Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I have an 01 3.0 X5 that's never had a probem with vibration with the A/C on - this is the first I've ever heard of it. I live in Florida, the A/C in my X5 is always on. Why don't you take a used X5 that's on your dealer's lot for a spin - you'll see they don't vibrate.

I've actually never had any type of problem with my X5, it's never had a warranty repair.
  • arlekinoarlekino Member Posts: 4
    Same here, 02/3.0, 23K, no vibration, no warranty repairs, just a nice smooth ride.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Can anybody advise on a dealer in the NY/NJ area?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• phauolphauol Member Posts: 24
    My X5 too has been good for the past 11000 miles, except for the vibration problem when the gear is engaged at P, R and D. This is not the a/c vibration problem and it comes and goes, shifted from the left side to the right side. It sounds like coming from behind the dash but feels stronger at the door. Anyone has any clue? Thanks
  • rukindrukind Member Posts: 17
    My 2003 X5 3.0 has a problem with the rear hatch lock. Basically, when I press the lock release button on the key it quickly cycles through three times and the door is still locked. If I try it enough times I can get it to open. This occurs sporadically but more often than not.

The dealer looked at it and made adjustments. Within 24 hours the problem reappeared.

Anybody know about this problem and what did it take to get it fixed?

Thanks.
    I've gotten some quotes from a few different dealers and the going offer seems to be about $2K off sticker ($1800 above invoice). I'd like to try and knock off another $800 off. My Dad is deciding between an X5 3.0i and an Acura MDX to replace his '01 Infiniti QX4. He likes a few of the things the BMW offers like the Sport Package, Telescoping and tilting steering wheel (MDX only tilts), lumbar seats. And the Acura is very much like his Infiniti. Both trucks drive very well on the highway (he does all highway driving). BMW's X Drive seems to be superior to Acura's Variable Torque Management system (A FWD based system). The Acura's seem to be in quite high demand and the best offer so far is $1500 off sticker. The MDX is also about $10K cheaper than the X5. I'm pushing for the X5, our accountant is pushing for the MDX:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• billfishbillfish Member Posts: 16
    I have several offers out there for the X5 which is the first vehicle of choice. If they do it fine. If not, then the Lexus RX 330 and the Honda are next in line. Both are less expensive. Keep in mind they can sell you one for invoice if they want and need to move one so stick to your guns or move on. I prefer the BMW as I know I will drive the wheels off and I think down the road it will serve me well but I refuse to pay extortion. ;-) They'll tell you they are flying out the door but the sales of the X5 are down 7-8% due to some reliability issues. I think the past models affect this more but it has steered some away in the 40k+class to the vehicles that offer very similar product and in some areas better value. I do know the MDX and Lexus are less and believe that was by design. If I know they are slipping then Those 2 know it better. Hang in there against those "firm" offers. BMW didn't give those incentives at the end of 03' for no reason. Cut back production too will also cause illusional demand. Don't get me wrong I am actually pro BMW but anti BS.
  • airplaneguyairplaneguy Member Posts: 5
    Just took delivery of a new X5 with pp,xenons,rear climate,at. ( No Sport ). Just wondering are the turn signals set up on this model to flash 3 times for just lane changes etc.. or do they not do this on this model? The owners manual says it should but mine does not?I have tried being very gentle and it just springs back into neautral without flashing. Works if I move it all the way past the resistance point fine. Just not the 3 flash senario?
    Any suggestions?
    So my Dad (who is also my boss) has pretty much decided he wants an X5 as his next vehicle to replace his 2001 Infiniti QX4. We're car nuts and are very excited. The X5 will be his 1st BMW.

He's going with the 3.0i (Sterling Gray/Black Leather) with Steptronic, PP, SP, CWP, Rear Climate Package, Lumbar, & Xenon headlights.

BMW dealers in our area aren't exactly starving for business. Our target price is $1000 above invoice.

He's either going to lease for 36 or 42 months with 20K miles per year and taxes rolled into the lease.

He owns a Plumbing supply house (started by my Great Grandfather in 1900) and commutes about 60 miles per day round trip from his NYC suburb Home (Rockland County) to The Bronx with our 2 pet (and guard dogs) Great Danes.

• uofcssauofcssa Member Posts: 2
    I'm getting ready to purchase an X5 4.4, but I'm trying to decide on getting the premium stereo or not. I have researched everywhere and have asked several BMW sales people for the wattage of the X5 stereos. If anyone knows the wattage of the standard stereo in the X5 and wattage and brand name and any other info on the upgraded system please let me know. Thanks in advance!
    My Dad ordered his first BMW today! He's getting a 2004 Sterling Gray/Black Leather X5 3.0iA with Steptronic (iA), Cold Weather, Rear Climate, Lumbar, Xenon, Premium Package, and Sport Package.

He ended up paying $1000 over invoice after a few days of back and forth negotiations which comes out to $48,845.

He's going to lease the X5 for 42 months including 20K miles per year, NYC taxes rolled in, 51% residual, and 5.16% interest (money factor) with a $0 cap cost reduction. Payments are going to be $835/month.

This may seem high to some, but with the 20K per year mileage the residual is lower compared to a 10, 12, or 15K per year lease.

• swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    I've been looking at '01 X5 3.0s and have noticed that the non-Sport Pkge X5s don't have color key door handles (ugh!!!). Has anyone ever had the dealer replace them with color-keyed ones? My wife loves the Titanium Silver but I can't deal with the black door handles. I know I could wait to find one with a sport package but just curious about the door handles. Please advise!!
  • art44art44 Member Posts: 12
    My advice: Visit a local body shop and ask them to give you a quote on the work. It'll probably be less than the dealer, but it will not be cheap. Ballpark around a $800 for labor.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I've had an 01 X5 non-sport 3.0 since new - the door handles don't bother me. No way would it cost $800 to have them painted. I was looking into getting all the 4.6 body upgrades on my 3.0 for the fun of it - all the parts barely hit the $800 mark.

I'm thinking of selling my titanium/ black 01 X5 3.0 with premium package, xenons, climate package with only 16k miles.. It's in Florida - never seen a winter.
    I'm guessing that the body shop would have to remove all four door handles. I would think that they'd have a challenge painting the inside surface of the handle while it was still mounted on the door. To get to the door handle, the interior trim probably has to be removed as well.

I would want the paint baked on rather than just air-dried for durability and to resist chipping from the things like a ring on your fingers. This is the one painted surface that gets handled everytime you get into the car.

Parts are inexpensive relative to shop labor costs.
  • jasdmdjasdmd Member Posts: 2
    Wondering if I could get some feedback regarding the performance of navigation system in 04 X5.
    Going to the dealership, hopefully tomorrow, to place my order....$1500 under MSRP sound right? The first dealer would only order at full sticker price. I shopped four dealerships and this was the best I found.
    Depends on the city and state where you're buying the car and whether it's a 3.0 or 4.4. You should be able to do better than $1500 off a 3.0. But for a 4.4, that's the ballpark in the Northern California area. I've heard some deals like $3900 off MSRP in Monroe, LA.
    The standard offer here in the NYC area is abiut $2K off sticker. I ended up with a little less than that paying $1000 over invoice.

• jav27jav27 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone out there experience a problem starting your X5's? It has happened twice within a week. It would not start, the lights and everything else lit up, but the engine would not turn. I decided to switch gear into neutral and it started just fine. I have taken it back to dealer for them to inspect and correct.
  • x5fanx5fan Member Posts: 4
    I'm getting 2500 off the MSRP on a 4.4. Is this the deal these days? The vehicle has to be ordered.
  • bankeizenbankeizen Member Posts: 46
    Where is the dealer located? Is car on lot or factory ordered?
  • leosandleosand Member Posts: 2
    Is the new 6years, 100K miles extended maintenance warranty worth $1595 on my 2003 X5 with 11000 miles in 9 months? Any experience with the cost of brakes and rotors replacement? Thank you
    We're actually picking up our X5 tomorrow and will be taking BMW up on the Extended maintenance contract. We'll be leasing for 42 months and approximately 70K miles. We'll make good on the plan when we go for Inspection II service (about $700) and when we go for our second set of brakes at about 65K miles. BMWNA said that brakes on the X5 are costly as compared to other BMWs.

$1384. And it is being rolled into our lease payment.

• erinx5erinx5 Member Posts: 14
    Does anybody know of any options coming out in the year 2004. The reason I ask is because if you've seen the commercials for X-Drive (4 little angels), it shows an X5 with a panoramic sunroof, and at the bottom of the screen it reads "Panoramic Sunroof Avalible Spring 2004". Has anybody heard anything about this or other new options?

Thank a lot!
    -Erin
    The Panoramic Sunroof will be available on April production X5's. Another new item is the rear view mirror with the digital compass built-in.
  • hombogerohombogero Member Posts: 13
    I drove the X5 3.0 with navigation. I found the Navigation System not that user friendly. I feel the system in my Infiniti to be superior. I am sure once you get used to it, it would be fine. The biggest kicker is that on a 51,820 MSRP car, there is no CD player. The reason I drove the car is my girlfriend is deciding between a Cayenne V6 vs. BMW X5 3.0. What do you guys think? After she saw the Navigation in the BMW, she has serious doubts about going with that option. She has to figure the price of the navigation, with the 6 CD changer.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    The nav is more than just a nav. For the price you also get the computer and the radio/cd is integrated into the screen. Though I rarely use it for navigation I wouldn't pass on it if I had to do it over again. You're right: it's got the user friendliness of DOS but once you figure it out it's alright.

The changer is a trunk mount DIO that you can easily do yourself. Buy it cheap from an online BMW dealer and plug it in. Other message boards claim this is a 10 minute job. I paid through the nose for mine :-(
  • aas5aas5 Member Posts: 50
    Why wouldn't she consider a Toureg V8 which has got to beat the Cayenne's pathetic 0-90 in 9+ seconds?
    Thanks a lot Art44~
    Hey everyone!
    Does anybody know the estimated waiting time involved in ordering an X5 from the time of order to delivery? My friend is considering, and she would like to know how long they take to come in, approximately.
    I'm sure most of it varies on where you are in the country relative to the plant in South Carolina.

My Dad's X5 was ordered and built within 3-4 weeks. He lives in NY.

In N. Cal, I had to wait close to six weeks for a 4.4 that I ordered. It would have been half the time for a 3.0. You may be able to talk the sales manager into modifying a car that is already in production or entering production to meet your specifications. This could save you several weeks of waiting.
  • hzhaohzhao Member Posts: 28
    I just recently purchased 4.4i and according the dealer manager, a ordered one will take about 6 weeks for 4.4i. But depends on the opts you want, it might be possible to locate one that is still at factory lot and "on hold" by other dealers (dealer can hold a car at factory for max. of 90 days before ship to the dealer). They can do a dealer trade/transfer to have the car delivered. Mine was that situation, my dealer did find one was build and still at S.C. for another dealer, but was on hold. They made the trades and I had the car I wanted in about one week.
  • x5fanx5fan Member Posts: 4
    Today I took delivery of my 4.4 that was ordered on 1/26; $2800.00 below MSRP.

Got Premium, Sports, Rear climate, Nav, PDC and CD chgr.
  • HSYHSY Member Posts: 2
    Does the 2002 X5 3.0 use a timing belt or timing chain? If it is a timing belt, is 60K miles the normal replacement interval? Thanks.
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a 2004 X5 3.0 without the Sport Package, and I am having second thoughts about not getting it. Does anyone have a 3.0 with a sport package, if so how does it ride? I have heard nothing but complaints on the sport package, but I'd like to find out from someone who knows firsthand with an 04. I sure like that new steering wheel!

~Erin
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    I think you mean 0-60 in 9.3 sec.... :-)

no, it is no sports car, but will handle everyday duties....
  • larssunlarssun Member Posts: 14
    The ride can be called stiff or harsh. But the
    handling is great. Put a good set of 20 inchers
    with some good rubber on it and you have a AWD sport car with high clearance. Your buying a SUV(SAV) not a Buick.
    Lars
  • davidh1davidh1 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a new 2004 X5. On a bright sunny day with my sunglasses on I cant read the odometer or temperature readings and the radio or computer info is only slightly better. Anyone have similar problems or solutions
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    davidh1 - I've found this to be a common problem in any car that has digital information. On bright days with sunglasses on and the sun in the right position, I cannot read information from digital dashboards. Not sure of the solution, except to turn the car the other way :)
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    polarized sunglasses. :)

-Paul
  • albivalbiv Member Posts: 35
    Yep! polarized sunglasses. Same thing happens with digital gas pump readouts.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Pirelli now makes all season tires to fit the 4.4 19" sport package wheels. They are called Scorpion Zero's. Has anyone tried them? How are they in the snow? I have not been able to find any other manufacturer that makes all season tires in this size. Thanks.
  • joeintnjoeintn Member Posts: 1
    I am quite unhappy with the new 6 speed automatic transmission. Upshifts too quickly, downshifts too late. Downshift from 6 to 5 occurs at 37 mph, 5 to 4 at 27 mph, 4 to 3 at 17. Any acceleration requires hitting "passing gear" from the old days. Previously owned 2001 X5 4.5 with the wonderful 5 speed automatic--always in the right gear, wonderful engine transmission combination. Anyone else displeased with the new 4.4 6 speed automatic transmission? Any solutions?
  • bankeizenbankeizen Member Posts: 46
    If you go to the Tire Rack web site you will find a variety of tires available. There is also a Nokian which is not listed there.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    Elsewhere on the web I've seen posts complaining about the 6 spd auto. Some have problems, others don't. Recently someone mentioned that they were taking theirs in for a tranny software upgrade. You may want to ask your dealer. Hope this helps.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Joe, I test drove a 4.4 the other day and noticed the same thing versus the old 5 speed trans. The 1-2 upshift seemed to happen much too early during moderate acceleration, and I found myself pressing the accelerator even harder after the premature upshift slowed down the acceleration. My salesperson is quite a car fanatic and not at all the usual car salesperson who will tell you anything to get you to buy. His theory is that BMW programmed the early upshift in an attempt to raise the gas mileage rating. His theory does seem to make sense. I've noticed that many Mercedes sedans with 6 cylinder engines seem to do the same thing.
  • mrmikemrmike Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2001 X5 with low mileage about a week ago and the radio isn't quite as robust as I would like. It seems to be basic without DSP, etc. I've check around at shops such as CarTunes and Hi-Fi Buys but they all want to charge a hefty price to install speakers, amp, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their radio with an after market one and if so which one and are they happy with it? Also, were the speakers replaced as well?

I'd like to get some decent sound without paying a hefty price.

Thanks
  • peterbpeterb Member Posts: 1
    My X5 lease exp. I had a horrible return exp. Two dealers check it out first and said it was fine, then pick up dealer said they would check out but never did. Finally they pick it up and tell me $1200 in repairs are needed. I had a fit. Complained to BMW who sent someone else out who also said it would be about $1200, but this time for completely different items!!! I complained to corporate, but no response. I was going to get another X5, but felt ripped off and that the car just wasn't worth the dealership hassle. I got the Volvo SUV and it's just fine. Hope this posting saves someone else the pain of dealing with BMW.