Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Hi all.
    I'm shoping around for a new car, and right now I'm pretty much set to buy a Rodeo Sport/Amigo 2001. I based my choice mainly on parameters like engine power, mpg, reliability and, ahem, safety. I'm looking for a mini/mid-size SUV that will be able to do 0-60mph in under 8 seconds preferably, or maybe 8.5-9 at most. I've read the crash test reports on Rodeo and Amigo, and seems like Amigo is actually a bit safer than Rodeo. Still not as safe as other cars, but I guess there's a tradeoff here: if you want high degree of protection, the car has to be made heavier or with better materials (look how BMW X5 and Lexus are rated....good across the board, but can you afford a 50K pricetag?).
    What I'm asking is this: being Rodeo/Amigo owners, would you advise to buy the car? I dont have a lot of time I could spend at a mechanic fixing the car all the time. (I realize that every car has to be fixed sometimes, but it doesnt have to get ridiculous, like with my Blazer '93, which requies a $500 repair once a month). I wold be willing to make certain modifications to the car to improve safety (is there a fix for possible rollover on sharp turns/lane shifts? Dealer recommends getting the Ironman package, with Intelligent Suspension System). If you dont recommend this type of car, what would you recommend instead?
    Thank you very much,
    Andrei
  • bluesentrabluesentra Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    Just wanted to find out which has the most reliable data for Safety Test for Vehicles;
    IIHS-HLDI (Insurance Institute Highway Safety-Highway Loss Data Institute) or NHTSA
    (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ??...
    On the IIHS-HLDI.... The Isuzu Rodeo 2000 is rated as Poor
    While in the NHTSA .... The Rodeo is rated 2000 Good/Safe
  • nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    I bought a 2000 rodeo ls 4dr 4x4 last october. paid $24k. ( 6disc, hood protector, cargo mat, cargo net, alloy rims). My wife loves it. lots of room, easy access (rear gate is hinged on the left, not the top or bottom). As far as safety, you'd have to be doing something pretty dumb to roll the vehicle, remember it's a sport utility, not a sports car. I'd admit the shocks are a little soft, probably put in monroe's or bilsteins when these wear out.

Let's talk about the abs. The function of abs is to release the pressure on the brake(s) that is connected to a tire(s) that has stopped spinning, or are spinning at a lesser rate of the other wheels. If the abs turns on too much, then either your tire pressure is too high (smaller contact patch), or possibly your shocks are shot,or your tires are worn too much (the softer 'wear' tread is gone).

side note: I had the same abs problem on my '94 honda accord lx/abs. I dumped the oem michelins. In winter, steel studded 'snow master' tires on all fours. Summer time, cooper cobra's on 15x7's. On dry pavement in the summer time the abs will not turn on (real phat contact patch). Winter time, the car stops, ever see a suv/truck go sliding sideways past you @40 while you are stopped at a stop light on a steep hill (going down)?
    back to the issue:
    I have had the abs turn on when I hit a big pothole (pretty common in Mass) when trying to stop. The stock/oem bridgestones, aren't exactly my choice of suv tire, but get this, they are wicked quiet and ride pretty good.
    I personally would recommend the 2000/2001 rodeo/sport,but if a family is in the near future, get the 4dr. (I'm in the same boat). You can't beat the warranty or the price. Test drive the others, pathfinder, durango, 4runner, xterra, explorer, I did.
    The rodeo isn't the greatest in real off roading, but for the times when you need the 4 wheel drive (let's see the last storm we had... 19" of snow) it's works flawlessly.
    Granted the rodeo is not a 100% refined vehicle, it won't ride like a caddy, it won't beat a corvette of the line, it doesn't handle like a porshe. ITS A SPORT-UTE!!
    (reading some of the messages that others have left, makes you wonder..) The rodeo does what it was made for extremely well.
    You may have problems with the vehicle, as like any other vehicle, check out the recalls and technical service bullitens from the nhsta.com site. Look up your other choice vehicles, see what the track record is. ( I did all this, you'll find the same conclusion I did, go get a rodeo.)

Find a good dealer. call the better business bureau in your area and find out which dealers have complaints against them. When 'wheeling and dealing', don't be afraid to walk out on the sales person, especially if the pressure is on, and 'no' doesn't work. I beat the edmunds tmv, figure the options and what not. but would have been happy at the tmv.

Hope this helps.
    Later
    Nate
  • kduong1kduong1 Member Posts: 7
    I too bought a 2000 LS in Feb of 2000. My first SUV. The truck is rock solid. Have 14k now
    with no problem. I check the underbody regularly for leak but no thing so far. I just changed my shock to Monroe Matic-Plus. I read/research about Edelbrock IAS, Rancho RSX and Monroe
    Reflex. Since the last two are not available for the Rodeo yet so I decided to go with the Matic and wait until the Reflex becomes available. I had A1-shock here in Houston installed at $16.95 each and $35 installation. The truck has more control now. It does not bounce up and down over large hilly surface. I can drive twice the speed now on the bumpy road that I use to drive everyday. I would not dare to drive any faster before. For harshness over bump, at first it feels almost the same as the stock but now it is definitely softer as the shock settle/wear down. I just regret that I did not change it sooner. For the price and warranty, it's hard to beat the Rodeo.
  • thebord1thebord1 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a new car (my 2000 daewoo leganza was totaled last week) and am looking to get an suv this time.

can anyone give the details about the rodeo and if i am better off leasing or buying one? The dealer i went to was trying to lease a supped up l;s (had everything except leather) for 351 and had a brand new 2000 (with sunroof, otherwise same as above) that they would only finance and were going to sell it for 21999 after rebates. what is my best bet here or should i be looking in another direction altogether?

i'd appreciate any help you can give me.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The rodeo leases they re offering here in NY are great. Like $350/mo Zero down and a $13K buyout. IMHO excellent value vehicles.

I had a '97 that went 120K miles w/o seeing the dealer for anything. Now I have an '00 Trooper.

-mike
  • menswearmenswear Member Posts: 11
    I wanted to know Rodeo owner's opinions on the hatchgate design in the rear. Is it more convenient or less convenient that a traditional liftgate? Is it possible to get a Rodeo with a traditional liftgate???
    There will be a liftgate on the new Axiom, but the rodeo has the door. I always liked it cause you could stick wood and stuff out the back, also you don't have to worry about smacking it on the roof of a low garage/garage door.

-mike
    want to ask over in the owner's club area here on Edmunds Town Hall.

-mike
    I like the swing door. Plus being 6'5" tall, I don't have to worry about banging my head getting stuff out.
  • PeterUbersPeterUbers Member Posts: 48
    I have a 1998 Rodeo, and all I can say is that it's one of the most cheaply built vehicles I have ever owned.

Since day one, there have been little issues -- so many days spent in the service dept. at Isuzu's dealership.

This leads me to a discussion, I'm NOT bashing the Rodeo (i don't mind mine so much anyways) -- what do you all consider when you compare the Rodeo with the superior (in terms of build quality) Pathfinder, and perhaps a Jeep or something?

Actually, forget the Jeep, just consider the Pathfinder and other japanese built SUV's.

thankx
    Were the first year of the re-design. If you look at 99s, 00s, and 01s they are far better quality-wise. I had a '97 which was the last of the previous generation. 120K miles and it NEVER saw the dealer for anything. Oil changes ever 3K miles, 1 set of tires, 2 sets of brake pads.

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    An update from the editors at Edmunds (not me!)

"We recommend taking a close look at some of the other small SUVs on the market and going on a few test drives before settling for this warmed-over Amigo."

link

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    can also be seen here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/roadtests/longtermroadtests/1998/isuzu/rodeo/44037/index.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • jcmccants3jcmccants3 Member Posts: 8
    Hello Everyone,
    I am in the market for a new SUV. Have been considering Rodeo, Tribute, Escape, Exterra, and vehicles $20k to $25K. I really like the rodeo, and I hear Isuzu is running a special this month 0 down and 0% interest for 60 months. This sounds to good to be true? I am wondering if this means the dealers are not going to come down off of their sticker prices? Also, had been quoted around $23,500 for 2001 LS 2WD in Louisiana. I really would like to get a 4WD and wanted some advice on a good price for an LS 4WD and advice on the 0% interest, or at least what loop holes to look out for? Thank you for the help.
    JCM,
    post this over in the owner's club area, they'll give you tons of info.

-mike
    To reiterate, I own a '98 Rodeo, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. There are definitely things I wish the Dealer could fix, but they just don't know how.

Edmund's just bashed the heck outta the new Rodeo Sport. Most of the symptoms they spoke of I can totally relate to in my '98. I don't like the braking at all on the Rodeo. They still haven't fixed that ABS problem which can be very deadly if it occurs at the wrong time! I hope you are all aware of this, and have test-driven your Rodeo and slammed on the brakes over bumps and in wet conditions -- ugh, what a nightmare. Plus, the stopping power and the brake fade is another problem -- you really have to MASH on the brakes to get this puppy to stop sometimes. Another thing is the suspension, it is way too mushy, and the nose-dive upon sudden braking is ridiculous. Not to mention, after you drive the car for about 20K miles, you may, as many Rodeo owners do, begin to hear all these squeeks and squawks and shudders from the cheaply fit interior dash and paneling and the underbody. Ugh. I know this isn't a forum for my grievances, and I do love the responsiveness of the engine, the smooth transmission .. and the good looks .. and it's 4-wheel drive performance, but...

For those of you who own recent model Rodeos, how do you like the brakes, and do you notice a low-end "thud" from the drive-train as you come to a slow stop and then as you slowly accelerate from a stop?

Also, check our www.suv.com .. under the Rodeo owner's forum.
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    I have a 96 Rodeo with 98000 miles and has been back to the Dealer once for a recall on the wheel lugs. Overall its been a very good vehicle and recommended it to my daughter who bought a 2000. I just came back from the Cleveland Auto Show where I sat in every SUV and Truck.Looks don't matter to me anymore. Since I drive from the inside, the layout is most important, comfortable seats with lots of leg room both front and rear with ample cargo room. When judging a vehicle I always ask myself. Would you and your passengers be comfortable in a cross country trip? The auto show results are in. For the money, and the answere to my question , the Rodeo is hard to beat.Even the more expensive ones didn't have the room as the Rodeo.I am 58 years young and have owned many vehicles and one thing I have learned is this.THERE IS NO PERFECT VEHICLE. They are used for transportation people. Good luck in your Search for that Perfect Vehicle. I prefer to use my time doing other things.
    DC HOPP
  • robertr5robertr5 Member Posts: 1
    I am very interested in buying a Rodeo; however after test driving one yesterday I was disappointed in the amount of wind noise while on the freeway. Can anyone comment about this. Are they all this noisey?
    I would have to agree with you -- the Rodeo is -- on paper -- the best bang for the proverbial "buck," and I complement your notion that there is no perfect vehicle -- but some, as you have to agree at the age of 58, are better than others. Truth-be-told.

I don't mind the wind noise so much -- I have a '98 and I don't think it's that bad. On very windy days, while racing perpendicular to the cross-winds, the car can be excessively noisy, but nothing too extreme that one couldn't tolerate it. In fact, the car tracks very well in crosswinds, I thought.
    My wife and I are really satisfied with our rodeo.
    answering a few questions:
    wind noise, yeah a little bit, about as much as my '94 accord.
    if you have excessive wind noise move the crossbar on roof rack back a couple of inches.

I like the brakes, the abs works decent enough, although I would have picked a better tire than the oem bridgestones.

No thud from the tranny, but one of the ones I test drove did have a thud.

I really like the push-button 4x4, it made it through 18" of snow without complaining.

Price/options: ls, 4x4 auto,6 disc, hood protector (lexan), alloy rims, luggage mat and net, no sunroof. tire on the rear door.
    paid $24,6 with my financing.
    Current deals in the northeast, 0.0% financing for 60 mon.
    took delivery in october '00, have no problems.
    Later
    Nate
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    At the auto show, I see The 2001 Rodeo's have a push button 4 by 4 switch and they also have a lever. Does the switch merely engage the front hubs? On by 96 I just push the lever forward and that engages the front hubs and also activates the transfer case to supply power to the front wheels.
    Is for 4wd Hi, the lever is for 4wd Lo.

On the Axiom, there is pushbutton or actually a rotating knob that does TOD/4wd Hi, and 4wd Lo and 2wd. No levers at all.

-mike
    I'm finishing up my search for s sport suv, and I'm down to almost no choices left. Granted, I'm looking for a good engine with manual transmission, but is that too much to ask for? As it seems, Isuzu doesnt really have a Rodeo sport with V6 and manual tranny, but it can be built for me. Of course, only with soft top, which I dont really want at this point. Does anyone have bad experiences driving around in a soft top Rodeo Sport/Amigo (such as flapping at high speed on highway, total lack of security since I heard windows can be unzipped from outside, leaks in rain, etc)? Does anyone know how much and is it possible to talk a dealer into building a hard top V6 with manual transmission, or how much/is it possible to replace a soft top with a hard top.
    Thanks,
    Andrei
  • drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    If you badly need a V6 with manual, you might consider the 4 door model since it is a standard feature. Pricewise, you might be able to have then at invoice price at 0 down and 0 interest. Just wait until the introduction of the new AXIOM, and the other models will be offered at great great bargain.
    sc0rpi0,
    why the manual tranny?
    I personally like a manual tranny, my accord is a stick. I am very pleased with the automatic in the rodeo. It's very smooth and shifts where it needs to be. The overdrive works very well. I would reconsider the need for the manual. The towing capacity for the automatic is 4500lbs 'out of the box'.
  • laureatelaureate Member Posts: 4
    I am considering buying a 2001 4wd Rodeo, but at looking at posts here and on other sites, it seems like the Rodeo ABS is horribly unsafe. Has this and other problems been fixed in 2001?

