Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Baseball!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not looking too good for Detroit tonight, down 3-2 in the top of the 7th. My wife is at the game so I'm scanning the crowd shots trying to spot her. Lots of luck with that. :D
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It's all tied up in the 9th!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The way the game is going I may have another 2 or 3 hours to try to spot her in the stands. :-)

Exciting game - wish Cabrera was a faster runner than my 90 year old mom. :shades:
    edited March 2012
    Not the most exciting game but it's fun being able to go to a spring training game down here in the St. Pete area, no matter who's playing.

Tickets were $12 each, parking was $10, beer was $6. And this was at the smaller Toronto facility in Dunelin.
    My son starts college next year, and I can finally take a vacation during spring training (his Spring Break was always too late)...

But, instead of the Reds being in Sarasota, they are now in Goodyear, AZ.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Cincinnati Reds opening day was a great time, and they came away with a 4-0 shutout win!

Scalped a $20 SRO ticket, as well... so, all was good. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited April 2012
    That's fun.

Wake me up in October, will you?

(oh yeah, go Mets. All I see around here is Tigers news).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited April 2012
    The final SF Giants roster looks like they're counting on hitting their way to the Series this year. it's a decidedly offensive lineup.
    Maybe I'll have to start watching the standings after all (until they crater):

"The Baseball Team New York Bailed On—the team that got openly mocked by (of all things) a Manhattan Mini Storage ad campaign (WHY LEAVE A CITY THAT HAS SIX PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAMS, AND THE METS)—won the first weekend of the season. They ran a merry lap around the Yankees, who kicked off 2012 with three straight losses. A shift? It felt like baseball bizarro world."

WSJ link
    edited June 2012
    Miracles never cease. :D

Johan Santana Throws First No-Hitter in Mets' History (WSJ)

Even better, they beat St. Louis - I saw the Mets beat St. Louis in '69; that's when I became a fan.
    Extra bonus: That puts the Reds up 2.5 games over the Cards!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Finally got around to reading this book. Entertaining. Need to see the movie one of these years.
    GREAT book, and very good movie, too.
    Wooo hooooo..... !!!! :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Sf Giants magic number is I think....3?
    Actually, the Giants clinched a wild-card if they won last night.... but, that sounds right for the magic number to win the division..

The Reds clinched their division last night..... naturally, my tickets are for tonight.. :(

I've got first round playoff tickets, already... looking for the next round.. Checking out asking prices for World Series tickets, I'm not sure I could even afford to go.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I just bought Reds playoff tickets for the NLCS (the next round).. :blush:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Only thing to say right now (and I'm NOT a Braves fan)

Right...infield fly rule... uh huh
    well the call was correct but just too late.
    I'm not positive on that being the correct call...(it might be) but, after all, it is a judgement call.. (and, a little late, as noted)

But, it sure looks like addition of foul-line umpires for the playoffs had a lot to do with it... The left-field line umpire made the call, and he definitely had a perspective that he doesn't have for any regular season game..

Instead of running out from the infield to make the call (which definitely would give you a feel for how far out that was), he was stationed almost exactly at the same depth as the pop fly. Of course, the shortstop, under the ball and motioning with his arms that he had it.. was the catalyst for the umpire invoking the rule... You almost wonder if the shortstop hearing the umpire make the out call, was startled and thought he was being called off by the outfielder?

In the end, it was the 8th inning, and Atlanta lost by three runs... they really don't have too much to cry about.

Too bad about the Giants... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hey it's only the first inning!
    Jeter - ouch. My nephew is a year older and suffered a similar break this Spring. He's still in a walking boot going on 5+ months and relies on one crutch occasionally.

My wife had a tib/fib a few years back and she knew immediately that it was more than a turned ankle. She couldn't watch the replays.

Rooted for Robertson but want the Tigers to win the whole thing.
    "The light was on, and I was worried about it," he said. "One guy at the restaurant asked me if was I nuts, wondering why I didn't have someone to take it in for me.

"I said, "No, I don't have someone else do it. I take care of stuff myself."

Leyland's mind (Detroit News)
    25 games to go.. .the pennant race is in full bloom..

I'm going to the game, today!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2013
    Naturally I'm a Mets fan.

Ralph Houk??

Were you 5 yrs old when you got that?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I think he signed it when he was the manager. :-)

Have to go look up the roster again; seems like this one was signed sometime between '66 and '71. So I was more like 15.
    Reds win!!

In first place, where they belong!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Mets too. B)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    Rockies, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Well, the season has started right. Mets win. Yankees lose. Phillies lose. Who says there is no God?

Being the Mets, of course they have their closer go to warm up to come in, he never makes it and is now on the DL. He's already had To my John once. They say it's just inflammation but I'll feel way better in two weeks.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    The Mets are still pretty much out of the picture with the fallout from the Bernie Madoff mess, and the other big loans that have crimped their payroll. Oh well, there's always next year. :D
    They've finally gotten to the point where they have enough young players who are good enough not to be embarrassing. We'll see fro there.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Well, 6 games in we have more questions than answers. Who's got a real shortstop they want to trade?
    Wake me up in October. B)
    Nah. Then you'd miss all the fun. Like Harvey pitching tomorrow. I will go on record as saying deGrom doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone. This is the Jerry Koosman syndrome. Nobosy noticed him because they were busy noticing Seaver.
  • dochideawaydochideaway Member Posts: 3
    Anyone still watching in 2015??
    edited May 2015
    The Mets lead is slowing slipping away.

Last week my brother and his wife were in town so we went to see the Aggies play some college ball. Got to see a come from behind Aggie win - 13 to 12. I treated our group - $20 for four and we sat behind home plate. Even won a souvenir bag.

In the field across the way, we got to hear the cheering for the last few innings of the women's softball team. They took the WAC league championship this year and finished off Bakersfield that night for the WAC tournament championship. The crowd over there sounded like it was three or four times bigger than the men's baseball turnout. Of course, they had a much better record.

The women do the NCAA regionals starting Sunday in Tucson.

(btw, I'm referring to the "real" New Mexico Aggies, not that crowd over in Texas. B) )

Anyone still watching in 2015??

Sure we are... Reds have had two good games in a row, and their ace is pitching tonight.

Things are looking up!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Going to the Reds game tonight, and again on Sunday!

I love free tickets! B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Mets are back in first. I'm not expecting this to last the weekend, but I'll take it.
    I've been biting my tongue. B)
    That was probably the correct move. They're dropping back to second tonight.
    At least they haven't been playing second fiddle to Atlanta as usual.
    Long time quiet in here. Mets in first by 5. That feels funny to type. Sure, it could all go south pretty quickly but feeling better every flip of the calendar. Best trade - getting he parakeet for unknown consideration.
    edited August 2015
    Jinx. :p

Looks like we have the worst winning record of any division.
    fezo said:

Long time quiet in here. Mets in first by 5. That feels funny to type. Sure, it could all go south pretty quickly but feeling better every flip of the calendar. Best trade - getting he parakeet for unknown consideration.

Doesn't hurt that they use the Rockies as whipping boys this past weekend .. another lost year here in Colorado.

When you get a chance, I recommend reading a book entitled "The Game". Nice history of the last 20 years of MLB from a business perspective. Focuses on Selig, Fehr and Steinbrenner. Lots of interesting backstories about labor negotiations and such.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Mets never played in a 14-9 game in their history the play two in a row. And the Sunday is a perfectly normal game that you'd see in altitudes baseball is supposed to be played at....

Wacky park. Beautiful but I think the humidor must have been out of order for a couple of days.

Sounds like a great book, though not focusing on favorite people of mine....
    fezo said:

Mets never played in a 14-9 game in their history the play two in a row. And the Sunday is a perfectly normal game that you'd see in altitudes baseball is supposed to be played at....

Wacky park. Beautiful but I think the humidor must have been out of order for a couple of days.

Sounds like a great book, though not focusing on favorite people of mine....

I moved to Colorado the first year the Rockies played, so I've become a fan of sorts.

I don't think they'll ever be able to field a contending team consistently. The altitude messes with players' heads - both pitchers and hitters. You see guys hitting .350 in Denver and .240 everywhere else. Breaking balls don't break as much. Ask Mike Hampton about that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

If I was a major-league pitcher, you couldn't over-pay me to play in Denver. There is always one free agent that takes the bait, though.. Denny Neagle comes to mind.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator