Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Noticed a motorcycle coming toward me yesterday with headlamp on for "DRL" and the headlight seemed to be modulated at a fairly low frequency rate.

Does anyone know for sure at what rate and the percent of modulation and is this legal?

Sure gets one's attention!
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    We have a 2000 RX 300 with 47000 miles that has been services on time every time. The check engine light came on yesterday while my wife was driving. All fluids and temps were fine and it just about ready to get a oil change. I am taking it in tomorrow i expect it may be some sensor of some kind has anyone else ran across this and if so how much do you think it will cost. Thanks for your help... Matt
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Most likely someone didn't tighten the gas cap That happened to me a couple of times. Or the charcol "filter"(?) is bad. That went out on mine at about 75,000 miles. They paid for the part and I paid for the labor.
    After they plugged it in they said it was the AIR FLOW METER shortage to a tune of $275.00 ($175.00 parts)$50.00 labor $50.00 Dig fee. Does this sound right has anyone came across this problem on a 2000 with only 47,000 miles. It runs fine and has not shown any signs of trouble up to the Check Engine Light coming on. Thanks for all your input... Matt
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Why isn't this under warranty? Often states have required longer warranties for exhaust/smog components.
    I told them that i would get back to them and brought it home. I looked in the manual and it says that some are covered up to 8 years or 80,000 but if i read it right it is at 4 years or 50,000 miles where i miss on the year part by 6 months. If it had the California emission it would be covered for 7 years or 70,000. I will call the lexus dealer in the am. I had it a Toyota dealer that is closer to home. Thanks for your input...... Matt
  • jguojguo Member Posts: 49
    Is this the mass air flow meter? Call around to see if you can get the part cheaper from other Lexus or Toyota dealer. The installation is very easy. It's right next to the air filter box. Only need a simple screw driver, 5 minutes job tops.
    Yes it is, I am going to look around and a friend said the same that it was a easy installation. Thanks... Matt
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I've been looking forever for a double-wide armrest for my wife's RX300 with no luck. It seems now that I have found the PERFECT product... BUT for the PT cruiser.

Here's a link to the pic of what I'm looking for:

http://www.jjproducts.net/PTCruiser/CenterArmrest.html

Does anyone know if there is a "Lexus" version of this anywhere out there? Those little folding thingies on the RX are my only gripe about the vehicle.
    I bought my first car in 1961, a 1956 Ford. In all of the intervening time I have never changed out automatic transmission fluid as a maintenance matter. Typically drove cars over 100k miles with no indication of problems.

This past weekend I did an oil and filter change on my 01 AWD RX300, 38k miles. In doing so I checked the transmission fluid, look and smell. Not normal red, more brownish, and smelled slightly burned.

The RX has the trailer towing package, extra transmission fluid cooling heat exchanger, and NO trailer hitch.

Just to cross-check, the 92 LS at 94k miles still has normal look and smell of transmission fluid.

Is the RX torque convertor undersized for the load rating??
    Glad i waited I called the LEXUS dealer to see if it was under warranty and it was not. He suggested to pull the part located on the top of the air cleaner box and spray some brake clean on it and then high pressure air over it and then pull two fuses and wait two minutes. I did notice it had some black fuzz on it prior to cleaning it. After a total of 15 minutes and $3.29 for a bottle of brake clean .... POOF all fixed and no light. Top it off money in the bag saved. Thanks for all the suggestions it helped..... Matt
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I am starting to notice the same thing with my 2001 with 60,000 on it. I am certainly not one in favor of unnecessary fluid changes. But I think I will pick up 5 quarts if Toyota Type IV trans fluid and do a drain, just to be safe.
    RX owner said he had recieved an owners manual update from Lexus indicating that for the 4 speed and 5 speed transmissions fluid needed to be drained, flushed, and replenished every 15k.

Anyone else get the update? I didn't.
  • travelgirlsjtravelgirlsj Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at purchasing a 1999 Lexus RX300 - 68,500 miles, very clean, previous owner known to me, this car has all features and then some. It's been a leased vehicle, driven by a stay-at-home mom to take the kids around, etc. The owner originally leased it and the buyout is $15,000. Is Lexus reliable enough to go another 70k with standard maintenance & care? Anyone else out there buy used w/hi mileage?
    Thats not bad for a 1999 is that AWD or 2WD thats about 12,000k per year. We purchased a 2000Rx300 with the upgraded stereo and fully loaded. This was a lease return with 38,000 last year for $24,000.00 prior to that we had a 1990 Toyota 4runner and put over 200,000 miles with out any major problems. They are made to last the 1999 did have a couple of issues that were minor that i cant remember you may want to do a search just to check it out. Good luck
  • wayne1wayne1 Member Posts: 6
    I did't get any update for my 2000 RX with 25,000 miles.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Just received one from irontoad.com. Now only a usurious $16.32 net, paid $21.15 last time! Meanwhile the Purolator® version is still "not available - availability to be announced", according to their website.

