Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape

Comments

• bfkbfk Member Posts: 5
    How does the Escape perform on sandy beach?

Excellent/Good/Bad?
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    Well, close to 80K on the '01 Escape XLT V6. This last weekend and the weekend before, I replaced the rear-shocks (kind'uv a pain but conquered them after 3-hours), and most recently this past weekend a mechanic friend helped me change the front-struts at his shop. Monroe Sensa-A-Tracs all the way around, made in Japan ironically enough. The OEMS are sourced to Tokico anyway, and they were labled on OEMS ' Tokico'. For DIY'ers who do replace the struts/shocks with Monroe's, you may wnat to thread the nut on the shaft first to make sure it is right. The nut, from the box, was the wrong thread-count for the strut-shaft. So, it didn't thread properly. We had to reverse it and, rethread and find a nut in the shop that was the right thread. A real pain, and an extra hour's work. I'm going to write Monroe about that.
    I will be replacing my tires this weekend (235-70-R16's) with a set of 255-65-R16's,
    Goodyear Wrangler HP's. They should fill out the wheel wells a little more and not cause too much of a speedometer problem.
  • tamastamas Member Posts: 1
    I bought an Escapex2 recently.
    The first service is at 60k. My local Ford dealer wants to charge $450 for the service.
    I moved to Michigan from Eurpoe recently, I don't have a good feeling for prices but in my country this cost would be way too high.
    Can somebody help me on this with some experience?

thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what we think the 60k service should cost in your zip code.

Note that what the manufacturer recommends can vary widely from what the dealer thinks you should do.

Steve, Host
  • bfkbfk Member Posts: 5
    I always wonder what Ford means by "Intelligent 4WD" in their 2005 Escape and wonder whether they have made BIG a mistake by removing the manual 4wd (high) setting in earlier model (therefore make the Escape less offroad/sand capable).

However after doing a bit of research on their system, I feel a bit more comfortable and find that the new system may be better than the older manual system:

1- The system is running in a locked 4WD (50/50 locked?) when start up until a certain minimum speed (not sure when it switches over to 2WD - from gear 2?)
    2- It is running as a 2WD from a certain minimum speed (from gear 2?) until the system decide to engage 4WD (variable torque distribution depending on the situation - probably using a multi-plate clutch) BEFORE the front wheels slip (not sure how the system detects this but apparently via many inputs: throttle, wheels' speed, etc.).
    3- Not sure when the system will switch back to 2WD (when the front wheels and the rear wheels travel at the same speed?)
    3- The system will switch to a locked 4WD driving mode (50/50 ?) IF it found that the 2WD to 4WD switching hapens too often to prevent system overheating.
    4- 4WD will be disengaged when the system overheats (should not happens if the system works properly?)
    5- When the system overheat it will run in 2WD and will function again when it cool down enough.

I would feel very comfortable with this system if it works as I have just described (except for missing of 4WD low but that is a different story).

Can someone knows the Tribute/Escape or work on the Tribute/Escape comment on this?

Thanks.
    I certainly do not work on the AWD system, and do not supose to know much about the workings of the old or the new systems. However, based on what I've read, the new system is basd on the current Volvo AWD in use in their SUV. Not bad for Ford, as they get to carry over this technology d/t Ford owning Volvo. The system is also used in several variations on the Ford Freestyle Crossover vehicle.
    From what I've read so far, the system is reliable and pretty hardy, but only time will tell :)
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The biggest difference between the new Escape AWD unit and the previous one is that old one was hydraulic. There was something akin to a torque converter between the two axles which would transfer torque to the rear wheels when the front wheels slipped.

Because they hydraulics could take up to a couple of seconds to actually transfer torque, there was a manual lock knob.

The new system is electronic. Sensors can anticipate wheel slip and a solenoid kicks in transferring torque in about 50 milliseconds.

There was a press event for the Ford Freestyle, which uses a similar system, at a gravel quarry. The Freestyle and the competition were both driven up a steep bank of gravel. Stopped and then driven forward again.

Only the Freestyle's system prevented the car from rolling down the hill. The Chrysler Pacifica rolled backwards about 9 feet before the AWD engaged and the Buick Rendezvous rolled all the way to the bottom.

Mark
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    Did you have the calipers replaced? The pads?
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Watching a Motorweek they were at the Taiwan motor show. The Ford "Equator" made its debut. Slightly larger than the present Escape. They said a new v6 was in order along with more safety in mind.. Debut for production could happen sometime in 2008 they said... Lets hope...
  • oldjoeoldjoe Member Posts: 132
    Since many, many of buyers of the original 4WD configuration could not understand when or if they should switch to 4WD from 2WD, Ford decided to take that overly complex decison (for some owners) away fro0m them and let the computer decide. Not all 4WD owners can walk and chew gum nat the same time.
  • dlesliedleslie Member Posts: 1
    We love our 2001 escape but I have a problem I would like help with. It started shaking and lost power now it shut down and will not start. My husband tried looking at every fuse but he cannot hear the fuel pump, he thinks it is the fuel pump. It has 85,000 miles and the auto store guys says he does not think it is the fuel pump.

Can anyone help me please with this if you know it is not the fuel pump before I buy a fuel pump. please :confuse:
    Actually, it has nothing to do with customers. The new intelligent awd system is works in a completely different way.

The old system detected wheel slippage and transferred torque with something akin to a torque converter. When the front wheels slipped torque when to the rear but not instantaneously as the coupling had to "spool up" To shortcut this potential delay, you got a lock in switch.

The new system is electronic. Sensors measure the wheel speeds and can engage an electronic clutch to send torque to the rear wheels in 50 milliseconds or about one-seventh of a tire rotation. With this quick reaction time, there is no need for customer intervention. Accordingly, there is no switch.

Mark
    Not an expert opinion, but Ford fuel pumps are pretty audible right before turn the key all the way.

However, I hope it is not the fuel pump. Changing the fuel pump is not something you are going to do yourself...

That is unless you have a lift..its competely inside the gas tank and you'll have to remove the gas tank to get to it. Oh and you'll have to put a gas tank, with gas in it, somewhere where you want endanger yourself while you do this.

I hope you have AAA.

Mark
    You have no power at all? radio? windows?
    My suggestion is to have it taken to the dealer. They can find the problem pretty quick these days with the diagnositcs they use. unfortunatly if it is the fuel pump, ouch... its going to cost you..
  • alicia5alicia5 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 Escape XLT 4WD - I love it. I just got it in the summer and have apparently not been in any conditions that require the 4WD system to kick-in yet. However, last week I was reversing up my driveway - which had some snow on it - and the truck kept slipping all over the place. Isn't the Intelligent 4WD system suppose to prevent this? Or does it not work when the truck is in reverse?
    Thanks!
    :confuse: I have to admit, that is a great question! Does the Intelligent 4WD work in reverse?? Sorry, can't help you I have an 01 Escape that I can turn a button and lock mine into place. I will howver go to another large Escape chat room and as around. If I find an answer I will let you know!
    Did you try it in forward?
    Actually, today we had a lot of snow where I live, and while driving on the highway the 4WD light never came on, and I'm pretty sure I felt the truck slipping. There has been nothing I have done since buying the truck that has caused the 4WD to activate. I'm getting a little concerned!
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    and while driving on the highway the 4WD light never came on, and I'm pretty sure I felt the truck slipping.

The 4WD light only comes on when the 4WD system is malfunctioning. In other words, you're fine.

If you hit some ice you'll still slip no matter what 4WD or AWD system you have.
    I looked in my owner's manual this morning and it indicated that the 4WD light does come on when the 4WD system has activated. There were also two different kinds of flashing that the indicator light does depending on whether the system overheated or needs service.

If the light isn't actually suppose to come on when the system is activated, how does the driver ever know if it's working or not?
    from the question I posted on another forum about the 4WD system. I have to agree, I would be your light does come on when the system is activated. I would take it in to the dealership and have this checked out...
    If you haven't gotten the E-prom update(s) loaded then you need to do that from the dealer. It should be covered under a recall for the one from about 18 mos. ago. Anything newer and you may have to pay to get it done. Not sure.

Also, have you checked the IAC (Idle Air Control Motor). They gum-up real bad and eitherhave to be cleaned thoroughly or eventually replaced. I've replaced mine twice, just to be safe.

Also, you may want to check the coil-packs to make sure they are functioning properly. I've heard that bad coil-pack(s) can casue some of the symptoms you described. There will be six(6), one ofr each spark-plug. While you're at it, check the spark plugs themselves. If you've got 75K miles or over on the originals, then it's possible that the OEM's need to be changed out d/t wear or fouling.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I believe the light comes on when you start the vehicle and the 4WD system is being checked for errors so maybe that's what you read. Kind of like how the airbag, ABS, battery, etc lights come on during startup checks too. If any of them stay lit you need to have the system checked.

FWIW, pre-2005 models had a switch that when turned to 4X4 the light lit and stayed on until the switch was moved back to "Auto".
    Well, just to be on the safe side, I did take my Escape into the dealership on the weekend for them to take a look. I have to say, I do not have much confidence in the technician who looked at my truck. He couldn't tell me how Intelligent 4WD worked, he couldn't tell me when the light should/shouldn't go on, didn't know what kind of 4WD was in different Escape model years (ie. manual switch vs. automatic), and more. He claimed that everything was fine. I did drive it in the snow shortly after that and it performed very well. So I'm going to leave it for now and hope everything is okay.
    Your vehicle is equipped with an intelligent 4WD System that
    continuously monitors vehicle conditions and automatically adjusts the
    power distribution between the front and rear wheels. It combines
    transparent all-surface operation with highly capable four-wheel drive.
    The 4WD system is always active and requires no driver input. It is
    capable of handling all road conditions, including street and highway
    driving as well as off-road and winter driving.
    During very extreme off-road events, the 4WD system has a heat
    protection mode to protect itself from damage. If the system detects an
    overheat condition, it will enter a locked mode. If the heat in the 4WD
    system continues to rise in locked mode, it will disable itself. To exit heat
    protection mode, simply stop the vehicle and allow it to cool.
    4WD system indicator lights
    • Blinks continuously when 4WD
    system is disengaged (i.e. two
    wheel drive) due to heat
    protection mode.
    • Blinks several times every minute when 4WD system requires
    service. Please bring your vehicle to your local dealer for service.
    Driving
    4WD system messages in Message Center (if equipped)
    • SERVICE 4WD: Displayed when 4WD system requires service. Please
    bring your vehicle to your local dealer for service.
    • 4WD LOCKED TEMPORARILY: Displayed when 4WD system is
    locked (i.e. permanent four wheel drive) due to heat protection mode.
    • 4WD DISABLED TEMPORARILY: Displayed when 4WD system is
    disengaged (i.e. two wheel drive) due to heat protection mode.
    • 4WD AUTO RESTORED: Displayed when normal 4WD system
    function is restored when heat protection mode is exited.

https://web.msslib.dealerconnection.com/RightSite/getcontent/myfile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000- c58804e366f
    https://web.msslib.dealerconnection.com/RightSite/getcontent/myfile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000- c58804e366f

For some reason, the site puts a - in the link...
    Try it this way:

http://tinyurl.com/ckazp

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the download of the manual - but that's exactly what I read in my owner's manual except for one point. Under the section about the 4WD indicator lights I have three bullet points and this owner's manual only has two.

Was this owner's manual for a 2005 Escape? Could the difference in manuals have anything to do with the fact that I'm in Canada?

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help!
  • 68gt68gt Member Posts: 1
    Just a heads up , had to replace alternator on wifes escape, What a job Did it myself and saved a bunch, Ford wanted close to $400 to do this and i did it for about 200.
    One thing i did find out is in the repair manual tell you to break apart drive axle and intermideate shaft, you dont have to you can keep all one piece to get it out
    Had a private shop do this on my '01 Escape about 8-months ago. Total cost was $490.00 including the tow when the alternator gave out, no warning, the vehicle just went dead.

Anyway, the shop did take out the drive axle to get to the alternator. How'd you do it without disassembling everything ?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    drove my wife's escape today, had to step on the gas. it has a nice little growl at 5k rpm. that's when i glanced at the tach while trying not to get run over merging onto a highway. the merging part was not a problem.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    With all the Escapes I see on the road this room is dead! Well, I have been here at Edmunds now for about 5 years. My 01 Escape XLT v6 4WD just clicked over to 65,000 miles. Seems like yesterday that I brought this vehicle home. The Escape runs fine, no problems to report. I do have a small squeak coming form my stearing column area. Seats, plastics, interior all holding up well otherwise. My total cost of repairs over the years of owning this vehicle is $132. Way less than Edmunds says. Brakes have been done on the front of the vehicle. I have changed the oil every 3K miles. transmission flush every 25K miles, Radiator flush every other year. To be honest. I am now looking at getting a car. We can tow our watercraft with my wifes Tribute V6 4WD. No need to have two of these in the garage. I am looking at the Jetta, G6 and Fusion are my top 3 choices right now... If anyone reads this... :confuse:
    I notice that a lot of people come to the forums to [non-permissible content removed] about things. So take the lack of activity in this forum to be a positive.

Mark
  • mystiquemystique Member Posts: 24
    Anybody know when the new escape will be out. The Equator concept looks like the shape of the Escape, possibly the next gen? I have heard both '07 and '08, anybody have any idea?
    Just reported today on a different car site that the possible Escape replacement is being engineered in Brazil to be built possibly in Mexico and will be based on the current Brazil designed and built Eco-Sport which is a huge hit in Latin America.

The Edge is pretty much replacing the Escape in the small midsize category, leaving room in the smaller 4 cylinder end of the Market.

Expect a redesign in some fashion or the new vehicle by the 08 model year.

Mark.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    come on scape, you got some catching up to do with mileage. I just rolled 74,560 today on the way into work with my '01. She still purrs nicely. But I feel her days are getting numbered. My wife is due July 4th, and she has me looking at upgrading to another vehicle.

List is as follows (and in this order); (all '06MY)
    1. Pontiac SV6 FWD 3.9ltr (w/ towing package)
    2. Ford Freestyle SEL FWD
    3. Nissan Quest SL Special Edition
    4. Honda Pilot EX
    5. Hummer H3 (wishfull thinking) :shades:

I'm headed to the Philadelphia Auto Show Feb 4th and going to be checking out alot of vehicle. I will post a link to showcase pictures from there.
    Oh by the way, I was offered $11,500 trade-in on the Escape towards the SV6 and Freestyle. That got my wife droooling, but I said to wait till after the Auto Show.
    sorry if it's been a while between post's, very busy at work and home.

Odie
    What I am hearing is Ford is going to drop the Escape. The Edge is going to pretty much take its place. Mazda is for sure dropping the Tribute also. I like my Escape and would buy another in a heart beat. I hate to say it but Ford is known for doing this garbage. Rather than improving on a great vehicle they drop it and move onto something else. The Escape/Trib/Mariner have a good platform to make great things happen.
    I too had also read and seen on an auto show about 2 months ago that the Equator could be the Escapes replacement. I am however reading different news today.. Escape will probably go by the way side in 2007/08 model year... :cry:
    Pf_flyer is going to the Philly show - rumor is that he may have some Edmunds swag to give away. Last I heard he planned to camp at the Subaru display around 11 am on Saturday. He'll be in his Edmunds golf shirt most likely. So if you're in the area, look for him. :-)

pf_flyer, "Auto Show Season 2006 - Members Meet up!" #274, 31 Jan 2006 7:13 pm

Steve, Host
    I will be sure to keep a look out for him. He's a local from the area just as I am so it would be nice to say hello. And of course I will be the only person wearing a Penn State Children's Hospital shirt to an event sponsored by Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. :D
    Unfortinataly, I want to go in stlye so I'm driving my wife's car down to the show. :shades:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'm coming in on the train this year!

You're one of those who say, "Meet me at Beaver Stadium! I'll be the one in blue and white" ;)
    Nah I Went to Tennessee... it's ORANGE and WHITE. LOL

It only takes me about 1 hour 15 mins to drive down from Hershey.

To quote Dr. Emmitt Brown "Roads, where we're going, we don't need roads."

Odie
    The Escape is built on a modified Mazda Famila/626 platform so its pretty dated about 12 years old at this point. The obsolesence really shows in the crash test results where its clear that the Escape is just not up to par with some modern designs.

The new rules for safety buttons on power windows goes into effect for the 08 model year so something will definately have to change by then.

The Edge is going to be priced at the high end of the current Escape line so its not a direct replacement.

Ford is stating that there are basically 2 different kinds of CUVs those that emulate traditional SUVs, such as the Escape or those that look like something completely different such as the Murano, and now the Edge. As such, Ford may want 2 CUVs in the same price braket or close to each other.

Mark
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    To start with, I have a Freestyle for almost a year, so I'm prejudiced, but here are my comments:

1. Pontiac SV6 FWD 3.9ltr (w/ towing package)
    - This is basically their old minivan platform with a new cover...I'd stay far away.
    2. Ford Freestyle SEL FWD
    - I have an SE that cost $25K with safety package, convenience, Tri-zone heating & A/C, 20-25mpg, currently 23K miles, great ride height, car handling, and zero problems
    3. Nissan Quest SL Special Edition
    - If you really need the really large space of a minivan, I'd get an Odyssey for the handling and interior space/layouts.
    4. Honda Pilot EX
    - This is a good one, but for me the interior space of the Freestyle won out...compare the interior specs
    5. Hummer H3 (wishfull thinking)

How about the Toyota Highlander?
    Well, we looked at the Ody, but after all the packages, it went just out of our price range. That's also why the Pilot is low man on the list. It's going to be a knock down street fight between the SV6 and Freestyle. We had both for a 24 hour test drive and it's just going to come down to features, pricing, and deals when we do go ahead and buy. The more I think about it, we will more than likely be paying the vehicle off from the get-go anyway. I just don't want to let 'Big Blue' (as my daughter calls it) go, because of all the added features I put into her.

Odie
    When you did your test drives, did you notice any big differences in the driving?
    When my wife and I had the vehicles we did notice many differnces. My wife kept complaining about lack of power on the SV6, but we only had the 200hp 3.5ltr. Then she said the Freestyle didn't have the get-up she is accustomed to, so I explained the CVT to her. I liked the dash layout of the SV6 better due to the fact it has the column shifter. Having the column shifter adds a little more width for leg room for my height. On the 2 dirt/gravel roads we had tested both vehicles on the SV6 handled the twists alittle better, but the Freestyle handled the hills better. I feel that both vehicle has it's advantage and disadvantage over each other. I liked both, but it will come down to her decision. :surprise:

Odie
    BTW...how many adults/kids do you expect to be carrying, because the SV6 has the space of a full size minivan, where the Freestyle is more of a big station wagon with a 3rd row. Good enough space for us, but if we had a couple more kids we'd look at a minivan too.
    As for amount of people. There would be myself and Wife, plus 1 3 yr with 2nd child due in July. But I also pull a small trailer every once in a while and also move larger items quite often. Most of the stuff fits in the Escape, and the towing package on the Escape was more than ample.
    For Towing with the others;
    1. '06 SV6 - 3500lbs with 3.9lt and towing package.
    2. '06 Freestyle - 2500lbs (all the engine can handle)with aftermarket kit (no package avail.)
    3. '06 Quest - No towing package avail.
    4. '06 Pilot - 4500lbs with towing package.

As for Horses;
    1. SV6 - 201 (3.5ltr), 240 (3.9ltr)
    2. Freestyle - 201 (3.0ltr), 245 (3.5ltr - Not yet released)
    3. Quest - 240 (3.5ltr)
    4. Pilot - 240 (3.5ltr)

I have to list the Quest and Pilot, because they are still being considered. They are at least 3 laps behind the leaders, but they are still in the race. :shades:

Odie
    For that sized load, I'd go for a minivan, so if the SV6 is the minivan you selected, then I'd stick with that. If you do go for the Freestyle, make sure you get the 2nd row without the center console, because it would be pain to keep flipping up the seats if you go with the 2nd row bench.

Personally with your load I'd look at a 2 year old (to be on par with the price of a new SV6) low mileage Odyssey or Sienna for the additional quality, reliability, interior space and flexibility.
    This keeps coming up so I'll keet posting it.

With the CVT, if you want the tranny to drop instantly to a low ratio, you have to literally, totally, completely FLOOR the gas pedal.

There is a little button under the gas pedal that only gets activated if you FLOOR IT!

The Freestyle and Five Hundred have plenty of get up and go, when you know this little trick that every Salesman should know but doesn't. They just don't sound so good on the ears while doing it.

Mark.
    I have a Freestyle and you're right, if you floor it the revs jump and the car shoots forward; however, you don't need to do that all the time for good power. Just pressing the pedal down halfway gets the RPMs up to 3000 and I've found that to give plenty of power for passing, merging, and zipping around without the engine roar of flooring it.