Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Brakes

Comments

• teamtboteamtbo Member Posts: 78
    robert, wow, you are much more patient then me. If my brakes completely failed, I would drop of the car that same day at the dealer and demand my money back or a new car. I mean this is the most dangerous thing that can happen - you could have been killed or killed someone else! I guess the only hard part is reproducing the failure to prove to the dealer that it really happened and you just didn't get a bad case of buyers remorse.

My wife and I bought a used 4 Runner several months ago and it had the front brakes replaced. Turns out the mechanic forgot to bolt the calipers on...so several miles away from the used car dealership, the ABS locked up as we approached a 4 way stop. It freaked my wife and I out big time! Anyway, we demanded a refund because I knew every time we put the brakes on after that, we would be worrying about the same thing happening. Good luck!
  • geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    I would've taken the 07 Camry back to the dealership where you purchased it at the first failure in the brakes, this should be covered under warranty, most Camry's ive test driven had spongy brakes and thats what steered me clear of Camrys even though I wanted one I surely did not want to take a chance at getting into a fatal accident.
    geffen, yes, my Camry has spongy brakes as well...that is a great way to describe them. We brought it to the dealership a couple of days ago to have them checked out, but they said the usual "can't find anything wrong with them". The other major issue we are having is the shift flare has come back after we had the tranny replaced. I am working with my dealership now to trade in the Camry for a 2007 Highlander. I never thought I would be trading in my brand new Camry with only 3700 miles!

By the way, we test drove a 2007 Highlander SR5 on Thursday and the brakes were very responsive. I told my wife, "see, this is how they are supposed to be." Now she knows why I complained about our Camry's brakes. Glad to know that my Camry isn't the only one with spongy brakes.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    I do not understand "spongy". I touch the brake pedal and the car slows down with very little pressure. I have had to make a more sudden stop only once or twice, and all times the brakes brought the car to a perfect stop.Are you refering to this light touch braking? If not, what do you mean by spongy.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The pedal will feel mushy instead of firm.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    A firm feel,meaning additional pressure would be needed to bring the car to a stop. I understand what you mean, I just don't see the advantage.OH well.....to each his own. I really like the Camry brakes just as they are.
    Most brakes are firm meaning when you apply pressure to the brakes they slow the car and you can control the car much better, spongy brakes are a very light or brakes that feel as if you have to put them to the floor to stop the car, some people don't mind these type of brakes, however I prefer the firm brake pedal.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I have no problems with my Camry's brakes. In fact, the Camry's 60-0 braking distance is better than the Accord or Fusion. Spongy FEEL, I don't think so, but even if it does have a "spongy feel", it still ACTUALLY stops quicker than most cars - to me, that's what counts.
    mcdawgg,

So, are you doubting that my brakes feel spongy? I am just sharing my experience. There is definitely something wrong with them but Toyota denies it. In conjunction with the shift flare, I am about a week away from trading in my 2007 Camry XLE v6. I love Toyota - but I am very disappointed in the 2007 Camry.
    I don't blame you for trading your Camry in, I would be a very dissatisfied customer if i purchased one and the dealer basically told me the brakes are normal when i know they aren't, however some people don't mind spongy brakes or are just used to Toyota Camry brakes and really dont know the difference.
    I am not doubting the feel, but the actual stopping distance is as good or better than other cars in its class. If you doubt the dealer, try another dealer, but I really say it is just the feel, not the actual performance. I just wanted to be clear that the Camry brakes are actually better than most cars at stopping quickly. If the feel is your problem, then there is nothing the dealer can do for you. Feel is just a personal preference.

I cannot comment on your other issue, but I have read that Toyota has issued TSBs on several things to correct problems. Hang in there if you can, it is too expensive to trade in brand new car. Good Luck.
  • s15as15a Member Posts: 14
    I've never changed my pads. I've approx. 74500 miles on the 2001 Camry LE. Checked my brakes @ Firestone today and they are telling me I've 20% of the brake pads left(4 mm), but they cannot changed only the pads since the rotors are down to the wire.

They are telling my I need to change the rotors and the pads. How could the rotors need to be changed so fast? They told me the rotors will be at: 1.024(which they say is at specs) after they are resurfaced. They say the rotors are at 1.122.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    You can replace the pads without resurfacing the rotors, as long as the latter aren't warped or badly scored. I'd get a second opinion.

On my former '97 Camry, I didn't have to change the front pads until 109K miles, and the rotors were fine. (Of course, pad life is highly dependent on brake use.)
  • car111car111 Member Posts: 24
    I noticed 2008 Camry brakes stiff and painful for my injured knee. I also think US made 2007 camry (VIN 4T1..) have stiffer brakes than Japan assembled 2007 camry (VIN JTN..) - anyone have any clues about this ? I hate to buy 2007 camry when 2008's are coming but it seems like 2007 [non-permissible content removed] assembled will be easier for me. Are they making 2008 [non-permissible content removed] assembled cars for Camry V6 ?
    I don't think you should be using a pejorative term for the Japanese. World War II has been long since over!

There should be no difference in "stiffness" (brake pedal feel and effort I presume) between 2007 vs. 2008 Camrys, whether they're assembled here or in Japan, and whether they have 4-cylinder or V6 engines. The bulk of Camrys sold in the US are built in the US.
  • ochobochob Member Posts: 3
    I have strange cranking noice in the right front brake area on my Camry 95. When I make complete stop and releasing brake pedal to move, i hear strange cranking noise. What can cause this noise? Does somebody have experienced this? if yes how to fix it? Please help.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Brake pad could be worn down, ruining the rotor. Wheel bearing could be going bad, with the wheel about ready to fall off. Front CV joint bearing could be going bad. Could have a bad suspension part or strut.

None of this is good. Get it looked at as soon as you can.
  • ochobochob Member Posts: 3
    thanks kiawah, I have checked everything that you suggested, and it seems to be the suspension in the Right front. I detected big greasy dirt at the bottom of suspension. Is that mean that it could make that kind of noise? if yes could you explain me the nature of this noise, what makes it to sound like that. Thank a lot, I appreciate your advise.
    Well I can't hear the noise, and can't see the grease, so can't diagnose. If you have a greasy bunch of dirt at the bottom of suspension, you need to see where it came from. Is it from the strut, which leaked all of it's oil and is now creaking? Is it from the Constant Velocity Joint which has a boot that is cracked and leaked out all of it's grease, letting water in and now has rusted or pitted ball bearing races? Or is it something else?

Get it to a shop to have someone look at it.
  • dorothy04dorothy04 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 1996 Toyota Camry with 59,000 mile. My mechanic said it has faulty ABS sensors in rear wheels. Should I get this fixed?
    That's part of the anti-lock braking system, so yes you should get it fixed.

The sensors report back to the compouter how fast the rear wheels are turning (or not, as they begin to skid). The computer compares that to the front brakes, and adjusts the braking pressure so that you don't skid and stop in the shortest distance possible.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Unless you have an indication on the instrument panel of ABS problems it is unlikely the wheel sensors are faulty.
  • barkinsbarkins Member Posts: 10
    My '08 Camry is making a spring-like noise when pressing down on it. There's also a slight and irritating feedback when pressing it on. It can get especially annoying in heavy traffic. Has anyone experienced this?
  • gleedergleeder Member Posts: 1
    The parking brake button is stuck "in" thus the brake handle goes up and down but does not engage. I sprayed in through the handle, to no avail. 'Thoughts?
    What year are you talking about?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    He means the ratchet doesn't work.
    Oh sorry, you mean the button in the hand brake lever between the seats.

You're going to have to take it apart, and hope that it is a bind in the locking mechanism as opposed to broken. If broken, you may want to check prices at a junk yard and compare that to the dealer.
  • rubicon3rubicon3 Member Posts: 4
    Hello gentlemen,

I have a 2006 Camry LE, and I've been hearing a low squeaky noise from the brakes (it appears to be the front ones). This noise only occurs when I'm stopping on cold brakes--for instance, in the morning when I'm going to work. The noise ceases after the third or fourth time of breaking. After that no matter if I'm breaking at a red light, breaking from a high, or from a low speed, I do not hear anything.

Could this be a sign that my breaks need cleaning or perhaps even need changing?

Also I've noticed a low rattling noise when I'm stopped at a light. The noise goes away when I shift into neutral (with the brakes still applied). Could my rotors be warped?
    How many miles are on your car?
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    Sometimes a lil morning dew......snow.... salt...... settling on them can cause that until you use the brake a couple of times. Then they warm up, dry off and are quiet. Ive also noticed that even more so when the car has been sitting a few days or more. And not just my camry....my bmw.and my other cars do it as well.

Later
    Caaz
  • rubicon3rubicon3 Member Posts: 4
    I have 46700 miles...
    Same here, all cars do it in the morning the first few times, or whenever they have sat for a while with some moisture on the discs.
  • debbeldebbel Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have an 04 Camry XLE 4 Cyl. The upper rear brake light works, but the ones in the tail light area don't (both sides). The bulbs look ok, and the Stop fuse is ok as well. What is the next thing that I should check, and is this a common problem? Thanks for your help! Deb
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    I don't know about noise, but my 08 camry shutters when I press on the breaks. I'm bringing it in on tuesday. I'll have to listen for a noise. :confuse:
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    Problems is resolved. The dealer changed out the front break pads and rotors. the shutter is gone when I press on the breaks, also the shutter is gone when I'm traveling at high speeds( I forgot to mention in my original post ;) ). I still don't hear any noise, my camry is extremely quiet. :blush:
  • sdarensbourgsdarensbourg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Toyota Camry LE. Recently my dashboard display seemed to be a little dim when I turned on the lights. I went to Autozone and found I had a bad battery. I replaced the battery and when I turned on the lights, they still seemed to be dim. Could it be a bad fuze?
    Unlikely. Fuses are good (short-zero resistance), or they are bad (blown- infinite resistance).

What is dim, the dashboard display? or your headlights?

If dashboard display, make sure the dimming rheostat is turned all the way up to full brightness.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    >One of the members said not to take your vehicle to Toyota dealer for these repairs. he is so right.>

Not always. We kept taking my daughter's '99 Camry to an independent shop because the brakes felt mushy. They did a number of small fixes but always insisted the brakes were fine. Well, they were not fine. We finally did take it to a dealer and by that time it needed extensive brake work, but at the end of it, she now has fully functioning brakes. Sometimes the dealers have more experience with the cars they service all the time to know the source of the problem if it isn't obvious. Although I agree that an out of warranty car doesn't generally need to have basic services done at a dealer, there are those situations where it is better to spend the extra money.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • florinsflorins Member Posts: 1
    The brake pedal is not firm enough. I just replaced the master cylinder, pads front and back are good. The proportioning valve's lever is broken but I pushed it up and the rear right wheel can actually be turned with bare hands upon braking. The rear left holds slightly better. What difference makes the proportioning valve? May this be a design issue? Assuming that the RR caliper is good, what may be the problem?
    Thanks
  • hw99hw99 Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys,

I have a Camry 2005 LE with 45K. It seems the brakes are still working well since there is no noise or viberating when braking.

So I am wondering if I need to have a comprehensive brake inpections, which is about $80 cost quoted from a local dealer. Or a regular visual inspection is enough at this monment.

Thank you very much!
    No "comprehensive" inspection is needed at this point. You have disk brakes all around, which can be readily checked with the wheels taken off. This can be done when you rotate your tires. If the car is inspected by a professional on a lift, have them visually check the brake lines as well, but I would expect no problems at this low a mileage unless you drive in an area that uses lots of road salt in the winter.

If you do it yourself, don't stick your head in the wheelwells or under the car if the car is supported only by a jack -- use secure jackstands on a hard level surface.
  • hw99hw99 Member Posts: 7
    I really appreciate your info. Have a nice day!
  • tomgreen1000tomgreen1000 Member Posts: 18
    Hello. I've got a 2003 Camry LE that needs front brakes (disc). I have previously done many brake jobs on non-ABS brakes (on other vehicles). Is there anything specific to the ABS system that should be steering me away from DIY?

Thanks, Tom
    It shouldn't make any difference.
  • tomgreen1000tomgreen1000 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the info 210delray!
    You're welcome and good luck!
  • gchecksfieldgchecksfield Member Posts: 36
    I have some noise in the rear brakes of my 05 Camry. I want to take a look but cannot remove the rear wheel drum. I have lubricated and hammered quite a bit, but the drum will not come loose. There are two threaded holes in the drum. Should I put bolts through them to pull the drum off? Thanks.
    Yes, putting two threaded bolts of the correct size will work. Just be sure to work on both bolts alternately -- don't just work on one and then the other. You want to turn the bolts clockwise. You'll hear some creaking and popping sounds, but this is of no concern.
  • gchecksfieldgchecksfield Member Posts: 36
    Do you know the size? I tried what appeared to be the right size bolt and it soon tightened. I couldn't tell if the thread was the wrong size or if I was making contact with the surface below the hole. Thanks.
    If it immediately tightened, that usually means the thread pitch is incorrect (assuming the bolt hole isn't all rusted). A bolt has a diameter, but it has also has been cut with a specific # threads per inch of bolt. Higher strength bolts would typically have more threads per inch.

If you try to put a bolt in with the wrong threads per inch, the threads themselves start to immediately bind.

I haven't been following your problem, but did you look to see if there was a small locking nut on one of the lugs? I've seen very flat thin flimsy lock nuts on one lug nut, just to keep the drum from coming off when you pull the wheel off.

Also, on the inside of the backing plate flange, they usually have cut out holes where you can put in a brake tool (or flat screwdriver) and turn the starwheel adjusting screw manually, thereby moving the brake lining away from the drum. Many times the brake lining wiill be tight to the drum and grabbing the drum, keeping you from being able to take the drum off.

Those above two ideas are when the drum is loose from the axle flange, but still won't come off. If the drum is stuck tight onto the axle flange close to the center line of the drum, then some penetrating oil where the drum edge meets the axle and a little tapping should get it off.