Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    Anybody interested in purchasing the stock rims from my '01 SE?

I am looking to get some 15 inch rims and 30.5 x 10.5 tires. If you want I'll even leave the stock duelers on the rim. They have about 12,000 miles on them.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    lspangler,

This is probably not the best forum for trying to sell personal items. You might try a classified ad in your local newspaper instead.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    lspangler:
    A 265/70R16 tire measure almost the exact same size as a 30.5 x 10.5. (30.6 x 10.4 to be exact)

It would save you the hassle of selling/buying new rims.
  • jeffho830jeffho830 Member Posts: 9
    Posted 2 messages concering Pathfinder headlight upgrade, didn't see any respond yet. Can someone give me some insight on this. I was thinking if I can transfer the HID headlight from the QX4 to the Pathfinder? Is it a just buy part from Infiniti dealer and plug it into Pathfinder type of upgrade or is there more to it? Also if it needs some works. What is there do be done to get that set of headlights working on the Pathfinder? I just want to know the process to see if I should keep looking for alternative. Thanks.

Jeff
    Hi, was at a dealer's part department picking up the rear wind deflector for my LE Pathfinder and noticed a spoke style rims and asked the sales person how much it is. He said it's $275 a piece and it's from the Maxima SE. Was wondering if the Maxima rims would fit the Pathfinder? Also would the rims handle ok with the weight of the Pathfinder? I'm just curious, if I want a different set of rims, do I need to find the rims that is specificly for SUV or any alloy rims will do? Thanks for the helps.

Jeff

P.S.: Had the LE Pathfinder for over 6 months and just found out this forums. So had been unloading all the questions I had since I got the Pathfinder. Thanks.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I don't know the answer. It's a good question. It would have been a good question for the parts department person while you were there ...
  • dakmaybedakmaybe Member Posts: 10
    Hey all, am new here, first post. Am looking for veh to replace 89 accord. Need veh to serve as day to day as well as tow 16' aluminum fishing boat on wknds in Mass. Would like to find veh to combine car & truck to serve both tasks. Never owned nissan. The posts here are incredibly positive toward the PF. Only very minor problems here. Can you all sway me toward the PF? Have not test driven yet. How great is it? towing? comfort? cargo? lookin for assist....tanks
    Welcome to the Town Hall, dakmaybe! I am sure some of the experienced "oldtimers" will be happy to provide you with the information you need.

We're looking forward to hearing more from you!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I'm looking at the BFG All terrains and if I get them for a 15 inch rim, they are $380 cheaper than the same size tires for a 16 inch rim. If I could sell my original rims, it would help pay for new rims and for the same cost as the tires in 16" size I'd have new tires and new rims.

It's to bad we can't list things for sale in the PF owners section. We could then see a listing of anything for sale to fit our vehicles.
  • cmerhycmerhy Member Posts: 1
    Just returned from a long drive (Boston - Toronto) with my brand new 2002 PathFinder SE. Overall very pleased with the SUV, with the exception of excessive wind noise. Feels like the db are quite elevated at highway speeds. Is this the case with this SUV or do I have a problem with my seals?

As an additional question - does anyone know what the filement line down the center of the windsheild is used for? It looks like an antenna line, but I have an external one on the car.

Thanks,

CM
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    HID's-jeffho830,
    Try this other forum, they have been bouncing the HID question around for some time.http://www2.4x4parts.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=6

Looking for info-dakmaybe,
    Coming from a family that has driven Honda's, 2 Jeeps, 2 VW's and a a Volvo. they Pathy is a close tie with the Volvo in terms of build quality, and it is MUCH better than the Jeeps. The 250hp on our 01'SE pull a utility trailer w/2k lbs. like a jetski. Don't go drive one unless you are serious about buying it, cause you might loose the interest you have in other vehicles ;-)

BFG's-lspangler,
    Yeah I know the pain. I about died when I found out that they were running better than $160 a corner. I was also dissapointed that due to their softer compound, users only were getting 35k-45k out of them. good luck. You also should hit the above mentioned forum, I occasionally see postings about personal sales of items in there.

