Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Wife drove a 2015 CX-5 GT AWD today and loved it. Looks like there are deals to be had.

Put an offer in to trade the CC in on a 24 month lease. Long shot but we shall see. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I like the CX5. if something happened to the RDX now, I would push the wife to get one of those to replace it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Dealer stated they can't take lease vehicles on trade. Never heard that one before....I'll shop around a bit.

Anyone here know how VW credit handles lease trade-ins?
    odd. I have heard of people doing it. They just have to deal with the buy out, similar to if you just had a loan on it.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Saw the pic of the 2016 Tucson, looks like a 3/4 Sante Fe Sport, a much better looking vehicle than the current one. Like the Sportage, am hoping the '16's do away with the hard plastics as they just look cheap and with the current crop of cuv's out now, Hyundai and Kia need to up their game. Can't wait to see the new Smallest Mazda to compare it to the Honda HR-V, as I think it will become the new benchmark in this category. Can honestly say that both the Golf and HR-V have become my favorite vehicles out there as I like their size and the ability to throw them around, if you will, and they just get it right!
    Just drove the A3 to get some petrol, and it does drive just like my Golf...guess I just had forgotten since it's been a couple of months that I've been behind the wheel. Must explain why she has under 5k on the clock while I am just under 7k.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited June 2015

Dealer stated they can't take lease vehicles on trade. Never heard that one before....I'll shop around a bit.

I wonder if that is code for "the lease buyout was far higher than we could ever offer on trade, and we didn't want to make you mad?"

Changed the coolant in the Yukon today. Had to use the fluid extractor again (stuck it down the upper radiator hose) because the skid plate and the frame are in the way of getting to the lower radiator hose. It was still very messy. Would let a mechanic do it if I had to do it again, but as it stands, it should be good for five years.

I may get rid of the fluid extractor, it seems like I make a mess every time I use it and vow to let a professional do it next time. It was handy when I had a BMW with a dipstick and a top mounted oil filter, but now that I don't, I can't see much use for it.
    Maybe. The number they said they "would" peg it at was comical. 
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    edited June 2015
    stickguy said:

odd. I have heard of people doing it. They just have to deal with the buy out, similar to if you just had a loan on it.

Yes, it can be done. Stick is correct about the buyout and the calculation really isn't that much different than if it was a loan eg:

5 remaining lease payments @ $250 = $1250. Residual of $20k would mean they have to put at least 21,250 into the trade to make a deal happen, unless of course you want to roll negative equity. I have been told that the dealer often isn't subject to some of the end of lease fees as well.

I traded a leased TSX for my 2011 E92. Its usually difficult to do unless you are very near the end of your lease. Some manufacturers, BMW in particular, inflate the residuals so high that you are upside down until the bitter end of the lease.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    corvette said:

because the skid plate and the frame are in the way of getting to the lower radiator hose.

Is there a drain plug on the lower radiator? There's usually an access hole to that valve through the factory parts. On my car there's a hole through the lower air cover for a socket to go through and twist the drain plug enough to open it. Of course the coolant comes down and over everything so you move away quickly as soon as it opens.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

buying new cars is fun. but man, dealing with selling the old one is just a pain in the posterior. I seem to have unearthed all the lowballers when I reposted my ad (not sure if it is 1 guy scamming, or really 3 people all offering the same $, sight unseen).

So Fezo, better jump in while my defenses are down!

these responses "I'll give you $x tomorrow and can pick the car up any time" are just annoying. No questions about car (I guess my superior CL ad skills make that unnecessary? ) And who buys anything that way, and why should I even assume they are real? I'm sure there is a catch to it, and I don't feel like finding out.

easy to see why the majority (I assume) of people are willing to take the hit to trade their cars in.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Our local Credit Union lets us park it on their lot with a sign and a phone number. I've sold all my cars that way except the last one, which wasn't safe to drive. That one I traded in. I notice it is still on the car dealer's lot.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I don't really have a good park and sell place that I know of. If there was, I would try it.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Another wrinkle for buying and selling it yourself - Police Set up Safe Havens for Online Transactions. (Wall St. Journal).

Doesn't help with tire-kicking and test driving, but does help with the payment.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    stickguy said:

buying new cars is fun. but man, dealing with selling the old one is just a pain in the posterior. I seem to have unearthed all the lowballers when I reposted my ad (not sure if it is 1 guy scamming, or really 3 people all offering the same $, sight unseen).

these responses "I'll give you $x tomorrow and can pick the car up any time" are just annoying. No questions about car (I guess my superior CL ad skills make that unnecessary? ) And who buys anything that way, and why should I even assume they are real? I'm sure there is a catch to it, and I don't feel like finding out.

easy to see why the majority (I assume) of people are willing to take the hit to trade their cars in.

I've only run an ad once- and that was in 1995 in the local BMW chapter newsletter as well as Roundel magazine. It sold in three days, but I got phone calls for months from the magazine ad- all legit.

In the case of the '02 I simply let people know it was for sale on some of the BMW CCA and 2002 Facebook pages. I found a buyer almost immediately, but I had to wait a couple of months until he sold his Beemer.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited June 2015

stickguy said:

I've only run an ad once- and that was in 1995 in the local BMW chapter newsletter as well as Roundel magazine. It sold in three days, but I got phone calls for months from the magazine ad- all legit.

In the case of the '02 I simply let people know it was for sale on some of the BMW CCA and 2002 Facebook pages. I found a buyer almost immediately, but I had to wait a couple of months until he sold his Beemer.
    Never sold a car privately either. I've leased a lot but the few I was purchasing just never felt like messing with the private sale and the trade offer was good enough vs private party potential.

Should I ever part with the ZHP I would definitely do a private sale on that.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Are you okay with that wing thingie? Is there a "wing delete" option?

This came out of left field; my wife REALLY likes it- I guess that I'll take it for a spin tomorrow: 2015 CPO STI.
    They will really need to cut the price if they want a sale, however...

because the skid plate and the frame are in the way of getting to the lower radiator hose.
    Is there a drain plug on the lower radiator? There's usually an access hole to that valve through the factory parts. On my car there's a hole through the lower air cover for a socket to go through and twist the drain plug enough to open it. Of course the coolant comes down and over everything so you move away quickly as soon as it opens.
    Not that I was able to see. Keep in mind the lower radiator is well over a foot off the ground and hidden behind the skid plate. The Altima had a drain plug and I was able to easily change its coolant with all four wheels on the ground! At least the Yukon doesn't have a fussy coolant bleed procedure like BMW. 

Are you okay with that wing thingie? Is there a "wing delete" option?

This came out of left field; my wife REALLY likes it- I guess that I'll take it for a spin tomorrow: 2015 CPO STI.
    They will really need to cut the price if they want a sale, however...

There used to be a subdued STi Limited that deleted the boy racer gear, but no longer. It doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @roadburner - be careful with used Subarus, especially STis. The previous owner most likely didn't "only drive it to church on Sundays." For the asking price, you might as well get a new one. The guy I buy my auto parts from who knows a lot about cars got burned buying a used STi. He bought the car used, in perfect shape, and looked like it hadn't been modified. The PO had to sell it because his insurance skyrocketed from too many speeding tickets. The car ran great for a little while, but then the car just wasn't running right. He looked everything over. One day the car literally started smoking in the engine compartment after a spirited run when he pulled into work. The PO had chipped the car with one of those "undetectable" chips. He removed the piggy back chip and every single light on the dashboard lit up.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

My daughters friend just bought a 2008 WRX. Same day he brought it home, the turbo burned up (I think it caught fire? Or maybe just started smoking.

Lucky for him,meh bought it at a dealer, and they agreed to replace it.nmprivate sale, would have been an expensive "as is where is" lesson!

stickguy said:

My daughters friend just bought a 2008 WRX. Same day he brought it home, the turbo burned up (I think it caught fire? Or maybe just started smoking.

Lucky for him,meh bought it at a dealer, and they agreed to replace it.nmprivate sale, would have been an expensive "as is where is" lesson!

That's what I like about the CPO STI I found- 7 year 100k mile powertrain warranty...

stickguy said:

Funny enough, one of my best friends bought a CPO Subaru WRX STI (a 2008 I believe it was) and within a day of bringing it home, there was a small fire in the engine compartment that required a rebuild of much of the engine. Then, about 6 months ago, the car threw a rod which the dealer claimed was due to poor maintenance. Subaru ended up covering the cost after a fight, but he flipped it shortly after.

Definitely a car to buy new.
    I suspect a lot of the engine failures on the STI are similar to the a lot of the Mazdaspeed 3 failures- any doofus with a COBB AP can tune their own engine. Then there are the guys with meth injection, etc. In the Mazdaspeed forums these types of owner-induced failures are often referred to as ZZB: Zoom-Zoom-Boom!

You want to watch out for STIs that have been modified. I'd certainly check out the turbo carefully (play in the shaft) and hopefully see lots of service records.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Oh, I view a wing like roadburner views a hole in the roof.

Tomorrow I drive a Tesla. I'll offer him an even trade on the 5. Only seems fair.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Fezo, the latest road and track has a big article on the Tesla (don't ask me which model). they drove it in the snow, and on the track (I think at the same time). You would probably find it interesting.

You want to watch out for STIs that have been modified. I'd certainly check out the turbo carefully (play in the shaft) and hopefully see lots of service records.

It's a CPO with just 11K that was serviced at the selling dealer- so I'm not expecting to find any surprises.

I was stopped at a light yesterday next to one just like that, except it was dark gray instead of white. Looked fast just sitting there. Nice color for that car (disclaimer: I normally dislike white cars!)

fezo said:

Oh, I view a wing like roadburner views a hole in the roof.

Tomorrow I drive a Tesla. I'll offer him an even trade on the 5. Only seems fair.

My friend just traded in his troublesome black/black 2013 BMW ///M5 for a White Tesla Model S P85D on Saturday. I'm interested to hear his impressions and get over to his house so I can see how it drives:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Quite right, but actual surprises occur when we aren't expecting them :smile:

Forgive me, I am eternally suspicious. If my grandmother sold me a car, I'd run a CARFAX.

It's a CPO with just 11K that was serviced at the selling dealer- so I'm not expecting to find any surprises.
    I think all of Munich's twin-turbo V8s are a sketchy ownership proposition- and definitely will result in multiple debacles should you be foolish enough to keep one much past the warranty period.

I think all of Munich's twin-turbo V8s are a sketchy ownership proposition- and definitely will result in multiple debacles should you be foolish enough to keep one much past the warranty period.

The problems my friend had with his 2013 ///M5 & 2012 X5///M were enough for him to say "that's it" to Munich after a very loyal relationship (2008 X5 4.8, 2010 X5///M, 2012 X5///M, 2013 ///M5, 2010 750Li X Drive, 2014 B7 Alpina L X-Drive). The Alpina is now the only BMW in his stable. He replaced the ///M5 with the P85D this past weekend & his X5///M with a 2015 Escalade.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121
    Made it to Sedona! One tank to Santa Fe and one tank to Sedona. Love the Outback as a road trip car. More to come when I have time. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

nyccarguy said:

The problems my friend had with his 2013 ///M5 & 2012 X5///M were enough for him to say "that's it" to Munich after a very loyal relationship (2008 X5 4.8, 2010 X5///M, 2012 X5///M, 2013 ///M5, 2010 750Li X Drive, 2014 B7 Alpina L X-Drive). The Alpina is now the only BMW in his stable. He replaced the ///M5 with the P85D this past weekend & his X5///M with a 2015 Escalade.
    7 Series and V-8's...not exactly paragon's of BMW reliability.

@au1994 - He can well afford to get rid of the cars once they are out of warranty, take the depreciation hit, & write a check for the full boat on a new one. BMW couldn't fix the cars under warranty. There was a code. He stomped on the gas to merge onto a highway, the car went into limp mode, & displayed "critical drivetrain malfunction" on the screen. Back to the dealer. The last time he got a flat in the Alpina, it took the BMW dealer 3 weeks to get him a tire for it. To top it off, he had to fight them for a loaner car.

nyccarguy said:

@au1994 - He can well afford to get rid of the cars once they are out of warranty, take the depreciation hit, & write a check for the full boat on a new one. BMW couldn't fix the cars under warranty. There was a code. He stomped on the gas to merge onto a highway, the car went into limp mode, & displayed "critical drivetrain malfunction" on the screen. Back to the dealer. The last time he got a flat in the Alpina, it took the BMW dealer 3 weeks to get him a tire for it. To top it off, he had to fight them for a loaner car.

Wow...search a BMW forum for limp mode and you will see far too many hits. Another reason why a BMW will most likely not make my short list this time. Its a shame as I really like(ed) the cars. Pricing has gotten out of control as well. I was browsing my dealers site the other day and they had a 435 convertible for 69k. That's right a 3 series non-M convertible for nearly 70k. Even the 428 convertibles were pushing 60k.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Will have to check out that Road and Track article. Drove the Tesla today. What a hoot. That thing flies and does it silently. It was $108K so not today thanks.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Tried to charge the cell in the Golf today with no luck with either power plug and multiple car chargers. Looks like another stop tomorrow over at VW to see what's up, possibly a blown fuse. They worked on the way home Saturday afternoon after work and the car has sat in the garage since then. Odd really but seems my scheduled work hours were canceled for tomorrow so guess I will drive over to the dealer to see what they can do.
    I knew going in that things might happen but another unscheduled dealer stop so soon is just a bit too much right now. Time will tell what's going on here!

The Sandman :@ B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Hey Mr. Sandman, you're supposed to appreciate those German car quirks ;)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121
    Wife is getting a spa treatment so I have a few minutes to post. 

Just filled led up for the third time on trip. First tank - Colorado to Santa Fe - yielded just under 27MPG. 

Second tank - Santa Fe to Sedona - gave us 29 MPG. 

Last tank was all in town driving - 21MPG. 

We leave tomorrow for Santa Fe, then home on Saturday. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Safe travels Michael!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Speaking of the WRX and STI, I've been looking a little longingly at WRXs as they pass me on the road these days. :(

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

breld said:

Speaking of the WRX and STI, I've been looking a little longingly at WRXs as they pass me on the road these days. :(

Yup. Me too:)

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    Michael, when you go to Santa Fe there are a couple of nice inexpensive places to eat near the Plaza.  Palacio Cafe is a small family owned place with good sandwiches and great posole soup.  There is a food truck near downtown called Bang Bite that has killer burgers and a great Cuban sandwich.  We were there about a month ago and ate at both places twice.  

Highly recommended.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    edited June 2015
    Hi ... it's me again.

Last year in August I bought the used TSX wagon and I'm loving it. I see another punch, and more probably two coming shortly. First one is for the other half :) She has ZERO interest in cars, and currently commutes in a 2004 Corolla CE (roll down windows, etc). Well the paint's staring to fade, and she's ready for a few new features, so we're going to replace it. She had the following requirements:
    • Blue
    • MPG must at least match current car
    • Nav
    • Cloth (not leather) seats
    • Small-ish
    • Blue
    So ... we headed out. First up was a Toyota dealer, as this car has had literally zero problems in 105k miles since new. We test drove a new Corolla Le ECO Plus. This one didn't have nav, but it could be added if we go that direction. It was blue :smile: I was impressed at how far that car has come refinement wise. It's nice looking, drove smooth, and had a nicely finished interior considering the price point. It was CVT, but that didn't bother her at all, and it had adequate power

Next up, Honda. We drove a Fit EX cloth. This car uses NAV via an Iphone app which then uses the screen to display. Kind of neat IMO. This car, although quite small, really is like a swiss army knife with respect to how the seats fold, etc. The lane watch system which projects your blind spot onto the screen during right lane changes was neat ... but kind of silly IMO. It's so easy to drive. We did notice that the engine sounded a tad strained during on-ramp merges.

Last (for this first round) was Mazda. Mazda 3 5 door, AT, 2.0 litre engine. This really was both our favorites. The interior felt like a much more expensive car, and it drove great! It also was her favorite color of blue, which will probably be the deal sealer right there!

She still wants to drive a prius liftback, but we haven't got to that one yet.

2nd Punch:

I want (for myself) a very old land cruiser. Pre-1998 with the i6 and solid front axles. A LX450 would work too. This will be used for off-road camping. My brother has this setup (with prolly 10k in mods) and it's such a capable fun car off road. Started that search. Hope cars that old still count for this group!

edited June 2015
    Old cars definitely count, just get ready to pay through the nose for a used TLC! :'(

Those things hold their value like crazy.
    The price is silly but if you want something unique.....http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5066569520.html

The price is silly but if you want something unique.....http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5066569520.html

Did the poster add an extra "0" on the end of that by accident?

yeah, just the thing I want to drive in traffic from the "wrong" side of the car!

So, based on an incredible lack of interest in Roberto (the Volvo), looks like we are on to plan B. Keeping it. makes no sense to cheap sell it really. so, we will probably keep it, and just work out who gets what. Probably go with sending the Hyundai down south, and I can use the Volvo as the spare around-town car. When the princess is home, can switch back. really not that big a deal, since we have the acura, and at this point I don't go anywhere.

Can always change at some point in the future if i want to. since it will be back every few months (maybe fall break and spring break, Thanksgiving for sure, winter break, etc.). At least I won't have to worry about the car on the trips back and forth!

maybe someone comes along and finally offers up on the Volvo. never know. I will have an extra though 1.5 years from now, when she does a term abroad in the spring of Junior year. could always sell it then.

so we shall see.