Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• gillidomegillidome Member Posts: 1
    My windshield wipers are working but when you turn them off they go to the vertical position. Quite annoying when trying to drive down the road. Any ideas??
  • wolfman6wolfman6 Member Posts: 2
    The problem started when the 2003 Grand Prix SE consul shifter bypass button had to be used to shift out of Park. The consul shifter now works without using the bypass button after using it several times but the service engine light will not reset.
  • clayficlayfi Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am having the same problem with my 2003 grand prix se. Only I still have to use my shift release button. How did you fix that. To reset try turning your key so you have all power do not start pump your gas a few times then start. Not sure if it works but I read that on one of the many sites I have been on.
  • blueridgeboyblueridgeboy Member Posts: 1
    Thank you SO much!

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with this problem. I recently installed a trailer light wiring harness so I just knew that was the problem. Unfortunately I spent an hour disassembling the whole thing only to find that the problem wasn't solved.

I did a yahoo search "only the center brake light works" and found this forum. I walked out to the garage, turned the hazards on then off and the probem was solved!

Again, thank you!!!
  • wolfman6wolfman6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I should have said that the reset light started to go out when the oil was due to be changed after approximately 1 to 2 minutes, not 5 to 10 seconds like it is suppose to after it is reset. I have tried to reset it many times. My shift release started working after 3 to 5 weeks of using the bypass button. I read that it you jiggle the shifter and try lifting up on it that it may start working without pushing the reset.
  • bettie2bettie2 Member Posts: 4
    I tried to do the little trick they recommended to do, but I found out my hazard light switch is stuck all the way to the bottom and it won't go back up! Does anyone know what to do about this? I'd hate to have to pay a lot of money for that one little problem but I really need my brake lights :cry:
  • danh6danh6 Member Posts: 1
    I turned my car on the other day and was driving when I noticed the DIC(Driver Information Center) and my headlights were flashing on and off. Then both shut off. I had to manually turn the headlights on. The DIC and Headlights do not start at all now. Then I turn my heater on and it is dead. I try all positions 1-5 at all different settings. Try my heated seat and it does not work. The radio works fine, I can charge my cell phone, and the car works fine otherwise.

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with around 55k miles on it. I checked all the fuses. I searched the Internet and this site. I could not find any forums where someone was having all these problems.

I just lost the transmision 5 months ago on this car and can not afford another $1500 to fix this problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated. It is snowing tonight and I have no heat.

Dan
  • cwhite73cwhite73 Member Posts: 2
  • cwhite73cwhite73 Member Posts: 2
    Suddenly last week, my ABS and Trac Off lights decided to stay on when I started my car. I can sometimes get them to go off by turning the car off and restarting, but not always. Our mechanic had the car all day and can't find anything wrong.

Any suggestions or advice before I take it to the dealership?
  • washfordwashford Member Posts: 2
    Dan,

Did you get your problem resolved? I have a simliar problem with my 2001 Grand Prix. My brother thinks it is the ignition switch.

Larry
  • kobillokobillo Member Posts: 1
    i have a 01 gp gtp sc and just had both lights turn on. heard that the wheel hub speed sensor goes bad after 100,000 so i had them replaced but the lights dont want to turn off and cant afford to put more money into this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions it would help me out alot
  • victorallenvictorallen Member Posts: 1
    The heads up display on my 2004 Grand Prix just quit working the other day without warning. Naturally I checked the fuse. This is my first car with HUD so I'm somewhat clueless as to what all the system is even comprised of. Anyone have an idea where to start and how hard are these to change? Thanks.
  • foxpassatfoxpassat Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Grand Prix, but the FOB doesn't work. The Pontiac dealer says its about $40 to program the FOB, but I imagine there is some way to do it myself. Can anyone help me? It is the basic V6 model and it does have the remote start feature. Please help me.
  • bettie2bettie2 Member Posts: 4
    Here is a website I used to program my fob, hopefully you can do it yourself I thought it was pretty easy to follow. Good luck!

link title
  • krayziekrayzie Member Posts: 1
    i feel like a fool for posting this but i have had my 2005 grand prix for a year now and i have no idea where the interior light is and how it works
    any help would be good help
    thanks
    JOe
  • tpfuquatpfuqua Member Posts: 2
    My 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT low oil light comes on and stays on when the engine turned off. It does not come on or flash when the engine is started. Thanks for a possible solution. Tom
  • tpfuquatpfuqua Member Posts: 2
    My 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT fasten seat belt light and sound alert comes on after the engine is turned off and I have exited the car. I have fastened all the seat belts. The lights and tone stay on after the door is closed and locked. They eventually turn off. Thanks Tom
  • mightybooshmightyboosh Member Posts: 2
  • mightybooshmightyboosh Member Posts: 2
    This morning my remote unlock would not work.
    I then noticed a list of things did not work:
    Power windows
    door chime
    door locks
    interior lights
    radio

I checked some of the fuses all seemed fine. any ideas?
  • mentalatticamentalattica Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

No matter what, unless I pull the fuse in the passenger side fuse box, or the J-style fuse #26 under the hood my parking lights and tail lights will not go off what so ever. I've tried turning them off from the head light switch to no avail.

The problem started when I was installing a wired FM modulator (for ipods etc...) it was night time and I mistook the "Dimmer?" wire (solid gray wire 4th from the end on the top row) in the radio harness for an accessory wire because when I'd turn the key on I'd get power and vice versa when I turned it off. So I wired everything tapping into that wire for power. The next morning when I finished the installation the modulator didn't work, nor was that wire getting any power. I found that that wire only got power when the headlights were on. I finally did research to find there is no acc. wire in the radio harness and found the correct wire to tap into in the fuse pannel.

Everything worked fine, but the parking lights and tail lights won't go off. I uninstalled the FM modulator and put everything back to factory state and still the lights won't turn off.

Since then, today:
    *I unhooked all 3 inputs to the BCM
    *Totally unhooked the Headlight switch
    *swapped out all of the relays in the fuse box under the hood
    *checked all fuses
    *unhooked the harness mounted above the fuse panel
    *pulled the panel of wires under the fuse panel (they have a bolt in the center)
    *unhooked "yellow" harness on each side of the dashboard

Nothing in the car works now because I"ve unhooked everything I could think of, it won't even start but the parking lights are still on

Ideas or suggestions?
  • darkevildeaddarkevildead Member Posts: 1
    Well I am having a problem with my interior lights 1/2 of them work the lights under the dash light up like they would normanlly (ex: unlocking/locking the car, opening/closing the doors) The lights on the doors will not light up at all and from what I recall the map lights used to light up when you would unlock the door or even open them those lights also do not light up with that but I can turn those on manually. Its not the bulbs or I dont think its the dimmer switch . I figured it was a bad ground but I dont know or maybe a bad body ecu!? Any ideas?
  • hookskjhookskj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix it has 189000 miles on it and my fan for my air and heater won't work and I have already checked my fuses. where are the relays located and how do I change them.
  • frames3frames3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have a 2001 Grand Prix and I just recently ran into a problem with my dashboard lights. About a week ago, the dashboard lights started to flicker while driving, and then they turned off completely. Now, when I start the vehicle and turn on the lights, the dashboard lights do not come on at all.

My headlights, tail lights and interior lights work fine; I just checked the fuses and they all seem to be okay. It looks to be an electrical problem, but I can't find much online to help me trouble shoot this problem. Is there anything I can do to isolate the problem? I did read somewhere that it could be a headlight switch? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks! :confuse:
  • srabysraby Member Posts: 6
    I had a VERY similar problem on my 2002 Grand Prix. My lights would flicker, like a blinker, when I applied the brake or the dash lights would go out it I turned on the fan switch. I changed the battery and the heater resistor, no joy. Finally after reading this forum, I read about the ignition switch wiring harness causing similar issues on other cars, see reply #77 of this forum I changed it and this fixed my problem... Part cost ~ $127.00 and about 45 minutes to change it, with the correct tools.. Sounds crazy... but it worked!

Stan :)
  • svill77svill77 Member Posts: 3
    UPDATE: The problem turned out to be the resistor. Basically the connection point between the power wire and the blower. It essentially 'resists' the electrical current from the battery which is a direct feed. When it fails the current becomes constant. Essentially like taking the blower and connecting it directly to the batter which explains why it wouldn't turn off even with the car off and the key removed. The part if available through AC Delco.
  • choppedgpchoppedgp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 grand prix gt. I have so many electrical problems ill just start by how i get into the car. I get into the car and with no key in the ignition and no lights on i press on my brake pedal and my cluster lights light up. So thats weird. Now i start the car up. and during the day with no lights on. everything works fine. but when it comes to night time. Or i manually turn my headlights on. My left turn signal stays solid, Inside and outside of the car. And my cruise control doesnt work when my headlights are on. Also when i brake, when the headlights are on, all the dash lights including the digital display and cluster flash brighter. If the headlights are off, and i turn on my turn signal it works, but the cluster flashes with the turn signal. please help me with any intelligent input that anyone has. I dont have a ton of money, so i dont want to spend a ton trying to fix this. please help.
  • ayptdpayptdp Member Posts: 2
    I have encountered the same problem on my 1997 Grand Prix and was hoping to find an solution on here. Once in a while they come on for a few minutes. Thinking of replacing the headlight/interior light dimmer switch unit. Sure hope this gets them working again. Will post again if that fixes it.
  • dlessdless Member Posts: 1
    i have encountered the same problem. all the dash lights stopped working. after i played with the switch and wiring harness under the dash the lights for the stero lit up but that was it wondering if anyone bought a new light/dimmer switch, expensive, and if it worked?
  • ayptdpayptdp Member Posts: 2
    Have not replaced the headlight/dimmer switch yet. GP quit starting along with fan problem and replaced the ignition switch/harness which resolved that. The dash lights worked on first test following that but now they are out again. Since the HL/Dimmer switch is sooo expensive ($192.00) going to try to bypass the switch to prove that's the problem. May go for used one.
  • meg2good4umeg2good4u Member Posts: 2
    So every now and again my car will chime at me 4 times...while going down the road. It does it more frequently at slower speeds, and when I turn. I find nothing in the owners manual nor online as to what this means.
    No warning lights come on. Seatbelts are buckled, doors are all closed, antitheft code is entered, plenty of gas, oil is new, turn signal not stuck on....

it makes me crazy when it does it. All I've been able to find is that it happened to a guy with a 97 grand prix a few weeks ago...but he hasn't gotten any answers either.

Help!!!
  • car_ditzcar_ditz Member Posts: 1
    This is driving me crazy ... minor to some but annoying to me. Everyday I get into my 2004 Grand Prix the date appears to be okay, within a couple hours and a couple of starts later date changes 1 day forward or backward. I change it only to happen again, it seems like this recently started happening could it be tied with daylight savings time or is my car not that smart to know the difference?

I love my grand prix but I have put more money into it over the last year that it is now making a major dent in my wallet! :mad: :lemon:
  • jdeliejdelie Member Posts: 1
    Dan, I too, are having these identical problems with my 01 gtp. Did you ever solve this problem? :sick:
  • scott_mack512scott_mack512 Member Posts: 1
    go to this website, it should have it for your car. I have an 02 GTP and it's on there.

www.programyourremote.com
  • BooperelliBooperelli Member Posts: 1
    What ended up being the problem? I have a 2000 Grand Am and I'm having the same issue with my driver's side window. It will stop working for months at a time, and then start working again.

I've just been dealing with it until now, it's stuck down a tiny crack and I'm sick of listening to the wind whistle through it. Time to get it fixed.
  • girevikgirevik Member Posts: 9
  • girevikgirevik Member Posts: 9
    I never did do anything to fix it. It started working again this spring, and I'll be interested to see what will happen now that it's getting cooler again. I haven't tried it in a while.

It was suggested that it might be the connectors from the motor to the power supply, and I've been meaning to open the door up and clean them off and re-connect them, but since it's a back window I've never had enough iniative yet to do that.
  • hdfxdwghdfxdwg Member Posts: 6
    what can you do to make your lens look new again beside replace them what about the stuff you see advertise to restore them or can you take sandpaper and polish them back out

thanks for your help
  • hdfxdwghdfxdwg Member Posts: 6
  • joannaelainejoannaelaine Member Posts: 2
    I took my 99 Grand Prix to a friends body shop and had him buff the lenses, it took almost 2yrs for them to "cloud" up again. I finally bought new lites a few weeks ago and I am amazed at how much better I can see at nite!!!
  • wildfan74wildfan74 Member Posts: 9
    Has anybody responded to your post yet? I just started having this problem with my 2002 GP GT. Please let me know if you have found the reason behind this, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • wildfan74wildfan74 Member Posts: 9
    2002 GP GT.....My windshield wiper have just recently started to park in the Vertical position, they work just fine otherwise until I turn them off.Can someone tell me if they have had this same problem and what the solution was?

Thanks.
  • awickam04awickam04 Member Posts: 2
    2006 Grand Prix
    My low beam lights have no electrical current to the headlight or to the fuse. They just suddenly stopped working. Is there a relay somewhere that may need to be looked at? :cry: My husband isn't here to help. We are in two different cities right now. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks,
  • bcarson1bcarson1 Member Posts: 4
    My trunk open light stays on all the time. I have sprayed the latch with wd40 but nothing changed.

Why would the light stay on when the trunk is closed and how do I fix it?
  • saltydog54saltydog54 Member Posts: 5
    to turn your door chime down you will have to go to your manual , it will state somewthing about holding the #6 button in on your radio and that is what turns your volume down on your chime from normal to loud > loud to normal
    go to your manual and read about your door chime while your sitting in your car , It will indeed tell you that you need to hold in on #6 button to turn chime to normal
    The number 6 button is on your radio ! hold in to change from loud to normal..
    Anyone have any suggestions on why I cannot get my cruise to work anymore? I have already checked all the fuses in car and under hood ,Checked brake fluid etc. and still have nothing.
    How can you change the bulbs behind the time lens . Its part of the radio and I've to this day still have'nt figured out how to get radio out of dash. Anyone have suggestions . It has the CD player and radio combo system made by pioneer.
  • gpx2000gpx2000 Member Posts: 1
    The other day, everything electrical in the car shut off and then turned back on a split second later while I was driving. The dashboard lights, radio, clock, everything. Then, as soon as they turned off, they turned right back on. The ABS light and the Service Engine light flashed a few times the way they normally do whenever you first turn on your car. Through all of this, the engine continued to run just fine. Everything mechanical kept running, it was just as if the whole electrical system reset itself. It did this a few times. Twice I put it in park, cut the engine and restarted it, hoping that might help. No dice.

I took it to my mechanic and he's stumped. It hasn't done this for him in the two days it's been at the shop and he said all connections look good. He recommended taking it to the dealership where maybe they've had more experience with something like this. He took a shot in the dark and guessed it might have something to do with the car's computer.

Has anyone every heard of this happening to a 2000 Grand Prix, or any car for that matter?
  • d588996pd588996p Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1L. I prev dealt with that annoying water leaking in thru the pass side issue, I corrected it but now I have an issue with my rear speakers. It seems that they are off, whenever i park my car in the sun and it gets hot inside, the speakers work fine but as soon as it cools inside they shut off. Originally I thought it was the stock stereo because it sometimes didnt show the clock when i turned it on (happen once in a while) but after I Replaced the stereo the speakers still act the same way. I never dealt with audio issues before and not sure how to trouble shoot it. Any Ideas,or has anyone had this issue before?