Excessive wind Noise-cmerhy,
    Try moving the top rack crossbars back a bit, that should help. The line down the center of the windshield is a "Diversity Antenna". It helps filter out noise and weak signals from FM band broadcasts-especially in crowded downtown metropolitan areas w/large buildings
  • kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    I have 99.5 PF. I've just changed my tires and still I'm getting shimmy from braking. So I guess my rotors need to be changed. Warped rotor only happens to the front brakes right? Anyone know how much do they cost? plus the installation. Place to get or get an OEM rotors?
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Pretty sure roof rack cross bars are the problem. Mine are all the way back and noise isn't too bad till you get about 55/60MPH then it gets progressively worse. One solution; remove cross bars for extended high speed trips. (Easy to do with Canadian bars, not sure about US style.) Sure, it doesn't look as cool, so take your choice.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Hi,

We just returned from a LONG drive Toronto - Florida and back, total 5400 km = 3200 miles.

Lovely ride ... smooth powerful engine but:
    - high wind noise
    - 300 miles to the tank
    - dead on-center steering feel

Questions:
    - Anyone try using the GE "Super Blue" headlights? I purchased a pair at Walmart and will be installing them this weekend.
    - Using 87 octane fuel "seemed" to make the engine run rougher and accelerate anemically; anyone else notice this?
    - Vibration is felt on the steering wheel at highway speeds of approx 60-70 mph ONLY when AUTO mode is selected (not 2 wheel drive).

Thanks in advance!
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    The HID's from the QX4 won't fit the Pathfinder. Different size. But in New Zealand and Japan Nissan is selling a version of the Pathfinder (Terrano) with HID's. But they are right-hand drive of course. I've not found a LHD country with the HID's yet. Any suggestions? Also I've not seen the RHD units, so I have no idea if they can be converted.
    -Jon
  • nichelrenichelre Member Posts: 2
    I have happily owned 4 Nissans (still have three now) and am seriously considering buying an '02 pathfinder this spring or summer. I have followed earlier posts about LSD but wonder if I really need it for mainly on road midwest (chicago area Wisconsin) driving. I really want to buy a base LE with AWD but to get LSD you need leather pkg which I do not want. I am seriously thinking of buying an SE instead with the sunroof and popular package just to be able to get LSD but would rather get the same equipment and more in the base LE for a little more money (without LSD). Would this be a big mistake not having LSD for limited snow/gravel/rain driving (no moderate or serious off roading but may occasionally tow my 20' power boat). I would appreciate any and all comments and experiences as I do not want to make a $30k mistake. My goal is to get the Pathy experience but keep the cost down as I have two kids in college.

Another question is how well does the pathy AWD/4wd work compared to a 4-runner (my second choice but they're very dated and way too expensive in my opinion for what you get compared to Pathy plus Nissan always deals).

Thanks!
  • yrideyride Member Posts: 21
    Am I missing something here? I have PIAA Extreme White bulbs in my headlamps and fogs. They work great! I have never been in a car with HID, but I have driven next to many. Seems like the same amount of light on the road. Why pay $1000 when you can get the same result for $100?
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    Awhile back there was a lot of interest about protecting the radiator. The interest is lukewarm now.

Send me an email at bradbkh@hotmail.com. I will just email the pics to you. If there was gtr interest, I'd build a website and post the pics to it.

What's is a HID?
  • snookloversnooklover Member Posts: 6
    After owning a 1995 Pathfinder 4wd SE and enjoying the Vehicle, I made the mistake of selling it because it had 150K. I then had SUV withdrawal and purchased a 1997 Pathfinder 4wd XE with 78k.What a mistake!!!!!! I am getting 12/13 mpg in a mixture of city/highway in a suv that doesn't have much more power than the old model, the cd player is broken, and one of the driver seat tracks is broken, and the steering wheel vibrates at around 55 mph!.I want to unload this lemon and purchase a 2002 Honda CRV. They have just as much room as a Pathfinder, handles much better and gets 28 mpg on the highway with much more pick up than the older pathfinders. I definitely suggest if you don't plan on towing anything big, to go test drive the new CRV.They definitely don't have the "masculinity" of a Nissan, but gas can't stay cheap forever. Anyway, has anyone else had problems with gas rapings on their Pathfinders and what might be causing the problems? Also, I'm asking $9,900 for my Pathfinder which is $1000 less than internet private party pricing. Is that a fair price? Thanks in advance for your replies/comments.
  • kpt_krunchkpt_krunch Member Posts: 21
    "- Using 87 octane fuel "seemed" to make the engine run rougher and accelerate anemically; anyone else notice this?"

I thought your engine was rated as "Premium Fuel Only". What do you expect? They don't put that on there because of a secret deal with the oil companies (although I'm sure that there are some people out there who think that). You do realize that there is special fuel for Jet engines, for Formula one engines, etc. And YOUR engine is designed to run on PREMIUM fuel, not 87 octane fuel.

BTW - you better check your warranty too ballfire, if you get any engine damage due to excessive 'knocking' because you cheaped out to use a lower grade fuel, I'm almost certain Nissan will not honor the warranty.

I guess the bottom line is if you buy a vehicle that requires PREMIUM fuel, well, why would you if you intend on being cheap and put regular gas in. My guess is either you're on a short lease or you do not intend on keeping your vehicle very long.
    Hi, went back to the dealer and asked about the Maxima SE rim to see if it'll fit the Pathfinder. The parts dept guys just said it will not work. I asked him is it because it's different lugs pattern or the rims won't take the weight. He just keeps on saying it's for Maxima only. Can anyone confirm if this set of rims will works and take the weight of the Pathfinder? Thanks.

Jeff
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    Being a Chicagoland 01 LE (with LSD) owner, I might be able to give you a little advise. It sounds like you have to chose between Limited slip vs. AWD. Unless you're looking at serious off-roading, stick with the AWD and the buy the LE. I would guess the number of days you'll want the LSD is less then 5, while the AWD you'll use more like 40-50 days a year. Not a scientific study here, just my opinion. The AWD is a great feature not just in snow, but in the rain as well. With the PF's power, I find it very easy to spin the rear wheels when it's wet, and the AWD basically eliminates that. Or just follow lofquist's advise and go to Canada for an SE with AWD.
  • austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    Jeff most of the reasons why the Maxima wheel will not work is the design and offset of the wheel itself. The Maxima wheel was designed for a normal passenger car while the Pathfinder requires more of a truck style. Truck wheels generally have less of an offset and built with a truck in mind(beefier).

BTW, for $275ea per wheel, you can get a pretty nice and better built wheel made by an aftermarket wheel company.

my $.02

Bryan
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    HID stands for "High Intensity Discharge". It is basically an "arc" lamp, in a "noble" gas, usually zenon. They have a near-blue colour, hence all the look-alike bulbs you can buy to make it look like you have $2000 headlamps. HID lamps require special "ballasts" or electronic drivers - they run on very high voltages. They are very efficient, and draw much less current than equivalent brightness quartz halogen bulbs - around 3-4 Amps compared to 7-8 Amps for halogen. The big drawback is they are low beam only or high beam only. I haven't seen a vehicle with both. If you have HID low beams, what's the point of the halogen high beams? They would be much less effective (I believe this is the gripe of many Q45 owners).

Lately, I've seen some states talking of banning them. I think they are not legal in some countries already.

Check in the "accessories" list, as there is a topic on them there.
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Any one who has a Sun Roof should install the Nissan Sun Roof Deflector.

Also for the Windows, try the WeatherTech Wind & Rain Deflectors.(from www.macneilauto.com),(800 441 6287).

The story is, After installing the Above,on a trip from NYC to Ottawa, Canada, the noise level was just fine . Because I was averaging 80-100 mph. And my SE 5spd wanted more. So I reach the cut off point around 117mph on two occasions.

The weathertech wind deflectors are very easy to install but the base which touches the outside window rubber, (the front windows only) is very sharp and it needs to be smooth out or put a small electric tape over it before installing .

Also, All new drivers of an SUV do experience more than the normal wind noise, all because of the high ground clearance of the SUV than a normal car.
    fuLL5.
    pathstar,

The big drawback is they are low beam only or high beam only. I haven't seen a vehicle with both

Another big drawback is that they are, at least, very annoying to many drivers when the HIDs are in oncoming traffic - which is why anyone would consider banning them!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    There's a 99% chance that the Max wheels won't fit on your 4500 lb. SUV. The Pathfinder has 6 lugs spaced at 5.5" apart (6-5.5" wheel), and wheel sizes range from 15x6.5 to 16x7, depending on what year and model you got. As mentioned in an earlier post, the wheel offset (how much the wheel sticks out past the lug nuts) is positive (meaning that the lugs are closer to the outboard side of the wheel rather than the inboard side).

I dont know much about the Maxima wheel you saw, but I bet its probably a 5-lug wheel (which means it wont fit a 6-lug hub) and a different offset. I havent seen any passenger cars that have 6-lug wheels.

Maybe you can find a wheel from American Racing, Eagle Alloy, etc. (visit ) that looks like the Max's wheel.

The LSD is useful in slippery conditions, such as snow, rain, mud, or ice, where one wheel on each axle does not have sufficient traction to move the vehicle. Any 4WD that has 2 open differentials will be stuck if a front tire and a rear tire do not have traction, for instance 2 left wheels on pavement, 2 right wheels on solid ice. In this case, 4WD could be better defined as 2-axle drive, because not necessarily all 4 wheels can ALWAYS move the vehicle.
    The LSD allows a limited amount of engine power to be sent to the rear wheel that has traction (i.e. the one on pavement), so you kind of have 2 1/2 wheels spinning. That last 1/2 is what gets you going.
    You can pretty much get away with a non-LSD-euqipped truck if you remember to avoid situations in which one rear wheel and one front wheel have significantly reduced (read: ZERO) traction.
    Alternatively, you could visit the xterraownersclub.com message board and see if any xterra owner is willing to sell you a 'lightly used' LSD for pennies on the dollar. (Several Xterra owners have replaced their LSDs with an aftermarket locking differential, and the X diff is the same as the PF diff.)
  • mmvommvo Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 1998 Pathfinder SE, just off lease with a little over 36K miles on it. So far, I really like the vehicle. 19MPG highway on 87 octane gas with no knocks or pings. I almost made the mistake of buying a 1999 Jeep Cherokee, but after reading posts from angry owners and actually driving one, I quickly changed my mind. Put a deposit on a 2002 Honda CRV, which is a great vehicle, but it never came in when the dealer said it would (I was in a rental car, so the date mattered) so I moved on to the PF. Very glad it worked out this way.
  • 01path01path Member Posts: 5
    I love this message board! It has helped me out in the past and I am looking for some help again. I recently noticed some tiny reddish-orange "specks" on my 2001 Pathfinder SE (Sierra Silver). They look like "rust dust". I don't think there is a paint defect as the specks are on the molding as well as the doors, rear lift gate and bumper. It is extremely difficult to remove the spots. I have tried bug and tar remover but have found using my fingernail works better. However, I am not thrilled at doing this for what seems like 100 or more specks, and I don't want to risk damaging the paint. As a result, I have three primary questions:

1) Does anyone know what caused this? I have owned the vehicle for 6 months (since new), but have never noticed this in the past. I live in Michigan where we have been getting a lot of snow, but I don't that snow (or the road salt) is the culprit. I also don't think any sort of acid rain fallout is responsible either as there are no spots on my hood or roof.

2) Is there a product available that can remove these spots without harming the vehicle's finish? As I mentioned before, I have really only tried Bug & Tar remover so far.

3) Is there a wax or polish available that can treat the painted surface to make it more difficult for the rust spots to adhere (or make it easier to remove them in the future)?

Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the help!

Mike
  • fossfatefossfate Member Posts: 12
    is awd really that much better than shift-on-the-fly? I have a dilemma, I found 2 pathys
    I can go "gently" used 2001 LE 4wd or spend $3,000 more and get a 2002 LE AWD. the 4wd system is what I'm hung up on. -beside the fact that the 2001 doesn't smell new any more :)

please give me arguments for both systems.

thanks so much!
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    I doubt your spots are actually rust - rust comes from under the paint, they are probably better desribed as rust colored spots of paint or debris of some sort that splashed up on, or near the area you were parked or driving in. You would be surprised at how far a little spray paint on a windy day will travel and still stick. In any event, to get rid of the spots try using a glaze - I use 3M Hand Glaze. It is designed for clear coat, and is non abrasive. It will also do wonders on swirl marks and any other scrathes or scuffs you encounter. A good coat of wax will make the situation less traumatic in the future - try Mother's pure carnuba, smells great, works well, and easy to work with.
  • winnyvwinnyv Member Posts: 30
    You can also try Clay Magic or Mothers clay bar to remove this contamination from the paint. I use Liquid Glass afterward to protect the paint.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    There's a huge difference, IMO. Primarily, of course, you can use AWD on dry pavement whereas you cannot use PT 4WD on anything but a slippery surface.

I think the best example of its use is when you're driving on a road where the conditions are changing...some snow cover, then dry/wet (but no snow) then snow again, etc. With AWD, you leave it on all the time under these conditions and if one axle slips, the other picks it up.

You can also use it in rainy conditions and you can't do that with PT 4WD.

In fact, some folks leave it on all the time. It does reduce your mpg somewhat (and perhaps incur some extra wear) but you can.

I have a '01 LE and it was a major reason for me to move up from the SE. I'm glad I did.
  • brian60brian60 Member Posts: 76
    I couldn't find a silver LE 4x4 with LSD when I was shopping for PFs - so I got one without. After 2.5 years and 39k miles with frequent winter trips to Tahoe and some light off-roading, I have never found myself stuck in a situation that 4wd couldn't get me out of - even with the stock tires. Now that I have some beefy Michelin Cross-Terrain SUVs on my Pathy, it is a lot harder to break the rear tires loose, it would be harder still with AWD. In summary, I don't think you should let lack of LSD be a sticking point, but if it was me, I'd probably head up to Canada for the extra features and rediculous savings.

Good luck.
  • yrideyride Member Posts: 21
    I recommend the clay bar for your spots. I got my silver SE in June and haven't gotten to a proper wax until today. Used the Zaino products and I do like them. Clay bar took out similar spots in my paint and cleaned significant abrasiveness from the entire paint surface. Be forewarned, it was some work going over the entire car with a clay bar. Now that its done, I can say with beer in hand, it was worth it. By the way, the Zaino wax is easy to apply and clear. It was my neglect which dictated the clay treatment. I expect much less effort in the future. Read prior posts on Zaino. Very popular here.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    I'll respectfully disagree with any bad comments about HID's. My other car is a new Audi and the HID's are fantastic (of course our sister the QX4 has them too). Far more lighting and better color definition than ever before. And with proper adjustment they will not bother oncoming traffic. The high beams are a sepatate conventional halogen bulb. Most of the "HID" problems that I see arise from fake blue replacement bulbs, or the installation of a true HID system into the existing light housing which sprays the light everywhere.

I think an LSD is a great addition to the truck. We could discuss the plusses and minusses for a long time. It's easy to make sure you get the LSD too - go up to Canada. All the Paths there have LSD, and you will save a few thousand to boot. See the dozens of posts above about doing this or drop me a line and I'll give you the info on how I did it.

-Jon
  • 01path01path Member Posts: 5
    To All,

Thanks for the suggestions regarding my paint troubles. I knew I could count on the members of this message board community! I will definitely try the hand glaze and/or clay bar to remove the spots. I think I will also use this as a good "excuse" to get the Zaino wax that everyone speaks so highly of.

Thanks again!

Mike
  • duperduper Member Posts: 127
    I have a '99 SE purchased without LSD. A few weeks ago I was in Tahoe, as I was trying to make a left turn (pretty sharp one)from a small street, one of my rear tire was sitting on ice. The tire was spinning as I stepped on the gas and the truck moved very little. Traffice was coming down so I had to pull the transfer case lever to put it into 4hi to get moving. But because the street I was turning to was dry pavement and I could feel the binding in the front and the rear gears while it's in 4hi. It was not a very fun feeling at all.

It happened a few times. What really annoying was that for many times, after I put it back into 2wd, the 4x4 light was still on. I had to stop and then go or move the shifter to turn off the light. I was sure that if the truck has LSD, I wouldn't need to put it in 4hi at all, the LSD would spin the tire on the dry pavement and get the truck moving.

After I got home, I purchased an used LSD from xplorx4 and replaced the open diff one.

It all depends on how you'll use the truck and what condition you'll be mostly in. For me, I wanted LSD because it will help with the condition I'm in.

As xplorx4 mentioned above, you can check www.xterraownersclub.com to see if any of the guy is selling theirs (probably around $100+ or so). The labor costs around $200.

• sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    bought 02 le in november. had dealer remove roof racks. drove from pa. to fl. 980 miles with no wind noise. i think it makes vehicle look better, easier to wash and wax. unless you use racks i think they are a pain and should be an option like the 4runner.
  • sabre66sabre66 Member Posts: 45
    I have a '01 Aspen White Pearl colored Pathfinder and have noticed similar yellow/organge colored spots appearing on the front of the Path over the last few months. The spots are only on the front facia and body molding, not the hood, roof or doors. I believe they are discolorations caused by bugs smashing on surface and bleeding onto the paint. If yours are concentrated on the front of the vehicle i'd guess it's the same problem. I have a couple spots that i cannot get the discoloration to go away regardless of what i've used to remove them, and since my paint is white i imagine i never will unless i use an abrasive product.

I also religously use Zaino Bros. products and have about 5 coats of Zaino on my Path (since purchased in June '01). Zaino is a great product and i highly recommend it (it does however take a lot more time to use).

Good luck,
    S-66
    Why does the Path get lower gas mileage in Auto 4wd mode? I've read reports that the differential doesn't engage the front wheels until it's required under slippery conditions and therefore remains a 2wd vehicle until needed. I've been using Auto on a daily basis lately since the temps have dropped and the weather has been changing from rain to sleet to snow, and i've noticed a 2-3 mpg gallon difference in gas mileage.

I could understand this if the vehicle was engaging the driveline and differential all the time for 4wd, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I tested the gas mileage in Auto on a trip from PA and also on a shorter local highway trip. Both were relatively dry days (minimal spots damp from melted snow or residual rain) and still found a discrepancy. The PA trip was about 235 miles of highway with half Auto mode and half 2wd with a resulting mpg of 17.4 mpg with 94 octane gas. Then i drove 110 miles on the highway entirely in Auto mode (Frederick, MD to Potomac Mills, VA and back) and averaged 16.0 mpg with 93 octane gasoline.

Any thoughts?

S-66
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I'm guessing in order for the all-mode to work, the front hubs have to be locked. Which means even though you may be only powering the rear wheels, the locked hubs are creating more resistance by turning the front differential etc. In 2wd mode, the front hubs would be unlocked, therefore the front differential, half shafts, and anything else that connects to the transfer case would not be engaged allowing for better mileage.

I've noticed on occasion while switching between auto and 2wd a slight thump in the drive line. I assume that is the front hubs locking/unlocking.
    Just my guess...
    Thanks for the response. You make a valid point about the hubs being locked and creating more resistance. I'm surprised that it has such a drastic effect on the gas mileage though. 2-3 mpg seems like a lot for a little added friction. I'd hate to see what it does to the mpg when run in 4wd Lo for a while.

I too have noticed the thump, but mine usually occurs when turning the Path's ignition off and not keeping the brake pedal depressed. The Path lurches a little and the driveline slack is felt. I'm assuming it's normal for 4wd differentials.

Thanks,
    S-66
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I expect dieselone has it right. Before my 2001 PF LE w/automode 4wd, I had a 99.5 PF LE with the part-time system. Even in 2wd, the front hubs were locked meaning that everything back to the transfer case was turning resulting in significant parasitic drag. A local dealer was doing a brisk business installing Warn manual hubs. When unlocked, they were significantly improving highway mileage (they claimed 15% which puts it in line with the 2-3 mpg stated above). I almost had it done, but then I traded it in for the 2001 with the automode.
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    Hello all!

It's been awhile since my last post - hope to continue posting more frequently from here on out.

I have a 2001 PF LE - I'm considering trading itor selling it during the next year or so. I love the truck - and I have not experienced any problems other than a couple minor problems w/ the 6 disc CD changer - but that's been fixed. I may even just keep it and give it to my wife (sell her Mustang) and buy another PF for me!

I live in Seattle, WA now and want to buy my next PF LE (hopefully the 2003 PF LE - if it's larger like rumored) in Canada (Vancouver). Jon - I know I'll have to contact you when I'm ready to buy - so be ready! :)

So, I just wanted to possibly get some real world trade-in values from anyone who has recently sold/traded in their 2001 PF LE. The edmunds site here lists somewhere around $22k for trade-in - and I think that is pretty good - but I'd still like to hear from individuals if possible.

BTW: Is the 2003 PF still supposed to be the bigger version - maybe Toyota Sequoia- like size?

Thanks!

Mike
    bunting44@hotmail.com
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Yes, I too would like to know the real world trade in values. Anyone here traded in your Pathy? From what I have heard used vehicle pricing has been low due to the 0% deals and low interest rate loans available. The used vehicle market has taken a beating the past few months. I'll beat they'll try to reduce the trade in values to offset their losses.

Dano
    All Pathfinders, 96-02, come with full-time front hubs from the factory. This applies to both part-time shift-on-the-fly systems and all-mode systems. What this means is that the entire front driveline (halfshafts, front diff, front driveshaft, etc.) are in motion whenever the front wheels are moving. The position of the t-case lever (or switch) has no relevance to the hubs being locked.
    It makes sense that manual or auto-locking hubs would increase mpg for 2WD use (part-time systems only), and in fact, my 97 LE gained an extra 1.5mpg with the addition of Warn manual hubs. AWD vehicles shouldn't install manual hubs, as this would defeat the purpose of AWD.
    It's more likely (and this is PURELY speculative) that AWD causes lower mpg because there is occasional slippage between the front and rear driveshafts, usually during cornering and turns, when the front driveshaft rotates slightly faster than the rear. (This is because the front tires travel a wider. longer arc than the rear tires.) This slippage activates the viscous clutches in the t-case, attempting to distribute engine torque evenly to both axles, increasing friction and reducing performance.
    I have no explanation other than this. Besides the activation of the viscous coupling in the t-case, there is no mechanical difference between 2WD and AWD modes.
    And naturally, 4LO will produce much lower gas mileage, since the engine has to rotate over twice as fast to produce the same wheel speed. Then again, when you're in 4LO gas mileage is probably the least of your concerns...
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    I'm no expert on this topic, but knowing a little about differentials, I have a thought. Is it possible that the decrease in mileage is because in awd the fluid in the center differential has to be "spun" in order to make the front wheels on-demand? That would fit xplorx4's explanation of the viscous coupling being the only difference between awd and 2wd. Any thoughts?
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    There is an extra load from the pump in the transmission that operates the FWD clutch. I don't know if this is the only extra load when in Auto mode and not slipping a wheel, but it's probably significant.

Another mileage thing I didn't believe when I bought my Pathfinder 1.5 years ago (it's a 2001 LE I got in June 2000). They say in the owners manual that using the air conditioner is more efficient than opening the windows. Sure enough, when traversing a mountain pass in B.C. I could control the decent speed by opening the windows, whereas with them closed and the A/C on the vehicle constantly sped up if the brakes were not periodically used.