Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    xwesx said:

corvette said:

breld said:

It's a good example of how you don't need the snows 90% of the time, but that 10% can cause a lot of stress.

I forgot to add, this little episode was on perfectly level ground!

The new Pilot looks a lot bigger than the old one, but I think I read it's only a few inches longer.

My Fiesta is squirrelly as all get out when I have the stock all-season Kuhmo tires on it with snow/ice on the ground! But, put a set of Blizzak WS-70 on it, and BOOM! - winter car for the ages.

Okay, so that might be a *bit* of a stretch, but it does perform well on the slick stuff while still allowing for at-will power-sliding to up the "fun" ante. If only I could turn off the TCS; that's what I get for having an early-production vehicle from a first generation: Ford added the 'off' feature to this model in November of 2010.

I hate that it simply fails to scale my driveway if we get fresh snow, though. Up to an inch is okay, but after that it gets dicey. More than 3"? Forget about it!
    The Mazdaspeed(on Cooper Zeon RS3-As) was definitely at a disadvantage to the 3er(Blizzak LM-25s) and the Wrangler(BFG All-Terrain KOs- rated for severe snow). The Dunlop Radial Rover RVXTs I had on the Jeep were also rated for severe snow, but the KOs are an order of magnitude better. After I fitted the KOs I was driving through about 11" of snow with no issues- uphill and downhill. And then I noticed I was still in 2WD.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Wish me luck everybody. I just submitted paperwork to refinance my house.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Good luck! I just got some preapprovals for the shopping process and a local credit union was the easiest to work with. 
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2015
    Cheap rates right now although they are creeping back up a bit. Still lower than when we brought mid October. They sure require a lot more info than they did in the '90s (which is probably a good thing....).

No contact by my Kia salesperson; poor guy doesn't have a clue about sales I don't think. Or they've already written me off.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    edited February 2015
    I hate it when Q is right. :)

Just to get an idea of what trade would be on my 5-series, I went to CarMax over my lunch hour. Their appraisal was exactly what Q had estimated on the RWTIV forum - several thousand less than KBB.

Now, I understand what KBB and other online sources are, and more importantly, what they're not. But using that as a starting point, I was sorely disappointed by the actual value from CarMax.

Now for those who know, are the offers from CarMax generally in line with legitimate trade offers from a dealership?

If nothing else, it gives me an idea of where I would want to be on a private party sale, which was more or less the point of my visit.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    nyccarguy said:

Good luck! We refinanced about 2 years ago, 15 yr fixed. The monthly payment went up slightly and it is great to see the principal actually go down each month. Best financial decision I've made recently.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

While I was there at CarMax, I did take out a lightly used WRX - 2013 hatchback with 12k miles.

Like every other WRX test drive I've been on thus far, I find myself focused at first on the somewhat harsh ride, noise (and maybe rattles) in the cabin, and the less than stellar interior. Then, invariably, with every test drive, I find the car endearing by the end.

Which is to say I still have that on the list along with the Mazda3 - maybe the Civic Si as a longshot.

Though you'd really have to want a hatchback to buy a used one - CarMax priced this particular WRX about $1,500 more than a new one, comparably equipped. Sheesh!

sda said:

nyccarguy said:

Good luck! We refinanced about 2 years ago, 15 yr fixed. The monthly payment went up slightly and it is great to see the principal actually go down each month. Best financial decision I've made recently.
    We did the same thing, about the same time. Though our monthly payment went up more than "slightly." But like you, the wife and I consider it one of our best financial decisions as well. We figured (rightly so) that the extra payment would end up being spent on something (uh, like cars), so may as well lock it in on the mortgage instead. Not that it has dampened our car purchases. :)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    breld said:

Just to get an idea of what trade would be on my 5-series, I went to CarMax over my lunch hour. Their appraisal was exactly what Q had estimated on the RWTIV forum - several thousand less than KBB.

Now, I understand what KBB and other online sources are, and more importantly, what they're not. But using that as a starting point, I was sorely disappointed by the actual value from CarMax.

Now for those who know, are the offers from CarMax generally in line with legitimate trade offers from a dealership?

If nothing else, it gives me an idea of where I would want to be on a private party sale, which was more or less the point of my visit.

