Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Transmission Problems

flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
edited December 2018 in Chevrolet
Hi. I have the automatic in my 2006 hatchback...it is suppose to have only 4 speeds/gears...mine shifts 5 times! I know when a car shifts and the tach. changes speed as well. I have a 5 speed gearbox! Does anyone else have this in there automatic?
I thought it was a 5sp in the stick shift only. But I hit 5th gear at like 50mph. Do I have an odd model? Or is this in everyone elses automatic? The sticker says 4sp automatic. I sure am not getting a 5sp mpg! Still getting 18mpg if I drive like an old lady. I tried having fun in the car...I got 16mpg on that tank of gas! So..it's old lady driving for me again. but...anyone else notice they have 5 speeds in their automatic? :confuse:

Comments

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    1-2-3-4-torque converter lock up (feels like 5 gears)
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Definitely the torque convertor locking up at 45 mph or so. Has been normal to feel an extra "shift" on most automatics since late '80s or early '90s.

I would bring the car back to the dealer on the mileage issue. City driving or not, no 2300 lb. car should get only 16-18 mpg. There may be a computer reset procedure that was never done before delivery that needs to be performed.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    Guess it has been so long since I had an automatic, I dont ever recall this torque lock up feeling. Must be a Chevy thing. All my Fords that were automatic,if they had 4 speeds, thats all i ever felt,4 speeds. This lockup drops the tach down by over 500rpms,sure feels like an extra gear. But if you all say so. I guess it must be right. :confuse: I agree about the mileage thing. I have to take it in and see if there is a computer problem. I can hear them now,'it hasnt broken in yet...',but I bet it is running rich in the fuel mix. I hope!
    But it seems nearly eveyone here has poor mileage,even the reviews on the Aveo says it has poor mileage for such a small car. Oh how I miss my shot at a Yaris! Even at $3,000 more!
  • vincent_viivincent_vii Member Posts: 9
    flaaveo: "Hi. I have the automatic in my 2006 hatchback...it is suppose to have only 4 speeds/gears...mine shifts 5 times! I know when a car shifts and the tach. changes speed as well. I have a 5 speed gearbox! Does anyone else have this in there automatic?
    I thought it was a 5sp in the stick shift only. But I hit 5th gear at like 50mph. Do I have an odd model? Or is this in everyone elses automatic? The sticker says 4sp automatic. I sure am not getting a 5sp mpg! Still getting 18mpg if I drive like an old lady. I tried having fun in the car...I got 16mpg on that tank of gas! So..it's old lady driving for me again. but...anyone else notice they have 5 speeds in their automatic?"

I don't have an answer for your low gas mileage but I do have a theory about your "5th" gear.

The '06 models are equiped with an electronic throttle instead of the throttle-by-wire system found in the '04 and '05 models. This is what I've noticed on my '06: The car actually only has 4 gears but when it reaches a certian speed the ECU or electronic throttle control goes into a kind of cruise state.

As far as your gas mileage issue, I would take the car to a dealer and have them retune/reflash the ECU.
    Every automatic I've driven since the early 90s has had the same sensation of an extra shift at around 45 mph and none of them have had electronic throttle (including my 04 Aveo). It has a locking torque convertor which "locks" and eliminates slippage when the computer decides conditions are optimal. On hard acceleration to merge into speeding highway traffic, that "last shift" may not occur until 65 mph.

Try tapping the brake lightly once the car is at speed and after that "last shift". If it feels like a downshift, that's the torque convertor unlocking -- they're designed to do that.

It probably won't affect you in FL, but in cold weather, the auto trans won't shift into 4th until the engine reaches a certain temperature. It is a built-in feature to minimize emissions. My parking spot is too far away to start the car and go inside to let it warm up, so it takes about 1 1/2 miles of driving before it'll upshift to 4th when it's below freezing.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    I assume that the convertor locking up makes for better mileage. The engine speed goes down by at least 500rpm's when it kicks in. It locks in at 45-50mph. God knows this car needs all the help it can get to get better milage!
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    I have *never* felt a sensation of a torque converter locking up in almost 30 years of driving mostly automatics. On AT cars with a tachometer, I can sometimes see the rpms decrease as the lockup occurs, but I've never actually felt it.

If you can feel it on your car, maybe the torque converter is not working properly. If it is slipping too much while you're not locked up, that would explain your poor fuel economy.