Thanks.
    laureate,
    Some feel that the abs doesn't work as well as it should. Try the abs yourself, get a test drive from a dealership and find a parking lot with some sand. Give it a whirl. I have a 2000 rodeo ls 4x4 and haven't had an issue with it. Yes, as will increase your stopping distances when the traction is lost at the tire(s). But that is what is it supposed to do. What would you rather have, the abs turn on, with the vehicle going straight, still able to maneuver, or have a tire lock up and possibly spin the vehicle out of control?
    If the abs turns on, push the pedal harder.
    When I bought my '94 accord (new) it has abs. It was the first vehicle that I had owned with abs. At first it took a bit getting use to it. In snow, the origonal tires (michelin xt4) would not stop the car. I switched to studded snow tires, and the car stops, just short of launching me through the windshield.
    If the rodeo has a problem, there would be a recall. Remember the GM recall about 2 years ago for the abs? (mainly jimmy's and blazers)
    Hope this helps.
  • radmdradmd Member Posts: 4
    I need some advice as to whether this is a good deal or not. I would appreciate any input. I've just put a refundable deposit down on a 2000 Rodeo LS 4wd demo with the Ironman package from a dealer with 5,512 miles on it. In addition to the Ironman edition package, it has the audio upgrade w/ 6-CD changer, power moonroof, cargo mat, 16" Aluminum Wheels/Locks, and Tube side steps. According to my calculations, including freight, the subtotal on the invoice including options is $26,543. If you add the other dealer costs on the invoice faxed to me of $418 for the advertising fund, and $301 for something designated as the "floor plan," the total invoice is $27,262, not including the holdback. Also, leather seats were placed for a customer who subsequently did not get approved for financing. They tell me that the installation of the leather seats and door trim cost $1400. They probably paid around $1200. So including the cost of the leather, the true dealer cost would be $28,462. Now it's hard to get true figures for a brand new 2000 model, since you can't really use edmunds used car figures, as this car has never been titled, as it is a demo, but the figures I used for the price of the options was from an invoice that was faxed to me that included the dealer cost column on a similar Ironman Rodeo.

So as far as I can tell the true dealer cost is $28,462 with the holdback subtracted, but I was able to talk them to letting me have it for $28,100 plus a $200 "dealer prep" charge, while still allowing me to use the 0% financing. Am I missing something here? Did I miscalculate their cost? Should I have been able to negotiate cheaper?

Even though it seems like it's within their dealer cost, it seems steep for a Rodeo LS even with these options, but the Ironman package is exceedingly more difficult to find anymore, and I feel pretty lucky to have found this one in the black color I wanted. So should I get it? Any input would be appreciated.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    Does anyone own or have test-driven a 2.2L 4 cylinder Rodeo? Is the power sufficient?
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    Try 2001 Honda Passport EX (with leather) for 26 grands. It doesn't have the intelligent suspension but reviews about intelligent susp is not that great. There are many aftermaket shock upgrades for just about a hundred dollar with much better ride quality. I used Monroe matic shocks with very comfortable ride.

Honda drivetrain warranty is NOT 10 years but feedbacks reveals that ISUZU gives their customers a run-around when they deserved warranty coverage and the aftersale services were mostly horrible.
    is still 120K miles warranty. Isuzu does do some run-around, but it's mostly the dealers which IMHO you can get a good dealer or bad dealer for Honda or Isuzu, the only differences I've seen is when you move from average cars to Lexus, BMW, Caddy etc. then the service is better.

-mike
  • bperry4bperry4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm seriously considering buying a 01 Rodeo S. I'm not sure about the options however. Does anyone have opinions on the alloy wheels as steel? How about the stereo - I'm thinking after market rather than $575 for the "comfort package" which includes the ad player. Any comments are appreciated.
    The steel rims actually look decent.

-mike
  • radmdradmd Member Posts: 4
    drmp - Thanks for the input. I managed to get their invoice with the dealer cost column, and including the leather, $28,300 is really their actual costwith the holdback subtracted, no more or less. But you're right it does seem steep for a 2000 demo. I may end up buying a 2001 Black LSE with the gold package and cargo tray, instead. After calling around, the best price I could find was $29,900 with the 0% financing. That price only leaves $500 profit for them coming out of their holdback.

Will I need to put Monroe Matic shocks on if it has the intelligent suspension system, or can I even do that?

Also, what can I do before buying that can assure me that the warranty will be honored. Someone had suggested getting it in writing that they will fix any rattles, squeeks, or excessive wind noise before agreeing to buy it. That seemed like a good idea. What else should I be wary of, or try to ask for before buying?
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    I pulled up Edmund's TMV on a Rodeo LS 2wd and it's $1,000 below invoice!! What am I missing here? Is it really possible to purchase a Rodeo for $1,000 below invoice and get 0.0% financing for 60 months to boot?
    You can't have both. Not to mention that the TMV is pretty inaccurate.

-mike
    The intelligent susp have number of sensors that are linked to the shocks. Therefore, it's useless to get the intel. susp option if you plan to replace the shocks.

I have tried the intelligent susp. on a short trip and the ride is evidently SOFTER on bumps and dips while eliminating too much bouncing and brake dives and axcess tendency to lean when cornering compared to the OEM shocks.

However, reviews on it indicated that it's too soft and bouncy (?) on really rough trails.

The monroe matic that I used is not as soft on big bumps than the intel. susp but aside from that, the difference are not obvious to me (IMHO).

I still think, you'll be happy with the intel. susp because it's very comfortable especially on long drives.

I don't have answers to your other questions.
    Radmd
    Get the '01 lse instead of the '00. You'd be doing them a favor if you bought the '00. For pretty much the same money, you'd know where the first 5k miles are going to be.
    The isuzu web site is pretty good on stating what isuzu covers under warrantee. (actually I think it is the only car manufacturer that puts that stuff in English).
    I have had no problems with my '00 rodeo (except for the ce light when the gas cap wasn't tightened).
    If the dealership really wanted to get the '00 off the books, they would wheel and deal. Offer them $18k and see if the throw you out.
  • yuri2iyuri2i Member Posts: 2
    After I bought 2001 Rodeo, I've read about breaking problem, and I was lucky to have a snowstorm at the next day.
    I believe this is fixed on 2001, as I did try it on the snow, wet rout and it perform very well
    And anti lock works just fine.
    I like manual transmission. Aside from getting better gas milage (well, 1mpg, doesnt make any difference), it's simply different now that everyone drives an automatic. Just a feeling of kicking it into gear :) I'm going to try to talk a dealer into talking to the headquarters about building me one. Not sure how successfull that will be. Have you heard of anyone putting a hard top onto the original soft top model?
    Andrei
    I think there are a bunch of places that make hardtops to fit the softtop versions of the Rodeo-sport and Amigos. Try a place that does hardtops for wranglers.

-mike
  • crp_2099crp_2099 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Rodeo LS and the brakes are squeaking loudly. I ask the dealer if they had something that could take the problem away and they said the brakes are hard and squeak alot. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem of the brakes squeaking and if so do you have a resolution.
    thanks
  • gte463fgte463f Member Posts: 3
    I am seriously considering purchasing a 2001 Rodeo LS 2WD, so I drove one today. I thought everything was great (handling, braking, acceleration, etc.) especially considering the wet pavement we had in Atlanta today. Anyway, on tight turning tests that I gave the car, I heard a loud scraping/rubbing sound that seemed to be coming from the wheel wells (CV Joint?). Does anyone have this problem with a new Rodeo? Thanks for the help.
    The 2WD doesn't have CV joint at the front. The sound is most likely the new tires that tend to be squeeky when new, espcially when making u-turns (I had similar experience when mine was new). There's nothing to worry about that.
  • dcbryandcbryan Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I am currently looking to buy a used 1997 LS with 46K in immaculate condition. He's asking $10,400 and said he would take $10,000. This seems too good to be true. Should I be suspicious or should I jump on it?
  • gte463fgte463f Member Posts: 3
    When looking to add parts, does anyone have a website or catalog they prefer for brush guards, running boards, alloys, any extras, etc. or would you go with the dealer-installed options? They seem to be a little pricey. I was quoted 695 for a black brush guard installed and 495 for step tubes.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The IIHS has tested both the previous generation Isuzu Rodeo (the one you currently drive), as well as the 2000-01 Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport. You may be interested in the reports:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96004.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/00014.htm

Here is the entire overview of all of the SUVs that the IIHS has tested:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midsuv.htm

While this is only one aspect that you should consider WRT safety, the test is a good indicator of the strength of the vehicle's structure and the safety cage in a severe accident:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/offset.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/def.htm

Hope this helps a little in your search!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards