Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• drseuss1drseuss1 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone who's interested, I just got this back from bmwusa.com regarding the different size spare tire in my X5 --

I am with BMW of North America, LLC and your Owners' Circle inquiry has
    been forwarded to me for a response. All X5s come equipped with the
    same spare tire, no matter what wheels or package are on the vehicle.
    When BMW evaluated the possibility of using different spare sizes, we
    found the smaller wheel to require less space, thus increasing the trunk
    volume. If you should happen to need to use the spare, it will work
    with your vehicle. Please let us know if there is anything else we can
    help you with.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I think they do it because it is cheaper most likely. As long as the radius is the same you are OK. A 17" tire at 235 isn't too small either, it certainly isn't a donut or anything. It is the same size as on my MDX. As long as it is a "real tire" vs. spare quality (I think there actually are spare brands with cheaper rubber/radial ply) you should be able to drive all day on it and then some...

What is the brand tire on the spare? Check out tirerack.com regarding tire information...they have a lot of good general information links to educate consumers.
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    The 17", 18", 19" and 20" tires on the X5 are very close in diameter. The width is another matter. It is my opinion that BMW chose not to design the spare tire cavity with the capacity for their widest tire (20") as that would have cut into cargo capacity and raised the load floor or reduced ground clearance. As pointed out earlier, they do put in an alloy rim and Michelin MXV4 Energy tire as a spare, certainly not the cheapest way out for them. Seems like a very reasonable solution to me.

Jack
  • new_beemernew_beemer Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking about getting the new X5 but, I am confused as to what features are worth the $
    So far I have:
    Premium Package
    Premium Sound
    Cold Weather
    Rear Package
    Heated Steering

Questions:
    1. Is the Navigation System worth getting? I can configure it to play DVD's?
    2. If I do get the Navi I have to opt for a 6-CD changer. Is Nakamichi better than Alpine?
    3. What are the standard set of rims you get with X5 4.4 I have been unable to locate the pics.
    4. I do want a Overhead DVD but BMW sells this for 2500 I can get one a SONY one for 900. Would there be any issues configuring this?

This is my first car and its a beemer so I am excited yet confused HELP !!!
    Thanks
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    dude this is your first car and you're getting a brand new 4.4!!!!!!! WOW...must be nice.

Regarding the options, the xenon headlights are a MUST. 90% more light.

I love the DVD based nav and at the price point that you're at, I wouldn't do without it. It's fast, detailed and very reasonably priced.

Don't mix after market electronics with any BMW factory equipment. Besides the BMW components will be covered under the full factory warranty and if you have a problem with it you can bring it back to your center and they'll take care of it.
    happy motoring from a jealous 'bimmer guy
  • art44art44 Member Posts: 12
    I believe Xenons are standard equipment on the 2004 X5 4.4.

Go with the Navigation System. Nice toy.
    Forget the Premium Sound, it upgrades a substandard sound system to just barely adequate in my opinion. Your money is better spent on the Comfort Seats.

The standard 4.4 rims are the style 74 star spoke alloys, I hope. I was researching a 2004 X5 4.4 with Premium, Sport, Rear Climate packages, and Navigation for my wife.

It between that and a similarly equipped 2004 Cayenne S. Factors I'm considering: dealer discounts, resale value, cost of ownership (primarily maintenance).

new beemer, 1) have you shopped around for prices?
                2) researched X5 quality issues?

I haven't heard of any major problems with the X5's since late 2002. Anyone hear of on-going problems with X5's?
  • new_beemernew_beemer Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies. I havent' been able to find out what are the standard set of wheels on the 4.4 X5 (I know it comes with the all weather tires). BMW.com has a catalogue with showing some wheels but am not sure if its the european or the US model.
    I haven't really heard anything bad about the 2004. It seems like major issues were with the previous year models (mainly 2000-02). So far the reviews have been positive for 2004.
    Dealers have been stringy on prices from what I heard its because the they get only a fixed amount of 4.4's (2-3 a dealer) plus its winter time.
    I am thinking about going with the Navigation plus the 6-CD changer & chrome tips.
    Still thinking about the Sports Package.
  • pamajmudarpamajmudar Member Posts: 4
    I have one on order. I got
    Premium Package
    Premium Sound
    Cold Weather
    Rear Package
    Heated Steering
    Navigation

I plan to install 2 screens in the headrests and get a 6-DVD changer installed in the back, which can also play CDs and MP3s.

Xenons are standard on 4.4

The standard rims are 18" on 4.4 (unless you get sport package)

Sport package gives a harsher ride.
    Park Distance Control. Wife's X5 has it and we spent the weekend going in and out a parking garage and it is GREAT. Also good at spotting neighbor kids and our kid's toys.

We drove 1300 miles in the X5 this weekend, seeing lots of rain. It was great to drive this rig. I'd like a tad more space, but this thing eats up the miles.

We put a 9" TV/DVD on the console ($199 Toshiba at Best Buy) and it helped keep the 3 and 6 year old entertained. I thought about the $2000+ BMW system, but didn't have time to get it installed. We will only use the DVD 3 or 4 times a year, so we're staying with the $200 special. 'Course, if you're keeping up with the Jones's, this won't cut it.

Happy Motoring,

Jack
    Please elaborate on the 9" TV/DVD. Is it a portable DVD player with a TV? I'm not upto speed on current consumer electronics and would like to avoid getting sucked into a $2000+ DVD player option from BMW. For $199, it appears to be the smart way to go.
  • jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    That link did not work for me. I'm assuming it is the Edmund's First Drive of the X3 that can be found on the Edmunds Home page?
    that I bought from Best Buy. It's in their regular TV section. CC and WM, etc. have them as well. I went with BB because I prefer the Toshiba brand over the competitors. The key is making sure it fits the console and that the unit has a 12v adaptor. From my experience, most 9" TVs do have 12v adaptors. Downside, it's big. Upside, it's cheap and won't be used for everyday, just for vacation trips.

We added a pair of headphones (at $8 each) and a $5 splitter to take one output to the 2 headphones and we were good to go. Added an 48" bungee cord from Lowe's to tie down. They had a heavy duty cord with plastic coated ends vs. the metal ends.

BB also had a 12" AudioVox unit in their car stereo section for $800 that was very nice and much lighter and included cordless headphones. Its downside was that the external speakers were detachable and looked like something waiting to be mis-placed. We decided to go the cheap route in case we didn't like it. Rather waste $200 than $800.

BTW, the unit was flawless and earned its keep.

Happy Motoring,

Jack
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sorry about that - let me try that link again:

Finally, a True 3 Series Killer

First Drive: 2004 BMW X3

Talk about it here:

BMW X3 - 2004 (I think Kirstie must have renamed the discussion title overnight to fix the '05 designation).

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the helpful info. I'll have to stop by Best Buy and check out their selection of portable TV/DVD combos. Oh yeah, headphones are a must. After a half hour of cartoons, I'd be ready to scream. p.s. decided to order the PDC on the X5. Small price to pay for peace of mind. Thanks again.
    now enjoy the X5.

Happy Motoring,

Jack
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    buried in the payment estimator... there is no direct way to get this info, but anyways:
    2004 2.5 X3 without options $30,995
    2004 3.0 X3 without options $36,995

same ball park as the 3.

compare that to 2004 3.0 X5 without options at $40,995... the 2003 X5 to 2004 X5 spread is $800

ksso
    I getting conflicting information regarding the On-Board Nav for the 2004 X5. According to the BMWusa website, the Nav option comes with and in-dash cassette player and deletes the in-dash CD player. According to several dealerships that I've contacted, they insist that the 2004 X5 will have an in-dash CD player with the Nav option like the other BMW models. Which piece of information is more accurate? Thanks in advance for any updated info.
  • ageofreasonageofreason Member Posts: 4
    1. According to the 2004 brochures, the navigation system requires deletion of the in-dash CD player. Brochure is consistent with website.

2. From the experiences that I've had, I wouldn't rely on dealer assertions on any specs that you really care about.

Along the same lines, before I order my '04 4.4, I wanted to be sure that the 2004s still have the "folding rear view mirrors", as indicated in the brochures (to make garage ingress/egress easier). The BMW dealer I spoke with said that some have them, and some don't . . . you can't be sure what you're going to get! Go figure.
    Doubly puzzling is BMW USA's customer service. I sent them an email inquiring about the Nav and received a reply stating that they were not in a position to comment on the configuration future vehicles?? So I decided to call the toll free number listed on the website and the rep that I spoke to told me matter of factly that the Navs will all have the CD player because that is their current direction with that technology. Guess we just have to sit back and wait for the 04's to start rolling in to get the final word.
  • dal5049dal5049 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I can speak from real experiance. We just took delivery of our 2004 w/ navigation and it is a cassette, not a CD behind the screen. We were told by our rep that he expected it to be a CD since the 3 series are now coming that way. You just never know with BMW until the units show up. It also came with the folding mirrors (part of the self dimming mirror option). Hope this helps.
    I trust that you're pleased with your new purchase. Did you get the 3.0 or the 4.4?

Any thoughts/comments/impressions so far?

Happy driving.
    This is our second X5 3.0, our last was a 2001. We don't see the need for the 4.4 (or the spending the extra $10k for it). If we want that much power, there are quite a few cars we would rather have.

So far, it seems very similar to the last one, although I think it rides a bit softer than the 2001 (both are std suspension). The new X drive feels the same, but I guess I will have to try and push it a bit to see how it reacts. Steering is lighter at slow speed than our last one. There have been some cosmetic improvements here and there, like the headlights, grill and wheels. I like the new look so far.

The only thing we have noticed so far is that the tip in response from the throttle isn't right. I can push in on the throttle almost an inch and it does not really move while in gear. Once rolling it seems fine. The dealer has ruled out the throttle unit, and will call tech support at BMW this coming week to see if they have anything on file. They will also be getting other units in later this week, so they will be able to compare. My service contact agrees that it should not be this way. We will have to see what happens. Once we get that trouble solved I think it will be a winner.
  • avgdilbertavgdilbert Member Posts: 1
    Has other X5 owners had severe reliability issues with their vehicles? I own a X5 and 528i and the X5 has been a horror story. I think we have changed every electronic module in the vehicle once if not twice and the latest episode was the water pump failing taking out all of the drive belts and air intake ducting. The vehicle is a 2001 model year and is in the dealership at least once a month. We are in discussions with BMW about exchanging the vehicle . For a premium vehicle the quality is worse than a chrysler mini van. The 528i has been flawless. I do not understand how there can be such a quality diechotimy. If anyone else has had a quality horror story please let me know. The only saving grace has been the quality of service at the dealership. I would not recommend purchasing such a low reliability product. The JD Edwards quality ratings are bang on or even generous in its 2 star out of 5 quality rating for reliability.
    Thanks for the update. I hope you get that throttle problem fixed.

One question, though. You say: "We don't see the need for the 4.4 (or the spending the extra $10k for it). If we want that much power, there are quite a few cars we would rather have."

When you say "cars", do you mean other SUVs or do you mean cars? If you mean cars, I take your point. If you mean SUVs, I'd be curious as to your thoughts here.
  • aas5aas5 Member Posts: 50
    Quick question, guys.
    I am new on this board, having been spending most of my time on the FX boards. I am cross shopping between FX45 and X5 4.8 (which is the replacement for 4.6 in 2004, right?)
    Anyway, just looked at X3 pictures and thought what a horrible looking piece of design. Not to offend anyone, but can someone tell me that, in the quest to get a cheaper SUV than X5, they would get X3. It doesn't even come close to the perfect design of the 3 serdan series.
    Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys think - I've been a BMW fan for many years but the new 5 series design and now the X3 design make me rethink my preferences.
    Thanks.
  • sands5sands5 Member Posts: 1
    By far, my 2001 X5 4.4 is the most problematic vehicle I have ever owned. It has 31K miles and I am anxiously awaiting the end of the lease. I have had it towed twice this year. I've had the normal problems such as windows getting stuck down (in the shop 5 times for this), right turn signal has gone bad twice (water in it both times), the felt on the side pillar (side of windshield) is bubbling/loose, the engine had problems idling, the battery went dead (had to be towed), the ignition broke so that a key could not go in it (had to be towed), paint is coming off door handles (replaced once, but happened again), trunk latch pops open regularly, car needs coolant every few thousand miles which I was told is normal, and various other problems. Last time I went in, the dealer said "oh, these are small problems." My comment...any time I have to waste several hours of a week to go to the dealer more than once in a year, that is a big problem. Owning (leasing) this car has been a horrible experience.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    My 01 X5 3.0 has been perfect, not a single problem so far. It has about every option but the sport package. I'm thinking of buying it at the end of the lease in a few months.
    I definitely mean cars, not other SUVs.
  • gauntlett1gauntlett1 Member Posts: 17
    What is you option of the 2000 BMW 4.4 X5 ?

I plan on checking out a 2000 BMW X5 4.4, 66K miles, all options, CD Changer, Blue /Gray, Leather. Would this model be equipped with Nav system (GPS system). That is one key feature we need ( my wife needs it ).

The asking price is 29,999.
    I am under the impression that the 2000 X5's were problematic. I'm not sure if the problems were specific to the 3.0 or 4.4, but there were numerous electrical defects and issues with the door locks. I generally do not place much value in Consumer Reports magazine ratings, but they did have the '00 X5 listed as a used vehicle to avoid. Being a pretty widespread circulation, it may influence the general desirability and resaleability of these particular X5's. Your risk would be reduced if you're buying a certified pre-owned vehicle with an extended warranty from a dealer.
  • ajitpkajitpk Member Posts: 7
    Anybody know if theres flex on the pricing of 04 x5 4.4 off MSRP.
  • texbmwtexbmw Member Posts: 25
    I am considering a 2004 X5. Can anyone comment on getting car seats for kids in the back? I have a 3 year old and an infant. We use the Britax Roundabout seats which are fairly large. If anyone has any negative experiences regarding these in the context of an X5 I'd like to hear it. Also, I read above about a DVD player option available from the dealer. I cannot find any details on that at the website, has anyone bought one of those and is it worth the money? Thanks in advance.
    My wife has an X5 and carries the 3 and 6 year olds around all the time. One's in a car seat and another a booster seat. The X5 works great for this. The fairly high seating position make it very easy to belt them in. The X5 is also wide making it ideal for kids.

I'd rate the X5 as an "A" for a family of 4, IF you can live with the cargo room, or lack thereof. I just put a hitch on it a couple of weeks ago, so I'll use the "hitch haul" for trips to the beach.

Happy Motoring,

Jack
  • indunainduna Member Posts: 3
    Anybody have examples of 3 , 4 or 5 years lease deals on a X5 4.4i std?
    Capitalization, money factor, residuals etc.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Although it's now in its fifth model year, it's apparent that the X5 isn't getting older, it's getting better."

Follow-Up Test: 2004 BMW X5 4.4i

Steve, Host
    Just negotiated the purchase of a loaded 2004 X5 4.4i. Got approximately $1750 off MSRP. I attribute this more to the dealership than my negotiating skills. There are 4 BMW dealers in our "area", and this was by far the nicest, most customer-friendly one in every respect. The others all acted as if "the cars will sell themselves; we don't need you--you need us." Amazing.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Has anyone had any experience towing more than 4000 lbs. with their X5? How much weight were you towing, and how would you compare it to other tow vehicles you've used? Which engine do you have? Does the rear suspension load leveling do a good job keeping the vehicle level? Do the engine, transmission, and cooling system seem to be up to the task of pulling that much weight? The salesman at the local dealer strongly hinted that I would be asking for trouble by towing this much weight with an X5 despite that the 4.4 is rated to tow 6000 lbs. Thanks.
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Not much for the 19" as you said. Not sure if the 17" or 18" fit on yours (did they upgrade calipers for the sport package?) If the 18" fits here is a good link for you on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=38662&item=2448526827

This would allow you to pick up 235-60-18 Nokian SUV or Nokian WR which are both EXCELLENT snow choices. The SUV's would give you the deepest tread (15/32) but are only T speed rated. The WR are V rated but you only get 11/32.

You could also look for the 17" in a 235-65-17 if you can find rims and they fit. Either choice might be better than trashing your nice 19" rims with salt and everything else. The 17's open up choices from Bridgestone blizzak to Michelin Alpin and Dunlop Winter sport also.

If the optional/smaller rims are an acceptable alternative, you might be able to get a good looking set of aftermarket rims also.
  • dodindodin Member Posts: 5
    I know BMW cautions driving in snow and ice in the 19" wheels but is this a cover your [non-permissible content removed] situation or is the handling dramatically decreased? Anyone have experience with this? I'd rather not have 2 sets of wheels/tires if I can avoid it.
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Can't give you specific BMW info, check owners manual. Personal experience etc. The 19" tires are more performance based, great for wet and dry, different compound than other "all season" or snow tires. Compound gets hard not allowing tire to "flex" and grab on the crappy stuff. Lack of siping also adds to this. Many people have issue with the larger rims also when it comes to potholes / ice chunks. Low profile is great for handling bad for impacts. When you hit these "obstacles" there is no room for the tire to absorb the impact, transfers to rim and bends it. Look at Tirerack for a lot of great info on why snow tires vs. all season or performance. (think boots vs. casual dress or running shoes)
  • dodindodin Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info.
  • vinu_neurovinu_neuro Member Posts: 22
    I am a little unclear regarding the Sport Package in the 3.0i. I know the suspension is stiffer. Can feel it. Regarding the springs though: i am pretty sure the rears are Air Springs. What about the front? Regarding the seats, were the Sprt seats with thigh suuport an option with the 3.0i Sport Package.
  • vinu_neurovinu_neuro Member Posts: 22
    The warranty on my 2001 3.0i X5 will be ending in another couple of thousand miles; is it worth it to get the BMW extended warranty or get an aftermarket warranty. Some of the aftermarket ones seem pretty appealing. Anyone with experiences, dont hesitate to give your input. Owning a BMW without a warranty is out of the question. Thanks.
  • esaculesacul Member Posts: 11
    I had in the past heard about X5 steering vibration when a/c is ON. Is that a thing of the past and is no longer a problem in the 2003/2004 models? Or is it still a problem? Living in Texas, I will be running the a/c non-stop. Any advice (or links) from you guys owning 2003/2004 models will be greatly appreciated. This is the only issue(or rumor) standing between me and and X5.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    So my Dad (who is also my boss) is looking to replace his '01 Infiniti QX4 the first week of February (as his lease is up).

I went down to the BMW dealership in Manhattan to check out the X5 and measure its true interior dimensions (to see if my two pet Great Danes will for in the back). That place was hoppin'. You'd think they were giving BMWs away. I had to wait a while to speak with a sales rep. But I met with a guy who seemed quite knowledegable and to the point. He quoted me about $2000 off MSRP on a 36 month/ 20K per year lease. He used a 48% residual (because of the high mileage) and a money factor of .00215 (which I believe comes out to 5.16%). Including taxes, and 20K per year, and $0 cap cost reduction, he quoted me $837.63 per month. I should be able to get more off the sticker (and get closer to invoice). I also think the money factor is kinda high (our business has impeccable credit). Does any of this sound strange to anybody or is this what people are paying to lease?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• wingersollwingersoll Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me exactly what option "412 Retractable Load Floor" for the X5 is and what it does? I would like to think it extends out beyond the tail gate for transporting long objects but I can't tell.

Bill I
    It does extend beyond the floor, but its purpose is to make loading/unloading easier. You give up a couple of inches in cargo height. The cargo space in the X5 is limited enough that I saw little value in it.

YMMV,

Jack
  • kwest1kwest1 Member Posts: 12
    I just picked up a new '04 X-5 with the standard in-dash single CD player. Does anyone know why it is labelled "Business CD"? Also, do after market CD changers work in this vehicle - or are fiber optic changers required - as in Mercedes cars post '00?
  • kwest1kwest1 Member Posts: 12
    I ordered an '04 X-5 without choosing for the auto dimming option with auto folding side view mirrors. Is anyone aware of any aftermarket add-on to enable the side-view mirrors to power fold-in?
    Just is BMWs way of saying the the radio is capable of understanding station call letters if the station transmits such.

You'll want to stay with the BMW,# 82-11-0-028-760 which replaced 82-11-0-026-418 and 82-11-1- 469-404. They can be found for $350 - $375.
    Alpine make the unit for BMW and their unit works as well.

Jack