Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I need help with buying a car online.

thatpinoythatpinoy Member Posts: 5
edited June 2016 in Nissan
I am buying my first car online from a private seller. The car is in California, I am in Virginia Beach, so taking a look and physically seeing the car is out of question. I have however gone through a good video tour of the car. The problem is going through with the purchase. I have no idea how the process goes and what fees I may encounter or what documents I need, not to mention securing the payment.

The check is coming from my bank, a used auto loan. The loan is good to go, I just don't know how to go about it all without having security. The owner has agreed to send me the title, though. I figured I would take the title to the dmv, and settle things there to make the car legally mine. That would make it legally mine, wouldn't it?

Please fill me in on anything I should be weary of. Documents, fees, anything. Thanks.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How is the car getting to you? Shipping it?
  • thatpinoythatpinoy Member Posts: 5
    Yeah I'm going to ship it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The bank that gave you the loan should tell you everything you need.
    It's always an issue sending money across country with the expectation that the seller will send the goods to you. An inexpensive car part is one thing, a whole car is another.

Is the bank going to put a lien on the title? They may have to be the ones to do the legwork with DMV (but most likely you'll have to drive the car to DMV when you get it to verify mileage, etc.). A lot depends on the state where you register it.

Buying a Car Sight Unseen
    Problem resolved. Once the title gets to me I will be able to make it legally mine then be able to ship the vehicle.
    Should anyone from VA buy a vehicle from out of state here are the documents you will need:
    -the car title signed over to the seller
    -bill of sale; which must have the VIN, the amount the buyer paid for the vehicle, date purchased, and signed by both the buyer and the seller
    -proof of address
    -proof of insurance
    -if financed address where the loaner wants the title mailed to
    -VSA17A
    -SUT1A
    *VSA17A & SUT1A can be found here http://www.dmv.state.va.us/forms/ both forms must be printed and completed.
    Among these documents there is:
    -titling fee of $10
    -registration fee of $40
    -tax; which is 4.10%
    I have another suggestion. Have the seller verify that the VIN number on his title matches the one on the vehicle, and that the VIN plate is clearly visible. If there's a typo on his title, or your inspector can't find the VIN (some older cars), all hell breaks loose.
    Thanks for the tip, I will definitely do that.
    Curious how the transaction is going to work - you send the seller some money and the seller then sends you the title?

What happens if the title gets "lost in the mail"?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    What kind of car is it... that you have to go all the way across the country to get it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I decided against buying the car. Plus I was really going out on a limb for this.
    Yeah, the seller was going to mail me the title first, without the check coming in.
    It is a 2011 370Z Nismo.
    Seller is pretty crazy to do that.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A reporter is looking to talk with someone who is currently in the market for a new pickup truck. If you're willing talk about which truck(s) you are considering please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than June 8, 2016.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    thatpinoy said:

I decided against buying the car. Plus I was really going out on a limb for this.
    Yeah, the seller was going to mail me the title first, without the check coming in.
    It is a 2011 370Z Nismo.

Good idea.. this really didn't pass the smell test.

Keep looking, and you should be able to find something within a day's drive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator