Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

@sandman_6472 said:
    The wife's '05 Mazda3s just hit 137k and besides the a/c not working on #1 and #2, the "at" light came on the other day. Figuring that if we don't fix things, we'd get about the same trade number from a dealer which would probably be super low. Does it pay to fix before we trade or not? Doubt we wouldn't get anymore if we did the fixes here. Just looking for the best way to get her into something new in the somewhat near future. Any thoughts would be appreciated here. It really has been a good vehicle over these past 9 years as today is it's birthday.

The Sandman :)B)

With those miles the dealer will probably just wholesale that Mazda. Anytime there are lights on the dealer will have to assume it's the worst thing possible that is wrong.

Yeah, don't expect a lot of money.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited July 2014

hmmm... Regular Cab, right?

Tough one. ALL examples have been in southern cali and all have had far fewer miles than yours.

I'm a bit confused by these, to be honest. When I look at the W/T, its looking like a $15k truck. When I look at the LS, its more like $10k. BUT, since those W/Ts are all in Cali, that could affect it greatly since I think Cali has a much much higher demand for diesels if I'm not mistaken. I just don't know what to tell ya.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122

Hi Qbrozen: It is the crew cab W/T with the Diesel and the new body style. GM had the classic body style also in 2007.

• jkipsterjkipster Member Posts: 270

@qbrozen said:
    G35: well, California seems to love these. Worth more there than in the northern states. You'd probably see $7k-$7500 from a dealer if it has had no paintwork and is clean.

What should I expect from a private sale? Thanks.

2001 Passat
    2010 G37S Sedan
    2013 G37xS Sedan
    2014 QX60
    2015 Q40
    2016 QX60
    2016 E350 Sedan
    2017 QX60
    2019 E450 Wagon
    2021 Sienna XSE AWD
    2022 Lexus RX350
    2022 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
    2023 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4WD
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

Thanks, Q - none out west makes it more valuable, right? :smile:

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    edited July 2014

Chevy: I can't tell from auction listings what the body style was. I'm gonna go with my $10k number based on one in VA with 75k miles getting $12k at the block. I would have thought the crew would have added to the number significantly, but doesn't appear that way.

G35: Again, if clean history and all that, you could detail it up and put a tag on it for $9995 and take the first $9k that comes along.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ivylucyivylucy Member Posts: 12

What can I expect for wholesale on an '08 Saturn Outlook XR V6 3.6L FWD with 124,912 miles? Vehicle is located in Eureka, Illinois and is red. Thank you!

If clean and no prior accidents, about $7k

Dealership is asking $13,814 for said Outlook... What should I think about trying to get it for? Thank you so much!!

I would also be paying cash if that makes a difference.

And I should add, it has the air bag connector recall that needs to be done still.

wow! that's quite a markup.
    Can you even get the recall done?? I'd check on that first. I guess you call a chevy dealer.
    Sooo... let's see... I think they should be hard up to get rid of a Saturn these days. Let's say they've got $8500 into it. $10k purchase should be doable.

• buster6buster6 Member Posts: 134

Thank you in advance for any guidance. I have a 2013 Equinox LTZ V6 FWD. It is pretty loaded up with V6, nav, roof, chrome rims and 19" tires. White with grey/Black leather interior located in Phoenix. Mileage is at 16,500 right now. Everything is in good shape on the vehicle.

• paulhuangpaulhuang Member Posts: 62

Hey guys, I haven't been around in a few years and glad to see RWTIV thread is still going on strong (did Terry ever come back?). Would appreciate some guidance.

Wife's 2007 RX350 AWD was in a collision last month when someone pulled out in front of her. Damage didn't look that bad, but the shop bill was 6000. Replaced hood, right fender, right headlight, right headlight washer, bumper cover (was actually pretty scratched before the accident). The whole front end and part of the doors were painted (big value killer if I recall from hanging out here in the past)

The shop is supposed to be good (Caliber Collision, big company on the west coast, MB certified collision center and my State Farm agent recommended them) but the car is not good as new - the panel gaps are somewhat uneven. I am taking it back in next week to get some adjustments.

Car has 34k miles. I am wondering how much diminished value I might be looking at to see if it's worth filing a claim with insurance.

Thank you for your help and have a great Fourth of July everyone!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

probably 15 to 20%, or more if the repair order shows "frame damage" or "frame pull". So I'd guess $3,000 to $4,000 is still on the table for you to pickup. However, you will need a professional appraiser to do a "diminished value appraisal" on your vehicle, which is then submitted as a claim against the offending party's insurance company. Most insurance companies dislike these types of claims so you will have to keep the pressure up.

I found another Saturn Outlook XR, this time it's a midnight blue "07 model V6 FWD with 157660 miles on it, in Peoria, IL. They're asking $9988 for it. What should I expect to pay for it? I'm hoping to get OTD for $6000 or less. Think its possible?

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

In a word - No.

To get OTD (Out The Door) for $6,000, you would have to be at +/- $5,500 before tax, title and license. That would be about 45% (almost half) off of their asking price. In all my years of buying and selling used cars, I've never seen anyone come down 45% from their asking price.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    edited July 2014

Agree with the above. I had you at $10k on the '08 with 30k fewer miles. Without even looking this one up, I'd say you'd be doing OK to get OTD for $8500.

If $6k is your budget, maybe you should really reconsider your target vehicle.

Ideally, my target vehicle is the Saturn outlook. But what we need is something with three rows of seating (no vans though, I'm not ready to be a soccer mom) that will hold at least 7 people and be able to comfortably fit four rear faced car seats. Any suggestions there?

We would also be trading in a vehicle too though, so you have to figure that into the deal. We might even possibly buy a warranty from them depending on the price. Trade in is an "03 Saturn Vue V6 AWD with all leather interior/running boards/roof rack with roughly 148,000 miles on it in between fair and good condition.

I should also note, that we purchased our Vue from the same dealership almost two years ago... The sticker price on it was (if memory serves correctly) $8000... We paid $5250 OTD with a junk trade in ('99 Oldsmobile Alero... Had transmission issues, no heat or AC, one of the back windows wouldn't roll down, and the cam shaft in it was bent. I think they gave us $500 trade in value for it.) So we got that one for almost 1/2 off the sticker price too.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433

4 rear facing car seats? That must be tiring! But IMO any mid size SUV is going to be too small or a nightmare to deal with using one in the third row. Plus no room for strollers. Sounds like suburban territory.

Actually sounds exactly like you need a minivan for your application. They really aren't that bad!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

I would consider looking for a Chrysler minivan that will run a long time, have plenty of room, and get you out of trading a diminishing asset every 2 years or so. They are cheap but you do have to get them checked out carefully (as with any used car).

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    edited July 2014

Good morning @qbrozen. Can you tell me what I can expect as the trade value on the following:

2013 BMW X5 X-Drive 35i Premium
    Black Sapphire Metallic
    Black Leather Interior
    Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg
    Never Hit
    9/10 Exterior
    9/10 Interior
    15,500 Miles
    AWD/Inline 6/Automatic
    NYC Suburbs

Thank-you as always! Hope you had an excellent 4th of July Weekend!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited July 2014

ivlucy, I strongly urge you to think again about a minivan. I really have no idea how you strap kids into rear facing seats in an SUV. I mean, here are the steps as I see them: 1.remove one of the rear-facing middle row seats; 2.fold said middle row; 3.climb in with child in arm; 4.swing child over seat and strap him/her in; 4.repeat steps 3 & 4; 5.reopen middle row; 6.reinstall child seat...and so on.

At least with a proper minivan, you can walk between the middle-row captain chairs so there is no need to remove a child seat to fold the 2nd row.

Unfortunately, you are looking at around $500 for your current vehicle. They would have around $6500-$7k into that '07 you saw. So my guess of $8500 was even optimistic.

Avoid the older Chrysler/Dodge minivans. Transmissions are notoriously bad in those. If I needed an inexpensive 3-row vehicle, I'd be looking for a low mileage Mazda MPV.

And I'll just be brutally honest. With 4 little ones to deal with, you ARE a soccer mom. Get used to it. Hell, we only have 2 kids, but once I finally got my wife to concede to a minivan, she refuses to consider anything else.

thanks, nyccarguy. you, too.

That's a mighty young X5. Why the change of heart?
    Figure about $46k, give or take a nickel.

@ivylucy‌

Definitely go with a Minivan. You will not regret it. Everyone who has a Minivan loves the space and practicality. We have 3 kids and a 2011 Honda Pilot. I was gung ho about buying an SUV partially because I need the 4WD where I live (CT), but also because I thought it was "cooler" than a Minivan. Well, I can tell you that we are happy with our Pilot after 3 years and over 51K miles. It ain't any cooler than a Minivan. They are just as ubiquitous. There are many times when I have said to myself "you should have gotten a minivan." Try pulling my 7 1/2 year old & 5 year old out of the 3rd row when they are fast alseep.

@qbrozen‌

It is my Mom's. She picked it up at the end of the MY last year right when the new body style was coming out because maintenance costs & looming repair costs of her beloved 2011 V6 Cayenne were out of control. She misses the blind spot alert, doesn't like the BMW's Navigation, doesn't like the X5's backup camera, says the seats aren't as comfortable as the Porsche, & the "keyless go" has a mind of its own. The car has locked her out a few times. Once with my kids in the car. My 5 year old was able to unbuckle himself and unlock the door rather quickly.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Bradd, go say hi to Richard. He misses you.

Will do!

• paulhuangpaulhuang Member Posts: 62

Thanks Mr_Shiftright. Have sent out some inquiries to appraisers about a diminished value claim. There is enough money on the table I will need to do the work and get it because I know my car is not worth as much as it used to, and I was on the cusp of trading for a minivan too!

We don't have four little ones yet, but worse case scenario lol. We have 2 year old b/g twins right now. The third row right now probably wouldn't be utilized a whole lot right now, but if we needed it, it would be there. We rarely haul around a stroller, so that's no big deal either. I rarely leave to go anywhere by myself either, 99% of the time I have either the hubs or my brother with me. I just really want a vehicle with 3 rows of seating so I don't have to car shop for a LONG time. I've looked into basically everything else with 3 rows of seating (including mini vans, had one before and hated it) and most everything is out of our price range or is a van. We also can get ridiculously brutal winters in Illinois, so an AWD or 4x4 vehicle is a must have for us. Finding those features in something besides an SUV is kind of hard. I really do appreciate all of the input though!

@ivylucy‌

I'd recommend a Pilot. The current body style has been around since 2009. Mechanicals are solid. It might cost you more than these used FWD Saturns you are looking for, but it should hold up longer. Keep us posted.

hmmm... but the '07 you posted, ivylucy, was FWD. So I'm a bit confused.

Sounds to me like you don't need anything different right now, so my final suggestion is to keep saving up until you really do need to make the switch.

Sorry, I meant to add FWD is acceptable too, qbrozen. We do need to get SOMETHING different though, because the Vue is starting to hve several things go out on it. We have already had to spend nearly $1000 on things for it this year (excluding things like tires and oil changes/tune ups/general maintenance.) I think we're also starting to have transmission issues, and that is a known issues with the Vue. I guess it isn't in as good of condition as I originally thought...
    nycarguy, thank you for the suggestion! I've been looking into the Pilots as well, but I haven't been able to find any locally within a decent price range. I'm willing to finance a portion of the car if we could find something we liked that was in a decent range... I know that $6000 is a hefty down payment for a used car though if we finance. I just worry about paying more than the car is worth if we end up financing. Plus it's really hard to get a loan for a small amount without the contract being way longer than necessary.

You've got a vehicle with 150k miles and you are looking to trade for another with 150k. Reliability is not exactly going to improve.

BTW, early Pilots have a known transmission issue, too. Not widespread, but something I'd definitely be concerned about when you are looking at examples with so many miles.

I know you don't want to hear it, but Here is your car. 3 rows, automatic, under 100k, cheap, and (per MSN autos) good reliability. Yeah, its ugly. But at this price point, its function over form. Their price is pretty fair. Maybe could get $500 off. Or get them to give you $1k for yours. Either way.

Or, a more respected nameplate for a couple grand more. This example is way overpriced. $6k OTD is within grasp before even factoring in your trade.

Kia is cheap. If clean, an excellent deal. I also love the MPV. Especially with a moonroof on the ES. One like that below 5k, with the 3.0l engine, could make a fine spare car.

• indiesindies Member Posts: 14

Hi there, I'm new to the forums and was just curious to get a trade in value on a 2011 Audi Q5 3.2L Premium Plus SUV. Below are a list of the specs and options:

Mileage: 60,000
    Clean Carfax History, 2 Private Party Owners, Audi CPO Warranty for 100,000 miles or till February 2017
    Exterior: Brilliant Black
    Interior: Cinnamon Brown
    Engine: 3.2L 270 HP V6 Engine with FSI Direct Injection
    Transmission: 6 Speed Automatic with Tiptronic
    S Line Package
    Audi MMI Navigation Plus Package
    Panoramic Glass Sunroof
    Audi Parking System Plus w/Rearview Camera and Sensors
    iPod Integration/Bluetooth Phone Pairing
    Bang & Olufsen Premium Sound System
    HD Radio/Sirius Satellite Radio with Realtime Traffic Updates
    Single CD/DVD Player w/ HD Jukebox
    Leather Heated Seats
    Xenon plus Headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights
    Color Driver Information Screen
    Power Assisted Liftgate
    Auto Dimming Mirrors and Rain/Light Sensing Wipers/Headlights

Excellent condition with no mechanical issues or repairs needed.

Recently had new rear OEM brakes put on from Audi dealership and had new front Audi OEM windshield installed due to a chip I got from a rock on the interstate. All scheduled maintenance and service performed at local Audi dealership.

Located in Arkansas, thanks!

I know it doesn't have 3 rows of seating, but I'm possibly considering purchasing something that will be good for us for now, and just trade in come tax time this year or next year (depending on if we have more kids between now and then.) I'm considering an '06 Ford Escape Hybrid with 98,696 miles, and it's white. It's the base FWD model. What should I pay for it? Are they good and reliable cars? I don't know a whole lot about Ford's, simply because I've always driven Saturns. It was what my first car was ('95 Saturn SL SOHC) and it's also what my second car was (my current '03 Vue.) Any advice for me? Sorry to be picking all the brains here so much!!

"...but I'm possibly considering purchasing something that will be good for us for now, and just trade in come tax time this year or next year"

While I can't speak to the reliability or durability of an 8 year old Escape Hybrid with close to 100,000 miles, I can tell you that trying to buy a car to get you through a year isn't going to end well.

We may end up keeping it longer, I don't know... I just know we need to do something and buying new isn't an option for us, or else I would. The husband and I both have crap credit so there's no way we could even get approved for a loan either... I'm just petrified we're going to get pregnant with another set of twins (it's the genetics on my side of the family, I'm the 4th generation of women having had multiples, so it's a legitimate concern) and we won't be able to fit everyone in whatever vehicle we decide to buy right now. If you feel that buying a car to get us through until we have a higher price range won't end well, what would you suggest doing? I'm really trying to kill two birds with one stone in finding a vehicle that would accommodate at least a family of 6, but truthfully one that would seat 7 or even 8, but things aren't panning out for me very well at all. UGH. Sorry for the whole life story there!! :)

edited July 2014

I'm just petrified we're going to get pregnant with another set of twins

You know, they make many products to prevent pregnancy that are far far cheaper than a car. Just sayin'.

As for the Ford, I can't really speak to the reliability, but I have considered getting one myself because they are pretty darned cheap on the used side. As are Vue hybrids, BTW. Anyway, that one is going to run you $6k-$6500.

If you really are looking for a stopgap measure, why not the Kia I posted? If you keep your purchase price down under $3500, you at least protect your downside on most vehicles. If you have the cash on hand, buy private party and look for repair receipts. Then sell your Vue private party. Lots of folks would jump at a $1500 SUV regardless of the repairs needed.

I buy and sell $3500 cars pretty often and never lose money as long as I take care of it.

@indies‌ - That's a lot of miles on that particular vehicle. And having 2 owners already is not going to make the used car manager all too happy. Probably looking at $26k.

• indiesindies Member Posts: 14

@qbrozen Thanks! I appreciate your advice and for you taking the time to respond. Have a great day.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

On the Audi, keep in mind the CPO warranty only transfers to a private buyer. So it doesn't mean anything to a dealer taking it on trade. Learned that when I was selling/trading my A5.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• dan436dan436 Member Posts: 28

Hi guys
    Hoping you can tell me what to expect on my trade /private party sale. I have a 2011 pilot touring. It is white, very good condition with 31,000 miles. Has rear entertainment. Thanks for the consideration.

2WD or 4WD? Where in the country are you? How come you are looking to ditch it?

• dan436dan436 Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2014

4WD, Navigation live in IL and my lease is up.

@qbrozen‌

What do you think? $22K?

@dan436‌

What is your end of lease buy out? I'm sure it is worth more. Wait for qbrozen to respond. You've come to the right place.

Should be in the $25k range with those miles

@qbrozen‌

My parents walked out of the MB dealer. They were offered $39K for the X5! They are going to keep shopping;). Thanks as always for your help!

• buster6buster6 Member Posts: 134

Hi,

Hoping you guys can help me peg a trade in value on my SUV. I am in Phoenix.

2013 Chev Equinox LTZ V6 FWD--19k miles
    White with Grey/Black interior
    Nav, Chrome rims (factory), moon roof and towing pkg

Thank you in advance for any info you have