Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

"Warranty Gold" Claims

bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
Warranty Gold" continues the discussion begun by
"deparson" in Smart Shopper. Click here to read
Topic #185.

Then hurry back to continue the discussion in this
new Conference.

Comments

• Warranty_GoldWarranty_Gold Member Posts: 22
    Reply to deparsons
    All claims on a Warranty Gold contract are dealt with by Warranty Gold's administrator and paid directly to the repair facility,which you selected, by VISA or MasterCard. You therefore do not have to wait to be re-imbursed and neither does the repair facility.
    annem Warranty Gold
  • 27612761 Member Posts: 3
    Hai Bonnie rick, I would like to buy warranty gold also, they seems realible but I called so many dealer which they would not accept the warranty? Have you bought the warranty since you placed the question? Please let me know ! Thank you.
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    I'm just the Edmunds.com Administrative Host who helped move this topic from the Smart Shopper Conference to this new Conference. I see however, that you've already found your way to Talk to the Warranty Gold Team (Topic #19) where they answered one of your questions...
  • bpmeupbpmeup Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying an extended warranty for my 98 Pontiac. Has anyone out there had experiences either good or bad with the Warranty Gold services? The description sounds good, but I would like to hear from someone who has experienced dealer/repair facility response to repairs using this service,\.
  • fredmefredme Member Posts: 1
    I have just learned than my Warranty Gold policy will not cover a failed idle speed control motor. It's not like this is a tire or hose or belt that you would expect to replace with normal use. Even the dealership, which sells extended warranties, was surprised that this was not a covered part. There goes $600 out of my pocket. My advice to anybody considering purchasing an extended warranty from Warranty Gold, or another company, is to be very aware of what is and what is not covered.
  • warranty_gold1warranty_gold1 Member Posts: 1
    The Warranty Gold Diamond Plan would cover Idle Control Modules. In the Warranty Gold contract book, what is and is not covered by each plan is plainly listed, and we certainly recommend that our customers read their books carefully during their review period. It would be a rare person who knows the names of ALL the parts their vehicle consists of, and sometimes our customers choose to go with the Diamond Plan, which covers everything except certain excluded items (mainly maintenance items).

Sincerely,
    Cindy M., Internet Marketing Mgr.
    Warranty Gold
  • petempetem Member Posts: 1
    I recall asking Warranty Gold for details of
    what was covered, _before_ signing up, and
    the would not provide it.
  • tomkktomkk Member Posts: 4
    I received all the detail I asked for without any problems before. I had phone and email information as well as information here. No problems as far as I'm concerned.
  • sylky6sylky6 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get a 98 Jimmy SLT. I have many questions since in the past I have always bought my vehicles. #1 I'd like to know, since the Jimmy has a $1,500 rebate right now... can that be applied on a lease or only when buying? #2 What is the difference between the smart buy, smart lease and just buying? I'm looking for a lower monthly payment and I normally get tired of my vehicles after 3 years. The minute they need repairs they are a hassle and are up for sale!! :)
  • Smitty615Smitty615 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 199 Chrysler Cirrus which has LOTS of electrical and mechanical functions. I cannot decide whether I should purchase an extended warranty. Any suggestions from happy as well as unhappy buyers?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Sylky6, as long as you don't put more than 12 - 15 thousand miles on your car per year, it sounds like you should probably lease your next truck. Leasing will enable you to get a new vehicle every couple of years and to avoid any unnecessary repairs that aren't covered by the warranty. Unfortunately, I do not believe that the current $1,500 rebate on the GMC Jimmy is available on leases.

Your Co-Host
  • StrategoStratego Member Posts: 29
    Sylky6 -

Usually getting a new vehicle at the end of the model year there are several options.

#1 You can get a rebate ($1,500 in your case). If you're purchasing, you simply get $1,500 off the purchase price. For leasing, your monthly payments will be lower because of the lower sale price.

#2 You can get 0% (interest) financing, or something close to 0%. This only applies to purchasing, and is usually for a term of 36 months. The longer the finance term, the higher the interest rate. Financing is sort of similar to leasing, except at the end of the term the vehicle is yours. It's basically like getting a loan from the bank to help you purhcase your next vehicle.

#3 You get a special lease (interest) rate, depending on the length of your lease term (2, 3, 4, 5 yrs.). Once again, the longer the lease term, the higher the interest rate.

If you are thinking of leasing, which obviously sounds right for you, it would be better to lease a '99 instead of a '98. The payments would be about the same due to the now lower residual value of a '98, so you might as well get some newer features on a '99.

Smitty615 -

Check out the Cars Conference. You will find at least one "cloud-car" topic, most likely to be listed under Plymouth Breeze or Dodge Stratus. There are still several bugs that need to be worked out in these "cloud-cars", so I would suggest getting the extended warranty.
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    I am pondering purchasing a warranty gold Platinum or Diamond plan for a 1994 Q45. I am concerned that this really is a dependable and reasonable warranty program.. Is the Diamond plan worth the extra money?
  • bhumishbhumish Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of getting the warranty from the company. Do not know much about them. Can some one give more information about them. Like some one else mentioned that some dealers do not accept the warranty.
    I presently have a dimension warrant coverage. Is it advisable to shift to warranty gold.
    Could please email the answer to bhumish@hotmail.com
  • cakes414cakes414 Member Posts: 1
    Regarding whether dealers will take Warranty
    Gold or any 3rd party warranties, we just had
    a Ford dealer who refused to honor 3rd party
    warranties. WE WALKED AWAY FROM THE DEAL and
    drove to another dealer who WOULD accept our
    warranty. The dealers wanted $1700 for 100,000
    mile policy whereas Warranty Gold will only
    cost us $1400 (if we buy this week) for a 150,000
    mile plan. We also asked the new dealer we are buying from to give us something in writing that they will honor our warranty in case ownership of dealership changes down the road.

The main reason that dealers don't want to deal with 3rd party warranties is that they had to wait to get reimbursed. Warranty Gold pays them
    immediately via credit card so that is no longer an issue. I told this to dealer # 1 and for the life of me, cannot understand why they refused to do business with us.

BTW, the first dealer lost a $22,000 sale on a Windstar GL because of this. They did call us back to try to work things out that day but it was too late, they left a bad taste in our mouth on the deal.

As far as I am concerned the extended warranty is a necessary purchase in the cost of vehicle and it is an integral part of the deal.

What was the worst of this is that the dealer who
    lost this sale lied to us and told us that NO
    Ford dealer would take 3rd party warranties.
    I guess they figured we were so starry eyed in
    love in their vehicle that we wouldn't check around to see if another Ford dealer would play
    ball with us. They miscalculated and it cost them.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    cakes414-

GOOD for you! I would have done the SAME thing! There are TOO many dealers like that! They need another dose of foreign competition to knock them down a few pegs-AGAIN!

Good luck with your Windstar.

Bob
  • DaveJDaveJ Member Posts: 1
    Warranty Gold....NOT!

Just traded in for a new vehicle, and wanted to transfer my WG "Diamond" coverage to the new vehicle. Now I expected to pay a little additional, but...

Transfers.....no, you have to cancel first and re-buy.

Do you get the 85% back they state if you've never used the service?....no, that only applies if you hang on to the warranty for it's full length. Odd, since they are certainly at less risk if you don't keep the warranty on what would be an aging vehicle. After one year of policy in effect, you only get about 74% back. ("You should have read your contract more carefully.")

Do they try to work with you to keep your business?...NO.
  • depmandepman Member Posts: 2
    I recall that I had previously purchased an extended service contract on a Mercury Tracer. The car was totaled when someone ran a stop sign after owning it for only 6 months. Of the $1120 I paid for the 5 yr. 100,000 mile contract, I only received $580 back as a refund. So I agree, 74% back souds pretty good.
  • rmayrmay Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new Honda Odyssey ex to be delivered in two to three weeks and want an extended service contract. with all the electronics in this vehicle i feel this is necessary. what has the experience been with warranty gold??? anyone know anything about Honda's warranty? what i see the warranty gold package is better and costs less. i want a 7 year 100,000 mile or is there a better option that i should consider.
  • sfgator95sfgator95 Member Posts: 1
    I am pretty satisfied with Warranty Gold. Just had both front struts replaced on my '95 Mustang, and it only cost me the $50 deductable.

No hassles or problems using the policy, just told the guy at the garage to call Warranty Gold first and make sure the repair was covered. They didn't have any problems it approved.
  • bjmeyerbjmeyer Member Posts: 24
    It strikes me that this represents a problem with the Warranty as much as the dealer. What good is the warranty if many service places won't accept it. If your car breaks down 300 miles from the nearest dealer that will accept the warranty, what good does it do you?
    FYI ~ There are options when your dealership or other repair shop will not accept payment directly from Warranty Gold. The best procedure for being reimbursed would be to:

1) Have the problem diagnosed.
    2) Fax the repair order to WG's Claims Administrator (INDS) immediately. Make sure the service dept's phone number and your name is on it so they can call you back.
    3) Receive authorization from INDS (as to whether the repairs are covered by your particular service
    contract plan, and what the payment authorization
    amount is).
    4) Proceed with your repairs.
    5) Pay the service department.
    6) Mail the completed, signed repair order with
    payment receipt to INDS (the address is in the
    contract book, pg. 12). Keep copies for yourself.
    7) Reimbursement amount would be mailed to you by
    check.

NOTE: These instructions are correct at the time of this writing. If INDS were to give you different instructions, you should follow them.

Warranty Gold
  • dennis4dennis4 Member Posts: 47
    I've never owned an ESP, but the idea of cashing in the policy and getting money back just might sway me as I just picked up my 99 F250 SD 4wd. How does that work? What are the refund amounts vs time? Also does WG cover trucks that have had snowplows put on them for personal use? And are the policies transferable? Thanks Dennis
  • dennis4dennis4 Member Posts: 47
    What do you mean by a factory installed snowplow? Do you mean one that is professionally installed by a plow dealer/distributor? I didn't think Ford factory installed any snowplows.
    Regarding the unlikely chance that I won't use the warrantee, I'll bite. What have the claims been for on Ford trucks in general and late model 3/4 ton Fords in particular?

Thanks Dennis
    Yes, the snowplow should be professionally installed by a dealer/distributor.

We've been paying many claims on Ford trucks on a component called a heater blender box, which opens and closes to let air circulate through the vehicle. It is covered by our Diamond plan. The part costs about $20, but labor is from $200-$300. I will post stats on other Ford claims as I get them.

Most late model trucks (within the last 3 years) are still under factory warranty, so once they exit that coverage we start paying for the covered repairs; the benefits of our plans can be utilized at any time.

Warranty Gold
  • trianj1trianj1 Member Posts: 4
    Post script. Just checked the Better Business Bureau rating on Warranty Direct in the NY area. According to the BBB, WD has received 30 complaints in the last 36 months, 13 of which were in the last year. While the firm has responded to most complaints, it has failed to respond to one of the complaints. Complaints allege non receipt of Contract, no receipt of refunds upon cancellation after reveiw of contract, and/or billing complaints. I am quite confident that the same complaints will be found at WG as well. I have said it before and will say it again, "If the company is so good, put everything upfront on the web for our inspection BEFORE WE BUY. I am beginning to think you are better off selling the car after 36 months if you begin haveing problems. The $1000. you save on the contract should cover normal items for the 4th and 5th year.
    Good point. Since none of these warranties cover "normal wear items," and their definition of this category tends to be as wide as possible, you're in the position of hoping something goes wrong with your car.

Buy a reliable brand with a good warranty, put that $1000 in the bank, and you'll probably come out ahead even if you do need a repair that would have been covered.

I bought an extended warranty on a couple of vehicles. On one, kept 9 years, I had one covered repair. It cost just about what the warranty did. I did have one expensive repair at about 8 years, but none of the available warranties go that long.

On the other, the car was totalled after 18 months (not my fault, honest ), and I got a partial refund, but was still out the rest. And no, the other guys insurance wouldn't reimburse me for that money.
    Every company receives complaints; the difference in companies often is revealed in the timely satisfaction of valid complaints versus the alternative. Warranty Gold maintains its very satisfactory rating with the BBB by taking care of its customers. Please complete your research - it is irresponsible to assume that what is true of one company is true of another without facts.

Warranty Gold
    Cindy. I appreciate your reply and recognize that you may have a valid point. I will however ask you to verify that point by posting the BBB report on your organization. Since I do not know where your home office is based, I have been unable to obtain it. BBB reports for the past three years indicate the number of complaints an business had during the period, whether or not they responed to a BBB inquiry and if the matter was verified or corrected. Additionally, firms that belong to the BBB agree that they will abide by recognized principles and in the event of a custormer dispute, will submit to BINDING ARBITRATION before the BBB. Now thats good business. Cindy, I would like to know if WG 1. Is a BBB member, and 2. What the BBB report on WG says about the number of complaints. Thanks again for you reply.
    Then again, if Warranty Gold didn't, on average, pay out less in claims that they make in premiums, they wouldn't be in business, would they?

And extended warranty is, in essence, insurance. Like collision on your car, you pay for it in case you need it, and the insurance company takes your money and hopes you don't need it. Over a large base of customers, the insurance (be it collision or WG) is priced so the insurance company makes money.

So the question is, when is it worth paying for insurance, and when isn't it? A buyer needs to weigh the likelihood of having a covered problem(s), the cost of that problem(s), and how much risk they are willing to take.

The "average" customer will lose money on an extended warranty, otherwise the warranty company will go broke. How much risk are you willing to tolerate, and how much can you afford to pay for repairs on your own if you don't buy the warranty?

That's what you have to decide. I'd be much more likely to buy a warranty on, say, a brand new Chrysler 300 than on a well proven Toyota Camry.
    Cindy M. Thank you again for your reply under
    what I will admit is a somewhat blistering attack.
    While we are tough on you we are I hope fair as
    well and only looking to keep from getting ripped
    off in an industry notoriously suspect. I was very
    encouraged to see that WG is a member of the
    Online BBB. The fact that your company has
    undertaken such a commitment indicates a sincere
    effort in trying to serve its customers. As you
    can see by the numerous horror stories regarding
    extended warranties, many of us are rightfully
    concerned. Needless to say, laying out a $1000.
    or more represents quite an expenditure on such an
    iffy proposition. I will give the matter some
    more thought before making a final decision. In
    any event I wish you continued success. PS> If
    you ever decide to leave WG, you should think
    about running your own business. Your
    communication skills and ability to reason are
    fantastic.
  • baggs1baggs1 Member Posts: 1
    Re: Extended Warranty's. I purchased one for my '95 Chevy Suburban. GMAC. Cost $1000. I needed it for a new transmission, rear air unit and a new front air compressor. It would of been close to $3000 out of pocket. I asked the banker to put the additional $1000 on my note and it worked out to be about $15 a month. Not bad insurance for that kind of vehicle. I am considering purchasing another EW but haven't heard too much about WG when mentioned at the dealership's.
  • abauer2dabauer2d Member Posts: 1
    In #26, WG says that if the dealership of your choice will not accept payment from WG, a WG policy holder can still have a claim paid if he or she follows the steps described by Cindy M. This seems to address the concern about WG not being accepted by many dealerships, but does not seem consistent with WG's promotional info which says that WG's policies require that WG pay the repair facility with WG's Visa/Mastercard. Are the steps described by Cindy M. for reimbursement to the policyholder written in WG's contract book? Can WG decline payment to a policyholder who uses Cindy. M's procedures? How does WG's administrator establish the payment authorization amount and how does the authorized amount compare with the typical dealership's charges for warranty work, generally. I am not a current WG policyholder but I am in the market for a ESP.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    abauer,

From what I have been led to understand, you don't get the actual plastic Visa card. When the repair is made, the dealer/repair shop calls in and is then paid that way over the phone. They are given the account number and an authorization. This is how dealers can say they don't accept it - it's not the customer paying for the vehicle repair; it's a third party, and some shops just will not work that way.
    The steps that I outlined in Item #26 are not mine. They are in use by our Administrator as an option when your repair facility refuses payment from WG and going to another repair facility is not an option.

Warranty Gold determines payment amount based on industry repair charge guides such as Chilton's, Mitchell's, etc., and pays retail for parts and labor. It's an extremely fair method, in place to keep you, and us, from fraudulently high charges.

Warranty Gold
  • chevy56chevy56 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if anyone knows what the major problems that a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix has
    had. Engine, trans. ETC. I'm looking to purchase extended insurance coverage.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Chevy56, I have driven this car and found it to be pretty nice. However, I have read that older Grand Prix models have below average reliability. The 1996 model year was the last year before this car was redesigned. Some of the problems of the previous model have been fixed in the new version. The major problems with the '96 model concern body integrity, the electrical system, and the brakes.

Your Host
  • volvovolvo Member Posts: 1
    Cindy @ Warranty Gold:
    Cindy:
    Thanks for all your responses. I am curious, We just purchased a 98 dodge caravan and I wonder what your experience has been with trouble spots on this particular make. From most of the postings I have read, the weak link is the 4 speed transmission. Has warranty gold seen more than ususal claims in this area?

Jeff B
    The different approaches to describing these two plans make it very hard to compare them. One lists a large number of things that *are* covered. The other a shorter list of things that *aren't* covered.

Can you provide a list of items that *are* covered on the diamond plan but are *not* covered under the platinum?

Thanks.
    Jeff B:

I spoke with our Director of Sales, and he has more years in the car industry than he likes to say outloud. He believes that, although the 4 speed trans. has been a problem for Dodge in the past, Dodge has been making great improvements on a lot of their past problems in this area.

We have seen a decline in the amount of claims for this area.

Hope this helps.
    Vanessa Lee (Cindy's replacement)
    Technical Marketing Manager
    Warranty Gold
    bjmeyer:

Pocahontas did a great job summarizing the basic differences between the Diamond and the Platinum plans. To add to that, I thought that it would be useful for me to list some items, as examples, that are covered under a Diamond but not under a Platinum plan:

- Factory-installed Navigation Systems (G.P.S.)
    - Factory-installed Security System
    (Platinum plan will cover Remote Keyless Entry)
    - Factory-installed Audio System
    - Traction Control
    - Programmable Seats
    - Power Mirrors
    - Monochromatic Mirrors
    - Oil Gauge Sending Unit
    - Thermostat
    - CV Boots
    - Flywheel
    - Motor Mounts
    - Ignition Coil
    - 4WD Sending Unit

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Take care,
    Vanessa Lee
    Warranty Gold
    Thank you.
  • kyliangkyliang Member Posts: 6
    Cindy @ Warranty Gold:

I found that Warranty Direct has almost exact the same Warranty plan as yours but about $100 about cheaper. The coverage description for each plan is identical. I wonder if you are selling the contract from the same underwriter?

Thanks
  • n2lthn2lth Member Posts: 7
    I can not get any dealer in this area to except Warranty Gold so I will be going with Major Guard even though it cost more. Warranty Gold you need to do more PR work if you would like to sale your Warranty, I do not like the hassle of having to file a claim myself.
    I am sorry that you have encountered such a hassle. First, when you say that you can't get any dealer to except Warranty Gold, does that mean that you are doing the work yourself? If you want to go to certain repair facilities that do not except Warranty Gold at this time, just call us and we can do the work to get the repair facility set up with us. You don't have to do the leg work; just get us the name and phone number of the facility.

Second, with Warranty Gold, you don't have to file a claim yourself. If you trust your repair facility, they can file the claim for you. Many of our customers will file claims themselves just to stay on top of what is happening to their vehicle.

Finally, one reason that you may have encountered difficulties yourself in requesting facilities to use a third party company such as Warranty Gold, is that many repair facilities have been burned in the past by third parties who pay by check. Warranty Gold pays by Visa/Mastercard.

Please e-mail me directly with any further questions or concerns you have.
    Vanessa Lee
    Warranty Gold
    vlee@warrantygold.com
  • evilrobotevilrobot Member Posts: 1
    I posted this question on the "Extended Warranties" forum on Jan. 26, and have not yet
    received a reply, so I will repeat it here:

I have a question for Warranty Gold. Does the
    "Diamond" plan policy (on a new car) cover
    diagnostic time? If it takes a mechanic four
    hours to discover that a $20 part needs to be
    replaced, does the "Diamond" policy cover the
    four hours of the mechanic's time, or does it
    just cover the $20 part?

Thank you.
  • mcicmcic Member Posts: 1
    evilrobot,

I actually called WG regarding this issue and they assured me that they cover everything ie..parts labor and diagnostic.

Vanessa, Can you confirm!!
  • vandeanovandeano Member Posts: 27
    I have a 97 suburban that is still under factory warranty and I just purchased the Warranty Gold Diamond Plan. Can anyone tell me from Warranty Gold if I install an after market muffler other then the exhaust system will the rest of the vehicle still be covered, such as the trany, rear end, engine, electrical system.....

I ask a few dealers and can not seem to get a straight answer, and since I can not get a straight answer from them and most likely if I should have a problem it will be under Warranty Golds contract, because my factory warranty is almost over. If there not going to cover anything just in case something should happen, I would like to have my refund before my 30 days is up.

A response would greatly be appreciated.
    Yes indeed, diagnosis is covered under the Diamond
    plan if diagnosis is recommended in any of the
    following: Chilton, Mitchell, Motor Guide, or
    www.alldata.com. Your repair facility should be
    able to easily tell you if any diagnosis is
    recommended by the above sources, if not, give us a call and we can find out for you or your repair
    facility.

Take care,
    Vanessa Lee
    Warranty Gold
    I have an affirmative answer to your question.
    "YES," the rest of your vehicle would still be
    covered even if you installed an after market
    muffler. Installing an after market muffler will
    not void your extended warranty through Warranty
    Gold.

Hope this helps,
    Vanessa Lee
    Warranty Gold