Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

If I changed my mind about a car, what are some tips to negotiate a trade-in?

amymarie1amymarie1 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2015 in General
I recently purchased a used car that is okay, but I am having second thoughts due to being offered a new job where I won't use it as much, and it may also sit idle for 2 months over the summer. There is another car available for a few hundred more at the lot that is much better suited for my new lifestyle. I know the dealership absolutely has the right to refuse and it is a headache in paperwork for them, but does anyone have tips or suggestions on how to negotiate possibly trading in? And thoughts on if the dealership would be open to this since they'd make a bit more money on the deal that would maybe cover paperwork hassle? Thank you!

Answers

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm sure that store will be happy to take the car you bought in as a trade for that other car but is this really worth it to you? I wouldn't expect them to give you what you paid for the first car and if they do, I wouldn't expect a big discount on car number two.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what the benefits to you would be if you do this but you can certainly see how the numbers work out.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You don't have a lot of power in this type of negotiation and it's mostly a matter of how much goodwill the dealer would like to extend to you. The only strong card you hold, which isn't all that great, is that you can sell your car privately for more than the dealer might give you on a trade.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    That's correct. The shopper here is NOT in a position of strength!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Easy enough to ask, you never know.

Can You Return the Car You Just Bought?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    amymarie1 said:

I recently purchased a used car that is okay, but I am having second thoughts due to being offered a new job where I won't use it as much, and it may also sit idle for 2 months over the summer. There is another car available for a few hundred more at the lot that is much better suited for my new lifestyle. I know the dealership absolutely has the right to refuse and it is a headache in paperwork for them, but does anyone have tips or suggestions on how to negotiate possibly trading in? And thoughts on if the dealership would be open to this since they'd make a bit more money on the deal that would maybe cover paperwork hassle? Thank you!

Buyer's remorse is an apt description for what you feel.

It fades with time... just sit tight.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    There is another car available for a few hundred more at the lot that is much better suited for my new lifestyle.

Are you of a wavering mind or what exactly is this lifestyle ? You want to change from a car to a SUV ?

If you ask politely , you may be able to change the car minus the sales tax paid.