I thought the idea is that they were typically higher because they are willing to pay auction cost plus fees straight to you, the seller, in anticipation of keeping it and selling themselves rather than wholesaling it. I would imagine, if their offer is what I told you, they don't want to keep it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

jayrider said:

qbrozen said:

So if I rule out AWD, I've discovered you can actually get a pretty darned nice CPO car with low miles for somewhere in the teens. The Buick LaCrosse looks like alot of car for the money, but the GM CPO warranty has gotta be one of the worst ones out there.

Isn't the CPO an extension of the standard warranty which goes 4 years ? My loaded 2012 AWD Premium 1 is only worth 20k at best. Should be some deals out there.
    its 12mo/12k miles bumper-to-bumper limited from date of purchase and 5/100k powertrain from original in-service date. So for a car off 3-year lease, you'd only get 2 years powertrain and 1 year B-2-B.

For comparison:
    Ford, Toyota, and Honda are 12/12 and 7/100k
    Chrysler is only 3mo/3k B2B but 7/100k powertrain

Hell, even Jaguar is 6yr/100k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

breld said:

I thought the idea is that they were typically higher because they are willing to pay auction cost plus fees straight to you, the seller, in anticipation of keeping it and selling themselves rather than wholesaling it. I would imagine, if their offer is what I told you, they don't want to keep it.
    Hmm - wonder why they wouldn't want to keep it? I looked back at your reply; CarMax did come in $1k higher.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    edited February 2015
    qbrozen said:

jayrider said:

qbrozen said:

So if I rule out AWD, I've discovered you can actually get a pretty darned nice CPO car with low miles for somewhere in the teens. The Buick LaCrosse looks like alot of car for the money, but the GM CPO warranty has gotta be one of the worst ones out there.

Isn't the CPO an extension of the standard warranty which goes 4 years ? My loaded 2012 AWD Premium 1 is only worth 20k at best. Should be some deals out there.
    its 12mo/12k miles bumper-to-bumper limited from date of purchase and 5/100k powertrain from original in-service date. So for a car off 3-year lease, you'd only get 2 years powertrain and 1 year B-2-B.

For comparison:
    Ford, Toyota, and Honda are 12/12 and 7/100k
    Chrysler is only 3mo/3k B2B but 7/100k powertrain

Hell, even Jaguar is 6yr/100k.
    I thought the CPO was one year after the factory warranty expired. That would be two years for a low mile 3 year old car. Not great if that has changed to just one year.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    breld said:

Their appraisal was exactly what Q had estimated on the RWTIV forum - several thousand less than KBB.

I can't seem to find this forum (Edmunds, this format is HORRIBLE for searching!!!). Will someone post a link so I can bookmark it?

Thanks!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited February 2015
    Real-World Trade-In Values (you can also find it using "RWTIV site:forums.edmunds.com" in a search engine, at least until we change the URL. :p )
    44,000+ replies in this thread... Will Edmunds send us all a slice of cake when we hit 50k?
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    corvette said:

44,000+ replies in this thread... Will Edmunds send us all a slice of cake when we hit 50k?

How about a nice, new Trabant?

:D
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    I got a few nice small gifts from Edmunds during the week...was a nice surprise!!! :)

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I've got a few financial goals with my refinance. 1st, I want to lower my interest rate. 2nd, I want to get out of my current FHA loan and into a conventional loan. Third, I'd like to eliminate paying PMI. Fourth, I'd like to lower my monthly payment. I've been in my house 5 years (this coming July), so even though my new refinanced mortgage will be for 30 years (essentially resetting the clock), The mortgage broker will figure out how much principle I'll have to add every month to pay it off in 25 years.

We've got a lot of work we need to do to the house starting with (hopefully) this summer's kitchen renovation. Followed by having our hardwood floors restrained, then the house repainted, then have our driveway ripped up & re-done, followed by a new deck...

BTW, there is definitely going to be another mortgage/lending meltdown. Money is getting thrown around by these banks & brokers like it is pre-2008. They are offering ARMs & HELOCs as well as other unconventional financing options...

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited February 2015
    Agreed. I am seeing a lot of advertisements for zero down home loans. What could possibly go wrong with that? I don't think it will be as bad as 2008, but some lenders haven't learned any lessons.

