Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Technical Service Bulletins

bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
of the Finance, Warranty, and Insurance
Conference's Technical Service Bulletins: (Topic
#42)

Bonnie Rick
Town Hall Community Manager, edmunds.com

Comments

• anne4anne4 Member Posts: 35
    Other than recalls for safety issues (NHTSA), what are internet sources for TSBs?
  • gusgus Member Posts: 254
    You might try here:

http://www.alldata.com

It looks like they have Service Bulletins available for consumers. If you check the site out, please be sure to return to tell us what you think!
  • scooter7scooter7 Member Posts: 1
    The 4matic light just stays on and we have lost 4 wheel drive. Problem and cost. I forgot to mention that this is a 1990 Mercedes 300te. It has about 105,000 miles.
  • anne4anne4 Member Posts: 35
    I cruised around the Alldata site. Looks pretty good. I have a 99 Honda Odyssey and was curious to see if any TSBs have been posted for it yet. Unfortunately, Alldata doesn't show any info for 99s yet. I'll definitely check back to see if they do later on.

Thanks for the tip!
    Anne, you may be waiting a while. Manufacturers are never too quick to release their TSBs to an organization that is not strictly related to their vehicles (that is, dealerships).

I wish you luck, though!
  • jesse25jesse25 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have 1978 Chevy Truck. It is a farm truck. It is a camper special. IT has two batteries. We really won't ever use the other battery. I think that the battery that is called the house battery is most likey not good. Is it bad for the Alternator to have the second battery? I would like to take the battery out, but I don't know if I can. Maybe someone can give me some info. Thanks
  • markwandmarkwand Member Posts: 1
    The alldata site doesn't seem to have info for TSB's for Toyota. Any other known sites that might have this?
  • chevyochevyo Member Posts: 1
    what does the *YC mean after the posted technical service bulletin?
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    I heard you can get TSB's at the library?
  • san147san147 Member Posts: 1
    hondas are having alot of problems with there car so try to avoid them
  • sagitar1sagitar1 Member Posts: 1
    just received recall on 98 Neon concerning faulty spot welds. May result in fuel leakage in rear end accident. FYI
    san147, that seems like a pretty general statement. Is there something particular that makes you say/think that?
  • DevanderDevander Member Posts: 1
    Am interested in success of anyone getting help after factory warranty has expired for air bags, head gasket, and transaxle repair for 1992 Lincoln continental, Please e-mail FBrown9@aol.com
  • murray3murray3 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 97 GMC Sierra, 5.0 automatic, extended cab truck. It has 12000 miles on it. It has a mysterous clunking sound coming from the floorboard of firewall when I start out and sometimes when I slow down. My dealer says they do not know how to fix it and that every 97 model does it. They insist that nothing is wrong. I paid 26000 dollars for a vehicle which clunks. I have owned 2500 clunkers which didn't clunk. Does anyone have a fix for this and does anyone know why GMC can't and shouldn't fix it? Help?
  • riccojdriccojd Member Posts: 1
    I have a Saturn with about 78000 miles and a cracked engine head (due to/ or because of a sudden engine overheat). I know this is a little high in the mileage dept. but does anyone think that this should happen to a car built in the 90's. I'd really like some opinions before I declare war on Saturn.
    Yes, it happens to cars built in the '90s. Heads warp, crack, seep, etc., especially if they're overheated. Some things to consider before you wage war: The sudden overheat, was it something that could've been prevented by regular maintenance? Do you regularly maintain your car? Do you have service records? Are there notes warning you of a possible problem with the car's cooling system? If you answered "yes" to the last question, is it a problem that may have caused the overheating, or a problem that you decided to do nothing about?

