Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Start Up/Ignition

Comments

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Is the estimated battery life in these cars around 3 years?

I've noted my lights dim a little more during start than before, but nothing serious yet.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I would say 3-5 years is a good range......
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    I agree. And if you live in hot climates (Phoenix) it reduces life. Also abuse of battery like running it dead often (not driving enough) reduces life.
  • loadfet17loadfet17 Member Posts: 5
    I'm sure battery life is normally good. However, the power outlet in the front console stays hot, even when the car is turned off. Not so good when you have a Sirius pnp left on for a 12 hour shift(my theory). My wife says she didn't leave it on, but the car seems fine now. I have since wired the Sirius into the fuse box behind the center console on the passenger side. It turns off with the radio now. Two weeks now and still no problems. If it was an alternator or something else, I could probably tell by now.
  • dannyvdannyv Member Posts: 1
    about every 30 days it don't want to start it turns over got fire got fuel but the dealer says ignition switch sensor
    behind ignition its 197.00 for the part suggestions :mad: :sick:
  • wavellwavell Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Malibu LS V6 and twice this winter I started the car and after driving it for a few minutes the tempature gage goes back to zero shortly after driving it and when I shut it off the car won't start. I have had it to the dealer twice and had it put onto the computer both times and they cannot find anything wrong with it. I hope someone has had this problem because General motors doesn't know what the problem is. :mad:
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    Just curious, I have a 2005 Malibu LS v-6 with electrical problems .What are the last six digits of your VIN to see if our cars were built on the same day. I was told that mine was made on a friday ,second week of Oct 2005.
  • slanda23slanda23 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 2006 Malibu. I've had it in to the dealer 6 times, they have changed the starter, the fuel pump, checked the computer, and told me there's nothing wrong twice. It's still not fixed. Has yours been fixed yet?
  • wavellwavell Member Posts: 2
    I found that when I let the car cool off it started and the next morning the tempature gauge hand worked. I have been talking to my dealer and they are looking at it being the sensor on the tempature gauge. I will let you know how this goes.
  • alsvikesalsvikes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 Malibu. My key wouldn’t come out of the ignition. I would then let it stand for a few minutes and restart the engine and then turn off the car. The keys would then come out. But, when I returned to the car and put the key into the ignition the key wouldn’t turn. I called a locksmith and he replaced the ignition and it seemed to work for about a week. Now at times the key will get stuck in the ignition again. Apparently I wasted $300 dollars for nothing. What is the real problem? By the way the steering wheel doesn’t lock.
  • lemmingriotlemmingriot Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Malibu. Last August my car would not start. I have no warranty on it, so I took it to a mechanic. He told me he had to replace the computer (BCM). I had it replaced (cost me $625) and the car worked fine up until this past Friday. It did the same thing that it had done not even a year ago. I brought it back to the mechanic and, magically, it started up for him. He says he knows there is a problem, and that this is a VERY common problem in the Malibus. I am probably going to have to cough up another $625 for this problem, and as soon as I do, you better believe I am driving that P.O.S. right into a dealership and buying a new car...and it won't be a GM.

The passlock has a defect (which GM denies). The anti-theft control inhibits you from starting your vehicle. You can bypass it if you're willing to wait 10-30 minutes to start your car...and it doesn't always work. I don't have a lot of money, nor do I make a lot. I am not willing to take my chances with this car any longer. I'd advise anyone having this problem to report it.
  • sybsyb Member Posts: 10
    Not sure if I am in the right forum, but here goes...
    I have a 2004 malibu lt v6 closing in 95,000 miles...
    The other day filled up with gas and while driving home, my fuel gage suddenly started dinging and showing low fuel readings... looked to make sure that I was not leaking fuel anywhere, no smell no leak... Since this was on Saturday, I waited for Mon to drive by my dealership...
    After discussing this issue with the Service Mgr. I was told to make an appt to verify if it was the "sensor", or fuel pump or even both that going bad... car showed no signs of bad mpg still avg around 31 miles per gallon, I drive close to 90 miles daily round trip on our freeways around 70 plus miles per hour... was quoted around $400 for the sensor repair and close to $900 for fuel pump repair..The next day Tues on my start up the fuel gauge returned to full and remained there for 2 and half days.. Now i don't mind the fact if it where true that my tank was full of gas, but since I pay attention to my actual miles driven I knew that this could not be true.. once again stopped by the dealership to review this issue, and was told that "maybe the issue has resolved itself"... Well I just filled up on Friday morning with 370 miles driven,the gauge was reading just below half full, the car took just over 12 gallons so my mpg is still on track and the car is behaving beatullify..
    My question is this after all this rambiling...can the sensor go bad and revive it self?? can the dealer do a check on this sensor and verily the condition of the same?? Is there a computer reflash that can reset this sensor???
    Hoping that someone on ths forum can advise...thanks in advance for any response... :confuse: :confuse:
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    It is a problem with sulfur sticking to the gauge windings. Try a bottle of fuel system cleaner, Chevron Techron is top notch. Walmart has it for about $7.
    The sender is about $30 so the rest is labor, which is very high at a dealership.
  • sybsyb Member Posts: 10
    Gonogo...Thanks for the tip, will give it a try, and see what happens...Thanks for the quick reply :)
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I would also say stay away from the dealership for repair since you are out of warranty...I use a local goodyear store for my services...I supply all parts....and their labor costs are %25 less than the dealeship service department....

gmpartsdirect for all my parts....discount prices on major items.....see if the parts department will match their prices..to save shipping costs...
  • delling4delling4 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem. This might sound dumb but I found that the key won't come out unless the gear shift is in the park position. If the key will not come out after turning the car off and putting it in park I just wiggle the gear shift a little bit while it is in park and the key will come out.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Hi, I have just bought a 2004 classic and only got one key, which looks like a Wally world special, but works fine. Does this mean I can have another spare key cut at Wally world and it will work okay? My mechanic tried to explain it to me, something about now the keys on newer cars :confuse: don't have a chip in them , but the switch some how knows if the key has been cut properly and is not being picked and runs okay. Also if the key is bad, how long would the car run before it shuts down in theft mode? Will it reset after a few minutes or would it need to go to the dealership to be reset? Thanks
    Go get a key cut, if you can find a blank it will work. My 04 Malibu has a transponder in the plastic part, nobody local can supply a blank, only on the internet.
    I had a key cut for my 99 Sonoma local and it worked, has Passlock 2
    So you have the new body style 2004? I may have to go to our local hardware store, Wally world cut one today for a 96 Sonoma (for an emergency get in the door key) and it wasn't right. I got one for the 04 classic also, but haven't had a minute to try it out yet. thanks
    Yes, new body style. The key for my 99 Sonoma had no plastic on the end so I put in my wallet. Never needed to use it since, isn't that the way.
    Thanks for the help. I had an interesting thing happen this morning - a big DUH!!! I had a Wally world special key made from the one I got when I bought the car, and I was going to see if it would open the door for emergencies and ........ as I am closing the driver's door which I had manually locked, to check to see if the Wally world key would work and cachunk, cachunk, cachunk .... as I closed the door, I heard the other doors lock...... the Wally world key wouldn't work ...... and neither would the key I got with the car :sick: I hadn't thought to check to see if it would open the doors or trunk since I opened the trunk with the dash button. If I had been smarter, I would have rolled the windows down just in case, but I didn't. So I call a locksmith to see if he can cut a new key from the vin that will work..... no, I have to go to the dealer.... Okay so I call the dealer and find out I need to bring the title or registration and a photo ID. Okay, get to the dealer and find out since I just bought the car and haven't got the new title or registration, I can't get a key cut. Called the guy who sold it to me, and luckily he was home and not far away and he came down showed his license which matched the name on the title and got a key cut. :) $5.00 to look up the code and 4.25 for the key and to cut it. Less than ten dollars and hope it works! Eureka! It not only opened the door, but it started the car! I asked about a new remote fob.... they want like $80.00 for a fob and $60.00 to program it. :surprise: We'll see, anyone know if there is a way to program it youself? Thanks
  • akilaakila Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if I'm on the right board... But here goes... I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu. Just until today, it never refused to start on me. Out of nowhere, it decided not to start this morning when I put the key in the ignition. I've heard of it happening to other Malibus before, but I'm not exactly sure what this problem would be. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Need more information - did it try to turn over but not start, did it just click, did it do anything at all? Engine size, auto trans or manual, mileage, modifications? New battery old battery? Good luck.
  • tysonsupertysonsuper Member Posts: 2
    I have 2002 Mailabu, but most of the time it fail to start and I notice Theft System blinking all the time.. However, I paid lot of money to mechanics but no result.. I really appreciate this forum with the help of this I am able to manage the problem by injecting key and waiting for 10 min after that it will start and its now 3 month I am living with the same problem.. But any one can advice what is the permanaent solution to this problem...
    Well to put it in simple terms, there are 3 wires coming out of the ignition switch module. Get the engine running and while still running cut the yellow wire coming out of the module. It will now always start with out reset.
  • lablady1lablady1 Member Posts: 3
    i have the same problem, i had the car 2 1/2 yrs and still having the problem. the starter sounds like it is sticking. I was told by the dealership that I need to turn the key over and let the computer go through its reading then start the car but, it didn't help lets just say that i wrecked my car last week because of electrical issues and now GM is sending a inspector out of NC to go through the car with a fine tooth comb.
  • malibuguymalibuguy Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, any info would be appreciated. I have a 2001 Malibu, 115,000 miles. In the past month or so, I've had difficulties starting, usually when the engine is warm, but it's occurring more frequently. The engine sometimes takes a few extra seconds to start, or the car will somewhat start (RPMs go up) only to have it die, sometimes I can step on the gas to get it going. After that, the car runs fine.

The battery is only 1 year old, and the connections look fine. I already replaced the air filter and spark plugs as well. Do you think it's the starter? BCM?

I also have not replaced the fuel filter yet, and have had the car since it had 18,000 miles on it. Where is it located?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • danraeldanrael Member Posts: 1
    I've had this '99 for a couple of years with everything working OK. All of a sudden, engine begins dying on startup, with all dash lights flashing wildly in unison. After 4-5 starts, am able to drive, once warmed up, but it sometimes dies as I am driving, with flashing lights. Mechanic said to replace fuel pump and intake manifold gasket. Only the gasket was replaced, and now problem is worse, as it won't stay on at all.
    Have fuel pressure checked when it won't start. I would start with a fuel filter before changing the fuel pump.
  • jmax4jmax4 Member Posts: 22
    Today my car refused to start for 10 minutes. After that the engine temperature gauge was and stayed on cold (no movement up noticed for the rest of the day during 3 trips). In addition the heat was gone and it was cold in the car. Is it possible that this is a Coolant Temperature Sensor failure? Does anyone know where it is and how to replace it? I have 2004 Malibu Maxx.
    I assume you have checked the coolant and it is at the proper level?
    The temp sensor is bad, you should still have heat. How is your coolant level, is the coolant nice and orange or rust color?
  • jmax4jmax4 Member Posts: 22
    Coolant has a nice orange color and is between the levels. It was filled in less than a year ago. I had the temp sensor changed already and after about 9 months the engine thermostat, because there was a code P0128 again.

Somehow, then there was a check engine light on, but not this time. Also, today, the temp indicator was working after a few minutes of drive and the heat came on after about 6 miles of drive on the second trip.
    I don't think that mechanics could find anything now. Any advise?
    When my 04 coolant gauge would not read I got a PO116 code, no check engine light though, they replaced the sensor under warranty.
    As far as heat goes if you have automatic HVAC it may not work with a malfunctioning sensor, just a guess.
  • ibatexibatex Member Posts: 3
    Simply put, I accidentally placed a wrong key in the ignition to my '99 Malibu. I then tried the right key and it would not budge the ignition, it's completely locked in the off position. Does this mean the switch is now damaged and has to be replaced? Or is there a way to somehow reset it?
    I should also mention that the wrong key was similar to the Malibu's key and fit into the lock just as easily. For this reason I don't think the key would've actually broke anything but maybe triggered one of the Malibu's stupid anti-theft traps. It just doesn't make sense that I can no longer use the correct key.
    If it was mine, I would try spraying some WD-40 into the lock opening and reinserting the right key and jiggling it around to see if any of the pins could have been stuck out of place when you used the wrong key. This may free them up and let them fall back into the normal position when the key is out and then the right key may work. I don't think this has anything to do with any antilock feature. Just a guess.... good luck.
    Thank you so much for the advice I will try this ASAP.
  • josephusjosephus Member Posts: 32
    Hi. Got an 05 malibu sedan.

Went to use my remote starter for the first time since last April or so (don't bother with it in summer) and it won't start.

Tried it with both key fobs. It's not the battery, cause everything else works fine, and there's no message on my DIC about that.

It's sending a signal because my parking lights flash, but the car won't start.

Any ideas? Thanks

Joe
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I can only offer the obvious: are you pressing the lock button first, and immediately pressing and holding the remote start button thereafter? Many people forget that they have to re-initiate the lock before attempting the remote start function.
    Yeah...I'm doing that. Also checked hood was closed etc.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    Did you also check the Driver Info Center Menu to make sure Remote Start Feature was not accidentally disabled?
    Yeah. Checked that too.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    he, he....sorry we're totally useless to you. Wrong thread, but I'm taking my car in again for another check of my steering gear and rack. I'll let everyone know of the outcome on that page when I get the diagnostic. I'm getting a lot of thunking noises when accelerating from stop and turning the wheel to the left. Sounds like the steering gear is rocking towards me upon acceleration.
    No prob.Thougt I'd check here to see if anyone else had remote starter issues before I take it in. My warranty expires on Dec 31, so I should do that soon.

Had a similar issue, Maxx4me with the steering. Had my column changed twice and just a month ago they lubricated something or another. I think thought that that clunking noise will be with us forever.
  • jadstjadst Member Posts: 1
    Perhaps someone here can help me with this - I have a 2004 Malibu Classic with almost 55,000 miles. Back in April 2007, after a couple times driving where the theft system light would come on - I went to start my car after work and it would turn over. The dealership said it was something with the ignition (pass lock something or other) and I paid $450 to get it fixed. Fast forward to Mid October 2007, theft system light came on one night, drove it to work the next morning, and when leaving work it wouldn't start. Had it towed to the dealership where they replaced the body control module (diagnosing that it had something to do with the computer?) They replaced this at no cost to me. About a week after getting the vehicle back, the theft system light would come on intermittingly, approx. every 5 days. (I was told to keep a log). The last time the light came on was on my way to work this past Wednesday. When going to start my car this morning, the car wouldn't turn over. I was told to have it towed back to the dealership - where I will be without a car again. Does anyone know what else could be causing this? I am at my wits end - and all the dealership is concerned about is making sure I fill out a service survey saying I am completely satisfied - which I obviuosly refuse to do until this problem is correctly diagnosed and repaired! Thanks!
  • dblagentdblagent Member Posts: 14
    OK, I am a pretty new Mailbu owner having only had this one for about 2-3 months. I have an 04 Malibu (not classic) with the 3.5 v6 and remote start. I tested the remote start 10-15 times when I first got it and then did not use it for about a month. Now it is cold out and I want to use it again and it will not start the car. I hit the lock button and then the start button and the car will honk at me three times and not start. ???? I checked to make sure it was on in the cars info center, turned it off and back on, still soes the same thing. I only have one fob so I cannot test another one. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Appreciate it if you do!
    Well, I took my car in to see about my remote start not working on my 05 Malibu.

The official report was " found that hood latch is causing concern with remote start".

They replaced the hood latch, and all seems to be well, so far.
  • egarridoegarrido Member Posts: 4
    I have a malibu 98 that gave me that problem and a friend gave me the solution ,there are 2 grounds located in the chasis near the battery,and 1 near the fuse box,get them out,clean them with sand paper,also clean the points of connection at chasis and put them back,that soved my problem
  • mike24567mike24567 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 malibu that I started up this morning (it was very cold) and drove it about a three blocks and then it slowly died on me. Started it up again and drove it about a block and the same thing happend. Now when I turn on the ignition to start it, the engine rotates but will not start. I am not sure if it is the fuel pump or some other part of the ignition system. If I turn the key to the on position I don't hear the fuel pump turning on. Also a few seconds after I turn the key to the off position I can hear a clicking noise which seems to be somewhere near the throttle body. I would appreciate any help or suggestions on first steps that I should take with trying to pinpoint the problem.