Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Classic Cars as daily drivers

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Other than on a few oddities, ABS and airbag limits you to the mid 80s at the oldest. Otherwise, you can find some 60s cars that meet most of that, or can with little effort.
  • Options
    astphardastphard Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm still considering what classic car(s) might work for me. Since I live in southern Louisiana, I'm guessing that would qualify for extreme heat. I'm partial to the styling of early 50s cars, but in reading some of the threads today the steering definitely became a discussion point.

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out how old of a car I should realistically start looking at. And it's not that I need ABS or airbags, I just didn't know if car experts felt that they should really be there if one was driving a car daily. And I'm definitely a checkbook mechanic, though I wouldn't mind learning to be more hands-on. Just haven't had the opportunity (or the guts).
  • Options
    jt1990jt1990 Member Posts: 1

I am considering buying a 1962 Oldsmobile F-85 Cutlass, and was wondering about the availability of parts as I am thinking of using it as a daily driver... As painful as this may sound to some of you, I kind of cringe at the thought as well; I need a more reliable vehicle and this one is in my price range and only needs a little interior work, beyond that the car is very good condition and still runs.

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690

Which engine does this F85 have? The 215 V-8 was aluminum, and I think could be a bit troublesome. There were three versions, IIRC a 2-bbl, 4-bbl, and turbo model, rated at 155, 185, and 215 hp, respectively. The turbo was troublesome.

There was also a 198 CID V-6 engine around that timeframe, which I think had an iron block. However, it might have been limited to the Buick Special.

These engines went on to become the Buick smallblock V-8 and V-6, and in V-6 form, lasted up through 2008, when the few remaining applications were replaced with Chevy 3.5/3.9 units. I don't know how many parts would interchange over the years, but engine parts might not be too hard to come by.

In 155 hp form, which is probably what most of them were, don't expect it to be very fast. 0-60 in around 14 seconds, probably, when it was new and in top shape. Adequate enough for most needs, but if you need to do a fast merge onto a highway, it might be a bit hair-raising. I think they used a 2-speed automatic, but not sure which one. I don't think it was a Chevy Powerglide, but could be wrong on that.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

You should be able to find all maintenance-type parts, but rare trim pieces might be tough, as well as odd mechanical bits like gauges and radios---you may have to scour for those. By all means join and Olds club you can find that has members with similar cars to yours. You might also consider conversion to a dual master cylinder, radial tires and electronic ignition.