I'm not trying to use "victim blame" techniques here, I'm just trying to illustrate how many variables are in play. When you go to Saturn, you'll have to make a good case. Unless they've had a rash of cracked heads, it's unlikely that they'll do anything for you unless you're still under warranty, or just out of warranty (in which case they may "goodwill" the job--if you've been a regular customer).
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Gus, is it a possibility that running low octane in a car that requires high octane could cause such a severe problem in the long run?
    fireman, check here:

http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/recalls.html

This site may put you on the right track, as far as voicing a complaint goes.
  • mrboomrboo Member Posts: 5
    (san147) WHAT !!!!!!!! the only vehicle you could be talking about is the HONDA PASSPORT, which is really an Isuzu Rodeo. I can't believe HONDA put their name on this rag !!
  • mrboomrboo Member Posts: 5
    (fireman) NEONs have been rated as dead last in reliability for the last few years. Overall Chrysler is building vehicles that just don't last. Come on folks'if ya want no problems and long term reliability ya gotta buy Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc. Cya
    Those all sound good, with the exception of nissan. You are more likely to have long-term reliability problems with a nissan than you are with a toyota or a honda.
  • arazaraz Member Posts: 27
    Anyone out there that has access to GMC tech service bulletins? Still lookin' for one or two for 1997.
  • rrosa01rrosa01 Member Posts: 2
    I just found on the web some Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) for my Pontiac which is no longer covered by the manufacture's warranty (older than 3 years). Am I entitled to have this work performed free of charge by the dealer?
    I don't think there is an easy answer. If it is safety related, I'd say it is a sure thing. If not, you may have to do much yelling and screaming to get the work done. Start by asking nicely. What issues are you dealing with here?
  • rrosa01rrosa01 Member Posts: 2
    Nothing major, car pulling to left or right and knock noise from engine under certain conditions.
    You found TSB's? There are flaws producing this?

The reason I ask: These can be caused by many common reasons. What octane do you use, and what is recommended? How long since a tire rotation and alignment?
  • meemeemeemee Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking for info on 99 Toyota Avalons.
    Handleing-ride-TIRES
    Where to find 99 service bulletins-I can find 98 and back on-line but not new ? Anybody know?
    Is there a specific problem that you're looking for help with?
  • meemeemeemee Member Posts: 8
    General tires needed replaced after 7600 miles. Toyota says tires defective-I suspect car is at fault-(alignment possibly)
  • rac17rac17 Member Posts: 1
    Have '98 Grand Voyager. The serpentine or tensioner belt(s) falls off or walks off when driving under wet conditions. Has happened 3x. Van has 15,000 mi. I don't drive through deep water or through puddles, just normal driving when roadway/pavement is wet. I immediately lose power steering, some braking ability, etc. The dealership fixes it as it is under warranty. Cannot locate any TSB, but have had mechanic and tow drivers tell us this is common problem. I'm still trying to get any response from Chrysler/Plymouth zone office and customer service. Help!
  • spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    Indeed, if this is a common problem, you would expect to find a TSB. Lacking such, I would check the following: Be certain the tensioner spring is good, idler bearing is good, and the pivot works freely. Make sure the belt length is correct; you may be using one intended for another model which is just a little too long. If Chrysler has a specification for belt tension; check it with a belt tension gauge. Check alignment of all pulleys; an error of <2 mm in the thickness of an accessory mounting spacer could be enough to cause poor tracking and make the system vulnerable to a modest amount of water splash.
    Excellent advice. The spacer issue came immediately to my mind as well.
  • darrelldarrell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Ford Taurus that needed the speedometer/odometer assembly replaced at 49,000 miles because the speedometer needle would swing wildly and bounce up and down during highway driving. During around town driving it would usually register about 5 miles fast. The new speedometer/odometer unit is now having the same problem and this started at around 25,000 miles. The Ford dealership is telling me that they only warrant for 12 months or 12,000 miles, both of which are expired. I don't feel that I should need to pay again for a new speedometer and that Ford must have a problem with this part. This is the seventh Ford Taurus I have had as a company car and have never had this problem. Has there been any history of this speedometer assembly failing on the 1995 Ford Taurus. Is there someone at Ford Motor where I can take my complaint? Thanks!
  • jw1jw1 Member Posts: 1
    My Buick LeSabre dealer tells me I need to replace transaxle with a new unit on '92 with 58,000 + miles because of leak from Helix converter seal. Independent transmission shop thinks it can be fixed with a seal replacement. Anyone had any experience with this problem? Thanks.
    Darrell, if the Taurus has a mechanical drive cable from the transmission to the speedometer/odometer, you have described the classic symptoms of a defective cable. A frayed inner cable, crimped cable sheath, poor lubrication ...will cause the wild swings in the speed indication. Cable/sheath replacement is a minor job; far less expensive than the new instrument assembly.

Above info is not directly applicable, however,if the Taurus speedometer/odometer uses an electronic pulse signal rather than the mechanical cable. If so, sorry I cannot make a specific suggestion... but I would inquire about the source of the speed signal to the instrument. Possibly a poor electrical connection.
  • jlc4jlc4 Member Posts: 16
    I agree with your assessment, but if the only changed the speedo unit and not the cable would he not have noticed the same problem right away.
    jlc4
    Good point, jlc4, it almost certainly would be as you say. I presumed that cable replacement was part of the original speedometer replacement job. Regarding the cause of two successive cable failures ...puzzling. Maybe the routing has a too-sharp bend.
  • lovehondalovehonda Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I just found this site and have been reading everyone's complaints about service bulletins. I had a problem with my 87 Honda Prelude, all I did is call the dealership, they ran my vin # and told me about the outstanding recalls on my car. I am not sure if that works from all manufactures or not, but it is this way with Honda, any it only takes having your vin #.
  • mmuhammmuham Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in trying to find a web address that might be able to give me a number of how many
    people engage the power/emergency brake whenever
    they exit the car and leave it idling. I am very curious as to whether this is a common practice
    thank you in advance
  • roadratroadrat Member Posts: 1
    Technical Service Bulletins--Easy to get--but do you want to pay??? Me thinks the alldata people and others are missing the boat--they sit on a ship load of the data FROM THE 70'S/80'S AND EARLY 90'S---GIVE AWAY the old info on the net and sell the new!--If only people knew what Tsb's can do to help diagnose etc --maybe the big three and the imports pay them off??/ Maybe I found a new JoB????
  • charlesfcharlesf Member Posts: 28
    I have a 1991 Chrysler New Yorker. The cruise control stopped working. I have checked the vac. hoses and electrical connections. Any suggestions on where I can look next?
  • billy9billy9 Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know where you can read the whole TSB other than going to the dealer each time. The ALLDATA and NHTSA sites only list the bulletin # and subject. Tried my library, they don't have either. Appreciate any help.
  • jfahey1jfahey1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Dodge Caravan , which has a gas gage that does what it wants. After filling the tank , it states full for approximantly 60 miles and then will bounce from empty to half to 3/4 full then to full and back again.The mechanic I have talked to say the until it is completely broken , they do not know what to fix. Is there anyone who knows what the problem is or of technical bulletin that will give me an answer

Thanks in advance
    jack
  • jjam66jjam66 Member Posts: 1
    i have replace the alternation, battery, and starter solenoid on my 89 mercury topaz it ran for 1 day.i put a screwdriver between the two screws on the solenoid and it start.anyone can u help me
  • junkmailpatjunkmailpat Member Posts: 1
    To: Jack (jfahey1) with the 94 Caravan with gas gauge problem. We had the same (or very similar) problem with our 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager and got the same "just don't know what it is" from the dealer. One of the repair people eventually told us they had encountered this problem a number of times. We also had difficulty fully filling the tank. They finally replaced the gas tank and the problem went away. Make them fix it. They already know about this problem and they know how to correct it! They just figure it is not enough of a head ache for you to do anything about it. Keep their feet to the fire.
    Jam66, I wish I knew exactly how the car is wired to find out what you are bypassing by shorting the solenoid. Perhaps the ignition module where you put the key in is bad?
  • I had this a problem with the surpentine belt on my 94 Grand Voyager slipping off just after I replaced the original equipment belt. Put it back on about 6 times but kept jumping off. Talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he recommended that I replace it with a "name" belt, rather than the one that I had purchased at a auto discount store. Put on a Goodyear Belt ($35.00) and have not had any trouble for the last 25000 miles.
  • jharoldjharold Member Posts: 11
    Is there any way to find out the year of a chevy engine by the serial number on the block?