Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Options
    cknottcknott Member Posts: 61
    Well folks, my "check" light below the TOD indicator box is flashing on occasion. This is in a 1999 Isuzu Trooper w/ 61k. It will flash 4~5 times in a row and then it will not blink for a while. Does anybody know how to read the codes? or know what typically causes 4~5 blinks of the red "check" light.

Thanks,

Chad
  • Options
    lovingpclovingpc Member Posts: 34
    Some moron scraped across my spare tire in the Lowe's parking lot yesterday. It's the painted cover on a '00 Trooper Ltd - Moonmist Grey Mica. The marks MIGHT come off - it looks like mostly black rubber - but I imagine a repaint might be needed for the scratches in the finish. A couple of thoughts though...

1. Any thoughts on replacing the spare with a matching alloy wheel? I found one at aaarims.com for $178 not including the center cap or lug nuts. I assume the spare would fit on this wheel, and that the wheel would mount on the door okay.

2. Should I call a body shop for an estimate on repainting the cover vs. ordering new? My dealer said the body shop would have to paint a new one to match anyway. The mark is right across the trooper lettering, with another big mark near the bottom of the tire.

3. Do you think if I'd caught the s.o.# that did this, that he would be alive to talk about it?

Thanks for any advice -

Drew
    Nashville TN
  • Options
    breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    I think the days of counting flashing lights are long gone. Instead with OBDII you have to have a code reader to pull the stored codes. That can be done at the dealer ($$$), a shop ($$), or at AutoZone for free. I assume they also have the code meanings. If not, try here - http://www.batauto.com/isuzu/iszuobd2.shtml

Also, I also think the flashing light is the "major" warning and the constant one more of a "minor" warning. Thus, you shouldn't let this go. No doubt if I am wrong someone will quickly jump in.

• Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    2. I wouldn't worry about the scrapes on the cover. If anything try meguiars wax/cleaner on it or maybe some touch up paint.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If it's the check TOD, I bet it's the speed sensors. I had this problem when I had 20K on my truck. As soon as the weather got chilly with some dew at night, the connections must have gotten corroded and bam check TOD light came on.

-mike
  • Options
    cwp2cwp2 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone attempted to change out the gears in the rear axle of a 2wd to get better mileage? Is this possible? I'm sure the warranty would go out the window, but increasing the gas mileage sure sounds like a good idea.
  • Options
    96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    I don't know if this has been posted before but I thought someone might read it: http://www.sbcsheriff.org/press_051502.html In short, a horrific head-on clash between a 2001 Trooper and 2000 Durango killed both drivers instantly. There was an Accord driving behind the Trooper at 50mph. When the two SUVs collided, they became airborne!! The Accord couldn't stop of course and went underneath the SUVs and its roof was damaged by one of the SUV tires. Simply amazing!
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Make sure that all 4 tires are the same size/pressure/wear pattern. If TOD senses a difference it sends a message. I believe Piasan has had this experience also from a previous post long ago.
  • Options
    I had bad speed sensors which setoff the Check TOD. But I had a whining noise that was a result of 1 tire having a different diameter (measured) than the other 3 tires. Even though the tire was the same size, tread and wear it was off by ~1/4" and this was enough to cause a minor whining.

-mike
  • Options
    boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    rubber marks remove with solvent carefully selected and tested on an out of the way spot to make sure it does not attach the paint.

Try a set of 235-85-16 tires for taller but not heavier for better MPG. Be sure not to get load range E those are for heavy trucks. A lighter load range will mean a lighter tire. Some tire stores can get tire weight information, you want a light tall skinny tire for max MPG.
  • Options
    I would not go narrower and taller. Narrower and taller is a rollover waiting to happen. At least if you go taller and wider you have a better shot of not causing a dangerous situation. If you bought an SUV for gas milage, then you probably bought the wrong vehicle. These are trucks and as such milage will never be good on em.

-mike
  • Options
    bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    Sad Story - wrong place at the wrong time - even though both were killed it still reinforces by desire to drive an SUV or truck.

About that tire cover - if the letterring is messed up I'm not too sure how they would fix that - they are not painted - probably have to replace the cover and paint to match -on the other hand I sort of like your idea of getting a spare alloy wheel - I think that would look really good too - sort of like the Jeep Liberty and Wrangler - for $178 that actually might cost less - depends on your deductible - be sure to use locking tire lug.
  • Options
    On the spare tire it's held on by adhesive. You could re-glue it probably.

-mike
  • Options
    cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    It's been years since I saw a TV commercial for Isuzus in my area (excluding Axiom of course). Well, they finally put some marketing money together and aired one during Star Trek Enterprise last night :-) It looks like the last call for that new Trooper, guys...
  • Options
    tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    The trooper doesn't look near as bad as the durango.
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    A matching alloy wheel will fit just fine on the spare tire mount. In fact, until about mid 1999 the factory spare was an alloy wheel.

My spare is a fifth alloy wheel that I bought, with 265/75R15 tire on it. Of course with that size tire I can't use my spare tire cover, but it looks good without the cover IMHO.
  • Options
    troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    My '00 Trooper Ltd. came w/ a matching spare alloy rim & has the original Dueler 684 mounted - never been on the ground.
    Yep on the adhesive for the Trooper letters on the spare tire cover.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure most produced up to mid-'99 model year had alloys but then switched to steelies.

-mike
  • Options
    zutrooperzutrooper Member Posts: 66
    Anyone want to sell a 5 spoke alloy? I need one for spare. I'm about to buy a set of 5 285s. It would be nice for all to match.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No buying or selling on Town Hall please.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    My wife has the truck so I can't check to verify right now. However, with "Y" in the VIN, it's a '00 model & the in-service date is the 1st half of April, 2000. I didn't buy it new & it appears by all the docs I have that it was in fleet service prior to my purchase a year later.
  • Options
    Interesting, maybe the fleet vehicles came with them. Mine was built in Feb 2000 as was my buddy's both have steelies. I've since upgraded to an AL spare.

-mike
  • Options
    It seems unlikely that a fleet vehicle would be specially equipped w/ a full alloy spare & doubtful as a special order....unless ordered / added after delivery for an executive, maybe?
  • Options
    Deal breaker? or if they had other ones in the fleet someone swapped it out after the other one got wrecked or something?

-mike
  • Options
    Yep, could be. I admit that it really came as a surprise....but not complaining. :) I'll check the build date for the heck of it, anyway.
  • Options
    I've checked, and I have the steel wheel too. The lettering on the cover is marked up, but they didn't pop off or anything like that. The obvious first choice will be to try to clean it up and see how that goes.

Anyone buy their 5th wheel from a reputable after market dealer? I assume a wheel is a wheel - but our dealer charges $350-400 for the 12 spoke limited wheel, vs $178 I found on my first online search.

Thanks-
    Drew
  • Options
    Maybe it was as simple as the factory could at its own discression use aluminum spare tire rims if the steel ones were not in stock at that moment. It would be less expensive to gve away some aluminum rims than to miss a scheduled shipping date.
  • Options
    I tried posting this earlier:
    To confirm, Feb. 2000 is the build date on my '00 Ltd. - w/ a factory 12 spoke alloy hanging on the rear door...for whatever reason. :)
    Addendum: Not realizing that an alloy spare rim is not standard, I'm not divulging my Troop.'s color & keeping the hard shell cover on....heheh.
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Be careful with the touch-up paint! I basically ruined mine by trying to touch up several scrapes that cut across the entire diameter of the cover. It now looks horrible and is hanging in the garage. Oh well - the spare wheel on our '98 Troop is a matching alloy, and it looks pretty sharp back there.
  • Options
    I, too removed my spare tire cover because I was always bashing it with the tongue of my utility trailer when I unhitched (you gotta really pull to get it to disconnect from the ball).

Anyway, the naked spare tire would look a lot better with an ISUZU spindle cover, too. Any ideas where to get one other than the dealer? BTW, I think the uncovered spare makes the truck look better. I wonder whether it's bad for the tire, though. UV rays and all.

On another topic, is there a way to reprogram the keyless entry to it doesn't beep when you lock/unlock? My wife's Toyota's lights flash. Much better in a lot with lots of people walking around.
  • Options
    Flashes the lights when locking or unlocking. Only beeps if I re-lock it after the initial lock.

-mike
  • Options
    I wouldn't think of touching it up myself - I would only try to remove the black marks, and maybe wax/polish it. If it's still noticable, I might consider taking it to a body shop for a total repaint.

Thankfully the thing is plastic, if it were fiberglass or metal, it would have been dented or cracked.

Drew
  • Options
    It will run you about $300 to have it painted at a shop. They'd need to put in the plastic paint additive so that it's flexible. :(

-mike
  • Options
    So maybe I should trade mine in... :o) Mine beeps when locking or unlocking. Single beep locking, double beep unlocking. Obnoxious.
  • Options
    cknottcknott Member Posts: 61
    The remote keyless entry system for the Trooper can be reprogrammed. When we bought our Trooper, 99 model, it would always chirp the horn. The dealer spent two minutes and modified the program. It simply flashes the parking lights now. I am not sure if the reprogramming instructions on Paison's site discusses this topic.

Chad
  • Options
    My buddy has a Chevy clone of the Acsender. Initially he loved it. Now he's driving his wife's car as much as possible to minimize the miles on the TrailBlazer so the warrantee does not wear out. He has had it in the shop many many times, he exadurates and says it needs weekly trips to the shop for reapir.

That and Isuzu is selling its interest in the Subaru plant means only a short while now and our Troopers will be orphans like the legendary International Scouts.
  • Options
    wildbucwildbuc Member Posts: 88
    Check out eBay for the spare cover. I have seen them advertised there from time to time. A salvage yard is another alternative.

If the cover can't be buffed out, I would paint it myself. It can't be that expensive. I have painted enire cars for $30. to $50. and they looked great. I wouldn't pay anyone more than $75. to paint it.
  • Options
    mbanuelosmbanuelos Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone every encounter this problem my engine will shut off while driving for no reason.

I have a 1999 Trooper it's been to the dealer four times and the only item they found was a faulty mass air sensor.
  • Options
    ostazostaz Member Posts: 80
    mbanuelos, I have had this situation a few times, but only when slowing down, or stopping. I have not taken the truck to the shop yet.

I have also had it only when shifting to "Park", and before I shut the ignition off, but as long as I left it in drive, it will run fine.

Let me know what you find out.
  • Options
    providenceprovidence Member Posts: 1
    99 Trooper w/ 53K miles. About 4 months ago my check engine light came on while driving, so I pulled over, shut down, restarted, thinking it might reset, it didn't. I was in Seattle when it happened, so called my home dealer who suggested stopping by dealer in Seattle. Bellevue Isuzu dealer wasn't too far away, so I pulled in, and they checked the code, no charge, and not much wait.

I can't remember what the code was for now, but was told if it happened again they'd put in a new transmission, no problem (48K miles at the time). Of course, no check engine light since.

As for spare, steel wheel, built around August 1999.
  • Options
    peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    My 99 Trooper had the same problem and I had the same experience at the dealer. Last time, I went to another dealer and they changed gaskets on the engine, so far it is OK. The mechanic said both Trooper and Rodeo have the gasket problem (99 or older ones)
  • Options
    96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    We just bought a nice burgundy 2001 4x4 S with 30k auto with TOD and I am planning on doing some preventative maintenance myself. From what I read, the 30k service includes fluid changes in basically all transfer cases and differentials. I was surprised that the auto tranny fluid does not have a recommended fluid change till 120k and there's no dipstick to check it. The maintenance schedule also mentions to repack the front wheel bearings at 30k, is that an expensive job and can be done by the DIY?
    P.S. Love the vehicle so far, it's very solid and spacious.
  • Options
    Well the Trooper got a nice towing workout this past weekend. 250miles of 5000lb trailer towing in torrential downpours! Handled like a champ and even brought in 10mpg towing that weight at speeds from 60-75mph. Saturday pulled out a few 3000lb boats for my family up at the lake. The Trooper took them in stride. Now it's home resting after a full weekend.

-mike
  • Options
    Towing seems to also be a place where Troopers are larger than they seem from looking at them.

One of the reasons I bought my brand new 1984 Trooper is that I wanted the room inside of a van and the off road ability to have fun finding remote fishing on rivers in the mountains. I describe the space inside the 1984 (and my 1995) as almost large enough to park another Trooper inside.

I never towed with the 1984 1.9L. I tow a lot with the 1995 3.2L and I am happy to say that based on my experiences (towing my same trailer with a full size GM conversion van handling was way worse than with my little Trooper) and stories from this discussion and other discussions about trailering that the 1992-2002 Troopers tow like a much larger truck.

Trooper only takes as much parking lot area as a Toyota Camry car and yet it does holds so much and tows so well it is amazing.
  • Options
    Add in that it has an AMAZING turning radius as well. I'll admit that towing the 5000lbs I could have used a hair more umph when trying to accelerate on the highway, but that's only because I drive VERY fast in general. I was still passing semis and just about every other car on the road friday night. In 225miles I'd say that maybe 5-7 cars passed me, and I passed at least 100-500+

-mike
  • Options
    bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    FYI

Refusing to pay Isuzu $569 for the 30K service on our 01 LS I had the transmission filter and fluid changed for $35. The transfercase and both differentials changed - plus limited slip additive for $99. I asked them if they did bearing repacks and their mechanic asked if the Trooper was a 4X4 and quoted $60 for both front bearings - he seemed familiar with Troopers - next months it will be done. I had this service done at Skill Lube one of the local Quick Oil Change services here in Alabama. Skill Lube had all the Trooper fluid change specifics in their computer data base.
  • Options
    In preparation for Uwharrie, I added tires and biulder bars. The boulder bars were made by Tennesseeoffoad. I really like their design. Instead of using 2x2 mounting brackets. They use mandrel bent .155 DOM tubing. The tubing adds clearance and eliminates any vertical welds. Also, I added a set of Pepboy Dakotas in 285/75/16. They're look agressive. Noise factor is low, but there is some vibration. Also, vehicle pull slightly to the right. I've had tires balanced twice now, and they're a little better. Both shops said that the tires are extremely stiff, and may need to wear in a bit. OVerall, however, I'm very pleased w/ the new setup. Mark P
  • Options
    Is that on stock suspension or near stock? If so I'm going to be looking at it very closely @ uwharrie. Heck maybe I'll ride shotgun with you since I won't have my rig down there. When my 275-70s are done, I'm gonna likely go with 285-75s to replace them.

-mike
  • Options
    Mike, 285s fit w/ no problems on an '01 w/ stock wheel, OME springs, and stock torsion bars. I popped a few curbs while making extreme turns w/ no rubbing on fenders flares, so I'm in good shape. Mark P
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    That's a deal! Hopefully he did know what is involved, because it should cost much more than that.

I asked my dealer about it and he said wait until you need new brakes, it is only like $10 to do along with a brake job.