Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    jmonroe said:

Personally, I like The Weather Channel, it's on in the background right now. Living in South Florida for almost 47 years now, next week actually, I rely on them to help get us through hurricanes and such. We dodged a big bullet this week and always have that channel on when we go through hurricanes. Watched for days after Andrew since we only lost power for about 17 hours. Wilma left us powerless for almost 9 days so didn't see much then. But like I said earlier, TWC gives a lot of great info and shows pics of all the mess.
    Matthew was far enough offshore so we only got a few inches of rain showers and moderate winds, nothing more than 40 mph, thank G-d. losing ones power for even a few hours ain't much fun, those 9 days after Wilma was like a life's sentence! One never realizes how nice a warm shower is or even warm clean clothes is until they are taken away for an extended period of time. Wilma traumatized me literally, and whenever I hear about any storm starting to get close, I get a bit anxious and go into "hurricane mode". Make sure we have petrol in all 4 vehicles, get extra food and other needs and basically do all I can to be somewhat comfortable. With Matt, my oldest decided to stay at home with her boyfriend up in West Palm Beach which got hit a bit harder than we did. But, I was in constant contact for days before reminding her what she needed to do to get ready. guess I am one of those dad's who needs to make sure their kids are taken care of at all costs. i would've preferred them to be down here, but she's an adult now so I had to defer to her. Didn't like it but hey, she's grown up just like we taught her to...she took responsibility for herself.

The Sandman :)B)

Glad to hear you are OK but I figured you were since my widow SIL in Delray Beach said they dodged a bullet when I talked to her on Friday (I think) after Mathew passed by you guys and headed North.

I remember visiting my Brother and SIL after Wilma hit down there but the only damage they had was the loss of their screened in pool enclosure. It took them several months to have that replaced because almost everyone in their community and many many others down there had to have theirs replaced too. As for power, I think he said they were without power for about 2 days not 9 like you.

I know Mike is still in the hospital but his placed was probably spared too.

You guys have great weather which is a draw for people from the North like where I live, but man, when it turns on you I guess all you can do is be prepared, leave for a few days, or duck. :o

jmonroe
    I nearly froze to death in Ft. Myers several years ago. Started playing golf one morning, bright and sunny. A front came thru and temp dropped down in the mid 40's with misting rain and 30 mph wind. I'm wearing shorts and a short sleeved golf shirt. Next day was in the 70's.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• isellhondas4isellhondas4 Guest Posts: 34
    fordfool said:

OK, I started about the time these forums started in 1996. For YEARS all I had to go was go to Edmunds and my username isellhondas AND my password would auto fill. Never a problem until a couple of months ago I couldn't get it to work. a Moderator, either Karen or Stever walked me through a process that restored everything. I was SO HAPPY! All was well for a couple of months and then I lost everything again. I have tried several times and have spent HOURS trying to get my identity back. Now nobody even knows who I am.
    Craig

I experienced the same problem. Several years ago the user name FORDFOOL got wonky, so I setup FORDFOOL2. Now, once in a while, the latter ID will popup when I sign in. I have to go to the manual sign-in and change the info back to that of FORDFOOL, then sign-in again.

I would think someone in Edmunds tech should be able to restore your original ID or, at the very least, assign all of your original information and badges to the new ID. You've earned that.
    Thank you! I hope that can somehow happen.

Craig
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

Great...I just got a pop up that said " congratulations you've earned the ten comments badge"

What do you expect? To get to 20K posts you gotta be here for a while.

You newbees sure do expect a lot.

Are you millennial or something? ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    New car looks nice Driver
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    hey, most people don't get to go back and do life over. Enjoy it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429

Great...I just got a pop up that said " congratulations you've earned the ten comments badge"

Way to go Craig!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited October 2016

Let's try to get isell4 100 likes, comments and lols, but not any flags! :D

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

berri said:

Thanks berri. It isn't nice having to wait 4 months for my new car to come in.......the anticipation is a little hard to take.....2 months down, 2 to go. I think I will really appreciate it once it gets here.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    driver100 said:

Let's try to get isell4 100 likes, comments and lols, but not any flags! :D
    I did my part.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Me too!

Let's set a record. Most likes for Isell.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    edited October 2016

You newbies can move right along if you jump in. :p

If you like you can take over the oldfarmer50 moniker. Next week I'll be calling it quits from farming after 32 years. I had planned to do it last year but my wife refused to pay for the new Ford. Only goes back to 2006 but that's better than nothing. People will think I've suddenly got smarter.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

selling the farmstead finally, or just stopping the planting and harvesting?

If you like you can take over the oldfarmer50 moniker. Next week I'll be calling it quits from farming after 32 years. I had planned to do it last year but my wife refused to pay for the new Ford. Only goes back to 2006 but that's better than nothing. People will think I've suddenly got smarter.

Congrats on retiring from farming.

stickguy said:

Hopefully both but for now we'll stay put until the right buyer happens along. One hot lead came from a local talk radio host who quipped on air that he would like to move to my neighborhood. Even mentioned a landmark about a quarter mile away. He said he'd like a house or a lot to build on...well, I've got both and you guys have seen the view.

Who knows, I may get to be driver100's annoying southern neighbor to go along with his tree cutter in Canada. B)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Congrats on retiring from farming.

Love it!

good luck with the sale. hope you get what you want out of it.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091

Wonderful! Only 19,990 to go! ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

driver100 said:

berri said:

Thanks berri. It isn't nice having to wait 4 months for my new car to come in.......the anticipation is a little hard to take.....2 months down, 2 to go. I think I will really appreciate it once it gets here.
    I'm sure you will.

Keep this one safe, don't stop at anymore yellow lights! :'(

jmonroe

stickguy said:

good luck with the sale. hope you get what you want out of it.

I'm sure he will. Like the old farmers say when they retire... "they just ain't making dirt no more".

jmonroe

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704

Yah! The save isellhondas4 campaign is really, really working! I knew we could effect real change for good.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

We had a relative who had a farm. He was asked what he would do if he won a $1 million. He said he would just keep farming until it was all gone.

Good luck with the sale of the farm. Make sure you find all those tin cans with money in them before you sign the final papers.

You can certainly be my Florida neighbor I think we would get along fine - just don't cut down any trees :@

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Happy Columbus Day to all. Vehicle volume sales have slowed down considerably from last year's record so I guessing there must some good deals on the 2016s; But the papers (in Boston anyway) show otherwise. What gives?

Yah! The save isellhondas4 campaign is really, really working! I knew we could effect real change for good.

Whenever Isell4 posts, we all have to give him likes and lol's.....just don't press the flag button by mistake or we could lose him again.

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

berri said:

I'm sure you will.

jmonroe
    I am not sure uyou were here when I heard from the "Supervisor of Accident Reconstruction". I may be repeating myself for some but he said:
    *I did the right thing by stopping for the yellow light
    *You can't argue with physics and science, the truck was not a safe distance behind or he would have stopped.
    *The cop has to rewrite the accident report for their records, which is a real slap in the face for him
    *The cop will be monitored to see how his accident reports are written up
    *They will retrain this cop to look at the scene of the accident and use that when recording, not go by the driver at faults version of events
    *They will review training for future cops.

He made it sound like it would be a long slow process to charge the truck driver at this point. I am OK with what was done, though I think there is still a very dangerous truck driver on the roads.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    driver100 said:

We had a relative who had a farm. He was asked what he would do if he won a $1 million. He said he would just keep farming until it was all gone.

Good luck with the sale of the farm. Make sure you find all those tin cans with money in them before you sign the final papers.

You can certainly be my Florida neighbor I think we would get along fine - just don't cut down any trees :@
    Speaking of farming and global warming. With the continuing rise in sea levels, Dutch (?) scientists have developed a way of growing potatoes in saline soil to the point that farmers in Bangladesh are producing bumper crops of potatoes in barren salt laden soil.

With innovations like that in agronomy perhaps we will not starve after all.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151

driver100 said:

Make sure you find all those tin cans with money in them before you sign the final papers.

Reminds me of a neighbor a few down the road. They moved from here to a newer home. Weeks after home sold, She came back one morning when buyers were gone at work and was digging in the back yard area. She didn't realize a neighbor was watching what she was doing. A little side note is her husband was alleged to have stolen money from his employer by going each morning and withdrawing an amount from the ATM using the company card. Rumor is a payback settlement was reached so there was no criminal verdict.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

berri said:

I'm sure you will.

jmonroe
    I am not sure uyou were here when I heard from the "Supervisor of Accident Reconstruction". I may be repeating myself for some but he said:
    *You can't argue with physics and science, the truck was not a safe distance behind or he would have stopped.
    *The cop has to rewrite the accident report for their records, which is a real slap in the face for him
    *They will retrain this cop to look at the scene of the accident and use that when recording, not go by the driver at faults version of events

He made it sound like it would be a long slow process to charge the truck driver at this point. I am OK with what was done, though I think there is still a very dangerous truck driver on the roads.
    I saw one of your posts a while ago where you mentioned that a Supervisor of Accident Reconstruction got involved but what you say now explains it a lot more. I always felt that the cop was pretty looney to mention that the truck driver thought you would go through the yellow light so he wasn't prepared to stop. Any cop with those views should be flipping burgers.

In any case, my suggestion to go through a yellow light will keep a lot of cars and trucks off your bumper. :'(

jmonroe

bwia said:

driver100 said:

Speaking of farming and global warming. With the continuing rise in sea levels, Dutch (?) scientists have developed a way of growing potatoes in saline soil to the point that farmers in Bangladesh are producing bumper crops of potatoes in barren salt laden soil.

I saw that segment on the news too and thought it was pretty clever of that guy to experiment with salty soil.

I'm just hoping that my favorite snack food, potato chips, will now be cheaper because one production step can now be eliminated. ;)

jmonroe

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

berri said:

I'm sure you will.

jmonroe

I saw one of your posts a while ago where you mentioned that a Supervisor of Accident Reconstruction got involved but what you say now explains it a lot more. I always felt that the cop was pretty looney to mention that the truck driver thought you would go through the yellow light so he wasn't prepared to stop. Any cop with those views should be flipping burgers.

In any case, my suggestion to go through a yellow light will keep a lot of cars and trucks off your bumper. :'(

jmonroe
    Or keep an eye on your rear view mirror when you do stop.

• js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    An Acura observation -

I've seen some posters here refer to their older Acuras as being "pre-beak." I've surmised this to mean that they were thankful they had an example from before Acura ruined the front end look on all their offerings. I've seen commercials for the 2017 MDX and then saw my first one on the road this morning on the way to work. Very handsome, particularly from the front. I wonder if Acura is officially entering their "post-beak" phase and if this look will spread to other vehicles. I also wonder if they took a lot of flack for all those years in between. In my opinion, for cars that are generally very nice looking from every other angle, it went on way too long.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    But now the MDX is almost unrecognizable as an Acura without its beak. They made it look almost generic. They can't win!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

bwia said:

driver100 said:

Don't bet on that. All it takes is some crack pot to say that somehow, someway it's not good for us then for some celebrity to endorse it then a very vocal minority will try to get it banned. Just look at vaccinations.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Anyone else having to sign in multiple times to get into these forums? Tends to go like this; sign in and told no longer valid, then takes you to same sign in box, then takes you to Edmunds were you have to go back to forums and then click your name by the sign in. Seems like it is getting a little too Microsoft B)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    berri said:

Anyone else having to sign in multiple times to get into these forums? Tends to go like this; sign in and told no longer valid, then takes you to same sign in box, then takes you to Edmunds were you have to go back to forums and then click your name by the sign in. Seems like it is getting a little too Microsoft B)

Yes.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    berri said:
    The message I got makes me think that they revamped the site and the sign in page has a different address now and if your computer us pulling up the sign on page from a cached page you might have that problem. But that's just a guess. 

edited October 2016
    It's happened a few times ta me. It says "Howdy Stranger! Looks like you're new around these parts. Let's get you ta sign in." I just sign in with my usual user name and password and I'm in like Flint. It is annoying, but it's the exception for that to happen, not the normal.

driver100 - the cop in your accident case was not properly trained, but you already get that. He should've shown you a lot more respect and interview time, too. As for your intersection driving, heh, I was taught ta begin braking to stop if there's already a yellow caution light shing up above. If you want or safely can, you can proceed on through the light (IOW's punch it!). But emphasis is on either method of travel.

Having said that, as has been mentioned, looking in your rear view mirror would be optimum, if you have time. Sometimes a person just doesn't have time ta do this, in which case Mr. Inattentive Truckdriver should've not been following you so close, so he could hit his brakes and have avoided a nasty collision with you. He is an ongoing road hazard as it now stands. The best of fortune to you going forward.

• fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    (1) Auto lease rejection rate at two-year high,
    (2) 31% of new car sales are leases,
    (3) leases most common for luxury brands.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/business/money/2016/09/20/Falling-number-of-credit-approvals-for-car-leases-not-necessarily-a-bad-sign/stories/201609200032
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited October 2016
    A couple of interesting things in that article:

Interest rates are usually higher on leases than car loans. According to WalletHub’s recent survey of car manufacturers’ financing arms, auto dealers charge 1.45 percent on average 36-month car loans versus 4.58 percent APR for leases.

Mr. Hall of Swapalease said 31 of every 100 new car sales last year was a lease, which is a record high. He said consumers are drawn to car leases because of the low expense involved in driving newer cars.
    I thought the interest rate on leases was supposed to be very low, I was under the impression that was part of the appeal of leasing. Apparently I thought wrong.

And from all of the talk I see here in Edmunds about leasing, I was under the impression that the percentage of new car sales going via lease would be higher than 31%.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,268
    henryn said:

A couple of interesting things in that article:

Interest rates are usually higher on leases than car loans. According to WalletHub’s recent survey of car manufacturers’ financing arms, auto dealers charge 1.45 percent on average 36-month car loans versus 4.58 percent APR for leases.

Mr. Hall of Swapalease said 31 of every 100 new car sales last year was a lease, which is a record high. He said consumers are drawn to car leases because of the low expense involved in driving newer cars.
    I thought the interest rate on leases was supposed to be very low, I was under the impression that was part of the appeal of leasing. Apparently I thought wrong.

And from all of the talk I see here in Edmunds about leasing, I was under the impression that the percentage of new car sales going via lease would be higher than 31%.

I don't know where the author is pulling his data from; I would say that over 95% of the lease numbers I quote are less than the 4.58% cited. In fact, the only cars where the lease rate is higher than that is the Yukon / Tahoe / Suburban and limited edition or sporty models (Mustang GT, Charger / Challenger R/T, etc.).

The lease on my Jetta is at .12% (yes, that's point 12 - almost free money. I think the total amount of interest I'm paying on my lease over 36 months is less than $200.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited October 2016

stickguy said:

Hopefully both but for now we'll stay put until the right buyer happens along. One hot lead came from a local talk radio host who quipped on air that he would like to move to my neighborhood. Even mentioned a landmark about a quarter mile away. He said he'd like a house or a lot to build on...well, I've got both and you guys have seen the view.

Who knows, I may get to be driver100's annoying southern neighbor to go along with his tree cutter in Canada. B)
    A farmer down in Oklahoma won the state lottery last year, $10 million. When asked what he would do with all the money, he said, just keep farming until I lose all that too. EDIT: driver beat me to it !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I wonder if they are counting something else into the interest rate calculation (like APR on a mortgage?)

edited October 2016

driver100 - the cop in your accident case was not properly trained, but you already get that. He should've shown you a lot more respect and interview time, too. As for your intersection driving, heh, I was taught ta begin braking to stop if there's already a yellow caution light shing up above. If you want or safely can, you can proceed on through the light (IOW's punch it!). But emphasis is on either method of travel.

Having said that, as has been mentioned, looking in your rear view mirror would be optimum, if you have time. Sometimes a person just doesn't have time ta do this, in which case Mr. Inattentive Truckdriver should've not been following you so close, so he could hit his brakes and have avoided a nasty collision with you. He is an ongoing road hazard as it now stands. The best of fortune to you going forward.

iluv, One retired insurance executive said to me "either the cop didn't like you or your ride". I think that is possible, because he wasn't very respectful to me or my wife. I would say he treated us with some contempt. It may have been, he was sympathetic to the working guy who was driving the truck. I mentioned these things a bit to the supervisor, but, I don't think he wanted to go there....he told me the cop wasn't trained properly. I felt like going on a radio show or writing a newspaper article, but, I don't want to get involved in litigation etc.

About looking in your rear view mirror when stopping. I do that about 80% of the time whenever possible. This time I knew the light would change - it had been green for a long time and the pedestrian warning was flashing, and I picked my point to stop or go through....while doing that I saw a few cars ready to turn left, I saw bus shelters which could mean pedestrians, I saw pedestrians including children waiting to cross and I saw cars ready to go when the light going the other way changed. There were just too many things to watch and make a decision for me to even glance in the mirror, but, since I had plenty of time I brought the car to a cushioned stop so that anyone behind me should have known what I was about to do.

We saw the movie Sully this weekend and it is a terrific movie. He landed the plane on the Hudson River and saved 155 people. They tried to nail him for not taking the plane to one of two airports. I won't give away anything, but, I felt like Sully trying to prove my innocence. Excellent movie!

