Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How Do You Feel about Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson Being Fired?

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
edited March 2015 in General
It was announced this morning that the BBC has opted not to renew the contract of Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson after the outspoken Brit smacked one of the show’s producers,

Right decision? Over-reaction? Will you still watch the show? Will it be as popular?

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    Shifty, I'm a big fan of TG - both the UK and the US versions (I know, heresy on the US version, but I take it for what it is).

Clarkson's departure puts the entire TG franchise in a peculiar situation - it makes a tremendous amount of money for the BBC - over $225M USD, I've heard - and I just don't know if it will be as popular if someone else (or elses - there's been little comment from Hammond or May) takes over.

Execs at the BBC are reviewing the situation now .. it's been stated that there will be a TG for 2016, but in what format or with whom as presenters is TBD.

I'd like to see the last 3 episodes aired, but I doubt that will happen.

Clarkson is an interesting character, but I think he dug his own grave over the past few years with his comments - and this recent "fracas" was the proverbial straw. Can't say I blame the BBC - as has been noted dozens of times on multiple sites, how many of us can strike a co-worker and keep their job?

TG had to end, someday, eventually. Just not the way I would have expected it to happen.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    It does take a lot of talent to make reviewing cars interesting, and JC was very good at that. The American version of TG is very dull in my opinion, in comparison.
  • Options

It does take a lot of talent to make reviewing cars interesting, and JC was very good at that. The American version of TG is very dull in my opinion, in comparison.

Which is why TG US switched to the 'travelogue' format the past season or two. No more Stig, no more studio audience ... the simple fact that BBC is ad free makes it easier to be critical of what you are reviewing.

I will miss the editing and cinematography of TG UK very much.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    I'm also not keen on watching beautiful cars abused, but that's just me I guess.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    There are some things an employee just cannot do and what he did was one of those things.

I once had a guy working for me that was very high maintenance but he could do the work of three people combined. I put up with more than I should have really, but one day I caught him (by pure accident) stealing something and that was the end.

Had he hit someone the result would have been the same.

BBC did what they had to do.
  • Options
    I agree. This might have been a costly decision for BBC but it was also a policy decision. This is not just about the host but about the company's integrity.
  • Options

I agree. This might have been a costly decision for BBC but it was also a policy decision. This is not just about the host but about the company's integrity.

+1 on that comment. Can't let the inmates run the asylum.

Will be interesting to see what Clarkson does next - if anything.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator