Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• kaitsukaitsu Member Posts: 41
    Thanks for the advice on avoiding 00 and 01 models. I received the same information from elsewhere, so this definitely narrows my choices.
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    There are no incentives at the moment of which I'm aware. The "normal" rate from BMWFS isn't too bad.

Jack
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    What is the MF for the X5 3.0, assuming 36-42mo/15K? Do you happen to know the residual? Say it's 60%, is that 60% of MSRP or the agreed upon price? Thanks so much for your help you all.

fo
  • shadowboxshadowbox Member Posts: 22
    There is a lease "special" running through the end of April. If you go to BMWusa.com go to "build your X5 3.0i SAV" you will see a pop up window with a link to ad details. The ad says $499 for base model, 36/1200, $2500 down. I think you can add any options you want and pay $0 down and still get a better deal than normal. I found when pricing out a lease that similarly equipped X5, XC90, and MDX came out within $20 a month for a 36 month lease.
  • shadowboxshadowbox Member Posts: 22
    I was told the MF was .00225 and the residual amount was 61%. This was last week--I think those numbers will change a bit after April 30.
    I think the money factor is .00235? The residual is on the MSRP, not the negotiated amount of purchase.

Jack
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    Thanks all for the info. When the MF and poss residuals change in May(hopefully for the better), where can I find out the actual numbers so that I won't have to keep asking everybody in TH. Thanks again.

Also, any ideas on leasing a CPO 2002 X5? Anything I need to realize because if it's the same deal, I think that would be much more affordable especially since it's covered by the BMW "extended warranty 6/100".

fo
    The residuals don't seem to change often. Once they're established, they only change if conditions change such as the economy, or new car finance/lease rates going lower, thus making used cars less expensive.

Several BMW sites on the net have fairly accuarate lease factors (road___.org)

Establishing a relationship with a BMW salespersopn is another way to go. Let them know what you're looking for and that you're waiting on the lease factor to drop. Most will keep you in mind and give you a call. On slow days, they'll find a way to make things "work".

Jack
  • readyalreadyreadyalready Member Posts: 22
    We have an 02 X5 to test drive overnight and are really liking it. One of the times I got in it and started it the hazard lights and overhead lights came on. I figured that I must have hit some button wrong but after reading some of the earlier posts I'm wondering if it could have an elec issue. Would you run in the other direction?
    If it's CPO, you're OK. If not CPO, I'd run unless lots of questions were answered including the service history from BMW.

Jack
    I'm sorry for not knowing the lingo but what is CPO?
    BMW, as do many other manuf., has a cerification program that allows you to buy late models with the assurance of the manufactureers backing.

To quote from the BMWUSA.com site:

"Only the best pre-owned BMWs qualify for the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program. To be eligible for enrollment in the Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Program, a late-model vehicle must be in service for at least six months or have more than 6,000 miles but less than 60,000 miles on the odometer. They must pass an extensive examination — a thorough and rigorous inspection by BMW factory-trained technicians. They inspect the vehicle for safety, performance and wear. If something is not right, it is fixed. If it cannot be fixed, the car cannot become a Certified Pre-Owned BMW.

In short, we're picky. But when you see everything covered under our Protection Plan, you'll understand why.

Every Certified Pre-Owned BMW is backed by a special BMW Protection Plan which provides coverage on the car for up to two years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date of expiration of the 4-year/50,000 mile BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Protection Plan has two elements: The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Limited Warranty abd BMW Roadside Assistance."

Hope this helps,

Jack
    Thank you, that does help.

Is it safe to assume that you can only get a car with CPO if you purchase from a dealer? They don't have an inspection process with the ability to purchase a warranty extension for individuals do they?
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    Ok, I have silly question. We drove 2 X5's at a Lexus event this past weekend and both my wife and I couldn't find any cup holders. Is this an upgrade option or did we miss something?

Just Curious
    There are 2 nice, big cupholders in the center console, at least w/ premium pack. I've never seen an X5 wo/ PP, but they do exist.

Hope this helps,

Jack
  • mjsornmjsorn Member Posts: 4
    Close to buying an 2003 X5 but wanted to get some insight:

1. Anyone know when the 2004's generally come out. I might wait if they are coming out soon.
    2. I have heard rumers of a refresh of the body style in the next year or 2. Any info here?
    3. Generally what can I expect/target for negotiating off of MSRP? I live in the Chicago area with many dealers.

Thanks,

MJ
    1. Anyone know when the 2004's generally come out. Early October.

2. I have heard rumers of a refresh of the body style in the next year or 2. This October.

3. Generally what can I expect/target for negotiating off of MSRP? I live in the Chicago area with many dealers. 3.0, ~ 2k. 4.4, ~ 1k. Maybe a bit more closer to October on a leftover.

Of course, YMMV.

Hope this helps,

Jack
  • larssunlarssun Member Posts: 14
    I just bought a set of custom wheels and tires
    and would like some suggestions on wheel locks. I have used BMW locks but I found them not up to the job. One good hit with a hammer and they are
    useless
    Lars
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There really don't seem to be all that many problem posts lately in spite of all the recall jabs. Maybe that's why the "Problems" discussion died off - I've reopened it and wonder if it'll get any new hits. Here's the link:

BMW X5 Problems

Steve, Host
  • indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    I just purchased a new X5 for my wife and I am blown away at the ride and handling of this vehicle. It is awesome. The seats are very comfortable and there is ample leg room in both the front and rear. It is also a very quiet and solid. The sound system is very good for the standard system. We had narrowed our choice to four SUVs and test drove them and then made our decision. The BMW won easily. They did a great job on their very first attempt at a SUV. Can't help but wonder how the next generation X5 will be improved on.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Jack, if I read you right, it seems that the MY 2000 and 2001 are to be avoided. Further, if you buy a CPO you can 1) save the initial first year hit on depreciation and 2) get a longer warranty than on a brand new car that has not been exactly trouble free (at least initially).

So, wouldn't the smart thing to do to buy a 2002 CPO and pass on a new 2003?

With regard to a stick shift, would you expect the pricing to be proportionately lower (on a used unit) to reflect the lower MSRP, significantly lower because they are not wanted by the used buyer, OR relatively higher because they are rare? In other words, how do stick shifts "residualize" in the real world?

In back issues of Roundel and Bimmer, the columnists aren't particularly impressed by the longevity of BMW automatic transmissions (maybe 100K before major overhaul). I figure that an overhaul on a X5 automatic would equal a California mortgage payment. Anyone's mortgage payment. How much could a Sachs clutch and pressure plate cost, anyway? $300? Plus 3-5 hours of local labor to throw it in and cut the flywheel?

Speaking of Roundel, if you join the BMWCCA you get a free subsciption AND a significant rebate on a BMW purchase or lease after a year's membership. I joined a year ago in anticipation of possibly getting out of my Jeep GC. This isn't a bad investment not only for the purchase/lease discount but to read about new BMWs coming out and other developments. Incidentally, their columns have a lot of tech commentary by hard core BMW owners and techs. A lot of this commentary is negative. Not only do they recommend obsessive/compulsive
    airline-like maintenance intervals to avoid problems (really how often do most Americans really want to flush out their brake fluid?) but it seems like BMW has had some serious tech problems. These include engine problems (e. g., bad block castings and liners) leading to catastrophic failures, massive electrical problems, rear suspension failures,etc. etc. Apparently, you just don't want to own a BMW not in warranty. (The old fashioned, 100% cast iron Chrysler 318 in my JGC looks better and better. Feed it Mobil 1 lube oil, Red Line Synthetic ATF and at 104,000 miles it runs like a train.)
    Well, your post covered lots of ground. X5s have had some issues. Most have been worked out. I think it's very important to have a BMW dealer that is very knowledgable and helpful.

I think buying a used BMW via CPO takes away most of the risk and worry. But, if you want to save a few bucks, You could buy it without CPO, save maybe $2k - $3k, and start a maintenance/repair fund with the savings. But, an 02 CPO probably won't save a lot over an 03. Some would take the 02 CPO over a new 03 just for the longer warranty.

Yes, BMW's have problems. The V8 block problem is well documented. But, and this is a big but, BMW stepped to the plate and extended the warranty and fixed the problem. It took several attempts to identify the exact cause. But, they did make it right. It's an interesting story, too long to document here.

I am in the process of selling an 86 BMW 528e that has over 197k. Yes, we bought it new, but it was out of warranty for quite a while. It is on the original engine and transmission. It's been a great car. Several minor issues, but overall, a great car. It still out brakes and handles most of the new stuff being sold.

As far as flushing brake fluid goes, I do it. If you want to compromise the stopping ability of your BMW/JGC when the brakes are hot, then have at it. But as for me and my family, I'll change brake fluid and keep the braking performance as close to new car specs as possible.

A comment on X5s with 5 speed. My son has a X5 with a 5 speed. My wife has an X5 with auto. I have a 530i with 5 speed. The X5s 5 speed has a very low 1st gear, much lower than the 530i. It may not bother you, but just know that upfront. The X5 just fells more "right" with the Steptronic (automatic) in my opinion.

So, yes, I think BMWs appeal to people who put handling and braking at the top of their list. If you value reliability, BMWs are quite good, but there are better alternatives. (the JGC will never make a reliability list. :) )

I hope this helps....

Jack
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    I think you may find a somewhat better deal on one because maybe it is someone who drove it for a year (or less) and decided that he/she couldn't live with the manual transmission anymore. The dealer would definitely lowball them on a the trade and would sell it cheaper than the Automatics CPOs on the lot. The question is, if you can find one. Do a search on BMWUSA.com

There are 3 within a 500 mile radius of where I live (NYC).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• vinu_neurovinu_neuro Member Posts: 22
    I have decide to get the 3.0i, but am not sure whether to get the Sport Package or not. Since the suspension is stiffer, is the ride quality compromised a lot? I have heard that on the 4.4i, the ride is horrible with the SP? Is it the same suspension on the 3.0 SP? Is the handling improved enough to be worth getting the SP?
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Thanks JOATMAN and NYCARGUY for your posts on buying a CPO X5. I appreciate it.

Incidentally, did everyone catch the preventive maintencance recommendation in the June issue of Bimmer? They recommend replacing the water pump and converting to an aftermarket aluminum thermostat housing at 40,000 miles (less if the car is used competitively)on most 6 cylinder engines. It seems Bimmer Magazine isn't too impressed by the plastic OEM water pump impeller and thermostat housing.
    I think sport vs. not-sport boils down to your particlar situation: who drives it, the passengers, load, road conditions, etc. Twisty mountain road by yourself = sport pack. Hauling 2 children to school in the burbs = non-sport.

I'm impressed with the ride quality on the non-sport X5. The Sport Pack on the X5 is a stiffer ride, and I don't see where the increased control or sportiness justify its cost/stiffness in most situations.

Just MHO,

Jack
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    I second Jacks comments -- really boils down to the condition of your roads and if you desire the SP look. I found the heated steering wheel to be of greater need...plus the roads around Denver get ridiculous with potholes.
  • john888john888 Member Posts: 15
    Anyone know the money factor this month for X5? .0015? or ?

Anyone with any good lease deals in NYC area lately?

How much should I expect to pay above invoice for 2003 X5 3.0i this month?

Thanks for any input.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check in Lease Questions - Ask Here too.

Steve, Host
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I've had my 01 X5 for almost 2 years, close to 30k miles with zero problems - as in none.

It's had a couple of recalls the dealer fixed when I took it in for an oil change - I couldn't even tell you what the recalls were for - nothing I ever noticed.

I thought I wanted a manual X5 until I test drove a manual and an automatic - auto all the way. I usually get a manual transmission in any vehicle that offers one - not the X5.

I'm definately buying my X5 when it goes off lease, it's one of the best BMW's I've ever leased/ owned - fantastic.
    Great post! We hear all the problems, but there are many cases like yours.

I'm still impressed when I drive the X5. (Wife and son each have one.) The room and luxury beat the 5 series. Great for hauling the 2 year old and 6 year old.

Thanks,

Jack
  • ladygolferladygolfer Member Posts: 1
    Rear cargo window smashes when parked driver's door is closed
    ever heard of this on an X5
  • ngray10025ngray10025 Member Posts: 2
    I am buying an SUV and have narrowed my choices down to the BMW X5 3.0 or the Volvo XC90 2.5T. I would appreciate any input on the differences between these two SUVs. The Volvo is a little less expensive, has much better cargo space, and seems overall to give better bang for the buck. I absolutely love the way the BMW drives, but I'm concerned that once my fiance and I are married and add a dog and kid to the mix, it won't be roomy enough. Also, do the BMW's safety features stack up against the Volvo? I've test driven both, and each sales person insists their car is safer (Volvo: "It's impossible to roll this car." BMW: "You can't drive the Volvo through tight curves the way you just drove the BMW. You will end up on your side.") Finally, I've heard some complaints that the BMW 3.0 is underpowered (although it seemed fine to me). The Volvo has less horsepower (but more torque, and weighs slightly less). I will be driving mostly in the SF Bay Area and Lake Tahoe in the winter. Many thanks.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    Jack & I believe RickRover, what didn't you guys like about the X5 w/ a Manual Transmission? Just curious.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

1st gear on the X5 w/ 5 speed is very low. It's what used to be called a "stump puller". You're tempted to just start in 2nd gear. If you actually drive on unpaved roads, it would make some sense.

Also, the Steptronic seems to work very well.

Hope this helps,

Jack
    Both of these rigs are very safe. Looking at the X5 that was crash tested will make a believer out of me. Volvo, of course, is very safe.

Both seem to have more than adequate power. Neither will win many drag races, but each can take you down the road quickly.

The X5 cargo area is a little small, but the spacious seating areas seem to make up for it, at least for my family.

If the "drive" of the X5 is a high priority, then it may be for you. If not, the the XC90 will do a great job.

I don't see a loser here. Both are winners.

Good luck,

Jack
  • aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    When my wife and I took a test drive in the XC90 2.5T, engine noise was very noticeable. Her current automobile is a Lexus RX300 which is very quiet. If you are considering a Volvo XC90, I would encourage you to look at the 2.6 liter engine.
  • jeff181jeff181 Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to purchase a 2003 X5 soon and was interested in recommendations for dealers in the Southeast. Also is the TMV price close to what others are paying? Thanks in advance.
  • berkkberkk Member Posts: 2
    Trying to decide between X5 and RX330. I would definitely go with X5 (name, ride, look) but reliability is my concern. I like RX330 because it has more accessories and has better interior. I do not know much about NAV in these cars. Are they useful? Any suggestions?
    Jeff,

Where in the SE? Be more specific and I'll give you a recommendation.

Jack
    I think the reliability of the X5 is good. Most issues are known and have been fixed. Most dealers work with you when issues come up, and they seem to get problems resolved.

What about the interior don't you like? I find it to be a good layout with good quality materials and comfortable seats.

Hey, but as they say, buy what you like.

Jack
  • jeff181jeff181 Member Posts: 4
    Jack,

I'm located in North Alabama but will travel for a good deal. Thanks, Jeff
  • vinu_neurovinu_neuro Member Posts: 22
    What is included in the Tow Package in the 3.0i?
  • tippyd1tippyd1 Member Posts: 1
    Interested in a 3.0 with automatic/premium/xenon. How close to invoice (or off of MSRP) can you get in the Atlanta area? Cash deal.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    Some time ago the issue of cargo space came up and after some measurements were taken everyone was left wondering if there was a standard -- indeed there is! BMW publishes measurements according to the European DIN specification and not the more commonly used U.S. federal specifications. File away for future reference.
    The following dealers seem to have good reputations: Century in Huntsville; Tom Williams in Birmingham; Chris in Decatur; Hank Aaron in Union City; United in Deluth; and Global Imports in Atlanta.

Most dealerships will give you a good deal if you ask for one, can wait for one, and are ready to act on one when it's offered. But, on the other hand, most have professional salespeople, and they are trying to get all they can from you. You can get clubbed like a baby seal most anywhere.

Good luck,

Jack
  • skhoslaskhosla Member Posts: 22
    Is this a good deal in the bay area for a X5 3.0i with premium, xenon, auto? The dealor says thre's a MACO charge which is equal to 1% of the base invoice (about 360$). Is that legit?

Thanks,
    Samir
  • ric1035ric1035 Member Posts: 32
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new in this board. I just bought a 2001 X5 3.0i at an auction with 66k mi,PP,CP,NAV,auto, and it came with an aftermarket Apline XM cd changer with JBL amp and a 6" woofer. It sounds good but the engine noise. I took a vehicle history from the dealer and the previous owner showed concerns but they could not fix it. They even replaced the alternator. I had a similar problems from my previous vehicles and it's very hard to get rid off. Sounds to me like audio installation problem. It is probably not grounded properly. The noise is still there even when the radio is off but it's worse when the XM radio is on. Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it.

Overall it drives very nice. It is clean inside and out. How can I find out if any recalls has been repaired? It doesn't show on the dealer history. By the way I got it for 27,500.

Thanks ahead for any suggestion.

G
    Good price. And yes, MACO is legit. I can't verify the amount, but it sounds right.

Jack