I was not that impressed with the mortgage broker I applied with. Was friendly enough and the fees were in line with the other two lenders, but I was very turned off by the slick sales presentation with questionable, over-generalized financial advice (e.g., mortgages are a great deal because the interest is usually 100% tax deductible; never try to pay off your mortgage early). If we're being fair, mortgage interest only helps your taxes to the extent your itemized deduction exceeds the standard deduction. And it may be a great deal to pay the mortgage off early, especially if you're in a lower tax bracket or the interest doesn't cause you to exceed the standard deduction by much (or at all). They glossed over these intricacies. Maybe I should've been a CPA... :p
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    edited February 2015
    I'd like to have a Trabi, duroplast car with a chainsaw engine, what's not to like? :)

All this house talk makes me feel like I am missing out - pretty much all detached housing within at an hour of where I work (during times people actually work and drive) is simply unaffordable for single income people making under 150K. Oh well, I'll survive.
    slorenzen said:

corvette said:

How about a nice, new Trabant?

:D
    I think I spoke with 3 banks and 4 brokers. I put together an excel spreadsheet and went with the guy who listened to what I wanted and was completely straight up with me.

edited February 2015
    I found a great guy at a local bank after the company I originally contacted for a 30 year conventional a few months back was floating a lot of fees.

Wound up living across the street from the great guy. :)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Breld, look at an Ilx 6 speed. Basically an Si, with a better ride, vastly improved interior, and a bunch more Luxo features. A mature hot rod.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I'm bummed they did away with the 6 speed manual on the newly facelift ILX, but perhaps I should check out a used one anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited February 2015
    nyccarguy said:

I think I spoke with 3 banks and 4 brokers. I put together an excel spreadsheet and went with the guy who listened to what I wanted and was completely straight up with me.

Call Dave Ramsey's guys at Church Hill mortgage He is always bragging about them on his radio show. My only question / concern is Out of state mortgage brokers.. R they governed by your states bi laws. Meaning you do not want this company to turn around and sell your debt to another company which could change the rate or conditions of your loan. All mortgage companies that are not governed in your state.... pass on .

On a 30 yr fixed rate mortgage paying 1 extra payment a year will knock off almost 6 years. In addition to the extra payment if you set up with mortgage company/ your bank to take additional money out monthly ( say 200 more a month ) you will knock off some more years and tens off thousands of dollars in interest paid over the lifetime of your loan.

Also if bank or broker is offering a bi weekly program at NO charge do it. Otherwise pay down your debt with extra principal payments/ extra cash every month.

https://www.churchillmortgage.com/dave/default.aspx

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited February 2015
    I dunno, this is my 7th house over the years. One was almost paid for when we left AK (15 year first loan but we refi'd). UP housing was so cheap we just paid cash for the last one. A couple in the early years made a bit of money ($10k back in '77 was a goodly sum). Most just broke even, ignoring maintenance. The current house will be free and clear when I'm 92. :)

All in all, I'd rather have the monthly cash flow available for other stuff than try to pay the house off early. Done a lot better putting that house "equity" in the DOW. Houses haven't been an appreciating asset for me since 1980.
    "I don't think it will be as bad as 2008, but some lenders haven't learned any lessons."

What lesson IS there, when you can be bailed out at taxpayer expense?

:@
    slorenzen said:

"I don't think it will be as bad as 2008, but some lenders haven't learned any lessons."

What lesson IS there, when you can be bailed out at taxpayer expense?

:@

While I also blame the lenders, the Feds force them to make sub-prime loans as well. My dad helped start an S&L back in the '60s and that S&L NEVER had to foreclose on a borrower until it was forced to start following Federal guidelines...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Which begs the question: Why are the Feds telling banks how to run their business?

Is it "fairness"?

Again, I say :@
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    @fintail - my CA buddy sent me a pic of an ad for a 2006 MB CLS500. 52000 miles for about $20K. What say you?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Nice post - you make it sound like we're at the beginning of another golden age of automobiles. (Or was it the beer talking, lol?).

No action at the Korean exhibits? Or just no interest on your part?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited February 2015

Went to the Cincinnati Auto Show last night. It was better than what I have seen there in recent years,...

Thank you for the thorough, clear review of the car show experience.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Stever....I did stop by Kia and Hyundai. Nice vehicles. I can see the allure of the new Genesis. Still hard for me to make the connection with the K900 and Equus. Still, lots of car for the money. I wouldn't mind getting some seat time in the Genesis. Last one I drove was the previous ten. Nice car. Suspension was a little wonky. Drove a rental Genesis last year, too. I understand it was a rental, but it was pretty ragged with just 15K miles on it. So, I'd be a bit concerned about durability.

Amazing to me how far all manufacturers have come in just a few years as far as the quality of their vehicles, however. I can remember 5 or 6 years ago going to the auto show and the gaps were much larger, the buttons and controls feeling rather flimsy....lots of hard plastic, even in expensive cars.

GM has made a dramatic turn around in those areas. They are putting out some of the nicest vehicles I looked at.

We talk about customer service in the luxury brands all the time in different threads. If Kia and Hyundai can nail customer service down, they would do themselves a huge favor. If the Genesis drives like it looks, they would go on my short list. They've got that MPG bugaboo they are dealing with.

BTW, the Cadillac ATS Coupe is super sexy.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Biggest problem I have with luxury GM cars is gas mileage, only fair even with today's lower but increasing gas/oil prices. Agree though that GM is putting out some nice products these days.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Very nice summary, @graphicguy. Regarding the pony cars, they all miss the mark for me. The Camaro is too bulky and has terrible visibility; the Challenger has much the same problem for me except it is even more bulky; and the Mustang, while coming closest to the mark for me, just does nothing for me in the styling department now. I understand the new Camaro will be built on the Cadillac ATS platform, which may solve that problem for me.

I just wish the manufacturers would respect the spirit of the original ponycars: relatively small and light, lots of bright colors inside, and affordable.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Here's a good example of a legitimate internet price quote. It's not the tricky "Get E-Price" buttons on the dealer website we've been discussing, but...

A dealer that happens to be local to me advertises on ClubWRX.com and offers quotes on request. So, I e-mail the individual and ask for a quote on a fully loaded WRX Limited with the HK/Navigation package.

MSRP - $34,054
    Dealer Invoice - $31,738
    Quote - $30,238 plus tax.

Pretty darn good I think.

edited February 2015

Went to the Cincinnati Auto Show last night. It was better than what I have seen there in recent years, but not like it was before the economic meltdown 7-8 years ago. They actually had a sit down beer stand in the middle of the show. How can that be bad?

No big surprises.

LIKES...

-Range Rover EVOQ-kind of surprised I liked it as much as I did. Not too big or too small. The one I saw was in the low $40s. If they ever improve their reliability, I'd consider one.

@laurasdada.....I don't think they make a bad looking Jag, do they?

-When did Buicks start making such nice looking vehicles. Regal I had sort of forgotten about. But, it's still a nicely done car. I'd buy an Enclave if I was in the market for an SUV. Nicely put together vehicles.

-Speaking of SUVs, I know the Jeeps have just been redone, but unless I was looking at a Wrangler (which I really like), I'd probably skip the rest of their lineup.

-Having been a former Tahoe owner, these have become very, very nice full size SUVs. $70K for an LTZ? I think I paid in the low $40s for my LTZ from 2006. Hard for me to see how they can justify even $65K sales prices. But, they had a crowd around them. Pickups? Hard to argue against buying a Silverado or the Colorado.

-Really liked the look and seating of the Lexus RX350. Thought it was supposed to be a Mommy Wagon. I'd consider one. At one point, I thought I would consider an IS 350 F Sport. Too cramped. GS 350 F Sport would be more my speed. Nicely done.

-No disrespect intended for some of the friends here who have Mercedes E 350s, They are very nice cars. but the C class is a homer for Benz. It's an S Class that's smaller with a little motor. But, it's also ⅓ an S Class price. The C is not that much smaller than the E Class, either. It's certainly nicer on the inside than the E Class. Can't wrap my mind around the MB SUVs. For that kind of money, there are much nicer vehicles that do the same thing for less money.

-Ford? Mustang, Mustang, Mustang. Great job. Would put it on my short list and can see myself buying another one sometime in the future. F150 shows its appeal. No wonder it's a vehicle that's so popular. Get a cheap one for work. Get a loaded one and you've got a do it all luxury vehicle.

-Lincoln....'ya know...they try really hard. I was just walking through and was asked if I wanted to get a $75 gift card from them. Sure! I explained that I already got one 3 months ago. No matter. They want me to give ti another shot. OK!

-I can see the appeal those of you in these threads with the Charger and Challenger. Good American muscle in comfortable packages. I really, really liked the Challenger Scat Pack. Hard to dislike anything about those two cars and performance for right around $40K. You might get a little more performance out of a Camaro or Mustang, but I'm not sure it matters if you aren't tracking those cars. Aside from that, and you're only going to be on the road, I'd take the Lime Green one I saw on the show floor. I'd dump the automatic for a manual. Sweet car.

BMW? I sat in a 5 Series that was equipped about the same as my CTS.....$70K. Really? I love me some BMWs, but I wouldn't trade my car heads up for it. 3 series is their brad and butter. Hard to make the case for one at nearly $60K, though.

-Caddy....styling's subjective, but these were some of the finest looking cars on the floor. They're also crafted as well as any car, at any price that I looked at. Not, all that said, $85K for an Escalade? Don't see it. But, there was a 3 deep line to sit in one. Go figure.

The rest? Nothing that struck me as anything I'd spend much time looking at other than a quick glance. Maybe the VW GTI, but that's about it.

Yes, the Challenger Scat Pack ticks all the right boxes for me. With HIDs, heated seats/wheel, and decent audio the MSRP is only $42,380 for the stick and $42,780 for the automatic. I would normally go for three pedals in a heartbeat but the eight speed ZF is such a nice gearbox- and faster to boot. The cheapskate side of me also likes a new R/T stick at a nearby dealer- every option but a hole in the rood and electronic nannies- for $5,000 less. Unfortunately, it's not any faster-and likely slower-than my MS3. I do love the color combo, however- it's the twin to this Car and Driver test car.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    breld said:

Here's a good example of a legitimate internet price quote. It's not the tricky "Get E-Price" buttons on the dealer website we've been discussing, but...

A dealer that happens to be local to me advertises on ClubWRX.com and offers quotes on request. So, I e-mail the individual and ask for a quote on a fully loaded WRX Limited with the HK/Navigation package.

MSRP - $34,054
    Dealer Invoice - $31,738
    Quote - $30,238 plus tax.

Pretty darn good I think.

Surprisingly, one of my local Ford dealers does the exact same thing.

I emailed asking for quotes on two new cars on their lot before buying my Fusion last year. Very helpful and made me want to do business with them.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

I do love the color combo, however- it's the twin to this Car and Driver test car.

Ugh, the manual has a skip-shift function like the Firebird/Camaro V8s used to have. It was easy to disable on those, but I'm not sure whether that's true with modern electronics. One more reason to go with the automatic!
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I can understand being underwhelmed by the E compared to some other models - the E is the senior member of the MB lineup, with production having started about 6 years ago. It received a facelift, but a relatively mild one, especially inside (although I do think the interior refresh is nice). W212 has about 12-14 months left of production, the new model should be in production by late next spring.
    I do like the E class dashboard though. Doesn't have the silly ipad stuck on the dash.

corvette said:

I do love the color combo, however- it's the twin to this Car and Driver test car.

Ugh, the manual has a skip-shift function like the Firebird/Camaro V8s used to have. It was easy to disable on those, but I'm not sure whether that's true with modern electronics. One more reason to go with the automatic!
    I's easy to disable; there's an inexpensive PnP module that tricks the ECU into disabling the skip-shift function.

I dont know what it is about the s80 that i find so damned appealing. I'm sure stickguy is with me on this:
    http://www.schneidernelsonaudi.com/used/Volvo/2010-Volvo-S80-west-long-branch-nj-9a0818200a0a00de16507dd20091de11.htm

that is nice. i do like those. A combination of factors. I think they look very nice. Not overly large. Fantastic interior and great seats. That one is even going to be pretty quick, and lots of grip with the T6/QWD package. Downside, not great MPG, but for a quick AWD luxo car, not too bad. Not sure what it will do real world.

I could live with that, though not my favorite color combo. Plus I would be fine with FWD/3.2!

qbrozen said:

I dont know what it is about the s80 that i find so damned appealing. I'm sure stickguy is with me on this:
    http://www.schneidernelsonaudi.com/used/Volvo/2010-Volvo-S80-west-long-branch-nj-9a0818200a0a00de16507dd20091de11.htm

Your S70 is too damned old to begin with. Better jump on that S80 while there's still time.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I went to the Cincinnati show, today.. some thoughts..

$68K for a Kia K900? Not really seeing it.. even with 429 HP.. Do you think LeBron really drives one?

Mitsubishi... didn't show

Audi: Only brought 4 cars, but they were the RS7, S8, S3 and Q5 TDI. RS7 is a turbo V-8 with 560 HP, AWD and 21" wheels.... :o

Porsche only brought a Cayman S and a base Boxster and they were both locked
    Volvo only brought an S60 and an XC60.

Mercedes had a great display.. GLA450 AMG, included

VW display was all white.. 8 cars, all in white... a little weird, but they looked great. Directly across the aisle from the new white GTI was a new white Focus ST. Two direct competitors with similar MSRPs. Interesting.

Mustang vs. Camaro vs. Challenger?

Mustang is sleek and cool. Mustang GT starts about $38K, while the model they had on display was $44.5K
    Camaro models on display were the Z28 and ZL1. A little overstyled.. sort of cartoonish.. but, some serious motors.
    Challenger: Compared to the other two, it looks like a big fat pig. I liked the retro Superbird green on the Scat Pack model, but really big.. and really heavy. Can't imagine picking it over the Mustang.

Lexus also had a nice display.. Had the RC F model. Remember when the LS460 was an S-Class competitor? Not if you see them side-by-side, which they nearly were at the show..

I love Acuras.. but, put them next to Lexus and Mercedes and they dissolve into the background.

Lots and lots of Range Rovers and Jaguars.. Big display and impressive.

BMW had the new i8 supercar and i3 electric, but not much else.

Infiniti? Boring.

Cadillac. Really like the ATS, sedan and coupe. The CTS has a horrible giant Cadillac crest on the grille. Maybe some of the other models do, as well... but, that really jumped out at me.

Subaru: Why can't you get a hatchback WRX?

Pickup trucks are everywhere, and look great! Gas is cheap!

The new vans are pretty cool... Ford Transit Connect looks like a pretty efficient people mover.

You could fit a 4th row in a Suburban or Expedition EL. (not that it has one.. but, the room is there)

Mazda has ruined the looks of the Mazda3 Hatchback... smoothed it out, way too much.

The new 4-door MINI is a good replacement for the dorky Clubman.

I'm used to the pretty women up on the turntables, but this year, there were a couple roaming each manufacturer's display. Something about young attractive women smiling at an old man like me, and wanting to talk makes me check for my wallet. Vaguely uncomfortable. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:
    that is nice. i do like those. A combination of factors. I think they look very nice. Not overly large. Fantastic interior and great seats. That one is even going to be pretty quick, and lots of grip with the T6/QWD package. Downside, not great MPG, but for a quick AWD luxo car, not too bad. Not sure what it will do real world. I could live with that, though not my favorite color combo. Plus I would be fine with FWD/3.2!
    Reading the forums, I found several people stating that their volvo mechanics told them the T6 is very solid but to stay away from the 3.2.

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    edited February 2015
    qbrozen said:

Seems like a lot of car for the money. The pictures look great - the car barely looks used.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    kyfdx.....Caddy changed the logo for 2015. Now, it does indeed dominate the front grill. I can take it or leave it.

Agree with you about Acura. Did they get a big display discount by putting their display at the far back corner of the show?

Funny about the BMW i8. I just watched TopGear where Clarkson gushed all over that car. My BMW dealer has been pretty honest about the i3, saying it's a tough sell.

Forgot about the Audi display. They brought the top of their line, across the board. Good job.

Infiniti-Agreed.....all I did was pass through, especially after hearing one of the "customer reps" telling someone else that their Q SUVs are all designed to "not even feel railroad track bumps". Really? I had to pass through with hip waders on.

I must be getting old. I thought the Challenger was more comfortable than the Mustang. I did like the seats better in the Mustang, though. Maybe it was the color of that Scat Pack Challenger (lime green). Somehow that really attracted me. Pig? Perhaps. But it is a very fast pig that was comfy. I want some seat time on both the Mustang GT and if I can find a Scat Pack at a dealer somewhere.

My son is thinking of selling his '12 Fiesta to his girlfriend. He's looking at the Mazda 3. But, he's also thinking of the Fit. No bad choices there.

I had a hard time getting any interest in the Toyotas there. Same with Nissans. HAve they changed the 3xxZ at all since they released the 350Z?.....aside from making the V6 a bit larger? Doesn't seem so.

Pretty women separating you from your wallet? That's the whole point isn't it? :open_mouth: