Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited December 2013 in Volkswagen

Comments

• devilfishdevilfish Member Posts: 11
    Can anyone advise me as to whether or not these offers sound reasonable? I was hoping to pay closer to $400 a month (no money down except DMV fees), but don't know if that's realistic on either of these models. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2014 Passat 1.8T SEL Premium
    $454.79 with $347.50 due at inception
    Residual: 16,710.15

2014 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
    $426.14 with $347.50 due at inception
    Residual: 16,455.60

2013 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof + nav
    $438.81 with $786.31 due at inception
    Residual: 16,075.80

2013 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
    $410.39 with $757.89 due at inception
    Residual: 15,282.80
  • thoffartthoffart Member Posts: 1
    bought 2013 Passat premium listed for 34000. paid 29386. Armstrong vw in gladstone oregon
  • cut4thcut4th Member Posts: 1
    Checking with all VW dealers around Cincy- got the above to $24,816 including the delivery fee.

Thoughts? Sticker is $27,600.

Thanks!
  • theralph17theralph17 Member Posts: 4
    I traded in my 2011 Jetta with about 6 months left on the lease @$346/month at David Maus VW in Orlando, FL . Payoff was $16017 and car value was $14500. Got the 2014 Passat 1.8 TSI SEL MSRP around $31k down to $27,999, $700 out of pocket because I had to change plates from a different state and $397.60 per month for 36 months 12K miles per year. I saw that they got my payoff amount to around $15k about a thousand off. I think they used Holiday lease cash or something. I'm extremely happy. This feels like an A6 (I owned an 04 A6), but with less power and no AWD. This thing plays DVDs and even has memory key fobs. Super smooth ride and the Turbo bursts feel and sound great. Also smells really good! :) You guys think I done good?
  • theralph17theralph17 Member Posts: 4
    I got mine for 397.60 per month and I was underwater on my lease. Now, at the end of the year is the time to get them because of the insane discounts. I got mine $3k under MSRP and they overvalued my trade in just to get me under $400 because I wouldnt budge. Good luck, if not I will get you in contact with my Sales rep at VW in Orlando. You should be able to get a slightly better deal than me.
  • hercules00hercules00 Member Posts: 134
    Just purchased yesterday. TDI SE manual black with beige interior with alarm/mats. MSRP $27,675.

Purchase price $24,500 (including destination) + NJ tax + title. I paid $0 down, entire amount financed at 1.69% for 63 months - they matched and beat the 1.99% my credit union was offering.

Purchased from Valley Motors just north of Baltimore. Experience was excellent. Negotiated over phone/email - very straight forward Took train down to Baltimore from NYC, dealer picked me up from the station and I was out in 45 minutes. Could have been shorter if I had declined the detailed walkthrough of the car.

I was stoked because this was the only manual TDI SE in black/beige in 400 miles of NYC. Not only did I get the exact car I wanted but it was also the best price for any TDI SE.
  • 7point3psd7point3psd Member Posts: 4

Hercules are you saying you got it on the road for 24,500? I'm not having any luck negotiating with VW dealers. We wanted a Mazda 6 Diesel but they aren't available until April. So we decided to get a Passat TDI SE w sunroof. But the best price I have found out the door with VW .9% financing so far is 27,415 making it 29,349 out the door.

We're seriously considering buying the Mazda 6 gasser and forgetting VW altogether. The dealers should be trying to make some good deals this time of year but they just don't seem hungry. The car buying services seem to be a joke as well. Tried carsdirect, smartchoice, edmunds, kbb, and they are all not garnering much better results for VW quotes. The Mazda quotes are much better as a percentage below MRSP vs VW.

And FWIW edmunds doesn't even offer their service in our area for VW - it's not even listed. What's that about?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Dealers have to choose to participate in the Price Promise program. Also, the program is fairly new.

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2013

@7point3psd said:
    Hercules are you saying you got it on the road for 24,500? "

Not sure how you are defining on the road. The sale price for the car $24,500. NJ sales tax + title + registration were extra - I did not quote those because they will vary significantly by state. So the final total cost - including taxes and DMV fees - was 26,400. That is the full amount that was financed and I did not pay anything out of pocket.

I hear what you on the negotiation part. It really depends on where you live. For example, dealers in the NYC area do not care one whit about negotiating. Somehow dealers in the Maryland / Delaware area seem to have much better prices on offer. A couple of years back I also got my G37x from a MD dealer at a price substantially below what I was being quoted in the NYC area. I really do not mind making a quick train/bus ride down if it saves me thousands.

@7point3psd said:
    We wanted a Mazda 6 Diesel but they aren't available until April. .

I also wanted to at least evaluate the Mazda 6 diesel.

However, I am not getting good vibes from the 6 the way their diesel launch schedule has progressed. It was supposed to come out earlier this year. Then later this year. Now sometime next year. They are clearly facing some technical issues trying to nail down the mileage as well as non-treated exhaust. I was not ready to wait indefinitely or be the guinea pig for whatever Mazda finally cooks up.

Having driven diesel VWs in europe before, I was pretty comfortable getting one. Plus the car is freaking huge, especially the back seat. There is just an incredible amount of legroom back there.

If I were you then I would probably expand the search area and keep looking for a VW. I am doubtful that you will be able to get a 6 diesel substantially off list price when it is launched.

Good luck with your search. Don't lose heart. I almost bought the same exact 2013 Passat three months back but the deal didn't go through (it was actually at an even lower price). I was still waiting to see what they would change for 2014. Apparently nothing other than the pointless Carnet thing. So I paid more for pretty much the same care one model year newer but I think I still got it at a decent price.

Thanks for the encouragement and info Hercules. My wife fell in love with the 2014 M6 Grand Touring gasser, and frankly so did I. We paid $30K for it so we threw logic out the window if comparing it to the TDI - but the VW guys were such [non-permissible content removed] hats to us and the Mazda people treated us with kingly respect and NEVER any pressure whatsoever. So we plunked 15K down and financed the other 15K at .9% interest. We love the car and we really loved the way the dealership treated us. We'll keep this one for a couple or 3 years and see how the diesel model pans out and go from there. Thanks.

@7point3psd said:
    My wife fell in love with the 2014 M6 Grand Touring gasser, and frankly so did I.

If you were going the good old gas route then that would be the car to get in this segment. Congratulations! I am also envious that your wife actually like a stick shift. I would have given anything to buy a stick G37 but as it was going to be our only car back then, I had to settle for a slushbox.

I have shifted to doing all car related negotiations entirely over email and phone. I will go test drive at a dealership that I know I will not buy from (I get a sense of their pricing from TrueCar and Edmunds) and then negotiate with others over email and the tricky parts over phone. This substantially keeps the clown behavior you describe above in check.

It's not a stick it's the automatic. We prefer automatics. I liked manual when I was younger lol.

• vac373vac373 Member Posts: 1

Can anyone please help me figure out of this is a good deal for a lease on a Passat:

2014 Passat SE 1.8T w/moonroof

$240 a month (includes tax) No fees at signing, but they would take my paid off 2003 (purchased new in 2003) Jetta GLS 1.8T with 138,000 miles on it. First month payment covered and 2 maintenance visits included. 36 month lease.

Also thought about purchasing but I'm a bit skeptical because I've had a lot of maintenance issues with my '03 Jetta over the years. The other car I'm looking at is a 2014 Honda Accord Sport. I really did like the way the 2014 Passat drove.

Thanks in advance for your input/advice

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Please help launch our new Facebook tab and be one of the first to share your car shopping experience.

• plinaplina Member Posts: 61

Does anyone know, What are the new incentives after february 3rd?