Pete
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Whenever you change the fluid, be carefull not to overfill it. it holds about 3.2-3.5 quarts. You need a 10mm allen wrench. The best thing is to buy 7 quarts and change it twice in about 3 months apart.
    When we bought our 01 RX with 58K miles, the belt was squeaky at start up then it got better as the engine warmed up. I occasionally hear other RX's in parking lots with this squeaky belt noise.

So I replaced the Alt belt with a Dayco belt , and the noise completely stopped. Now after two months it is back again. I can't figure out what it is. My 96 Camry with a similar engine is amazingly quite, and it is always smooth. Its 8 year old belt never made any noise. I replaced Camry's belt due to its age only.

What is going on with RX's engine? It is very annoying to see the car pulling in the garage with squeaky/growling engine.

As soon as I spray silicone on the pully it stops. I know lubricant on belts/pully is not a good idea. That is only a good tool to see if the noise is from the belt or it is from Alt or AC compressor. I have no problem with replacing the belt again with another brand if someone things it helps.

Thanks,
    Joe
    I haven't experienced the problem but I don't think spray silicone is the answer. An aerosol product known as "belt dressing" might help. Permatex® is one brand:

Permatex® Belt Dressing

Pete
    The J.D. Power and Associates 2004 Vehicle Dependability Studysm released yesterday rates Lexus highest for the 10th consecutive year. The RX300 was awarded "Most Dependable Entry Luxury Sport Utility Vehicle":

VDS Winners

Pete
  • ke2feke2fe Member Posts: 37
    If you did not get the "official Lexus diagnosis",how would you know the maf was malfunctioning? The brake clean method of cleaning sure beats the big replacement cost.
    Gotta agree... almost 30K miles with absolutely NO ISSUES at all.

I just wish upon a star for a full center armrest (wife could care less though). :)
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    I have a problem that I would appreciate some comments on. I have a '00 AWD with 70K miles and of late, when I turn the wheel while backing out of a space or making a turn , I hear this fairly loud creaking or grating noise coming from the wheel or the steering column. Any thoughts? FWIW, I do not have any other problem.
    I had a similar squeak/squeal when I first got the vehicle (okay, so the RX hasn't been %100 problem free but 99.9999% :)

It should be an easy fix if its the same thing.
    Check out message #6738 for full details.

Good luck!
  • 02electronblue02electronblue Member Posts: 22
    My 01 AWD has a squeaky belt occasionally during cold start up. It's intermittent, but annoying (I hate to fire it up in the parking garage at work for fear that bystanders going to their Hyundais will laugh at me!).

If there's something special that needs to be done, please let us know. Thanks
    See Message #8223.

Pete
    Had a squeak, unlike message #6738's solution (lube steering wheel cable), which I suggested; my Toyota® tech "lubed lower steering shaft" earlier today. It was explained to me that they needed to slide off the rubber boot and then grease the small U-type joint found within. Seems to have eliminated the squeak previously encountered mostly on full-lock turns.

Pete
    The new belt should not require belt dressing to be quiet, and exactly how long will this belt dressing last?

There must be something in the pully alignmnet that causes belt glazing. I still do not understand why Lexus could not uses single serpentine belt with auto belt tensioner like most low tech cars/trucks use these days. I will try a more expensive Goodyear belt to see if it will make a difference.

Joe
  • purpchin4purpchin4 Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering whether to buy a used 2000 or 2001 model year. I see from this forum that the 2001 has the compass and coat hooks now but if I don't care about those 2 things, what else would I be getting vs the 2000 model? I would be giving up the leather interior and the sunroof between the 2 models currently. I could get leather and heated seats in the 2000 model for the same money. Both would come with the 100,000 mile warranty and both have between 39-46K in miles. Price difference is about $1000 dollars. So which should I choose?
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    You also get a larger gas tank and each year they fixed some of the minor issues like rattles. I would go for the 2001 if its that close. I have a 99 and I wish I had the larger tank. I usually only get to use around 12 gallons before the light goes off. I believe they fixed some connectors in the dash for 2001 to avoid rattles and the glovebox rattle went away about that time. There are fixes for previous model years but it may not be worth the hassle.
  • pdswaypdsway Member Posts: 14
    Hi all...

My 2000 RX300 just passed 90k and was serviced by Lexus dealer with mixed results. $1190 later here's the summary...

WHAT I LIKED:
    - Quality work: timing belt replaced, all belts, all fluids, filters, tires rotate/bal, lube steering wheel and antenna, replace 3rd brake light, make a C-Best prog change. Car drives like new again (almost).
    - Parts replaced free under Lexus Plat Warranty. Due to my list of complaints, they replaced front struts and seatbelt retractors.
    - Provided rental car for length of service.

