Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

1121314151618»

Comments

• thopvathopva Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR. It's once again at the dealership for a transmission issue. The dealer is now saying that it's the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and that it will be $1,500 to repair it. I'm beyond frustrated! In the past two years, my 3-5 wave plate has broken and been fixed, my power steering column and my water pump. I am at 102,500 miles on my truck now. Just 2,500 miles out of warranty! I contacted GM Customer Service once the dealership let me know last week. I opened a case with them. I finally got a call from someone on Wednesday of this week (1 1/2 weeks after I opened the case) she told me there was nothing they could do for me. I explained to her that it's a known problem and is all over the discussion boards, so it's ridiculous that they don't take care of the repair. My dealer gave me a loaner car through Enterprise when I dropped the car off. When I called them to let them know what GM said about not covering anything, they informed me that they would only be paying for 1 day of the rental and that I now have to pay for the remaining 11 days I've had it (waiting on a reply from GM). So at this point, the truck isn't fixed, I have a ridiculous rental car bill to pay and GM nor the dealership have any solution that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm making sure to tell everyone that I know in person and via social media so hopefully, no one else will have to deal with this nightmare!!!
  • rywilsonrywilson Member Posts: 1
    Im in the same boat!! as Thopva, Here I am again at the GM Dealer in Bowie MD... I too first had the infamous 3-5-R or R35 wave plate issue at 98k, GM tried to scam me with stating the Warranty on the vehicle is only good for the original owner, and wanted $4500, for the repair... and like normal business practice with GM, tried to tell me they had never heard of the recall.

They fixed it, after I cited the recall, and threatened to go to Fox 5, under the warranty...Well surprise!! here we are again, 20k miles now it's the TCM, and guess what... they want $2300 to fix that. So we bought the Outlook with 30k on the odometer, and so far we've had nothing but issues the whole way, all of my instincts and gut feelings said never buy an American car, though my wife really wanted it... so we went for it.

In my opinion, GM makes the most horrific vehicles, and furthermore does not stand behind their product. I've owned many Hondas, and never had a tranny issue, my Honda that did have an issue was fixed without hassle or push back from the dealer (Bill Page Honda), 30k outside of the warranty. I turbo'd a 94 Integra at 189k on the original motor, and drove it like I stole it, bent a CAM, took it to Honda, even with the modified engine, Honda replaced both CAMs and machined the caps for $200... THATS CALLED SUPPORTING YOUR PRODUCT!!!

Unfortunately, with GM I've had it... this tranny issue, the cheap sway bar endlinks, faulty headlamp wiring harness, faulty steering column, faulty radio, poor quality shocks and struts, faulty timing chain,... all of these issues, and that's just some of the problems I've had. My biggest gripe with my local GM dealer is that they dont care about their customers... The way they do business sucks, and over-all support is just absent. I would think, if you had to replace the R-3-4/5 wave plate, GM would replace all the components that tend to fail with it while the transmission is off the vehicle.. but no, this stealer states: "Although it may be a common problem with this line of transmissions, speaking only about the wave plate issue; it is not in our practice to replace components that tend to fail as a result of this type of issue. Though the deteriorating wave plate would have in fact damaged possibly all or one of the many other parts of the transmission, we at GM, cannot be held liable for the replacement of any parts unrelated to the particular part that failed." -- WHAT!! Does that not sound like a setup for failure?? So you mean to tell me, you know that when a part in the transmission breaks, sending metal shavings and other debris through the transmission which may or will definitely damage the other parts such as solenoids, TCM.. you don't clean/flush, or replace those parts?!!! <--- That's why I'm done with this vehicle and GM... GOOD NIGHT!!!
  • dimoutlookdimoutlook Member Posts: 10
    2007 Outlook w/99K here. I haven't been in this forum for awhile. I too had the dreaded 3-5-R or R35 wave plate issue. Transmission replaced at 38K. I've had pretty good luck since. There's a loose connection on one of the headlights. The steering column makes a funny noise. Otherwise not too bad. BUT - today the check engine light came on. I will take it to Autozone tomorrow and get the code. Wish me luck.
  • jac3213jac3213 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum, but wish I had found it long ago. I have a 2008 Outlook with 85,000 miles on it. I have been reading the numerous posts about the well known wave plate defect that plagues vehicles with the 6T70 - 6T75, 6 speed transmissions. My understanding is that the 3-5-R wave plate fails and damages other components in the transmission. Fortunately I have not experienced the same problems as the many posters, but it appears that this problem is not a matter of "if" the part will fail but "when" it will fail. So, I am hoping that someone has had an experience where they took preventative action and was able to have the 3-5-R wave plate replaced before it failed. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that was able to to have a dealer replace the wave plate and at what cost.

