Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited May 2015 in Honda
Welcome to Edmunds discussion dedicated to 2014 Honda CR-V purchase experiences. If you have recently purchased a 2014 CR-V, please share your experience here.

If you've purchased (or are thinking of purchasing) a 2015 CR-V prices paid, please join us in the: 2015 Honda CR-V Prices Paid & Buying Experience forum.

For the latest leasing info, check out 2015 Honda CR-V Lease Questions">2015 Honda CR-V Lease Questions

You can also research local dealer inventory and get pricing, reviews, features, and specifications on our 2014 Honda CR-V page. (And here's the 2015 Honda CR-V page.)

To see all forums discussions about the CR-V, including earlier model years, please visit our list of Honda CR-V discussions.

We also invite you to share your purchase experience on Edmunds Facebook page, Share Your Story.

Comments

• abstractjabstractj Member Posts: 6

I'm in Northern California. I was quoted from TrueCar 2014 CR-V EX (2WD) for $23,288 which includes destination charges. However, it does not include taxes and dealer fees. The price seems to be really good, given factory invoice for EX (2WD) is $24,350. The TrueCar price is already $1,000 below invoice.

My question to the forum, what is the typical "dealer" fees. I've seen in other forums in the past where dealer will give a low price, but will pad their dealer fees to make up the cost. I tried to read as much as possible, but there are 600+ pages of posts here. If it's already covered, please point me to the right post. Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping to have the EX OTD price around $25,000.

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

ssethi

your deal with this dealership is not that good. keep on negotiating. get more dealerships involved. To many add on's is whats weighing this deal down. Do you even want all of them..??

Invoice with dest charge is 26,830 you want to be 800 to 1500 below this number. Paying a 599 admin fee is like giving back 600 of your below invoice price..

Your target price to buy at all dealerships with a 599 admin fee should be 2000 below invoice. which would make your deal 1400 below invoice if dealer meets your price..

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

@mwiggin said:
    Hi - I just sealed the deal on a Honda CRV- LX FWD. I'm thinking I did pretty well. Did a lot of homework, Cars.com. Edmunds, Consumer Reports. Went into a dealership briefly to test drive then put used the internet to have dealers in a 200 mile radius court me. The number look like this:

Invoice........... 20,446
    Dest Charge.........830
    Doc Fee...............299
    TTL.....................325
    OTD................21,900

The dealer delivered it to my house (an hour and a half away). I'm feeling pretty good.

Whatcha think?

I think that's a pretty good price, based on what others LX buyers have posted so far.

Brian, what type of fees can people expect on their final OTD cost? You bring up a good point with admin fees etc. I know it varies state-by-state and also dealer-by-dealer, but please provide an overview of types of fees we can expect. Thanks in advance.

• harper11harper11 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2013

abstractj - remember there have been postings for fwd and awd which makes for some of the price differentiation.

edited December 2013

@harper11 I assume it's LX base FWD which $21,900 is pretty good OTD and not invoice.

OTD pricing consist of

doc fee, your states tax, dmv fee's. some states have a tire fee and some have a internet fee. that would conclude otd pricing.

Admin and doc fee's have to be incorporated into your asking price to make those dealer profit charges a wash on the bill of sale. the smart shopper lets the dealer know this when they complain about pricing cant be met..

• buyer80buyer80 Member Posts: 2

Just purchased a HONDA CR-V EX-L With Navigation in southern California Invoice is $28234 price paid includes destination is $27223 + $80 doc fee +288.75 TTL +$29 electronic vehicle registration + sales tax $2508.49 OTD $30129.24 Also purchased Honda care $1500 7year/100kmile warranty & Lojack for $569.12

• donneledonnele Member Posts: 6

@brian125 - well it seems the hunt for me has restarted.. We were on our way down to buy EX-L - awd w/NAV Only to get a call from the dealer.. that the car has been sold.. Were now - reconsidering FWD same car..

They are giving us OTD Quote of 29,159 (includes the 8.75 tax fees etc)

• harper11harper11 Member Posts: 5

abstractj: My apologies - I didn't realize you were responding to a specific post. It was a great price - and they were lucky enough to live in a state with no sales tax.

There are 2 days left to buy in Dec. people who buy the last days of this month will find great deals.. Get as many dealerships involved as your willing to travel. If you strike a deal by email or phone have that dealership put it in writing and you will give him a credit card deposit. This secures your deal.

• kadams902kadams902 Member Posts: 2

Brian, thank you for all the help, I have learned a lot reading through the past few months of posts. In your opinion, should the target still be 800-1500 below invoice, or would recommend a lower target due to the end of the month/year?

edited December 2013

kadams902

Your area plays a big part in pricig.. having knowledge of that price market gives you a ideal of how much you could get.. In NY/NJ/ CT the market is between 500 to 1000 below invoice. Knowing this......... my target price might be 1400 below if i was buying tomm . At worst case buying from a dealer who will sell at 1000 below. Get as many dealerships involved.. This will help find dealers willing to sell at a lower price . Some may still need those end of year sales numbers etc..

what area are you looking to buy/ lease

• kadams902kadams902 Member Posts: 2

Brian, I'm in the Chicago area looking to buy tomorrow or Tuesday if the price is right. Originally I was aiming for that target area you have mentioned so often. I'm thinking for my area that should still be a decent price.

Yes.............. you are in that target price range . Calling / emailing 15 to 20 dealerships should help you in getting a better price.. good luck post your deal when done..

Use prior sale posting to help you with pricing and buying in Chicago

• dh2013dh2013 Member Posts: 7

Brian, looking at a quote from a NC dealer : 2014 CRV EXL 2wd
    $25,890 + 776 tax (3%) + 73 title + 549 docs = $ 27,288 OTD . Should I look at your $1500 below the $25890 ( 25890 - 1500 = $24,390) ... and dealer is saying I need to finance thru Honda or is the $25890 a good starting price already ? if so can I then ask for various accessories like Wheel locks, splash guards, spoiler, side molding, cargo tray and roof rack ?
    When should I bring up a trade-in ? ... Thank you very much for your response

dh I................ Im you

brian can you let me know what you think ... Thanks again

• howtobuycarhowtobuycar Member Posts: 3

which website shows invoice price? I saw MSRP price only...

• frank206frank206 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
  • frank206frank206 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    I m posting my purchase honda crv ex fwd 2014 San Diego today: 22818 + ttl ( 250** otd with .9 apr 24 months) . I can pm the dealer info if u think u need it. I think it is a good deal because it is 1500 below invoice + destination fee. The dealer is good. We negotiated the price through email and went there closed deal. Thanks Brian for his guide posts here.
  • pabbiwpabbiw Member Posts: 3

Hello ,

I am getting this deal in Michigan for CRV LX AWD
    Invoice22924 Mudgaurd149 Tax1375 Doc Fee200 Plate 200 Total 24848.

Is this a good deal?

Want to pull the trigger before 31st please update.

Thanks

• jealkonjealkon Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013

Philadelphia area, 2014 CRV EX-L AWD $27000 (Car price)

lx awd model = 23.553 with dest/charge. Your deal is 629 below invoice minus 200 doc fee.

selling price 429 below invoice.. mudguards are 65 dollars..thats near dealers invoice price.

There is room to negotiate on this deal.

• uscobrauscobra Member Posts: 1

2014 LX FWD =23,871
    21,765 Cash Price
    1,747.61 Sales Tax (OC CA)
    80 Doc Proc Fee
    29 Reg Fee
    141 Veh Lic Fee (Est)
    100 Reg Fee (Est)
    8.75 Ca Tire Fee

If you buy in Huntington Beach they give you a voucher for a city parking pass (~$150)

This cash price was the Internet price (ask to look at their book to verify). I also saw a Pilot EX 4WD for cash price of $31,415.

Good luck folks!!!

• annt2annt2 Member Posts: 2

I've been quoted $26,151 including destination for a 2014 AWD CRV Ex-L which seems very good. Am taking with another dealer who says this is a ridiculous price and wants to see the quote. Is it normal practice to email one dealers quote to another? Thanks!

• dobsoniondobsonion Member Posts: 1

Best price solicited for a 2014 AWD EX-L (no nav, no res) is $1,000 below the invoice+delivery of $28,000. Why no better than this, considering the special $3,000/vehicle dealer incentive for beating Dec12?

