Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Technical Service Bulletins

Comments

• fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    0patience-

Like I said, the NHTSA Service Bulletin Number does work on the Chrysler dealers' computers. This is the only company that I have had experience with in the past 2 years with my piece of crap 300M. When I gave the dealer this number, they were able to access the TSB with only that info. The programs you use are evidently different and require a different process to find what you're looking for.

At any rate, I'm glad you're able to help so many people find the info they need.

fastdriver
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    I checked around and evidently some of the dealers use NHTSAs access to pull the TSBs and recalls along with the manufacturer's information.That had never occured to me.And evidently some of them have a cross for other manufacturers and NHTSA.All of the info I have is specific on the manufacturer's TSBs.It seems niether of us was wrong,just dealing with different accesses to the same info.That is good to know.Have fun.
    0patience-

NO problem. I just was knocked for a loop when I read your message because I've been here for 2 years and have never had a problem with anyone in any Edmunds topic- well, maybe one jerk in the old wax/polish topic. That was ages ago.

I come to these boards for info, help and to share my experiences with others in the hopes that they will NOT have to suffer the same problems when trying to get their cars fixed right the first time by the wonderful "5-STAR" Chrysler dealers! If they don't improve their quality soon, no one will have to worry because there won't be any Chrysler left. How much lower can their stock go before everyone bails out?

Thanks.

fastdriver
  • mfemfe2mfemfe2 Member Posts: 2
    99 MERC SABLE WITH 11K MILES BROUGHT NEW IN 10/99, 3.L 24 VALVE ENGINE. OIL PUMP RELIEF VALVE WENT WIDE OPEN. LOSS OF ENTIRE OIL INVENTORY AS WELL AS ENGINE. ENGINE SEIZED AN CRANK BROKE. NOW WHAT DO I DO. CAR IS UNDER WARRANTY 36/36 BUMPER TO BUMPER. BUT HELL I WON'T GET A NEW ENGINE NOR ONE WITH ONLY 11 K ON IT AND U KNOW THE INSATALLATION PROBLESM...SUGGESTIONS....PLEASE
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    mfemfe2,

I'm not sure how this relates to TSB's. Do you suspect that there is a TSB for this problem?

Your host, Bruce.
  • heckel2heckel2 Member Posts: 19
    I own a 99 camry however I get the oil changed every 3 months. What I was wondering is that for 12k or one year it says to change your differental oil. What is that all the other american car books I had never required this just regular oil changes. I was wondering if this is really needed or are they just trying to get money from me I would appreciate any help I could get thanks again.
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Since this topic is about Technical Service Bulletins, it is really not a very good place to ask that question. I see you are already participating in Camry Problems (Topic #597). That's a good place to look, and you also might want to check out Transmission Traumas. Just click on the highlighted links to go directly to either topic.

Good luck.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • dzldzl Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE PROBLEM WITH BEING LOCKED OUT OF THE CAR WITH ENGIN RUNNING AND CAR IN PARK. ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER?
  • aam1aam1 Member Posts: 26
    Hello all:

I am new here. Just got a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP last week and have three problems with it:

1. There is a crackling noise coming from the fan
    2. A clinking noise from the rear door/passenger seat area on rough roads.
    3. A metalic jarring noise over pot and holes at speeds over 30 mph.

Have had the car in with the dealer already. For the fan they said "cleared leaves and debris." Noise still there. For the clinking noise, they replaced some spring. And they couldn't duplicate the jarring noise.

Wanted to find out if anyone has any information that can help me. I am taking the car back to the dealer next week.

Thanks.
    Just forgot to mention that problem 2 is still there despite fixing the spring.
    aam1-

Can't help you with your problem, but I have a question- you've had the car for a week and they cleared leaves and debris for the crackling noise with the fan?? HOW did you get leaves and debris in there in a week? It's summer. What leaves are falling already? The only thing I can think of is that they have had this car on their lot since the fall and had it parked near trees?? And I thought my "5-STAR" Chrysler dealers came up with some good excuses! LOL.......

You might try to post this question in the Sportscar area, topic #1615- Pontiac Grand Prix.

fastdriver
    Hi:

I have no clue how the leaves got there. Mentioned it to Pontiac customer support and they also wanted to know how leaves can get into the HVAC. Anyways, will be taking the car back to the dealer this week. Called up Pontiac and they called the dealer to fix the problem. Thanks for the info on topic 1615.

aam1
    ... now we'll get back to our regularly scheduled topic on Technical Service Bulletins! ;->

Pat
  • jrg48jrg48 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question. Where online can I obtain listings of recalls for certain vehicales ???

Thanks ahead of time.

JRG48
  • donman77donman77 Member Posts: 9
    I don't quite know if this is the right topic for this, but does anyone know of any good sites on the web to learn about basic car repair/maintenance? I mean like the stuff a mechanic learns. I wanted to take some courses here at school on it (I go to RIT) but I can't find a thing. I'm really interested in getting into cars, computers aren't so much fun anymore ;)
    Thanks.

Don
    Then you better get used to the computers.Alot of sites are available that provide info.Most of it is basic info.
    One thing you can do to learn is check out the automotive bulletin boards,forums or message boards.As far as I am concerned,there aren't that many good forums on the net.
    I have three favorites(not necessarily in this order):
    Edmund's (you couldn't have guessed that one)
    Automotive Rebuilder
    BAT Auto Technical

Those are my favs,there may even be more good ones,but most are kind of light on the technocal info.Hope this helps.
  • paul698paul698 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help i can get.
    I have a 1993 Chevy blazer that is giving off an odor, and idles and runs rough. I took it to the dealer and they said it is CMFI and that it would cost over $1000 to replace.
    I looked at alldata and there is a TSB (476516) that says to "check" the CMFI. Should i extrapolate this to mean that they should replace this for *free*. What does a TSB means in terms of repairs.. when is it free to the vehicle owner ?

I also did some checks and the CMFI is around $500 (more expensive than i want ot hear). I was thinking of doing it myself. Any pointers or advice on doing this would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • paul698paul698 Member Posts: 2
    0patience -
    Thanks for the response. The Chevy dealer (i hope) already did the diagnosis, because my local mechanic said it was an EGR valve and that there was a TSB for that. So i took it to the Chevy dealer and he said based on the diagnosis, it was not the EGR valve, but the CMFI.
    I cam home and start doing my homework .. and then found that there is yet another TSB for the CMFI. My question is: am i entitled to get the CMFI replaced for under TSB with no charge ?

Thanks again,

Paul
    Since it is a TSB and not a recall,I doubt it will be replaced for free,unless you have some extended warranty. Sorry
  • hughiem38hughiem38 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 98 Taurus SE with the 24V Durotec engine.
    After engine warmup and at about 1000 rpm and
    under light acceleration I have a shrill whistling
    noise coming from the engine, firewall area or
    dash, can't really tell. It goes away after about
    1700 rpm. On slowing down it comes back when almost
    stopped and while idling you can press the
    accelerator just barely and it whistles.The fuel
    press. regulator and IAC valve have been replaced
    with no luck. Of course the shop can't duplicate
    the problem. Other than that I love the car. Plenty
    of pep and good gas milage.The noise is there with
    the A/C on and off so not that. Anyone else had a
    similar problem?? Does anyone know if there is a TBS out on this subject?
  • dcwlddcwld Member Posts: 4
    I own a 93 Sts with the 32 Northstar engine. The car had a bad mis so I replaced the plugs and wires.

When I replaced the plugs the first thing I
    noticed is that one plug was burning with a white-
    spray paint type of coating on it. The rest were
    burning dark as normal for the 70,000 on them . But
    the one in the back cylinder was white. I replaced
    all of them . 1000 miles later the mis is back

So I replaced the plug in the one rear cylinder
    with another plug and the car ran a little better
    but the new plug was burning white again.

Does anyone have any clue what that means when a
    plug burns white. The car runs with a bad mis and
    when I rev it sometimes it backfires in the
    cylinder. Could it be a hung up valve doing this or
    could it be an injector ??? Anyone with info please
    help I am losing my mind over this thing...
    THANKS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • racerx_9racerx_9 Member Posts: 7
    Could you possibly post this TSB for a 1999 Intrigue?

83-96-07 AM Station Switching, Cross Talk or Overload

Thanks
    AM STATION SWITCHING ON STRONG LOCAL STATIONS, 'CROSS TALK' #83-96-07
    SUBJECT: AM STATION SWITCHING ON STRONG LOCAL STATIONS, "CROSS TALK" OR "OVERLOAD" (INSTALL IN-LINE ANTENNA JUMPER)

MODELS: 1998-99 BUICK CENTURY, LESABRE, PARK AVENUE, REGAL 1998-99 OLDSMOBILE INTRIGUE 1999 OLDSMOBILE ALERO 1998-99 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX WITH REAR WINDOW ANTENNA SYSTEM

CONDITION:

SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMMENT ON SWITCHING BETWEEN LOCAL STATIONS OR CROSS TALK IN METROPOLITAN AREAS WITH SEVERAL STRONG AM STATIONS. THEY MAY ALSO REPORT A HIGH PITCHED WHINE WHEN CLOSE TO HIGH TENSION POWER LINES. RECEPTION IS NORMAL WHEN OUTSIDE METROPOLITAN AREAS OR IN RURAL AREAS. THIS CONDITION OCCURS ONLY WITH THE REAR WINDOW ANTENNA SYSTEM.

THIS IS NOT A POOR RECEPTION, STATIC OR FRINGE AREA/WEAK STATION ISSUE. IT SHOULD ONLY OCCUR WITH THE REAR WINDOW ANTENNA SYSTEM, NOT WITH A FIXED MAST OR POWER ANTENNA.

CAUSE:

VEHICLES WITH THE REAR WINDOW ANTENNA SYSTEM MAY EXPERIENCE CROSS MODULATION FROM MULTIPLE STRONG LOCAL STATIONS. THIS IS ALSO REFERRED TO AS AM CROSS TALK OR OVERLOAD.

THIS CONDITION WILL BE CORRRECTED EARLY IN THE 1999 MODEL YEAR WITH INTERNAL CHANGES TO THE RADIO.

CORRECTION:

1. TEST DRIVE THE VEHICLE TO DETERMINE IF THE CONDITION CAN BE DUPLICATED. IF IT CAN, UNPLUG THE ANTENNA FROM THE REAR OF THE RADIO AND TEMPORARILY PLUG IN A FIXED MAST TEST ANTENNA. TEST THE VEHICLE AGAIN AND DETERMINE IF THE CONDITION IS CORRECTED. IF IT IS, PROCEED TO STEP 2. IF IT IS NOT, USE NORMAL RADIO DIAGNOSTICS TO DETERMINE THE CAUSE.

2. REMOVE THE RADIO AND ADD AN IN-LINE ANTENNA JUMPER WITH INTERNAL SUPPRESSION (P/N 09369442). THIS JUMPER PLUGS INTO THE RADIO AND THE ANTENNA PLUGS INTO THE JUMPER.

IMPORTANT:

PLUG THE JUMPER ONLY INTO THE BACK OF THE RADIO. ADDING THE JUMPER AT ANY OTHER POINT IN THE ANTENNA SYSTEM WILL LOWER THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE FIX.

ADDING THIS JUMPER WILL NOT CORRECT ANY RADIO NOISE CONDITIONS, NOR IMPROVE ANY OTHER AM OR FM RECEPTION CONDITION EXCEPT THE SPECIFIC CONDITION LISTED ABOVE. THIS JUMPER CHANGES THE IMPEDANCE OF THE ANTENNA AND MAY ACTUALLY RESULT IN A SLIGHT DEGRADATION IN FRINGE AREA PERFORMANCE.

PARTS INFORMATION:

P/N DESCRIPTION ================ ====================================

09369442 CABLE ASSEMBLY, RADIO ANTENNA JUMPER

PARTS ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GMSPO.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

FOR VEHICLES REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY, USE:

LABOR OPERATION LABOR OPERATION NUMBER DESCRIPTION TIME =============== ================================== ===============

R0750 RECEIVER, RADIO RETURN TO AC-DELCO USE PUBLISHED REMOVE + REPLACE LABOR OPERATION TIME

ADD: TO INSTALL JUMPER 0.1 HR

USE TROUBLE CODE 93

FIGURES: 00 ATTACHMENTS: 00

GENERAL MOTORS BULLETINS ARE INTENDED FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIANS, NOT A "DO-IT-YOURSELFER". THEY ARE WRITTEN TO INFORM THOSE TECHNICIANS OF CONDITIONS THAT MAY OCCUR ON SOME VEHICLES, OR TO PROVIDE INFORMATION THAT COULD ASSIST IN THE PROPER SERVICE OF A VEHICLE. PROPERLY TRAINED TECHNICIANS HAVE THE EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND KNOW-HOW TO DO A JOB PROPERLY AND SAFELY. IF A CONDITION IS DESCRIBED, DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE BULLETIN APPLIES TO YOUR VEHICLE, OR THAT YOUR VEHICLE WILL HAVE THAT CONDITION. SEE A GENERAL MOTORS DEALER SERVICING YOUR BRAND OF GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLE FOR INFORMATION ON WHETHER YOUR VEHICLE MAY BENEFIT FROM THE INFORMATION.

COPYRIGHT 1998 GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
  • erasburyerasbury Member Posts: 7
    While the NHTSA info is a good start, is there anyplace on the web where an average guy can get a full copy of a TSB/recall?
  • racerx_9racerx_9 Member Posts: 7
    You have to but it from helm, or alldata.
    If you read through the previous posts in this topic, you'll find where this has been discussed before. Some suggestions have been offered.

Pat
  • wareaglefanwareaglefan Member Posts: 1
    I've read all of the above comments on TSB's and I have a question. My 1992 Volvo 960 has had the rear crankshaft seal replaced THREE times (all at Volvo dealerships). The first time it was replaced was in Feb. '96--the car was under warranty. It has subsequently been replaced every 2 yrs!!! I found the following TSB a couple of nights ago at the NHTSA website:

Service Bulletin Number: DCS 2105
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 006
    Date of Bulletin: 9510
    NHTSA Item Number: SB046378
    Make: VOLVO
    Model: 960
    Year: 1992
    Component: ENGINE:PULLEY:CRANKSHAFT
    Summary: A COVER PLATE WAS INTRODUCED INTO PRODUCTION DURING SPRING 1995. THIS COVER PLATE WILL HELP PREVENT INGRESS OF WATER/DIRT ONTO THE REAR CRANKSHAFT SEAL SURFACE AND/OR THE STARTER.

Now, according to the paper trail (all the invoices) the above mentioned cover plate was not installed until the last time the seal was replaced (about 2 weeks ago). Notice that the date of issue of this service bulletin was 4 months before my seal was replaced the first time (while under warranty). My question is, shouldn't I be reimbursed for the last two times the seal was replaced since it wasn't done correctly the first time?

Oh, by the way, the car is BACK in the shop and now they are telling me the starter is bad...isn't that coincidental that the cover plate in the above TSB mentions the starter too...
    wareaglefan-

I would certainly bring this TSB to their attention and let them look it up on their own computer to get the full printout. Sounds like they messed up. If you don't get results from the dealer, call Volvo customer service and see what they say.

fastdriver
  • baiaobaiao Member Posts: 3
    I have the 99 Ford EXPEDITION with the 5.4L
    engine.
    During cold starts the engine knocks. The Ford
    dealer changed the fan clutch and belt. No help.
    Now Ford says they have several reports of engine
    knocks and recommend replacing the engine with a
    new and improved model.. WOW!!Has anyone heard of
    this service bulletin?
  • baiaobaiao Member Posts: 3
    Thank you! FASTDRIVER...Had I known this, I would not have bought this vehicle. Now, I have been told the new engine will arrive in December. Time to shop for another brand.
  • talldudetalldude Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of a TSB for a Dodge Caravan with fuel leaks in the fuel injection system? I thought I heard something a few months ago (on the news) about such an issue and now my Caravan has a strong fuel smell when the heater is on.
  • tronsrtronsr Member Posts: 46
    Can anyone confirm a post I read at the Yahoo Ford Escape Club that a TSB was sent to the Ford dealers about the Escape cabin fuel smell which many owners have complained about??? If you know, will you please post the TSB. Thanks
  • vandeanovandeano Member Posts: 27
    I heard they had a TSB on 1999 Suburbans and full size trucks that they where supposed to have the opitional Auxillary Transmission Oil Cooler but the factor never installed them.

My problem is that I have a 97 Suburban with option code KNP (Auxillary Transmission Oil Cooler) and this option is not on my truck, meaning I paid for it and it is also posted on inside glove box with all other option codes. But there is no Trany oil cooler installed.
    WHATS UP WITH THAT?
    I checked thru the GM program I have and GM's technical site as well as alldata and NHTSA and didn't find any TSB or recall on the oil cooler, other than a flushing procedure. If you have a specific TSB number I may be able to locate it.
    You can find the basic TSB's for your particular vehicles at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov Once there, click on problems and issues, then go to TSB.

fastdriver
  • vandeanovandeano Member Posts: 27
    I just found out this is common with GM. When the people who supply them with the cooler are out of stock, GM still ships out there trucks. With or without, I guess it is the consumer who has the responsibility to check to see if your options are there.
    My problems is that I found out 3 yrs to late. If anyone else out there has option code KNP (Auxiliary Transmission Cooler) just beware, you may not have it.
    Also, I guess it is just 1999 models with the TSB for that.
  • ford33ford33 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have information on this technical service bulletin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Service Bulletin Number: 8195
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 123
    Date of Bulletin: 0002
    NHTSA Item Number: SB612409
    Make: FORD
    Model: CONTOUR
    Year: 2000
    Component: SUSPENSION:SINGLE AXLE:REAR
    Summary: SOME VEHICLES BUILT ON DECEMBER 13, 1999, AT KANSAS CITY ASSEMBLY PLANT MAY EXHIBIT A CREAKING
    OR GRUNTING TYPE NOISE FROM THE REAR SUSPENSION.
  • markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    If anyone could post the full text of this TSB, I would really appreciate it. I'm trying to determine if this TSB addresses an issue I'm having with my new '00 Accord.

Service Bulletin Number: 000101
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 103
    Date of Bulletin: 0001
    NHTSA Item Number: SB610343
    Make: HONDA
    Model: ACCORD
    Year: 2000
    Component: LIGHTING:GENERAL OR UNKNOWN COMPONENT:INSTRUMENT LIGHTS
    Summary: INFORMATION ON AVOIDING DASHLIGHT FLICKER ON SOME VEHICLES. *TT
  • mazda_nutmazda_nut Member Posts: 25
    I am kind of getting confused on these - but even though my car is beyond the standard 30K warranty (Mazda Millenia), does this entitle me to have repairs made that were issued in various technical service bullitens?

Or does this only apply to a recall?

-MazNut
    mazda_nut -

TSB= Technical Service Bulletin- that car companies issue to their dealers. Some are for informational purposes only and some are for how to's on problem areas.

Your car only has a 30,000 mile warranty and not 36,000? There is a possibility that if you paid for a repair that was discussed in the TSB's that you could get a rebate. Not sure exactly how that would work, but Mazda should be able to clarify it for you.

You can check here to see all the TSB's issued for your car. Just put in the appropriate info.
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm

Hope this clarifies things somewhat.

fastdriver
  • markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    Mazda's have a 50,000 mileage limit on the factory warranty, not 36,000.
    This is a very good article and if you have questions about them,then you should read this article.Read the whole article.
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/editorial/features/tsb/index.html
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion got auto-archived because it had not had a new post in a while. I think it is a very useful discussion that we should keep around, so I am making it active again.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Board
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    Hi, I have a 96 Town and Country that has a minor seepage of coolant from the coolant line directing to the rear heater. I saw that this is on the alldata TSB. My van now has 102k miles. Can I call my dealer up and expect them to fix at no costs? Does it matter how many miles the vehicle has? thanks.
    SUBJECT: NO: 24-02-97
    Coolant Seepage At Underbody
    Auxiliary Rear Heater Line GROUP: Heater & A/C
    Hose Connection(s)

MODELS:
    1996 - 1997 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
    1996 - 1997 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)
    NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH REAR AUXILIARY
    HEATER.
    SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    Coolant seepage at rubber hose crimp connection(s) and/or the quick-connect fitting(s) of the underbody auxiliary rear heater coolant line hoses.
    DIAGNOSIS:
    Raise the vehicle on an appropriate hoist and inspect the crimp and quick-connect fittings of the underbody auxiliary rear heater coolant line hoses. If coolant is evident, perform the Repair Procedure.
    PARTS REQUIRED:
    2 04882938AB Hose Assembly, Heater Aux. Rear, with Quick Connect
    **2 04897046AA Hose & Clamp Assembly, 15 mm Heater**
    NOTE: DO NOT USE ANY OTHER CLAMPS FOR THIS APPLICATION. IF SCREW
    TYPE CLAMPS ARE USED THE LEAK WILL REOCCUR OVER TIME
    BECAUSE OF SHRINKAGE OF THE HOSE MATERIAL AND RESULTANT
    LOSS OF TENSION APPLIED BY THE CLAMP TO THE HOSE.

It isn't covered under a warranty.Unless you have an extended manufacturer's warranty.
    Sorry, but unless you have an extended warranty, it is at your cost.
    Edmunds.com feature on You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) by Erin Mahoney.

The article has great information and features one of our best contributors to this board - although you might not recognize him right off the bat (er.. sorry)!

(Hey 0patience - that's great work you are doing at your site!)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Message Center Message Boards
    Thanks, we are working on it.
    It is taking longer on some stuff than I have patience for though. LOL!!
    It goes to show you that there are many professional mechanics who are honest and care.
    0patience, who has for a long time very patiently helped many of our community members on this board (and others) is Tony Murray, site founder of Bat Auto Technical, a website that is discussed in great detail in the article I linked in my post above.

Tony is providing all kinds of help at his website, including the full text of TSBs free for the asking.

Of course if you ask him in any of the discussions on this board, he'll provide whatever information he can to help you out, and you won't even have to go to his site. But check out his site anyway - he has been so helpful to all of our Town Hall members, you should take a look at what he and his colleagues have put together, all in the spirit of being helpful to we, uh, rather, um, not-so-knowledgeable consumers.

Thank you, Tony. You truly have the spirit of our Town Hall community!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Ha ha, thanks you.
    We are fortunate to have many professional mechanics who frequent our site and provide what they can. Including alcan, who frequents here(I figure he can e put on the spot too.)LOL!!
    Guys who like to help and are proud of the job they do.I'd like to take the credit for our site being where it is, but we have 100 professional mechanic members and there is little the guys can't figure out.For us, Edmunds is a great place for us to see some of the problems that consumers are having on a large scale.