Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Questions

Comments

• wheels_r_superwheels_r_super Member Posts: 44
    Ans: No. Not to digress here other than to say that I tried to buy a Toyota on contingency of an OK from the original owner. The original owner (not available when I bought the car) the next day said it was a dangerous buy-back. I came and got my trade-in back. Toyota refused to even acknowledge the wrong deed. The BB said there was no crime because I was not out financially. Nothing happened.
    It is absolutely amazing - Most people I know buy used cars on blind dealer trust.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    confused. you tried to buy on contingency, couldn't contact the original owner, but purchased anyway. later you discovered it was a buy-back.

did you ask the dealership if it was a buy-back? did they mis-represent the vehicle in any way?

you're probably not out financially unless you pay for repairs / replacement, or you go to sell it. so did you ask the BB, if you go to sell it, then is the dealership liable for the damages / loss in value?

blind dealer trust is right. looks like both the original owner and you were burned by the dealership and the manufacturer.

hopefully toyota will get this all straight.
    You mis-understood. A buy on contingency means the sale is not final until the contingency is met. So I did not buy the car. I was out 1-hours worth of paper work and got to drive a nice Avalon for one day.
    Guess that's why the BBB did not want to pursue the complaint. I only complained to save the next guy who probably got stuck. They had to eat the Doc fees. Then, we did not have carfax like we do now. Feel free 777 to spin this anyway you like. No problem.
  • nathan118nathan118 Member Posts: 31
    Not sure if this has been touched on or not. I just bought a 4 cyl 2007 Camry SE, and I'm seeing a weird behavior when letting off the gas. Like another poster, usually it happens around 30-40mph. If I realize I'm going too fast, and I let off the gas, the car doesn't coast, but instead starts to "brake," even though I haven't touched the brake pedal. It's actually making me nauseous.

Is this normal?

Oh, and I have a week to pay for my car in full. Is it too late to take it back if I can't get past this problem?
  • ihatemycamryihatemycamry Member Posts: 2
    I have a camry 07 LE(not a V6) that I got last year in July. Since then I have been having this lagging issue and I didnt give it a serious thought. Now it is irritating and when googling around, I found this forum.

I have seen that there is a TSB EG056R-06 for this. My car was pre-built to this TSB and hence I think the dealer should apply this fix.

Should it be 100% reproducable for the dealer to apply this fix or do you think he will apply it if I take a copy of the TSB and my how him my VIN number ?

Thanks for your help
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    If you just take in the TSB, and complain about hesitation issues, and cruise control downshifting issues....they should just apply the TSB. It takes about 1/2 hour.
    Same car and same thing but not that often. It fells like the car is testing the Anti-lock brakes but not actually braking (there is a vibration in the brake peddle).

Haven't thought much about it.
  • sunilvsunilv Member Posts: 26
    I have the same car and problems. I did the TSB, but TSB is only a temperory fix for hesitation issues, and cruise control downshifting issues.

Hesitation came back after 300 miles.
    Not temporary on my vehicle. Have had it since it first came out.

Take it back to the dealer.
  • sunilvsunilv Member Posts: 26
    Me too done the TSB when it came out. What the TSB does is, it will reset the software after every 500 miles. Then it run smothly upto 300 - 350 mile then starts hesitating in my case. Then it resets the software when it reaches 500 miles. Thats why you may feel like it is fixed.I am sure it's not perfect, but it's better than it was.

Thats why I said it is a temperory fix. Even my technitian admitted that.
    This is not a 'temporary' software load, I have no idea where you heard that, it does not reset itself after 500 miles.

If yours has reset, please take it back to the dealer and have them reload it correctly.

I was the original 'noticer' of the cruise control symptom back when the car was released, which is fixed by this same TSB. This problem was very noticeable on my vehicle, was resolved after I got the TSB applied (I had the dealer install it the day after it was released), and has not come back since. I have no idea why your TSB fix somehow reset itself, but that is not how it is supposed to work. I would get your vehicle back to the dealer, or perhaps a different dealer if they aren't as technically literate as some other dealers.
    its possible that you had hardware replaced as well. i'm not saying it's probable, just possible.

i have to agree with you though, i HIGHLY doubt they created a SW load that constantly resets the learned parameters...

that doesn't make any sense from a controls engineering perspective. you'd either change the type of "learning" it performed, or you'd disable learning, or have it learn only some parameters, but you wouldn't do what is being asserted.
    No hardware change in mine. I printed the TSB and took it in, talked it thru with the service tech, who then went back and performed the software load. Other than an engine oil and filter change I had performed at the same time, nothing else was done. They put on the TSB sticker under the hood (as required), and quick in and out, took 1/2 hour.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    is about how long it takes the systems to relearn the actual device parameters and thereby adjust the system parameter away from the factory defaults.

Undoubtedly when a "reflash" is done the system parameters MUST be reset to the factory defaults just as it would be by disconnecting the battery for a short period of time.

So, a TSB involving a reflash will result in a vehicle acting different after that 500 mile interval that how it did initially.
    good point *IF* the interval is 500mi. however
    (a), the system won't all of a sudden start behaving radically differently when it hits the 500 vs. 1, 2 or 499 miles, or that's pretty poor programming.

what you expect is parameters are optimized over the system defaults BY 500 miles, but there shouldn't be a hard switch (pre- post- 500)...

(b), the parameters would not be constantly reset back to system defaults every 500 miles. that makes absolutely positively no sense.
    But.....

Lets suppose for a moment that, as we already know is done, an electric solenoid is being used as a linear servomotor within the transaxle and ~1% of those solenoids operate outside of factory default parameters when you get right down to it.

Resetting to factory parameters might well result in proper/DIFFERENT operation until the system gradually relearns the solenoid's "out-of-tolerance" parameters.

That point of reaching DIFFERENT, driver noticeable, operation may be a single unique point in the process of learning the actual operational parameters.

Just a guess.

But I would agree fully that automatically resetting to factory default parameters even as a temporary fix would be nothing more or less than a "hack".

But given the very real potential for this issue to rise to the level that finally gets the attention of a major publication maybe Toyota is ready to start "hacking".
    I posted a short message about this, but I now have a better understanding of what is happening.

I get car sick pretty easily when someone else is driving, but I've never had a problem when I was driving myself. But getting car sick is becoming a regular occurence in this car (2007 Camry SE 4cyl), even when I'm driving it. The car does two weird things:

1) The problem with the transmission is that it makes for a really jerky ride in the 30-40 mph range. Sometimes I'll have my foot on the accelerator maintaining my speed, and all of a sudden it will downshift unexpectedly. The accelerator is so touchy that I've barely got my foot on it to maintain my speed at about 40 mph. Apparently the stupid car thinks I want to start braking, so it downshifts while I'm trying to maintain speed! If you get car sick then you'll understand...unexpected acceleration or deceleration is a recipe for disaster. Ultimately I have to push a little harder on the gas, but then the car is going to fast, and I'm back in the same problem of letting off the gas, only to have it start downshifting uncontrollably.

2) The other weird thing is that when I'm braking, it appears it is downshifting to aid my braking, but then all of a sudden it stops helping and the car lurches forward while I'm braking. Usually it's around 5-10mph, but the unexpected let up makes me want to puke. Then I have to push down even harder on the brakes to compensate for the stupid transmission.

I just bought this car the beginning of July. It appears I'll be taking it to the dealer to have it looked at, but I already have the feeling I'll be trading it in for a different car, and I used to love Toyotas with a passion.
    wwest's information aside, factually, many owners have seemingly no such problem, and other's if they have it, seem only to experience the slightest of issues with hesitation.

but your problem is a bit different.

there's a population of vehicles that have a real problem either with hesitation or excessive shifting, or both.

get the TSB done (although, you'd think your recent build vehicle would have had the most up-to-date software installed on it already)... it'd be interesting if not.

i say interesting... because (and with all due respect to wwest getting at the reasons behind some of these new control strategies) there appears to be a marginal design or marginal part or parts at issue here which they are compensating for with additional / modified software.

they (toyota) are only re-flashing vehicles of owners that push the point and complain of a bad ride.

hmmm.

not a good situation in my opinion.
    And what you say leads to my next big potential problem...finding a car that doesn't exhibit the same stupid behavior as this camry. My '94 Celica and my wife's '01 Jetta both drive like normal cars...but I haven't driven anything newer than those. I have a feeling I'll be doing extensive test driving.

But I still don't think it's a matter of "all cars do this now." Take a look at the reviews on yahoo autos for the Camry. Every single model has a rating of about 1.5-2 stars out of 5. Read through the LE comments. Out of the 100 or so comments, I'd say about 75% mention the bad transmission. But then visit the 2008 Lancer board...and they have 4.5-5 stars and no complaints about the transmission. The overwhelming dissatisfaction for the Camry was a big surprise, especially the transmission issues.

If all else fails, I suppose I could go back to a manual tranny like my '74 Ghia had. :)
    Following is a few comparable experiences with other vehicles that might indicate the same shift pattern symptom as you are having with the new 6 speed Camry and maybe even ALL modern day 5 and 6 speed automatic transmissions equipped with a lockup torque converter.

"1)The problem with the (Camry) transmission...."

While on vacation in February I had the chance to drive two reasonably new '07 models, a Mazda minivan first and then a Chrysler Sebring.

Frustrating to say the least.

With me driving the Minivan it simply could not seem to find the right gear or stay in any gear for more than a hundred yards or so. I found it to be a little better if I used cruise control consistently but still...

I wrote it off to poor Mazda engineering.

NOT..!

The next week the Sebring proved to be just as bad.

In retrospect and after doing some research I think I know why.

FE, Fuel Economy.

These new Camry (etc.) six speed automatic transaxles actually have as many as nine, 9, forward "speeds". In the three top gears if moderate engine torque is called for, just cruising along, the lockup torque converter clutch will be engaged in order to reduce the torque converter "loss" and thereby increase FE.

So to yield the absolute optimum FE in your new Camry an extreme effort is being made to keep the engine operating right on the "cusp", RPM being kept between lugging and possible knock/ping and producing just enough torque to maintain the current roadspeed.

Slightest incline, decline, or slightest foot movement and you get a "gear" change.

Obviously a Camry 4 cylinder engine, vs a more powerful 6 cylinder, would result in shifting even more often.

"2)The other weird thing...."

On this issue your Camry's sudden loss of engine braking as the roadspeed declines below 10MPH is a design safety measure being used in almost all modern day FWD or front torque biased AWD vehicles. If you pay close attention you will probably notice the same thing happening as you slow from 40 to 30MPH.

I first noticed these transaxle "upshifting" features in my '00 RX300 and my '01 RX does the same thing. It's even well documented in the various Toyota and Lexus shop/repair manuals found at techinfo.toyota.com.

Search for "slingshot effect" in the RX300 thread.

The idea is to avoid a significant level of engine compression braking on the front wheels of your Camry. Engine braking that might lead to loss of directional control or maybe even worse have it interfere with your anti-lock braking system in the worse possible circumstance, a slippery roadbed.
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Nathan118,

There is a TSB out for the "lurch forward" when stopping.

I believe it is TSB TC010-06 or TSB TC015-06.....I'm not sure which one it is.

My car used to do the same thing. That TSB replaces a solenoid (and does something else). After I had that TSB performed the vehicle stopped doing that. And, I had TSB EG056-06 and the other TSB performed at the same time. The car performs much better than it did before, even though it already performed well.

Good luck.
    "And what you say leads to my next potential problem...finding a car that doesn't exhibit the same stupid behavior as this Camry."

Like your Camry, I have seen many equivalent complaints of engine delay/hesitation on almost all FWD Toyota boards plus VW, Ford, Honda, etc.

Is the new Camry available with a stick shift? Otherwise good luck finding a FWD vehicle with a manual transmission these days. The Suzuki SX4 is the only one I know of and I have not been able to find one, stick shift, on a dealer lot.

Additionally I have seen some indication that Toyota, across the FWD product line, obviously including the Camry, is adopting the same firmware shift pattern control technique for their FWD vehicles with automatic transaxles as is apparently being used on the stick shift SX4.

To prevent any significant level of engine compression braking apparently the SX4 will up-rev the engine to closely match roadspeed should the driver downshift to a level, gear ratio, that might inadvertently result in loss of directional control or interfere with ABS should the roadbed be slippery.

But other than CVT's I don't think we'll be calling our modern day automatic transmissions "shiftless".