I can't say that my experience with my outlook has been free from problems, I have experienced problems with gauges becoming inoperative while driving (twice), worn loose stabilizer bar links, replaced struts, and repaired a broken leaf spring in addition to recalls and water pump problem that GM would not stand behind because the replacement was not completed by a dealer. The water pump failed when I took it in for maintenance to flush the cooling system. The "Letter" regarding extended warranty for a know problems didn't cover it.

I like my Saturn but rate it as below average in reliability. I agree that GM should stand behind this transmission problem since it is clearly a manufacturing defect.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi jac3213.

We understand your frustration and offer our sincerest apologies for the issues you've experienced with your Outlook. We recognize vehicle repairs can be costly and understand why you're upset. Please let us know if we can contact your dealership to explore additional options on your behalf. We're available via private message if interested. Please be sure to include VIN, full contact information and dealership name.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • popegtppopegtp Member Posts: 2
    Not to make this a pity party but I am running into the dreaded GM curse. 2008 Outlook had the 35r wave plate in dec 2012 with approx 80k. Water pump at 50k. Now with 107k the tranny is throwing codes and slipping. Based on the predictability of previous comments they are going to probably tell me the TCM is out and that is not considered a part of the the original problem. Costing me who knows how many thousands. So that leads me to two possible issues - 1. the TCM is faulty and just fails at the 100k mark so from quality perspective both the mechanical and electrical components are unreliable or 2. The Wave Plate was the only defect and the other transmission problems are left over from metal passing around the transmission doing the damage. Has GM ever commented on recommended repairs for the 35r wave plate? Is the rebuild really reliable since the TCM modules are failing at equally predicable rate as the wave plates? I haven't know one owner of this vehicle that has not had the failure. God forbid they 101k on the car. I will keep you all posted on my experience with the dealer and GM.
  • popegtppopegtp Member Posts: 2
    The more I think about this transmission problem the more upset I get. How is it that GM can have some ignition problems with keys and get national attention. I would suggest that folks should at the very least file complaint at SAFERCAR.GOV. At least that would draw some attention to the NHTSA. FYI as update to my previous comments they did in fact tell the TCM module is the problem. $1500 to fix. And they are adamant that the TCM issue is not related to prior issues of the wave plate breaking. I am not convinced but who am I? And mechanic says those are also very common problems for this vehicle. Transmission is complete garbage on this car.
    We recognize you're upset, popegtp, and we certainly understand why you feel this way. It's important to have a reliable vehicle and we're sorry to learn you've encountered issues with your Saturn Outlook. If there is anything we can do to assist please do not hesitate to send us a private message.