Bottom line- have the dealer do a complete inspection of the tranny including torque converter.
    I have *never* felt a sensation of a torque converter locking up in almost 30 years of driving mostly automatics.

Apparently, different people experience this differently. I have ALWAYS felt the lock-up in automatics I have owned or driven in the last 15 years from sub-compacts to full-size vans, from brand-new to very used.

The sensation feels like another shift, but a bit gentler and usually between 40-50 mph unless under hard acceleration to merge from an off-ramp or up a hill, in which case it could be 60+ mph.

Ditto for downshifts, as in climbing a hill -- as the engine loses power, you'll initially feel what seems to be a downshift, while in reality you're still in top gear but the torque convertor has unlocked to allow slippage and more torque for climbing.
  • kcourtneykcourtney Member Posts: 3
    we have a 2006 aveo hatchback that only has 5800 miles on it
    when we drive it the transmission wont go in overdrive until you reach 60-62 mph this only happens until it gets warm has anyone else had this problem? the dealership can't find anything wrong with it.
    In cold weather, it's normal to stay in 3rd gear until a certain engine temperature is reached. This is to reduce emissions and is a feature of other cars as well.

If the temp is below 35-40° F, my car won't upshift to 4th gear and then overdrive for the first mile or so. At sub-freezing temperatures, it's even longer.

If that is what you're referring to, the transmission is supposed to do this.
    what I don't understand is: : why is it just now acting this way it's been cold here (ky) for a while now the transmission has only acted up 5x that's what's disturbing us about it ">
    It shouldn't just happen intermittently -- there's probably some problem. If the dealer can't/won't resolve it, call GM at the number in the warranty manual.

Make sure to note all the details when the issue occurs so the dealer can recreate those conditions.
    Thanks, I'll try contacting GM, as the dealership says they can't find anything wrong, they put the computer on it noting wrong so they say.
  • shnailshnail Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am hoping that someone may know what the problem is... When I took the Aveo for a test drive prior to purchaseing, i noticed that it was hard to shift from 1st to 2nd, and then from 3rd to 4th. I mentioned this to the saleswoman, and she had a quick word with the service guys, and they said that if it persists, to bring it in. Anyway, I have now owned the Aveo for a week, I drove it to work Monday to Friday, with no noticable problems shifting. My wife decided to take it to an appointment today, and called me from the parking lot saying she had the same problem shifting as I did while test driving it. I told her i would take it in to have it looked at when she got home. She got home, and i asked if she was still haveing problems shifting, and she said that it wasn't as bad as when she went to her appointment. I then took it to my dealership, and found i had no problems shifting. The service guy said that unless i was having problems, there really wasn't anything he could do. Anyway, i drove around town with no shifting problems. Does anyone know if this is something that goes away? or is there something actually wrong with the car? The weather has been a little colder than usual. I live on the West Coast of British Columbia, Canada. And by reading the previous posts, sounds like the weather has something to do with it. the car is a manual trans. does the same problem that automatics have occur with the man trans too??

Any advice, and help would be greatly appreciated.
  • blk07aveoblk07aveo Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a '07 Aveo with a Manual transmotion Last Sept. And I also had some trouble shifting, after driving for a while it loosens up and gets easier. I think after a month there was a noticable difference. And now with 6,000 miles its nice and smooth.
  • angela50angela50 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2004 Aveo when test driving the car there was a little grinding noise in the car going from 10 mph to 20 mph I asked the salesman what was that and he said the it was because the car was a little cold and it would go away. I have owned this car for 3 weeks now and it is doing the same thing, while driving the grinding vibration starts at 10 mph and goes on 20, 30 and 40 mph, it will sometimes go away when I press on the gas petal a couple of times is feels like a gear is messed up but this is an auotmatic transmission? go figure, and while on the freeway at 60 to 65 it is a steady grinding vibrating, i took it to the dealer and they said that it was the tires, no, when i bought this car it was doing the grinding vibration I bought new tires and it still does the same grinding vibration and only when i am eccelarating the dealer say they can't find anything wrong I know that there is something wrong i can feel it when I am driving this car Is there anyone out there that can help me with this :cry:

thank you Angie
    Grinding vibration noise in Aveo :cry:
    Does the vibration stop completely when you take your foot off the gas?

Mine is a 2004 with A/T and it makes a grinding noise and has vibration from barely rolling up to highway speed. It does this ALL the time, though, not just accelerating. My mechanic checked all the wheel bearings twice and found no problem. It started after rotating my rear tires to the front -- he says that there is excessive runout in the tires, but not the wheels.

I would have an independent mechanic check the entire suspension, axles, CV-joints and wheels to find the problem and then have the dealer fix it if you have any type of warranty with this car. Also, check for a broken motor mount.
  • pbolpbol Member Posts: 15
    I will tell you again the aveo is picky on the tires you choose,I purchased some very good performance tires and it has no more issues,look for a very soft tread like a snow tire.The rubber on the stock tires are to hard.
  • akveevoakveevo Member Posts: 12
    I was wondering the same thing. I bought a left over 2006 Aveo 5 speed manual. Trouble shifting as well. I called Chevy and they said that for the 1st 500 to 1500 miles the car is in 'training mode'. I am now at 1700 miles and all gears seem to be shifting better. :)
  • noneuno50noneuno50 Member Posts: 1
    my aveo hand 128mils on it win i bot it now it has 39006m on it not even a year
    i paided $2000 for a clutch at 8800m now 31000m later i'm putting in a new clutch
    for $1200 agin chevrolet say's that its my falt for it. now look i know how to drive my boss at my construstion job lats me drive the 7speed bom truck and u have to doulbe clutch it just to go from 1st to 2nd and on top of that i got the warrenty and extended warrenty but nope it my fault so y did i by this car oh ya becus the computer over the weeked say'ed i can have a ues'ed metro for $150a month so they call me in to force me into a new aveo that it will last... not!!! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • timsehtimseh Member Posts: 24
    If you drive as well as you write, I'm sure that killing the clutch at 8,800 miles wasn't your fault. Don't see how they could have thought it was. You did mention to the dealer that it was under warranty the first time it was replaced, didn't you? Or did you take it somewhere else and get shafted for what should have been a covered repair?
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I have a friend who years ago had a Hyundai Excel whose clutch went out at 70,000 or so miles. He always claimed that the car was trouble free and he didn't have any problems. Well just because he didn't have to pay for the clutch work he didn't consider it a problem and told everyone the car was basically perfect. That reminds of the stories that I am reading about Toyota owners being told by service writers that some of the warranty/non-warranty problems/defects they are having are normal wear and tear and these brain washed people except that and continue with their perceptions of Toyota quality even though they are no better than most automobiles in recent years.
  • rstrehlowrstrehlow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Chevy Aveo and my check engine light constantly comes on. I have taken it back to the dealer time and time again and have been told there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. After a year's battle with the dealer a notice was finally given that in some models of the 2004 Aveo that there was a sensor problem in which the computer was falsely told the engine needed to be checked. The sensor was replaced, but my problem was not fixed. I have taken it back numerous times only to be told: you need more highway miles, you need to drive more, you need to burn off the coating on the spark plugs, you need to vary speeds, or simply that there is nothing wrong. Okay fine, so I drive my car on the highway and I vary my speeds; yet the check engine light still goes on. The last time it went on Wed, I drove it on the highway on Thursday and all around, and the light finally came off on Friday.
    I am very disappointed with the service I have been getting. There is apparently something wrong with my car; yet, I am always treated like I am crazy. My car has become the car that cried check engine. When something seriously wrong actually does happen with the engine; I'm never going to know because the light is always on and the only response I get is to drive it more.
    Yeah, thanks for that.
    I would be concerned. If the check engine light is coming on, then the computer is telling it to. If there's another dealer available to you, you might give them a shot. In either case, I'd ask the service manager to put a "co-pilot" in your car for a few days. That will collect any codes the computer is throwing that may be getting cleared before you get it back into the shop. It's entirely possible that the problem is the computer itself.

It sounds like the service department/person you're taking it to just doesn't want to bother doing anything with it. If you can't get any joy from them, don't hesitate to call GM.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    See if the dealership will let you borrow another gas cap for a week or so....Many check engine lights come on if there is a poorly sealed/loose gas cap...It might explain the random light episodes, especially if the car is running normally.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    First off I doubt if something serious is going wrong with the engine. When the light is on is the time to get the code read to see if it shows anything. On a side note Nissan has been rumored for years to have the light go on around 100,000 just so the owner takes the car into the dealership so they can recommend different services. If you are unhappy with the service I would consult another dealer or independent shop.
  • tmyles2tmyles2 Member Posts: 4
    Can someone please help me. I have all sorts or problems with my 04 aveo. The main issue is I have a automatic and I am having a hard time shifting from park to drive. I can move it around fine after I move it from park. The problem is moving if out of park. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? Has anyone taken it in and had this issue fixed? I am afraid I have damaged the gears and it will cost a lot to fix. I have had such a hard time with this car. I do not advise anyone to get a chevey aveo my warrenty is gone i have 65k miles on the car. I wish my parents would have bought be a Kia at least the warrenty would have lasted. :cry: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Sorry you're having problems.

It sounds like this "may" be an issue with the brake/park interlock. You have to have the brake pedal depressed for the transmission to "unlock" and allow you to shift out of park. It's a safety feature on almost every auto trans made these days.

I don't know about the 04, but I know the new ones have a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I wonder if this would be covered?
  • luckinsluckins Member Posts: 63
    I just bought a 2004 Aveo a week ago and noticed a similar problem, but I have an extended warranty ontop of the 5 year powertrain warranty. The car has had transmission repairs before, too. But, it also might be me that's doing something wrong. My last car before this one was a 94 Geo Metro and I had it for 12 years, so I have certain "habits" that might need to be broken. One of them might be that I don't push down hard enough on the brakes while shifting from park to drive, so I'm going to work on that before I take it in. Or, I'll wait until the problem is really obvious. I can get it out of park, but it takes forever to go into drive and sometimes it stays in neutral even though the lever is in drive. It could just be a linkage problem in my case.
    Sounds like you do have a linkage problem -- I've experienced this in another make where I had to carry a small screwdriver to insert in the little access hole near the shifter to release the transmission from Park.

I doubt that stepping too lightly on the brake is a factor at all. Either the interlock is disengaged or not -- it's not on a gradient scale where pressing harder on the brake pedal will produce a better result.

BTW, while I've had my issues with my 04 A/T, no problems at all with the transmission, either in operation or shifting from Park to Drive. It's Japanese-made, the same brand (Aisin) that Toyota uses on their ECHO/Yaris models and probably others.
  • yupper1yupper1 Member Posts: 17
    I had a new timing belt put on at 40,000 to avoid any engine problems. At 60,000 miles the car would not start. Took it in to a 5 star Chevy Dealer. I have extended
    warranty. They charged me $100.00 deduction fee. They said they ran a diagnostic on it and number 2 and 4 valves were bad. GM sent someone up to the
    dealership to look at the car, he could not find out why the valves went bad. Then got mean and told me it was my fault bad driving. I have had one ticket in my life
    when I was 17 teen. I am now 53. He said they would repair it but never again. I thanked him for being such a nice man (ha ha) and that he did not know what he was talking about. The clock keeps loosing time they can't seem to fix that.
    The thermostat had to be replaced 3 times which caused the car to overheat. The hatchback handle broke. The heater motor gave out. When I had the valve job done they kept the car for 2 weeks. They called me and said it was ready. It was riding hard as I drove out of their parking lot. I took it for a test drive around the block the car died. They had to tow it back. The guy got testy with me because I asked him if they replaced the plugs. He said if you know so much about cars why
    don't you fix it yourself. I said I would if I could but I don't have the tools for a nissan
    engine and you should have pick that up if you did a diagnostic on it like you said.
    They had the car 29 days plus 18 teen hours just 6 hours to go to lemon law.
    When I got the car back all they did was replace the number 2 plug, 2 weeks to do
    this. The day light driving lights stay on for a while then go out for a while. The engine light is on a lot. So I had to replace all 4 plugs because the car was misfiring when I left the garage. I only get 27 miles in town, 31 on the highway since day number 1. I have always had a chevy car. I will never buy another one,
    I will never go back to this chevy dealer. GM was no help at all. On a 1 to 10 scale, I rate this car a 1. None of the chevy dealers carry the parts you need. One
    time I needed a part and it was 6 hours away. I have vibration since day number 1.
    But they keep telling me I don't. I hate this little car, they made it with parts that
    are hard to find. The heater blower is located inside the car under the glove box I could not believe it. I said I would replace it myself I am sick of them wanting a $100 dollars every time I drive in to a Chevy garage. They said $140.00 out the door. I told them to keep it. I found it on the internet for $37.00 and $15.50 for shipping. I've got to find a different car this one has given me one big headache.
    Never again.
    Amen, brother!

I feel (felt) your pain. I had similar issues with a 2005 hatchback...For example, after the moonroof went out the 2nd time, I was told by the dealer that it must be my fault. So, I know where you are in this issue.

I was always treated like the red-headed stepchild on this car, and I can only guess is that the dealers don't make much cash on the Aveo, so they consider it a "necessary problem" they have to deal with. AVeo's are not pushed at any dealership in my area that I know of...

On the bright side, however, I was able to fix my clock from losing time...in my case, it was a poor grounding issue that was resolved when I had the Rostra cruise control installed. It required the removal of the battery and battery box, and after the cruise was installed and the battery reconnected, my clock kept perfect time from that point onward. However, in your case, I think the clock is the least of your problems...
    :sick: :mad: :confuse: :lemon: :cry: Bingo. If GM makes it they should back it hassle free. Don't they understand they can loose a lot of business this way. Now by valve cover which is made of PVC
    cracked in a v shape so now I have to worry about them freezing.

Thanks for the email

Yupper1
    My heater blower is not working properly. I have a new one on the way. Now the
    engine light comes on. So I go to Auto Zone. 3 codes. P0300 engine misfire.
    Po700 transmission control system (MIL Request).
    P0781 1-2 shift. Does anyone understand these codes?

Thank You
    Yupper1 :sick:
    I aws looking at the list of TSB reports for the 2004 model year and found this:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : AVEO Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    Service Bulletin Num : 070730007 Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number: 10022265
    Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Summary:
    AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE/TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER MAY NOT SHIFT OUT OF PARK (REPLACE BRAKE TRANSAXLE SHIFT INTERLOCK (BTSI) SOLENOID). *KB

Take that bulletin number to your dealer and see if they can help with that problem.

You can look up information on any car at:

NHTSA - Safety Problems and Issues
    Hi Tmyles2,

Thank You very much for your input. Will put it to good use.

Yupper1 :)
    Hi Tmyles2,

Thanks for the input. Will put it to good use.

Yupper1 :)
    I just started having this very issue with my car today. Unless it becomes a lot worse, I will mention it when I take it in for my timing belt change. It's weird because sometimes I can shift it without hardly pressing on the brake, and others, I can press hard on the brake and it won't move.
    I just wanted to mention to anyone who is having a problem with their car not shifting out of park that there is a little hole in front of their gearshift lever that can correct the problem, temporarily. It should say "brake interlock release" or something like that. Put a key-size object into it and push down while moving the lever while the car is running (make sure your foot is on the brake). You should then be able to move the lever around like normal. It does not damage the transmission, it just releases the lock. But, get the problem fixed as it's not supposed to work this way.

My car, today, would not get out of park and I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it fixed.
    In the last 5 days my engine light came on . Thanks to tmyles2 - did some checking for me and told me you can look up information on any car at:NHTSA -
    Safety Problems and Issues. This help me with the code P0781 1-2 shift. Serivice Bulletin Num: 070730007. NHTSA Item Num: 10022265. Component: Power Train:Automatic Transmission: Summary: Automatic Transaxle/Transmission shift lever may not shift out of park (Replace Brake Transzaxle shift interlock (BTSI) Solenoid). *KB. I have a 2004 Chevy Aveo Hatchback. My day light running lights go on and off. It is using gas as if it was water. It is riding very rough. It is misfiring. I also found another site: www.diyautotech.com/technical service buklletins/Chevrolet/2004/Aveo. My heater is also acting up. I found : Component Name: 060000 Engine and Engine Cooling
    NHTSA# 01744 Summary: Poor Heating performance/insufficient heat during Low
    ambient temperatures. Component Name: 061000 Engine and Engine coooling engine NHTSA# 050601030 Summary: intermittent misfire cold during deceleration or steady state highway driving with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCS)
    P0300. Component Name: 0610000 Engine and engine cooling: Engine NHTSA# 3064 Summary: Service engine soon light and rough running with diagnostic trouble codes P0700, P1781 and possibly a po300. *TT. Component Name: 061000 Engine and engine cooling Engine NHTSA# 01653 Summary: Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P1781 diagnostix is not in Si Yet. Poor Fuel Economy and/or harsh transmission shifts. Sit Bulletin 1413084. *MN. I can't wait Friday I am going to Lakeshore Transmission and getting a diagnostic done, then taking that and all the recalls (the only recall I ever received was the one about the back seat belts) to the Chevey Dealer. I am going to demand that every recall be
    checked. If I here it is my fault again, I think I will loose it. Then I will have to contact GM which I have done in the past and they were not to helpful. I will get a
    attorney. I hope this was helpful to some of you. Will keep you posted.
    Good for you! I wouldn't take that kind of abuse. Fortunately, the dealer I went to were very kind and tried everything to get it fixed under warranty, but it wasn't covered in my case.

One point to note, for those who don't know, TSBs are not the same as recalls. They are basically guides for the dealership for certain trouble-spots on the car. I've had cars with lots of TSBs and never had a problem with any of the issues listed. They don't have to fix them and you might have to pay for any repairs that aren't under warranty.
    I took my Aveo to a transmission shop and they ran a diagnostics on it. 1.6L91 Intermittent Misfire during deceleration or steady state highway driving after cold start with DTCs P0300,P0700,P1781 and/or U0401 set (Replace Valves and Valve
    Stem Seals). The reason I went to a transmission shop was that when my Aveo died in July 2007 I had it towed to the nearest Chevy dealer. 2 and 4 valves were
    bad. GM was called in. When he showed up he said it was reckless driving. He was very rude. I had the timing chain change 10,000 miles early to avoid this problem. Have not had a ticket in many years. Boy did he make me mad. He said they would replace them this time but never again. I have an extended warranty. I said you can see the timing chain is good you just can't find the problem. I asked him if he got out of bed on the wrong side. They kept my car for 2 weeks, they did not have a loaner car so I had to rent one. I pick up the car road it around the block and was back at the chevy dealer. This time they gave me
    a loaner. They kept the car 13 days and 18 hours, 6 hours short of being a lemon.
    I asked what was wrong. Fuel injecter was plugged and put a plug on the number
    2 valve. They charged me $6.15 for the plug. The towing, car rental and plug came
    out of my pocket when it was under warrenty. I said when you ran the diagnostics
    you could not tell that the plug was bad? He said if you know so much about cars
    why don't you fix it? I said because I don't have the tools for a Nissen engine. I work 1 hour away from my house so I stop in at the Chevy dealer there. I showed
    him the diagnostics papers and he said he would love to do the job but I had to call
    the warrenty people and they said I had to go to the other dealer because they have
    been paid once already for this and there is a 12 month warrenty on the job. The
    Chevy dealer were I work said when I brought the car back the 2nd time they should have checked the technical service bulletin there is no excuse for not doing
    this. So I called the other dealer told him I had a diagnostic run on my car and the
    number is---I don't need the number. So I have to wait another week until they can
    look at it. Then they will probably have to order the parts. He was very rude. This is a 5 star garage and they did not do it right in the first place and I have to go back
    there. Well I quess I will wait and see what they do. I drive 45 minutes to work, so 90 miles a day and it is using 8 galllons of gas. When it is all said and done I will
    be calling Chevy to register a complaint and if they won't do anything about it, I am
    telling them I drive a yellow aveo and I am going to get some black tape and all around my car it is going to say my chevy aveo is a lemon and chevy refuses to do
    anything about it and then contact the news and a attorney. Amen. Hope most of you don't have the same problem I have. :sick: :( :mad:
    I called and talked to my warranty company today. I kept getting different answers. First they said I had to go to the dealer that did the valve job. So I started thinking most of these jobs are 12 months or 12,000 miles what ever comes
    first. Then they told me I could go to the small transmission place. They don't have loaners, so I had to call them back again. Since I was getting so many different answers I ask them if there was any one there that was a mechanic and had been with the company for a long period of time. So low and behold I get this mechanic that use to work for GM his job was to create TSB. I told him I was getting all these different answers and he laughed and said, we are training many new people and they are suppose to check with there team leaders first. He said
    I am so sorry, how can I help you? I thought warranty companies were suppose to
    please the customer. That is correct. So I told him I did not want to go back to
    the Chevy Dealer that did the valve job. So he pulled up the work order. The car was in the shop for 2 weeks then they called me and said it was ready. I had to rent a car because they did not have a loaner. I drove the call around the block and
    brought it right back to the dealer. I told them the call is still driving real rough.
    They kept the car for 13 more days to change the number 2 plug and to clean the
    fuel injection. So the car at the warranty company says I don't blame you for being
    upset. First off they should of called us to see if we would pay for a rental, they should of told you this. Also they charge you for a plug that was under warranty.
    They did not check to see if there were any TSB out on this, so they broke GM
    standard of work. So they only did half of the job. He then told me to take it to a
    different Chevy Dealer and he would waive the deductible. Everything is covered under the warranty. They still have to send a inspector out just for the simple fact that anything over a $1000 this is required. So I go to the dealer and the service advisor says are you sure the warranty company said you could come here? I said yes they want you to give them a call anyway and they will fax you the first work order from the other dealer so you have a starting point. He wants you to write up
    this work order as a dispute, so GM can get this company honest again. The service advisor says I have been working here for 25 years and never heard of this
    happening. How can I dispute when it is not GM car anymore. I said call the warranty company. She calls me back 1 hour later and says wow you were right.
    The warranty company says I have the right to sue this dealership. For fraud, for misinformation and not doing the job right. If she disputes it, it will give the warranty permission and they will contact GM so GM can straighten them out. I don't think they will be a 5 star dealer anymore. I want to thank this forum it sure
    help me out.
    That sounds great and I hope you get your car fixed.

I don't know what state you are in, but I know in California, they have some kind of law that says that you have a right to take the car back if the repair isn't done right the first time. And, I think if they don't fix it after a certain number of times, you can either get a refund on the car (of course, you have to turn the car in), or you get the problem fixed for free for the life of the car. :lemon:

Someone else might be able to clarify that.
    thank you. I live in Michigan. I will do some further research. :)
  • johns9johns9 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same codes as you: p1781, p0700, and p0300. You said the resolve was to get to cylinder head valves replaced and a plug. Was it a spart plug? You also said that your car still runs rough? Is the check engine light still comming on? Any help would be appreciated...
    Hi Johns9,

Yes the check engine light comes and goes. Riding real rough, eating gas like it was water. Misfires. The first two times I had transmission problems this is what they did: Change valve 2 and 4. Still had problems they said it was the number 2 plug and fuel injector was plugged. I had a diagnostic run on it. They came up
    TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 1.6L L91 Intermittent Misfire During Deceleration or Steady State Highway Driving After Cold Start with DTCs P0300, P0700, P1781
    Replace Valves and Valve Stem Seals) Cause: the engine misfire may be experienced due to a valve sealing concern. You can go to www. NHTSA.gov.
    this site will give you all the recalls and all of the TSB. Reference Number:
    05-06-01-030c. This is covered under my warranty. It is $1000 to $1200 the job will
    take about 8 hrs. If you are still under warranty I would call them and check it out.
    Good Luck, drop us a note when you get it checked out.
    Well my 2004 aveo is in the garage today for the 3rd time with transmissions problems, the warrenty company will pay for the TSB. They also told me that they are having problems with the fuel injectors and they will replace for free. I can not find a recall on this. My car also started to backfire. Should know more by the end of the week. Codes that I got were P0300, P0700 and P1781
  • lisar082774lisar082774 Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: I have a 2004 chev aveo...that i had to replace the motor at 105,000. Since replacing the motor i have also had to do the O2 sensor...and all the plugs and wires. Now when i put it on the machine it reads a code of P0300, which the dealer tells me it is a random misfire code. However the car is NOT misfiring. We have had the engine light reset and within 5 minutes it is back flashing. Now the dealer informs me they dont know what is wrong with the vehicle. Anyone have any suggestions...i dont know what to do with this car...it is only 4 years old and in the past 2 weeks i have sunk almost 2500 dollars into it. ANYONE>>>PLEASE HELP!!! Email me at lisar082774@hotmail.com :lemon: :lemon:
    Why was the engine replaced? While 100,000+ miles is a lot, a properly maintained modern engine should have lasted longer. Was it an oil burner, or did something catastrophic happen (like a broken timing belt) to cause the problem?

Was the engine replaced by the dealer or a 3rd party shop? If the dealer did the work, was it his suggestion or your desire to have the work done?

I ask these questions because the average trade-in price on a 2004 Aveo is around 4200-4500 with regular mileage (not like the high mileage you reported), maybe less depending on the model traded for. $2500 is a lot to put into a car that doesn't have much value to begin with, and no warranty to speak of after engine repair, other than maybe on the engine itself. So, if it was your suggestion, then you felt it was worth it, but if you were led by the dealer to invest that kind of cash on the car, I would think he has an obligation to make it right.

If it was dealer replaced, it should have come with some type of warranty, which the dealer is obligated to honor.

So, if it were me under these circumstances, I would lean on the dealer to send the car to another GM shop for advanced diagnosis...after all, its their obligation to you for your $2500 "contribution".

However, if it was a non-dealer install, you could be in for an expensive time in search of the eroneous code explanation.