Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

Comments

• ayeuayeu Member Posts: 41
    When service managers say they have a brake problem, that's good enough for me. I have had service, including warranty repairs, at three different dealerships. Two in Ohio and one in Florida. I asked all of them about brake issues. They said they are prone to corrosion and occasional premature seizing. Hyundai of St. Augustine (Florida) said they see the problem frequently on "snowbird" cars, but not on local ones. The problem seems to be that Hyundai brakes are either more prone because of the steel used or the tolerances are too tight so that rust causes premature binding. Yes, other brands are subject to road salt, too. I've lived in a Northern climate all my life and have driven many cars over 100,000 miles and never had this problem before my Sonata.
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    I grew up in Chicago, drove there and central Illinois for quite a few years, several different cars, and never had a brake problem until I had a Jeep with a siezed piston in a caliper, in San Diego.

Of course, I don't have a Sonata, I was just checking back if anyone responded yet about my question about the 'precharged' brakes. My wife has a Tucsonthough, and other than warped rotors, no issues.
    Sorry, I have never seen that in a Hyundai commercial. I did a search on line and was directed back to your Edmunds comment, believe it or not! What's the difference between "precharged" and "power boosted", i.e., power brakes?
    Regarding Aqua's quote above, it make sense that corrosion increases the incidents involving rust seized brakes, but if this is the case, shouldn't it be in the service schedule? It's not. And per my experience, eleven months after purchase seems too soon. That was one winter.
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2010
    Maybe I'm getting the terminoligy wrong. I saw something about it in the pamphlet I had for the 09 Sonata. It was supposed to be like a brake assist. Claimed people usually didn't brake hard enough in panic situations or something, so it 'sensed' or decided if you were in a panic braking situation and applies the brakes even harder. Supposed to be an added safety feature.

Maybe it's invisible to the operator, but I was just wondering if anyone noticed anything about it. I kind of figured not, as no one replied.

P.S. Just went to the Hyundai site, and they still have it. Just called Brake Assist. Says you can stop 20% faster. Determines the pucker factor by how fast you apply the brake.
  • racerbillracerbill Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Hyundai sonata with 25000 miles on it and no one said anything about the pads sticking until i heard the grinding noise and to it to the dealer and they said the brakes were worn out and wanted $240 to replace them.No one said anything about needing to lubercate the calipers. So i think that the dealer should stand by this and repair it under the warrentee. I bet you one thing i will not buy another Hyundai if this is the way they are gonna do.I never had a car that the back brakes went out in 25000 miles before and i have had a lot of different cars.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    You must live in one the northern states. Brake pads are a wear item, no manufacturer covers them after the first 12k miles. Some GM and Chrysler vehicles rear brakes wear out around 25k miles even if you lube the calipers. It's all in the material the pads are made out of. I personally own an 06 Sonata LX V6 with over 69k miles, changed my front brakes at 54k miles and have not had to replace my rear brakes yet. Of course I live down here in GA, were brakes on Hyundai's here wear out at around 50k miles, and I know this because I'm a service consultant.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited June 2010
    People want quiet, grabby brakes, even on small or mid-size economical sedans and this often requires a very soft and perishable brake pad composition. Engineering struggles with price, and comes up with a compromise.
    Racerbill - it's not about wearing out normally, it's about the pads hanging up, i.e., staying stuck against the rotors. I don't know if you're a service consultant for Hyundai or not, but if so, it might be interesting to call one of your colleagues up north. My service mgr told me even the 2011 Sonata hasn't made any changes in the brake setup.I had a problem at 11 months/21,000 highway miles on my '07 Sonata but no problems since. Interesting, though, Consumers latest publication rated 2007 Sonata brakes "poor" but later years seem to fare better. Maybe not enough data yet.
    I was a consultant for Hyundai, but I'm a consultant for GM now. When I was at Hyundai, the only time we had issues with the brakes on low mileage Hyundais were the ones that came from northern states. The ones in the southern states only needed replacement on average of around 50k miles. I had mine done at 54k miles, rear still untouched and I'm currently at 69k miles.
    It's definitely a northern problem with the salt on the roads up here. But Hyundai has more of a problem than others. I've driven many cars over the years, all in northern climates, with both drum and disc brakes and never had this problem. My service manager thinks it's either tight clearance, alloys used for the pad brackets, or both. I would consider a 2011 Sonata, but would negotiate a preventive brake job, i.e. opening up the slide clearances, which is how they fix the problem. The downside is that you hear the pads moving when you use the brakes.
  • jbob3798jbob3798 Member Posts: 7
    I have had my 2011 Sonata LTD since March. I drove from Seattle to Louisiana and back. I have put almost 10,000 miles on it so far. My point is (maybe I am just lucky so far??) that I have had zero problems with power steering or the brakes.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Sounds great. Did you perchance keep track of your mileages from new? Basically I am thinking of the overall mpg for the total mileage you indicated. Actual mileages mean very much more than the gov't guideline.
    Thanks for your reply,
    van
  • jbob3798jbob3798 Member Posts: 7
    Re: MPG
    Yes, I kept track from day 1 when we drove the car off the lot through my trips back and forth (SEA-NO-SEA). I just zeroed out the mileage last week. But to that point, 8900 miles, averaged 29.3 MPG which included freeway driving and local driving in traffic on surface streets, going through several mountain passes (the Rockies, Sierra Nevadas, and mountains from N. Calif to Seattle on I-5 north). Pretty good overall test. I am happy with the mileage.
    Good luck with your 2011. You should have no brake problems if you don't drive it in cold climates where they salt the roads
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Thanks for the info, 29+ mpg overall sounds good to me. I have a 2006 LX V6 and my overall is about 10 mpg less... it is 19 + from mile 1 also. I do use A/C almost always in NW Florida's humidity etc.(Pensacola) I have really been thinking hard about the newer model... biggest problem for me, on a fixed income is the cost to start all over again. My mileage at this point is aprox 25,000 mostly city (local) driving with an annual trip to visit in South Florida (Key West) about 900miles each way, with basically trouble free operation. Thinking about $$$ makes things rough anymore. I have no problems, and am well pleased with the vehicle and the service from the local dealer. Again, thanks.

van
  • racerbillracerbill Member Posts: 2
    Yes i live in Michigan where it has snow and salt. If the Hyundai Sonada BRAKES get croaded and stick just in the north then i guess we people in the north should not buy the Hyundai Sonata and they should only sell them in the south. When my brakes on the rear on the right side ware out at 25000 miles because the medal they put on gets rusty and the brake pads stick. I think that there is a proublem with the cheap medal they use and that Hyundai needs to fix the problem and i should not have to pay $250.00 ever 25000 miles. The pads i put on are warrenteed for life but i know when the medal sticks again and they wear out at 25000 miles the company is going to say they won't cover sticking parts that wear out the pads so i will be out more money on new pads and rotor.So I think i would be better off to sell or trade this for a Ford.
  • sticks57sticks57 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Sonata which I purchased new. At 14,500 miles the rear brakes began to drag building up considerable heat. Cost to repair the rust problem at the dealer in Streetsboro, Ohio was $131. I was told by the service department that what ever they did would take care of the problem. I specifically asked if I would have the same problem in another 14,500 miles. The answer was a definite no. I wrote a letter to Hyundai and was told that they had never heard of such a problem. Yeah, right! And guess what? At 28,000 miles the rear brakes were dragging again and building up some serious heat. I had the latest rust problem addressed, but not by the dealer. By contrast, I just had the first brake job on my 2007 Subaru Outback at 86,000 miles! That begs the question; What does Subaru know about brakes in northern climates that Hyundai does not?
    Sticks57 - You might suggest that Hyundai visit this site and this thread.

I have to say that since Great Lakes Hyundai serviced my rear brakes when they seized at 21,000 miles I have had no problems. I now have 77,200 miles on my '07 Sonata. I had the brakes serviced (disassemble, lube slides and reassemble) last month at a cost of under $40 by at Leipold Tire and they said I still have >50% front and back.
    Sheldon (Service Mgr @ GL Hyundai) told me the 2011Sonata uses the same brake setup. I am considering a 2011 but would negotiate the brake "fix" up front as a condition of purchase.
  • ktpmm5ktpmm5 Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 2006 sonata, 47K miles on it. Took it to our mechanic (not the dealership) and he replace both front and rear pads and rotors for $800. Is this normal? Seems early to be replacing all this from what I am reading. There was no squealing, the brakes just felt "soft" so I took it over for a look. Now I'm wondering why they had to be replaced so early. (Of course my teenagers drive this car so I'm sure there is a lot of stop and go...)
    47,000 miles isn't too high to replace brakes if they have a lot of stops on them. In city driving, for example, brakes go quickly. What I'd be concerned about is maybe finding a new mechanic. $800 is a lot of money. Parts (pads and rotors) would cost less than $300
  • cordobaman13cordobaman13 Member Posts: 2
    ktpmm5

I work at a Hyundai dealer as a tech in the salt belt, I think 800 is alot from a private garage - we (the dealer) get about that much and you get genuine hynudai parts, there is a differance. I'm not trying to stick up for the dealer high prices.

47K is not early that is actually pretty good, was the soft pedal before or after the brake job. If before the caliper pins where probable sized, If after most aftermarket brake pads use a harder brake compounds = soft pedal. got this complaits all the time. ( But I just had brakes done -they say)

Hope this helps, sorry about the spelling. :)
    Cordobaman - a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1 - Is there a PM to prevent the premature seizing? Other than my experience with premature seizing of my rear brakes at 11 months/21K miles, my '07 Sonata has been very good. I now have 78,000 with original front pads (50%) and 57K on the rears (>50%), I'm asking because I'd like to buy the '11 Sonata and would negotiate the preventive maintenance.

2 - Do you see any changes on the '11 brakes? Consumers rated '07 braked poor but better since. Maybe just not enough time on them? Service Mgr at Great Lakes Hyundai said no changes were made.

3 - Are you old enough to remember the Chrysler Cordoba and is that where your name comes from? :)

Have a great day and thanks
  • kydavekydave Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    "If after most aftermarket brake pads use a harder brake compounds = soft pedal. got this complaits all the time"

Why do hard pads equal soft pedal? I just had pads replaced and my pedal feels spongy.

Also, If I stop on a flat road at a red light, and continue to "massage" the brake pedal it keeps going down little by little.

Is this normal?

Add: 2006 Sonata V6.
    kydave - It doesn't make sense to me either. If the pedal is soft I always thought it meant air or a leak in the system. Air compresses, brake fluid doesn't. Soft pads mean the pads wear before the rotors. Hard pads mean the rotors wear faster. Something's got to take up the energy and wear out. Simple physics.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    In answer to your question about whether it is normal for the pedal to continue to sink toward the floor the short answer is no. But a question to you, does it finally stop sinking or does it continue until it is nearly flat to the floor? Either way in my experience the brakes stop the car and the pedal remains at that level and remain firm feeling until released.
  • kydavekydave Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone heard a grinding sound similar to worn pads, after completely new "hard"pads have been installed? Not a squeal as the pads/rotors settle in, but it sounds for the world like pads that have worn through - that low vibration/grinding sound... I can see the new pads, but the sound is disconcerting.
  • feelingscrewedfeelingscrewed Member Posts: 2
    A couple of days ago, my Sonata (25K miles) started making an incredible loud grinding noise just driving down the road and then even louder if I applied the brakes. I literally sounded like the exhaust system had dropped out and I was dragging it under the car. Took to local Hyundai dealer where I bought the car and they say the rear brakes are completely gone -- need new calipers, pads, the whole shooting match to the tune of $600 bucks.

I simply can't believe this. I've never owned a car in my life that need major brake work before about 40,000 miles...what the heck is going on? Is this truly a design flaw? Is there any way I can get them to admit there's an issue with brakes wearing smack out at 25K miles and get them to do this under warranty?
  • iggypopiggypop Member Posts: 3
    I was told to clean my rear brakes each time I rotate the tires, at 5000 miles.
    I live in Vermont so yes we have salt and sand on the roads in winter. My dealer just sent a sales flier with guess what a coupon for break cleaning, so Hyundai does know about the problem but will not do anything about it, it is up to the driver.
    When you rotate tires take the caliper and pins off, clean off all the rust and grease the pins, that is what I have been told to do, it takes about 30 extra minutes.
  • sonatabob1sonatabob1 Member Posts: 1
    My Sonata has about 37,000 miles. It is a six-cylinder. I am getting about 18 city, which is where I drive most of the time. However, I recently took a long-distance trip and the mpg, at least according to the trip meter on my dash, only went up to 19 mpg. Also the "range" setting which tells me how many miles I have left until my last fillup, seems to go down really quickly. I am doing a manual mpg calculation on this tankful just to be sure. I have new tires and had the car checked over completely before my trip. Do the above mpg figures sound correct to you? If not, what should I be doing to improve gas mileage?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    How fast were you going? At 55-60 mph, I've gotten 30+ mpg on that vintage of V6 Sonata. You should certainly do better than 19 mpg on a long trip on the highway, at reasonable speeds. Of course, you reset the mpg meter before starting the trip, yes?
  • dave09sedave09se Member Posts: 20
    Whats this have to do with brakes?
    First thing, this has nothing to do with brakes. I have an 06 Sonata V6 with 71k miles and average around 18-91mpg in the city. Just came back from trip to Montgomery, AL visiting family and Hyundai Plant, averaged around 26-27mpg on the highway driving average of 76mph with a/c on. I reset my trip computer on every fill up, do you do the same as well? It might make a difference.
    The reason I asked "Whats this have to do with brakes?" is because there is a forum for the Hyundai Sonata and real world mileage you should be posting there you will get more responses and have more responses to read as well.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Providing a link to the correct discussion is usually more helpful to "lost" members than just telling them they're in the wrong place - sometimes we forget that not everyone is familiar with our organizational system and may have trouble finding the right place:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef9e4c5/594

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Point taken, I have all Sonata forums as watched items and tend to forget not everyone does that kind of thing, as for providing a link Im kind of computer dumb and not really sure how to do that is it easy?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yes indeedy! If you just go to the discussion you want to link to and pick any post number, hover over the highlighted/underlined post number and right-click your mouse on it. One of the menu options that will appear is "copy link" or "copy shortcut" or "copy link address" depending on what browser you use. Select that option.

Then, come back here and right click again in the message box, and select "paste." Voila! You have a link to the right place.

I tend to forget how difficult it might be for a newbie too, until one of my friends visits the forums and tells me it's sometimes hard for them to navigate. We're all just so used to it that it's easy. If nothing else, one can suggest the keyword search at the right, and suggest searching for specific words, like "sonata transmission."