WHAT I DIDNT LIKE:
    - Cost: $1190 is after 10% off and after I spoke to manager about their ridiculous inflated prices. Plus I was also told on 2 prev occasions the 90k service was more like $800-900 (now $1300-1400).
    - 2 things not really fixed. The seat-belt issue is that they dont retract properly and rattle (passenger). They replaced retractors but doesnt fix problem (communication breakdown). I still have front-end "noise" when I turn on an uneven surface or bump. Its like a rattle or creak noise. She said new struts would fix that, which did help, however I noticed it today when turning then hitting a driveway.

Generally I'm happy, even at $1190. I used the dealer cause a) this is the most serious service and b) my ext. warranty runs out at 100k so its now or never to get warranty work done and the dealer seems to get whatever they ask for. All in all I've had about $5000 worth of work done under that warranty which cost me $1100 so worth it.

On the other hand, it kinda sux that I've needed all this work in the relatively short life of the car, 4.5 years and 90k miles. Had brakes done earlier in the year and tires last year, man it adds up! I can only hope I get another reliable 4 years now.

One weird thing about the steering noise issue... She mentioned that Lexus will have a TSB coming soon about this and to call back in a couple months to get something in the steering linkage fixed.

PDS
  • glassbudglassbud Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 RX that in the last 6 months has seriously developed acceleration problems. The car has only 25,000 miles on it, and has been to the dealership twice for this complaint. (The dealer has found no problem...). I use only premium gas in the car, have put in a few bottles of GUMOUT to clean the fuel injectors, had the dealer change the air filter etc. The car goes from 0-60 mph in 18 or 19 seconds from a dead stop. In trying to pass someone on the highway, the car seems to "fight" against accelerating... Any ideas or comments would be appreciated...
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Have you noticed any change in transmission shifting points, compared to when the car was normal? In addition, when at highway trying to pass someone, did the car down shift in a normal way?
    Jiamin, thanks for responding to my post. I have not noticed any change in shifting points, in fact the changes occur almost exactly as they did when the car was brand new. It just takes alot longer for the rpm's to get to the appropriate level for the automatic transmission to shift. Additionally, if i put my foot down hard on the pedal (in an attempt to pass someone on the highway), the car will downshift but really lags especially in the 40-60 mph range. What do you think about changing the spark plugs next??
    You just reminded me of my very old used Buick Skylark long time ago. It became very slow and was finally found two spark plug cable were bad. It had only two cylinders working. Do you feel your car runs rougher than before? Could it be some faulty fuel injector(s)? Anything

With such a low mileage car it's rare to have spark plug and its related problem.
    And your fuel economy has improved??

Sounds like the system may be locked in snow mode somehow.....
    Yes I forgot the "snow" mode which will slow the car. However if 0-60 MPH takes 18 to 19 seconds, I'm not sure if it's caused by that.

Also not sure if "snow" mode will slow the downshift, except down to 1st gear.
    So, in listening to all of your advice, I went and switched the transmission setting switch from regular to snow and also power modes. I conducted a very scientific study where I timed 0-60 again( from a stop on a flat surface), in each of the three modes. There was absolutely no difference in times (again approx 18-19 seconds) in either the regular or power settings. The snow mode was noticeably "heavier" and slower to accelerate. I would think that at least in the power setting, it should be a little better. I also tried it with the AC on and off... no difference... I'm at a loss. The dealer says the car is fine. It has never taken almost 20 seconds to go from 0-60 since the day I bought the car...
  • bobfloydbobfloyd Member Posts: 32
    Bought Lexus Platinum Service Agreement (Extended Warranty)for my 2000 RX300. I note the following provision: You must have your vehicle serviced as recommended by the manufacturer as provided in the Manufacturer's Owners Manual Supplement and or Guide, inclded but not limited to: 1) Change engine oil and filter, 2) check and maintain all fluid levels, 3) service automatic transmission, 4) inspect front suspension and steering linkage, 5) inspect drive axle boots.
     Now the Owners Manual Supplement lists a whole bunch of INSPECTIONS for which I assume the dealer will charge substantially (one item listed is automatic transmission, transfer case and differential oil). At past maintenance intervals, I have not so far had anything inspected by the dealer - just oil changed, oil, engine air and AC filters changed and tires rotated. The Lexus Maintenance Supplement also lists at 30k replace engine coolant and brake fluid.
     Would appreciate comments from anyone having a Platinum warranty about what they have done to comply with the owner responsibilities as I mentioned above. Also, any comments on replacement of engine coolant, brake fluid or transmission, transfer or differential oil at 30K would be helpful to me.
    Bob
    It is taking close to 20 seconds to get to 60mph and the dealer is telling you nothing is wrong??

Run to another dealership....FAST! Something is way out of wack with your car. My wife's '02 rx300 has great acceleration (never timed it though)and has the same mileage as yours.