• redlinezredlinez Member Posts: 12

I do know they have $2000 for sure. Minutemanvw in Boston is advertising crazy discounts for $4000-5000 off. Not sure what strings are attached there. I don't live anywhere near there though.

• ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155

Going to look at the TDI's. 0.9% for 60 plus a $1,000 gas card. I have a 2009 Jetta TDI (41,000 miles) in perfect condition. If they are decent on the trade I might pull the trigger.

Just got back from the dealer. 2014 Passat SE with Sunroof & Nav(Tungsten Silver Metallic with Cornsilk Beige)...$31,375- $1,500 (savings and rebate)=$29,875-$13,980 (trade in)=$15,895+$475(fees)+$1315(sales tax)=$17,685 OTD.
    I'm going back tomorrow to see if I can get it for $15,000 OTD.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

Ok, so with the 0% for 72 months plus $750 cash back, what would a realistic (aggressive) target price for a 2014 Passat 1.8TSI SE w/ Sunroof & Navigation be? MSRP: $28,715 Including destination, Invoice: $27,572, TMV: $26,801. $3000 under invoice?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056

@nyccarguy said:
    Ok, so with the 0% for 72 months plus $750 cash back, what would a realistic (aggressive) target price for a 2014 Passat 1.8TSI SE w/ Sunroof & Navigation be? MSRP: $28,715 Including destination, Invoice: $27,572, TMV: $26,801. $3000 under invoice?

Are you ready to pull the trigger and get the replacement for the 3-series?

As the saying goes - "if you don't ask, you don't get". Offer $24,500 and see what the dealer says.

I think $3K under invoice is more than aggressive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@michaell

No. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet. I'm enjoying my BMW too much. I started driving it with the transmission in manual mode. I'm just curious more than anything. My wife and I still have to test drive. Then I'll try and make my best deal:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@nyccarguy said:
    michaell

No. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet. I'm enjoying my BMW too much. I started driving it with the transmission in manual mode. I'm just curious more than anything. My wife and I still have to test drive. Then I'll try and make my best deal:)

As you've pointed out elsewhere, the lease on your BMW ends around Labor Day, which is an awesome time to be car shopping, as it's the model year changeover for many manufacturers. You should absolutely be able to score a great deal on a MY 14 Passat, if that's the direction you choose.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• kerbearkerbear Member Posts: 4

Went to VW dealer for a work car, a 2014 Passat DSG TDI premium was about to walk when a manager says "oh yes i can match there internet price on cars. website 28737 , give you this extra window tinting, fabric protector for the life of your car and the spoiler on the back oh and we can give you 90 days no payment" so I of course turned around and was ready to sign at that point. Kept asking for the number breakdown but they insisted I fill out a credit app, I unlocked my equifax via my cell phone which was showing 728, I had recently checked all 3 scores which were in the 728-740 range so I had no worries asking for Tier 1 financing which was 0.9%. Get to the finance guy desk only to be told my scores were Auto 09 scores showing equifax 655, experian 653 and Transunion 748, ok now Im a bit upset over the issue with the varied credit scores, he has me sign the Equifax one showing the 655, however I qualified for 1.59 financing from VW so ok great was ready to sign, finally looked over the numbers and noticed the price the manager said he would do he added onto that the following: owner loyalty bonus 1000, college graduate 600 freight 820, dealer fees 199 of course tax tag and title which is fine but the rest made the purchase price go up. When I spoke to him he stated he forgot to tell me the deal he was giving me was only with me qualifying for those incentives, he also told me I couldn't get the $1000 fuel card VW was offering on the 2014 TDI's. I said no and believe it or not the guy LET ME WALK????? WHAT.. ok so I was angry and I hated to waste the hard pull for nothing.

Almost pulled the trigger yesterday..2014 Passat SEL Premium. Sticker price $32,475. Platinum Grey/Moonrock. Got them down to $29,000 plus $14,000 for my trade (2009 Jetta TDI with 42,000 miles). Out the door price was going to be $16,700 including taxes and fees. 0.9% for 60 had the payments at $292. I didn't do it because I can't see trading in the Jetta that runs great, has zero problems and is fun to drive. Just had the 40,000 service done, new tires and battery. BUT the Passat was one sweet ride. Maybe next time.......

• djubinvilledjubinville Member Posts: 2

Leased a TSI SEL Premium 1.8T (MSRP $31.4k) back in late May for $350/month, $0 down, 36 months,12k a year here in Orange County, CA. Ended up dealing with VW of Orange and at the time, but VW of Garden Grove and McKenna in Huntington Beach were very close as well (within 5-8$) and I think would have ultimately done the same deal. Not sure if incentives have changed since, it seemed like VW dealerships were being extremely aggressive with TSIs at the time, not so much on TDIs. VW of Orange is new in the OC and trying to make a good name for themselves and win some business. Love the car so far, quiet on the road, very good pick-up, and very fuel efficient - easily high 30s on the highway and right at 30 mpg combined. Thanks to all other participants on this forum who helped me with my decision.

• walzholzwalzholz Member Posts: 10

Looking to buy Passat TDI SEL. List is $34,800.00. What is a reasonable price to pay and what incentives are available? Thanks!

@walzholz said:
    Looking to buy Passat TDI SEL. List is $34,800.00. What is a reasonable price to pay and what incentives are available? Thanks!

You can use the pricing tools at the top of the page to help you figure out the average selling prices where you live.

Not much in the way of incentives .. 1.9% financing for up to 60 months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• djubinvilledjubinville Member Posts: 2

@djubinville said:
    Leased a TSI SEL Premium 1.8T (MSRP $31.4k) back in late May for $350/month, $0 down, etc...

Correction : The MSRP was actually $32,385 so $32.4k not 31.4k.

• 1pt21jigowatts1pt21jigowatts Member Posts: 25

Just wrapped a deal in NJ, 36 month, 10k per year lease with a Passat SE with sunroof, MSRP of $27,865 with 3 years of scheduled maintenance included for $299 down and $299 a month. Got 4 other dealerships in the area and none could match or come within $20 a month.

Congrats on the new car! Thanks for letting us know how you did.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311

About to contact dealers in NY to buy a Passat SE, no roof or nav. I believe MSRP is $26,695 and invoice is $25,845. What should be my target price?

@rbirns1 said:
    About to contact dealers in NY to buy a Passat SE, no roof or nav. I believe MSRP is $26,695 and invoice is $25,845. What should be my target price?

Invoice minus incentives is a good starting point ... maybe subtract $500 from invoice.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• togrovetogrove Member Posts: 25
    I'm thinking of buying a 2015 VW Passat 1.8T Wolfburg w/ Tech package. In the test drive, the 1.8T felt more powerful than the previous 2.5L. I want to go with the Wolfburg mainly because of the alloy wheels and leatherette seats. I have sunroof on my current car, but don't really need it on my next car. Not really need navigation either. I also compared with the 1.8T SE edition, but am not sure if the SE offers substantially more. Can you guys think of possible reasons to upgrade to an SE?
  • jorgerunfastjorgerunfast Member Posts: 8
    A local dealership has a new "2014 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 4DR SDN 3.6L V6 DSG SE W/SUNROOF" on the lot, with a sticker of $30,675. Considering it's a 2014, what could I realistically expect to pay for this car? I'm intrigued by VW's 60 months, no interest offer on the 2014's, and this happens to be the engine, and color combo I was looking for.

Thanks!
  • maxlevmaxlev Member Posts: 85
    Looking to buy or lease a 2015 SEL. Any indication on specials for January? Lease would be 36m/36k.
    maxlev said:

Looking to buy or lease a 2015 SEL. Any indication on specials for January? Lease would be 36m/36k.

.00024 MF and 50% residual. $3500 lease cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator