Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Suspension Problems

Comments

• steelydanfansteelydanfan Member Posts: 134
    You know, Rodut, I was thinking about your post as I was replacing my low beam headlights for what must be the 4th time since I have had this car. ( Whatever is up with that?).........Post intermission........at least these bulbs are cheap, I lube the little clip that the headlight assembly snaps into, and I can replace both bulbs in the time it takes to check the air in all 4 tires........I am thinking I can pit for a Dodge stock car driver somewhere.............

Anyway, as you have pointed out, the Pacifica has the looks inside and out, it is not your same old chassis going down the road, and that is what keeps me going with it........at 64,300 miles, I have a few annoyances with the Pac, but it looks and runs very well, the brakes are excellent, and overall, things could be much worse than they are.....I no longer look up the resale value of my 2004 Pac, because when I trade her in after 120,00 miles (my goal), resale will not be an issue......

Why Rodut, I just may keep her and one day in 20 years I may be the guy you see hanging out at the annual Tour de Pacifica road tour/swap meet.....(Post intermission #2 : held in Pacifica, Ca., of course).........I will probably be found at the booth selling replacement lo/hi beam bulbs. :shades:
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    No way ... in 20 years at the Pacifica booth you should offer bulb replacement too, not only the bulbs. Replacing them so fast is already an impressive skill, what about in 20 years ?!?! That's how you will make the big bucks !!!

The 1st time when I replaced the bulbs I had to pull the headlight assembly so incredibly hard that it made me believe that the fender would come out too !

After that I always went to the service department. So often that they were recognizing my voice only after "Good Morning". Probably that's why I miss the Pacifica. It was developing impressive social networks for me. Here on Edmunds, at the service department, with Chrysler customer service, even at gas stations I was talking with other Pacifica owners ! It was like a family !

The only stronger "car family" I ever saw was in Eastern Europe around a car named "Trabant" made in Eastern Germany (during the communism). They had clubs, meetings, they were stopping on the side of the road to help each other (which happened pretty often because the car was remarkably unreliable). I think the engine had something like 25 horsepower, 0.6 liters, 2 cylinders, 2 stroke, no valves, and the body was made out of cotton with some resin, not metal ! Do a Google search on "Trabant". You will enjoy it !
  • 2004pac2004pac Member Posts: 4
    I went in today for my oil change/23 point check and they noticed my sway bar links were bad. Had those replaced and the front end is SILENT! No more creaks, pops or clunks!
    Hey 2004pac, thanks for that post. I will definitely have my mechanic check the sway bar links, as I have replaced many other links mentioned on this and other Pacifica owner forums.

I was told one way to check for this ( sway bar problems), is to actually remove the sway bar, drive it at low speeds , and just listen. If the noise goes away, that is your part to replace.

Someone should make some chassis "remote microphones" that you just attach to various parts underneath and drive away......the noisiest location is just that.....your noise............you could just wirelessly hook it up to a laptop and drive around........
  • rhollisrhollis Member Posts: 122
    There is a recall or TSB on the headlight harnesses.
  • rhollisrhollis Member Posts: 122
    They do. It is called a Chassis Ear and it works extremely well.
  • luke_dukeluke_duke Member Posts: 1
    My pacifica had the same problem. I couldn't see it on the lift, and your mechanic probably won't either until they start replacing parts that you may or not need. Check the front sub frame bolts for tightness. The subfrome is kind of shaped like an H, and has four main bolts holding it onto the Unibody, or main frame. Its on the underside front of the car, with two 15/16 bolts not far behind the front bumper laying on your back, you'll have to have your head on the ground to see them. Once you find these two, you'll find the other two. Mine were so loose I had to put a jack under the subframe just to get the threads of the bolts to come in contact with the nut side in the main frame. My car handles much better and makes no noise. Total cost= $0. You can"t see the problem on the lift, but on the ground, the subframe will seperate from the unibody. I can send you pics of mine being loose if you want. Yes, I was that excited that I took pictures. -Let me know if that helps. -Luke. Feel free to email me at lakattalucas@yahoo.com
    Thanks, Luke. I have already replaced suspension/steering parts according to all of the other forum replies I have received over the last year or so...

A Chrysler dealer just wanted to replace the whole rack & pinion assembly, which did not surprise me. Why think/analyze when you can replace everything from the passenger side to the driver's side?

I would like to see your pictures, I will just contact you off of this forum.

Sincerely,

Brooks Davis(aka SteelyDan)
  • gourdmangourdman Member Posts: 1
    Could you possibly email me the pictures of this if you still have them?

Thanks

gourdman
  • junglis74junglis74 Member Posts: 2
    Hey pacman, is it possible that you had your back windows open while the front windows were closed, because that has happened to me and I remedied the problem by just having one of the front windows down to at least half way down and the vibration stops. Please let me know if that post was helpful to you.............junglis74
  • junglis74junglis74 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, about a month plus I've been driving my 2005 Pacifica when i noticed that my car was just making a rumbling sound as if my car was experiencing turbulance. Well, I continued to drive and I thought that maybe it was the road conditions but I realized that the roads were smooth and done on the highway for about 1 year so that cannot be. Well, what i realized is that the right strut came through the hood of the car creating a hole about a quarter size or about a half dollar. I was pissed off..........I took it to the dealer and they said that it was the way I was driving and i told them that I do not drive this car any particular fashion that would cause such a damage of such great magnitude and they said that my frame work might have cause it with the damage the car had underneath I told the dealer "listen, I've complained about this car from the first time I got the car and the car is front heavy and it's something that the dealer acknowledged. So if there's anything the car should be covered under warranty for a defective part and the damage the car suffered as such should be covered by the company with no expense out of my pocket all the way through and my insurance company should not be involved because I did not have an accident to cause such damage and I'm the only driver of my car. Can anyone give me some advice as to what is needed to done with this matter? Junglis74
  • jackjackson1jackjackson1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 05 Pac AWD. It developed the clunking noise heard when turning, especially tight turns. And the front end kind of quivered when it clunked. There would also be a thumping kind of noise when going from stop to forward. I had the PTU replaced. I still heard a muffled thumping noise after picking it up but thought maybe I was imagining it. A day or 2 later, the clunking had returned. Back to the mechanic. Of course he doesn't hear it. But my brother and I were in it and heard the noise clearly. It was just as loud as before. Maybe the rear end is bad? I'm at a loss. If a new PTU didn't fix it, what will? It's a bad noise. Metallic sounding. I hear it in the front end when turning. Now what?
  • jackjackson1jackjackson1 Member Posts: 4
    by the way my Pac was mfg'd in August 04
  • bluequailbluequail Member Posts: 2
    Hi Luke. I sent you an email requesting the pics. Thanks for the tips. For the record, I'll repeat that Big O tire company has given me a written repair order stating that the tie rod ends on my '04 Pacifica are bad. Lithia, the local Santa Fe dealer, says they are OK (of course) and can't find any issues that would lead to the Clunking sound during a hard brake (also of course). My Pacifica has a bumber to bumber warranty from SecureNet covering me up to 70,000 miles or 84 months, whichever comes first. The warranty is good thru June 19, 2010 and the car only has 67,000 miles
  • msuarez1msuarez1 Member Posts: 1
    hi, I have exactly the same problem. Service dept wants to change the R&Pinion. It's been a nightmare.Is there any chance that yu can email me those pictures too. I'll appreciate that. :confuse:
  • dillonsdaddydillonsdaddy Member Posts: 1
    i know this is probably a old topic but....... my 06 pacifica was grinding when the brakes got hot, like going down a mountain and riding the brakes. i took the pads off and they were only half worn. do i need to get all new rotors and brakes to solve this issue? please help me someone, im tired of beating my head against a wall! lol.
  • gina19gina19 Member Posts: 3
    Check your motor mounts...this is a chronic problem for Pacificas..we are on our 2nd set in 8 months because of the same symptoms.
  • clunkypacificaclunkypacifica Member Posts: 7
    This what I did, I had the following items replaced, rear motor mount, power steering, cradle bushings, lower control arm bushings, axle shafts, front motor mount, some spacers out on the axle end and rebuilt the trans. The only thing that was covered was the trans rebuild. After all this I still had front end clunk noise and the next thing they wanted to try was the cradle for $3500.00. Chrysler told me my 2004 Pacifica had exceeded it's mechanical limits at 35,000 miles. I had 60k on the car. I gave up on this car and traded it in for a Hyundai. I lost $5000.00 on the trade in and that doesn't include all the repairs. At least I can sleep at night...I'll never buy another Chrysler...
    This is funny ! I didn't look at this discussion group in almost two years (since I got rid of that piece of crap called Pacifica). I see that the tone and the subject here are the same.

Our Pacifica was clunking when driven off the new car lot, was clunking during all the time we owned it, and was clunking the day when we traded it ! Probably now it's still clunking somewhere, but fortunately I can't hear it anymore !

The hapiness I felt when I bought it, was nothing in comparison with the hapiness I felt when I got rid of it. I paid CAN$ 33,000 for it, and traded it for CAN $19,000 after 3 years. The best deal of my life, and I am not talking money here. Getting rid of a Chrysler is the best thing I ever did.

Chrysler logo: Clunking (not Inspiration) comes standard !

P.S.: do you know what "H o n d a" means ? It means: "Happy Owner Never Drives Anything else". Nice huh ?

Cheers
  • clunkypacificaclunkypacifica Member Posts: 7
    Hey Rodut, was your Pacifica a gold 2004, sounds like I bought your nightmare.
  • jft26jft26 Member Posts: 35
    I am about to expire the Bumper to Bumber warranty on my 2006 Pacifica AWD on the time side. I currently have 30K miles on it. I had it to the dealer service on Thursday, 10/1 and they advised that it needed replacement of the lower control arms and sway bar bushings. I asked if the car needed to be aligned after the replacement of the lower control arms and the mechanic said no. Does anyone know for sure if this is a fact or does the alignment need to be performed? Also, does the lower control arm come with the ball joint attached or do they just use the old one? Thanks.
    No it was not gold. It was red / 2005.
    Clunking cannot be fixed on those cars. It's a standard feature ! You may believe it was fixed each time you leave the shop, but later (at slow speed on bumpy roads) you will realize that they just replaced one more good part. It keeps repeating forever.

My advice for you is to just forget about the clunking, BUT every 20,000 miles take the car to a shop, and ask them to lift it and check the wheels for play. Plain safety check. The quality of the ball joints is the lowest I saw in 25 years of driving, in 4 countries. In 25,000 miles they are already dangerous.
  • tudstuds Member Posts: 2
    I own a 08 pac and have had noise form the front since day one. I got it used with 13k on it. I get the clunk and also a sound form front when you turn right. it almost sounds like the tire is rubbing or power steering fluid is low but both arnt happining.Had it in to dealer 6x for this and once they changed out the rack but it still happens. any ideas? anyone complain to Chrysler? I am about ready to trade it.
  • eeckerleeeckerle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 chrysler Pacifica AWD. It have terrible creeks in the rear suspension, you can push down on the back of the car and make it creek, when we drive it and slow down to turn people look at us its so bad. I had a independent mechanic look at it and he said all the rubber bushings in the rear suspension arms are bad, Lower Link, Lateral arms (2),and Strut Rod.He also said that the parts have to all be replaced, they are not only pricy but on back order. Can the bushings be replaced in these parts. Old ones pressed out and new ones pressed in? ED.
  • kevlaukevlau Member Posts: 4
    i fought with the dealership and they finall fixed mine. the front axels had to be replaced and the PTU.
  • vtraudtvtraudt Member Posts: 52
    Hi kevlau: can you repost the exact description of your problem?

Mine is just starting (2007 FWD) and is most noticeable when
    - right turn
    - bump
    My description: some clunk noise, but more so 'loose' feeling of the front end.

Also, can you describe in more detail what was involved (all the parts) when they changed "the front axels". And what specifically was wrong with the old 'front axels'?

Thanks.
  • jamscojamsco Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Pacifica Front Suspension noise was at low speed and braking; a grunch; Dealer worked to resolve, replaced Power Transmission Unit (PTU), bushings, and cleaned brakes. It helped but oddly was not completely gone until I had the front brake pads replaced and rotors turned.
  • tazwalker728tazwalker728 Member Posts: 5
    Hey there....just curious to know how this turned out for you... I have an '04 Pacifica that has always had the same problem with the popping noise on tight turns and when coming to a stop or hitting a bump and the dealer could never replicat it....now...my strut is popped up through my hood too and the warranty is up on the vehicle...it has 105,000 miles on it....but I still have it financed for another year and a half....I'm screwed....LOL....looking for advice...tazwalker728
  • bluequailbluequail Member Posts: 2
    Lithia, Santa Fe NM (really lame - now they charge $94.00 just to look at a problem) could never resolve the problem (4-5 visits). Took it to a local tire place and they replaced the left strut (third party warranty took care of it - they would not pay to replace both struts). Seems to have corrected the problem. 6 1/2 years old, 69,000 miles
  • pacman2009pacman2009 Member Posts: 11
    I have concluded that suspension issues come standard with a PAC AWD. From my 4 years experience trying to fix my 2006 PAC AWD suspension problems, I finally understood (takes me a long time) that the problem will not be permanently fixed by any mechanic and that it is due to an engineering design flaw in the PAC AWD system. I don't suggest that you spend any money trying to fix this problem as Chrysler will not be able to permanently fix it for you - they can only put a band-aid on it and although you may think that the problem is fixed after leaving the garage, after a few months the problem will be back again. Accept the fact that you own a seriously flawed vehicle with continued suspension problems, in addition to pre-mature oil consumption after 130,000kms (80,000 miles), and don't waste any more hard earned $$. I suggest that you simply decide whether you can live with these ongoing and frustrating problems... or not. Personally, I made the decision a few weeks ago to sell my PAC AWD, and buy a trouble-free Toyota Highlander. Good luck to everyone who is trying to fix their suspension problems, and lots of patience to you. If someone is organizing a class action, please keep me in mind.
    pacman2009, I agree with everything you said. Just a point of clarification here, the Pacifica FWD also has it's share of suspension woes, the problem was not limited to AWD models. Me, I have learned to live with it, I don't wan't to take a big hit in the resale department. I am just at 80,000 miles, once I get past 100K, I will revisit the idea. By then the resale value will be less of an issue....
  • pacman2009pacman2009 Member Posts: 11
    Steelydan, thanks for the clarification. I had assumed that the problem is with AWD only because of the added complexity in the front end, but I was wrong. I can appreciate that you don't want to take a hit on the resale value of your car today, especially since prices on a PAC have really come down over the past few years. Just shows you that we both have a car that is recognized in the market as being somewhat of a lemon, which of course has an impact on resale value. Good luck.
  • mbcr97mbcr97 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, first excuse me if all these relative problems are old news,I just became a member because I like to read the forums. First let me say that this noise is aggrevating especially when the vechile drive smooth on the expressway. I have a 2004 pacifica for three years and consider myself lucky. The only problem I had recently was this noise in the front end over city streets.Alot of ratteling over bumps at slow speeds. I had my mechanic suggest sway bars, idle arm, new struts which my right front passenger was bent, and upper and lower bushings, all this work was perform and nothing work, noise still there. Because of money spent he felt bad and was determine to find the solution. He had tighten the upper and lower bushinging tight for some reason he said they would not stay line up right,what ever that mean, but guess what,the truck handle and drove like a dream for two weeks and the problem came back sounding like something keep hitting alot of cheap plastic underneath. Now I just deal with it. As of friday in my driveway my daughter came in with this loud noise sounding like the fan was running,I ask her if she had the fan on inside the vechile, she said yes on low, next day wife took truck for ride and tramission left her stranded on the expressway. Im mad, and not so mad seeing I have not did anything to this vehicle since purchase other than change oil and chase the front end noise sound. I have deffinetily had better luck than those with a newer year,but in all These vehicles donot hold ther own value other than looks. Mine is fully equip, with all the toys and some modification on my own,which make people want one, I donot reccommend once the problems start,Now the battle begins.Mine was perfect from 60,000 miles to 90,000 miles, it would not be bad if mechanics wouldnot make it so difficult to sort out the problems, the majority of mechanics can't unless they baby sit your vehicle which mean they can't make money, but the running back and forth I just can do. Im very fussy about my vechiles,I own a 2003 audi and 98 mercedes and this vechile has cost me more than both my older cars and this is the new one. Good luck and I try to keep it real.
  • mbcr97mbcr97 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all not to rain on anyone parade but I love reading this stuff, I find many of you talented funny, in a good way of course,not here to insult people not my style because im a owner of the pac, with not half the problems and I keep it real and I can assure you all that this vechile should be name clunkcifica, Forreal, the truck has it pros and cons but is very poorly made. We deal with it because it has some style to it that we feel if we make it go away we will be happy to see a stylish vechile that not only look good, but drive good.This is a way of us convincing ourselves that we were burnt by chrysler. Accept it folks,mine perform at it best for 2.5 years, but when the problems started all hell broke loose. The best part of owning a clunkcifica is when you decide to get rid of it.Trust me when I get rid of mine you can have it for cheap,and mine still look like a 15,000 dollar vechile with all the toys, and I have not half the problems I read about. youll be doing me a favor. Sorry guys I call it like it is, im fussy about my cars, if your problem was solve, AS THE TERMINATOR WOULD SAY {I'LL BE BACK] SOMETIMES IT IS EASIER TO RECONIZE FLAWS IN CARS THAN TO TRY TO FIX IT,THESE ARE THE BIRTH MARKS OF CERTAIN VECHILES LIKE PEOPLE THAT YOU CANT GET RID OFF. WITH ALL THIS SAID,AGAIN NO DISRESPECT TO ALL BECAUSE IM A PAC,BUT YOU GUYS ARE HALARIOUS,I REALLY ENJOY READING THIS COLUMN. GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
  • ron1129ron1129 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Pacifica AWD and that front clunking noise being described by
    other owners is something I am experiencing also. The information provided by
    other Pacifica owners has been very helpful. I know now to avoid the costley
    repair attempts. I will look into the transfer case replacement and lower control
    are bushings. Not sure how to proceed beyond that because getting rid of the car
    is not an option at this time. I really like the car but that clunking gets on your nerves.
    My 2004 FWD Pacifica ( original owner) slowly developed the familiar front end clunking issues from about 45,000 miles onward. I originally took it in to a local Chrysler dealer , who diagnosed the tie rod linkages were bad and the whole rack and pinion system was bad. I only had the front brake pads replaced at the dealership and nothing else.

I went to an independent garage recommended to me by a friend.

Repairs performed:
    1. New front struts
    2. Inner tie rod linkages replaced
    3. 4 wheel alignment
    4. Replaced wheel bearing assembly right front wheel/adjusted "prop nuts" , made some adjustments (tightening).....

These repairs ( August 2008) were not entirely succesful, and the clunk remained, but the car drove pretty well otherwise. I lived with it.

Just recently, I passed 79,000 miles, and I needed a new battery and a 75,000 mile checkup before a long trip. I used the same garage, told them the "clunking" was still there, please go over the car and report back.

Here is what they found:

1. a broken motor mount, the other two worn.
    2. sway bar linkage worn( they removed the sway bars, drove the car, and the clunking was greatly reduced).
    3. outer tie rod end linkage worn...
    4. front brake pads retaining clips were allowing the pads to "rattle" , i.e. "not tight enough."

I am not interesting in getting into a new car, I just told the garage to go ahead and do it. Cheaper than a new car, my Pacifica still looks great and runs well overall.

Bottom line: two days later, my 2004 Pacifica drives almost like new. The clunking is gone, steering tighter, the whole drive is tighter........I am resolved to driving as smoothly as possible to make this last as long as I can.

For now, all is good with my 2004 Pacifica.....Hats off to Westside Automotive, they stayed after it until they had all they could to declunk my Pacifica. It should be noted here that this garage used to be a Volvo Garage when the present owner bought it 10 years ago. If you can work on Volvos, you are probably up for anything, which is why I let them have another go at my Pacifica's front end suspension.......

I still can't believe it everytime I get in my Pac and start off........ :)
  • jtg61jtg61 Member Posts: 43
    Thank you for a positive story for us Pacifica lovers.
  • mjsellersmjsellers Member Posts: 9
    I have an 06 and I took it in for an inspection. I was told that my tire rod needed to be replaced. Before I had it replaced I asked about the popping sound that my car made when I turned the wheel. I was told when I replaced the tire rod it would stop. So I had it reaplced and guess what. After $300+ the popping is still there. Mechanic said there was nothing else he could do to stop the popping.
  • hollybehollybe Member Posts: 1
    Hi- I am considering purchasing an '04 Pacifica. I am looking at one with 66,000 miles. It is being sold at wholesale and after talking to the dealer, I decided it would be a bad idea. Then I continued doing my research and have learned that front end problems seem to be fairly common with this model.

Therefore, I'm reconsidering the car I mentioned above. The dealer told me that it needs:
    1. bar bushings
    2. inner tie rods
    3. alignment
    4. blower resistor
    5. left window switch
    6. motor mounts
    7. UCI &LOF (I have no idea what these are)

My question is to those of you who have had these repairs done- did it resolve your issues or did the problems occur again later?

If fixing these things will work, it won't be a bad deal for me even with the cost of the repairs. However, if this is something that's going to pop up again I won't even consider this purchase and will probably look at a different make and model.

Thanks in advance,
    Holly
    Holly, repair #'s 1,2,3, and 6 are definitely related to the Pacifica's clunking/creaking front end. I am happy to report that I finally got rid of my clunk by having 1,2,3, and 6 performed as well as ( my choice) having the front struts replaced and my front brake pads replaced. ( The old pads were actually "loose" and contributed it's own rattling sound over low speed bumps). I personally don't think the Pacifica is a bad car, but I would say that aggressive driving will contribute to more annoying front end noises down the road for sure. I have only put about 300 miles on my Pacifica since the repair, and so far it drives much quieter and tighter , almost like new. I am also concentrating on driving "smoothly," i.e. no abrupt stops and starts, etc........We plan a long road trip in March in the Pacifica, so far, so good.

Repairs #4, #5 are not related to the Pacifica's front end, and I do not know what UCI and LOF mean, just ask the Service Department what that means. This could just be code for some routine maintainence services that any car would need at 66,000 miles.

Hope this helps a little,

Brooks

Repairs #4 and #5 have nothing to do with the front end. I too am not sure what UCI and LOF mean, ask the mechanic.
  • mjsellersmjsellers Member Posts: 9
    Wow that seems like a lot to get done. Hope you have a good and reasonably priced mechanic. So far all I have had problems with is the tire rod having to be replaced. But the poppong sound is still there whenever I turn. Jennifer
  • 2004pac2004pac Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Pac AWD with 90k on it. Have had the typically noisy suspension since about 50k. Lately though whenever I have to brake hard or turn a corner on an upslope or downslope, I hear a single loud pop/clunk noise coming from the front end. Almost sounds like a spring snapping. Any ideas on what this could be before I bother going to the dealer with it ? (I resigned mysef about 20k miles ago to the fact that these cars have noisy suspensions that will never be completely fixed so now my only concern is safety - if it's not a safety threat then I deal with the noise and save my $$)
  • roosterexroosterex Member Posts: 2
    I have a 05 awd took to dealer for a belt squeal, they replaced belt, noise still there, they had it three days, determined it is wind hitting something causing squeak, they drove car up to 60 put in neutral, shut motor off noise still there. put on lift started car ran up to 60 no noise. it is coming from what sounds like right front. they told me to put masking tape on everything till noise is gone then work back. any help please noise starts at around 50, no noise in the rain
  • roosterexroosterex Member Posts: 2
  • jackal4jackal4 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Re: Suspension problems. I have a 2004 Pacifica. I recently brought it into the shop to get the front outside tie rod changed. To the mechanics horror, he had found that the front suspension sub-frame was almost completely rusted through and was too dangerous to drive. As I live here in Canada, I called Transport Canada to advise them of this issue. They sent out a vehicle defects inspector to look at the corrosion and I was told that there were two other similar cases (2004 & 2005)and that they were looking at the problem. It would have cost me $2500 to replace. I took the car over to the Dealer and told them that I had contacted and reported the problem to the Fed's. They quickly made an appointment to replace the subframe for free ( silent recall?). If you are having similar issues, contact Transport Canada and report the problem it will save you thousands!
    I here you jackal4, I know I have read a similar post with front end subframe rust once or twice before. My theory on the rust situation is this: it has to do with living in cold climates where road salt is applied regularly.

I live in Houston Texas, and while I have had clunking problems with my 04 front end , rust has not been noticed by my mechanic..............again, it never snows down here, so road salt is not a problem.

It snowed about 4" on December 4th, 2009 in Houston, and we all stayed home that day to build a snowman in the front yard..........Houston was paralyzed.... :surprise:
  • chad1980chad1980 Member Posts: 1
    I am having these repairs done to the front end. I am having the tie rods and struts replaced by a local mechanic. My fee for parts and labor is about $700.00. Does this seem like a fair price to everyone out there?
    That fee is in the ballpark, for sure. Make sure they go through and thoroughly check the strut mount bolts after the install to make sure "all is tight."

Your mechanic probably already knows this, but you will need a front end alignment after these services..........

Good luck, and may your clunk be exorcised from your '04 Pacifica........Mine is much, much quieter now, and I am loving it ( after two tries)......
  • steveo686steveo686 Member Posts: 4
    I also have an 04 Pacifica, just turned over 100k miles and for the past month or so it has been making a clunking noise. Took it to the Chrysler dealer as they had just replaced the CV axles on both sides a few months prior. They claimed I needed new sway bar links and bushings for about $500. I'm cheap, so I took it to my personal mechanic who found nothing wrong with the sway bar links but DID notice my engine cradle had several alarming rust holes in it! I was surprised as prior to owning the Pacifica I had a 2000 Buick Regal that was prone to rust since it was 3 yrs old and with 185k miles on it, it still had a solid frame and engine cradle!! In addition, they found the clunking to be both front struts. There is no way I plan on sinking thousands of dollars into this car. I am surprised that a 6 year old vehicle with 100k miles is falling apart this rapidly! Has anyone else had this similar issue? I do live in a mountainous area of Northwestern PA but I make sure the undercarriage is cleaned regularly to remove dirt, mud & salt which could cause rust. I am extrememly surprised as there is no rust to be found anywhere on the body! This sounds like like it should be recalled like the Toyota pickups were about 2 yrs ago. I've always been a Chrysler man but I may need to find another brand where the engine won't drop out at 100k!!!
    I used to participate in a now-defunct Pacifica only owner's forum and I remember seeing similar posts once or twice before, always from a snow belt state. Despite your best efforts to remove road mud & salt, rust finally shows up , obviously the Pacifica has a problem in this regard.

I second your mechanic on the struts......as I posted before, make sure the strut mount is tight after the strut is replaced.

Sorry about the rust....