Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Security Passlock Problems

Comments

• bward1bward1 Member Posts: 8
    How much of a discount will I be losing? A couple of dollars?? Big Deal!
    That is much better then being stuck in the middle of no where with this piece of Pontiac Junk.
    I cut my yellow wire.
    So Far So Good.
    I will eat the differnce in insurance.
    I have been stuck twice, alot of people have been stuck much more.
    Besides, if thiefs were smart they would stay away from these junk cars, Steal something worth while.
  • hgosinskihgosinski Member Posts: 22
    I was just wondering how long it's been for those of you that cut the yellow wire, that it's been working?? I'm kinda scared to do it, so I want to make sure it really works first. Don't know what i'm so afraid of, at this point anything would be better then what's been happening... My car is still at the pontiac dealership. They've had it almost a week now, I'm thinking that's probably not good. This sucks!!!
  • sbrcatpucksbrcatpuck Member Posts: 4
    Before cutting the wire, try this. Go under the hood to the main fuse panel/panels and pull out the high amperage fuses. Look at the blades for corrosion. Since these circuits can draw a large current it would only take a resistance change of less than a 1/8 of an ohm to make a large voltage drop. I can confirm it later on, I have my wifes Monte Carlo torn appart for both a passlock and a radio problem, both seem to be worse when the car is hot (in the engine compartment, it never seemed to make a difference how hot it was inside)
  • raycorriraycorri Member Posts: 13
    Here is documentation of why this works. It is originally from these GM engineering documents for trucks. All Passlock I and II systems are the same. In most, it is actually easier to access the Yellow Data Wire near the Ignition. This is why we enter through the radio compartment. The "cut the wire" method is just an extreme shortcut to the addition of a "toggle switch". This is the old-old school method which pre-dates the "relay and resistor" bypass and the newer "bypass modules" made for remote starters. The latter two options will not work if you have intermittent wiring problems since they still utilize sending a code via the data wire. You have to be able to start your car at least once in order to trigger "fail-enable" mode. If your car will not start any longer, it's too late to cut the wire.
    http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull2wsA.pdf and
    http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull26.pdf and
    http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2004_BB/2003_Beyond_LD_Electric_CK.pdf pg A29 and A30

rewrite of bulletin for Cars
    http://pontiacowners.com/pontiac/showthread.php?p=1865

How to replace the Ignition Lock Cylinder by bolt 3/11/2006 w/photos.
    http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55639

By the way: A dealership will never disable the Passlock for you---even if they know how. I don't think a recall will ever happen either. It has to be a safety issue. That's why they programmed "fail-enable" mode for passlock. If passlock or passlock wiring was to fail while you were driving down the road, your car will not shut down. Hence, it's not a safety issue if your car will not start.

Enjoy the reading material!
  • bward1bward1 Member Posts: 8
    That is interesting, Please let us know if that works.
    Brian
  • dsudeltadsudelta Member Posts: 5
    Just like the majority of the people in this forum, I too am having problems with my Passlock System. I was told by my mechanic (not affliated with GM) that he could reprogram the system, but I would eventualky have to replace the system. He has reprogrammed it once and one week later the problem still persists.

Before I pay the original dealer $500 to replace, I am going to try cutting the wires. I will keep you posted if there are any problems.

BTW, great forum. I thought I was the only one having the problem. :confuse:
  • virgo58virgo58 Member Posts: 10
    Just a thought - before you do that you may try contacting GM. Although my problems started when my car was still under warranty, GM is now fixing and I firmly beleive this problem should have been a recall. You might mention the postings on this site and suggest just that, that you feel your problem is due to a problem that should have been recalled and they may very well take care of it for you - THEY SHOULD!!!!
    I did just that, I took my car to the pontiac dealership, and I told them about this website, and I told them I knew what it was, and I told them that they better fix it somehow, and not try telling me it was something else, and they did. They said it was the passlock system, and that they had to replece the theft modual, and also my starter relay was bad, but this was two weeks ago, and so far my car is starting all the time. Unfortunaley it coast me 600 bucks, and I think that's bull$#@!, but anyway, it works, and hopefully it will continue to work.
  • dsudeltadsudelta Member Posts: 5
    Unfortunately, my car is no longer under warrenty. I did however call several dealers in my area and they all quoted different prices. Prices ranged from $500 to $900. Hmmmm. Anyway, after cutting the yellow wire, I have had 15 successful starts. As mentioned by a previous post, the security light does remain on.

Also, I was told by the mechanic at the Pontiac Dealership that even if I replace the passlock system, it could go again in as few as 200 hundred starts.

I will stick cutting the wire for now. :D
  • ginkle7ginkle7 Member Posts: 3
    ok i did cut the yellow wire and nothing..that was 2 weeks ago, so i was told to get a bypass kit and install that and just bypass the passlock all together. anyone have any thoughts on that???please answer asap, gonna try in morning...

thanks
    ginkle7
  • needmycarfixedneedmycarfixed Member Posts: 9
    Alright, I guess we get to spend more money trying to get this 02 back to running. It sounds like the fuel pump isn't working. We got the switch tested and they said it was bad (shock, shock) and of course we go back to Auto Zone and another shocker - they can't order the part - have to go to the dealer. We are so tired of dealing with this car! 45,000 miles, $3000 owed, and almost $1,000 put into it this year just to get it running - now the 3rd time in a year its been down! I used to love my GA, had one with no problems for 6 years prior to this one - never again will we buy a pontiac grand am!!!!!
  • raycorriraycorri Member Posts: 13
    You never answered. Did you cut the Yellow Wire while the engine was running? The "cut the wire" method will only work if you can get your vehicle to start one last time. If not----a "resistor bypass" method that I have heard about is to---- strip a section of the Black Passlock wire. Then cut the Yellow Passlock wire and place a resistor within the 15 possible GM resistance values between the black wire and the (engine side)of the yellow cut wire. Perform the 30 minute Relearn Procedure.(3 consecutive 10 min. reset procedures)This will teach the car your new resistor value. Sounds like it could work in theory, but I have not tried it myself. Good Luck!
  • college4lifecollege4life Member Posts: 5
    My car is a piece of junk 2001 Grand Am 2.4l, 4 cylinder...
    Hi I've read all the previous posts and I'm having about the same problems. I tried the 10 min. passlock bypass but the car still won't stay started. What happens is as soon as I start the car about 2 seconds later it shuts off. It starts fine but then just shuts off. The weird thing is also that the CD player doesn't work, the door unlock/lock buttons don't work, the trunk release button, or any of the buttons on the key chain don't work either. The battery isn't dead becuase everything else works just fine on the car. I checked the fuses and all looks good. Is there something that I'm missing? If the passlock system was bad would it shut the car down like this and disable the locks and cd player? Any help would be great.
    Thanks!
  • osh786osh786 Member Posts: 1
    I am really pissed about my 2000 Grand AM too. :mad: We had the passlock problem for the past couple of weeks but this morning it just would not start. The security light just stayed on and the started made a clicking noise. I called my mechanic and he said the security system was locked and needed to be reset. He also said that it could be a bad key and we may need to get new keys. He said resetting the system will cost about $100 and keys are $45 each, so I think I'm getting a good deal compared to most of you. Once it starts, I am sooo going to try cutting the yellow wire. I'm sick of this!
    Alright, here we go again on this 02GA! We replaced the fuel pump switch - nope....still not working right.
    replaced the oxygen sensor (which is what the codes came up with) nope......still not working.
    now maybe it's the catalytic convertor?

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! We went out and purchased - with cash!! a 94 taurus this weekend. We figure shell out the 1700 for the used car with only 90,000 miles and sell the piece of junk 02 grand am with only 45,000 miles!! and save money!!!!!!

In the last 10 months I have been unable to drive this car for 4 whole months and out of the last 6 months it made it out of the driveway 3 months!

NEVER AGAIN WILL WE PURCHASE A GRAND AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't wait to get rid of this car and start driving the Taurus! The fact that it has no cd player (cassette only), no keyless remote, no security features, no power windows (a crank!!!), you unlock and lock the doors yourself - oh, and the trunk! all of it is worth being able to actually DRIVE THE VEHICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The ONLY thing I will miss about the car is the "can't lock the keys in the car" feature!
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Doesn't sound like the passlock to me. First of all, if it was, it wouldn't start at all. Second, the security light would come on and stay on.
    It may be ignition switch related, quite often these symptoms go back to the ignition switch.
    I went back and read your other posts. I don't see anywhere that you took it to competent dealer shop to have it diagnosed, just to Autozone to have the codes read and then threw parts at it trying to fix it. Those guys aren't typically very knowledgeable about what the codes really mean, but are always willing to sell you parts.
    I don't understand the logic of spending $1700 on a high mileage Taurus which may or may not be more reliable (my experience is it won't) instead of having the newer, lower mileage car fixed right.
    At any rate, good luck.
    I have an 02 grand am also, and even if he takes it to a well known, or even a pontiac dealership, they either don't know what's wrong with it, or won't admit what's wrong with it, and you spend a bunch more money for them to switch out parts that don't need to be replaced. I know, I've been to the dealership, and have sent 2000.00 already, and still can't drive that piece of crap. I will say this, I did have the passlock system replaced, and i've been able to start my car with no problem. I know that sooner or later it will malfunction again, and then I will cut the yellow wire. But I still can't drive the thing, because now it's overheating, and I took it to AAMCO, they had it twice know, and still haven't gotten this new problem fixed. I am going to try to take it back where I got it from, and trade it. I don't know if that's an option, but it's worth a try! :mad:
    I've never had that problem. The few times I've been in to Pontiac they have have taken care of the problem the first time. The quality of dealer service varies widely just like everything else I suppose.
    I do know one thing though, if I spent $2000 on repairs that didn't fix my problem then the regional service manager would be hearing from me regularly.
    You could have an intake manifold gasket leak. A known problem on the V6, if that's what it is.
    When we took it to the dealer to get the fuel switch - we thought we'd have to order it - nope. They said they keep at least 5 of the switches on hand since they go through them so quickly.
    Now we may not have a choice but to go back to the dealer. The car is no longer under warranty so it's out of our pockets -which is why we've not had them doing all the work. The other mechanics we've seen are out of suggestions since we've replaced everything that the codes are flashing. We don't want to sink a whole lot more into this car since we are definitely selling as soon as it is driveable again.

Right now, you can drive it but is lacking power. It stalls upon acceleration. The stored codes show a problem with the # 2 oxygen sensor heater, rich fuel mixture and random misfire. We replaced this oxygen sensor this week and a new coil pack, ECM & spark plugs less than 200 miles ago.
    We completed the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University and began the Total Money Makeover to get out of debt. Most people believe (we've been one of the them) that you have to keep new cars and when they are paid off, it's time to trade in for a newer one instead of staying out of debt with another car payment. We've decided we're tired of living in debt and every vehicle we purchase from now on will be with cash and not on credit & financing. We had a taurus in the past with no problems and this one was taken very good care of and recently had new parts installed so it will last us for quite awhile. With the Grand AM, we've sunk more than 1,000 in it these past 10 months. The Taurus will pay for itself in car repairs, insurance and car payments we won't have anymore. We have our emergency fund and we'll set aside 20 a month so if we have a car repair or want to purchase a different car in the future, we'll have the cash to make the sale - not the interest and payments.
    Yea, that's what I was thinking it may have something to do with the ignition switch. Although when I was trying passlock reset thing by waiting 10-15 mins. with the key to the on position, I wasn't turning it to the off then trying to start it. So, I'll try that this Friday if not, I'll be taking it to the dealer and I'll update on the problem. Also, I think everyone should file a complaint with the Office of Defects Investigation which is part of the NHTSA. I already have and it only takes like 5 mins. The link is http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ You need the VIN number of your car also.
    The cars only got 45,000 miles!! Seriously man you should be calling GM directly and filling a complaint. You may be able to delare your car a lemon and get a replacement. Also, with only 45,000 miles most of those repairs should have been covered under manucatures warranty even if you didn't purchase from a dealer. I'd give Pontiac a call and ask some questions and file a complaint with them. Here's the number 1-800-762-2737 also you will need your VIN number.
    We did purchase the 02 from a dealer - Christmas Eve in 02 actually. I think it had less than 6,000 miles when we got it. (can't remember actual)We called about the warranty when we first had problems last year - because we hadn't had the car for 5 years and didn't purchase an extended warranty (our old GA was VERY dependable and had it for 6 yrs!) but they said the manufacture's warranty was up - even if we didn't have it for 5 years.

Thanks for the number! We will definitely be giving them a call!! We found this site by accident looking for recalls on the car.
  • sheil2sheil2 Member Posts: 4
    Okay so i was woundering why my car would not start? i could hear a slight faint sound of clicking when i turn the key ignition to start but nothin...I tried the batteries along with the cables an nothing. I tried tappin on the starter but nothing...so i am thinking maybe it's my pass lock system, but i am unsure, could it be? or what? Have any of you got somewhere near or had my experience ever? just need to know, i am here in germany an ufortunally it's hard to find a place that could fix american cars such as pontiac's by the way i own a 02" pontiac grand am GT, but rite now it sux because i can not get it to start. Could someone help me try to figure this out. I also tried to check the electrical fuse box underneath the hood but it seems to be working okay. By the was not to mention the small ticking is by the fuse box so please someone help me please......???????? :mad: :cry::cry:
    I think it is your passlock system. That is what my car was doing, so I took it to the pontiac dealership, and they replaced the theft modual, and I also had a bad starter solenoid, but to get your car to start, you need a new theft modual, for that passlock system...at least it sounds like it. Hope this was of some help.
    If it's a passlock problem then the security light in the cluster will turn on. Could be the starter solenoid, if it's not working or getting actuated then the starter won't turn. I take the lights and other systems work OK?
  • sheil2sheil2 Member Posts: 4
    The security lights are fine, cluster um my car is an automatic. I don't know what's wrong with it it's hard to just take it to a dealer since i'm way out here in germany. I just don't want to take it some where an have them really miss it up, so i think it might be the starter solenoid. WEll checked the fuse box an even tapped on the starter but nothin. The car keys turn to start position but all you could hear is a small click..click...click noise but it's like a faint noise an then it goes off. The engine does not turn or no fire going no where. The lights inside the car are okay it just not as bright anymore but front light's on bright are really bright...I just hate it rite now. I just picked up my car three day's ago from being shipped, an now i get this what a big help for me to get around... :confuse: well if you might kind of know from what i just said please mail me bac asap!!! thank you very much....
    You tried jump starting it off another battery, a known good battery, right?
  • momof3divazmomof3divaz Member Posts: 4
    I've had problems with the passlock system since I bought my 2002 Grand Am. I've had the system reset 3 times in the last 6 months so believe me when I say I've reached my breaking point. :mad: There's nothing worse than getting off work and being stuck in the parking lot cause your stupid car won't start. I'm scared to go anywhere other than work and home cause I never know when it'll decide not to start. And as for the security light... I don't know about anyone else but mine doesn't always come on when I first start having problems with passlock... the car just won't start. When my security light comes on... I know I only have a few more starts before I'll have to have that hunk of junk towed. So, in addition to making car payments, I'm shelling out between 300 and 500 dollars every other month for repairs. Not to mention tow truck fees. Its absolutely ridiculous! Last summer I had problems with the intake manifold ... cost me $800 and I'm still fuming about that! Pontiac should be ashamed. Their cars are nice to look at but that's about it. I read one of the posts where someone was trying to get reimbursed for all the expenses they've incurred .... good luck with that cause it sure didn't work for me. My claim was denied. But this time if I have to take them to small claims court to get my money back, I will. I just can't afford to keep throwing away money for what is obviously a defective part.

BTW - The city I live in has a segment on the news where consumers can voice problems their having with businesses and most often than not it helps because the companies don't want the bad publicity. I think I'm going to give them a call.

Good luck to everyone stuck with one of these :lemon: . Hope you're somewhere safe when your car won't start! :P
  • orrnd99orrnd99 Member Posts: 2
    I seem to have the same issue with my Grand-Am - I can hear the fuel pump priming, it will turn over, but then it shuts itself down and will not start at all (for a few weeks it would start after a little while, but now not at all). I can't seem to get the "reset" procedure to work (assuming I'm doing it right) either - it simply won't start. My security light doesn't continue blinking though, so maybe that has something to do with it - my light only blinks 5 or 6 times and then goes solid. I've tried the "reset" and the "relearn" (reset x3) and neither seems to work. And since I can't get it to start, I don't want to go and snip the yellow passlock wire.

Based on some of the threads I could find I decided to replace the ignition lock cylinder (instructions I found at: http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55639) but it still doesn't work. I don't know that I can go much further myself and I really don't want to go to a dealer. Oh yeah, I replaced the battery too.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them. I beginning to fear that I will never drive this piece of junk again. Thanks!
    Well, I posted earlier I was having this issue and the dealership has just got done fixing my car. It wasn't the Ignition Lock Cylinder. They had to replace the BCM (Body Control Module) This has the passlock system in it and controls the fuel pump shutoff too. They replaced this and all is running well. I'm not sure how to replace this yourself. I'm pretty sure they had to reprogram the new BCM.
    Well, our 02 has had 2 new coil packs & ignition control modules, a new fuel pump switch & catalytic convertor all within the last 10 months and with only 45,000 miles on it. It gets out of the shop today and we are putting it for sale and will never buy another Pontiac Grand Am again!
  • momof3divazmomof3divaz Member Posts: 4
    Is your car in the On position or the ACC position when you try to reset it? I think mine only works in the ON position... the lights on the cluster come on but then everything goes off except the security light. It blinks for about 10 minutes and then goes off. After that mine will usually start right up. Usually the security light will go off when I reset the stupid thing but this time it didn't. I'm a single parent and can ill afford to be without a vehicle for any amount of time so I have no choice but to keep repairing it. Anyway, I was able to drive it to the dealership (which I absolutely did not want to do!) this afternoon and now its 5 hours later and I'm still waiting to hear something. Honestly, I don't think they even have a clue what's wrong with it. :confuse:
  • jmb2jmb2 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else seemed to notice if it happened in rainy weather. I recently begin to notice that if the weather is rainy my security light will come on while I am driving and the last time it did not start at all was when it was raining. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.
  • orrnd99orrnd99 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Phoenix, AZ - so not much rain. Mine at least is not related to the rain.
    I don't think the rain has anything to do with it either. Typically the passlock problem is caused by the Hall effect sensor mounted to the ignition switch, but it's possible that the BCM could also be faulty. Neither of these are exposed to outside moisture (not supposed to be anyway).
    :cry: Well, so far so good with the whole car starting, not starting thing, I had the theft modual replaced at the Pontiac dealership, and the starter relay, and haven't had any problems with that. But now, my car has been back and forth to AAMCO with an overheating problem, and they can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. They replaced the thermometer, they flush and filled the radiator, and everytime I bring it home, it starts overheating again. They checked everthing, the computer is working fine, yet it's still overheating. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just can't believe this car... :cry: :mad: :confuse:
    Is it leaking? Is the coolant level in the resevoir going down with no external leak apparant? Is the electric cooling fan working?
    The coolant fans are working, nothing is leaking. The car gets sooo hot, that the overflow resevoir overflows, but that's the only place anything ever comes out of the car. And of course the mechanics fill it back up with the dexcool. The place my car is at now said that everything appears to be working fine. They said that there could possibly be something clogging up the radiator at the bottom that flushing wouldn't have gotten out...but then she said it might also be the waterpump, what do you think?? I've already spent soooo much money on this car, I just want to hear what everyone else thinks, or if anybody had a similar problem, and what they did, or would do. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • wngwng Member Posts: 1
    I too have been having problems with the passlock system on our 2002 Grand Am, and we don't even have remote locks on the vehicle. I reset the system by leaving the key in the "on" position for 10+ minutes, turned it to "off", and then started the car. It fired right up. Don't know how long this will last, but for now it's working. I also feel that GM is responsible for this problem and am personally submitting a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) at the following link: NHTSA-File a Complaint

If there are sufficient complaints, they will start an investigation which could lead to a recall on this problem. Please feel free to add your complaint.
    If anyone who has a Grand Am is sick of fixing it and would like to file a complaint with the NHTSA - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Please file a complaint it only take a minute. Especially file a complaint if your having trouble with the PassLock system which is junk and should be recalled!!
    Just click this link to file a complaint!
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    Good luck. People have tried before, but Passlock is not considered a safety defect, which is what the NHTSA is interested in.
  • nobullchitbidsnobullchitbids Member Posts: 53
    Did anyone else bother to read the manual on this?

Cutting the wire (or installing a toggle) only works a) if the vehicle already is running, and b) IF ELECTRICAL CONTINUITY HAS BEEN MAINTAINED!

All of you people who are cutting the wire should understand that, as soon as your battery goes dead or is disconnected, the Passlock system will rearm, at which point you won't be able to restart the vehicle because the wire is cut! Then try to figure out what's wrong (without reading this post).

I strongly recommend that anyone trying to disable the system do so by installing the toggle. That way, if the system rearms, you can turn the toggle "off" -- reconnects the wire -- which would be the same as having the Passlock system engaged normally.

Make certain you follow ALL of the directions for installing the toggle. This system is only a 7 mA system; the toggle must be very high quality, and the wire leads to it as short as possible, so that the Ohms values are not changed. Otherwise it might not work either.

;)
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3
    If your catalytic converter is bad the dealer must replace it for free if you have less than 80,000 miles on it and it is less than 10 years old. NOTE: The since it will be a warranty repair, the dealer may try for add on repairs (stating that they need to clean or replace sensors etc.) don't fall for it and always ask to keep or at-least see any replaced parts.
    Good Luck!
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3
    You should have the catalytic converter checked - it is under warranty for 80,000 miles or 10 years. Chances are the sensors are OK. When I took our 2002 GA to Pontiac to have the catalytic converter replaced (the car had 75,000 miles on it) They called and spoke to my daughter. They said that the new converter helped but we should pay the about $800.00 to remove, check & clean the sensors. We said no, we would take the car without the additional repairs and the mechanic said that they could not guarantee the car would run "properly" without the extra work. Well its been 15,000 miles since and the car runs great except for the passlock problem. I will be trying the "Cut The Yellow Wire" solution today.
    So far since buying this car for my daughter in 2003 we have replaced all injectors (two times), starter, rotors, brakes, ignition coils, timing belt, catalytic converter, and the usual maint.
    When the first injector went out we had the local dealership fix it ($750.00) for one injector. Within two months the car was acting up again. This time I went online and found new injectors for $69.00 each (Not the $179.00 each charged by the dealer) and I replaced all 6 injectors. Upon disassemble of the injector rail I found the the dealer never replaced the special "O" ring that had deteriorated and had been clogging the injectors up ($8.00) part cost me $500.00 in parts and 1/2 day of my labor to fix what the dealer should have.
    Good Luck!
  • jillfjillf Member Posts: 1
    i just joined this site because im having all of the same problems ive read about here, and your solution, turn the car into the 'on' position for 10 mins and 15 seconds, then turn the car off and wait 5 seconds and then start, which is exactly how the mechanics told me how to start it the second time it happened to me, but ive done this so many times im getting sick of it, i want to know how to fix it once and for all, perferably without having to cut any wires like i read here as well, any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Well...my car is still overheating after all this time. I have had it in the shop since the last message I wrote.They finally know what the problem is. My frickin intake manifold is CRACKED!!! How the hell does this happen on a 2002 with 35,000 miles on it? This is ridiculous. 1000.00 to fix, and of course I don't have that layin around since i've just spent 1500.00 for all kinds of other repairs. I just can't beleive this. I have 4 more years of payments too, because I have horrible credit,and got screwed when I bought the car. ntake manifold...what's next?!? :mad:
  • ahansenahansen Member Posts: 2
    I also have a problem with my passlock, I have been stuck several times waiting 10-15 minutes to try to start it again. My Grand AM is an 02 with 55,000 and the timing chain had to be replaced 1300.00 later and no car for a week and half. The car just would not start, had to tow to the dealer - a diffective part is what I think. Called GM Customer Service, what a joke. Looks like the 2002 have some real problems. I am disappointed with the whole GM experience.