Thank you
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • sandsinwasandsinwa Member Posts: 1
    HI everyone, new to this blog. I bought a 2007 Outlook new from dealer. In 2011, our issues began. we had steering and transmission issues at about 35K miles. Brought it to dealer and they replaced the power steering pump and gear box (recall on pump). Updated transmission. 2012 more transmission issues - another service, 2013 - more transmission issues... another service. 2015, just had to replace another power steering pump and another power steering gear box ($2000). Still having transmission issues and now they tell me my transmission needs to be replaced/rebuilt. I have fought with the dealership... worthless. I have called GM customer service. Worthless. I'm ready to help with a class action suit.
  • help1119help1119 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I brought (Paid Cash) my 2008 Saturn Outlook used in May of 2012 for the convenience of my growing family. I really like the look and all of the capabilities of the Outlook. Everything was going find and then I needed to get the wiper motor fixed almost a month after getting the truck. I've had minor wear and tear work done. Last year in May I was having minor transmission issues (so I thought) However to my surprise nothing was coming up. I moved to Southwestern Ohio From MI now I have codes coming up for the transmission that are exactly what others are referring to in this forum. Granted I do have a lot of highway miles on the truck, but now it seems since traveling up and down many hills that are in the Southwestern area of Ohio has triggered a much bigger problem. While I was driving ( with my children) on I-75 my truck just slipped & switched gears, check engine light comes on and the truck slowed up on the highway (scary). I had to pull over and turn the truck off to let it sit. After which the engine light was still on but the truck took off as usual. I keep having this same problem. After I have depleted all of my funds to relocate for better employment options (after being laid off)and to remain a float until I find employment. Now I can not go for employment because I have no other means of transportation. I have no means to afford to pay for such overly expensive costs for a transmission that seem to be faulty. I've tried contacting GM and I am getting no luck. I brought the outlook in an attempt to do my part and support what was in turmoil in my home state. I am very disappointed that after having someone monitor this site to gather information... there has been nothing done about it when everyone has the same complaint. Call me crazy but it would seem like something would be done, even if its not for me because of age of vehicle/ mileage... something should be done. I just do not know what to do? Any advice?

Thanks in advance
  • stefaniekimstefaniekim Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I purchased a 2007 Outlook XR in November of 2010 with about 25,000 miles on it. We loved it until recently. About 8 months ago, I was at a red light and when it turned green, the car wouldn't move but the rpm's revved up high. I finally got it to go, but was terrified that it was going to stop all of a sudden since it wouldn't go past 10 mph on a major hwy during rush hour with my 3 kids in the car. It hasn't been the same since. The transmission seems to go on and off while driving. Then about 4 months ago, the power steering went. I received a letter from Saturn stating there was a problem with the power steering in some vehicles and if we had a problem with ours to bring it in to our GM dealer to have it fixed. Of course, our dealer told us it was not the same problem as what the letter stated so it would be out of pocket to us. Also, that our transmission and wave plates need to be flushed and replaced, along with new head gaskets and a long list of other things that need to be fixed. I can't believe there has not been a recall on the transmission yet. Is GM really waiting for someone to die in an accident to realize this is a problem?? All they have to do is read this forum to realize it's not just a few cars that have this issue! We are now looking for a new car since it will cost us way too much to have our Saturn fixed and we are on a very tight budget, but I can say this-we will NOT be buying another GM or American made car that's for sure!

My husband and I purchased a 2007 Outlook XR in November of 2010 with about 25,000 miles on it. We loved it until recently. About 8 months ago, I was at a red light and when it turned green, the car wouldn't move but the rpm's revved up high. I finally got it to go, but was terrified that it was going to stop all of a sudden since it wouldn't go past 10 mph on a major hwy during rush hour with my 3 kids in the car. It hasn't been the same since. The transmission seems to go on and off while driving. Then about 4 months ago, the power steering went. I received a letter from Saturn stating there was a problem with the power steering in some vehicles and if we had a problem with ours to bring it in to our GM dealer to have it fixed. Of course, our dealer told us it was not the same problem as what the letter stated so it would be out of pocket to us. Also, that our transmission and wave plates need to be flushed and replaced, along with new head gaskets and a long list of other things that need to be fixed. I can't believe there has not been a recall on the transmission yet. Is GM really waiting for someone to die in an accident to realize this is a problem?? All they have to do is read this forum to realize it's not just a few cars that have this issue! We are now looking for a new car since it will cost us way too much to have our Saturn fixed and we are on a very tight budget, but I can say this-we will NOT be buying another GM or American made car that's for sure!

Hi Stephanie,

I want to look into this further for you. I truly apologize for this, and we certainly recognize these concerns. Please send me an e-mail at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Patsy along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. I look forward to your response!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
  • jasona5jasona5 Member Posts: 1
    Well add my 2007 Saturn Outlook XR to the list of less than dependable vehicles. Bought it from a dealer as a trade in on an new Enclave 6 months ago. 73k miles with Clean Carfax and service records. Fought with the dealership to get them to perform the air bag recall which they finally did. Then had a popping in the steering wheel which took 2 more trips to get repaired along with being cussed by the owner of the dealership. Have just over 80k miles now and have 2 more issues. I have the sunroof leaks (like everyone of these apparently) and just yesterday my wife had the transmission start making a funny noise. We took it to our mechanic and he says it's the transmission Let me see.......80k miles from a one owner family that was traded to a GM dealership. This dealership didn't not address any of the TSBs that were out on this vehicle before they put it on the lot for sale. I had to give them the TSB info so they could see what the issues were. Pretty competent service department when the customer has to supply the info to try and get their own problems solved.

We, like many others on this site, are a 1 vehicle family. We have 3 children under 7 years old and the vehicle is our only form of family transportation. I traded a 2005 Toyota Sienna with 160k miles in on this GM vehicle and the Toyota was more dependable on it's worst day than the GM vehicle has ever been. Couple that with the fact that the owner of the dealership was a complete jerk and my frustration can be easily understood. After pitching a big time fit I finally got them to repair the steering wheel issue (also after filing a complaint with the BBB) Now get this, instead of letting the GM service department repair it they sent it to a sister dealership that sells Hyundai!!! He was a fantastic guy and tried hard to help but regardless of what he could do the fact remaines the vehicle was poorly constructed from day 1 with many reliability problems. Patsy, if you are out there monitoring this board like I have seen you do can you please give me some help???

• jpaquetjpaquet Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this site and i'm sort of glad to see i'm not alone with these problems. I have a 2008 Outlook XR that I bought in 2011 with 90k but now with 330 000km on it so I can tell you I have had repaired almost every part but nothing wrong with the electrical. lol. I love the truck, it's comfortable, quite, very roomy and fun to drive ( in a big boat kind of way ). I keep putting money into it because i like it so much but at least now I know what's causing some of our problems or when they're going to break. So far I have had 2 transmissions replaced, they both broke down at litteraly 110 000km each, and I put back in used transmissions with about 4k at 4000$ each. I have had every chuck, brake, spring, bearing, rod, suspenssion [non-permissible content removed]., power stearing, wiper liquid motor, and probably forgetting some replaced. By the way in winter if some of yours shut down for no reason, check engine come's on and you can only go 10k\hr, it's because you fell on the cars safety. Which means that it detects a problem and before the engine goes boom ( or so it thinks ) it goes safety mode. THE FIX: temporarely fix is to shut the car off for 15 - 30 minutes and start up again. The check engine will stay on but at least you can roll. But the probleme is that there's too much humidity in the motor and it comes out in the air intake witch forms ice. After a while the ice cause's obstruction and the car shuts down. My solution is to clean the air intake everytime I go for an oïl change ( once a month ) only during the winter. :)
    It really sucks that they don't seem to care about their transmission situation at GM beacause its the same part with the Acadia, Enclave and Traverse and you can imagine how much i'm pushing people to buy these cars if i'm having problem's with mine...
    Anyway, I hope they are looking for a fix, and if you have questions for anything else... I've probably seen it
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I just got a letter from Saturn. Due to problems, they are now covering the transmission for 10 years 120,000 miles. They mentioned the wave plate. There was a form for reimbursement if you have had the problem and paid out of pocket for repairs. I have a 2008 Outlook XR. Not sure what years are covered but I would guess Acadia, Traverse and Enclave would be covered as well. Took long enough for those of you who had this problem and go no help at the time.
  • jlubbers28jlubbers28 Member Posts: 2
    My car is back at the dealership AGAIN for transmission issues. Of course, the Special Coverage that has been recently issued doesn't apply to the repair that I need. Did I really expect any different? This time, I was told that the solenoid needed to be replaced. Every bit of research that I have come across, tells me that this issue is most likely because of the debris from failing wave plate. GM and the dealership both tell me that I am WRONG and that one has nothing to do with the other. BS!!!!! Anyway, now I am submitting to the fact that I am going to have to pay the $1200 repair bill, on a part that is most certainly needing replacement due to the poor manufacturing of this vehicle. I called the dealership to tell them that I have come across a Service Bulletin about the wave plate issue, and it clearly states that when the transmission is dismantled for ANY reason, the 35R wave plate should be replaced. Now, it would stand to reason that since GM obviously knows about the 35R wave plate problems, which is exactly why they have issued the Special Coverage, then they should replace the wave plate while I am footing the bill for the current transmission problem, right? WRONG! They want to wait for the part to break and destroy the transmission before they fix it. THAT IS JUST RIDICULOUS! I am trying to be PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE, and they refuse to work with me on this issue. And, to add to the great customer service that I have received so far, the representative that I was talking to hung up the phone while I was talking. His strategy was to talk over me and interrupt everything I was saying. He also stated that the Service Bulletin that I was referring to was "not for customer's eye" and he refused to comment on its contents

. "Clutch: All Technical Service Bulletins
    A/T - No Reverse/3rd or 5th Gear/MIL ON/DTC P0776 TECHNICAL Bulletin No.: 09-07-30-012B Date: March 08, 2011 Subject: No Reverse, 3rd or 5th, Check Engine Light Illuminated, DTC P0776 (Replace 3-5 Reverse Clutch Plate (Waved))

Models: 2008-2009 Buick Enclave
    2008-2009 Chevrolet Equinox, Malibu
    2009 Chevrolet Traverse
    2007-2009 GMC Acadia
    2007-2009 Pontiac G6
    2008-2009 Pontiac Torrent
    2007-2009 Saturn AURA, OUTLOOK
    2008-2009 Saturn VUE

All Equipped with 6T70/75 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (RPOs MH2, MH4, MH6 or MY9) Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to update the information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-07-30-012A (Section 07 -
    Transmission/Transaxle).
    Condition Some customers may comment about an SES light and/or no reverse and may also comment on a slip / flare or harsh shifts in drive range 3rd and/or 5th
    gear. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0776 (Clutch Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid 2 - Stuck Off) set. Any one of the following codes
    may set independent of each other as a result of this wave plate breaking: P0777, P2723, P0717, P0716, P2715, P2714. Cause This condition may be caused by a broken 35R clutch wave plate allowing the apply piston to over-stroke, causing the piston to leak and causing loss of
    apply. This normally will not occur before approximately 32,000 km (20,000 mi). Debris generated by the condition can affect the operation of the speed
    sensors and other clutches.

Correction Important
    It is recommended that a new plate be installed any time the transmission is disassembled for any reason.

Important
    The control solenoid (w/body and TCM) valve assembly should not be washed in a parts cleaner.

I have 2 more years or 50,000 miles to go on this Special Coverage and you can bet my [non-permissible content removed] that I am going to drive this car hard. GM will end of paying for this transmission. I guarantee it! I just hope that no one gets hurt when the wave plate finally decides to break, as it isn't a matter of IF, it's WHEN?
  • smalldreamssmalldreams Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2007 saturn outlook xr with 85,000 miles on it.  Bought in March 2011 with 32,000 miles. Typically I don't buy extended warranties. The dealer talked me into it and I'm fortunate they did. At 51,000 miles had transmission issues  (wave plate), master cylinder and timing chain issues at 65k, oil leak at 79k, all covered under my extended warranty. Sun roof leak at 62k miles was not covered  ($550 repair ).  Last but not least, at 85k miles and with oil changes done on a regular basis, the engine seized.   Cost: $5500.  I've always purchased GM vehicles.   Never again.  Stay away from this car.  It is a money pit.
  • tseagondollartseagondollar Member Posts: 1
    2008 Saturn Outlook XR with 82000 miles - locked into second gear and engine light came on - took it to the transmission shop since it is out of warranty - told that the transmission solenoid went out - trans shop said it must happen a lot because the dealer had a lot of these particular solenoids on the shelf and was not surprised this will cost me $1250 -
    this car has been a total disappointment - here's the list:
    • Wave Plate went out at 32k miles (recall),
    • rotors worn out at 36k miles (not warranteed - $700),
    • replaced steering column due to clicking and grinding noise (warranteed),
    • air bag sensor was replaced 37k (warranteed)
    • radio replaced at 38k miles (warranteed),
    • driver window and door lock switches failed at 65k miles (module costs $147 plus 3 hours labor),
    • center console cigarette lighter not working 67k (no clue),
    • oil leak at 72k (no clue)
    • DIC and dash lights flickering started around 80k miles (no clue - comes back on when you hit the dash with your hand above the instrument cluster but then goes right off),
    My wife says this isn't all of the problems. Every GM and Chevy I have owned were and are junk! I tell everyone I know not to buy them. They should NOT have been given bail out money in 2010.
    If this is still being monitored by a GM representative, I would appreciate some help here.
  • blmiller10blmiller10 Member Posts: 1
    Transmission just went out on our 2007 Saturn Outlook XR for the third time...first at 50,000+ miles, then again and finally at 96,000 miles. Asked to have the tranny actually replaced the first time...of course they only repaired it. Had many of the other common problems listed on this forum as well: leaky front struts, rear door speaker went out, front passenger airbag sensor has failed ($1000 to fix...really), alternator, can't even remember the rest of them. Isn't it sad that I cannot remember all the things that have been faulty on this vehicle. @gmcustsvc I'm a little perturbed.

Transmission just went out on our 2007 Saturn Outlook XR for the third time...first at 50,000+ miles, then again and finally at 96,000 miles. Asked to have the tranny actually replaced the first time...of course they only repaired it. Had many of the other common problems listed on this forum as well: leaky front struts, rear door speaker went out, front passenger airbag sensor has failed ($1000 to fix...really), alternator, can't even remember the rest of them. Isn't it sad that I cannot remember all the things that have been faulty on this vehicle. @gmcustsvc I'm a little perturbed.

Hello blmiller10,

This is certainly something we don’t like to hear, and would like the opportunity to look further into your concerns for you. We recognize how frustrating unexpected repairs can be, and apologize for any inconveniences you have encountered.
    Please send us a private message with your VIN, contact information, involved dealership and any additional details as you see fit.

Have a wonderful day,

Helen
    GM Customer Care
  • bymyside247bymyside247 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    You guys,  we need your help! We bought our 2008 Saturn Outlook. W/2 sun roofs. 1 year later, front sun roofs doesn't work. Mid sun roof leaks, hydrolic in hood and back  hatch both stopped working, heater goes hot and cold and we can't open passenger side window with driver controls.  Oh!  And AC stopped working!  Wth!? We've already replaced the gear shift and now the freaking transmission is locked up. Again, wth!? Beautiful car, but it's a mechanical and electrical piece of crap! Any advise? We can't afford this! 1 flipping year!
  • sduncan0sduncan0 Member Posts: 1
    wlbrown9 said:

I just got a letter from Saturn. Due to problems, they are now covering the transmission for 10 years 120,000 miles. They mentioned the wave plate. There was a form for reimbursement if you have had the problem and paid out of pocket for repairs. I have a 2008 Outlook XR. Not sure what years are covered but I would guess Acadia, Traverse and Enclave would be covered as well. Took long enough for those of you who had this problem and go no help at the time.

I too had this issue on my 07 Outlook and received the letter.
    Turns out I had had to replace the entire Transmission at 128K and GM flat refused to do anything about it.
    They did offer me a $2000 voucher toward a new GM vehicle, but no thanks.
    I was really upset at their response and hope yours was/is better.
    A couple of the people I spoke with were nice enough, but the end result was they simply quit contacting me.
    Ever heard of Customer Service, GM?

Meanwhile, my 07 ION just lost power steering on the way into work today. This after having it replaced last year due to a recall. That was on the assist motor and no telling if this is the motor or the control module. I am going to be out another $1000 by the time this is all over! $6000 and counting GM!! In just 6 months! Planned obsolescence?

I will never by another GM product at this point...
  • joez70zjoez70z Member Posts: 2
    i see these all day long here in nc it really disappoints me to see how much failure of these wave plates has been, i work at a dealership and ive been doing transmissions for gm for over 20 yrs have been a gm fan all my life but its heart breaking to see people spend good money for a veh. and something so small as a wave plate fail and cause so much damage, i rebuild these all the time on the side for people whos warranty has run out for around fifteen hundred dollars and i see other shops charge 3 and 4 thousand and as a tech. it makes me aggravated to see people get taken advantage of ,bad enough the trans has failed, to all the saturn , acadia , and buick customers my apologies for the problems
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2016
    So you see a lot of these failures?
  • joez70zjoez70z Member Posts: 2
    tons of them ive been doing the wave plate and tcm failures since 2007 ,now the equinox and cruze is coming on with the same concern, i handle 3 of our stores transmissions and they keep me busy here at the dealership
    edited February 2016
    What's your assessment of why this happens? This wave plate (the 3-5-R) just decides to shatter into fragments? Does the snap ring pop out of the drum? What are the symptoms exactly? I heard high rpm shifting was one of them.
  • truth_verifytruth_verify Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook XE with only 36,000 miles on it. It is the first brand new car that my wife and I ever bought. My wife was driving it last Friday and the car died. I had the car towed to my mechanics' garage who I have used for years. He has been in business for almost 50 years. He told me it was the wave plate/transmission issue. I did not recall the bulletin from GM at the time and told my mechanic to fix my car because it was a giant paper weight and useless without being fixed. He totally rebuilt the transmission and fixed everything and got it up and running in a couple of days. Its as good as new and has a two year/24,000 mile warranty from my service garage. He did not use GM parts to repair it (he is not a GM Dealer). I found the bulletin regarding the wave plate issue and took it to my mechanic who confirmed that's what was wrong. I took the required paperwork to the GM Dealer (Stow, OH) from whom I bought the car when they had a Saturn Dealer also. They are supposed to cut you a check to cover your costs so you are not out any money for their problem. They refused to cut me a check because they got burned previously when they paid a customer and did not get reimbursed from GM because now they are getting picky and not paying claims if you did not use GM parts to fix their problem. The Dealer said he would go to bat for me and submit my claim. He submitted it and in less than an hour it was denied by GM. Now, I am told there is nothing they can do for me. I am going to pick up my original documents from them in the morning. I called GM and discussed the problem with them. They said I can re-submit my paperwork to them and they will re-consider the claim and it will take about four weeks to get back to me. I asked the rep if it is the same paperwork that was submitted by the Dealer that was rejected in an hour, why will it take four weeks to get back to me? And, it will probably be denied again anyways. She could not answer the question for me. My father worked for GM for 30 years in Tool and Die and worked his tail off to provide a good life for our family. I paid $30,000 for my families first brand new car and it dies with only 36,000 miles on it. They had no problem taking my money to buy the car but do not want to stand by their work because GM parts were not used to fix it. Funny thing is, my wife and I just bought another brand new car from this same Dealer four months ago after selling our other GM car to help pay for this new car. I will never buy another car from this Dealer again after the non-support that I received from them. And, I am not going away and eating the cost of this repair.
  • 2sparrows2sparrows Member Posts: 1
    My transmission is driving me crazy!! I have a 2009 Saturn Outlook XR, my transmission started getting a shutter around 35mph last April now it's doing it on the highway no matter what speed. It feels like it's stuck. I love my outlook and don't want to get another vehicle.I would fix it in a heartbeat if someone knew how to fix it. I've been told torque converter $3000, rebuilt transmission $3000. I've also heard a download. I just don't want to throw thousands of $$ into it and not fix the problem. Did anyone find out what the problem is?
    You might want to have someone pull codes from the TCM and this might give a clue. Common problems with this model include transmission "wave plate" failure although your symptoms don't seem to match up. I think there was even an extended warranty for these transmissions so you might check with GM on that.

• dkTucsondkTucson Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook XR with from wheel drive and with ~155k miles. Our transmission seems to usually lug around 1500 to 2000 RPMs. Very annoying. Sometimes I put it in low gear to get to a higher RPM which seems to mitigate the lugging. Symptoms seem similar to what some are describing on this thread. We were quoted 2500 to 3000 to repair the transmission. So what is the final verdict, is this a recall item?
  • dkTucsondkTucson Member Posts: 2
    dkTucson said:

I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook XR with from wheel drive and with ~155k miles. Our transmission seems to usually lug around 1500 to 2000 RPMs. Very annoying. Sometimes I put it in low gear to get to a higher RPM which seems to mitigate the lugging. Symptoms seem similar to what some are describing on this thread. We were quoted 2500 to 3000 to repair the transmission. So what is the final verdict, is this a recall item?

I forgot to mention that a friend, who had a similar issue, mentioned a software update fixed his issue. Anybody else have a similar problem where a software update took care of things?