Brian, looking at a quote from a NC dealer : 2014 CRV EXL 2wd $25,890 + 776 tax (3%) + 73 title + 549 docs = $ 27,288 OTD . Should I look at your $1500 below the $25890 ( 25890 - 1500 = $24,390) ... and dealer is saying I need to finance thru Honda or is the $25890 a good starting price already ? if so can I then ask for various accessories like Wheel locks, splash guards, spoiler, side molding, cargo tray and roof rack ? When should I bring up a **trade-in **? ... Dealer wants to make their number so mgr. called me back with a $26,800 out the door
    How/when do I bring up the trade ? Thank you very much for your response

I was able to negotiate via email 2014 CR-V EX (2WD) with Lifetime Drive Train Warranty for $25k out the door. I went to test drive the car, but did not end up buying it. The quality of the interior was very disappointing.

Also, the car just felt a little flimsy. I went to test drive the new Jeep Cherokee and was very impressed by the car, so I'm leaning towards the Jeep. If anyone is interested in my contact at the Honda dealership let me know. I am in San Francisco area (East Bay). I am not affiliate with any dealership.

dh

Ask dealership if he will give you added accesories at invoice price. You may have to pay dealer for installion cost of spoiler and mud guards.. You need to be flexable here especially if he sells you those items at his cost. The more you chew him down the less likely a good price will be recieved on your trade in. Its a catch 22 you will take a hit on the new sale side or the trade in side. IF you feel that price is fair call him back and tell him you decide to trade in your vehicle.. Its best to have a back up dealership.

• tugboattedtugboatted Member Posts: 1

Hey, wanted to add my purchase to the mix. Just bought a 2014 Honda CR-V EX FWD in Basque Red Pearl. I think it was a decent deal at 23,500. I bet I could have gotten it cheaper if I bought one of the "grays" in the lot, but I had my heart set on red and they had to do a dealer trade for it. Anyway OTD at 25,9XX. So roughly got the MSRP OTD, feeling good!

BTW, Thanks Brian for your tips. For those of you that's going to the dealers in the next day or so. You just have to find a dealership that's willing to deal. Most are willing to deal, but when it comes to numbers few of them will move.

• justjesus33justjesus33 Member Posts: 2

Hi Brian
    What are the 2014 CRV EX awd going for OTD..I am in Chicago area too..I got a price of 24914 for it ..I know this is high..I been playing around with the number..I am thinking more like $24,-24,200 including dest.. doc is $189.30 Tiltle and and reg $155 +tax..Does this sound fair..

I know its late but NC/SC buyers go to Scott Clarks Honda in Charlotte and see Rich/Dave/Barney ... incredible deal ... see them

• yym2001yym2001 Member Posts: 2

Hi Brian I got a quote for 26700 OTD for 2014 CRV EX awd. Does this price sound good? Here is the breakdown: invoice price : 24000 including destination fee); doc, electronic filling, county flat tax, & tile: around 400; plus tax.

Take the time to call Barney @ Scott Clark in NC 1-877-389-8348 ... for us , it was well worth the drive. We were in the midst of getting all worked up by several dealers that were much closer to us but just thought we would not give up and made a decision to call Scott Clark Honda to compare some numbers. The attitude and pricing was such a positive experience that we are still amazed with our very favorable buying experience. This was a real answer to prayer.

Brian ... thank you so much for your time and expertise offered on this forum ... just like you said , we did our homework on the $900 to $1500 below invoice , accessories installed and how to introduce the trade-in offer. Barney listened to us, saw that we had done our research and took our case to mgmt. and the result ... we drove off the lot with a 2014 CRV EXL 2wd financed by American Honda which is an incentive to both us and the dealer.

Happy New Year ... and thanks again for your insight

• hk26hk26 Member Posts: 4

Hi Brian, thanks for your comments, they are very helpful. My quote in New Jersey: 2014 honda crv exl, $26,800 including destination, + doc fees of 369+ Reg and NJ taxes of 7%. That's the best I have got after talking to a few dealerships. This is 1200 below invoice ( I have excluded doc fees from this).
    One question: does it makes sense to buy honda care of 7yr/80k miles for $1150?
    Thanks a lot for your help.

• ziggy2014ziggy2014 Member Posts: 1

HK25 would u post the dealership name and address and the person you were dealing with
    sounds like you got the best deal possible
    Thanks so much

justjesus

Your area 's market price is between 700 below invoice to 1500 below your models invoice. The higher end of this price you might not get until the end of the month or when dealersips stock starts to increase.. Read back prior posts to see what dealers in your area are selling at.. then repost any question you may have..

hk26

Good job with your negotiation your in the higher end of our area's tarket price range.