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mrchipsmrchips Member Posts: 3
    I've got 50 k on my car and i'm in the same boat. Just did the brakes on my 2004 Pacifica this car has 100k and is a 4000 lb + car. I think it must be the oem parts used. If you are able do the work yourself, you can get your parts at Tire Rack for about $250.00. Easy to do with hand tools. :)
  • sonatascottsonatascott Member Posts: 16
    I'm a 2011 owner, and also in manufacturing / engineering. I'm going to take a basic engineering approach to this issue, over time, and will report my findings in this forum. With only 5400 miles logged, I doubt any wear will show if I inspected the brakes at this time. I'll wait until 8-10k miles, then do a full teardown and proper relubrication. I have always had good luck with Lubriplate products for similar high wear / friction / heat applications. I think the climate / salt variable tells us a story. The anti-friction lubricant Hyundai used at the factory on affected models was not effective in terms of corrosion resistance. Perhaps too the use of pressure washers at car washes while cleaning the wheels could cause this problem also, in any region. As far as seizing goes, the two main culprits are usually lack of lubrication, and / or the use of similar materials on the sliding surfaces. In other words, whatever those pins have sliding on them needs to me made from a different material, and of a different hardness. Most likely the pins are made from a medium carbon steel and are slightly hardened and tempered. I'll post again in a couple months.
  • garlgarl Member Posts: 1
    feeling screwed also. own an 07 sonata. heard the same high pitched whining for first 11,00 miles after purchase (christmas present 06). took car to dealer 6 times and every time dealer said he did not hear whine. finally dealer found rust build up on pads and longer worn almost to metal! replaced pads and resurfaced rotors. At 17,000 miles same thing. At 33,000 miles battery was pronounced dead for unknown reasons and had to be replaced. Am now at 46,000 miles and dealer said rear brakes need to be replaced again! I have read many other postings about the same rear brake problem with the 07 sonata. Am contemplating selling car. tired of song and dance from dealer.
    Chips - Your dealer needs to grind more play into the slides, i.e., open them up.Also they should lube the slides. My dealer did that when my '07 Sonata had brake problems at 11 months/21,000 miles. I now have 62,000 miles on my rear brakes and 83,000 on the original fronts and still have 50% on both. I am considering a 2011 and he told me they have the same problems, so to bring it in during the first year and he'd do the same thing.
    You guys most live in Northern states where it snows alot. We don't have that issue with these cars down in the Southern states.
  • feelingscrewedfeelingscrewed Member Posts: 2
    Yep. Live in Ohio. But, still, car bodies and under-carriages have been improved/treated over the years so that they no longer rust out like they did decades ago. I would expect that brakes should last longer than 25K miles even if the car has to drive where there's snow and road treatments. It's not like snow in the Northern US should be news to any car manufacturers.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Brakes on my 2007 with 43k miles still good. Has been in WI and MN all its life. I will ask at the 45k service, due in December, about lubing those sliders. Whatever was done by the first owner (lessor) seems to have worked. I bought the car last Thanksgiving.
  • dallasdude1dallasdude1 Member Posts: 1,151
    I've been reading all about the brake problems here. I currently have 105K 05 Sonata and am doing the front brakes (for the first time). One of the slides has failed. Are they pressed in? Or is there some odd method of getting these into the caliper mounting housing? I did notice that one pad wore more on this caliper. The other caliper seemed fine as its pads wore normally. Perhaps these and the lubricant used in them freezing be part of the brake problems in the north? I'm in Texas and have been fortunate so far.
  • guttzguttz Member Posts: 2
    I went to dealership yesterday for an oil change and dealer suggested that I change my 2007 Sonta's brake pads immediately. Is it advisable to get brake pads changed outside without Hyundai's OEM parts? Or are OEM parts the best thing to go with?
    Is it also normal for Sonta's rear brake pads to wear out lot earlier than front brake pads?

Thanks in advance.
    It seems to be the case that the rear brakes wear first. Mine did. I had my rear brakes replaced at 21K and they also opened up the slides a little (read the thread). I now have 84,000 on my original front and 63,000 on the rear. Both still have 50% lining left but I do a lot of highway driving. As far as aftermarket brakes, I say go for it. I might replace all rotors and pads before winter just to stay ahead of the game. I would do it myself with aftermarket parts.
    Good luck!
  • guttzguttz Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Additional notes to my previous post:
    So after talking to my regular mechanic, it is pretty much confirmed that it seems to be Hyundai's fault. Rear rotors were way hotter than front rotors after less than 3 miles of driving. I am in AZ so no weather related problems here. From the last brake inspection around 3 months ago, rear brakes were totally worn out while front brakes were minimally worn. That is that rear brake pads were gone from 50% to 99% in 3 months period. Total miles on the car are at 64k and total miles for rear brakes to go from 50% to 99% gone are around 4k.
    Possible reasons (pretty much all seem to have been pointed out here before):
    1) drove with parking brakes on (I have never used parking brakes before so that is ruled out. But Hyundai had done recall work on rear brakes and it is possible that Hyundai mechanic did not complete work properly).
    2) hydraulic issues with rear brakes
    3) malfunctioning Electronic Stability Control resulting in constant application of rear brakes.
  • jandk98jandk98 Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone done a front rotor change on an '07 style Sonata (GLS)? The pads themselves are simple to do, but when you take off the caliper, there's still the caliper harness (or whatever it's called) left on the assembly, which I assume makes the rotor impossible to get off. Obviously, it's possible to change the rotor; I just can't find an easy way to do it. Suggestions?
    You're referring to the pad bracket. On all cars it has to be removed before the rotor can be removed. On the Sonata, though, one of the bolts is dual purpose, i.e. it is longer than normal because it has to go through a suspension component. No problem removing it, just remove the two pad bracket bolts and take the bracket off. In my opinion taking it off makes it easier to clean it, lube it and put the pads in anyway. Also as on all cars, make sure you have the caliper held in place so that no pressure is on the brake line!