Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Even edmunds is probably not perfect. Only your manual will specify what you NEED to do, especially to maintain the warranty.

-mike
  • felberfelber Member Posts: 4
    I recently installed monroe matic shocks on my rodeo. I was wondering if anyone could help me out on some part #'s for some rancho shocks.

Don't get me wrong, Ilove the monroes. I just want to see how much better the rancho shocks are.

I called A-1 shocks and he said they didn't have any for the 98's and up, just the 97. Is this true or are there any other years that would fit my 2002.

FYI 98-2002 are all the same.

can anyone help or am I out of luck on the rancho's?
    thanks
  • ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/53

Part numbers and how to install above^

• 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    Ryanendres, I'm not sure it's safe to "modify" the shocks. The link you provided seems to confirm the possibility of damage.
  • austinsedonaaustinsedona Member Posts: 15
    I bought some 17" axiom wheels for my 99 rodeo and the centerbore is too small to fit on the front. I've been told that isuzu actually has two different centerbore sizes for the axiom and one will fit my model rodeo. Does anyone know if these wheels will fit a later model rodeo?
    Folks have been using that part number of Rancho's for 5yrs now. Hundreds of folks have used them along with OME springs to lift there trucks. Is it safe? I sure hope so since both:

http://www.darlington-offroad.com/

and

http://www.independent4x.com/

have been selling those exact shocks for years. Hope I didn't shock you with this info ;)

-Ryan

I bet that it's different for 4wd v. 2wd models.

-mike
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    If you can get the specs for the Rodeo shocks, you can look up the Rancho specs at http://www.gorancho.com/products/applications.stm

Shock Specifications show the different codes for mounting bushings and sleeves. 2001 Catalog Specifications, parts 1 & 2 lists the different shocks by part number, upper and lower mounts, lengths, etc.

You could even go to their web site and submit a question about your application.

http://www.gorancho.com/contactinfo.stm

Hum.... Also checked at shockwarehouse. Their application guide lists different shocks 2000 & 1997 Rodeos. Not sure what the difference is since I can't find the specs on-line for Monroe.

Is different, totally different suspension on it. Leaf springs etc.

'98-02 are the same though.

-mike
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Does anyone know where you can get split outer CV joint boots for a Rodeo. I have checked with several places and can't find anyone who can even get them on special order. BTW my Rodeo is a 95.5 apparently the design changed with the midyear change. I would prefer the type that are glued together, but I take most anything at this point.

Normally I would get the standard boots, and take the time to do the job right, but accoring to my manual there are flanges that are a press fit on the inner end of the driveshaft, that must be removed to take off the inner joint because the outer joint is non seviceable. What a complete pain in the ***.

For anyone that is interested, I found my torn CV boot last weekend while I was changing the clutch. That job wasn't any fun either, but considering the shop wanted $550 for the labor I think it was time well spent.
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I have discovered really weird "feature" yesterday and thought that somebody might be interested to know about it. I noticed several months ago that outside mirrors don't move to the upper right direction. I blamed it to the control unit and took it to the dealer. The first dealer said they "couldn't duplicate the problem" and "there's nothing wrong with the car." Well, that dealer messed up two times on oil changes for me, so I didn't take them seriously. Yesterday I took it to another dealer for an oil change and mentioned this problem. They did say that the control unit was defective and replaced it. However, when I picked it up, I realized that it still does the same thing. They took it back to the shop and called me couple hours later saying that it's normal operation and "the motors designed in such a way that there is no movement in that direction." I didn't buy it at first simply because if it's true on left mirror, it should be reversed on the other one, but it was always the upper right direction. When I stopped to pick it up for the second time, I asked one of the sales people to let me in the brand new Rodeo that they had on the lot. Well, as weird as it sounds, it did the same thing. I tried a brand new '02 and tried to adjust the mirrors (both left and right) by pressing the control switch in the upper right corner and it didn't move a bit. Still doesn't make much sense to me but that's the deal. The sales person was really confused too and said that "no way he is telling that to his customers."
  • bahmedbahmed Member Posts: 66
    ziemann, as per the www.isuzu.com, you can get the service manuals at.

To order Isuzu service or owner's manuals:
    Helm, Inc.
    1-800-782-4356
    www.helminc.com

Hope this helps.
  • bcottrellbcottrell Member Posts: 4
    Hey folks.. A friend of mine told me about this place. Thought I would give it a shot. I have a 95 Isuzu Rodeo and just recently the check enging light came on at the same time the speedometer and odometer competely stopped working. I am assuming that is why the check enging light came on. I am relying on my rpm's to gauge my speed and its sucks. All of my other gauges work just fine and the the engine runs great. Any suggestions on what to check and how to fix my delima without taking it to the shop would be really appreciated. If you need anymore info let me know.. Thanks!
  • anthony2nanthony2n Member Posts: 48
    My speedometer cable and/or gearing (can't remember) broke a few years ago. It gave me the same symptoms. I had it fixed under warranty. The check engine light is a symptom of the speedometer problem, not a separate problem.
    If anybody has any suggestions on how I can check the speedometer cable and gearing myself that would be great. At least now I know what to tell the mechanic if I have to take it into the shop (thanks anthony2n).
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    promopete-

I bought my 2001 Rodeo from McKinzey-Bond (Southwest Houston) in March 2001. I have had the vehicle in for service only once since then for the 15K service and a check engine light (loose gas cap). My service advisor, Sean, was very courteous and helpful.

Where did you have your Rodeo serviced?
    95 Rodeo: Just posted yesterday with a speedometer/check engine light problem. Posts 814 and 816. Well, this morning my Rodeo quit running on me right as I got off the interstate. Had to get it towed off the side of the exit. Symptoms: I can start the engine just fine and can keep the engine running as I've got the gas pedel pressed. But as soon as I let off the gas the engine dies. All my gauges with the exception of the speedometer/odometer seem to be working. Does this sound like a fuel pump problem maybe? If not, anybody have a similar experience and can give me some insite? Thanks!
  • potstickerpotsticker Member Posts: 4
    I am the owner of a 98 rodeo, I have had three fuel pumps replaced in the year and a half that I have had the vehicle. All times it wouldn't start at all, it would turn over strong, but wouldn't catch and stay running. I dont' even want to talk about the issue of mine, but I don't think yours sounds like a fuel pump.
    ssia
    I don't think the problem is fuel pump either. We had similar problem on '89 Maxima that we used to own several years ago. The car would die at every stop light. We took it to the dealer - it was a painful experience having to drop it to "N" and keep pressing the gas pedal at every stop light. It turned out to be the "air flow meter." As I understand it, the gas was not quite mixing with air properly and that caused an engine to stall. On my Rodeo, when it was brand new, I had a problem when it would start and RPM's would immediately go to almost zero causing an engine to stall often. If I kept them high for 10-15 seconds - it would run flawless after that. Dealer had to reprogram "the computer" to fix it, but as I understand the censor that had to be reprogrammed was controlling the air flow as well.
    Anybody knows if they make a repair manual for '01 Rodeo? I couldn't find anything in Chilton selection or anywhere else. Thanks...
    www.helminc.com The CD version is like 125.00. Well worth it if you plan on keeping your SUV for awhile.

Also, read up about it here:

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002582.html

• ksharringtonksharrington Member Posts: 4
    I am considering purchasing a new 2002 Rodeo. They currently have $4000 cash and they also list 0% financing for up to 72 months. Nowhere do they state that these are mutually exclusive offers. Hence, it appears I can get the $4000 and the 0%. Does anyone know if this is true?
    0% OR $4K cash incentives is the rule IIRC.

-mike
    Thanks! I'll look it up...
  • willie340willie340 Member Posts: 59
    i have a 2002 rodeo 4w drive. can i use the 4 wheel drive at high speeds and for an extended lenght of time.also i have a power button ,what does that do? thanks
    You can use it at high speeds, but not on pavement, you must use it on mud/snow/dirt/sand.

-mike
    Don't forget that you need to switch to 4WD before you get to speed of 40-45mph
  • hopster1hopster1 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if there was a recall on the ABS system for the Rode/Passports for 1999? I have a 99 Passport EX with leather and love the thing but I've had problems with the ABS light coming on. The dealer says I need to replace one of the sensors and it's going to cost me $350.

Also wanted to know if anyone else is hearing a rattle when accelerating? My Passport has been making this tinny rattle for months. Brought it to two dealers and they checked and said they think it is a baffle in the muffler. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    You can shift on the fly in Isuzus up to 64mph.

-mike
    I'm not sure the '99 has the recall, I know the '98 does.

The rattle is either the muffler or heat shield. Somewhat common problem as far as I know.

-mike
    Mike, I suppose you can, but on mine it takes a while to shift if I do that at over 45-50 mph
  • steve_onsteve_on Member Posts: 70
    Been trying to look for a 02/03 Rodeo LSE out here in LA. I've checked out a few dealers and nothing to be found. Quite a few Axioms, and the short one, but no LSE's.

Anyone know if Isuzu is planning to stay in business or what?

What's the deal?
  • willie340willie340 Member Posts: 59
    My 2002 rodeo is consuming excessive amounts of oil. Can someone tell me how dealers test for oil consumption? There is only 15,000 km on the motor, it was a test car from the dealer. It must of been driven hard.

Thanks,
    I think the deal is that you have to take your truck in say once a week and the dealer will chart the oil useage. If it is more then 1qt/1000 miles you should get a new engine. If your at 0.9qt/1000 miles well your within spec, according to the manual.
    -Ryan
  • jumpinjsjumpinjs Member Posts: 2
    I have an 01 Rodeo with radio/cassette and want to install a CD player or changer. I few new and used OEM units show up from time to time on ebay, and Im wondering what impressions/experiences people have with the stock Isuzu cd players or changers? I like the in dash models but have heard they are not very reliable, especially the 6-cd changer. Appreciate any info, thanks in advance.
  • hopster1hopster1 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 99 Passport and purchased the 6 disc indash CD player ($800 installed). It started malfunctioning so I brought it into my dealer and they said that it would cost me $250 and they would send it to the manufacturer. It would take about 6 weeks and I would either have a refurbished one or get this one back fixed. I rarely used it but thought I'd get it for it's resale value. Now I wish I hadn't. I called Isuzu and they said they would do the same thing. If I had to do it over again I would buy from a local stereo installer as I believe they would stand behind their product better than Honda/Isuzu.
    Way to many folks have had these replaced. Use that amount of money and buy an aftermarket head unit (which you may already have to do if your stock unit will not control the extra add on cd player). And you'll still have some $ left over for some new speakers. I was at the same point you were 2yrs ago. The stock speakers will handle the extra power nicely!
    -Ryan
  • jumpinjsjumpinjs Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for the advice on the Isuzu CD players. Ill start looking for an after market unit and ignore the stock units on ebay.
    --JS
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    The newer unit (2001-2002)? is much more reliable than the older 6 disc changer. It has a one piece faceplate that also contains the radio and tape player. The older model was a two piece with a separate faceplate for the radio and tape. The newer model will also fit the '98 - 2000 Rodeo's and Amigos. I bought one from a stolen-stripped 2001 Rodeo at a salvage yard and put it in my '98 Amigo and it works great. I also have one in my 2001 Rodeo and it has also been flawless. I have heard nothing but bad things about the older unit but the newer unit seems fine to me.
  • rodeo_ownerrodeo_owner Member Posts: 1
    The title says it all. One night backing out of the door yard the ABS pump turned on and would not shut off. The ABS appeared to be working ok the few times they were called upon. I ended up pulling the fuse to shut the pump off. Anyone have a similar issue/resolution. Does anyone know where I can get a block diagram/schematic of the system?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    I am currently in progress of trying to buy a cargo cover for my '01 Rodeo and having a lot of problems... very unexpected I should say. 4 out of 5 of my local dealers couldn't locate one in Beige color and said they don't exist, which is a complete BS. One dealer did locate it, but after I waited for two weeks and called them to get the status on my order, it turned out to be Back Ordered till end of January. Knowing how good Isuzu service / parts is, I doubt it'll be here even in Jan. I looked around and found one on eBay, but only in grey.
    I called Honda and they can special order one for Passport, but if it doesn't fit, I'll get stuck with it as it would be a special order - read: not refundable. They said the same item would fit 2000 and 2001 Passport, but I want to be sure it would fit Rodeo as well. Any suggestions? Does anybody knows where to get one? I am thinking about going to Honda dealership and ask somebody to get it out of a used one on their lot to try it out, but I'd rather get an Isuzu one... Local junk yards don't have anything. They basically laugh at me when I say that I need a part for a 2 years old car.
    Pull the ABS fuse and take it to the dealer, they will fix it for free. This is a common problem on the 99 Rodeo.

www.alldata.com has a TSB on it. Also do a google search on 99 rodeo abs and you will find the masses of folks with the same problem.

-Ryan
    Try st.charles Isuzu. There should be a link in the vendor section on http://isuzu-suvs.com they are the best parts dealer for isuzus in the country and will ship no-charge to you.

-mike

Thanks Mike,

I called them up. They only have grey. So far I was only able to locate one dealer who acknowledged the existance of that part in beige. I think I'll call that dealer (they actually the ones who got it backordered for me) and try to get the part number. My guess, though, is that whoever else I call is going to say that they have to order it and then call me back saying it was back ordered.
  • jenningsmjenningsm Member Posts: 8
    As some of you know, I have a 2001 Rodeo S that I bought about a year ago... I have power door locks, and would like to retrofit remote entry. I have two of the remote control "blippers", and I've read the 'programming procedure' (boy, if the desire was to make it tough to accidentally reporpgram it, it sure works !)
    But I realise that there is probably some sort of receiver unit that I would have to buy and install. The question is:
    Could it be considered a DIY job, or am I better off letting a dealer handle it ??

any suggestions appreciated
    best, Mike J.
  • davidbeaudavidbeau Member Posts: 1
    Boris, My 2000 Bronze LSE came with a beige cargo cover. While storing the cover in the garage it fell in an oil change pan with oil in it. Its ruined. I was unable to find anything but gray so far too. So if you find out how or where to get a beige please pass it along. Thanks, David.
  • dstezaladstezala Member Posts: 6
    I have a 96 Rodeo LS w/ a V6 that I bought used two years ago w/ 80,000 miles on it. It has burned 3 ignition coils on the same cylinder and this time I think the plug was "shot" out of the cylinder and stripped the threads because there was a few ounces of oil spit out from under the coil and I can't seem to get the plug out of the cylinder. I had just changed a burned coil (thinking that was all there was to the problem) and 45 mins later I was driving on the expressway and I heard the rubber boot part of the coil burning (clicking noise) in the cylinder. I looked at it right away and saw the damage. Who knows what I should do next?
    Just saw this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874379645

buy it now for 54.45!!!

-Ryan

• shuttsmeupshuttsmeup Member Posts: 3
    Need a recommendation for a medium priced ($200- $300) aftermarket CD Player for my '97 Rodeo.

I already have the facotory installed "Premium" tape player/radio with a CD button on it, so I'm hoping I can add a CD player fairly easily. Hopefully I can install it in the "accessory pocket", and connect to either the round connector jack on the back of the radio, or the rectangular wiring harness plugged into the back of the factory radio...

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS
    Mike