Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I am looking to replace the P195-65-R15 H Michelin MXV-4's on my 98 Accord and am considereing the Goodyear Eagle RS-A. I live in Eastern MA and need snow traction and want sharper handling than what the Michelins seem to provide. I do mainly highway miles but spend quite a bit of time on the backroads of ME and NH in the summer.

Local tire place suggested D60A2 which I have had in the past but the snow performance was marginal IIRC. I am considering the RS-A as most state troopers and local police seem to run them.

Any input would be helpful.
  • brucer2brucer2 Member Posts: 157
    I had the Michelin MXV-4's on a previous (Stanza) car and thought they had a good ride, but not a great performance tire. On my current car (Maxima) I very recently put on Michelin Pilot XGT-H4's. One of the major reasons for choosing this tire was that it had the best snow rating (on the Tirerack site) for high performance all season tires. The handling, so far, is quite good, and better than the MXV-4. It is also quiet on the highway. From comments that I've read from people that have used both the Michelin (XGT-H4) and the Goodyear, the Michelins were much better.
    Those of you living in or close to NY may be interested in Edmunds.com's NY editor contest.

Drew
    Host
  • vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    I also have the mic xgt h4 on my galant. The performance is better then the tires that came stock on the vehicle-g/y eagle LS. I live in the snow belt in NY & the mich handles pretty well in snow/slush. If you haven't done so, visit tirerack.com & read comments & reviews about the tire you want.
  • cieszynskicieszynski Member Posts: 12
    I own a 98 Eddie Bauer 4 Dr. Explorer, 5.0 V8.
    It now has the original Firestone Wilderness AT tires, size 255x70R16's. I have had no problem with them (31,000 Miles) to date as I always check tire pressure every couple of weeks. Usually 33 PSI. Wear has been good but I now want to replace them with a more Highway/Performance Tire. No off-roading for me.
    Any suggestions? I was thinking Michelin's new CrossTerrain; LTX; Toyo Proxes S/T, or???? Does the "tire guy" have any suggestions. I belong to both Sam's Club and Costco here in Marietta, GA.
    Some brands don't come in 255/70, only 265/70. Any problems with this size??? I would also like to increase load carrying capacity. Wilderness ATs
    have l09 Code (2,27l lbs at Max Inflation). Is this possible without compromising smoother ride, handling, improved braking - wet&dry??? All in all I love this Explorer - so far.
  • ghtrapghtrap Member Posts: 26
    cieszynski,

I wouldn't change size - the diameter difference in the tires you stated will affect the speedometer and odometer.

By all means, for non-offroad use, consider Michelin LTX M/S. I've had those on two Explorers now (including MY 1998), and wouldn't consider anything else. I don't know about the new Cross-Terrain SUV tire, but they are probably OK also. Look at the tread difference between it and the LTX M/S at your Michelin store and make your choice.

I didn't even put 16,000 miles on the Firestones on my '98 before I bailed out and put on my trusty LTX M/S - and never looked back I'm so glad I did.

Many, many people have raved about the LTX M/S, not just me. It's been out for quite a few years and it's time proven.

Good luck
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    so I think I'll wake up this place with a few opinions (not like anyone's gonna object):

CIESZYNSKI - Going to 265 wide tires won't hurt anything. It might cause a little rubbing on sharp turns so you might want to take a minute and test your current tires to see how close they come to suspension components and wheel wells. I went from 245 to 265 on an SUV and had no problems but that was not a Exploder.
    Regarding brands, people rave about the Mich LTX M/S so I'm sure it's a goodie. The new Cross Terrain is hard to tell since it's new (duh) but my feeling is that it's more of a street tire that anything else, regardless of its name. Look closely at treadwear ratings and load ratings for your size - obviously you'll want to check to see if the Cross Terrain comes in 265/70-16. The Toyo is a high performance tire for the street. It comes in huge sizes for people who are adding 19" custom wheels or the like. On stock wheels they may look a little dorky. But your not gonna find Michelin making a Light Truck tire in something like 275/45-19 or whatever.

ROBR2 - I think your best bet is to go with two sets of tires for your Accord - snowies and performance models mounted on two sets of wheels. What your asking is quite a contradiction; better handling and good snow traction. You can "experiment" with the XGTV4 or the RS-A's but I can't imagine either giving 'good' snow traction even if the cops use the RS-A's. Have you talked to people who work at the local tire joints to see what they know? Maybe call Tire Rack since they put alot of energy into bad weather tire evaluations.

RIO3 - See above as the same applies to you. Good luck in proving the contradiction.

CAMRYFAN - Check out Consumer Reports first. They ran a tire article last year and tested your exact size, 195/70-14. The liked the Pirelli P400 Touring, the Yokohama Aegis, the BFG Control T/A, and models from Kelly-Springfield and Cooper. The Michelin Rainforce MX4 finished mid-pack. The Goodyear Regatta 2 got very good scores for winter use but finished rather low.

EBRIED - Did you go to Wheel Warehouse and ask? Your questions are real specific and I don't think anyone in here can answer accurately, especially regarding wheel well contact. There are zillions of desert off-road joints in So Cal especially in Riverside Co and Orange Co. You live in the best place in the nation for these issues.

HB396 - For years I've used Eagle One Concours tire dressing but now it's called Satin Finish Tire Shine. Right now I'm using Pinnacle tire lotion/dressing which is terrific. Whatever you buy make sure it has NO silicone as it attacks rubber. Besides, that high gloss shine looks totally fake.

DSHEN - General Touring A/S? I can't find a thing on it. Could be a private label for America's Tire, or they could have bought a bunch of private label overstocks from someone like Costco, WalMart, etc. If you're not sure don't buy them.

Whew! I feel relieved after all this opinionatin'. Who else needs a dose of BretFraz?
  • bchaubchau Member Posts: 8
    Black Magic used to last me ~2 months, Currently I am using Eagle1 and it doesn't last that long. For best result, albeit more work, is to take out the tires and lay them flat, then spray on the stuff and let it settle overnight. This way it goes on more evenly. Go to home depot and buy one of those plastic signs and trim out for a cover for the wheel. This way you can spray at will without worrying getting the stuff on your shinny wheel.
    I know that dedicated snows would be best, but I'm considering trading it soon and don't want to make the investment. I know there are concessions you have to make on tires - I was hoping to get a good balance. The MXV4's aren't terrible, the dry/snow handling was pretty good, but I didn't seem to get the life out of them. I only have 35K on them and the tread is pretty low. Overall performance is now marginal. I've kept them rotated and at appropriate pressure. Just disappointed with them. FYI, I once got 48K out of set of Eagle Gatorbacks on my old Daytona Shelby Z and ran those through 3 New England winters.

My last Accord came with MXV3's which were pretty good in the snow and handled fairly well. I replaced them with Pirelli P6's which were just as good. Neither is made any longer.

As for the RS-A's - fuhgetaboutit. The local Goodyear store quoted me almost $180 each without mounting/balancing/stem/tax!!! For that much coin, I could get dedicated snows.

Well, back to the drawing board.
  • cieszynskicieszynski Member Posts: 12
    GHTRAP: Thanks for the info. I've decided to buy the Michelon Cross Terrain Tires in lieu of the LTX. Found them at Big 10 here in Marietta for $735.00 for four out the door, mounted, etc... Went to COSTCO and they are $575.00 for set of 4 which includes mounting, balancing, road hazard insurance, and lifetime re-balancing. Compared them to the LTXs and decided to get the Cross Terrains. Wear is: 540.... I'll keep all posted on how they perform. Getting them this weekend.
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    I'll need new tires for my Accord soon, and I want to find out what replacement tires people have been happy with. I need all-season, as we get snow in the winter. I'd like quiet tires, but also want good traction and handling. In case it matters, my current size is 205/65-15. Thanks.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    User surveys are available at Tirerack site. For all-season, high performance (i.e. good traction) tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/hpas.jsp

Bought the Firestone Firehawk SH-30 the last summer for my Chevy Malibu after reading the Tirerack info. Used them through this winter, with a lot of snowstorms and rainfalls, on hilly Connecticut roads.

In my experience, the tires are good in snow, very good in dry weather, and outstanding in rain. Excellent traction / cornering. Not noisy. More stiff than touring tires, but not too stiff for me.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/firestone/fs_sh30.jsp

• brucer2brucer2 Member Posts: 157
    I have a Maxima (that uses the same size tire) and not too long ago put on Michelin Pilot XGT-H4s. A large part of my decission was based on their snow rating on the Tirerack site. I find the tire to have a very good ride and be pretty quiet. I never got a chance to try them out in "real" snow, but they are excellent in the wet. The dry handling is very good.
    BTW, I went to a 215/60-15 with these tires, and if your rim is 6.5" wide I would recommend this size for better handling. Also, if you belong to Costco, they can order them for you for $94, which is the same price as Tirerack.
  • 98monte_ls98monte_ls Member Posts: 117
    The Camaro V6 comes with Eagle GA, 235/55x16 and I'll be ordering the performance handling pkg Y87.

do you think I should go to RS-A tires or keep the GA?

I like the goodyear line - never had a problem with GAs on my other car. But I'm wondering what the improvement will be in the RSA over the GA. What's the difference?

bruce
    The Eagle GA is an all-round touring tire meant to do most things well, but not a performance tire. The GA speed ratings are S & T and they come in sizes from 14" to 16". Perfect for cars like V6 Camrys, Accords, Taurus - cars that can use a step-up from the normal all-season radial but not need performance.

The RS-A is an all-season performance tire. It comes in sizes up to 17" and speed ratings H & V. It's designed to do what th GA can do plus add performance handling.

In between (sort of) is the Eagle LS. This is a tire that's more luxury than sport. It comes speed rated to H & V and sizes to 17" but is designed for a quiet ride. Perfect for cars like Lincoln LS, Caddy Seville, Mazda Millenia, Lexus GS300, etc.
  • 98monte_ls98monte_ls Member Posts: 117
    If I change the factory GAs to RSA what will that do to my ride quality/handling? does it give a harder ride?

also, does the RSA have as long a mileage rating?
    I recently looked at them and was advised by Goodyear store that they are probably good for 40K. After being quoted over $170 each, I decided to look at something else.
  • vguardvguard Member Posts: 78
    I just read through this entire thread and had all my questions answered by doing nothing but reading the posts by "tireguy".

I notice he has not posted since November 2000, so I am assuming he has been busy with his USMC duties.

Just wanted to say how much I appreciated the fact he took the time to answer so many peoples questions. The posts that pertained to my situation were copied and placed in my "auto file" here at home.

THANKS AGAIN "TIREGUY"....

"vguard"
    Ford E-150 2000 Econoline Passenger Wagon
    Factory Installed Michelin LTX M/S (P235/75R15)
    *plan to maintain exact brand/type and size for
    as long as I own this van. (although I might consider
    Sam's "X-Radial LT" alternative Michelin).
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    Just as a question. Is there any advantage to putting on bigger wheels and lower profile tires on your car. Lets say you bought your car with 15's and decided you wanted 17's or 18's. I know low profile tires will be necessary and they will cost a lot more. But will they last? And are they better. On my 4x4 bigger was better. But I wasn't as interested in looks.
  • namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    As with anything else there are pluses and minuses to this. Lower profile tires on a larger rim generally allow you to use a wider tire yet still retain the correct diameter. Wider lower profile tires will generally improve the handling but will give a harsher ride. The shorter sidewall flexes less. The downside is stiffer ride, easier to damage the rims when you hit potholes. Tire wear will depend on the tires. In many cases people will use higer performance tires for handling which tend to have a shorter thread life.
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    That was about what I expected. I think I might go to a bit larger but not to excess. Seems by the time you get to 17 inch rims the tires jump in price quite a bit. 18 inch rims take tires that are two to three times more expansive. I plan on keeping the stock tires for winter use anyway. Mountain roads, where I live, are far less likely to have the debris they have in the winter. I like the idea of a wider tire because of the handling and the bigger rims just look so nice in the wheel wells. From what I understand a 205 X 40 X 16 is close in size to a 215 x 35 x 17. That would be about 4 inches wider than my stock tire, 185 x 65 x15.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Hi all, jumping in here for some input (Hi Drew! I'm expanding...no, not literally).

I'm needing new tires for my '96 Volvo 854Turbo, and have almost decided to buy either a set of (205/55ZR16) Yokohama AVS db's, or the 'Lops. I can't believe I'm even considering a "compromise" tire such as the "db" but from what I read at tirerack.com, it looks to be a great tire. Anyone have experience w/ either of these models that can give me an opinion; good/bad/ugly? My objectives are to have a quiet/gripping tire, and I don't need snow performance (snow tires for winter), rain performance a little. The car currently has some spent Mich Pilot XGT Z4s and I'm thoroughly unhappy w/ their noise levels, life (lack of) and grip (lack of).

tx in advance!

--javadoc
    Hi javadoc, nice to see you in here too :-)

Drew
    Host
  • ke4yydke4yyd Member Posts: 30
    A few days ago I purchased a set of Michelin Radial Plus XSE from Sam's. Later checking at the Michelin web page I could not find that model listed. I am thinking Michelin must provide a private label for Sam's. What are these tires equivalent to? They have a 700 tread ware rating and are guaranteed for 88,000 miles. Will warranted be covered at any Michelin dealer or only at Sams.

David
    Yesterday I punctured One of my tires on my Ford Escape and ruined one of the tires. I was in a remote area and was lucky there was a small tire shop nearby. I purchased a Regul Trailblazer 235-7-16 to replace the bad Firestone HT 235-70-16. I was going to buy a pair (always been told to use the same brand/type tire on the same axle) but opted out when I noticed the temperature rating was a "C". I got one thinking it would get me by until I could get to the "city" and have better choices. I have been thinking about replacing with a pair of Michelin Cross Terrain of a pair of Dunlop Radial Rover. My question now was I overly concerned about the "C" temperature rating. The tires on the Escape are an over kill as far as load capacity and there would never be a chance of coming within 1000 lbs of the load capacity of the tires. Should I just get another matching Regul? I really dislike the Firestone HT.

David
  • sybelesybele Member Posts: 42
    What's the best 17's all season tire?
  • tireguy2tireguy2 Member Posts: 2
    Take a look at Pirelli's new Scorpion S/T. The tire is original equipment on Land Rover Discovery and provides a nice blend of performance and comfort with an H speed rating.
    It is versatile, quiet and carries a 50,000 mile warranty.
  • tireguy2tireguy2 Member Posts: 2
    For anyone interested in plus sizing, Pirelli has a wealth of information listed on their web site at www.us.pirelli.com. click on "TIRES" then "USA" and then select "University of Tires". You will see what I mean when you get there.

I use the Pirelli web or I just contact them direct at 1 800 327-2442 between the hours of 8AM to 5PM EST Monday through Friday for plus sizing information and general fitmet questions.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    Does not compute! 17" tires and all season tread/construction are contradictions.

17" tires and larger are almost soley the relm of high performance rubber. Why do you want to compromise your high performance vehicle with all season tires?

The obvious answer I would venture would be because you need to drive your vehicle in less than high performance (dry road) conditions. So you need a compromise tire.

You need to tell us more about the road conditions, the vehicle and the driving style you want to get tire suggestions for.
  • vezinivezini Member Posts: 38
    I would appreciate some advice. I am looking at purchasing a set of BF Goodrich Advantage Plus tires from Sam's Club. Or, I may purchase Goodyear Regatta II's from a Goodyear dealer. Sam's is over $100 less.

Are the BF Goodrich tires equivalent with the Goodyear? Both have the same wear, traction, and temperature ratings.
    Well, first thing I'd do is shop that Regatta2 price. Unless the BFG's are on closeout you should be able to get them priced close to each other.

I think the Advantage Plus is comparable to the Control T/A M65 or M80 (diff is mileage warranty). I've seen reports that the Regatta2 is very good in snow (if that's a factor) but my thinking is that both tires are comparable and it may be a toss up depending on your car, use, road conditions, expectations, etc. etc.
  • cp4hcp4h Member Posts: 18
    Anybody knows anything about Michelin Weatherwise tires sold at Sears Canada ? Are they equivalent to any regular Michelin models ?
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    hey people, ive got the goodyears on my jetta and have heard that they wear prematurely and have probems, those of you who have them, what do you all think of them? those of you who have them, in 15" size, do they lose air fast? how long do they last? has anyone had any problems with them? also, i'm wondering, if something is wrong with mine and they need to get replaced, could I get goodyear to let me get more expensive tire and id pay the difference in price, or could i get them to give me the money that the tires cost so that i could get another brand of tires
    Very dull turn in response. So-so lateral grip and wore out in half the time as Michelins X-ones(only 23,000 miles). Also not as good in snow.

Someone who did strictly highway miles got 50K+ miles out of a set but that sounds unusual.
    bretfaz and yurakm:

Thank you for the information on the tires. If the prices were equal I would probably purchase the Regatta II's; due to the snow traction. I am however, leaning toward the Advantage Plus, because of the large price difference.

Thanks again!
    The Eagle LS is more of a "luxury touring" tire, not a sport tire. I posted some info on it recently in here if you want a little more detail.

I've never heard of people having problems with the tire but some have said they do wear sooner than they expected.

Will Goodyear allow you to upgrade? I don't know. But your car came with a separate tire warranty from Goodyear (it's in your owners manual packet). I've read some of their warranty info and I believe there's a Pro-Rated clause in their warranty. But it's got to be covered under the mfr's warranty, not "I don't like these tires so give me a credit towards new ones".

What does the warranty say about tread life?

If it were me, I'd take care of them till they were worn out, then cross the bridge to new tires when I got to it.
    Have you considered the BFGoodrich Control T/A M65 tires? I've had them installed a few months ago and have been very happy with their performance in all conditions. The increase in traction in the snow/ice was astounding over my last tires. I chose them based on their well rounded (though not the absolute best; they were ranked 3rd) scores in Consumer Reports' tests.

I did consider the Goodyear Regettas too, but only for a brief moment. I wasn't impressed by the customers' feedback, nor what C.R said about them. The BFG tires were only marginally more expensive, and seem to be worth it, IMHO.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    drew, what tires did you replace with the BFGoodrich Control T/A M65 tires? What car did you install them on? I'm still weighing my options for new tires for my V6 Accord.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    The tire Gods strike!!!! Not one hour after I put my brand new sticky Yokohama AVS's on my car last night and what happens? I'll tell ya, the skies open up and drop 3" of "white fluffy rain" right down on my fair city. How's that for a sense of humor from the "Big Guy?" Forcast was for clouds, temps in the 40s, but whoops...

--javadoc
    at tirerack.com but came up empty (quick look).
    Any comments on the Goodyear Allegra? Sam's Club carries the tire; and it appears to have the same performance and warranty characteristics of the Regatta 2.

Also, any comments on Sam's warranty?
    Right here at Tire Rack, along with all the other BFG models they carry:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bfg/bfg.htm

• j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    Does anyone have a set of Pirelli P3000 tires? I just put a set on my '96 Saturn SL (175/70R-14), and they are pretty noisy. There is no vibration, but around 45 mph and above 60 mph they kind of hum, like a large truck or SUV tire. I don't know if it's because the tread is so deep on the tires or what. The Firestone FR680 tires that I replaced were pretty bald and didn't make any noise. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks.
    I had a pair of older Pirellis on before the BFGoodrich tires. They were great when new, but not so good after. I was about ready to replace them with the Pirelli P4000 Tourings, which are Consumer Reports' top rated all-season tires. However, the BFG's won me over because of their more well-rounded performance. I was willing to give up some dry weather handling (it is a minivan afterall :-)) for better wet and snow/ice performance. BTW, the "65" in "M65" means that they have some sort of 65K warranty, I believe.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bfg/bf_control_ta65.jsp

If I was looking for higher performance all-season touring tires, I would go for the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires. Again, on of the top rated C.R. tires with quite good snow performance. They're a bit pricey though.

Drew
    Host
  • namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    I use Pirelli on my vehicles. Yes some models are noisy but in my opinion the decent traction you get outway the noise.

I use Scorpion Zeros on my truck and P6000 and my car and I love them. I have tried Mich MXV4 and hated them. Had lousy dry handling and squealed like a pig in corners. Goodyears no better. Over the years uses P77, P500 and like them all.

Pirelli is also a bargain compared to the others as they don't spend half their gross sales on advertizing.
    The MXV4 is a lower grade, older tire than the MXV4 Plus.

Drew
    Host
    Will some of the experts please read post 324 and 325 and reply.
    From what I could dig up, Regul is a private-label brand distributed by the Heafner Tire Group, one of the largest wheel/tire distributors in the nation. Heafner sells mostly to the small independent shops. They carry 18 tire lines like Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli along with other less known names like Lee and Gillette. Heafner is an interesting company in that they retail as well. Looks like they own Winston Tire Company (folks in CA & AZ know them). They're also actively buying out or merging with other retailers and distributors.

Can't tell you much more about Regul. If you want to replace the Firestones, I'd replace all four. The Michelin's at Sam's will be great for your truck.

Went to Sam's website for info on the XSE's but no luck. You'll prolly have to talk to a manager there to get some inside info. But Michelin and others do offer Sam's private labelling on tires. For example, the Michelin X Radial Plus is pretty much the same tire as the X-One. And the XC LT4 is very similar to the LTX M/S. Different model numbers are used to protect other dealers from being cross-shopped and they give Sam's an exclusive product.

BTW, I'm not an expert. Hopefully one will post more accurate replies to your questions.