Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Questions About Private Sale Transactions

123457»

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    side curtains should be stamped somewhere on the interior A pillar, I believe (just like side airbags are stamped on the side of the seat). ABS you can tell by either looking under the hood and seeing the ABS module or slamming on the brakes during the test drive to make sure they kick in.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If I'm not mistaken, most vehicles have an ABS light on the dash (along with all of the other check-this-or-that lights). This light should turn on when you turn the key, before you start the engine. If it's there, then the vehicle obviously has ABS.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    bonnanobonnano Member Posts: 9
    I just sold a 06 RAV 4 with 87K that was in a ($10K) wreck 25,000 and twi years ago, the Carfax looked awful so dealers were only offering $6000 trade. Put it on CL with VIN and full disclosure for $9800 and received 4 calls immediately. First buyer bought it for $9500 cash. Two weeks later I put my 08 Tacoma DCSB V6 Trd OR up with 37K miles for $21,900.

Same thing first buyer paid $21,500. Both deals were made at their banks where the banks made a cashiers check out to me and I signed over a title and notarized a Bill of sale. They were off to DMV.

I went off to replace the wifes 06 with a 12 and I am buying a 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey with Premium and Bose packages with 27K for $23900 from a private seller, I will have to rent qa car one way drop off to pick it up. We will go to my bank. I will draw a check for the amount in cash or cashiers check, go to DMV pay the $300 sales tax ( Love SC) and drive it home.

If a vehicle is priced right it WILL sell fast, NEVER trade a Tacoma or Rav 4. There are always people looking for these cars and dealers know it and price them high, My same Truck was priced at $23900 all over the net with over 60k miles!!!

The Infiniti will be a tougher sale in a few years but I am figuring $1500 a year depreciation on 4500 miles a year, Maybe I will get $18,000 on a loaded 2010 EX35 with 40K miles. I will buy a short term warranty to sweeten the deal at that time.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Anybody that would offer to buy a 14 year old car without a test drive has scam on his mind. Craigslist is full of them.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    mustang24fanmustang24fan Member Posts: 51
    edited September 2014
    Question for the sale gurus out here. I am selling my car to a private buyer who is planning on taking it out of state to sell it for profit. I don't have any issue with that (good for him), but he wants me to leave the buyer name empty on the Title. Plus, on the Bill of Sales and Liability Release form (California), he wants me to enter 'As-Is' in the sales price field?
    Not sure if that is legal and if I could get in trouble for it. He is paying cash, so I am not worried about the payment. Going to meet him at my bank to deposit the money (it's a big chunk, so I want to make sure the money is real ;-) ).
    Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

EDIT:
    He now wants me to put some consignment warehouse in Texas on the Release and Bill of sales.
    Is that kosher?
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

Question for the sale gurus out here. I am selling my car to a private buyer who is planning on taking it out of state to sell it for profit. I don't have any issue with that (good for him), but he wants me to leave the buyer name empty on the Title. Plus, on the Bill of Sales and Liability Release form (California), he wants me to enter 'As-Is' in the sales price field?
    Not sure if that is legal and if I could get in trouble for it. He is paying cash, so I am not worried about the payment. Going to meet him at my bank to deposit the money (it's a big chunk, so I want to make sure the money is real ;-) ).
    Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

EDIT:
    He now wants me to put some consignment warehouse in Texas on the Release and Bill of sales.
    Is that kosher?

I really don't know, but this sounds fishy to me also, think I would pass on anything I wasn't comfortable with on the paperwork

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No, jumping title and not filling in the liability release form is not a good idea for you. Your license plates go with the car, so if Whoever racks up tickets or commits a crime guess who is responsible for explaining all that? You. There is no reason why he cannot be listed as the buyer with his address. If he wants to declare some crazy address to you, that's his business. But get his real name, and his driver's license number. You HAVE to know who this person really is.

As for the sales tax business, you have to put a number in, so the two of you should work out that number and then stick to that story.

What he's doing to avoiding paying sales tax in his state, ( a sizable tax dodge for him) and he's not going to register the car in his name either. He's a "curbstoner", that is, not a licensed dealer.

I would play this as straight as the rules suggest. His profit margins are not your problem.
  • Options
    mustang24fanmustang24fan Member Posts: 51
    Thanks guys, very helpful. I guess I will stay away from this buyer.