Speaking of which is it the rather STELLAR FE of the CVT equipped vehicles that has resulted in this FE optimization gear ratio "hunting" technique with the Camry's "cogged" transmissions??
    "I get car sick pretty easily when someone else is driving,..."

"But getting car sick is becoming a regular occurence in this car (2007 Camry SE 3cyl),..."

I wonder...

Is it possible that the relatively few drivers that are more subject to motion sickness, like yourself(??) are the ones really noticeing the effects of the new Camry shift patterns first adopted on some Toyota products late in the last century?

Is the following a fair description of the feeling of your Camry during coastdown events?

Shortly after I purchased a new '00 RX300 I started noticeing the upshift (lightly "bumped" from behind) effect of the transaxle as I slowed to a stop, and the "slingshot" effect during coastdown at 40-30MPH. But within a few months or so I had grown so used to the effect that it was virtually un-noticeable.

When I traded up to the '01 RX300 I did make note of the fact that it had the same "symptoms", but other than that verification I don't notice it today unless I have reason to pay special attention.

So maybe...
  • exner60exner60 Member Posts: 11
    Yes, both the Camry SE and LE 4-cylinder models are available with a 5-speed manual.

Others FWD vehicles that have manual transmissions:
    Ford Fusion I4
    Mercury Milan I4
    Honda Accord (about five separate models)
    Nissan Altima
    Hyundai Sonata GLS or SE
    Kia Optima
    Volkswagen Passat
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, let's keep this conversation focused on the 07 Camry transmission issues...
    Does anyone out there own an '07 camry with a manual transmission and if so can you tell us how the engine/transaxle ECU "reacts" to a downshift for/during coastdown (clutch engaged) at ~40-30MPH or below 10MPH (brake on or off) into 1st gear?

In these situations do you feel you always get "normal" engine compression braking or does it sometimes feel as if the car surges forward unduly/uncomfortably?
    I get two very different feelings.

In the 30-40 mph range, the downshifting feels like the car is being pulled from behind, or an unexpected deceleration. (Doesn't sound like the slingshot effect of the RX300 to me, unless I'm interpreting your analogy wrong). It feels like when you take a manual transmission and downshift from say 4th gear to 3rd gear. The sensation of the car being slowed down is what I feel (not shot out of a slingshot).

In the 5-10 mph range it feels like a small push from behind, or more accurately, like the car started "sliding" for a moment when it stopped engine braking (or an unexpected acceleration). This sounds like what you're describing on the RX300.

To be a little clearer about my "problem," and hopefully not get off the thread topic, let me say this. I drove my wife's '01 Jetta this weekend for 300 miles round trip. The transmission wasn't exactly smooth all the time (felt like it was slipping in the low gears, or would clunk into gear) but that never made me sick. It wasn't smooth, but that's not what makes me car sick. It's the unexpected accelerating and decelerating that makes me sick. When the '07 Camry decides to make the car go faster or slower without me being able to anticipate it, that's what makes me sick.

I need complete control over going faster and slower. Am I asking for too much in the day and age of computer controlled cars? The suggestions for what types of transmissions, AWD or FWD, torque lock-up convertors, etc. are very much appreciated to hopefully narrow down my future decisions, and hopefully they'll be allowed in this thread. Thanks so much!
    "There is a TSB out for the "lurch forward" when stopping.

I believe it is TSB TC010-06 or TSB TC015-06.....I'm not sure which one it is."

My manufacture date is June '07. Am I still subject to this problem?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I moved a recent post to a more appropriate discussion. Here's the link: Would you buy a 2007 Camry?
  • rusty23rusty23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 LE Camry which I bought in May 2006. I have similiar problems that others have talked about here already: hesitation (especially on the highway when I step on it to pass someone), excessive shifting while the cruise control is on, and finally the transmission sometimes races when I'm going downhill and braking to slow down. I had the TSB EG056-06 applied last December at 10K miles. At first I thought the hesitation was fixed. But now at 20K miles I'm noticing the hesitation again. My wife was driving the car before and I just started driving it full time. The dealer says everything is fine and can't reproduce the downshifting problem. My question is: what do we do? I like the car otherwise and would like to keep it.
    Nathan118,

I'm not sure. The link I previously used doesn't currently work. The "TC" TSB replaces a solenoid and deals directly with the "harsh downshift" (as Toyota calls it). After having it performed the vehicle no longer "lurches" forward when coming to a stop.

Tell your dealer you want it performed. I asked mine and they did it for me......they didn't make me take them for a test drive or anything.
    Rusty23,

There is a revised TSB out. It is TSB EG056R-06. If that is the one they performed there should be a sticker underneath your hood on the bottom right side corner with the title of the TSB.

If you weren't the first person to drive the vehicle after the reprogramming, it may have "learned" (as the techs like to say) how your wife drives rather than you. I would call Toyota Corporation and see how they can help you.

Also, you could try going to a different dealer because any dealer can do warranty work......tell them you've heard great things about their service and may be interested in buying another vehicle. See what happens.

Good luck!
  • yuryyury Member Posts: 146
    Can someone who has been following the V6 tranny problems post some kind of summary on it? I am confused.
    I am on the market and Toyota's V6 offering is very good, but the tranny horror stories hold me back from buying.

BTW, would there be a way to make sure that a particular vehicle is ok based on build date, vin, etc?
    The tranny issues are affecting maybe 1 percent (don't quote me), if that many owners. These discussion boards are not a representative sample of Camry owners. What some people talk about, the delay, is something most cars have, although I have never experienced the delay. I just think some people have not gotten used to how the vehicle drives.

When purchasing any new vehicle. It is important to inspect every inch of the vehicle and take it on a very long test drive.

I can't sum up the tranny issues, so hopefully someone else will for you.
    camry07indy, haw are you doing on the transmission flare now?
    i thought they were talking mostly about the prm flare between 3rd and 4th gears. other issues i have seen is hesitation and loss of 2nd and 6th gears. The latter issue has been fixed for a while as far as i understand, but the situation on the other two is unclear to me.

about 1%....well the 07 tranny issues seem like a very persitent theme on any forum. even customer reviews on Edmunds has it frequently, so I don't see how I can accept something like that....
    Um...I'm not sure if the V6 is a six speed. I have a I-4 automatic. A friend has a V6 automatic with no issues at all.

You are correct about this forum. The forum is about "problems" so people come here to discuss them. It looks like maybe only a few hundred people, maybe a thousand. There are hundreds of thousands of 2007 Camry owners.

As far as customer reviews, you can't take them all literally. If you wanted to, you could write them up without even owning the vehicle. For example, I could write 100 different ones about Saturn and Ford...however, that would be pretty stupid and immature. Again, there are only a couple hundred reviews for the new vehicle. If people said the new BMW 7 series was horrible, would you believe them?

Anyway, there are some TSB's out for these issues/problems and most vehicles aren't experiencing these issues.
    ok, in my experience if something gets repeatedly complained about over and over again it actualy is worth listening to. So far my experince with forums with my Pontiac Vibe showed that most of those "known issues" were relevant affected me directly. Pretty much the same story with my next car - the malibu. i think i was nailed by pretty much every issue that was widely discussed.

the amount of complaints coming from the camry crowd is no less than what was coming out of vibe and malibu crowd. It's even bigger. So how can I ignore that? After all I want a vehicle that I would enjoy and I don't want to become a coworker of sorts with my servce advisor.

Now, can anyone responsibly say that, yes, about 1% of the vehicles are affected without just making a general assumption? Because, sorry, I am not getting a brand new Camry based on assumtions.
    Not to say these are all accurate, and it's not clear which models the complaints are on, but there is definitely something strange going on.

2007 Camry NHTSA ODI complaints

There are 64 complaints filed against the 2007 Camry for the automatic transmission. To put things in perspective, the 2006 Camry has TWO complaints. The 2007 Civic and Altima have two complaints a piece.

Now, whether all these complaints are tied to the V6 problems from last year, it's hard to say. Several of the complaints sound like problems I'm having, and my car is only a month old. If I had seen this research, I would have thought twice about buying a Camry.
    You are correct. It is important to do research before purchasing a vehicle.

I test drove 7 other vehicle before I purchased my Camry. I took them all on long drives.....highway, neighborhoods, bad roads, hills, etc.

"in my experience if something gets repeatedly complained about over and over again it actualy is worth listening to." Not true in all circumstances.....maybe so when it comes to cars.

You are not going to find a car in which there are no complaints. Thats all I'm saying. Like I've said in earlier posts. I have friends with auras, fusions, accords, 500s, G5s and G6s, and so on, and all of them have some sort of complain or issue. Thats why you have to test everything for yourself.

My friend told me not to get a certain type of plasma TV because it wasn't good and his quality was better. I checked it out, purchased it, and now he is jealous that I have a better, much clearer television picture. Thats my point in regards to your questions.
    Please do not htink I am saying that some people are not experiencing problems and issues, because I'm sure some people are.

However, I have to assume that some people are not used to the way the Camry drives. I have owned three and have never had any problems. Also, some people do not realzie that all cars do not drive the same way.

When I drive my girlfriend 2005 BMW and am merging onto the highway, when I stomp on the gas the car doesn't accelerate right away, maybe a 1-2 second "delay". I don't think it is a delay, thats just the way the car drives. If I wanted a super fast car with instant response all the time I would buy a 2007 Z06 Corvette.
    It appears to me that since about '98, with the introduction of the FWD/AWD RX300, automatic transmissions in FWD vehicles and FWD "based" AWD vehicles have been going through and evolutionary period that continues to this very day.

And now the latest news is that this is also happening with some of the manual transmissions in FWD and FWD "based" vehicles. Apparently some of the new FWD stick shift vehicles, when the driver downshifts to a level that would result in a significant level of engine compression braking on the front wheels, the engine ECU will actually rev-match the engine RPM to roadspeed.

Apparently this new evolutionary firmware composition (and in some cases transaxle internals redesign) is an effort to improve the overall safety factor of FWD (or..). Should the roadbed happen to be somewhat slippery then a significant level of engine compression braking might very well compromise your ability to maintain directional control. Obviously if it can interfere with your own stearing efforts then it might very well interfere with the proper operation of a stability control system, VSC.

Also obvious is the possibility that engine compression braking might interfere with your anti-lock braking system's functionality. ABS can release hydraulic brake pressure to keep your front wheels from locking up but absent the ability to "rev-up" the engine (or quickly, DAMN quickly, upshift the transaxle) it can do nothing about releasing engine braking.

My advice in the interim is find a new RWD or RWD based AWD vehicle. It may be a few years before this evolutionary period ends, considering it began in '98 and there is yet no end in sight.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Does anyone out there own an '07 camry with a manual transmission and if so can you tell us how the engine/transaxle ECU "reacts" to a downshift for/during coastdown (clutch engaged) at ~40-30MPH or below 10MPH (brake on or off) into 1st gear?

I have an '07 CE manual transmission, 0 problems. It drives like any other manual I have owned in the past. Always get normal compression braking. Only times that are a little unusual are when engine is very cold, just like other manuals I have owned. I love it.
    I'm not a car expert wwest, and it seems you know pretty well what you're talking about. I've driven my wife's '01 Jetta hundreds of times, and I've never gotten sick. It's a FWD as far as I know, so whatever problems the camry is giving me, I think there is more to it than just FWD.

Thanks for the help everybody. Now I just have to be patient for my plates to come so I can work on finding a suitable car and getting rid of this one.
  • camry07indycamry07indy Member Posts: 14
    7/18/2007
    Just had my transaxle and torque converter replaced, due to not being able to fix the shift slipping (flare) issue with the TSB TC007-07 reflash of the TCU.
    My car had 8,570 miles on it.
    The Toyota Part Number for the transaxle assembly is "30510-33530 TRANSAXLE ASSY, A"

My dealer, Butler Toyota of Indianapolis, Indiana has been as helpful as I could ask for with this.
    They told me if I have any more trouble, to not hesitate to bring it back.

I hope this issue is resolved, but only time will tell.

I'll report back over time.

2007 Camry SE V6 Titanium Metallic, Produced 08/06 Kentucky, VIN# 4T1BK46K37U5189xx
    Borla V6 High Performance Exhaust Toyota PN# 00016-32102
    5/29/2007 TSB TC007-07 done - Didn't Fix Flare Problem
    7/18/2007 Transaxle and Torque Converter replaced
  • niomniom Member Posts: 3
    :lemon: nathan118

I have an XLE V6 and I have the exact same problem you posted and on top of these problems my transmission also hesitates, rpm flares and the car delays to speed up when I try to accelerate. I bought this car late April 07. The car was manufactured in Kentucky, dated 4/1/07. So far, I've been back to the dealer many times for various issues with the car:

1 Transmission hesitation, rpm flares, car lurches forward when stopping, and the abnormal downshift when trying to maintain speed.
    2 Side airbag cover lose and falling off.
    3 seat warmers came not working - technician found the circuit not connected.
    4 Rear passenger ceiling reading light cover falling off.
    5 Front passenger seat shakes, vibrates, wobbles when driving.
    6 Alignment issue.

Most of the problems they have fixed, except for the transmission issues. They keep telling me that's just how the car drives and it's a safety feature that the car downshifts when you take your foot off the gas to reduce speed. They made me go test drive the car with them twice and told me they could not replicate the problem. The first time when I brought the car in they told me they had never heard of this problem and they will try to fix this for me. They did something called the reflash and the car was fine for a few weeks..then the problem happened again. After the first visit, I did some research on the www and found that there are tons of problems and Toyota is well aware of the tranny issues, I felt cheated. How can they tell me this is the first time they've ever heard of this when it's all over the internet, news, etc. There's even a TSB specifically for this problem.
    Nothing was done for the second visit, only test drive, not even paper work do document that I brought the car back in due to transmission issues for the second time. And of course, they look at me like I'm crazy and the car is perfect. They didn't even try the TSB stipike07 mentioned in his/her post.

I have to say...I am very very so unbelievably unsatisfied and disappointed with the quality of this poorly assembled vehicle. I've invested so much of my time in bringing the vehicle back for manufacturing problems. It has only been less than 3 months and I've already had this many problems. I had a Lexus before this car and I love my Lexus and since Toyota and Lexus are made from the same company and Toyota has such great reviews, rated the most reliable, I decided to give it a try, thinking that I can't go wrong with Toyota. I was wrong.

I really don't know what to do with this car and I really need some advice on how to get the car replaced, exchanged, or even repaired. Anyone please help.
  • palpakpalpak Member Posts: 21
    I really hope that edmunds.com help camry owners to ask toyota what really is the problem and plans for this 07 camry. If it really is a problem or not as toyota would claim. Edmunds.com, please wakeup toyota, you have given favorble car reviews, yet many owners complain of the same issue over and over again. I think its fair enough that edmunds.com to discuss the customer complains with toyota.

Owners, if you feel the same way, just reply to this message.
    It's good to hear I'm not alone. From everything I've read, I've already given up on this car. I'm waiting for my plates to come so I can get it out of my life and move on. I've been meaning to write a really mean letter to the dealer I bought it from. They basically told me I was out of luck and stuck with the car. Of course they'd let me trade it in and get something else, but I'm a little soured on Toyotas at the moment.

Wish there was something we could do Niom, but I guess we'll have to let our pocketbooks do the talking.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Good Morning Niom:
    I also own a XLE V6 2007 Camry that was purchased in January 2007 from a New Jersey Dealer. I have been following this issue for a long period of time. My vehicle DOES NOT have the problems as listed on this site, ---- but that does not translate into the problems not being real!
    This issue is going to end up hurting the Toyota name plate, because at this point in time, they are just about recovering from the "FAMOUS ENGINE SLUDGE ISSUE", and it appears that they have NOT learned how to deal with customers when a MAJOR issue arises. They think that the problem will somehow go away on its own!
    The important questions are: ---- Why are some vehicles "ok", and others loaded with problems? ---- Why does Toyota "stone wall the issue," rather than admit that their is a "problem"?
    Any automotive company can produce a vehicle with a problem. ---- But the difference between companies is the way the problem is handled, and how the customer is treated in the process. Toyota has customers today because of the way American Car companies treated their customer base in the past! That could all turn around!
    My dealer treats me very well in terms of regular service, but my vehicle does not have major issues!
    Best regards: ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi nathan118:
    There are a numbers of ways that you could handle this problem. You could try to get Toyota to "buy-back" the vehicle, you could trade the vehicle or you could advertise the "quality of the vehicle and the dealer" with plastic magnetic signs on the side of the vehicle!--- Example: =("This Toyota is a Lemon purchase from XXXXXX") -----Just a thought!
    Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :lemon: