Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Yeah I don't think it's unique to your ML. The MCS can't really be reprogrammed as far as the headlamps + MCS brightness goes. There is a light setting for the GPS function though, so you could play around with that too (it's usually set on auto).
    You can simply buy and cut out some vinyl to cover the centre portion of the rear floor. This is what I have and it covers the area perfectly.
    I'm not sure exactly what the noisy lifters would sound like with this engine, but I would think that it would be a loud and continuous tapping noise.

Gasoline engines sound nothing like diesel engines (the pitch and frequency is completely different) so I always find it odd when someone compares the ML gasoline engine to a diesel engine. If you listen to a domestic brand pickup truck's diesel engine...now THAT's a diesel!
    If you have an ML430, the rougher ride is caused partly because of the low profile tires and also because of the stiffer sidewall of the Grandtreks. This allows them be able to go off-road to a certain extent. The Cross Terrains, on the other hand, are advertised as providing the look of an SUV tire, but the ride of a passenger car tire. This is why they're smoother...they're not really off-roadable, but very heavily on-road biased. The Pirellis are performance tires, and almost completely unsuitable for snow.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    I use my '01 ML430 exclusively on-road and only when the Saints win the Superbowl will we ever get snow :) So that pretty much narrow down to Michelin Cross Terrain.
    Sounds like it (the Xterrains may be) a good choice for you. I'd wait for the new Dunlop SP5000 tires too...those are supposed to appear on the '02 MLs and will be more on-road biased than the Grandtreks.
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Anyone booked the 2002. What's the best price anyone has been able to get, particularly in NJ. After skipping ML for the past 4 years, I have to admit that with 2002, it does become a great value for money (S class V8-, SL class air conditioning, CL class Bi Xenon).I was totally unimpressed with the earlier interior & noise factor in ML 320 ( was looking at 320 at that time) with engine sounding like straining too hard, and ended up buying the E Wagon.
    Funny, the 3.2L V6 is also available in the S-class outside of N.America. ;-). The 4.3L V8 is the same one as in the S430.

As for the interior, if you didn't like it before (I assumed you looked at a MY2000 or newer), you may be disappointed now because it hasn't changed aside from the centre console cupholder, and the automatic climate control.

The MY2002 models will very in extremely short supply for the first several weeks of the launch, and prices are expected to be at MSRP for a while.

Drew
    Host
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I'm afraid I haven't heard about MB asking Britax-Roemer to create a BabySmart version of the of the Super Elite seat. As Drew says, Siemens developed the "tag" technology for BabySmart, and Britax (the German division, Britax-Roemer) builds the BabySmart seats for MB.

Fortunately, even if MB doesn't get a BabySmart version of the Super Elite, one could use the BabySmart toddler seat up to a certain age, and hope that by the time the child outgrows it, the child may be easier to leave in the backseat (and use the non-BabySmart Super Elite), which of course is always the best place even with the BabySmart technology.

The Super Elite should also do a much better job than a Britax booster seat in keeping a child from sleeping against the rear side airbag -- at least in theory. That's because its five-point harness should discourage some leaning, and it has some limited side bolsters.

Initial feedback from parents lucky enough to get the early run of the Super Elite is extremely positive. However, I'll probably leave my son in his Roundabout until he gets close to outgrowing it before switching to the Super Elite, figuring that the Roundabout is still more optimized for toddlers. But I think we'll skip boosters until he outgrows the Super Elite, I really like the idea of the five-point harness for him.

Fisher-Price had made the Futura which went to (I think) 60 lbs, and it was somewhat similar though not as elaborate as the Super Elite. However, that model was discontinued and now Fisher-Price is leaving the car seat business.
    William, the Babysmart seats are available in three models. As you mentioned they are built for MB by the European arm of Britax. The three models include: Infant (from birth to 20 pounds), Toddler (20 to 40 pounds) and Booster (40 to 100 pounds). As you know, in the event of a collision, the child is protected by the restraining abilities of the child seat and the seatbelt system.

For those of you who are curious as to how Babysmart works, the BabySmart system uses a small "resonator" specially integrated into the child seat, somewhat similar to the security tags sometimes attached to merchandise in retail clothing stores. A low-power signal from the car prompts a return signal from the resonator in a BabySmart-equipped infant seat, allowing the system to sense the presence of the seat and automatically turn off the passenger's front airbag. Since the car's signal is essentially "reflected" back by the resonator in the child seat, the seat itself needs no battery or power hookup.
    The ML320 (even the '98 model) was the first SUV on the market to perform at "Ultra-Low-Emission-Vehicle" (ULEV) levels. MB didn't get the EPA to certify it as a ULEV vehicle until MY2001 though. The '98 ML320 yielded exhaust emissions of 0.032 grams per mile of HC (unburnt hydrocarbons), 0.25 gpm of CO (carbon monoxide) and 0.07 gpm of NOx (oxides of nitrogen) in certification tests conducted by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

According to the EPA,
    "Because of their superior emissions performance, Mercedes-Benz voluntarily entered the M-Class models in the EPS's National Low-Emission Vehicle (NLEV) program (the vehicles' gross vehicle weight --vehicle weight plus full carrying capacity -- would normally exempt the M-Class models from that program)."

Drew
    Host
    Yep, I know there are three BabySmart models. Nevertheless, even with the availability of a BabySmart booster, a child is still safer in the rear whenever possible.

If one has to put the child in the front and he or she is too big for the toddler seat, then it's the BabySmart booster unless MB gets Britax to make a BabySmart version of the Super Elite.

If one is certain to have the child in the rear, then I feel a Super Elite (even one that isn't a BabySmart version) is a better alternative than a booster - BabySmart or not. Especially since it'll help keep the child from sleeping against the rear side airbag.

It's also important for owners to know that those stated weight ranges are generally approximate, and height (specifically, head and torso height) is also a factor. E.g. a taller baby can outgrow a car seat before he or she reaches the seat's rated weight limit.

It'll be great if MB gets Britax to make a BabySmart version of the Super Elite. While the Super Elite seems like a new model, it's actually a version of the older Britax Traveller Plus, a seat for children with special needs that goes up to 105 pounds.
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    I am now in the market for a toddler car seat. After contacting my local dealer then 1800formercedes I have been told that MBUSA is no longer carrying baby smart seat for toddlers. The only ones available at your local dealers now are the infant and the child booster ones. If someone is shopping for a toddler babysmart seat he or she has to go directly to britax.com and check for local retailers (i.e babiesrus and the like).

I contacted Britax and they have informed me that there is no baby smart with resonator as Drew has kindly explained it to us here. But they recommended their newest product for toddlers (The King) which is good also for aircraft carrier! It is a good alternative if you wish for those who also fly with their toddlers. Here is their link http://www.childseat.com/ and it costs $189.99

Thus, in the meantime I would leave my child in the back seat until she is 12 or 13 years old.

Cheers

Johnny

Rather curious that MB doesn't have the toddler seat available anymore.

The King is a good seat, forward-facing only. Its main advantage, as I'm sure Britax told you, is somewhat simplified installation because you install a frame for the seat first, and then can just put on the main seat.

For those who are getting 2002's with their ISOFIX/LATCH attachments, Britax makes a forward-facing-only toddler seat that works with ISOFIX, the Expressway.
    Need some help.

Is the 3rd row seat option tied in with anything like Sunroof etc.. I am leaning towards going only with the 3rd row and xenon but skipping sunroof which has been a major source of issues / problems.

Anyone with any comments on the Bose sound on the M Class. I have it on my E wagon. Don't think it is that great but this could be due to the interior dynamics. Is there any change in the Bose system offered in 2002 vs. 2001. I believe that Q45 has a very high end of Bose sound vs. a regular stuff used in the MB???

Drew, I am well aware of 6cyl. engine availability in S class in Europe. I was just recapturing the goodies on the M Class and by the way, I think that 2002 interior should have a major positive change vs. the prior MY in terms of layout / air conditioning and AFAIK, materials - not to mention the external looks. If these do not make any difference than Mercedes has really lost the impact and declining M sales will be a continued trend.
    Isn't it the skyview top that has more problems than the power sunroof? The power sunroof should be fine.

Either the skview or sunroof is tied into getting the M7 option for the third row seat, I believe (U.S. market). You also cannot buy the M1 Luxury Package or M2 Convenience package without the sunroof or skyview.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Has anyone done a one time payment on a lease? I was just curious as to what a typical payment would be on a ML320 loaded? $12-$15,000? more or less?
    The Skyview roof has been just as reliable as the moonroof. Aside from a few minor complains (which were rectified), there have been no other issues.

Yeah, I believe you have to take the moonroof whether you like it or not, if you want the 3rd row seats + leather.
    "...declining M sales will be a continued trend."

FWIW, in fact, sales for July 2001 are about 220+ more vs. July 2000.
    For those of you who are not aware of this, Bose does not produce any headunits for vehicles. Instead, the vehicle manufacturer selects an audio manufacturer for Bose to work with (within a specified price range, of course).

Drew
    Host
  • gustavmgustavm Member Posts: 43
    Drew,

Once I compose my message, how long should I wait before it appears?

-- Gustav
    New, automatic climate control with rear vents and separate controls:
    New, high quality controls in the center instrument panel
    Automatic control of blower temperature and ventilation for greater convenience.
    Manual operation still possible
    Solar sensors allow quick automatic temperature adjustment.
    Output of compressor greatly increased to improve cooling
    Newly designed controls, individually adjustable rear vents and vents under front seats for increased comfort to rear passengers.
    Rear unit can also be turned on and off from the front control unit
    Residual engine heat utilization system built in to heat the passenger compartment when the car is stationery.

New center console design:
    New shape front ahstray at the bottom of the center dome in front of the shift gate
    Additional storage area with roll cover (as in passenger cars) behind the shift gate with a large cup-holder that can hold up to 32-oz cups
    New two-stage center console (shallow, deep) for better storage options
    Two redesigned cup holders for the rear passengers
    Updated MCS display with black bg for easier viewing both day and night

Misc.
    Standard sound system upgraded with two additional tweeters in exterior mirror cover area
    Power windows with one-touch express up/down (all four windows are fitted with one-touch control and obstruction sensors)
    ML320 and ML500 new tank capacity of 22 gallons (from 19 gallons for ML320 and ML430)

Automatic Lighting System (ALS) - Enhanced Lighting
    Automatic headlamp activation (similar to other MB passenger cars)
    Locator lighting: the exterior lights are switched on when the radio remote control is used.
    Night-time Security Illumination: front and rear lights remain illuminated for a limited period (programmable up to 60 seconds) after leaving the car
    Daytime running lights available (activated per customer request at dealership)
    New "auto"; position on headlight stalk
    Additional windshield washer low indicator added to instrument cluster
    Notifies customer when tank has less than 1.25 liters (0.33 gallons) left in it

ML500 interior equipment level differentiation maintained as per ML430:
    M1 package standard
    Trip computer/compass, auto-dimming mirrors, power folding mirrors and lockable safebox standard
    Heated front seats, GPS navigation, and wood gearshift standard

EXTERIOR

Completely new sculpted design of front and rear bumpers, sculpted mounted more aggressively to the body in lieu of frame. The lower grille is also painted in body color
    Additional cladding piece added to lower tailgate improving sporty appearance in the rear
    Front head lamps in clear glass with newly designed reflectors that ensure improved road illumination and give the front section of the vehicle an updated, modern approach
    Fog lamps integrated into the front bumper as standard feature. Now legal in all 50 states
    Newly designed glass covers for the rear lights
    Aerodynamically advanced exterior mirrors with integrated blinkers enhance the vehicle's styling and visibility as well as reduced wind noise. Also, turn signals in side fenders are eliminated to further increase aerodynamics of the vehicle.
    New exterior paints: Alabaster White (instead of Polar White and not available for ML55), Everest Green (replaces Cypress Green), Captil Blue (replaces Azure Blue)

New Wheel Design for the ML320
    More aggressive stance with 17" (up from 16") rims
    8" x 17" redesigned 5-spoke wheels
    Tires: 255/60R17, "H" rated -- Dunlop Sport All Seasons

ML500 vs. ML320
    An impressive 5.0l V8 engine will replace the current 4.3 l V8 in 2002, incorporating further exterior differentiation to present a complete new model package for the M-Class and includes:
    5.0 l V8 288 HP, 325 lb-ft engine
    Improved performance both 0-60 and top speed
    Minimal reduction in fuel economy
    Exterior differentiation added ML500 ML500 vs. ML320
    New, sportier chrome applications around body
    Grille with chromed louvers (similar to current ML55)
    Chromed door handles and trim above license plate on tailgate
    New style 17" 6-spoke aluminum wheels
    275/55R17 "V" rated tires
    ML55AMG Exterior Differentiation over ML500
    Receives all chrome applications similar to ML500
    Further, silver painted grille with chrome added to the front
    Unique AMG 5-spoke sport wheels and cladding remain

EQUIPMENT
    Enhanced Bose Sound System (STD ML55)
    Total of 9 high-end speakers (2 tweeters in outside mirror cover area on doors and 2 drivers added to top of D-pillar)
    New digital amplifier
    Audiopilot sound leveling system assuring maximum sound quality given any outside noise intereference
    External mirror memory (STD ML55)
    Now part of optional Seat Memory packages M2/M3
    Parking aid included (pass. mirror tilts down in reverse)
    Parktronic system (PTS)
    The Parktronic system (code 220) is familiar to the other passenger car model series. As the front ultrasound sensor would be obscured by the front brush guard, the guard should not be installed at the dealer if this factory option is ordered.
    Parktronic is only factory option on ML55 (all others are standard)
    Bi-Xenon headlamps with cleaning system and dynamic adjustment
    Bi-Xenon headlamps are fitted as standard on the ML 55: includes headlamp cleaning system and dynamic range adjustment. Available as an option on the other M-Class models without requiring M6 Sport package
    M5 Sunroof package
    Power rear quarter windows added to Power Sun Roof as a package for MY02
    Power rear quarter windows are not included in M7 3rd row seat package any longer
    (Note: all "M" option packages require M5 when ordering)
    Voice recognition system:
    VR added as possibility with Timeport Phone System
    Pre-wiring done at factory, stalk added at dealership
    VR controls phone and audio functions
    Deleted equipment:
    Skyview top (code 417) is no longer available for MY02
    The emergency key is no longer available for MY02

OTHER
    Safety features
    Windowbags for front and outer rear-seat passengers (standard) giving the M-Class an unprecedented 8 airbag 10-way safety system STANDARD.
    ISOFIX child seat mounting (standard)
    The rear bench comes with two ISOFIX child seat mountings for the left and right seats. Two ISOFIX mountings are also integrated into the optional third row of seats (M7)
    Check out "M-Class"
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Has anyone done a one time payment on a lease? I was just curious as to what a typical payment would be on a ML320 loaded? $12-$15,000? more or less?
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344

...in the child seat thread...;-> ...?

We (actually my almost-four-year-old son) had a Recaro *Start* (English Recaro homepage, then "products", "child seat") for almost one year now, and he likes it a lot! Here's a small image, the full-resolution pic can be seen here.

Not pictured (well, it's "parked" in the footwell - gotta have a talk with mom...) is the detachable headrest, which supports his head sideways while he's sleeping. This headrest as well as the (in height and width adjustable) shoulder supports would keep him at a safe distance to rear sidebags, windowbags, and glass. The Recaro also features a height adjustable back rest, lumbar support, length adjustment for the seating surface (!), a sleeping position and is foldable. We also got the (adjustable) optional footrest, which braces the seat against the car's floor to also add some strength. The towels' purpose is to protect the Rex's soft and supple leath... ...enough now, big

Tarik

Actually, you have to take either the sunroof or the skyview if you want the third row OR leather. I remember this from rkuehn's experiences in trying to find an SUV without having to buy the sunroof, though he didn't want an ML anyway.
    Sure you can participate, but just what kind of M-class is that ;-)

Heh, the childseat has almost as many adjustments as the S-class's front seats, but the colour scheme kind of clashes with the oak interior, doesn't it.

BTW, WRC Safari Rally on Speedvision right now!

Drew
    Host
    Oops, I couldn't see it in the picture that I was looking at. There is a moonroof afterall. I don't believe there are any such restrictions with the Canadian MLs. I've seen a couple of base models without a moonroof, but with the 3rd row (which as you know, is only available as a factory installed option over here).
    Thanks for your invitation, and yes indeed, satt's a piktsch'ur of a weri sikret vörsch'n of se nu MB Geländewagen modd'l's reer seet.

Although I'm a WRC Rally fan through and through, I had enough action and satisfaction during today's F1 GP in Hungary! Shuey clinches his fourth WC, Barrichello helps to achieve the third consecutive WCC for Ferrari, Irvine's out in the first corner, young Heidfeld in 6th place, what's more to expect? I need a rest...

Tarik, seeding rumors
    LOL! You don't speak like Jurgen Hubbert in real life, do you? ;-)

I didn't watch the race, but I did watch the qualifying. Poor David Coulthart was blocked twice by traffic and he wasn't happy, eh? Mika's initial pole qualifying time was blown out of the water by who else but Michael Schumacher's. Now, when is the next ALMS race? ;-). Too bad we don't get to see full length German DTM races except on Motorsport Mundial. Looks like a lot of fun with all of the AMG MBzs, the Audis, and the Opels.
    LOL! You don't speak like Jurgen Hubbert in real life, do you? ;-)
    Ohhh, ei diddn't nohw zet Hubbert's Enklisch was aniwea as guhd as mein...

Oh man, this stuff is so easy to pronounce (and make fun of), but impossible to spell!
    As to the DTM, here are four links (which you might already have in your favorites...), only one (#2) in English, though:

Mercedes Benz official DTM special, CrashNet (this is not what it appears to be), and two German DTM sites, DTM News and the official DTM homepage.

Tarik
    Ha, that Recaro seat is really something else. The only other really fancy child seat I've seen is the Maxi Cosi Priori Donato (which with its leather, can match well against a black leather interior), and it isn't as nearly full featured.

I remember reading a review on the now-defunct BabyCenter store about someone loving his Donato because its leather matched his Porsche's interior. Except then I wondered exactly what was the seating position (he was probably making it up), since there isn't a BabySmart version of it. Maxi-Cosi is a European maker of carseats so like Britax, their seats are very good.

Maxi Cosi:

http://www.coscoinc.com/products/priori/maxicos.html

For those comparing a Britax Roundabout with a Maxi Cosi:

http://www.geocities.com/~plomp/bravsmcp.htm
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Gustavm did an excellent job in pointing out the upgrades for the new ML, but in addition to those, lets keep in mind that Mercedes made over 1,100 modifications to the new ML, most are unseen and are of technical nature, with the goal of making the ML even better and correcting some, Quirks"

Since some race talk was advanced, I will lament to the poor showing of Mercedes this year (second place) and the third place in the Hungarian Grand Prix, but with the one billion dollar asault by Ferrari I am going to have to settle for seconds, on the other hand, the Le Mans series, in the Prototype 900 class, Audi, my favorite team, gave me a good excuse for some cold beers.
    "...declining M sales will be a continued trend."

How about YTD July 2001 vs. YTD July 2000.
  • hhm1644hhm1644 Member Posts: 13
    My parts dept. (NC) says that the toddler version of the BabySmart seat was discontinued to be redesigned for rerelease in Sept/Oct of this year...maybe they're wrong?

Also, I wrote several months ago about the awful hesitation in my '01ML320 when first accelerating. It has gotten even worse. Does anyone know if a service advisory has been issued, as the dealer kept it for 3 days on two different visits and found nothing (they could fix, anyway).

Third, I'm thinking of selling mine and buying an '02 model. It's black/charcoal with M1, bose, sroof and heated seats. It has 11k miles. Any idea of what I could expect to get? I'm in Winston-Salem, NC.

Thanks.
    Did you actually demonstrate to them this hesitation? If you don't, then they won't know what to look for even though you've told them. Best thing to do is to actually take a test drive with the service advisor or better yet, the shop foreman. If it's only replicable in the morning, then you should leave it overnight, and return the next morning to show it to them. You could also try another dealership in the area, but be sure to demonstrate this problem to them.
  • lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    without sacraficing fuel efficiency? Has anyone modified their ML engine? Thanks.
    ...how about this miraculous add-on which whirls your fuel around more in order to save 15-20%... ...ha, ha, haaaa

Mean Tarik

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's another link for you. Maybe I should post the FTC complaint form link too? <g>.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

...resist, it was too funny to not show it to you guys - sorry I didn't even address your question. Have the K&N filters done the 3.2l engines any good? Ever since I saw their [K&N] president on SpeedVision, I always laugh when I see their logo.

Apologetic Tarik
  • paulhsupaulhsu Member Posts: 2
    HI, Drew, I kept tracking this board for 3 months and finally got a ML-320 with M1, SR and M7. Thanks to all for the informations.
    I looked your ML-320 photo. There is a cover on cargo area. I just got my ML-320 this month with M7 3rd seat. I did not have that retractible cover. Is this because 3rd seat there is no space for that cover or it was hide somewhere?
    BTW this one was manufactured on June 2001. Is this one has fuel pump problem?
    Thanks
  • redgoatee7redgoatee7 Member Posts: 30
    Hey,

Since it's illegal to use a handheld cell phone while driving in NY, I bought a CCM Navigator handsfree kit ($50 in Target...very happy with it). The problem is that when I plug it into the cigarette lighter with the ashtray door open, the ashtray light reflects off the passenger side window. It's nothing major, but it's constantly in my peripheral vision...kinda annoying. Just wondering if there is anyway to turn off or disable the light. Or should I just go the low-tech route and cover it with tape? Thanks.

Todd
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    With H-rated tires as standard equipment, why would they not increase the speed limiter for the ML320? I think in prior years it was 108mph or something like that? If that's the case still, Why not just go with S rated tires?
    Lee,

The speed on the 2002 ML320 is 195 km/h (121 mph), so the limit has indeed increased.

-- Gustav
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    Gustav,
    Thanks for the tips. I regularly enjoy cruising in SUV's at such speeds to burn the carbon off the injectors. Just kidding but thanks for the tips I can't wait until mine get's here!
    Lee,

The speed on the 2002 ML320 is 195 km/h (121 mph), so the limit has indeed increased.

-- Gustav
    Sorry about the double post, folks!

Lee, what I like about that is that, while the 320 will have less power than the 500 (222 km/hr or 138 mph), it will still give plenty of safe passing power, without being a full-fledged gas guzzler. I don't think that I'll be going any faster than 110 miles on it anyway, so no need for that extra 16 mph...

It looks like it's going to be a "beaut'"!
    Just kidding.

Seriously, as long as one can pass safely at 90-100mph, who needs more speed in an SUV? Specially in the US!

-- Gustav
  • f888l888f888l888 Member Posts: 45
    The "Mercedes-branded" battery seems to perform drop dead act sometime between 4.5 and 5 years. I had two incidents. One was at the dealership. The other was at my garage. Now my battery is at 4.5 years old and it becomes a candicate for sudden death, if past experience holds.

I am considering

1. Get a new battery now.
    2. Get a jump start, such as prestone jumpstart (which is basically a new battery with fancy gears attached, cost around $70)
    3. Get a charger to charge the battery every week to make sure battery is full charged

One more thing. Should I just go to any auto parts store and get a battery with the same or over crank power? Is there anything special about "Mercedes-branded" maintenance-mandated battery? "Mercedes-branded" battery costs over $110 while battery at auto parts costs around $40 for the same or similar crank power. Comments appreciated. Thanks.