As far as that warranty if you plan on keeping that vehicle 7 yrs thats your piece of mind.
    i feel when i buy a honda vehicle i pay that extra $$ for good quility build and resale value.. I have owned 6 honda vechiles and never took the warranty so i'd say i'm either lucky or i'm buying a good product. I also saved 7k over the years. I'm sure the laws of average might catch up one day if i bought 5 more hondas but until then i'll keep that cash in my pocket.

.If I buy a american vehicle and plan of keeping it more than 5 years i would consider on that Vehicle..

yym

Great price your model is 25,519 with dest charge.. No brainer make the deal.. This is a 1500 below invoice price sale..

Post the dealership and state your buying in after you complete your sale..

• dbm14dbm14 Member Posts: 1

Just bought a CRV AWD LX in TN. Here is the official breakdown:

$499.00 Doc Fee
    $67.50 Tax/tag tax
    $44.00 county tax
    $78.59 business tax
    $1652.73 state sales tax
    $21,890.00 price of vehicle

= $24,231.82 out the door

• hls65hls65 Member Posts: 6

Brian, I bought a 2014 CRV EXL 2WD on 12/31. I am in SC and this is the breakdown . Price paid $25,500 Including Dest, wheel locks, splash guards, trunk tray. Dealer Doc Fee 299.00, SCTTL $325. I added the spoiler $300 installed at dealer. I also added 6 oil changes and 6 tire rotations for an additional $199, this also includes free road side assistance...
    So Total OTD with all mentioned items was 26,623.95. I missed out on Flex cash, there wasn't any available, dealer said it was gone by the middle of the month. I am not sure when they get it and how much they get. All in all I feel I did pretty well. Brian thank you for all of your information on this forum! Buying a car is stressful and it is comforting to have your information so that you can make smart car buying decision and sleep well at night knowing you got a good deal!!!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Man.... how often would I switch cars, if the sales tax was capped at $300?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bmrowebmrowe Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2014

Here is my quote on an LX AWD + door edge guards + pin stripe + 2 years oil changes.

Sale price: $22679. $150 doc fee + $200 licensing due at delivery + free first month. 36 mo/12k.

Monthly payment $244 plus tax.

Seems like a decent deal. I am told our invoice here on an LX AWD is $125 higher than Edmunds due to an advertising fee. Hopefully that is accurate. I am scheduled to sign the deal tonight, so any quick feedback would be appreciated.

his65

good job on your purchase. Dealers in SC are not selling like some other states. If i buy the same vehicle in NY my tax rates is 8.875%. Thats another 1500 in taxes...LOL

kyfdx@Edmunds,

The way the prices of these cars keep on going up I'm going to be on a bike soon.

I'm wondering when Edmunds is going to hand us out some discount car coupons.

Might be best to let them fix/ update this new web site before we bother them.......LOL

• yym2001yym2001 Member Posts: 2

Hi Brian, Thanks a lot for the input! I sealed the deal today. changed my mind in the last minute. decided to go for EXL AWD. I am in Chicago. The dealer was pretty nice and still offered me a 1500 below invoice price (i.e. 26500 including dest.)+tax, etc. It really helps to read the previous posts!

yym,

good job on the new SUV purchase. Alot of the members here have seem to do real good at the very end of the month especially the last 2 days of dec.. Thats exactly how you buy every new car at months end...

• annt2annt2 Member Posts: 2

We bought a 2014 CRV EX-L AWD on 31st. The prices quoted included the $500 incentive for taking out Honda financing but that wasn't mentioned in the quotes. Ended up paying slightly more ($50) than $26,151 quoted earlier, at an in town dealership, worth it to not make the 2 hour drive, however, while local dealerships were (extremely reluctantly) willing to come close to the price they did suggest the dealership offering the original price might do a bait and switch process if we bought from them. (I had no way to know if this was true). There was a very hard sell on paint and fabric protection followed by a very, very hard sell on extended warranty. Not sure I'd use this dealership again - they told me one price for the title and documents then charged $20 more on the invoice which I didn't catch till the next day. Also charged $179 dealer fee, but all dealerships I contacted had a fee of $145 to $179 and said this was fixed. Just mentioning these things because I found the process a bit stressful and didn't know enough when I went in to be certain of what was and wasn't negotiable! Happy with the overall deal though.

This discussion has been closed.