me that it was my brake system leaking on wires and that shorted out everything. Total repair cost so far will be 578.08 We will see if that is the problem though.......I will follow up to let everyone know
  • sharonysharony Member Posts: 7
    Sorry I did not read this message before. I had the same problem with my 2000 Ford Windstar last month. I found the solution here at this forum around page 85,86.. referring to blown fuse. Actually I am so sorry they charged you $578.08 because I fixed mine with $15.23 which is the cost of the brake pressure switch. The real problem is that the fuse #10 is the one that operates air condition, ABS, speedometer, odometer. The problem is caused because brake fluid is leaking through the master cylinder and getting into the brake pressure switch and cruise control switch. You just needed to checked if could correct the leak from the master cylinder, replace the brake pressure switch and clean the cruise control switch with air pressure which by the way I assure you it was not working either.
    In my case I had to buy the master cylinder besides the brake pressure switch, it cost me $50.00. So I spent $65.23 in total and the problem is fixed.
  • sharonysharony Member Posts: 7
    I love my '00 Windstar, so far I have not got any major problem other than maintenance. It does not matter what type of car you have, it will always give you problem when something breaks down of course. Also there are some lemon car, but besides this my sister in law has a 95 Windstar, my brother in law has 98 Windstar, a friend of mine has a 99 Windstar and my father in law has a 01 Windstar and so far they are running ok. All what we do is give proper maintenance, so far has worked even though this does not guarantee I will not have problems in the future, but I tried to do my best and keep it in shape.
    ">
  • blowninjectedblowninjected Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 Ford Windstar LX, the rear A/C nor Heat does not work. Any ideas??? Thank You.
  • forddeathstarforddeathstar Member Posts: 2
    Got if fixed ! Thought it was the switch but turned out to be a vacuum line that fell off. Surprised no responses. This never happened to anyone?
  • andrew15andrew15 Member Posts: 1
    We replaced upper/lower intake manifold gaskets and head gaskets. After driving a few miles the CEL came on again, but stayed steady. Next day it starts blinking and we're back to square one. Had Checker run the code machine and it was a P401 - EGR valves. This shouldn't cause it to miss. We have also replaced spark plugs/wires.

HELP! Any ideas on what is wrong are greatly appreciated.
  • saveabucksaveabuck Member Posts: 2
    I have done various checks to this problem following the instructions in my haynes manual. I checked the brake switch ( ok ) , using my ohms meter I checked the resistance through the switches on the steering wheel and they were all within the range specified in the manual, fuse (ok) , linkage (ok) . I thought for sure it was the speed control module so I purchased a used one from the wreckers and tried it but that did not solve my problem. Is there something I am missing ?
  • slloyd424slloyd424 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 WS. It shifts hard going from 1st to 2nd. This is the only time it does so. Because of this problem I also have had to replace the seal because it causes it to leak. Any ideas on why it jumps into 2nd and what I can do to fix it? Is it going to have to be rebuilt?
  • biscottimombiscottimom Member Posts: 1
    My driver seat controls stopped working last week, and now it's stuck in the highest position. I was messing with it and it quit working while I was adjusting the seat, and now it's stuck as far back as it goes and as high as it goes. Anyone know how to fix this? It's driving me nuts!
    Thanks
  • windstarmarcowindstarmarco Member Posts: 6
    A common cause for this is a defective ABS sensing ring.
    If you are in luck than maybe it is only muck which was washed between sensor and sensing ring.
  • robsearchrobsearch Member Posts: 1
    My 96 Windstar has numerous electrical failures. The power locks, dashboard lights, tail lights, rear power vent windows and psgr. side window all fail to work. Are they all connected to the same circuit or fuse? Is there an easy fix for this? Anyone else have these multiple problems? I can be emaile directly at [email protected] Thanks. Bob
  • stimsonmstimsonm Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure the draining battery problem I seem to have the same thing.
  • markinottawamarkinottawa Member Posts: 2
    dtrader,

I have a '98 Windstar and just had to replace the CMP (CPM) (?....on board computer module)...My TRAC Control light cme on one day and stayed on for sometime. Shortly after, the ABS light came on and stayed on (dealer checked and found no problem with the either). While it was in the shop for service (the check engine light came on) the maintenance code showed cylender #1 wasn't firing. I had the plugs and wires changed out and the next day, the engine light came on again and the engine began to mis-fire badly. After many hours (and many $) the mechanic discovered that the wiring harness leading into the CMP (CPM?) had been burned and a wire inside the protective coating was burned as well. This fed into the CPM and caused false codes. The CPM was replaced, no difference. The wire was fixed, presto....no more false codes.

Possibly the burn as caused by current arcing from the #1 wire to the harness. They were in very close proximity and the plug wires were in bad shape. Might be worth a look.

Good luck

MarkinOttawa
  • markinottawamarkinottawa Member Posts: 2
    benner,
    Trac control & ABS lights came on on my '98 WS. When the engine light finally came on, I decided to have it checked. After many hours and many dollars (long story) it turned out that the wiring harness leading into the CPM (CMP??) had been burned by current arcing from #1 plug wire. Changed plugs & wires and (unfortunately CPM) and no worries since then.

May be worth having it checked.

MarkinOttawa
  • vfuksavfuksa Member Posts: 1
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 97. ON REAR GATE THERE ARE RECTANGULAR SHAPED PIECES WITH SPRINGS, 1 ON EACH SIDE. WD-40 THEM REAL GOOD. I ALSO SLIDE THEM BACK & FORTH TO MAKE SURE THE WD-40 GETS IN ALL AREAS. THERE IS ALSO 1 ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE SLIDING DOOR. THE MORE DIRT I'M AROUND, THE MORE OFTEN I HAVE TO DO IT
  • saveabucksaveabuck Member Posts: 2
    Fixed it; After looking in the manual again I located the wireing schematics for the cruise control system and noticed there was another brake switch located in the system somewhere besides the one under the dash. I located it screwed on to the bottom of the master cylinder . I got suspicious when I saw brake fluid leaking out of it. This is a normally closed switch where with a test light there should be power on both wires. I am not sure if the leak caused the switch to fail but it seems to be a common problem with this type of design. The dealer referred to the switch as the cruise control disable switch and it cost me $31.57 canadian taxes in . I hope this helps someone else out.
  • kitch4kitch4 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1998 windstar GL with 180000 km on it. I have had no trouble with it to now and by the sounds of it I am lucky. I am getting codes of P0171 system adaptive fuel too lean bank #1, P1131 lack of HO2S switches-sensors indicate lean, P0133 upstream heated O2 sensor circuit slow response bank #1, P0306 cylinder #6 misfire detected. I have tested EGR valve, DPFE, TPS,MAF,VSS,IAV, these tested fine to the haynes book. I have also changed fuel filter, upper intake gaskets, upstream O2 sensor bank #1. I have brought it to two garages and they both say the head gasket. I did my own compression test and all the front cylinders read 115 to 125psi. The garages did not do a leak down test so how do they know it is the head gasket. This all stared when at a stop the engine would rev up to 1200 rpm then slow down to idle and it has got to when turning a corner it stalls. Please help I am running out of options.
  • dubiosautodubiosauto Member Posts: 1
    This is interesting. My 97 windstar caught fire in the engine compartment because of leaking brakefluid from the master cyinder (where the sensor screws into the master cylinder). when the brakefluid dripped onto the manifold.

Is this a common problem with the windstars and if so why has there not been a recall issued?
  • cherokeeladycherokeelady Member Posts: 1
    THe O/D off light starts blinking when I go above fifty miles per hour for any length of time. I would like to know what is wrong, and is it dangrous to drive it in this condition. I have to take a trip today, and I dont want it to brake down on the way.
This discussion has been closed.