I wouldn't have the foggiest clue as to what may be wrong but, 20 SECONDS to get to 60?!?!?!?!?

Something is VERY wrong with that vehicle! It almost sounds like the parking brake might be stuck in the "on" position!!!!

Good luck with the fix!!!
    you're stuck in!

Even a GS300 has a radically different 0-60 time in snow vs normal.
    Sounds like your not stuck in snow mode, being that when you ran your tests the car felt heavier in snow mode and was noticeably slower. I also doubt that it is the spark plugs. Spark plug failure usually causes the engine to misfire or run rougher. Plus you have low mileage for spark plug failure. Why not try disconnecting the battery. This will reset the computer. It's cheap and easy to try. If you still have the problem I would follow the advice in the post above and find another dealer or at least another RX for comparision.
    I don't have the Platnium warranty or use the dealer for anything but warranty work, but I do follow the owners manual recommended service (not the dealers). Well almost, I don't re-torque the driveshaft bolts anymore. In my opinion this is unnesessary. I have the antifreeze and brake fluid done every 30k. It doesn't cost that much as long as you stay away from the dealer. The owners manual claims the trans fluid is lifetime and shouldn't need changing. I was willing to go along with this, but at 60k mine looked a little dirty(maybe even burnt). So I opened the trans pan drain and got out 4 1/8 qts. I picked up 5 qts of T-IV at the Toyota dealer and put in some fresh fluid.
    Mike
    My dealer quote me for $655, and it includes auto transmission oild change plus loaded battery test. These two items are not factory listed ones so I asked if they remove these two items how much would be the cost. Still waiting for the reply. Maybe they are not interested any more.

Do you experts think it's a tipycal cost or way too high? I can check with Toyota's but if cost is not much different from Lexus' then I'd rather go to Lexus. BTY mine is 2WD.

TKS
    In all my years of driving automatic transmission vehicles, mostly Fords (first was a 56, purchased at Westside Ford in Seattle in 1961) I have NEVER changed out transmission fluid as a scheduled maintenance matter. Two of those Fords, a 68 and an 72 SW, were driven well over 200K miles, admittedly with transmission overhauls somewhere after 100k.

So I wasn't surprised to find that my 01 AWD RX doesn't recommend any scheduled maintenance fluid change out at all.

What did surprise me was the discoloration and slight burnt odor of the fluid when I checked it during the 38K oil change.

What??

My RX has the factory trailer towing package, includes extra fluid cooling heat exchanger in the right front fender well, and the hitch was removed and stored away the week I bought it. And it certainly hasn't endured anything I would refer to as rough service.

When I previously posted this news someone else came back and said they had received a letter from the factory indicating a transmission fluid drain was now recommended at each 15k mile interval.

Anyone else receive that notice?

So.

Is the RX series automatic transmission design not fully up to the task at hand?

It also occurs to me that there is a possibility that the extra heating provided by the VC in AWD models may not have been accounted for during the AWD design phase. The VC does heat to fairly extraordinary levels when it is asked to "work", but I have little doubt that the VC fluid itself can endure the extra heat. But is the hermetically sealed case that contains this fluid "cooled" by the transmission fluid? Or is there just too much heat transfer via the metal to metal mounting contact from the VC heat to the tranny fluid?

In the meantime I guess I'll drain and flush the fluid and install new. Also thinking seriously about adding an electric fan to force airflow through the fender well mounted fluid cooler. It's pretty obvious that there can be no really "free" flow of cooling air through this cooler, likely not even at hwy speeds.
    Posted in Toyota LC and Lexus LX forums.

LC & LX owners, HL and RX owners need your help. Many of these owners have posted complaints about the eardrum busting helicopter noise generated within the vehicle with a single rear window down and clipping along at hwy speeds.

From my own experience I know historically of this problem. My 68 and 72 Ford station wagons were subject to this effect but by simply lowering the rear liftgate glass slightly I could eliminate the effect.

I notice that the LC, and maybe the LX, have cabin airflow exhauster ports which are mounted above the "beltline", one on each side of your vehicles.

Do those exhauster ports and their "high mount" location allow enough cabin air outflow to prevent the helicopter sound in the LC and LX? Or are have you seen the same type of complaint?

For reference read:

Toyota Highlander Owners: Problems and solutions at post 1490 on...
  • kente2kente2 Member Posts: 12
    The dealer Lexus Kearny Mesa in San Diego recommends wheel alignment and balance with every oil change. Is the RX prone to wheel alignment issues?

The fee with oil change is $50. This seems a reasonable fee, althought I have never had a car require this frequent wheel maintenance?

Thank you for your thoughts.
    sounds way too frequent. I don't think any car requires that unless there is a problem.
    It sounds like your service advisor is trying to win the trip to Hawaii or whatever else the incentive is for over achieving,