Definitely looks better without the beak;

Looks a bit like the MB circle or the VW circle in the grill. A lot of people didn't like the beak look and their sales dropped, you would think they would fix it sooner than they did. It was distinctive, but, not in a good way.

I wouldn't mind seeing 'Sully'. Sounds entertaining!

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    henryn said:

Why would you think effective lease finance charge rate is lower? It can be only if it were heavily subsidized. When you add all the fees, it's even higher. The secret of low lease payment on luxury cars is the unrealistic residual. In fact, higher residual results in slightly higher interest charge (MF times higher average), but it's offset by the lower overall capital payment (that's where the manufacturer takes the bath). Commercial (market rate, unsubsidized) leases are even more expensive, as with those banks will set up realistic residuals and charge even more fees. Lower payment comes very expensive, but some people see $100/month difference and go crazy without doing real math.

So far I never leased for that very reason - every time I did the math on vehicles I wanted to acquire, the number were clearly higher on front of finance charges. Lower payment was always quite expensive. My model trims were never the big movers, so the rates were not set too aggressively. On the other hand, the loan APR's were in line, regardless of the model trims.

I think 31 percent leases is really high already. I'm sure the higher go in the market, the higher the percentage. Perhaps this forum may be skewed by people owning more expensive vehicles.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

stickguy said:

I wonder if they are counting something else into the interest rate calculation (like APR on a mortgage?)

They should add acquisition and disposal fees into the effective APR (most of the time there are no fees of that nature with a straight loan). But often times even simple MF*2400 gets you a fairly high rate.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited October 2016
    Michaell said:

I don't know where the author is pulling his data from; I would say that over 95% of the lease numbers I quote are less than the 4.58% cited. In fact, the only cars where the lease rate is higher than that is the Yukon / Tahoe / Suburban and limited edition or sporty models (Mustang GT, Charger / Challenger R/T, etc.).

The lease on my Jetta is at .12% (yes, that's point 12 - almost free money. I think the total amount of interest I'm paying on my lease over 36 months is less than $200.

4.58% sounds right if you add acquisition and disposal fees, which could total over $1000. Also, add number of non manufacturer-sponsored leases, at commercial rates, which often come with even more fees and much higher rates. They still may give you $100 less per month on that Corolla or Civic for 36 months, which may be enough for some people to sign up.

Also, to get 0.12%, your money factor would have to be 0.00005. I suppose it's possible, almost of equivalent to 0% APR on a loan. Wonder your acquisition fee, when rolled into APR - what would it be. Also, if you don't pick up another VW, you'd pay disposal fee. So free money may not be so free, after all.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,268
    dino001 said:

Michaell said:

4.58% sounds right if you add acquisition and disposal fees, which could total over $1000. Also, add number of non manufacturer-sponsored leases, at commercial rates, which often come with even more fees and much higher rates. They still may give you $100 less per month on that Corolla or Civic for 36 months, which may be enough for some people to sign up.

Also, to get 0.12%, your money factor would have to be 0.00005. I suppose it's possible, almost of equivalent to 0% APR on a loan. Wonder your acquisition fee, when rolled into APR - what would it be. Also, if you don't pick up another VW, you'd pay disposal fee. So free money may not be so free, after all.

Yes, my MF was .00005. My acquisition fee was added into my capitalized cost, so my total rent charge includes whatever paltry amount that few hundred dollars adds.

I traded in my leased Hyundai Elantra GT to the VW dealer with two payments left, so I didn't pay the disposition fee on the Hyundai. I'm sure I could do the same thing again when I get to the end of my VW lease, if I decide to go with a different brand.

As an example, the MF on any BMW, 2017 or 2017, is .00136 this month - 3.26% APR. That numbers has only moved by .00001 or .00002 over the last 6-8 months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited October 2016
    My point is, to me acquisition fee is part of cost of money, not part of vehicle price. If you rolled it in, you paid that very small paid extra in installments, but overall it was still there. It's of course fungible, you can either say you paid more for the Jetta, or for the money on the Jetta. Either way, you paid it.

Also, on early trade of a leased vehicle, there is a payoff amount calculated by the lessor (and it includes fees, I'm sure). So, if the trade value was "in the money", you were OK, but if it wasn't, the missing value was somehow paid there, either by Jetta's price adjustment, or by disposal. Perhaps, the dealer "ate" that, but somehow I doubt it.

2018 430i Gran Coupe